PDA

View Full Version : Major own goal by WTA Tour: no grass court events between Wimbledon and the Olympics!

StephenUK
Feb 18th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Just glancing at the tour calendar and noticed a real hole in the calendar - the lack of grass court events for the three weeks between Wimbledon and the Olympics this summer. Players will have no chance to get grass match practice, are they expected to go to hard courts to Stanford or clay to Palermo etc and then switch back?

The Tour has known about this for years so they should have acted. Couldn't they have had a WTA event at Nottingham which hosts ITFs or revive the old grass event at Newport, Rhode Island, which used to follow Wimbledon in the olden days? Useless, WTA Tour! :rolleyes:

plokploky
Feb 18th, 2012, 10:34 AM
The real problem is that are far too many hard court events, and nowhere near enough grass events. They need a premier mandatory grass event, and not just one or two grass tournaments between wimbledon and the olympics.

Mynarco
Feb 18th, 2012, 10:36 AM
I still don't understand why grass season doesn't even last a whole month (Birmingham/Den Bosch + Eastbourne is way too short in terms of pre-slam preparation) while there are some random clay MM AFTER Wimbledon even though Clay season finishes by early June

Raiden
Feb 18th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Olympics is a quadrennial aberration for a minority of players.

That's not anywhere near enough to deserve precursor/warmup tournaments prior to it.

Matt01
Feb 18th, 2012, 11:32 AM
So the OP expects the WTA tour to invent 15 new grass tourneys because the Olympics this year are on grass to dump them again next year?

StephenUK
Feb 18th, 2012, 11:50 AM
So the OP expects the WTA tour to invent 15 new grass tourneys because the Olympics this year are on grass to dump them again next year?

No not 15, 2 would do which could then be part of the calendar from then on. Why not elongate the grass season a bit after Wimbledon? July weather in Europe suits the surface, why not have a couple then? The tour needs more variety of surfaces and there are clay events after Wimbledon which are not leading up to anything.

Meelis
Feb 18th, 2012, 11:51 AM
WTA can´t even find a WTA grass court tournament to share a week with Birmingham, despite planning it for years. Last year`s Nottingham ITF and rumors about Halle are closest they have been. And that Cairo thing.

StephenUK
Feb 18th, 2012, 11:53 AM
The real problem is that are far too many hard court events, and nowhere near enough grass events. They need a premier mandatory grass event, and not just one or two grass tournaments between wimbledon and the olympics.

Good idea, why not an MM in Nottingham 1-2 weeks after Wimbledon and then a premier mandatory in Halle for the women 2-3 weeks after Wimbledon where the men's event is before Wimbledon. Sorted!

Matt01
Feb 18th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Good idea, why not an MM in Nottingham 1-2 weeks after Wimbledon and then a premier mandatory in Halle for the women 2-3 weeks after Wimbledon where the men's event is before Wimbledon. Sorted!

So I am asking again: You want the WTA to invent new grass tourneys and then dump them the next year? Because it would be absolutely useless to have a "grass premier mandatory" in Halle next year (which I doubt has the facilties for such a field) 2-3 weeks after Wimbledon when the US Open series is just starting.
This year is an anomaly because the Olympics are played on grass, do you want to abolish tournaments with tradition like Stanford or Carlsbad because of that?

ToopsTame
Feb 18th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Grass is too expensive to maintain compared to hard courts and unless Wimbledon itself is moved back, there isn't any space to schedule additional events. There's no point adding events after Wimbledon because barely anyone will want to play on grass when the US Open Series has already begun.

Matt01
Feb 18th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Grass is too expensive to maintain compared to hard courts and unless Wimbledon itself is moved back, there isn't any space to schedule additional events. There's no point adding events after Wimbledon because barely anyone will want to play on grass when the US Open Series has already begun.

Exactly.

I could even live with some more premier grass events between RG and Wimbledon but since Wimbledon won't move, this discussion is pointless.

roelc
Feb 18th, 2012, 01:02 PM
I still don't understand why grass season doesn't even last a whole month (Birmingham/Den Bosch + Eastbourne is way too short in terms of pre-slam preparation) while there are some random clay MM AFTER Wimbledon even though Clay season finishes by early June

because RG and Wimbledon organizers don't want to shift dates.
as simple as that

mac47
Feb 18th, 2012, 01:10 PM
They should definitely add a grass Mandatory as a permanent feature of the tour calendar, not just for this year. I love grass tennis. It would be great for some of my faves and bad for the pushers who can't play on anything but hardcourt.

Gilas.
Feb 18th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Grass is too expensive

Answers the OP's question right there.

Mary Cherry.
Feb 18th, 2012, 01:16 PM
They should host the entire season in the UK on grass.

goat
Feb 18th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Grass is mediocre. (says Stosur fan)

C. Drone
Feb 18th, 2012, 01:25 PM
what "own goal"? :lol:
Olympics not even organised by WTA, why would they support like that? its enough big ask to change the calendar around that time, but "invent" new tournaments...