PDA

View Full Version : Putin wins Russia poll

Lin Lin
Mar 4th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Any comments?:confused:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_world/view/1186972/1/.html

MOSCOW: Vladimir Putin on Sunday declared victory in Russia's presidential elections at a mass rally outside the Kremlin walls, telling his voters they helped avert attempts to break up the Russian state.

Putin and outgoing Kremlin chief Dmitry Medvedev walked out side by side before a throng of more than 100,000 supporters outside the Kremlin following the release of early results that showed him winning more than 60 percent of the vote.

"We won today... thanks to the overwhelming support of the overwhelming majority of our voters. We have won in an open and honest battle," said Putin.

"I promised you that we will win. And we won. Glory to Russia!" he shouted as the crowd cheered back in unison.

Live state television footage of the event showed Putin wiping tears from his eyes before speaking in the windy and chilly night.

"We have shown that our people can easily tell apart the desire for novelty and renewal from political provocations that have only one goal in mind -- to break up the Russian state and to usurp power," said Putin.

"This was a very important test for us all, for our people. This was a test of political maturity, our self-reliance, our independence. We have proven that no one can impose anything on us. No one and nothing," he added with emotion in his voice.

The campaign saw Putin repeatedly accuse the US State Department of inciting the opposition rallies that emerged from fraud-tainted December parliamentary poll and which posed the first serious challenge to his 12-year rule.

Medvedev for his part kept to the marginal role he had played throughout Putin's election campaign by simply introducing Putin to the crowd as their next president.

"I have no doubts in our victory," said Medvedev.

"This victory is something we all need very much. The whole country needs it. Each one of us needs it," he said.

The outgoing president is set to take Putin's current job of prime minister under a swap the two men agreed in private and announced to the dismay of the opposition movement in September.

- AFP

Cassius
Mar 4th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Surprise surprise...

He may not find it so easy to govern this term but govern he will, with an iron fist.

Barrie_Dude
Mar 4th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Surprise surprise...

He may not find it so easy to govern this term but govern he will, with an iron fist.
Yeah......... I wasn't expecting anything different :rolleyes:

Milito22
Mar 4th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Vamos Vlad :cheer:

cellophane
Mar 4th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Vamos Vlad :cheer:

:no:

Milito22
Mar 4th, 2012, 10:09 PM
:no:

:rolleyes: Vlad :hug:

-6DmhFx_PSU

Barrie_Dude
Mar 4th, 2012, 10:10 PM
:rolleyes: Vlad :hug:

-6DmhFx_PSU
Yes, he needs an Oscar for that performance! :lol:

AliceMariaRenka
Mar 4th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Has he had a facelift and Botox? He looks as if he has.

I don't know why anyone wants to be President of anywhere. He could live off his billions. Instead he wants all this hassle. But why? I don't get it!

Londoner
Mar 4th, 2012, 10:29 PM
I'm in a state of shock!

Patrick345
Mar 4th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Only 60% voted for him. Siberian Gulags will be overpopulated in the next few months. :tape:

ce
Mar 4th, 2012, 10:59 PM
:hearts:

ce
Mar 4th, 2012, 11:00 PM
:haha:

ys
Mar 4th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Good result. His rhetorics are a bit worrying. I expected him to throw some reconciliation notes. He was quite an opposite in his victory speech.

dsanders06
Mar 4th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Bombshell!!!!111

ys
Mar 5th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Yes, we, Russians are so talented.. look at this.. with people this talented and with our new/old President, Russia will soon be back at superpower status:

http://chukcha.net/uploads/posts/2012-02/1329858326_podborka_003.jpg

delicatecutter
Mar 5th, 2012, 02:17 AM
What a talented driver! :bowdown:

Beat
Mar 5th, 2012, 07:55 AM
it's amazing that more than 20 years after perestroika, russia is still so, so far away from being a democracy. nevertheless i think putin's time is running out.

p.s. did he get a facelift or something?

Just Do It
Mar 5th, 2012, 08:04 AM
it's amazing that more than 20 years after perestroika, russia is still so, so far away from being a democracy. nevertheless i think putin's time is running out.

p.s. did he get a facelift or something?

Russia was never a big fan of democracy. They have some kind of limited democracy and they love it. Russia voted Putin and that is the only important thing here. They probably have their reasons for that, one of the main is better life and Russia again being a big player, Americans foreigners are probably not happy about it but what can you do?

Talula
Mar 5th, 2012, 11:58 AM
According to the BBC he would have won anyway, even without any 'rigging'. He's have been better not to have tarnished himself. As for those tears at being elected......Anyway, what does democracy get you? Mess and muddle. So I doubt the ordinary Russian is any worse off just as the ordinary Briton is no better off under our so called democracy.

bulava
Mar 5th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Russia was never a big fan of democracy. They have some kind of limited democracy and they love it. Russia voted Putin and that is the only important thing here. They probably have their reasons for that, one of the main is better life and Russia again being a big player, Americans foreigners are probably not happy about it but what can you do?
Good observation :)

Anyway, what does democracy get you? Mess and muddle. So I doubt the ordinary Russian is any worse off just as the ordinary Briton is no better off under our so called democracy.
I'm really glad, very few people admit that candidly.

This is from Stephen Cohen's article: America's Failed (Bi-Partisan) Russia Policy
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stephen-f-cohen/us-russia-policy_b_1307727.html

Finally, "democracy-promotion" measures inside Russia also must stop. Many proponents of this two-decade U.S. policy sincerely believe in it, but it is wrong on all counts:

- We, the United States, do not have the right, wisdom or power to intervene so directly or deeply in the internal workings of another great nation, especially one whose history is older, different and no less proud than our own. (Russians have shown they know how to democratize their country. To suggest that they do not is contemptuous and an ethnic slur.)

pov
Mar 5th, 2012, 06:47 PM
I'm really glad, very few people admit that share such opinions candidly.

Yeah. In the USA such sentiments are tantamount to heresy.

Mistress of Evil
Mar 5th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Well, God give power to the poor Russian folk, the dictator buys himself another 10 years :bigclap:

plantman
Mar 5th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Anyone who calls Obama an idiot can't be all that bad!

Congrats to Putin

:worship:

Mynarco
Mar 5th, 2012, 07:36 PM
First thing first, Putin is a really charming person. He must be really hot when he was young

Some dissidents were arrested, including Alexei Navalny:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17265820

plantman
Mar 5th, 2012, 08:01 PM
First thing first, Putin is a really charming person. He must be really hot when he was young

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/2531/vladimirputin.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/vladimirputin.png/)

I wouldn't mind a Brokeback Mountain moment with Putin!:D

CillyUltra
Mar 6th, 2012, 10:56 AM
According to the BBC he would have won anyway, even without any 'rigging'.
Because the whole process was managed by the Kremlin.

This is from Stephen Cohen's article: America's Failed (Bi-Partisan) Russia Policy
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stephen-f-cohen/us-russia-policy_b_1307727.html

Finally, "democracy-promotion" measures inside Russia also must stop. Many proponents of this two-decade U.S. policy sincerely believe in it, but it is wrong on all counts:

- We, the United States, do not have the right, wisdom or power to intervene so directly or deeply in the internal workings of another great nation, especially one whose history is older, different and no less proud than our own. (Russians have shown they know how to democratize their country. To suggest that they do not is contemptuous and an ethnic slur.)

Pretty much left-wing idiocy. :tape:

It's America's destiny to fight for democracy and freedom and I'm happy about that.

Just Do It
Mar 6th, 2012, 01:50 PM

It's America's destiny to fight for democracy and freedom and I'm happy about that.

Are you ironic? If not, that is probably the most idiotic thing I've read on this board EVER.

Milito22
Mar 6th, 2012, 02:59 PM

:lol: :rolls: :happy: luv ya :smooch:

JCTennisFan
Mar 6th, 2012, 10:55 PM
With his win (which is unconstitutional btw) Putin just proves that Russia is in fact a totalitarian regime masquerading as a Democratic republic. I know that Medvedev must be pissed.... he was attempting to butt heads with Putin last year but Putin is the one with all the power, thus Medvedev had no chance and he knew it.

JCTennisFan
Mar 6th, 2012, 11:03 PM

Your a bit disillusioned with that mentality. America is no longer a democracy... we are a corporatistic society now. Mussolini himself said it best when he said
"Fascism should rightly be called Corporatism, as it is
the merger of corporate and government power."

Fascism in America has arrived! Lovely isnt it? :mad:

bulava
Mar 7th, 2012, 07:03 AM
If I follow your logic, then because China is almost there as a Superpower so it should be alright when Chinese start promoting their own Hybrid Communism model into other countries. Point is, would you accept such activities in your country? That's how Stephen Cohen sees it so it's very wrong to forcibly export Democracy and thrust it on other culture and people. Makes sense? :)

fifty-fifty
Mar 7th, 2012, 01:36 PM

America likes to play the game called 'Democracy against Sovereignty'. That's how they increase their sphere of influence. Well-being of other nations has nothing to do with it.

fifty-fifty
Mar 7th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Anyway, CIA predicts that Russia will be split into several independent states.

http://topwar.ru/uploads/posts/2011-06/1307977431_74434631_large_y_4f107cc2.jpg

And with continuous social decline such scenario seems more and more likely.