PDA

View Full Version : Which was Kim's worst slam final defeat

Clijsters28
Feb 17th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Of all the slam finals Kim lost which was the worst:

2001 French Open final- She was on the verge of victory numerous times and choked a bit.

2003 French Open final- Was never in the match. Badly outplayed.

2003 U.S Open final- On her favorite surface and best slam she was trounced by an immobile stiff Henin who was in hospital hours before the match.

2004 Australian Open final- Played her best slam final yet or since the 2001 French anyway, but still couldnt win even after Henin choked twice to let her back in the match.

So which was worst. I would say the 2003 U.S Open was the worst since to lose so badly to a 45% Henin at her best slam is embarassing. Given her physical state Henin was a sitting duck for the final, most thought she wouldnt even be able to play. All Kim had to was move her around some and not choke and she would win.

Hurley
Feb 17th, 2012, 09:34 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_D_Z-D2tzi14/THQOP-hACEI/AAAAAAAADgI/p5SVaszOd0Q/S150/pleasestoptakingthatfrommebutton.png

JCTennisFan
Feb 17th, 2012, 09:40 PM
This one is simple. Without a doubt it is the 2003 US Open Final. When a player requires IV Fluids after a match due to severe dehydration less than a day before their Final performance, they should be easy pickings... no matter how great or talented they are.

That Kim couldnt even take that match to three sets proves (atleast in my mind) how mentally blocked she was against Henin at the time.

Though above both In my opinion this slam was Capriati's to win :sobbing: What a scar that was after her defeat. Kim wasnt alot more mentally vindictive against Capriati at the time (as opposed to her mental freeze against Henin) and Id be willing to bet a little money that Kim would of been nervous thinking about the 01 FO F while Capriati would of been hungry to finish off her first US open Title of her career.

Odd how the cookie crumbles sometimes....

alex.2812
Feb 17th, 2012, 10:21 PM
No way Capriati would have won a US Open final when she couldn't even win a semi.
I think 2003 FO one was the worst because it gave Henin the confidence that she could beat Kim on a regular basis which she had failed to prove until then.

Halepsova
Feb 17th, 2012, 10:36 PM
US Open 2003 is just... :help:
But I regret FO 2001 the most because she was so close to win. If she had won it, she might have had a better career.

faboozadoo15
Feb 17th, 2012, 10:46 PM
I thought I remembered Justine playing a really great match At the US Open to beat Kim...

n1_and_uh_noone
Feb 17th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Probably the US Open 2003, simply because it has turned out to be Clijsters' best surface, and she was whoring it up on the US hardcourts already.

However, it definitely didn't help that Justine played really well in the match, nice and aggressive and moving unbelievably given the semifinal she'd just played.

Lord Choc Ice
Feb 17th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Boy was Kim a headcase back then :lol:. It has been said but now that she's facing worse headcases/talents she's now an amazing multiple slam winner :o.

Clijsters28
Feb 17th, 2012, 11:37 PM
This one is simple. Without a doubt it is the 2003 US Open Final. When a player requires IV Fluids after a match due to severe dehydration less than a day before their Final performance, they should be easy pickings... no matter how great or talented they are.

That Kim couldnt even take that match to three sets proves (atleast in my mind) how mentally blocked she was against Henin at the time.

Though above both In my opinion this slam was Capriati's to win :sobbing: What a scar that was after her defeat. Kim wasnt alot more mentally vindictive against Capriati at the time (as opposed to her mental freeze against Henin) and Id be willing to bet a little money that Kim would of been nervous thinking about the 01 FO F while Capriati would of been hungry to finish off her first US open Title of her career.

Odd how the cookie crumbles sometimes....

I could be wrong but I dont think Capriati would have beaten Clijsters in the 2003 U.S Open final. I think if it was Capriati instead of Henin, even a fully abled Capriati vs a dehydrated no legs Henin, Kim would have won. Early on Capriati won alot of close battles with Kim. However in 2003 that changed, Kim won all 3 of their matches, most in 3 sets.

Capriati by 2003 was doing poorly vs the real big guns. Until a small U.S Open warm up event she had lost something like 12 matches in a row to Serena, Venus, Mauresmo, Henin, Clijsters, and Davenport, many times in 3 sets. She still had the game to compete with any of them, but she seemed to be now lacking the extra something to push her to victory. Given that I dont think she would have beaten 2 such top players in a row to win the U.S Open. I never thought it was her US Open to win even with the Williams out when the top 6 had owned her for a year and half at that point. I was surprised and impressed she came as close to taking Henin out as she did. Amazingly I even thought she had a better chance in 2002 with both Williams dominating and present vs 2003 with both out, since atleast in 2002 she seemed to have the edge over everyone else, other than maybe Mauresmo who beat her twice going into the U.S Open, while by the 2003 U.S Open every top player had the edge on her it seemed.

Also Clijsters would never have played such a poor match if it were Capriati instead of Henin. Clijsters by then was spooked by Henin, Henin could have been on the other side of the net playing the piano with one leg cut off, and Clijsters would have found a way to lose probably.

Sam L
Feb 17th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Boy was Kim a headcase back then :lol:. It has been said but now that she's facing worse headcases/talents she's now an amazing multiple slam winner :o.
Opportunist.

Lulu.
Feb 17th, 2012, 11:43 PM
2003 US Open for sure.

dsanders06
Feb 17th, 2012, 11:45 PM

Probably the US Open 2003, simply because it has turned out to be Clijsters' best surface, and she was whoring it up on the US hardcourts already.

Yup.

She exceeded expectations in the '01 RG final just by making it so competitive, and you wouldn't really expect any teenager in that position to close out an epic Grand Slam final against a veteran. RG '03, she was never going to beat Justine in a RG final no matter how mentally tough she was. And AO'04... :shrug: maybe you could argue Kim could've taken that, but it was hardly an out-and-out choke and she competed properly 'til the end.

But her pants-shitting in the USO '03 final was appalling. Even though Justine played a lot better in that match than you'd expect given the circumstances, it still wasn't anything spectacular, and Kim certainly could've topped it if she brought her A-game....but as soon as she saw Justine wasn't going to roll over and hand her the match she pretty much folded.

Clijsters28
Feb 17th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Opportunist.

Atleast she is taking her chance unlike many of the others who are either wasting it or simply not good enough to take advantage of the current crap WTA (such as the pathetic year end #1 of the last 2 years who is so talentless she cant even make a slam final).

justineheninfan
Feb 18th, 2012, 01:27 AM
Some of the comments on this thread are funny. The way some of you talk you would think Henin was in a wheelchair for the 2003 U.S Open final and Tamarine Tanasugarn could have beaten her if she were in the final and didnt choke. I agree it was probably the worst showing for Clijsters in her slam finals all things considered but she wasnt playing an old cripple who could barely walk.

JCTennisFan
Feb 18th, 2012, 08:35 PM
No way Capriati would have won a US Open final when she couldn't even win a semi.
I think 2003 FO one was the worst because it gave Henin the confidence that she could beat Kim on a regular basis which she had failed to prove until then.

Really? I personally think she would have risen to the occasion. She was Undefeated in Slam Finals (3-0) and had beaten Kim (in a grueling yet mentally convincing fashion mind you) in their only Slam F meeting. No doubt if Capriati had beaten Henin she would have been the technical underdog in the Final (What with Kim having such an insane 03 as well as her beating Cap in their recent matchups until that point... not to mention being high ranked as well) although she would have been the overwhelming crowd favorite. The only other SF at the US open Capriati had been to up until that point was a heartbreaker in 91, so getting through to the F would have been an undeniable morale boost to her.

In my mind, Capriati would have been very pumped up mentally and would have been the dictator of the match. If the match had gotten tight more than likely Kim would have choked (something she was much more prone to at the time). In addition to Kim's mental yips Jennifer was someone who could really play above herself when the crowd was boosting her morale and would have fought tooth and nail for the title. Oh well, it didnt end up that way in the end but it suprises me how many Slams Capriati was just a few steps away from winning.

justineheninfan
Feb 18th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Considering Capriati won only 14 tournaments I personally think she did extremely well to win 3 slams. I think it will be a long time before a player who wins so little # of tournaments ever wins that many slams.