PDA

View Full Version : Mary J. Blige Shrieks the National Anthem

AjdeNate!
Feb 27th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Last night, Mary J. Blige murdered the National Anthem at the NBA All-Star Game. It starts off well, but then... ooftie...

Does she really sing "hoe of the brave". I don't get any distinct 'm' in there at all. :lol:

b0fRRXkmOY0

Too bad she got screwed out of an Oscar nod, or she may have been there instead. :shrug: Is she having a seizure at 1:44?

Mynarco
Feb 27th, 2012, 09:58 PM
at least she didn't fluff the lines.

But seriously, her enunciation of words is really bad

tennisbum79
Feb 27th, 2012, 10:17 PM
No one can do it like the great Whitney Houston.

The Dawntreader
Feb 27th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Flat, drops in and out of her passagio badly. Tries to scream out B flats and flattens them :haha:

ico4498
Feb 27th, 2012, 11:13 PM
No one can do it like the great Whitney Houston.

Whitney's anthem is too recently refreshed in my memory ...

not begrudging the brave their hoe tho'

tennisbum79
Feb 27th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Flat, drops in and out of her passagio badly. Tries to scream out B flats and flattens them :haha:
She was laboring too much.
That face closeup did not help her: heavy makeup

Moveyourfeet
Feb 28th, 2012, 05:12 AM
She didn't play to her strengths. She doesn't have a wide range and her voice is very chesty.
Her appeal is in the raw emotion of her performace not her vocal prowess.

If I were arranging this for her, I would have had her sing the entire thing like she did the first part. No sostenuto in the second part (rockets red glare...) until "land of the free" which is to be taken in head voice. She doesn't have the strongest head voice but the 'ee' vowel sound is easiest sound for weaker head voice (along with 'oo').

Fill the rest with well placed runs and she would have been fine.

Gdsimmons
Feb 28th, 2012, 05:47 AM
MJB really nails it or just fucks up. The thing is she can really sing. But she tries these vocals that just not there for her. I noticed it around The Breakthrough when Be Without You was on every station. She would just start screaming and it wasnt really controlled. If she just kept it smooth and then raised it slightly when she got to the red glare part. She just over did it and her voice checked out

Inger67
Feb 28th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Even Dirk was laughing @ 1:50

And wow that was just bad :facepalm: It didn't start off terrible but soon enough :tape:

So Disrespectful
Feb 28th, 2012, 07:01 AM
It definitely wasn't one of the worst. The microphone was so dry, which didn't help.

Lulu.
Feb 28th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Not her best performance. But not terrible either.

Pops Maellard
Feb 28th, 2012, 08:29 AM
This is a dreadful anthem no matter who sings it (no offense :oh:).

ElusiveChanteuse
Feb 28th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Her vocal range is worse than I expected.:tape:

Sammo
Feb 28th, 2012, 01:31 PM
:haha::haha::haha:

Until the last 50 seconds I thought it was really decent. But then :spit: GREAAAAAAAAATOWWWOWOWOWOWWWWWWWWWAAAAHHHAAHAHAWUUU UUEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAIAIAIAIAIAIAIAIAIAIAIA

Super Dave
Feb 28th, 2012, 02:53 PM
What? A lot of people go insane 1:05 into singing a song. :shrug:

Sir Stefwhit
Feb 28th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Mamma said if I cant say anything nice then keep it to myself....so no comment!!!