PDA

View Full Version : A little random trivia...

The Kaz
Feb 18th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Graf's only 3 loses in 1997 (excluding her WO to Hingis at PPO) were all to Amanda Coetzer including a 6-0 6-1 drubbing at her favourite tournament Berlin which was the only match in her entire career which she couldn't manage to win 2 games in a match.

How random :lol: Coetzer :worship:

ToopsTame
Feb 18th, 2012, 01:22 PM
What the hell was going on with Graf there? I know she had trouble with Coetzer in other matches, but only winning one game is ridiculous.

*Jool*
Feb 18th, 2012, 01:23 PM
haha -never noticed that. Had Coetzer never played tennis ,Graf could have had maybe a perfect year ? :p
Amanda :worship:

Ashi
Feb 18th, 2012, 01:49 PM
The original Pocket Rocket. ;)

hingis-seles
Feb 18th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Graf's only 3 loses in 1997 (excluding her WO to Hingis at PPO) were all to Amanda Coetzer including a 6-0 6-1 drubbing at her favourite tournament Berlin which was the only match in her entire career which she couldn't manage to win 3 games in a match (she never lost a match 6-1 6-1) .

How random :lol: Coetzer :worship:

RG 1991 SF : ASV def Graf 6-0, 6-2.

Halepsova
Feb 18th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I still don't get how Coetzer's game troubled Graf. :confused:

ToopsTame
Feb 18th, 2012, 04:08 PM
I still don't get how Coetzer's game troubled Graf. :confused:

Coetzer could read Graf's patterns well and got many balls back. When Graf would have one of those error-prone days (which would happen more often near the end of her career), Coetzer would get to everything and not give up any errors herself.

*Jool*
Feb 18th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Graf got frustrated by Coetzer's getting everything back I guess

Apoleb
Feb 18th, 2012, 04:46 PM
nyUpwmKIYYw

Even when she was sucking, she looked like a Ferrari on the court. :inlove: You can see that 1999 GS champion and finalist Graf was a shadow of the athlete she was.

Your fave could neva.

Anyway, Coetzer herself was a terrific athlete with great footwork - she read Steffi's game very well, and was able to keep it fairly consistently to the backhand side because of her footwork. It's one of the reasons why, contrary to popular opinion, Graf's baseline game is a better matchup in today's game than it was back in the 90s. She had to a face a plethora of great athletes who were able to implement the necessary agility and footwork to deal with the backhand slice and force her to hit more and more.

bassoon
Feb 18th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Graf also had real trouble with Lori McNeil, losing to her twice in the first round of a tournament, if I remember correctly....