PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Harrison says coaches teach grunting to distract

Kworb
Feb 18th, 2012, 02:13 PM
http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/news.aspx?articleid=16504&zoneid=25

Ryan Harrison believes that new junior players can be taught not to grunt, but doesn’t believe that established players can tone down the volume of their shrieks. Harrison’s father Pat is a longtime teaching pro who told his kids not to be noisy.

Ryan Harrison told reporters at the SAP Open in San Jose said that some kids at the Nick Bollettieri Academy, where he occasionally trains, are "a lot more [noisy] than they need to be. If you have a 7-year-old girl grunting louder than I can scream in my entire life, that’s not really necessary. If you make some sort of exhaling noise, that’s fine, but whenever you hear a loud scream, I don’t know if it’s necessary at all times. There are some women pros who can’t stop because they have been doing it for so long, if you tell them to stop if will mess with their game. At that point they’ve gotten in rhythm and they are in their comfort zone. You can’t tell someone like Maria Sharapova to stop grunting because she's been doing it since she started playing. For her it’s not a distraction technique for her opponent, that’s just what she always done."

Harrison added that some coaches are culpable. "There are younger kids at academies like Bollettieri's that are taught to do things like that to mess with their opponents. My dad is OK with some sort of exhaling or some sort of noise, but if he starts getting the feeling some distraction for an opponent… The guy I was playing today [Dimitar Kutrovsky] was trying to dance around during my second serve and I’ve never been one to do anything, from bathroom breaks to grunting to trying to dance during someone’s service motion to try to mess up another player. Anything I’ve ever done is to try to control my side of the court. That’s how I was brought up. My dad never taught me to take bathroom breaks like you see other coaches trying to tell people to do that to try and disrupt rhythm. I always have had the approach that my game is better than yours and I don’t need to disrupt yours because I’m going to do what I can do and that’s going to be good enough."—Matt Cronin

I wonder if Azarenka's coach sent her to like voice lessons to try and make her grunt as annoying as humanly possible.

Mightymirza
Feb 18th, 2012, 02:22 PM
lol what about Nadal and Djokovic grunting like pigs? :lol: What does Mr. Harrison say about that?

The Witch-king
Feb 18th, 2012, 02:27 PM
ryan is such a republican

Apoleb
Feb 18th, 2012, 02:29 PM
That's definitely a main reason. And even a disgusting competitor like Crapova starts playing with her grunt when she's desperate.

currie84
Feb 18th, 2012, 02:36 PM
who?

metamorpha
Feb 18th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Basically he said that it's OK to grunt but NOT screaming like a pig to the point that it might distract your opponent.

Gilas.
Feb 18th, 2012, 03:15 PM
:spit: Harrison is a mug and has despicable behavior. This is kinda expected from him.

Young 8
Feb 18th, 2012, 03:18 PM
And the news would be ?

marineblue
Feb 18th, 2012, 03:27 PM
http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/news.aspx?articleid=16504&zoneid=25

I wonder if Azarenka's coach sent her to like voice lessons to try and make her grunt as annoying as humanly possible.

I don't think she needs any more guidance, that would be fatal :lol:
But she did not used to grunt. There is a video of her on youtube where she did not do it so her saying that she's always grunted it's a lot of bullshit.

Trickle
Feb 18th, 2012, 03:29 PM
He actually has a point. He kind of has articulated what I've always thought about the grunting issue. Telling Maria and Victoria to completely stop grunting is going to mess up the game they've been doing since they started. They've been conditioned to believe that the grunting is part of their game. We've seen plenty of videos of them playing without grunting, it's just they believe they aren't in a 100% zone if they do not do that grunting.

timafi
Feb 18th, 2012, 03:30 PM
that arrogant cursing NO result punk should focus on grunting;maybe he'd do better in spite of the goddamn hype :rolleyes:

gawd I hate Roddick;Harrison and Fish so fucking much

gulzhan
Feb 18th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I always had a feeling this Harrison guy is a jerk :unsure: Now I have proof he is :spit:

C. Drone
Feb 18th, 2012, 04:07 PM
gotta give credit how he describes himself as the moral lighttower of pro tennis. :spit:

wildemu
Feb 18th, 2012, 04:12 PM
I don't think he really said anything that bad to get flamed imo. Sure, he's arrogant but that's only about his game and his results, he's dead on about grunting in the sport though.

NeKo
Feb 18th, 2012, 04:15 PM

Vika is grunting since she was a kid...and she did it because she was very thin and powerless.

pov
Feb 18th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Yay . another grunting thread! :lol:

IMO if a player is so mentally lax that regular grunting distracts them that's their problem. Now if a player was to suddenly grunt very loudly only on few points I could see the surprise effect of that being a distraction.

No more grunt-less #1s!!!

Monzanator
Feb 18th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Hopefully Sharapova and Azarenka can grunt even louder to upset all the haters & random wannabes more :rocker:

hobahobaspirit
Feb 18th, 2012, 04:34 PM
:facepalm:

Reading the comments, it looks like most of the posters didn't even take time to read the article. They just read the title and start bashing :facepalm:

faboozadoo15
Feb 18th, 2012, 04:35 PM
:facepalm:

Reading the comments, it looks like most of the posters didn't even take time to read the article. They just read the title and start bashing :facepalm:

:lol: Exactly. It's so funny that people are so ignorant and hate on someone blindly for such a benign statement.

faboozadoo15
Feb 18th, 2012, 04:37 PM
that arrogant cursing NO result punk should focus on grunting;maybe he'd do better in spite of the goddamn hype :rolleyes:

Your ignorance is astounding.

:wavey:

Kipling
Feb 18th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Of course it's gamesmanship. Why do you think Navratilova has labeled it 'cheating'? And he's wrong about Sharapova not being able to help it--she can obviously raise or lower the noise level during a match, so she can turn it off as well. She simply chooses not to.

Lord Choc Ice
Feb 18th, 2012, 08:37 PM
I like Ryan, he's cute :). And he's probably more insider-knowledgable on the issue than all of us :lol:. He was trained at Bollitteiri's no?

Wiggly
Feb 18th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Some people can control their alcoholism, drug addiction. The players can control their vocal cords.

VIKA?
Feb 18th, 2012, 08:41 PM
This Ryan Harrison...lol

currie84
Feb 18th, 2012, 08:44 PM
"Barbora Zahlavova Strycova says coaches teach time wastin and butt pickin"
the equivalent thread in menstennisforum.

Wiggly
Feb 18th, 2012, 08:45 PM

Post of the year. :rolls:

Sammo
Feb 18th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Could his name be more generic?

Jane Lane
Feb 18th, 2012, 09:42 PM

BAHAHAHAHA :hysteric:

mac47
Feb 18th, 2012, 09:53 PM
:spit: Harrison is a mug and has despicable behavior. This is kinda expected from him.

Harrison is a class act and a promising young player.

edificio
Feb 18th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Thank you for reporting Ryan Harrison's words of wisdom! :rolleyes:

Work on your own game, Ryan.

:yeah:

jrm
Feb 18th, 2012, 09:59 PM
so true ...

ivanban
Feb 18th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Vika is grunting since she was a kid...and she did it because she was very thin and powerless.

Oh really... :rolleyes:

AxsHLutdDsw

Don't know what actually happened here, probably she was recharging shriek-batteries :scratch:

1sGbzNAA0gI

Can't find the video from her teen years :(

Sam L
Feb 18th, 2012, 10:40 PM

:worship:

Kairi
Feb 18th, 2012, 10:41 PM
:haha:

Jane Lane
Feb 18th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Do coaches teach you to drop f bombs and spike balls at ball kids too Ryan? :facepalm: Arrogant, overhyped punk. It sickens me he's the 4th American and not Querrey.

Lord Choc Ice
Feb 18th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Azarenka fans are so sensitive :haha:.

Jane Lane
Feb 18th, 2012, 11:30 PM

Nah, I just don't like him. :lol: He's not allowed to have opinions on anything.

Bronx19
Feb 19th, 2012, 12:56 AM

LOL. Yes, making noise increases your power.

:lol:

young_gunner913
Feb 19th, 2012, 12:58 AM
I want to work with Ryan on his grunting. It's not to my liking.

SwingVolley93
Feb 19th, 2012, 01:00 AM

+1
They have now become the most annoying fanbase.

Gilas.
Feb 19th, 2012, 01:34 AM

Definitely. He is a shining beacon of graceful behavior, as is exemplified in the following videos:

bzQDRn25bC4
_IzJ9yA6XXw

donellcarey
Feb 19th, 2012, 01:37 AM
Ryan:facepalm:

Tennisation
Feb 19th, 2012, 01:38 AM
There's a difference between grunting and screaming, Sharapova is straight up screaming.

The Kaz
Feb 19th, 2012, 01:44 AM
+1
They have now become the most annoying fanbase.

Nope. You alone still ensure that Aga has the most annoying fanbase :hearts:

Lord Choc Ice
Feb 19th, 2012, 01:44 AM
In the first vid he was reasonably polite :p.

mac47
Feb 19th, 2012, 02:26 AM
LOL, well, everyone has bad days. And he was playing Llodra, which is enough to drive any modern player nuts.

cowsonice
Feb 19th, 2012, 04:55 AM
:rolleyes:

Harrison actually sounds reasonable and observant enough in that most. What he says is true; Bollitieri has produced players who excessively grunt. If it were Sam Querrey saying this, I doubt the backlash would be as strong. :shrug:

Setsuna.
Feb 19th, 2012, 05:45 AM
He is right.

faboozadoo15
Feb 19th, 2012, 06:57 AM
:worship:

:weirdo:

disco_rage
Feb 19th, 2012, 07:12 AM
My gosh. Some people are so sensitive on here. Grow up. He makes some valid comments.
The screaming is out of control and you can't tell me that Sharapova and Azarenka's and the like's screams (i don't call them grunts) are natural.
Yes, they have been doing them a long time and are now a part of their game but at 4-5 years old they did not pick up a racquet and make that noise.

Sombrerero loco
Feb 19th, 2012, 07:43 AM
ryan is right. and he is a great guy too, grunting is... :unsure:

Freakan
Feb 19th, 2012, 09:21 AM
H'e totally right and almost every not grunting player will tell you the same thing.

jj74
Feb 19th, 2012, 09:59 AM
I don't understand the bashing of this guy, he is totally right.
Players like Sharapova or Azarenka are great, but sometimes you desire to be deaf watching their matches.
A little grunt is ok, even a scream from time to time. Screaming like you are dying at every point is annoying

metamorpha
Feb 19th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Do people forget already that Sharapova started to SCREAM louder after she won Wimby 2004? She already made repressed noise throughout the tournament but it really took flight afterward.

You can point your finger to... years of training in that academy and of course, Mad Yuri.