PDA

View Full Version : Results by Year Forum

alfajeffster
Mar 8th, 2012, 03:22 AM
I was talking about this with Rollo, and he thought a suggestion of mine might work. The results by year threads are clogging up the Blast forum, and sometimes I have to navigate to page 2 to continue with a thread I'm contributing to. What does everyone think of moving the results by year to its own forum? Think about it, and post your thoughts here. I'm not stirring anything up, it's just a suggestion, and best to see what people think. Jeffster:)

Rollo
Mar 8th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks for posting this Jeff.:)

As I was telling Jeff, I'll go with the majority vote on this one. I'll be gone for about a week. When I get back if the majority wants a separate forum I'll go ahead and do that.

Seleção82
Mar 8th, 2012, 07:00 PM
I fully support Jeff's suggestion!

tommystar
Mar 9th, 2012, 05:02 PM
I thought these year-by-year should be moved to a separate section, like the Grand Slam results or sg.
Not only the clogging, but if I use the search field here in the blast, and I am looking for a particulas player, whether her own thread, or searching stories about her, all of the year-by-year threads come up as results for the search, it's not easy to navigate.

DavidK
Mar 11th, 2012, 02:02 PM
It does seem to me that we have two very different forums. I'm not sure which is clogging up which. If I were designing BFTP from scratch, upon entering the forum there would be two ways to go - one toward discussion and one toward history. The results, rankings, photos and biographies would go in the history section. I don't know anything about the mechanics of creating forums within forums and don't know if this proposal would make accessing the results threads more problematic. If they are to be separated I would like to see the history section be as prominent as possible.

LightWarrior
Mar 12th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Thanks for posting this Jeff.:)

As I was telling Jeff, I'll go with the majority vote on this one. I'll be gone for about a week. When I get back if the majority wants a separate forum I'll go ahead and do that.

Really a week ? That's 3 days and you couldn't help posting on your ancient year results threads...again.:rolleyes:
I mean once again seriously you're killing this forum with these threads.

alfajeffster
Mar 14th, 2012, 09:59 PM
I can't believe with over 200 views, only a tiny handful of us have any opinion on the matter. If there's a behind-the-scenes issue that's been brewing about this topic, I don't want to know about it. I just thought it would be nice to have everyone share what they'd like to see. Judging by the low turnout, it's impossible to get a feel for what people think. I'm not the type to complain afterward, not having expressed my opinion. Hopefully everyone else is on a cruise somewhere, and BFTP is not on the agenda!;)

Seleção82
Mar 14th, 2012, 10:31 PM
I can't believe with over 200 views, only a tiny handful of us have any opinion on the matter. If there's a behind-the-scenes issue that's been brewing about this topic, I don't want to know about it. I just thought it would be nice to have everyone share what they'd like to see. Judging by the low turnout, it's impossible to get a feel for what people think. I'm not the type to complain afterward, not having expressed my opinion. Hopefully everyone else is on a cruise somewhere, and BFTP is not on the agenda!;)

I am afraid that LightWarrior is more than right, so too speak. The results by year threads are not going to kill the forum, they already did it. Judging by the current extent of participation in the admiration threads, one is drawn to this conclusion. Obviously a great deal of the formerly regular posters already left the Blast.

alfajeffster
Mar 15th, 2012, 02:05 AM
It does seem to me that we have two very different forums. I'm not sure which is clogging up which. If I were designing BFTP from scratch, upon entering the forum there would be two ways to go - one toward discussion and one toward history. The results, rankings, photos and biographies would go in the history section. I don't know anything about the mechanics of creating forums within forums and don't know if this proposal would make accessing the results threads more problematic. If they are to be separated I would like to see the history section be as prominent as possible.

I think the basic idea is to give Results by Year its own forum, not a sub-forum of the Blast. There are plenty of people here who love to sit down with stats and facts and results by year, and probably just as many who just want to discuss a particular player they admire, their tennis games, and other player tid-bits about them. I personally don't see how a page or two full of results by year really fits into the latter concept. What's the problem? Are we running out of room? I'd like to log into a Results by Year on occasion to see what a particular player did in a particular year, and it's an invaluable library of information to draw from- not sure how much I'd be able to contribute or even enjoy wading through list after list of stats like that.

Grafiati
Mar 15th, 2012, 11:59 AM
I agree that results threads should somehow be separate from discussion threads.

alfajeffster
Mar 16th, 2012, 09:30 AM
This is a perfect example- I almost couldn't find this thread this morning.

alfajeffster
Mar 19th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Bump rescue from page 2.

Rollo
Mar 19th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Really a week ?

Yes, really.

It would have been sooner except you opted not to post a separate thread as I suggested. Thanks to Alfa for posting this and giving everyone a chance to weigh in. A week gave the rest of the board a chance to have their say. I'm usually not going to make major changes based on one suggestion.

That's 3 days and you couldn't help posting on your ancient year results threads...again.:rolleyes:

Wow. Ancient history huh? Well, guess what-It's a history forum. Over in GM Chris Evert is ancient history. We are here to celebrate the past of our sport. That includes things like admiration threads AND research. I don't see anyone in here running down your "ancient" threads.

Ditch the tude and I'll be a lot more likely to not to adopt the one I'm getting on this.

I mean once again seriously you're killing this forum with these threads.

I understand it's an inconvenience. It will not "kill" the forum though. With ten years us behind us things like this are a little bump.

Rollo
Mar 19th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Having let off my steam I do see that the majority has spoken on this. I'll create some kind of separate forum for the yearly results threads.

Please bear in mind this may still take a few days-I can't wave a magic wand a create a new forum. I'll need to ask the admins. I also want to consult with DavidK on this.

The final thing will actually moving all of the individual threads.

I'll keep everyone updated here in this thread.

Rollo
Mar 19th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Zamboni quickly agreed to creating a separate forum.

I'm happy to report it now exists.

I put 1973 in there as a test. If this is ok with DavidK I'll move the threads one decade at a time.

alfajeffster
Mar 19th, 2012, 05:15 PM
:bounce:

Rollo
Mar 19th, 2012, 11:02 PM
:bounce:

Glad you're happy Alfa. It was a good idea IMO-thanks to both LightWarrior, who first suggested it, and yourself, for seconding it and starting this thread.

Rollo
Mar 21st, 2012, 04:56 AM
Ok-the great thread migration of 2012 has started.

The 1970s have been moved.

Rollo
Mar 21st, 2012, 02:56 PM
and the 1930s