PDA

View Full Version : Vika proving herself

silyaunWILLIAMS
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Do you think that Vika has proved herself to be a good number one, judging from her Doha so far?

Mightymirza
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:36 PM
she looks good enough so far.. :shrug: Compared to Ana, Maria etc :tape: :help:

Sammo
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I voted yes, but I thought that you asked if she was playing good or something like that. I mean they're scrubs, she will proof herself when she starts beating Serena and company to win more tournaments, although so far she's doing great.

Chrissie-fan
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I think so, yes. She makes those other players look like scrubs because she plays so good and her confidence only grows with each match she wins. I'm sure she'll still lose some matches (suggestions of a possible Djokovich type of year are over the top in my opinion), but it's nevertheless clear that people now have what they have asked for for years: clarity and two, maybe three players who have seperated themselves from the rest of the field, and all three of them slam champions. Having said that, I wonder how long it will take before those same people will start to complain that womens tennis has become too predictable - just like they do when it comes to mens tennis. But that's a debate for if and when it happens. So yes - Azarenka is proving herself to be a worthy number one.

miffedmax
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:53 PM
It's too soon to tell, even if she wins Doha.

I would say she certainly earned her Number One spot very convincingly. To be a worthy Number One, I'd say she has to hold onto it for a while, and fend off some worthy challengers. Beating a two former slam champs, former #1s, a current #4 and winning a slam to stake your claim is an awfully good start though.

StoneRose
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:55 PM
She will but this tournament doesn't prove that much in itself,

tejmeglekvár
Feb 17th, 2012, 05:00 PM
after 3 match? :spit: at least wait this week ends, or end of Miami. :help:

Break My Rapture
Feb 17th, 2012, 05:14 PM
IW/Miami will be a better indicator for that. Thrashing scrubs is Vika's bread and butter and the only decent to good players she's likely to face in this event are Radwanska/Stosur/Bartoli/Safarova. Although a win over Kvitova in Dubai would mean a lot to her. It's about time she faces her on Vika's supposed best surface instead of Kvitty's habitats.

Chrissie-fan
Feb 17th, 2012, 05:52 PM
She will but this tournament doesn't prove that much in itself,
O, but it does. If she plays as well following her getting to number one as she did to get there it proves that she can handle the increased pressure that is a natural result of being the hunted instead of the hunter. So far she shows no after effects from winning her slam like the other recent slam winners did, and neither is she crumbling like Ivanovic did once she won her slam and got to number one. Azarenka seems to treasure her new status in the game instead of to see it as a burden, and that is very important.

killerqueen
Feb 17th, 2012, 05:55 PM
I think she's proving herself. She's won her last two tournaments including her first slam and looks strong favourite for this one. Her overall record also contains a Miami title, YEC and Madrid finals, a Wimbledon SF, a couple of other titles and hardly any defeats to lowly players. (Excluding Erakovic at Stanford of course)

It's hardly a goat record, but it's a pretty darn good one. It's hard to say she's proved anything new since becoming the number one, because she hasn't really had any major tests yet, but the way she's brushed aside talented B-list players like Wickmayer and Barthel has been pretty encouraging.

n1_and_uh_noone
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:46 PM
It is certainly better that she is not having to play really dangerous players or Slam champions etc., or on her worst surface right after winning her first Slam, like Schiavone or Stosur (not so much though, Kirilenko ain't scaring anyone :lol: ).

Ideally, first-time Slam champions should enter some small event and beat up on scrubs to keep the momentum going.

Talula
Feb 17th, 2012, 07:00 PM
At least she's playing!

duhcity
Feb 17th, 2012, 07:35 PM
after 3 match? :spit: at least wait this week ends, or end of Miami. :help:

She's proved herself better than any of the first time slam winners of the last two years, and all the first time number 1s as well.

As far as recent first time #1s go, only Safina and Caroline can compete in terms of handling the pressure. And we saw what happened to those two after the pressure of not having a slam caught on. Vika won't have that.

young_gunner913
Feb 17th, 2012, 07:49 PM
It's too early to tell. I think Miami will be the real test when hopefully Serena & Kim are back and there's more top players who might be in better shape or performing better.

tejmeglekvár
Feb 17th, 2012, 08:01 PM
She's proved herself better than any of the first time slam winners of the last two years, and all the first time number 1s as well.

As far as recent first time #1s go, only Safina and Caroline can compete in terms of handling the pressure. And we saw what happened to those two after the pressure of not having a slam caught on. Vika won't have that.

I´m not comparing her to the Stosur types, because they had absolutely no dominance compared to Vika. And obviously her situation is way easier than Safina or Woz, because already proved herself.
But even Ivanovic won 2 matches in Wimbledon before JayZ destroyed her. Or Jankovic made R4 at AO´09. Noone knows what will happen after first half of the year.
She is in good position in point and game wise to consolidate herself in that place.

pov
Feb 17th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Do you think that Vika has proved herself to be a good number one, judging from her Doha so far?
I think that whoever is ranked #1 is the person ranked #1. That's all there is to it. There's no such thing as a "good" or "bad" #1.

However Azarenka does seem to have a new measure of confidence, whether that's from being ranked #1, winning the AO or just the increased power her new racket provides is tough to say. I'd guess all those things play a part.

No more grunt-less #1s!!!

silyaunWILLIAMS
Feb 17th, 2012, 09:39 PM
I think that whoever is ranked #1 is the person ranked #1. That's all there is to it. There's no such thing as a "good" or "bad" #1.

However Azarenka does seem to have a new measure of confidence, whether that's from being ranked #1, winning the AO or just the increased power her new racket provides is tough to say. I'd guess all those things play a part.

No more grunt-less #1s!!!

I didn't mean it so simple as that:L I meant that judging from her performance so far, does it show someone who will be a good ambassador for the trour, especially considering, in recent times, many players habits of slumping after winning a Slam:)

duhcity
Feb 17th, 2012, 09:55 PM
I´m not comparing her to the Stosur types, because they had absolutely no dominance compared to Vika. And obviously her situation is way easier than Safina or Woz, because already proved herself.
But even Ivanovic won 2 matches in Wimbledon before JayZ destroyed her. Or Jankovic made R4 at AO´09. Noone knows what will happen after first half of the year.
She is in good position in point and game wise to consolidate herself in that place.

Ivanovic only beat Dechy because of the soft nets at Wimbledon - let that be stated.

I just think it's actually not as outrageous as before to see a #1/New Slam Winner go on a tear for the entire year. Or even win a second slam in one calendar year. She was the oddsmakers favorite at the French without the #1/slam behind her, she'll be contending as long as she doesn't have an epic collapse, and I think in three matches in Doha she has already shown she won't be going that route.