PDA

View Full Version : Roland Garros hotel recommendations/advice

Svetlana)))
Feb 19th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Hi guys, this year I'll be going to RG for the first time. Do you guys have any recommendations for accomodation that is both convenient and comfortable? Also, any other advice for first-timers like myself regarding food/transport/ticketing transfer in general? Thank you.

Sombrerero loco
Feb 19th, 2012, 08:43 AM
same here, im interested too, please help :)

everythingtaboo
Feb 19th, 2012, 10:24 AM
+1

valac222
Feb 19th, 2012, 11:18 AM
RG is close to underground so practically enywhere in Paris. Just check your purse.

StephenUK
Feb 19th, 2012, 11:30 AM
I went to Roland Garros in 2005, it's amazing!!!

My advice:

1. Hotels - this really depends how long you are staying and how much time you are spending in Roland Garros. I went for just one day and used the visit to do sightseeing too so it did not really matter where I stayed as long as it was reasonably central and good value, it is easy to get to the stadium by metro. If you are just going to Roland Garros, then I would stay somewhere near the venue in the Boulogne-Billancourt area or otherwise in the west.

2. Roland Garros is situated in the far west of central Paris at the Porte d'Auteuil. Anywhere that is called 'Porte' means that it was a gate of the old city walls so that means it is not that central. It is also situated in the huge Bois de Boulogne park, which is lovely to walk around by day, but not by night, unless you want to meet a lady or tranny of the night!! [The first time I went to Bois de Boulogne by day to see the outside of the stadium one summer, I saw a lady in a fur coat flashing at traffic!] The metro stop is Porte d'Auteuil, it's on line 10 and Direction: Boulogne:Porte de Saint Cloud.

3. I don't know if it has been improved since I was there but the whole venue is an unholy squash. The queue to get in, even with tickets, is a melee so arrive early. Remember the matches start at 11am so I would arrive well before 10am so you are not frustrated by being kept outside waiting whilst the tennis is on inside!

4. Be prepared for the tennis going on from 11am right through to 8.30pm, so make sure you have sunscreen, headcovering, sunglasses and enough water and food to get you through half a day so you don't have to keep leaving the court.

5. The venue is far more squashed than either Wimbledon or Flushing Meadow, so it is actually a bit of a nightmare looking round it, the crowds are too much. Watching matches on the outside courts is very difficult, much harder than either of the above, so I would stick to your show court, you will have a much more pleasant day.

Amusez-vous bien!