PDA

View Full Version : DO I Work In a Hostile Environment?....

laschutz
Mar 6th, 2012, 03:02 PM
hi everyone! just wondering if you all think i work in what would be considered a "hostile work environment"...

here's a few anecdotes... my boss is nuts... she is forever flipping out on all of us,and everyday she commits the "cardinal" sin of when she is mad and angry on a employee, what does she do? she goes off on that employee in front of all of us! everyone knows (even if you've never been a manager) that whether your a manager at a fast food place or a multi=million dollar company you do not berate employees to and in front of other employees. not to mentioned she uses profanity... let me see, the last time i heard her she said after getting over the phone with i guess someone who was complaining about this one employee " i swear if i hear one more complaint about (insert name) she's gone! stupid dumb bitch!"....

she constantly talks about and rips on employees in front of other employees another huge NO NO.. and yes, sometimes she rips on a employee to their face in front of other employees. for instance, in regards to me..

about a month ago.. i made a mistake and told someone over the phone the wrong answer.. i admit that.. but what does she do when i get off the phone later? she motions me over to a computer someone's else's computer and in front of everyone says "your telling people such and such, that's wrong ( which i didn't know it was wrong i might add).. this is what you are supposed to be telling that and... now here is when it gets bad! she knows where i live in fact lives only 1 street away from me.. so she then says to me and in front of others " you keep on telling people the wrong answer, i know where you live, i'll give them your address and you can give them money out of your pocket!" to me that is a threat! i mean she made it personal with that comment! earlier she told someone over the phone i'm guessing a customer that i was "lazy".. excuse me!

she has made other people even cry...

everything is great and she's all nicey nicey when everything is PERFECT, but heaven forbid if something goes wrong!

let's see what else: well the place is the most negative work place i have ever worked at! everyone constantly back stabbing each other, talking about each other and so on, everyday i might add!

another thing: i'm the only guy that works in this call center, and just a couple of weeks ago my manager came back from vacation and brought some male model calendar for all the women to ooh and aah over and this calendar still sits in our little back office for these women to browse thru. isn't that wrong and a form of sexual harassment? i mean what if i brought in a playboy (okay maybe that's different?!) but what if i brought in a racy female calendar?... part of me thinks i'm being too "petty" with this particular thing..

and lastly.. everyday me and the other employees are getting literally poisoned by the next door store! it's a nail salon, and everday we inhale the fumes since we share a wall and everyday we can smell the fumes and during the shifts i get massive headaches,sore throat, metal like taste on my tongue and so on even hours after i left work and i'm at home... sometimes it's worse than others.. we've had to open front and back doors, one time had to leave and close up 2 hours before closing, etcetera... the city sent out some official to hear a complaint and file a lawsuit against this nail salon whose has been warned before (last year they didn't even have a ventilation system!)... and the city official said "perhaps we can get some money out of it for you people".... most though think all will happen is that the city will make this salon reach code or perhaps shut them down permanently? i don't know, i think i and others should be compensated monetarily for this.. i mean we've been and are continually being poisoned basically everyday.. don't you think we deserve something of compensation.. i mean its' our workplace we have no choice (other then quitting) to be here and inhale these toxic fumes!...

anyway, i think the reason why no one has ever gone to our bosses boss is that everyone feels like nothing will be done and also since this job is a seasonal temporary job why get all mad and have all this drama involved? i do know if this manager ever remotely says anything again to me, i will calmly clocked out and leave this place on the spot!

don't know i mean could i actually have a lawsuit case for working in such a place?

Kuilli
Mar 6th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Could you summarize this in 2-3 coherent sentences?

$uricate
Mar 6th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Maybe this thread will help?

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=398680&highlight=boss

:oh:

the jamierbelyea
Mar 6th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Perhaps one of you should man up and go to a higher-up and see if anything changes. You are thinking of forming a lawsuit when you've skipped a major step?

For the male calendar bit and the nail salon, it just sounds like whining to me. Was the nail salon not there when you got hired? And even more so, how is that in any of your manager's control?

laschutz
Mar 6th, 2012, 08:06 PM
whining? well as far as the male calendar thing.. don't i have a point.. especially when i'm the only guy who works in this office? what if the situation was reverse, if the office was all guys but 1 woman and we brought in some racy victoria secret calendar and had it out in the office for all to see and we all "oohed and aahed" in front of this lone woman?

as far as the nail salon situation.. well of course i and everyone that worked there knew it was there! however, did we think we would be inhaling the fumes and it making us sick everyday? of course not..and this SHOULD not be happening.. not really my direct manager's fault perse but someone in that company's fault i think...

Helen Lawson
Mar 6th, 2012, 11:58 PM
What do the guys look like in the calendar? A couple of shots of them and I can tell if you work in a hostile environment or not....

delicatecutter
Mar 7th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Here's a suggestion: Quit.

Helen Lawson
Mar 7th, 2012, 01:27 AM
Here's a suggestion: Quit.

Don't you want to see the calendar pictures first?

the jamierbelyea
Mar 7th, 2012, 04:57 AM
whining? well as far as the male calendar thing.. don't i have a point.. especially when i'm the only guy who works in this office? what if the situation was reverse, if the office was all guys but 1 woman and we brought in some racy victoria secret calendar and had it out in the office for all to see and we all "oohed and aahed" in front of this lone woman?

as far as the nail salon situation.. well of course i and everyone that worked there knew it was there! however, did we think we would be inhaling the fumes and it making us sick everyday? of course not..and this SHOULD not be happening.. not really my direct manager's fault perse but someone in that company's fault i think...

The fact that you're the only male in the office is irrelevant. The calendar is either offensive or not. From what you said of it, it sounds pretty harmless to me.

There's nothing you can do about the nail salon situation, beside try to talk to the land lord of the building to work on the ventilation, but consider how long the office and the nail salon have been together side by side and the number of people who survived these conditions. It's really pointless whining if you ask me.

delicatecutter
Mar 7th, 2012, 05:11 AM
Don't you want to see the calendar pictures first?

I'm offended I read that whole thing in the first place.

Pat Bateman
Mar 7th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Well, yes, it does sound like a hostile work environment.

Can you get another job easily? Are you well-qualified? Do you have savings that you can live on?

If 'no', you might just have to suck it up.

ranfurly
Mar 7th, 2012, 08:56 AM
hi everyone! just wondering if you all think i work in what would be considered a "hostile work environment"...

here's a few anecdotes... my boss is nuts... she is forever flipping out on all of us,and everyday she commits the "cardinal" sin of when she is mad and angry on a employee, what does she do? she goes off on that employee in front of all of us! everyone knows (even if you've never been a manager) that whether your a manager at a fast food place or a multi=million dollar company you do not berate employees to and in front of other employees. not to mentioned she uses profanity... let me see, the last time i heard her she said after getting over the phone with i guess someone who was complaining about this one employee " i swear if i hear one more complaint about (insert name) she's gone! stupid dumb bitch!"....

she constantly talks about and rips on employees in front of other employees another huge NO NO.. and yes, sometimes she rips on a employee to their face in front of other employees. for instance, in regards to me..

about a month ago.. i made a mistake and told someone over the phone the wrong answer.. i admit that.. but what does she do when i get off the phone later? she motions me over to a computer someone's else's computer and in front of everyone says "your telling people such and such, that's wrong ( which i didn't know it was wrong i might add).. this is what you are supposed to be telling that and... now here is when it gets bad! she knows where i live in fact lives only 1 street away from me.. so she then says to me and in front of others " you keep on telling people the wrong answer, i know where you live, i'll give them your address and you can give them money out of your pocket!" to me that is a threat! i mean she made it personal with that comment! earlier she told someone over the phone i'm guessing a customer that i was "lazy".. excuse me!

she has made other people even cry...

everything is great and she's all nicey nicey when everything is PERFECT, but heaven forbid if something goes wrong!

let's see what else: well the place is the most negative work place i have ever worked at! everyone constantly back stabbing each other, talking about each other and so on, everyday i might add!

Ok, in short, it doesn't seem like a very positive environment to work in, If that was me, I'd be handing in my notice and looking for something else. Employee's should not be subjected to that type of appraisal from their manager, especially not directly infront of others. That would be very humiliating.

another thing: i'm the only guy that works in this call center, and just a couple of weeks ago my manager came back from vacation and brought some male model calendar for all the women to ooh and aah over and this calendar still sits in our little back office for these women to browse thru. isn't that wrong and a form of sexual harassment? i mean what if i brought in a playboy (okay maybe that's different?!) but what if i brought in a racy female calendar?... part of me thinks i'm being too "petty" with this particular thing..

Probably, If it "offends" you (and really, you will have a fucking big chip on your shoulder if it did, then by all means, tell her about it, don't be surprised if she tells you to piss of out of her office.

Our office has a very good environment, we have a pair of panties on the wall (secret santa) and dirty jokes are the norm, If it's not pressing you, then don't treat it as an issue.

and lastly.. everyday me and the other employees are getting literally poisoned by the next door store! it's a nail salon, and everday we inhale the fumes since we share a wall and everyday we can smell the fumes and during the shifts i get massive headaches,sore throat, metal like taste on my tongue and so on even hours after i left work and i'm at home... sometimes it's worse than others.. we've had to open front and back doors, one time had to leave and close up 2 hours before closing, etcetera... the city sent out some official to hear a complaint and file a lawsuit against this nail salon whose has been warned before (last year they didn't even have a ventilation system!)... and the city official said "perhaps we can get some money out of it for you people".... most though think all will happen is that the city will make this salon reach code or perhaps shut them down permanently? i don't know, i think i and others should be compensated monetarily for this.. i mean we've been and are continually being poisoned basically everyday.. don't you think we deserve something of compensation.. i mean its' our workplace we have no choice (other then quitting) to be here and inhale these toxic fumes!...

Are you being "poisoned" or just being dramatic, if this is effecting your work, and your colleagues, why not bring this up collectivley with your employer and let them know the working conditons are having an effect on your work. Take it further if you believe to, but to be honest...

You don't appear to be happy with the environment you're working in, more trouble trying to force change then stay and put up with the conditions.

anyway, i think the reason why no one has ever gone to our bosses boss is that everyone feels like nothing will be done and also since this job is a seasonal temporary job why get all mad and have all this drama involved? i do know if this manager ever remotely says anything again to me, i will calmly clocked out and leave this place on the spot!

don't know i mean could i actually have a lawsuit case for working in such a place?

Thats what you need to do if you have a grievance and you feel your manager is not approachable, is to take it to the next level.

At the end of the day, you're right, it's a seasonal temporary job, I'd be more inclined to cut ties, and give me letter or resignation and not worry about it, but that's just me, and respective of our industrial and employment relations.

brickhousesupporter
Mar 7th, 2012, 12:15 PM
First of all, a call center in America.......Where they do that at?

Secondly , I would not advise anyone to quit in this environment. You need to hatch an exit plan. Send out your resume and begin interviewing. Only when you have secured a position and signed their offer letter, would I tell her to go fuck herself.

$uricate
Mar 7th, 2012, 06:47 PM
First of all, a call center in America.......Where they do that at?

Secondly , I would not advise anyone to quit in this environment. You need to hatch an exit plan. Send out your resume and begin interviewing. Only when you have secured a position and signed their offer letter, would I tell her to go fuck herself.

Or even better, an escape plan!

Preferably one involving a parachute and some sort of acetone-fuelled rocket pack :drool:

Nicolás89
Mar 7th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Maybe this thread will help?

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=398680&highlight=boss

:oh:

That thread was GOAT. :tears:

DemWilliamsGulls
Mar 8th, 2012, 03:25 AM
Does working in a ghetto school as a teacher count?! ;) lol

ElusiveChanteuse
Mar 8th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Wow! Never thought I'd share the same feeling as you.:lol: I'm actually experiencing similar things that happened to you as well on my job, although not as serious as yours. :hug: Good luck.