PDA

View Full Version : Davy Jones of the Monkees Dies at 66

Super Dave
Feb 29th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Never would've expected this one. Wow.

No doubt you're humming Daydream Believer or Last Train to Clarksville as you read this.The lead singer of The Monkees, Davy Jones, has died.
His rep tells TMZ (http://www.tmz.com/2012/02/29/davy-jones-dead-monkees/#.T05niYcgc0k) that he died after suffering a heart attack this morning in Florida. Jones was 66.
TMZ confirmed Jones' death with an official from the medical examiner's office for Martin County, Fla.
Jones is survived by his wife Jessica and four daughters from previous marriages.
Jones joined The Monkees in 1965, with Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2012/02/monkees-star-davy-jones-dies-at-age-66/1#.T05u3_WP9kw

nU615FaODCg

delicatecutter
Feb 29th, 2012, 05:32 PM
My mom will be crushed. :sad:

saul1333
Feb 29th, 2012, 05:35 PM
First saw him on The Brady Bunch.

fRNFus7Pbp4

Very sad news :tears:

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 29th, 2012, 06:04 PM
So sad news :sad: :(
Hopefully Apple don't go and put the Monkees prices up :rolleyes:

Lord Choc Ice
Feb 29th, 2012, 06:15 PM
RIP :hug:

Talula
Feb 29th, 2012, 06:20 PM
He was only 66? Wow he must have been very young in the Monkees. He was on the BBC the other night, on a programme about being in a boy band. He looked great and was quite articulate and down to earth.

RIP Davy.

Paneru
Feb 29th, 2012, 06:49 PM
First saw him on The Brady Bunch.

fRNFus7Pbp4

Very sad news :tears:

Same here.

RIP Davy. :sad:

Cilla
Feb 29th, 2012, 07:06 PM
66 is still young. RIP :hug:

Londoner
Feb 29th, 2012, 07:12 PM
He was only 66? Wow he must have been very young in the Monkees. He was on the BBC the other night, on a programme about being in a boy band. He looked great and was quite articulate and down to earth.

RIP Davy.

I saw that too. Nice bloke who didn't take it all seriously. :sad: RIP.

Albireo
Feb 29th, 2012, 07:24 PM
He caught the Last Train to Clarksville.

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 29th, 2012, 09:21 PM
RIP Davy :hug:

I use to love watching repeats of The Monkees 60's sitcom when I was a kid :)

*JR*
Feb 29th, 2012, 09:46 PM
I am just devastated. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

The Monkees, largely created for a TV show spoof about a (3/4 American) version of The Beatles' travails in movies like Help! and A Hard Day's Night, were a forerunner of the music video, along with the Beatles in those films, and the animated Yellow Submarine. Davy and Mickey Dolenz were the lead singers, Mike Nesmith and Peter Tork the "real" musicians.

While they eventually rebelled against control freak impresarios like Don Kirschner and wrote their later songs, their early mega hits were mostly written by the teams of Gerry Goffin and his wife, later famous singer Carole King; the duo of Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart; and another famous singer in Neil Diamond. I think the great Paul Mazursky directed some of the TV show episodes.

Davy was often the butt of jokes on the show, along with Peter. The last bit of trivia for now is that if not for Davy's fame then, an upcoming fellow British singer also named David Jones wouldn't have sought to avoid confusion with him... by changing his name to David Bowie (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000309). In closing, a great album cut Davy (2nd from right in pic) sang lead on that was never released as a single:

2Ccw2t0FnVk

Edit: Neil's tweet:

Neil Diamond ‏ @NeilDiamond
Follow

I'm sad to hear about Davy Jones. The Monkees were such a sensation that it was a thrill for me to have them record some of my early songs.

================================================== =======================================

Carole only tweeted "RIP Davy", I hope there was no bad blood between them. :shrug:

================================================== ========================================

Mforensic
Feb 29th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Awwwwww....I loved watching The Monkees as a kid! Also remember seeing him on the Brady Bunch and The Brady Bunch movie! He was too young!:sad:

McPie
Mar 1st, 2012, 12:33 AM
what? :speakles:

Helen Lawson
Mar 1st, 2012, 01:07 AM
The local rags down here are saying no one can believe it, he was a health nut, had close to no body fat and ran on the beach all the time.

Not my kind of music at all, but poor guy. :sad:

brickhousesupporter
Mar 1st, 2012, 01:30 AM
RIP Davy....

melodynelson
Mar 1st, 2012, 01:46 AM
0emLj0d66DQ

RIP. My favorite Monkees song, sung by Davy.

saul1333
Mar 1st, 2012, 05:13 PM
Yesterday on Modern Family they had a line: "Hey. Hey. We're the Monkeys" (2 guys in Monkey suits for Wizard of Oz roles)

Break My Rapture
Mar 1st, 2012, 10:17 PM
RIP. :hug:

Halardfan
Mar 1st, 2012, 10:26 PM
Fond memories of watching repeats (re-runs) of the Monkees during the school holidays growing up. They were a happy fixture of those days.

Daydream Believer is a glorious song.

All the best Davy, RIP.