PDA

View Full Version : Who will go down as the greatest female entertainers of these 10?

ranfurly
Feb 25th, 2012, 12:46 AM
A plethora of great talents that the entertainment industry as bequeathed to us fans, and unfortunately 10 options in a poll isn't enough, however I've chosen - to the best of my abilities ten entertainers of noteworthy who are potential.

Fell free to add others to the thread (not necessacarily who you jizz over but who you feel out there has transended times, who you believe have made an impact during their career to countless people, who you believe is the better)

Thread is totally open and arbitrary, ambivalent, opinionative, because that's how it will likely go.

Who do you think is the greatest?

ElusiveChanteuse
Feb 25th, 2012, 12:51 AM
Where's Beyonce, Christina Aguilera, Rihanna, Britney etc?:oh: They're all entertainers, no?:oh:

ranfurly
Feb 25th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Where's Beyonce, Christina Aguilera, Rihanna, Britney etc?:oh: They're all entertainers, no?:oh:

Where's Dusty Springfield, Cilla Black, Sandie Shaw, Doris Day, Petula Clark,..

So many options..yet so few spaces :-(

Like I said, go hard!

Mary Cherry.
Feb 25th, 2012, 01:57 AM
Madonna.

But from the poll, maybe not the best "entertainer" as such but I think Celine's songs & voice will be one of the most remembered. For me anyway, I'm a sucker for a power ballad :sobbing:

WonderfulLee
Feb 25th, 2012, 02:19 AM
Lady Gaga? really? :help:

anyway, Aretha is the greatest!

So Disrespectful
Feb 25th, 2012, 02:26 AM
I'm definitely a Mariah fan so it's probably hard for be to be entirely objective, but I think she's the most enduring of the list despite being younger than Turner, Franklin and Streisand. She's entering her third decade of sustained success, she's been able to move past the personal issues that marred some of her rivals and her voice is without a doubt the most impressive. Unlike some, she had a hand at writing most of her hits too.

Dion, while a fine singer, is too far removed from pop culture because she was never able to reinvent herself with the younger generation and she's been relegated to adult-contemporary territory for some time now.

Lady Gaga will probably leave the most visible impact on pop culture though because she's raised the bar for the next generation of singers by pulling out all the stops (crazy costumes, overzealous videos, theatrical concert tours). At the end of the day though, she'll be remembered for a lot of things before her solid/standard voice.

Just as a side note, Franklin has never had a US number 1 album.

Pops Maellard
Feb 25th, 2012, 03:08 AM
I voted for Whitney, Mariah, Aretha and Tina.

PatrickRyan
Feb 25th, 2012, 04:14 AM
Judy Garland

Pops Maellard
Feb 25th, 2012, 06:32 AM
With that said about Aretha, it's rather impressive that her most recognized work was recorded within a few years from the late-60s to early-70s and still holds up really well today, and most people still know those songs :bowdown:.

It's sad how unfortunate her voice is these days though :(.

Patrick S
Feb 25th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Neither of those. I vote for Joan Jett.

Zhao
Feb 25th, 2012, 11:44 AM
I'm definitely a Mariah fan so it's probably hard for be to be entirely objective, but I think she's the most enduring of the list despite being younger than Turner, Franklin and Streisand. She's entering her third decade of sustained success, she's been able to move past the personal issues that marred some of her rivals and her voice is without a doubt the most impressive. Unlike some, she had a hand at writing most of her hits too.

Dion, while a fine singer, is too far removed from pop culture because she was never able to reinvent herself with the younger generation and she's been relegated to adult-contemporary territory for some time now.

Lady Gaga will probably leave the most visible impact on pop culture though because she's raised the bar for the next generation of singers by pulling out all the stops (crazy costumes, overzealous videos, theatrical concert tours). At the end of the day though, she'll be remembered for a lot of things before her solid/standard voice.

Just as a side note, Franklin has never had a US number 1 album.

a Mimi fan :wavey:

Dion's discography is... BORING compared to her peers (Madonna, Mimi an Whitney)

Lady Gaga is an icon... a shortlived one though
5 - 10 years down nobody will remember her

Barrie_Dude
Feb 25th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Aretha

Dawn Marie
Feb 25th, 2012, 08:56 PM
WHERE IS THE HELL IS LIZA MINELLI???

I VOTED FOR BABS! I THINK SHE'LL GO DOWN AS THE GREATEST FROM THIS BUNCH. love whit but Babs has been around like forever! Whats up DOC? lol

Dawn Marie
Feb 25th, 2012, 08:57 PM
oops shes there..tired. nap time')

ranfurly
Feb 25th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Barbra transcends talent and greatness.

There are stars....and then there is Barbra Streisand.

Barrie_Dude
Feb 25th, 2012, 09:02 PM
oops shes there..tired. nap time')
Try not to drink so much in the afternoon, okay? :hug:

The Dawntreader
Feb 25th, 2012, 11:12 PM
With that said about Aretha, it's rather impressive that her most recognized work was recorded within a few years from the late-60s to early-70s and still holds up really well today, and most people still know those songs :bowdown:.

It's sad how unfortunate her voice is these days though :(.

She's nearly 70 years old:lol: Most female voices start to lose their range and control from about 50 onwards. Plus she sang in a pretty heavy tessitura for the majority of her career. It takes it's toll.

I think Tina Turner is the best performer off the list, and a fantastic vocalist.

Pops Maellard
Feb 25th, 2012, 11:17 PM
She's nearly 70 years old:lol: Most female voices start to lose their range and control from about 50 onwards. Plus she sang in a pretty heavy tessitura for the majority of her career. It takes it's toll.

I think Tina Turner is the best performer off the list, and a fantastic vocalist.
That's true ;).

antonella
Feb 25th, 2012, 11:49 PM
Maria Callas was light-years beyond these people.

Laura_VeeFan
Feb 26th, 2012, 12:02 AM
Why is Lady Gaga in the same list as these legends?

Anyway I'd say Tina Turner, she's 70 and still tours :speakles:

Chrissie-fan
Feb 26th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Maria Callas was light-years beyond these people.
But would she have approved of being called an entertainer? I doubt it.

Chrissie-fan
Feb 26th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Judy Garland
A serious candidate for sure.

The Dawntreader
Feb 26th, 2012, 12:13 AM
But would she have approved of being called an entertainer? I doubt it.

Exactly. Maria Callas was the giant of her medium, but she wasn't as widespread.

ElusiveChanteuse
Feb 26th, 2012, 01:55 AM
Donna Summer - Queen of Disco :dance:
:worship:

QfL7Gk7Fpes

wPlV2dzXWCw

OE5QfmGM0D0

FXewXKFmBn0

4D5mhRPT_Nk

Effortless entertainer.:worship: Don't even need to shake her ass to entertain the crowd.:oh:

Dawn Marie
Feb 26th, 2012, 02:22 AM
Josephine Baker was a great singer and entertainer! I got pics of her wax statue and she was built like a brickhouse. I was a bit jealous..lol

Hi Barridude,been up since 4:30 am. ACK!

kwilliams
Feb 26th, 2012, 04:40 AM
Tina Turner has it all and has always been underrated, she should be even more popular than she is.

moby
Feb 26th, 2012, 05:21 AM
Madonna

Hurley
Feb 26th, 2012, 05:49 AM
WHERE IS THE HELL IS LIZA MINELLI?

Thousands of people left out of the poll and a fit is pitched about one of the ten people who is actually there. Classic Dawn Maree. :worship:

Maddox
Feb 26th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Madonna;

-Has been relevant for 4 decades
-Has sold more albums than any female
-richest female musician
-inspired a new generation; britney, gaga, pink etc
-highest grossing tour of any solo artist
-master of reinvention

Come on now :lol:

pierce85
Feb 26th, 2012, 07:47 PM
It's baffling how the OP chose to leave Madonna out, undeniably the best entertainer for 30+ years

Charlatan
Feb 26th, 2012, 10:46 PM
a Mimi fan :wavey:

Dion's discography is... BORING compared to her peers (Madonna, Mimi an Whitney)

Lady Gaga is an icon... a shortlived one though
5 - 10 years down nobody will remember her

True that. She has probably one of the most uninteresting discographies among her contemporaries

Dawn Marie
Feb 26th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Hi Hurley,Love yah babe.:-)
First of all,To be regarded as an all time great entertainer u must be a triple threat!! This poll is crazy.

Where is Carol Channing? Doris Day? Rita Moreno? Hell Lola Falana? Marie Osmond? Josephine Baker? Lena Horne? Marlene Detrich?Patti Lapone?

ranfurly
Feb 27th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Hi Hurley,Love yah babe.:-)
First of all,To be regarded as an all time great entertainer u must be a triple threat!! This poll is crazy.

Where is Carol Channing? Doris Day? Rita Moreno? Hell Lola Falana? Marie Osmond? Josephine Baker? Lena Horne? Marlene Detrich?Patti Lapone?

They are great in their own right, but none compare to the likes of Streisand/Garland.

btw: Streisand is far superior to Madonna.

No contest.