Yoncé
Feb 28th, 2012, 09:36 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwfb9gX6Di1qc8a57o4_r1_250.gif

MerylGOAT. Duh.

Lord Choc Ice
Feb 28th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Natalie :hearts:.
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq0akiTJ371qjuzh0.gif

Then again that's the only movie of those I've seen :lol:.

Emiel Goelen
Feb 28th, 2012, 10:20 AM
I think Natalie Portman and Meryl Streep really deserved their Oscar. I was less convinced by Marion Cotillard and Kate Winslet. I haven't seen the Bullock movie.

Out of Portman and Streep, I voted Portman. I feel Streep certainly delivered one of the greatest imitations of all time, but Portman gave a better 'acting performance' in total in her role in Black Swan.

Mateo Mathieu
Feb 28th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Marion :hearts:

skanky~skanketta
Feb 28th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Kate Winslet. Because in my mind, she won for Revolutionary Road.

M.P
Feb 28th, 2012, 10:44 AM
i think it's either Marion or Kate

Mynarco
Feb 28th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Marion Cotillard. Her doing Edith Piaf is just STUNNING.

Apoleb
Feb 28th, 2012, 10:47 AM
I didn't think Natalie Portman's performance was really stunning or something. It was certainly very good, but everything owed mostly to the story line and the direction.

I really wish for people to stop referring to Meryl's performance as an "imitation". It was so eerie that at some points you'd think Margret herself is trying to show you an aspect of hers that no one has seen before. It was this good. She took on the personality in full, but created a dimension that was absent in people's minds.

Kate's performance was chilling in Revolutionary Road. The whole movie was very strong.

I won't vote cause I didn't watch the other ones.

ampers&
Feb 28th, 2012, 11:22 AM
I adore Meryl but I have not seen her in TIL. But I have seen the others and Marion was INCREDIBLE in La Vie en Rose. Stunning. Amazing. Etc.

I had to vote for her. And I would put Natalie in Black Swan in second place for a chilling performance. Kate 3rd as she's always stellar and The Reader was probably her at her best. The court room scene was insanely good.

I don't even want to list Bullock. :o

Mateo Mathieu
Feb 28th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Kate Winslet. Because in my mind, she won for Revolutionary Road.
Agreed. She was amazing in The Revolutionary Road. I was never fan of hers and I don't think she was that great until I saw this movie :worship:

But still, Marion in La Vie Rose got my vote :) She was stunning :worship:

WonderfulLee
Feb 28th, 2012, 12:36 PM
between Marion and Meryl, but my vote goes to Meryl!

delicatecutter
Feb 28th, 2012, 01:17 PM
I've only seen TR and BS from this list but it's definitely not Natalie Portman as she was not even the best in her category last year.

KournikovaFan91
Feb 28th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Streep and Cotillard tie IMHO.

Others are in the halfpenny place.

Marcelo.
Feb 28th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Meryl Streep and Marion Cotillard !

_marial_
Feb 28th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Meryl :hearts: Natalie didn't convince me in Black Swan, I don't think her oscar was deserved, but that's just my opinion. Kate wasn't a leading role for me, because her screen time was very limited, supporting actress would have been more appropriate. Bullock isn't worth a comment. I haven't seen Marion Cotillard in La vie en rose though.

AliceMariaRenka
Feb 28th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Meryl Streep is always Meryl Streep. I saw an old film recently called Postcards On The Edge or something and she was doing the same turn way back then! But then I think actors and actresses are overrated.

Bismarck.
Feb 28th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Does Hollywood give out Oscars just for actresses doing impressions of other famous women? :lol: I hate the way biopics dominate the acting categories at awards.

young_gunner913
Feb 28th, 2012, 05:16 PM
The Iron Lady sucked balls but it's no surprise TF fan boys love it.

Ellen Dawson
Feb 28th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Allez Marion! :hatoff:

ptkten
Feb 28th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Does Hollywood give out Oscars just for actresses doing impressions of other famous women? :lol: I hate the way biopics dominate the acting categories at awards.

Exactly, I'm so tired of biopics and imitations dominating the Oscars in the BP, Best Actor, and Best Actress categories. It is not more impressive or difficult to impersonate someone. I think voters automatically think something is important if it's about something that actually happened. In reality, these movies and performances tend to be rather stale although there are exceptions like Jesse Eisenberg's brilliant performance in The Social Network.

In my opinion, out of the last five years Natalie Portman's was the best performance. The script was relatively weak but she and Darren sold it brilliantly.

watchdogfish
Feb 28th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Marion Cotillard's performance in La Vie en Rose was extraordinary :worship:

Apoleb
Feb 28th, 2012, 07:24 PM
How are you supposed to take the role of a public figure without at least some degree of impersonation? Those who think that this was all what the role entailed are not getting it tbh. Meryl transformed into Marget Thatcher, the person, superficially and humanly.

Bismarck.
Feb 28th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Exactly, I'm so tired of biopics and imitations dominating the Oscars in the BP, Best Actor, and Best Actress categories. It is not more impressive or difficult to impersonate someone. I think voters automatically think something is important if it's about something that actually happened. In reality, these movies and performances tend to be rather stale although there are exceptions like Jesse Eisenberg's brilliant performance in The Social Network.

In my opinion, out of the last five years Natalie Portman's was the best performance. The script was relatively weak but she and Darren sold it brilliantly.

It's funny, because I flicked through the Best Actress nominees since 2000 after seeing this thread for the first time and 8 out of the 12 winners since 2000 of the prize have been for biopics. :help: For actor it's almost as bad with 6. Biopics just make for badly-written scripts and tediously predictable films, and the acting isn't even all that fantastic, save a few (F. Murray Abraham in Amadeus springs to mind :worship:). You just have to have a good makeover and do a fairly passable impression of whomever and BINGO!

Brooklyn90
Feb 28th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Marion by a mile

Lucemferre
Feb 28th, 2012, 07:53 PM
I've only seen TR and BS from this list but it's definitely not Natalie Portman as she was not even the best in her category last year.

She sweeped everything from critics to major awards shows so it's safe to say she was the best.

From the list, Marion Cotillard wins.

Ferg
Feb 28th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Marion, pretty easily :shrug: Only other woman who comes close to her performance in recent years in Sally Hawkins in Happy Go Lucky.

Brooklyn90
Feb 28th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Marion's transformation into Edith Piaf was true brilliance!!! :worship:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/pacomexican/600full-la-vie-en-rose-.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/pacomexican/ugly-marioncotillard-590x350.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/pacomexican/lavieenrosePDVD_016.jpg

delicatecutter
Feb 28th, 2012, 08:30 PM
It's funny, because I flicked through the Best Actress nominees since 2000 after seeing this thread for the first time and 8 out of the 12 winners since 2000 of the prize have been for biopics. :help: For actor it's almost as bad with 6. Biopics just make for badly-written scripts and tediously predictable films, and the acting isn't even all that fantastic, save a few (F. Murray Abraham in Amadeus springs to mind :worship:). You just have to have a good makeover and do a fairly passable impression of whomever and BINGO!

See Charlize Theron

Helen Lawson
Feb 28th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Despite the graphic sex and Winslut exposing herself at every turn, the Reader is the only one I'd care to see again. Iron Lady was amazing, but too depressing. The others sucked.

Mynarco
Feb 28th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Marion, pretty easily :shrug: Only other woman who comes close to her performance in recent years in Sally Hawkins in Happy Go Lucky.

This film is too annoying to watch, I don't know why. Never understand the film at all.

Sam L
Feb 29th, 2012, 09:32 AM

Sadly, yes. It's become a game of deglam and impersonations. Especially since Hilary Swank's 1999 win.

Take a look:

Hilary Swank, Boys Don't Cry (deglam, impersonation)
Julia Roberts, Erin Brockovich (impersonation)
Halle Berry, Monster's Ball
Nicole Kidman, The House (prosthetic nose, impersonation)
Charlize Theron, Monster (lots of makeup, major deglam, impersonation)
Hilary Swank, Million Dollar Baby
Reese Witherspoon, Walk the Line (sing, impersonation)
Helen Mirren, The Queen (impersonation)
Marion Cotillard, La Vie en Rose (sing, deglam, impersonation)
Kate Winslet, The Reader (lots of makeup)
Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side (blonde hair wooo, impersonation)
Natalie Portman, Black Swan
Meryl Streetp, The Iron Lady (lots of makeup, impersonation)

So in the last 13 years, only 4 actually played fictional characters and almost all were doing impersonations and major deglams to win the Oscar.

Berry, Swank (2nd) and Portman were the only ones who weren't relying on tricks to win. Berry won arguably because "it's time" some think this but I thought she was great and deserved it and Swank got swept up in M$B sweep. That makes Natalie's win all the more extraordinary. No deglam project or makeup effects and no impersonations. Just pure acting talent.

This is the way it used to be in the old days. Out of the first 13 Best Actress winners, only 1 played a real life character. Anna Held by Luise Rainer. Just good, honest performances without relying on tricks and imitations.

Lord Choc Ice
Feb 29th, 2012, 09:37 AM
^ That's what annoys me about the Oscars. It's just as hard to give life to a character that wasn't based off a real person. Instead they seem to reward "acting karaoke" a shit load more.

Sam L
Feb 29th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Marion's transformation into Edith Piaf was true brilliance!!! :worship:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/pacomexican/600full-la-vie-en-rose-.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/pacomexican/ugly-marioncotillard-590x350.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/pacomexican/lavieenrosePDVD_016.jpg

It's called makeup. So good, it even won an Oscar. Like this year!

jameshazza
Feb 29th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Kate, I actually preferred her performance in The Reader, very few people can get you to sympathise with a Nazi B*tch. She did. Revolutionary Road was just one of those pretty dull movies that people who think they know something about film harp on about. However, Kate was good in it.

Either way she deserved the Oscar that year for either performance, Bullock winning was a pisstake but I like her. Meryl's was well overdue but she's had better one's that went unrewarded. Marion and Portman were both highly impressive, although they won't make you faint with their sheer intensity as is often claimed.

delicatecutter
Feb 29th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Sadly, yes. It's become a game of deglam and impersonations. Especially since Hilary Swank's 1999 win.

Take a look:

Hilary Swank, Boys Don't Cry (deglam, impersonation)
Julia Roberts, Erin Brockovich (impersonation)
Halle Berry, Monster's Ball
Nicole Kidman, The House (prosthetic nose, impersonation)
Charlize Theron, Monster (lots of makeup, major deglam, impersonation)
Hilary Swank, Million Dollar Baby
Reese Witherspoon, Walk the Line (sing, impersonation)
Helen Mirren, The Queen (impersonation)
Marion Cotillard, La Vie en Rose (sing, deglam, impersonation)
Kate Winslet, The Reader (lots of makeup)
Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side (blonde hair wooo, impersonation)
Natalie Portman, Black Swan
Meryl Streetp, The Iron Lady (lots of makeup, impersonation)

So in the last 13 years, only 4 actually played fictional characters and almost all were doing impersonations and major deglams to win the Oscar.

Berry, Swank (2nd) and Portman were the only ones who weren't relying on tricks to win. Berry won arguably because "it's time" some think this but I thought she was great and deserved it and Swank got swept up in M$B sweep. That makes Natalie's win all the more extraordinary. No deglam project or makeup effects and no impersonations. Just pure acting talent.

This is the way it used to be in the old days. Out of the first 13 Best Actress winners, only 1 played a real life character. Anna Held by Luise Rainer. Just good, honest performances without relying on tricks and imitations.

Um HELLO Natalie's win had nothing to do with pure acting talent and everything to do with Aronofsky's bells and whistles and all the hype. I don't think her acting was anything special in that film; she just lucked into a good character and a director who hid her flaws sufficiently enough for her to win.

WonderfulLee
Feb 29th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Annette Bening should win over Natalie Portman that year!

Wigglytuff
Feb 29th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Meryl Streep is the better actress but she had a million other roles that were way better than that one. Sorry being honest, I strongly Dislike that about the oscars. Give people an Oscar for the roles they deserve it for not years later because you feel guilty. They do it all the time and it's silly. Sorry my rant.

I voted for blind side not because Sandra is a better actress, far from it but because Sandra's role was better in my opinion. Meryl should have won for a hundred other movies. Shit "doubt" was just s few years ago and it's a near crime she didn't win.

Lucemferre
Feb 29th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Um HELLO Natalie's win had nothing to do with pure acting talent and everything to do with Aronofsky's bells and whistles and all the hype. I don't think her acting was anything special in that film; she just lucked into a good character and a director who hid her flaws sufficiently enough for her to win.

2nd post about Natalie Portman not being the best/deserving when the question is who is the best. Looks like you've got a case of bitterhateritis.

delicatecutter
Feb 29th, 2012, 12:29 PM
2nd post about Natalie Portman not being the best/deserving when the question is who is the best. Looks like you've got a case of bitterhateritis.

Sweetie that was more like my 20th post about Natalie Portman winning for Black Swan. Damn straight I'm bitter. The award is supposed to be Best Actress but more often than not it's Best Starlet/Best Transformation in a Leading Role/Best Actress We Forgot to Reward When She Actually Deserved to Win.

Beat
Feb 29th, 2012, 01:48 PM
voted for cotillard, though all are good actresses. it's just a pity 3 of them had to win with performances in woeful movies. that's a drop of bitterness in my mind.

Ellen Dawson
Feb 29th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Annette Bening should win over Natalie Portman that year!

:worship:

Layers > sheet cake.

Milito22
Feb 29th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Sandra Bullock :facepalm:

Brooklyn90
Feb 29th, 2012, 06:47 PM
It's called makeup. So good, it even won an Oscar. Like this year!

I'm not talking about makeup. Her transformation into the soul of Eidth from a wide variety of her life was the brilliant part.
Portraying a real life character is one of the toughest forms of acting, especially when you do it right and well. When you play a fictional character you get much more freedom. I have so much respect for these actors who portrayed real people and did it so exceptional, especially Marion! Acting comes in all forms and varieties, but when you play the character truly and honestly is when you achieve brilliance.
I don't think most of you understand how difficult it is to be an actor and what it takes to transform into another human being, being a real person or fictional. I think most actors would agree with me that playing a real person is much more difficult.

Londoner
Feb 29th, 2012, 07:53 PM
The Iron Lady sucked balls but it's no surprise TF fan boys love it.

:lol:

Biopics mostly are crap but a chance for the actor to dress up. I haven't seen a decent one. The Piaf one missed out the most interesting controversies. The Iron Lady is a travesty.

But people like them and so does the Academy. Streep won because it was her time to.

Sam L
Mar 1st, 2012, 06:23 AM
I don't think most of you understand how difficult it is to be an actor and what it takes to transform into another human being, being a real person or fictional. I think most actors would agree with me that playing a real person is much more difficult.

Playing a fictional character especially a famous one is more difficult because who have to live up to the people's expectations from their imaginations about how they should look, act and feel. A good example is Scarlett O'Hara. Millions of people had read the novel and it was a role many women wanted to play. A role of a lifetime.

Playing a real person is a lot easier. If you look like that person, that's half the job done. Nowadays, you can get makeup to look like someone even if you don't. And all you have to do is study how they acted in real life and imitate them. Meryl Streep apparently tried to meet Margaret Thatcher but she was turned down.

duhcity
Mar 1st, 2012, 06:28 AM
The Best actress or best acting performance?

Because Meryl Streep is the best actress out of those 5, but Cotillard was stunning and gets my vote.

Though Streep in Doubt....sigh.

Maddox
Mar 1st, 2012, 07:36 AM
All those performances were not as well deserves IMO expert Marion and Meryl

Keegan
Mar 1st, 2012, 10:15 AM
Natalie Portman IMO. What a phenomenal performance that was. Not to mention Aronofsky is such a brilliant and insightful director. He has such a brilliant eye for film, it's amazing.

The only other one I've seen is the Blind Side, and yes Sandra was good, but I still assert that Gabourey Sidibe was robbed of an Oscar for Precious.

Kylger
Mar 1st, 2012, 01:10 PM
Portman for Black Swan. Loved the movie. Streep would be a close second for me.

Brooklyn90
Mar 2nd, 2012, 02:03 AM
Playing a fictional character especially a famous one is more difficult because who have to live up to the people's expectations from their imaginations about how they should look, act and feel. A good example is Scarlett O'Hara. Millions of people had read the novel and it was a role many women wanted to play. A role of a lifetime.

Playing a real person is a lot easier. If you look like that person, that's half the job done. Nowadays, you can get makeup to look like someone even if you don't. And all you have to do is study how they acted in real life and imitate them. Meryl Streep apparently tried to meet Margaret Thatcher but she was turned down.

No good actor should ever "imitate" someone, you need to become that person. Which is exactly what Marion said when playing Piaf. She did not want it to be an imitation, but wanted it to be as real as possible and feel what she felt.

DemWilliamsGulls
Mar 2nd, 2012, 02:26 AM
Meryl Streep is a BEAST! I love her....My favorite movie featuring her is "The Devil Wears Prada"

_marial_
Mar 2nd, 2012, 03:23 PM
Meryl Streep is a BEAST! I love her....My favorite movie featuring her is "The Devil Wears Prada"

Yeah, that movie was great, but my favourite movie with her is Sophies choice. This movie (and of course Meryl) is phenomenal :hearts:

dybbuk
Mar 2nd, 2012, 06:43 PM

But for a real person you're still living up to expectations; to be like a person many/most of the people watching actually know about and know how they acted in real life. In a fictional character you can at least take artistic liberties without too much outcry. I find them both difficult, and I don't quite get why you seem to think playing real people somehow proves some drop off in acting ability. I mean, Grace Kelly is an Oscar winner. It wasn't like all the actresses who won back in the early decades were amazing either.

And btw, your post seems to be about fictional characters based on famous novels, where the public already had a picture in their head of how the character should be. What about original characters? How are they more difficult then? The audience wouldn't be putting any expectations on them going in.

Barktra
Mar 2nd, 2012, 11:17 PM
I loved Cotillard reaction when she won

MbM88BG9Ae8

Barktra
Mar 2nd, 2012, 11:28 PM
I wish Carey Mulligan would have won for An Education instead of Bullock

Helen Lawson
Mar 2nd, 2012, 11:53 PM
I also forgot how really great she was in Adaptation, I think that's one of her best ones.

WowWow
Mar 3rd, 2012, 12:06 AM
Marion...and I say that with Kate in the poll, so it's got to mean something lol

Miranda
Mar 3rd, 2012, 04:33 AM
Have only seen Black Swan so far. Accidentally happened to watch "La vie en rose" on my tv yesterday. Far from an acting expert, but purely in my humble opinion, Natalie was already very good in black swan for me, but Marion, wow :eek:. Not sure if Edith Piaf was really walked and behaved like Marion in the film as my only impression about Edith was just a short youtube video but then it really was not easy to acting in the later years when Edith was in bad health as Marion was still young, but she acted so well, from Edith as a young girl, then to the super star and finally an older woman who suffered from bad health, leaving me a very deep impression with her passion. A very deserved Oscars win. :bowdown:

M.P
Mar 3rd, 2012, 05:40 AM
Have only seen Black Swan so far. Accidentally happened to watch "La vie en rose" on my tv yesterday. Far from an acting expert, but purely in my humble opinion, Natalie was already very good in black swan for me, but Marion, wow :eek:. Not sure if Edith Piaf was really walked and behaved like Marion in the film as my only impression about Edith was just a short youtube video but then it really was not easy to acting in the later years when Edith was in bad health as Marion was still young, but she acted so well, from Edith as a young girl, then to the super star and finally an older woman who suffered from bad health, leaving me a very deep impression with her passion. A very deserved Oscars win. :bowdown:

oh!!! you watched it!!! i forgot to watch :facepalm: