PDA

View Full Version : Gainesville High School Students' Racist YouTube Rant Forces Girls To Leave School, A

fifty-fifty
Feb 25th, 2012, 07:11 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/21/gainesville-high-school-s_n_1290929.html

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/506688/thumbs/r-RACIST-RANT-large570.jpg

After two minors from Gainesville High School in Gainesville, Fla., posted a nearly 14-minute-long racist rant on YouTube, the girls are "no longer students at the school," WCJB-TV reports.

(Scroll for video.)

Last week, eight police officers were brought to the campus in light of death threats the girls were receiving in response to their videos. The videos included comments like, "You can understand what we are saying, our accents, we use actual words. Black people do not."

Gainesville High School principal David Shelnutt did not go into detail on the extent of the disciplinary action taken against the girls, but did tell WCJB that their comments were not welcome at the school.

"There's no place for comments like that, that video here at GHS," Shelnutt told the station. "There's no place for that in the Alachua County Public School System, and my opinion, no place for that in society in general."

Since the video went viral last week, the girls have experienced harassment and said they feared for their safety. According to one report by the Gainesville Sun, one of the students involved was hiding out at a relative's house while her mother was at work.

“Our lives have changed totally, 180 degrees," her mother told the paper. "This has made her an adult really quick.”

The girls and one of their parents issued a formal apology in the paper Monday:

"I am one of the girls who were in the racist video that got posted. I’m writing this so that I can tell people how truly sorry I am. I could never, in a million years, have pictured this happening with me involved. I wasn’t raised to hate people for their race, and I still don’t. I made a horrible decision in being a part of this video ... "

The girl also writes that she won't make excuses, but hopes the community will eventually forgive her.

In another apology, the second girl's mother says her daughter has gone into a depression following the backlash of the video, and hopes that the community will forgive her and end the harassment:

"While we can never take back the words and actions that these two children have said, we have to start to heal and forgive IMMEDIATELY. Stop the violent threats to our homes and our children, stop the anger, because this will solve absolutely nothing, and most importantly, look at yourself for change and love."

According to the Gainesville Sun, the high school will wear orange, the color of racial tolerance, this week as a sign of solidarity.

The response to the girls' videos echos sentiments of racial issues in school communities across the country.

Just last summer, 18-year-old Kymberly Wimberly of Arkansas filed suit against McGehee Secondary School after four years of nearly straight-As, honors and Advanced Placement classes had placed her at the top of her graduating class. The suit alleges that though she earned the marks, the school denied her valedictorian status because she is black.

A separate suit filed against a Minnesota school district last August claimed that a Red Wing High School homecoming event called "Wigger Day" caused a black student "severe emotional distress including depression, loss of sleep, stress, crying, humiliation, anxiety, and shame."

"Wigger is a pejorative slang term for a white person who emulates the mannerisms, language and fashions associated with African-American culture," the complaint explains. Students were encouraged to dress in oversized sports jerseys, low-slung pants, baseball hats cocked to the side and 'doo rags.

Most recently in Norcross, Ga., a Beaver Ridge Elementary School teacher resigned after outcry over a third grade math assignment that used slavery examples in word problems. Parents were outraged at both the assignment and the school district's response to the reports of those math problems, which included references to cotton, orange picking and beatings.

One problem read: "If Frederick got two beatings per day, how many beatings did he get in 1 week?"

On the other end of the spectrum, this sensitivity -- or sometimes, lack thereof -- seems to create a bit of an identity crisis among schoolchildren. Some black students say they feel ostracized for acting "too white." One Connecticut middle school student said he was stabbed in the back with a pencil by a peer who thought he wasn't acting "black enough."

WARNING: the following video is disturbing, contains lewd language, and is NSFW.

WATCH:

CAR2h5aSQO4&feature=player_embedded

Optima
Feb 25th, 2012, 08:30 PM
I just can't. That was horrific.

Sammo
Feb 25th, 2012, 09:50 PM
The one on the left looks like a crazy slut, the other in the right looks like the ugly girl who goes with the popular and pretty one to be popular herself, but the latter one only hangs out with her to look prettier :lol:

Anyway, crazy bitches...

mykarma
Feb 25th, 2012, 10:38 PM
I just can't. That was horrific.
I couldn't finish watching and listening to the nonsense. Actually with the crap that the GOP has been spewing during these primaries I understand why people like them feel empowered to say such sick ass crap. What I actually found funny is that she was calling people stupid and couldn't figure out what % 70 of Blacks, 10% of Asians and what % was left for Whites. Initially I felt some compassion for them but after the vid I can't. Now they're sorry because they're being scorned and shown for the racist bitches that they are. To bad their parents didn't teach them better but in most cases kids say what they hear at home. Tough for them and I hope where ever they go people will recognize them.

*JR*
Feb 26th, 2012, 12:23 AM
...Actually with the crap that the GOP has been spewing during these primaries I understand why people like them feel empowered to say such sick ass crap...

I thoroughly oppose both the GOP agenda, and the attitude of these girls. That said (and having watched all 20 of their debates in this cycle) I cannot recall anything a contender for the Republican nomination has said during this campaign that can be seen as enabling of the attitudes expressed on the vid; other than possibly (and if so, quite indirectly) Newt Gingrich having referred to Barack Obama as "America's best food stamp President". BTW, as this response (and the quoted sentence) are about US politics, kindly c/p this and whatever reply you may have to that thread.

Stamp Paid
Feb 26th, 2012, 01:16 AM
LOL @ homegirl's "My grandaddy was rich in Cuba until Castro" sob story :lol:

mykarma
Feb 26th, 2012, 01:17 AM
I thoroughly oppose both the GOP agenda, and the attitude of these girls. That said (and having watched all 20 of their debates in this cycle) I cannot recall anything a contender for the Republican nomination has said during this campaign that can be seen as enabling of the attitudes expressed on the vid; other than possibly (and if so, quite indirectly) Newt Gingrich having referred to Barack Obama as "America's best food stamp President". BTW, as this response (and the quoted sentence) are about US politics, kindly c/p this and whatever reply you may have to that thread.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and where did I state that Newt said any of the things I was referring to in a debate. My post was about the thread topic so if you wanted it to be in the political thread then that's where you should have kindly c/p and posted your post.

Alejandrawrrr
Feb 26th, 2012, 11:29 AM
I find it hard to find sympathy for these girls. Maybe for their families who've been affected by this, but then again where else would they have learned this from in the first place? :shrug:

Sgt.Timmykinz
Feb 26th, 2012, 01:40 PM
If you're going to go out of way to make a racist video at least do it with an ounce of intellegence, they just come across a dumb little whiney bitches!

As for their apologise...really?!?

JN
Feb 26th, 2012, 03:36 PM
...BTW, as this response (and the quoted sentence) are about US politics, kindly c/p this and whatever reply you may have to that thread.

:lol:

You have really become anal about this whole separation of political and other non-tennis related posts issue. Calm down and take a breath, man. It ain't that serious. :help:

pov
Feb 26th, 2012, 04:01 PM
."

WARNING: the following video is disturbing, contains lewd language, and is NSFW.

WATCH:

CAR2h5aSQO4&feature=player_embedded

I watched the first 2 minutes and IMO they have valid points. To that point, I heard nothing that was racist. ('course the word has used as freely as "hate" is nowadays) She made sure to say "not all Black people." I think it's pathetic that when anyone criticizes people who are of a specific race - especially if the people being criticized are AA, the move is to shut them up and scapegoat them. Conversations about race and a reduction in genuine racism can't happen with the PC approach. The fact is that there are a very visible number of AAs who have attitudes much like the ones she was talking about. And yes of course, there's also a number of EAs who have those attitudes. But they are usually less visible and the behavior isn't accepted as much by others.

mykarma
Feb 26th, 2012, 04:03 PM
I find it hard to find sympathy for these girls. Maybe for their families who've been affected by this, but then again where else would they have learned this from in the first place? :shrug:

If you're going to go out of way to make a racist video at least do it with an ounce of intellegence, they just come across a dumb little whiney bitches!

As for their apologise...really?!?

:lol:

You have really become anal about this whole separation of political and other non-tennis related posts issue. Calm down and take a breath, man. It ain't that serious. :help:
:worship:

Stamp Paid
Feb 26th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I watched the first 2 minutes and IMO they have valid points. To that point, I heard nothing that was racist. ('course the word has used as freely as "hate" is nowadays) She made sure to say "not all Black people." I think it's pathetic that when anyone criticizes people who are of a specific race - especially if the people being criticized are AA, the move is to shut them up and scapegoat them. Conversations about race and a reduction in genuine racism can't happen with the PC approach. The fact is that there are a very visible number of AAs who have attitudes much like the ones she was talking about. And yes of course, there's also a number of EAs who have those attitudes. But they are usually less visible and the behavior isn't accepted as much by others.Their points might be valid if it accurately reflected the circumstances of the city they live in, but they dont. She is basically regurgitating a neoconservative point of view on how poverty works in the United States, a view that is totally wrong for a place like Gainesville, Florida. And considering that the main girl in the video is Cuban, I don't find that surprising. :lol:

I am very familiar with the city that they are talking about. The town is a classic example of American rural poverty, and the behavior she attributed to "n.iggers" cut across all racial lines. Gainesville has the most income disparity of any city in Florida outside of Miami. The city is anchored by the University of Florida because their are no viable local industries, so all local resources go into making life easy and comfortable for students and professors at the expense of everyone else. Gainesville is also one of the most heavily policed cities of its size in the country. The non-University affiliated people of Gainesville, black/white/Hispanic, are almost all poor, rigidly segregated, and relegated to the service sector.

Its very obvious that her parents are not well-off, because if she was middle class she wouldn't be going to Gainesville High School. This is an ignorant rant from a Cuban girl trying to bolster her own self esteem and create an alternate reality in which she was superior to her surroundings. Nothing valid here.

JN
Feb 26th, 2012, 06:22 PM
I watched the first 2 minutes and IMO they have valid points. To that point, I heard nothing that was racist. ('course the word has used as freely as "hate" is nowadays) She made sure to say "not all Black people." I think it's pathetic that when anyone criticizes people who are of a specific race - especially if the people being criticized are AA, the move is to shut them up and scapegoat them. Conversations about race and a reduction in genuine racism can't happen with the PC approach. The fact is that there are a very visible number of AAs who have attitudes much like the ones she was talking about. And yes of course, there's also a number of EAs who have those attitudes. But they are usually less visible and the behavior isn't accepted as much by others.

You watch 2 minutes of a 14 minute vid then think you can make valid comments on it? :rolleyes: If the total of what the girl(s) had to say fit nicely into those first 2 minutes, there wouldn't be 12 more for you to conveniently ignore.

Your zeal at discounting racism, whenever it rears its ugly head in this forum, was at one time amazing, now it's simply expected.

young_gunner913
Feb 26th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Bye biches. :wavey:

I'm not sure how one can make an intelligent video about racism?

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee454/wiltongorske/ijustdontknow.gif

miffedmax
Feb 26th, 2012, 07:04 PM
It was still somewhat depressing how many of their "critics" made an issue of the one girl's Hispanic background. I mean it is a bit of a disconnect for me if you attack someone for being a racist by bringing up their ethnic background.

Not that that excuses them at all.

*JR*
Feb 26th, 2012, 07:22 PM

Such excuse making for these 2 arrogant bitches by a poster who's basically called me a male chauvinist pig for commenting on the relative hotness of female politicians, etc. :shrug: BTW, I already have a few future avatars in mind, and yes they're hot babes. :p

mykarma
Feb 26th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Such excuse making for these 2 arrogant bitches by a poster who's basically called me a male chauvinist pig for commenting on the relative hotness of female politicians, etc. :shrug: BTW, I already have a few future avatars in mind, and yes they're hot babes. :p
I mean really *JR*, where's the relevance to the topic at hand?

Moveyourfeet
Feb 28th, 2012, 05:41 AM
Product of the narcissist age.
Hard lesson learned for the girls.

Halardfan
Feb 28th, 2012, 07:44 AM
It was still somewhat depressing how many of their "critics" made an issue of the one girl's Hispanic background. I mean it is a bit of a disconnect for me if you attack someone for being a racist by bringing up their ethnic background.

Not that that excuses them at all.

Agree with this. The girls were utterly stupid, full of prejudice and false assumptions.

Those who sent her abusive messages referring to her background, are hardly any better.

All in all, depressing.

Super Dave
Feb 28th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Just last summer, 18-year-old Kymberly Wimberly of Arkansas filed suit against McGehee Secondary School after four years of nearly straight-As, honors and Advanced Placement classes had placed her at the top of her graduating class.

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/markey_mark_wtf.gif?w=477

égalité
Feb 28th, 2012, 05:04 PM
"Up north there aren't a lot of black people"

:hysteric: Ever been to Detroit? New York City? :haha:

Also, pov seems to care more about disagreeing with the majority opinion in a thread than about being right. :lol: If you don't see racism here, the problem isn't that political correctness hinders effective dialogue on race; the problem is that your definition of racism is wrong. What exactly do you think racism is, if not what's in this video?

delicatecutter
Feb 28th, 2012, 05:32 PM
That video is fucking hysterical. :hysteric: So much of it is hilarious but my favorite part is when she just randomly said that her Spanish teacher is crappy.

http://i35.tinypic.com/2q8r7yc.gif

JN
Feb 28th, 2012, 09:02 PM

Also, pov seems to care more about disagreeing with the majority opinion in a thread than about being right. :lol: If you don't see racism here, the problem isn't that political correctness hinders effective dialogue on race; the problem is that your definition of racism is wrong. What exactly do you think racism is, if not what's in this video?

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed. I've labeled him "TF's resident contrarian." :lol:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?p=20927196&highlight=resident#post20927196 - Scroll up to the original post after reading.

Pops Maellard
Feb 28th, 2012, 09:53 PM
:lol: Their apologies. You wouldn't say that stuff unless you really meant it.

Stamp Paid
Feb 28th, 2012, 10:17 PM

Also, pov seems to care more about disagreeing with the majority opinion in a thread than about being right. :lol: If you don't see racism here, the problem isn't that political correctness hinders effective dialogue on race; the problem is that your definition of racism is wrong. What exactly do you think racism is, if not what's in this video?This is an example of pronounced racial prejudice, not racism.