PDA

View Full Version : Why Peer got MDWC to Dubai this year?

TeamUla
Feb 18th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Do I miss something? :confused:

Setsuna.
Feb 18th, 2012, 11:20 AM
WTF?!!!! Is this for real??

ElusiveChanteuse
Feb 18th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Because Peer is from Israel and Israel is pretty near Dubai, so....:shrug: :oh:

Meelis
Feb 18th, 2012, 11:23 AM
I think it was one of the promises Dubai was forced to make, after the 2009 controversy.

Meelis
Feb 18th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Has a super draw (Al Nabhani) too :lol:

améliemomo
Feb 18th, 2012, 11:29 AM
WTA=USA

USA=ISRAEL

WTA pressure on Dubai tournament to give her a wc

she'll win a match and bye so :rolleyes:

JustPetko
Feb 18th, 2012, 11:40 AM
WC = Well-pushed Card? :shrug:

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 18th, 2012, 11:42 AM
talk about fixing the draw for her too

c'mon Fatma beat her :armed:

Raiden
Feb 18th, 2012, 11:47 AM
WTA=USA

USA=ISRAEL

(...)

:rolleyes:Dubai organizers initially thought that they had only ordered halal falafel for the tournament catering... but then subsequently found out a kosher batch in the freezer (Mossad switched a couple of treys in the delivery van) so they adjusted the tournament invitations accordingly.

goat
Feb 18th, 2012, 01:01 PM
vomit.

*Jool*
Feb 18th, 2012, 01:03 PM
fair enough ? :shrug:
what really happened in 2009 ? I'm dull concerning Mid-Orient riots, was it linked?

doujyr
Feb 18th, 2012, 01:04 PM
even more of a surprise if she's on cc

flareon
Feb 18th, 2012, 01:10 PM
:lol: this made me giggle.

goat
Feb 18th, 2012, 01:13 PM
fair enough ? :shrug:
what really happened in 2009 ? I'm dull concerning Mid-Orient riots, was it linked?

She is Jewish residing in a Jewish occupied land playing in a Arabic nation, need say more?

*Jool*
Feb 18th, 2012, 01:20 PM
that will do thanks .. religious hate :facepalm:

yet it's not her fault , and I guess people don't like her too much for "pushing" too much , but the amount of 'hate' or criticisms she receives on this forum , or for obtaining that WC , from some posters is kinda harsh IMO ..

goat
Feb 18th, 2012, 01:23 PM

yet it's not her fault , and I guess people don't like her too much for "pushing" too much , but the amount of 'hate' or criticisms she receives on this forum , or for obtaining that WC , from some posters is kinda harsh IMO ..

Yes, I 100 percent agree its religious, not cultural, not heritage. (no sarcasm)

The Kaz
Feb 18th, 2012, 01:28 PM

Peer was very outspoken about the issue at the time and determined to play there no matter what (Don't get me wrong, so she should she qualified after all) and is to date the only Israel player to try and play in the Middle East, other like Smashnova and Obziler never bother to push the issue in the regards to playing in the Middle East.

Doha was happy to have her but Dubai was much more hostile and they paid dearly for their blatant Racism and now I think that every time Peer what to play Dubai and cannot qualify due to her ranking she will be given a WC.

Interestingly Shahar has had amazing results at Dubai including a SF in 2010 where she had to play top seed Venus on a outside court :o

Elisse
Feb 18th, 2012, 01:42 PM
OMG...a WC for Peer :o

Honestly, I went to Dubai tourney last 3 years......she is treated VERY well by the organisers!! They have practically ruined this tourney by making the security so tough as to 'protect' her...when really there is NO hostility against her at all by the public (I've never even heard one person make a negative comment about her there) The only reason they don't usually put her on Centre Court is because they are trying so damn hard to keep her secure, not as some mark of disrespect towards her. There are many entrances to CC...too many to check for stray water bottles etc.......they usually have her play the smaller courts as there is only one entrance, everyone is now body scanned, bag checked, ALL bottles and drinks removed, no cameras allowed because they are so worried about being critised if something did go wrong (can't even take water to the courts she plays on - even for players/photographers/officials - you have to ask for a cup of water...which is terrible (and dangerous) in 40degree heat - and impossible to do on CC when it's full with a few thousand people) This is completely over-the-top though, giving her a WC as to show there is no hostility against an Israeli player...don't get me wrong, I think she has EVERY right to play there, I just think it's too much...

First year I went to Dubai tourney it was the best, really fantastic tourney in every way...didn't bother going this year cause it's now so bad, can't walk anywhere in the grounds without the security stopping you every 5 mins....went to Pattaya Open instead..

Otlichno
Feb 18th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Dubai organizers initially thought that they had only ordered halal falafel for the tournament catering... but then subsequently found out a kosher batch in the freezer (Mossad switched a couple of treys in the delivery van) so they adjusted the tournament invitations accordingly.

Falafel is falafel. It cannot be "halal" as it does not contain any type of meat. :)

Good on Dubai. :)

The Kaz
Feb 18th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Smashnova never claimed to be part

What do you mean?

BlueTrees
Feb 18th, 2012, 01:56 PM
She's gotten the most ridiculous first round draws this year. :spit:

Australian Open 1R: df. (WC) Isabella Holland 6-2 6-0
Doha 1R: df. (WC)Nadia Lalami 6-0 6-0
Dubai 1R: vs. (WC)Fatma Al Nabhani

njnetswill
Feb 18th, 2012, 02:09 PM
It's not just a tournament decision though, it also involves governments and the granting of visas, etc. Special exceptions need to be made when you carry a passport that is not recognized by the host government. Of course, in places like the UAE the links between who is in charge of tournaments and the governments are fairly close.

hobahobaspirit
Feb 18th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Most arab countries are shit scared of Iran, UAE is just showing their support to Israel in the conflict. :shrug:

Apoleb
Feb 18th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Smashnova never claimed to be part of a nation which isn't a nation either...

Yes, I 100 percent agree its religious, not cultural, not heritage. (no sarcasm)

God, just STFU. :facepalm:

Madoka
Feb 18th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Smashnova never claimed to be part of a nation which isn't a nation either...

sorry ?

Israel
Feb 18th, 2012, 04:07 PM
What does Smashnova have to do with this thread anyways?
It's nice that they gave her this WC but I don't think she should play these big tournaments like Dubai or other big Premiers. She needs to play smaller international tournaments to get some wins under her belt...
Also what's with all the Peer bashing? I mean why does it bug you so much that they gave her a WC? World number 5XX also got a WC...

$uricate
Feb 18th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Do I miss something? :confused:

PR baby!

Has a super draw (Al Nabhani) too :lol:

Nooooooooo.

Peng needed that draw to actually win a match :(

ptkten
Feb 18th, 2012, 04:16 PM
I said it another thread, but it's amazing the lack of tolerance there is for Israeli people among many posters on the board. Shahar can't help that she was born in Israel or to the Jewish faith so just let her be. The amount of grief she received from these countries governments and the tournaments for several years more than justifies them giving her a wildcard. However, that isn't the only reason she deserves it. Her last two years there she made the SF and QF so she also has the results.

faboozadoo15
Feb 18th, 2012, 04:34 PM
I said it another thread, but it's amazing the lack of tolerance there is for Israeli people among many posters on the board. Shahar can't help that she was born in Israel or to the Jewish faith so just let her be. The amount of grief she received from these countries governments and the tournaments for several years more than justifies them giving her a wildcard. However, that isn't the only reason she deserves it. Her last two years there she made the SF and QF so she also has the results.

I agree 100%, and I don't like Peer anyways. She justifies this WC in numerous ways. Also her normal ranking isn't that low.

duhcity
Feb 18th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Can we just say that Smashnova and Oblizer did not complain because they accepted cash payments in return for not playing.

The only reason Shahar complained is...for a brief time at least, she contended to go far into the week.

young_gunner913
Feb 18th, 2012, 05:00 PM
It's always nice whenever a Shahar thread comes into GM, the resident bigots flood out. :facepalm:

Juju Nostalgique
Feb 18th, 2012, 05:07 PM
The WTFest WC of the year? :oh:

miffedmax
Feb 18th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Enough. Any more attacks on anybody based on their national origins will result in appropriate actions. Such posts are against forum policy.

That applies to the organizers, the players, the fans, everybody.

C. Drone
Feb 18th, 2012, 05:33 PM
okay she got WC, but why got a BYE too?