PDA

View Full Version : Can Queen Victoria do the Nole and go on without a loss until Paris?

aguy9797
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Vika's relentlessness and focus are pretty remarkable at the moment.

How long can she go on without losing a match?

Could we have another Djokovic 2011 casus, if she gives herself enough time to rest and stays injury free?

She has won 16 consecutive matches so far this year.

Miracle Worker
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:16 PM
http://i1.celebixy.pl/db930cb0b58dee0882abf9b6bed1b80f33bbd1ea/f041c0eb833f81582c330f65622f6b65-gif?1329491762459

Gilas.
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Totally. The only threats to her run is losing to Serena or SuperNa in Miami. :oh:

Patrick345
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:20 PM
You people are going crazy. Like I said let her win another Slam this year and it is fantastic for womenīs tennis. Until Paris we still have the rest of Doha, Dubai, IW, Miami, Madrid, Rome and Stuttgart. You expect her to win them all, without dropping dead along the way. :eek:

dsanders06
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:21 PM
None of the options.

She'll be Petrafied in the Dubai final next week :smoke:

RenaPova
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:21 PM
I don't think she has the weapons to do this unfortunately. All it takes is someone really inconsistent like Rezai or Hradecka to catch fire to beat her really. I was very impressed at her performance at the Australian Open though, even though she beat one of my faves in the final :fiery:.

And of course if she meets Serena in Miami she is fucked since she will want revenge for the 2009 beating.

nfl46
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:22 PM
You people are going crazy. Like I said let her win another Slam this year and it is fantastic for womenīs tennis. Until Paris we still have the rest of Doha, Dubai, IW, Miami, Madrid, Rome and Stuttgart. You expect her to win them all, without dropping dead along the way. :eek:
This. I don't think any player in women's tennis is physically fit or mentality strong enough to pull off a Novak. At a point in time, Vika is going to say "F it" and purposely lose because she wants a break.

PetraReeMona
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:22 PM
None of the options.

:lol: I like it :hearts:

aguy9797
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:23 PM

I do not think she will have such a great run, but then, nobody thought Djokovic would have done that last year. And he had Federer and Rafa to play with.

She looks great at the moment

Melange
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:27 PM
She wins a few matches and suddenly she is unstoppable?

Excelscior
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:27 PM
The next time/s she plays Petra!!

Azarenka has been fortunate enough in 2012 not to play her the past two tournaments (unlike 2011, where she kept running into Petra during finals and semifinals).

Plus, I don't think Azarenka has the game (or long term personality) to be a dominant #1.

aguy9797
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:29 PM

I think it is 15 won matches at the moment

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:30 PM
is he Simon Reed ??
amazing thread came up about same time as Simon mentioned this in commentary

Rest Maria!
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Petra will save WTA, no doubt about it.

Melange
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:37 PM
I think it is 15 won matches at the moment

exactly :lol:

hERi
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:39 PM
she's just a human..I don't want her to be Kvitova who had been praised too much by people here..I hope she's still underdog champion

aguy9797
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:42 PM
exactly :lol:

You saying 16:0 record in mid February does not look remarkable enough? It is a fair point.

On the other hand, it makes me wonder how long she can be able to carry it on.

aguy9797
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:45 PM
she's just a human..I don't want her to be Kvitova who had been praised too much by people here..I hope she's still underdog champion

I completely agree. My point is however that Djokovic was on a similar run in February last year and nobody thought he could have pulled it off for half a season...but he did

Melange
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:46 PM
2.5 tournaments, its nothing remarkable compared to other great players from previous years, and her game is hardly blowing top players away. its only impressive comparing with the previous no.1. a non-issue at the moment

Melange
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:48 PM
if she takes on Djokovic's training routine that might be worth talking about, instead of carrying her snack bar around in the bag

PetraReeMona
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:50 PM
is he Simon Reed ??

That Simon Reed is really an idiot. He's such a bandwaggoner and usually gets everything wrong, which for a commentator is quite :help:

Do you remember when when Nadal played Verdasco in the SF of the AO and Verdasco played the best match ever? That idiot Simon Reed stated and was adamant that Verdasco was going to win a slam that year and will beat all the top players :rolls:

Patrick345
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:54 PM
That Simon Reed is really an idiot. He's such a bandwaggoner and usually gets everything wrong, which for a commentator is quite :help:

Do you remember when when Nadal played Verdasco in the SF of the AO and Verdasco played the best match ever? That idiot Simon Reed stated and was adamant that Verdasco was going to win a slam that year and will beat all the top players :rolls:

Well if Verdasco wasnīt a mental f***tard he would have won the match and playing like that the title, too. There was nothing wrong with saying that he was going to win a Slam playing like that. But yeah heīs a walking hyperbole.

aguy9797
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:56 PM
if she takes on Djokovic's training routine that might be worth talking about, instead of carrying her snack bar around in the bag

Let me remind you, in 2010 we heard voices that Djokovic is all done and will drop out of Top 5 in no time. He returned in 2011 remarkably changed.

I see a significant change in Vika's attitude and approach to her matches.

Just wondering how long she will be able to maintain this level of play and carry on this momentum.

and, if you think she has not been dominant enough so far this season, then I am not sure how to call her victory over Maria :)

Melange
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:59 PM
i think a fully fit Clijster would have taken her out and then there is no need for this discussion.

aguy9797
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:03 PM
i think a fully fit Clijster would have taken her out and then there is no need for this discussion.

you could be right :)

You never know, but I will be surprised if Vika loses in Doha/Dubai (if she plays there). That should take her run to about 20:0, which as I think is a very nice start for a season.

Will see how strong VIka will be playing in the US, cheers :)

Excelscior
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:04 PM
I completely agree. My point is however that Djokovic was on a similar run in February last year and nobody thought he could have pulled it off for half a season...but he did

But Azarenka doesn't have the game that Djokovic has, though I guess you can compare the two to each other or Andy Murray.

When I look at Azarenka play, I just don't see a dominant tennis player or one with the capabilities. Plus, it's is very early, and things can change in a hurry. We still have 10+ months of tennis to go.

Just look at what happened to Caro from early last year, to the end of year?

We'll see?

Nonetheless, big Congrats to Vika for her excellent year so far!!

Jajaloo
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:04 PM
She's already gone with out a loss until Paris... Indoors that is :oh:

Melange
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:05 PM
if she routines Kvitova in the next event then maybe you can get a little excited

DemiCrayanhan
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:06 PM
honestly, i wish the answer to this was all up to vika. but, players like petra/serena/kim/na/maria/sam have a lot more weapons than her. so a good day by any of those and vika will have to fold i'm afraid. her consistent, error-minimized game has brought her here when everyone else underperformed.

Melange
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Let me remind you, in 2010 we heard voices that Djokovic is all done and will drop out of Top 5 in no time. He returned in 2011 remarkably changed.

I see a significant change in Vika's attitude and approach to her matches.

Just wondering how long she will be able to maintain this level of play and carry on this momentum.

and, if you think she has not been dominant enough so far this season, then I am not sure how to call her victory over Maria :)

source? which idiot said that

Aryman3
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:07 PM
I count on Aga

aguy9797
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:08 PM
I count on Aga

haha...I wish!!! I am all for Aga breaking this run ;)

Excelscior
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:09 PM
honestly, i wish the answer to this was all up to vika. but, players like petra/serena/kim/na/maria/sam have a lot more weapons than her. so a good day by any of those and vika will have to fold i'm afraid. her consistent, error-minimized game has brought her here when everyone else underperformed.

This in a nutshell!!!

Patrick345
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:11 PM
if she routines Kvitova in the next event then maybe you can get a little excited

Kvitova hasnīt beaten a top 20 player on any outdoors hardcourt surface since the 2011 AO. Azarenka will concern herself with Kvitova, when the claycourt season starts. :rolleyes:

Melange
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Kvitova hasnīt beaten a top 20 player on any outdoors hardcourt surface since the 2011 AO. Azarenka will concern herself with Kvitova, when the claycourt season starts. :rolleyes:

lets see what happens :zzz:

mac47
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:18 PM

She routined #21 Ivanovic in Melbourne.

She beat Wozniacki and Cake indoors at Hopman Cup.

So the only reason your statement is true is because it is gerrymandered to within an inch of its life.

Patrick345
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:19 PM

:lol::lol:

Melange
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:24 PM

So the only reason your statement is true is because it is gerrymandered to within an inch of its life.

i wont count beating former players :haha:

faboozadoo15
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:26 PM
I honestly wouldn't be that shocked to see her go undefeated until the clay season. Is there any chance she'll pull out of dubai should she win Doha? That would increase her chances of the IW/Miami double dramatically.

faboozadoo15
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:27 PM

I think most people would say that those players have more weapons than Vika.

DemiCrayanhan
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:30 PM

do you really think vika has more weapons than na/sam/maria/kim? in a well fought match between any one of those and vika, tell me who ends up with more winners?

aguy9797
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:30 PM
I honestly wouldn't be that shocked to see her go undefeated until the clay season. Is there any chance she'll pull out of dubai should she win Doha? That would increase her chances of the IW/Miami double dramatically.

I agree. The likelihood of having a nice 30:0 run in MArch will be considerably high, if she manages to withdraw from Dubai and get some rest.

Excelscior
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:31 PM

Petra beat Dannie Hant (#20) at Sydney. So not only was that poster gerrymandering/wishful thinking/speaking to soon, he/she was also wrong.

And of course she gets no credit for beating Caro and Cake on that slow, high bounce indoor hard court with no air conditioning at Hopman? Okay.

But it's too comical to argue anymore. So I'll leave at that and watch/wait for the tennis that's coming up. That will answer all the questions. Besides other things, playing in the desert in the evening is like practically playing indoors anyway. You see how still the conditions are in Doha (if you wanna go with their meme)?

Do they even realize their own arguments sometimes? SMH. But whatever!

Now I'm sure if Petra didn't make the semifinal of Sydney and the Australian, the poster would of thrown that in as well. You can't win (though her next matches, which are coming up, will decide).

Let them stay pressed though!Lol.

Pump-it-UP
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Depends on how long she can avoid Petra and Serena tbh. Maybe even Wozniacki too if she still hasn't gotten over her mental demons with her.

So no. But I'll be surprised if she goes into Paris with more than 3 losses.

Patrick345
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:44 PM
do you really think vika has more weapons than na/sam/maria/kim? in a well fought match between any one of those and vika, tell me who ends up with more winners?

Tell me in a well fought match between them and Gajdosova, who hits more winners? Gajdosova FTW! :lol:

I can tell you though that Azarenka has a 17-15 record against Stosur, Sharapova, Clijsters, Na Li and Kvitova beating each of them a minimum of two times.

The only power player that dominates the H2H with Azarenka is Serena Williams, the best player of the last 15 years.

Vikapower
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:44 PM

This is complete bullshit. :lol:

Guess what though, tennis includes physiological factors who alters your so called beautiful theory of the weapon stuff, Einstein -- and your weapons serves less without a mental game, a fit body etc...

Another thing how did you determine they had more weapons ? How did you quantify that ? What is the metric to determine that a player has more weapons than another ? If they exist probably you should post a more furnished post than just that simplistic statement on weapon-less Vika.

I know you're new poster and just getting accustomed to tennis but Vika owns Sammy 5-0 -- where has all the Australian's weapons gone when she faces weapon-less Vika huh ? :lol:

Vika owned Li 2 consecutive times ? Say what, a good day of Li ? Since when Li has good days outside Australia ? That very extremely mediocre inferior version of Petra should not even be put in the same sentence as the Czech.

Nice try. :yeah:

DemiCrayanhan
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:47 PM
^ wow, i must have hit a nerve. should i have added "in my opinion" to my statement? keep calm and trust vika if you wish.

Break My Rapture
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Probably not. Vika is most likely going to keel over from exhaustion pretty soon, possibly even next week already. Most important thing for her right now is to stay healthy so that injuries can't break her momentum. I don't think she has much competition in IW/Miami though, if I'm honest.

Fighterpova
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:49 PM
She will win Doha, that is more than obvious right now and probably Dubai too.
She'll lose in either IW/Miami.

goldenlox
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:54 PM
I think she has a good chance to hold #1 for this whole time period. Its a great start to the year, but she won 2 tournaments in a row. Its a long way from a 6 month winning streak

C. Drone
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:56 PM
competition doesnt look really great until grass, so it really depends on her schedule and body how she does.
Her main rivals on regular tour events sould be KvittyGOAT, Peak Woz and Peak Na. A normal Kvitty isnt that harmful on hard, Woz in slump and Na is AWOL, part time players doesnt count and the rest is just her bitch already... so yeah, I say it sadly, she can.

Vikapower
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:58 PM
^ wow, i must have hit a nerve. should i have added "in my opinion" to my statement? keep calm and trust vika if you wish.

tell me who ends up with more winners?

No problems with me on my side and I'm pretty much calm but your very subjective opinion which does not corroborate the DATA is just scary.

You're living in a total fallacy if you believe that 'winners' is the metric to determine if a player has more weapons than another.

To another poser :

i think a fully fit Clijster

When trying to say something rational it important to not put words that re-transcripts 'hypothesis'. The simple fact of that and the fact that you're not God makes your statement instable -- but we fans are good at acting like we know everything and the possible outcome of every match.

Descartes : important to have a systemic doubt and don't feel so overconfident on things where the outcome is dependent of a lot factors no one here has control over. I guess.

Gdsimmons
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I like Azarenka but lets not kid ourselves. She is nothing like Djokovic. At all. Djokovic last year was better than EVERYONE on the ATP. And he beat all the top players multiple times each. Victoria on the other hand has benefited from some pretty easy cakewalk draws this year. And like someone mentioned earlier there are just players that you know if they come out firing and hitting their shots, they will beat her, and beat her pretty easily.

StoneRose
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:07 PM
You're living in a total fallacy if you believe that 'winners' is the metric to determine if a player has more weapons than another.
Absolutely. I don't think Vika will stay undefeated until clay, too many tournaments with strong opponents ahead. Fair chance she'll make it too the US tourneys undefeated though.

flareon
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:08 PM
I do not think so the womens game is open, I think a williams or a fully fit clijsters will beat her maybe even princess caroline...

Craig.
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:15 PM
I like Azarenka but lets not kid ourselves. She is nothing like Djokovic. At all. Djokovic last year was better than EVERYONE on the ATP. And he beat all the top players multiple times each. Victoria on the other hand has benefited from some pretty easy cakewalk draws this year. And like someone mentioned earlier there are just players that you know if they come out firing and hitting their shots, they will beat her, and beat her pretty easily.

I don't like Azarenka at all but Radwanska, Clijsters, Sharapova in a Slam = cakewalk?

aguy9797
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:17 PM

OK, I agree. Nole beat all those great players. The point is however that nobody anticipated back in February 2011 that he will go on such amazing run and beat Nadal on clay. It is certainly easy to say retroactively that Nole had a great year because he beat Nadal and Federer several times.

Vika has shown some good form so far. Her win over Maria (world # 2) was a massacre, and we all agree on that.

Isn't Vika a favorite to win IW/Miami? I would think so and that can take her winning streak to 5 tournaments (I hope she skips Dubai) and 30:0 run.

Is it going to happen? Hmmm...If she stays healthy, I think there is a medium low probability it could happen.

Break My Rapture
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:18 PM
She will win Doha, that is more than obvious right now and probably Dubai too.
She'll lose in either IW/Miami.
Who is she going to lose to in IW/Miami with this current field and granted Azarenka stays healthy? :lol:
I think Vika is bagging that double unless Serena shows a major turn-around in form.

sweetadri06
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:19 PM
I don't like Azarenka at all but Radwanska, Clijsters, Sharapova in a Slam = cakewalk?

:angel:

Break My Rapture
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Plus Clijsters is one of the biggest nightmare match-ups existent on Tour for Azarenka. Beating Li on her best surface in Sydney is pretty huge win as well.

aguy9797
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:24 PM
lets see what happens :zzz:

OK then, let's discuss really relevant tennis issues like who has the biggest boobs, or whose BF is the hottest....just kidding ;)

dsanders06
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Depends on how long she can avoid Petra and Serena tbh. Maybe even Wozniacki too if she still hasn't gotten over her mental demons with her.

competition doesnt look really great until grass, so it really depends on her schedule and body how she does.
Her main rivals on regular tour events sould be KvittyGOAT, Peak Woz and Peak Na. A normal Kvitty isnt that harmful on hard, Woz in slump and Na is AWOL, part time players doesnt count and the rest is just her bitch already... so yeah, I say it sadly, she can.

:happy: Oh the Woztards.

Break My Rapture
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:28 PM

Kvitova is definitely beatable for Azarenka on US and these Middle Eastern hardcourts. It gets a lot tougher on the red grass of Madrid, Wimbledon and indoors.

aguy9797
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:32 PM
is he Simon Reed ??

Do not know who Simon Reed is, but I somehow sense you did not mean it as a compliment ;)

Patrick345
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:34 PM

Donīt forget Sydney against Bartoli, Radwanska and Na Li. Very easy, too. :lol:

Itīs a bit much right now for some Kvitova fans, who have had their noses in the air since November in great anticipation of her ascendency to the top in early 2012. Instead Kvitova fell to #3 in the world, lost to Sharapova and has watched the pusher Azarenka step into the spotlight.

dsanders06
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Kvitova is definitely beatable for Azarenka on US and these Middle Eastern hardcourts. It gets a lot tougher on the red grass of Madrid, Wimbledon and indoors.

If they were playing in Doha then I think Azarenka would've beaten her, but Dubai plays a fair bit quicker iirc (tbh that's probably the reason why Petra skipped Doha in favour of Dubai despite Doha being supposedly the bigger tournament), so if they do play next week, I'd give a slight edge to Petra.

Clay I'd give the edge to Azarenka.

C. Drone
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:40 PM

:kiss:

s teddy
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:44 PM

I actually have to agree with them on this one. Wozniacki, at her best, is perhaps the worst possible match-up for Azarenka. Of course, that's somewhat irrelevant now, as Wozniacki is currently in a huge slump.

C. Drone
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Who is she going to lose to in IW/Miami with this current field and granted Azarenka stays healthy? :lol:
I think Vika is bagging that double unless Serena shows a major turn-around in form.

Yup. I really-really want to find somebody, but unless someone totally random turns into GOAT mode against her, there is nobody who looks good enough right now. MiamiRena is a very different thing, plus Vika could be tired there, but the rest...

Break My Rapture
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:45 PM
If they were playing in Doha then I think Azarenka would've beaten her, but Dubai plays a fair bit quicker iirc (tbh that's probably the reason why Petra skipped Doha in favour of Dubai despite Doha being supposedly the bigger tournament), so if they do play next week, I'd give a slight edge to Petra.

Kvitova dislikes these courts, she lost to a player like Morita in Dubai last year. Kvitova, in general, is a tad weaker on hardcourts than on the other surfaces.

If the clay is drowned in sunlight which was the case pretty much throughout RG last year, Kvitova is definitely the favorite to win against Azarenka, her strokes don't lose their penetration and she can move adequately. When the surface is swampy and sluggish I'd give the edge to Azarenka.

sweetadri06
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:46 PM

Players like Woz/Radwanska do give her trouble though. Maybe not now though becuase Woz is playing like shit at the moment.

Melange
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Donīt forget Sydney against Bartoli, Radwanska and Na Li. Very easy, too. :lol:

Itīs a bit much right now for some Kvitova fans, who have had their noses in the air since November in great anticipation of her ascendency to the top in early 2012. Instead Kvitova fell to #3 in the world, lost to Sharapova and has watched the pusher Azarenka step into the spotlight.

if you have a look at the one who said it was a cakewalk its an obvious fool and not Kvitova fan

Vikapower
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:48 PM
I like Azarenka but lets not kid ourselves. She is nothing like Djokovic. At all. Djokovic last year was better than EVERYONE on the ATP. And he beat all the top players multiple times each. Victoria on the other hand has benefited from some pretty easy cakewalk draws this year.

Djokovic fan and you're that short minded ? :lol:

When Djokovic started his streak I can CLEARLY remember people screaming all over the place he didn't beat Nadal, wasn't beating Nadal, was only defeating scrubs too which even certain Federer fans categorized their Swiss as one just to make a point for their cause that Djokovic was a fluke, fraud... where we're at now ? :lol:

Is Petra that Nadal ? :eek: Should be interesting in the future... the next surfaces to come are : Decoturf II = Medium, Plexipave IW = Medium slow/super slow (more because of balls used) and LayKold = medium slow. Petra or Vika ? Petra or Vika ? Make your choice. :smoke:

And like someone mentioned earlier there are just players that you know if they come out firing and hitting their shots, they will beat her, and beat her pretty easily.

You seem SO SO sure of yourself that I would put a million dollars on just that statement knowing that I will win double, triple, quadruple... :eek:

The parallel between him and Victoria comes even up to that very statement -- Is this similar to the Djokovic can't beat Nadal on clay, fast clay, slow clay, real clay ? -- where we are at now ? :eek:

That's what you failed to mentioned genius. Observe the same thing is happening there.

If Djokovic and by extent Victoria who seems to be going through the same situation right now had listened or was listening to the theories of the 2c illuminated couch experts, they'd be retired and done right now. Keep it up Schopenhauer.

As for now Vika, she does what she has to do, amassing money, big confidence and ranking points -- she's confident and will have all time in the world to worry about her in theory bad match ups just like Djokovic had all the time to amass confidence to erase Nadal in IW and Miami.

C. Drone
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:58 PM
I actually have to agree with them on this one. Wozniacki, at her best, is perhaps the worst possible match-up for Azarenka. Of course, that's somewhat irrelevant now, as Wozniacki is currently in a huge slump.

Extreme offense and defense is her worst match ups. Best she does is grinding, but cant grind when someone hits off the court, and grinding doesnt work so well against defense.
I think Kvitova is worse, but only on fast surfaces. Peak Woz can make Azarenka suffer a lot too, and their matches would be close on every surface.

dsanders06
Feb 17th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Extreme offense and defense is her worst match ups. Best she does is grinding, but cant grind when someone hits off the court, and grinding doesnt work so well against defense.
I think Kvitova is worse, but only on fast surfaces. Peak Woz can make Azarenka suffer a lot too, and their matches would be close on every surface.

Then how come peak Woz only barely scraped past well-below-her-peak Azarenka at the YEC in 09 and Tokyo in '10? :confused:

Woz is actually pretty much the dream match-up for Azarenka... Aza's actually got no problems applying power when she's getting soft pace from her opponent, it's her relative inability to absorb/handle fast pace from her opponents that has hindered her against the likes of Petra, Serena, Li, etc. There's a reason Woz was Azarenka's bitch prior to late 2009 and Woz's peak form.

Of course, it's not like we're going to see it anytime soon because Wozniacki is probably not going to get far enough in a draw to play her for a long time.

Stonerpova
Feb 17th, 2012, 05:02 PM
If she goes undefeated through Miami I'll eat my laptop.

C. Drone
Feb 17th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Then how come peak Woz only barely scraped past well-below-her-peak Azarenka at the YEC in 09 and Tokyo in '10? :confused:

Woz is actually pretty much the dream match-up for Azarenka... Aza's actually got no problems applying power when she's getting soft pace from her opponent, it's her relative inability to absorb/handle fast pace from her opponents that has hindered her against the likes of Petra, Serena, Li, etc. There's a reason Woz was Azarenka's bitch prior to late 2009 and Woz's peak form.

Of course, it's not like we're going to see it anytime soon because Wozniacki is probably not going to get far enough in a draw to play her for a long time.

:lol:

Linguae^
Feb 17th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Well, as much as I hate her, she is doing a great job and her attitude towards tennis is perfect. She is just playing it, has a game, doesn't intimidate herself with some nonsense, goes for her career and looks like a player both on and off court, unlike some others. I really see her uprising similar to Novak's last year, but I hope her dream doesn't come true.

centipede
Feb 17th, 2012, 05:13 PM
She's doing a good job at being consistent and being a pusher. Her winning streak will end when she plays Serena/Wozniacki/Kvitova. Those are the three that give her the most trouble. She's lost to Petra the last 4 times. Lol the last time she won was 2010 aussie open.

Petronius
Feb 17th, 2012, 05:26 PM

You must be extremely rich now, as you undoubtedly went against all the bookmakers around the world who had Petra as the betting favorite for the most recent OUTDOOR HARDCOURT slam.

Why bother posting in this forum instead of hitting the road with one of your twenty Ferraris ?

Setsuna.
Feb 17th, 2012, 05:27 PM
No, she can't.

madmax
Feb 17th, 2012, 05:34 PM
I don't think she's as good as Joker is relative to their peers, but she is very consistent and has some similar traits to him - both have cracking backhands and rely on relentless grinding to wear down opponents. I'm just not convinced with her game on natural surfaces, where her lack of power against biggest hitters really shows. She also has a tendency to overhit/start missing against other elite defenders, when her regular game seems to be not sufficient...we'll see I guess

Mistress of Evil
Feb 17th, 2012, 05:37 PM
There is a tiny factor here - fitness, health. :scratch: Azarenka's body has a history of falling apart, is she to win so many matches there will come a point where she will completely burn out. :shrug: She cannot pull a Nola a la 2011, she might go undefeated till Miami, though.

Break My Rapture
Feb 17th, 2012, 05:42 PM
You must be extremely rich now, as you undoubtedly went against all the bookmakers around the world who had Petra as the betting favorite for the most recent OUTDOOR HARDCOURT slam.

Why bother posting in this forum instead of hitting the road with one of your twenty Ferraris ?
Relying on bookmaker odds. :lol: She didn't reach the final and for all the talk about Azarenka's cakewalk draw, Kvitova's highest ranked opponent up until the semis was #22 Ivanovic. (FYI that's even worse than one of the most criticised runs in Slams as of late - Sharapova in Wimbledon 2011.) In the meantime Azarenka had beaten a top 10 player to reach the semifinals.

Kvitova is not as good on outdoor hardcourt as on other surfaces. That's really not rocket science.

améliemomo
Feb 17th, 2012, 05:47 PM
she has nothing to be compared with Djokovic. Djokovic is competing with legends such as Federer and Nadal

Azarenka is very consistent but she's not the best player in the world, she still has many weaknesses

give her a very agressive player who doesnt let her time to organize and she'll explode. Too bad Kvitova is injured, Serena not playing and Kim not ready.

Break My Rapture
Feb 17th, 2012, 05:50 PM
she has nothing to be compared with Djokovic. Djokovic is competing with legends such as Federer and Nadal

Azarenka is very consistent but she's not the best player in the world, she still has many weaknesses

give her a very agressive player who doesnt let her time to organize and she'll explode. Too bad Kvitova is injured, Serena not playing and Kim not ready.
There is no one else in better form than Azarenka right now. Kvitova has to deal with her weaker surfaces this time of year, Serena lost a set to Yakimova just a week ago and bombed out in straights to Makarova at the AO, Kim doesn't have the motivation to play and her current form is only cutting it against scrubs and Wozniacki.

Azarenka IS the best player right now.

Petronius
Feb 17th, 2012, 05:51 PM

19qEqVGk--M

Excelscior
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:00 PM
I think the odds are more likely Azarenka will retire in a match before the French, than go undefeated before it.

But no I don't think she can (go undefeated) for many of the reasons I and many others listed here.

She's a good consistent player. But her game doesn't excite me (or put any fear in the other players). Like Wozniaki, she'd have to be very fortunate dodging certain hot players for that to happen. But she's good!

I don't expect her to play Dubai. But if she does, and faces Kvitova in the finals, I think she'll lose.

Congrats to her already though!! It's a looooooong season.

C. Drone
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:02 PM

19qEqVGk--M

its about time to paint it blue, only similar thing to clay there is the sliding.

young_gunner913
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Dead at this hype.

http://im.rediff.com/sports/2010/sep/02sld5.jpg

Vikapower
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Dead at this hype.

You really think you have a word into this [...] Victoria does what Serena was unable to when she won her first major who went into a 2 year slump that's the only reason explaining your presence but that is obviously another debate I guess.

Yes but that's one match and it is scientifically impossible to make an ex cathedra out of just one phenomenon alone your argument then becomes unstable. My opinion it's 50-50 on clay until both girls face sufficient amount of times to enunciate something relevant.

young_gunner913
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:16 PM
You really think you have a word into this [...] Victoria does what Serena was unable to when she won her first major who went into a 2 year slump that's the only reason explaining your presence but that is obviously another debate I guess.

Call me when Victoria does something about that H2H with Serena. :lol: Oh yeah and Serena won her first slam at 17. :wavey:

sweetadri06
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:17 PM

Serena won her first slam at 17, there is no comparison. They are two different people.

Matt01
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:22 PM

She is not? Then who is it? :confused:

Kim looked quite ready to me at AO and she still lost to Vika.
And Vika has already shown that she can compete with Serena.

She's a good consistent player. But her game doesn't excite me (or put any fear in the other players).

Yeah, we all know whose ugly ballbashing does excite you :tape:

Ryan
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Vika doesn't need to be compared to Novak. :shrug: If she wins Doha and has a decent showing in Dubai, I think its HUGE for her confidence going through the rest of the year. She's a capable claycourter, and if she stays healthy she has a shot at RG - more important than winning some other tourneys along the way.

Break My Rapture
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Call me when Victoria does something about that H2H with Serena. :lol:
Even if Azarenka would get another win off Williams, Serena fans would just brush it off as another fluke - just like they did with Miami final win. :lol: Pointless argument.

Vikapower
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Call me when Victoria does something about that H2H with Serena. :lol:

All of these matches were played in Vika's prime and you're the last person to come and boast when even prime Victoria is the worst match up Serena can ever meet -- 6-4 2-4 and 6-4 4-0. You can not be so certain that peak Vika would necessarily lose to Serena that's the only axis you need to remember.

A H2h is nothing because it does not take into consideration the psychological, mental etc... neither the form etc... Victoria is not the same player she was ago -- you'll have time see that. ;)

Serena won her first slam at 17, there is no comparison. They are two different people.

Oh yeah and Serena won her first slam at 17. :wavey:

What does the age factor have to do with anything ? :lol: Your arguments does not hold for the simple fact that Stosur, Li etc... won their first majors at over 25 in the so called 'mature' stage of their career and still went on slumping. Explanations ? :lol:

The fact that Serena won her first major at 17 does not excuse that 2 year slump not that you all will recognize it but oh well.

Excelscior
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:33 PM

Agreed.

I was thinking the same thing.

Plus the year has just started. There's a lot of tennis to be played and anything can happen. Vika's not out the woods yet.

Wozniaki won most of her events in the first four months of the season last year, and we saw/seen what happened to her.

young_gunner913
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Even if Azarenka would get another win off Williams, Serena fans would just brush it off as another fluke - just like they did with Miami final win. :lol: Pointless argument.

Serena was injured in Miami but Vika still won the match. The only think that makes it look like a fluke is the fact she's never been able to beat her again after that. She came close once and it ended with her getting an ass whooping. So you may have a seat, speak when you're spoken too and keep doing whatever voodoo dances you need to, so that Vika is not in Serena's draws because as illustrated not once but twice last summer, Serena doesn't need to be in peak performance mode to brush Vika aside like a nothing.

sweetadri06
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:36 PM
All of these matches were played in Vika's prime and you're the last person to come and boast when even prime Victoria is the worst match up Serena can ever meet -- 6-4 2-4 and 6-4 4-0. You can not be so certain that peak Vika would necessarily lose to Serena that's the only axis you need to remember.

A H2h is nothing because it does not take into consideration the psychological, mental etc... neither the form etc... Victoria is not the same player she was ago -- you'll have time see that. ;)

What does the age factor have to do with anything ? :lol: Your arguments does not hold for the simple fact that Stosur, Li etc... won their first majors at over 25 in the so called 'mature' stage of their career and still went on slumping. Explanations ? :lol:

The fact that Serena won her first major at 17 does not excuse that 2 year slump not that you all will recognize it but oh well.

The age factor matters because they are both at different stages. Vika is more experienced now and been a top player for a while before she finally won her first slam this year. A better comparison would be Justine. You fail to recognize that.

Petronius
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Relying on bookmaker odds. :lol: She didn't reach the final and for all the talk about Azarenka's cakewalk draw, Kvitova's highest ranked opponent up until the semis was #22 Ivanovic. (FYI that's even worse than one of the most criticised runs in Slams as of late - Sharapova in Wimbledon 2011.) In the meantime Azarenka had beaten a top 10 player to reach the semifinals.

Kvitova is not as good on outdoor hardcourt as on other surfaces. That's really not rocket science.

LOL, another TF poster-turned-billionaire since late January. Unlike you or me, those guys had hundreds of millions of $$$ at stake and employ scores of tennis experts. If they had followed this Tennis Forum and then put e.g. 100-1 betting odds on Petra - who will allegedly forever suck on outdoor hardcourts - how would they have felt during Maria's desperate Hawk-Eye challenge at 4*-4, 0-30 in the third set ? Probably not very good, to put it mildly.

If anything was a surprise, it was Viktoria Azarenka's title in Melbourne, just look up the thread "Is Azarenka an Australian Open Contender Now?"

young_gunner913
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:38 PM

A H2h is nothing because it does not take into consideration the psychological, mental etc... neither the form etc... Victoria is not the same player she was ago -- you'll have time see that. ;

You were saying the same shit to me last summer during Toronto and Serena stomped Vika's ass. :lol:

Then she beat her again at the U.S Open. :rolls:

Stay mad.

Break My Rapture
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Serena was injured in Miami but Vika still won the match. The only think that makes it look like a fluke is the fact she's never been able to beat her again after that. She came close once and it ended with her getting an ass whooping. So you may have a seat, speak when you're spoken too and keep doing whatever voodoo dances you need to, so that Vika is not in Serena's draws because as illustrated not once but twice last summer, Serena doesn't need to be in peak performance mode to brush Vika aside like a nothing.
It doesn't matter. If Azarenka had closed out Williams in AO '10, Serena fans would have just said she was hampered by her strapped thigh.

Matt01
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:40 PM

So much arrogance. Trying to copy your fave, eh? :rolleyes:

Excelscior
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:41 PM
From Matt01
Yeah, we all know whose ugly ballbashing does excite you

Ahem.

There are a lot of people who feel that Vika has a unexciting game. Not just me. Do you even pay attention?

And as far as that unnamed player, I think you mentioned? It's funny. That player actually has more effective variety, weapons, shots and talent than Vika does (with all due respect and love to the talented Azarenka).

So what's your point? :eek: :confused: :eek:

Break My Rapture
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:43 PM
LOL, another TF poster-turned-billionaire since late January. Unlike you or me, those guys had hundreds of millions of $$$ at stake and employ scores of tennis experts. If they had followed this Tennis Forum and then put e.g. 100-1 betting odds on Petra - who will allegedly forever suck on outdoor hardcourts - how would they have felt during Maria's desperate Hawk-Eye challenge at 4*-4, 0-30 in the third set ? Probably not very good, to put it mildly.

If anything was a surprise, it was Viktoria Azarenka's title in Melbourne, just look up the thread "Is Azarenka an Australian Open Contender Now?"
:lol: Basing yourself on bookie odds still is and will always be superficial. The so called tennis experts bookies base themselves on are probably the ones on Tennis Channel and other media who continually end up failing with their picks. Bookies just choose the #1 player and the players who most recently won a slam(s) as their picks. Which is only natural as there is money at stake, so they choose the safest options. But bookies hardly have any insight at all.

young_gunner913
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:44 PM
It doesn't matter. If Azarenka had closed out Williams in AO '10, Serena fans would have just said she was hampered by her strapped thigh.

If your mother had balls, she'd be your father.

The fact of the matter is, she didn't. She was taking it to Serena real good before Serena took it to another level and started beating Vika like she stole something. Nothing to be ashamed of, she got out classed. Hell, the match made me respect Vika a little more. Though this GM hype is getting out of control.

Matt01
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:45 PM
And as far as that unnamed player, I think you mentioned? It's funny. That player actually has more effective variety, weapons, shots and talent than Vika does.

So what's your point? :eek: :confused: :eek:

And still Azarenka is the current #1, has just won a Slam and is undefeated since 13 matches while your overrated fave is dropping in the rankings.

So what's your point? :D

Halepsova
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Silly question. You know how much she loves retirements. :lol:

Excelscior
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:48 PM
And still Azarenka is the current #1, has just won a Slam and is undefeated since 13 matches while your overrated fave is dropping in the rankings.

So what's your point? :D

My response was regarding your question of talent and the aesthetics of who/what I supposedly like.

Your current question has nothing to do with that prior statement. :confused: :tape: :confused:

I hope that helps.

Enjoy the tennis season. Oh. I forgot, you're a Wozniaki fan. Oops! :lol: :tape: :lol:

Break My Rapture
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:49 PM
If your mother had balls, she'd be your father.
WHAT? :hysteric: How random.

The fact of the matter is, she didn't. She was taking it to Serena real good before Serena took it to another level and started beating Vika like she stole something. Nothing to be ashamed of, she got out classed. Hell, the match made me respect Vika a little more. Though this GM hype is getting out of control.
True, I never said that wasn't the case. I'm just saying that reversing (or better said, improving) the H2H with Serena wouldn't make a difference. It's pointless to say that IMO as Serena fans brush off every loss with whatever reason more often that not. I don't think there is that many hype though, these threads only exist because she hasn't lost yet this season and she's bound to lose a match at one point. I don't think it has that much to do with hype and people actually believing she can repeat Djokovic's feat.

C. Drone
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:49 PM

most of those odds often determined by mathematical functions with two major variables, number of bets and amount of money.
Of course that indirectly means bettors thought Kvitty is the favorite, but those often not the smartest bunch either.

young_gunner913
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:53 PM

Just showing what if's are stupid. :shrug:

True, I never said that wasn't the case. I'm just saying that reversing (or better said, improving) the H2H with Serena wouldn't make a difference. It's pointless to say that IMO as Serena fans brush off every loss with whatever reason more often that not. I don't think there is that many hype though, these threads only exist because she hasn't lost yet this season and she's bound to lose a match at one point. I don't think it has that much to do with hype and people actually believing she can repeat Djokovic's feat.

Every fan base does it. The other day Sharapova fans were brushing off the loss to Kerber and some were saying she wasn't gonna do shit and lose the next round and bitch wound up winning the title. :lol: And yes, there is tons of hype, it's getting to the Kvitova off-season level of annoying, not quite there yet, but Vikapower will push it there and you will have him to thank when droves of people start throwing parades after she loses. :lol: Djokovic's feat was amazing but let's get real, there's more players who can take Vika out compared to who could take Novak out.

Vikapower
The age factor matters because they are both at different stages. Vika is more experienced now and been a top player for a while before she finally won her first slam this year. A better comparison would be Justine. You fail to recognize that.

I do understand where you want to go but,

The age factor does hold strong since you opposed no arguments to the fact that players as mature as Li Na, Samantha Stosur etc... were when they won their first majors, they still went in a slump. :confused:

You were saying the same shit to me last summer during Toronto and Serena stomped Vika's ass. :lol:

Then she beat her again at the U.S Open. :rolls:

Stay mad.

:rolleyes: Because Vika had a major, YEC F etc...

Vika's prime ends roughly around Luxembourg, from there she really started raising the tune and Serena has still not faced Victoria during that period of time and it's still the case. 'Pre-peak' Vika, better mentality, controlled her emotions better... in Australia though I'm not convinced this was her real peak there showed all the arsenal of things she can do or re-do because having more control over herself -- also Serena has not faced also her new serve.

Serena has had the luck to face Victoria's best 2 times in AO and every time the American was in total difficulty, Vika is not the same player anymore -- that's facts and you're the mad one who can't include them.

Matt01
My response was regarding your question of talent and the aesthetics of who/what I supposedly like.

Your current question has nothing to do with that prior statement. :confused: :tape: :confused:

I hope that helps.

Enjoy the tennis season. Oh. I forgot, you're a Wozniaki fan. Oops! :lol: :tape: :lol:

I don't remember saying anything about talent in this thread.

And I'm not a Woznacki fan so you are wrong again.

TheHangover
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:54 PM
she will loose to serena in miami

sweetadri06
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:56 PM

Vika and Serena's matches are usually competitive, but Serena will win them more often than not and it's the similar case with Petra. Vika can't out hit the big hitters. This is a fact that everyone knows. She is a good and consistent player and the best player at the moment though. ;)

Matt01
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:57 PM
she will loose to serena in miami

lose

young_gunner913
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:58 PM
:rolleyes: Because Vika had a major, YEC F etc...

Vika's prime ends roughly around Luxembourg, from there she really started raising the tune and Serena has still not faced Victoria during that period of time and it's still the case. 'Pre-peak' Vika, better mentality, controlled her emotions better... in Australia though I'm not convinced this was her real peak there showed all the arsenal of things she can do or re-do because having more control over herself -- also Serena has not faced also her new serve.

Serena has had the luck to face Victoria's best 2 times in AO and every time the American was in total difficulty, Vika is not the same player anymore -- that's facts and you're the mad one who can't include them.

:yawn::yawn::yawn:

Same old shit. I don't know who you're trying to make believe that Vika can beat Serena, me or yourself?

Break My Rapture
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Every fan base does it. The other day Sharapova fans were brushing off the loss to Kerber and some were saying she wasn't gonna do shit and lose the next round and bitch wound up winning the title. :lol:
That's because Mashabators are still bitter about what happened a couple of weeks ago. Slam final beatdowns leave scars if you're a fan of the losing players and dislike the winner (which was the case after Azarenka previously beat Sharapova in the Miami final). The thing is, I just thought it was pointless to bring up the H2H discussion. Regardless of the fan base. :shrug:

Matt01
Feb 17th, 2012, 07:00 PM

Same old shit. I don't know who you're trying to make believe that Vika can beat Serena, me or yourself?

Are you seriously disputing that? :lol:

young_gunner913
Feb 17th, 2012, 07:04 PM
That's because Mashabators are still bitter about what happened a couple of weeks ago. Slam final beatdowns leave scars if you're a fan of the losing players and dislike the winner (which was the case after Azarenka previously beat Sharapova in the Miami final). The thing is, I just thought it was pointless to bring up the H2H discussion. Regardless of the fan base. :shrug:

Yeah, because it's 1-6. If it was closer or she had at least 3 wins, we'd never hear the end of it.

evana
Feb 17th, 2012, 07:07 PM

if Makarova can beat Serena, Vika can do it too :wavey: :rolleyes:

Vikapower
Feb 17th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Are you seriously disputing that? :lol:

Disputing what :confused: I never claimed anything but Young Gunner and haters like you are certain Victoria will take a beat down for sure when even in her prime years Vika was a nightmare for Serena even if it generally didn't last long -- a set.

You have no arguments anyways when you try to make me believe that Victoria has not progressed. Her serve is better, she believes in herself more, doesn't sink into herself in big matches, controls her emotions -- and with confidence many technical/strategical little things she perceived to be insurmountable will sink in and Serena will have a total new different player by the time. Facts. :rolleyes:

Victoria after 2009 lost her innocence and didn't have the I will win, I know I can win and there's no other way attitude -- Vika used to come timid timid and generally in most of her big matches she would take a 5-0, 6-0 before waking up and realizing hey, --.

In AO against Clijsters Victoria signified to Clijsters she was there to win not just play one set and fade, watch the start of the match -- Serena will have all her time to understand that too when she'll lost to her.

madmax
Feb 17th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Yeah, because it's 1-6. If it was closer or she had at least 3 wins, we'd never hear the end of it.

not a Vika fan here, but your fave has benefitted from quite a few lackluster and choking performances from Azarenka so far in her career...so I wouldn't be so arrogant seeing as how Vika improved and that other player is declining badly.:wavey:

young_gunner913
Feb 17th, 2012, 07:12 PM
not a Vika fan here, but your fave has benefitted from quite a few lackluster and choking performances from Azarenka so far in her career...so I wouldn't be so arrogant seeing as how Vika improved and that other player is declining badly.:wavey:

Beat her back to back times just last summer. Not scared of anything. The same with Martha. :cool:

Matt01
Feb 17th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Disputing what :confused:

I didn't ask you.
I asked young_gunner but he isn't man enough to reply to me :p

Vikapower
Feb 17th, 2012, 07:18 PM
^^ Oh ok :lol: didn't get the sense -- ;)

---

Seriously Young Gunner no understanding about periods in tennis -- all Victoria's are Victoria's to you but continue living in your care bear world where Serena is Queen -- these back to back losses are totally insignificant since they are longtime before anything Victoria is doing right now which could be considered as her peak. You obviously and voluntarily fail to see that. Completely delusional. Unbelievable.

Charlatan
Feb 17th, 2012, 07:19 PM
None of the options.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Petronius
Feb 17th, 2012, 07:29 PM
:lol: Basing yourself on bookie odds still is and will always be superficial. The so called tennis experts bookies base themselves on are probably the ones on Tennis Channel and other media who continually end up failing with their picks. Bookies just choose the #1 player and the players who most recently won a slam(s) as their picks. Which is only natural as there is money at stake, so they choose the safest options. But bookies hardly have any insight at all.

Please please please, share your insight here so I can go against bookies, who will win the remaining WTA tournaments scheduled for this year ?

I want this

http://www.almiyachts.com/luxury-boats/img/luxury_boats_mega.jpg

and this

http://blog.purentonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/learjet-85-luxury-exterior-02.jpg

TheHangover
Feb 17th, 2012, 07:35 PM
lose

no loose, like melt

Ivanovic2008
Feb 17th, 2012, 08:07 PM

Is 16 matches, a GS and the number 1 ranking a small thing??? No but I don't she has the mentality to stick it out until Paris.

faboozadoo15
Feb 17th, 2012, 08:10 PM
What does Serena have to do with this? She's getting pwn'd by Makarova, dropping sets to Yakimova, and certainly not playing until Miami... There's a slight chance Vika and Serena may meet up in Miami, but it's unlikely due to the draws. Then it's the claycourt season...

faboozadoo15
Feb 17th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Also didn't Djokovic give a walkover or 2 last season? I think that would put an asterisk next to any streak...

Setsuna.
Feb 17th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Also didn't Djokovic give a walkover or 2 last season? I think that would put an asterisk next to any streak...

No, he didn't give a walkover during his epic streak.

young_gunner913
Feb 17th, 2012, 08:51 PM
I didn't ask you.
I asked young_gunner but he isn't man enough to reply to me :p

So what Matt, now that Caro proved to be an epic failure and now you're on the Vika bandwagon? Talk about shameless. :lol:

Matt01
Feb 17th, 2012, 09:04 PM
So what Matt, now that Caro proved to be an epic failure and now you're on the Vika bandwagon? Talk about shameless. :lol:

:lol: :(

Caro isn't #1 anymore so I don't have to defend her as a worthy and consistant number one player anymore. But before I have to quit my job entirely, I'm hopping onto the Vika bandagon ;)

And to be serious, I always liked Vika's game more the Caro's and you still haven't answered my questions yet. Because you aren't able to :hug:

JCTennisFan
Feb 17th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Comparing Azarenka to Djokovic's 2011 season is just wrong. Djokovic put together one of the best seasons in a long time.... Azarenka has yet to show dominance anywhere near what Novak did.

young_gunner913
Feb 17th, 2012, 09:10 PM

Caro isn't #1 anymore so I don't have to defend her as a worthy and consistant number one player anymore. But before I have to quit my job entirely, I'm hopping onto the Vika bandagon ;)

And to be serious, I always liked Vika's game more the Caro's and you still haven't answered my questions yet. Because you aren't able to :hug:

It's up to Vika to answer your question. You already know my thoughts on her beating Serena. ;)

And that's a damn lie. Now that Vika has a slam and #1 you're drooling all over her! :lol:

Break My Rapture
Feb 17th, 2012, 09:11 PM

:tape:

Damn gloryhogs

JCTennisFan
Feb 17th, 2012, 09:11 PM

Flippity Floppity are we? Bill Cosby has his eye on you Matt. :D

Matt01
Feb 17th, 2012, 09:15 PM
It's up to Vika to answer your question. You already know my thoughts on her beating Serena. ;)

You implied that Vika cannot beat Serena. Vika already answered my question and proved you wrong: 6:3,6:1 :wavey:

And that's a damn lie. Now that Vika has a slam and #1 you're drooling all over her! :lol:

Obviously you do know better about my preferences than I do :hug:

aguy9797
Feb 17th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Comparing Azarenka to Djokovic's 2011 season is just wrong. Djokovic put together one of the best seasons in a long time.... Azarenka has yet to show dominance anywhere near what Novak did.

Look back at February 2011. How many people were able to anticipate Novak's incredible run that would include beating Rafa on clay in Spain?? Absolutely nobody did. And yet, he put it together.

Having said that, nobody is comparing Nole's run to what Vika has done so far in 2012. She is on a 16:0 winning streak and we are entertaining ourselves by wondering how far it could potentially go :)

young_gunner913
Feb 17th, 2012, 09:22 PM
You implied that Vika cannot beat Serena. Vika already answered my question and proved you wrong: 6:3,6:1 :wavey:

If she had such an easy time, why has she never been able to beat her again? :lol:

Obviously you do know better about my preferences than I do :hug:

Your preferences are well documented on this forum. :lol: Pathetic glory hunter. It's really embarrassing that it's so obvious as well.

Matt01
Feb 17th, 2012, 09:29 PM
If she had such an easy time, why has she never been able to beat her again? :lol:

Because she got injured at AO.

Your preferences are well documented on this forum. :lol: Pathetic glory hunter. It's really embarrassing that it's so obvious as well.

If I was a gloryhunter, I would be a fan of Serena or other multiple Slam winners. Instead, I'm defending slamless players like Caro (or before Jankovic) because I don't like it when players are unfairly bashed. I'm one of the fairest posters around so calling me a pathetic gloryhunter couldn't be more wrong. :wavey:

Excelscior
Feb 17th, 2012, 09:41 PM

I see "Da Train Done left the station" already with you and Caro!! :lol: :tape: :lol:

I guess the captain always knows when his ship is truly sinking?

Fair enough/Shameless (though certainly your right)! No problem.

"Around and around he goes. Where will the Matt carousel Hop to next (if/when Vika has a slump or starts losing some matches), nobody knows!!???

young_gunner913
Feb 17th, 2012, 09:51 PM

Is that an excuse I see? :oh:

If I was a gloryhunter, I would be a fan of Serena or other multiple Slam winners. Instead, I'm defending slamless players like Caro (or before Jankovic) because I don't like it when players are unfairly bashed. I'm one of the fairest posters around so calling me a pathetic gloryhunter couldn't be more wrong. :wavey:

It's not IF you are a gloryhunter...

You ARE a glory hunter.

You all of the sudden became a huge Caro fan when she was winning big titles then you dumped her for someone who would win the title that she couldn't. And you sitting here trying to defend your actions like we don't know better is hilarious and pathetic at the same time. :lol:

Excelscior
Feb 17th, 2012, 10:00 PM
From Matt01

If I was a gloryhunter, I would be a fan of Serena or other multiple Slam winners. Instead, I'm defending slamless players like Caro (or before Jankovic) because I don't like it when players are unfairly bashed. I'm one of the fairest posters around so calling me a pathetic gloryhunter couldn't be more wrong.

Is that an excuse I see? :oh:

It's not IF you are a gloryhunter...

You ARE a glory hunter.

You all of the sudden became a huge Caro fan when she was winning big titles then you dumped her for someone who would win the title that she couldn't. And you sitting here trying to defend your actions like we don't know better is hilarious and pathetic at the same time. :lol:

Let's keep it real. It also depends on who he'll like and subsequently root for.

It's obvious, that he could never root for Serena now or ever, and other players. So his answer is certainly disingenuous and to be taken lightly.

For example he doesn't like Kvitova; so if/when she wins more titles and majors, he'll only root for someone else to beat her, instead of jumping on the Kvitty bandwagon.

If/when he ever does that (jump on the Kitty Kat Bandwagon; then he would be more than a bandwagon jumper. He would of truly fell to the Dark Side.

:eek: :sad: :eek:

Craig.
Feb 17th, 2012, 10:03 PM

You take this forum WAY TOO seriously :hysteric:

Matt01
Feb 17th, 2012, 10:04 PM

:weirdo: I never became a "huge Caro fan". And I still respect and like her as much as did before. And I also didn't "dump" her for Vika. But as the current #1 people here obviously post more about her so ATM I'm posting more about Vika than I do about Caro.

Jane Lane
Feb 17th, 2012, 10:43 PM
What the fuck happened to this thread it had like 5 posts during Vika's match :sobbing:

Brad[le]y.
Feb 17th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Vikapower at it again :lol:

guess I better bring out this little ticket again :lol:
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc470/Skyblue101/ScreenShot2012-02-12at11152PM.png

aguy9797
Feb 17th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Vikapower at it again :lol:

guess I better bring out this little ticket again :lol:
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc470/Skyblue101/ScreenShot2012-02-12at11152PM.png

well, if you really want to bring that.

why don't we also bring that Serena is 9 years older than Vika, and all those matches took place when Vika was a teen and Serena was a fully developed player at her peak, she was beating a kid, really ;)

Brad[le]y.
Feb 17th, 2012, 11:04 PM
well, if you really want to bring that.

why don't we also bring that Serena is 9 years older than Vika, and all those matches took place when Vika was a teen and Serena was a fully developed player at her peak, she was beating a kid, really ;)

I know, Vikapower is a lost cause though :lol: it's hard to deal with him :p

BluSthil
Feb 17th, 2012, 11:12 PM
It looks like Victoria has finally pulled everything together. Assuming her training regimen will cut down on her injuries, she should have a stellar year. I can see her winning 2, maybe 3 slams this year. I assume the big prize this year will be the Gold Medal. The 'new kids on the block' should give us some exciting tennis play in 2012.

StoneRose
Feb 17th, 2012, 11:41 PM
^Agree but i doubt she'll win 2 other slams this year. She's definitely not favorite for Wimbledon with Petra and Serena out there. She might win RG but Petra ,Sam or Li, maybe Maria are all tough opponents. Her best chance is probably USO, if she can retain current form i'd say she's slight favorite there. Even without another slam but consistent good performance staying #1 it's a stellar year of course.

sweetadri06
Feb 18th, 2012, 12:02 AM
^Agree but i doubt she'll win 2 other slams this year. She's definitely not favorite for Wimbledon with Petra and Serena out there. She might win RG but Petra ,Sam or Li, maybe Maria are all tough opponents. Her best chance is probably USO, if she can retain current form i'd say she's slight favorite there. Even without another slam but consistent good performance staying #1 it's a stellar year of course.

Vika is not a slight favorite for US Open. I'll give you RG but there are atleast 4 or 5 players that are better than her on US hard courts.

StoneRose
Feb 18th, 2012, 12:15 AM
Hard court seems to be Vika's best surface. She wasn't very lucky getting Serena on fire third round last year. I wonder which 4-5 players you have in mind? Surely not Petra who has yet to prove herself on this surface. Maybe Serena but Vika's become stronger since last USO and i'm not sure Serena will play as well as she did then. Sam on fire again, who knows?

I don't remember Vika making that much of an impression on clay in the past though. RG won't be easy imo.

Sam L
Feb 18th, 2012, 12:18 AM
If she wants to be Queen Victoria I hope she takes up causes like support for the RSPCA like her namesake. I will love you more Vika.

sweetadri06
Feb 18th, 2012, 12:24 AM
Hard court seems to be Vika's best surface. She wasn't very lucky getting Serena on fire third round last year. I wonder which 4-5 players you have in mind? Surely not Petra who has yet to prove herself on this surface. Maybe Serena but Vika's become stronger since last USO and i'm not sure Serena will play as well as she did then. Sam on fire again, who knows?

I don't remember Vika making that much of an impression on clay in the past though. RG won't be easy imo.

Serena, Kim, Caroline, Maria. All of them have better results than she does on the surface. It's too early (imo) to be thinking of favorites for US open anyways, everyone will be dead tired after the Olympics.

StoneRose
Feb 18th, 2012, 12:33 AM
Agree that healthy Kim might still be better, maybe Serena as well. Maria's best results here are in the past and she has a tough time against Vika usually. Caro will probably not be factor this year, hope she'll prove me wrong but i doubt it.

Gilas.
Feb 18th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Vika's chance for another slam will definitely be at the French. It's an open field with probably Stosur as the slight fave, but she owns that head-to-head. Serena or Petra, hell even Venus will fight over Wimby and you can bet that Kim will mug her way to her last US Open.

stromatolite
Feb 18th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Sorry, I like Vika fine, but I just don't get this super-Vika thing that's going on right now. She's been #1 and a slam champ for not quite 3 weeks and has strung together a dozen and a bit wins, and suddenly she's unbeatable? Sure a lot of her wins have been very onesided, but actually that was always the case and goes with the blitzkrieg style of tennis that people like she and Maria play. She has certainly tightened up het game and is far less prone to the terrible matches she used to throw in on the other side of that coin, but I see nothing in her current form to suggest that she's Nole-like unbeatable. That said, I'll be more than happy to concede I was wrong if she does go on an unbeleivable winning spree.

améliemomo
Feb 18th, 2012, 09:44 AM
There is no one else in better form than Azarenka right now. Kvitova has to deal with her weaker surfaces this time of year, Serena lost a set to Yakimova just a week ago and bombed out in straights to Makarova at the AO, Kim doesn't have the motivation to play and her current form is only cutting it against scrubs and Wozniacki.

Azarenka IS the best player right now.

we already saw it with Wozniacki when she was world n°1 during 2010-2011. Being the most consistent with the best form doesnt mean you are THE BEST PLAYER. She's winning a lot of matchs but where 's the concurrency, a valuable one?

Serena got injured at Brisbane, Kim at Sydney so no you cant say they were at their top form during the AO. Azarenka deserved her AO win, she fought and worked hard to grab it but when I see her playing, I still think she doesnt have the best game

lets see how she'll deal with all the girls healthy and ready to the fight. Even Li Na is not there so her actual "domination" is not that "exceptionnal" so please stop the hype like she became suddenly the best player EVER.

Mustafina
Feb 18th, 2012, 12:32 PM
My wishlist for Azarenka in 2012:

-less than 10 losses
-at least 5 titles
-at least semis of the remaining slams
-YE #1 :D

Quite achievable if she sustains her current form.

Petronius
Feb 18th, 2012, 12:36 PM
It looks like Victoria has finally pulled everything together. Assuming her training regimen will cut down on her injuries, she should have a stellar year. I can see her winning 2, maybe 3 slams this year. I assume the big prize this year will be the Gold Medal. The 'new kids on the block' should give us some exciting tennis play in 2012.

:haha:

MM_1257
Feb 18th, 2012, 01:51 PM
She can! :bowdown:Is she gluten- free?

hERi
Feb 18th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I don't think the haters will shut their mouth even though she win Qatar tittle..

Petronius
Feb 18th, 2012, 03:23 PM
The most recent ELEVEN matches of "Queen" Viktoria against Caro, Petra and Serena

10/28/2009 15:05 C. Wozniacki - V. Azarenka 2 : 1 (1 : 6) (6 : 4) (7 : 5)
10/01/2010 06:05 C. Wozniacki - V. Azarenka 2 : 1 (6 : 2) (6 : 7) (6 : 4)
03/17/2011 19:05 C. Wozniacki - V. Azarenka 1 : 0 (3 : 0)

06/26/2010 13:05 P. Kvitova - V. Azarenka 2 : 0 (7 : 5) (6 : 0)
05/08/2011 15:35 V. Azarenka - P. Kvitova 0 : 2 (6 : 7) (4 : 6)
06/30/2011 14:05 V. Azarenka - P. Kvitova 1 : 2 (1 : 6) (6 : 3) (2 : 6)
10/30/2011 16:05 P. Kvitova - V. Azarenka 2 : 1 (7 : 5) (4 : 6) (6 : 3)

06/30/2009 16:50 V. Azarenka - S. Williams 0 : 2 (2 : 6) (3 : 6)
01/27/2010 04:20 S. Williams - V. Azarenka 2 : 1 (4 : 6) (7 : 6) (6 : 2)
08/14/2011 00:35 V. Azarenka - S. Williams 0 : 2 (3 : 6) (3 : 6)
09/03/2011 22:10 V. Azarenka - S. Williams 0 : 2 (1 : 6) (6 : 7)

TOTAL SCORE: 0-11

So a player wins a slam by beating an injured Kim in the semis and avoiding at least three players who have been consistently beating her over the last two years and suddenly is compared to Djokovic? I have nothing against Victoria, but give me a break. The hype is ridiculous.

Young 8
Feb 18th, 2012, 03:26 PM
The most recent ELEVEN matches of "Queen" Viktoria against Caro, Petra and Serena

So a player wins a slam by beating an injured Kim in the semis and avoiding at least three players who have been consistently beating her over the last two years and suddenly is compared to Djokovic? I have nothing against Victoria, but give me a break. The hype is ridiculous.

are you really using stats from 2009/10 or early 11 ?

aguy9797
Feb 18th, 2012, 03:37 PM

Using your own argument, why don't you look at Novak's record against Federer and Nadal during 2009-2010, which are two seasons before his wonderful run of 2011. Was it that impressive? The answer is hell no.

And again, nobody is comparing Vika's run to what Nole did last year. In February 2011, nobody could have thought Djokovic could go that long without losing. We are just having fun speculating how far she can take this winning streak. It can be over today or could go on for a while. :)

Setsuna.
Feb 18th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Only idiots think that is possible. Vika is no Djokovic.

aguy9797
Feb 18th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Only idiots think that is possible. Vika is no Djokovic.

for the last time, before you call other people idiots, why don't you check Djokovic's record for 2009-2010 (before his incredible run). did that record scream GOAT?

Shinjiro
Feb 18th, 2012, 04:04 PM
She's no Djoko, then again there's no Nadal or even Olderer equivalents on the WTA tour, so anything is possible. Though I do think she'll either lose in IW or Miami.

Monzanator
Feb 18th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Kvitova will stop the rout in Dubai, so this thread is useless :shrug:

aguy9797
Feb 19th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Suffering, “injured” Vika through horrible pain, barely containing tears completely outruns, outhits, outsmarts and humiliates Stosur.

If we think Aga does not deserve to be Top 5 after her yesterday performance, it is fair to say, Stosur does not belong to Top 10 after what she showed today.

By the way, Vika you really did not need to pull that drama trick on Aga, you are more than capable to beat her when you play fair game.

Now, please take the next week off and go to LA Monday morning.

madmax
Feb 19th, 2012, 03:27 PM
DjokoRenka trashing her fellow Top tenners on one leg these days:bowdown:

Melange
Feb 19th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Vika = Djokovic. :eek:

Mustafina
Feb 19th, 2012, 03:34 PM
My wishlist for Azarenka in 2012:

-less than 10 losses
-at least 5 titles
-at least semis of the remaining slams
-YE #1 :D

Quite achievable if she sustains her current form.

2 more titles to go. :D

StoneRose
Feb 19th, 2012, 03:39 PM
for the last time, before you call other people idiots, why don't you check Djokovic's record for 2009-2010 (before his incredible run). did that record scream GOAT?
You have a point there. Then again Djoko owns Nadal :yeah:. Vika will improve her H2H against Petra but i don't see her owning Petra.

Vikapower
Feb 19th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Using your own argument, why don't you look at Novak's record against Federer and Nadal during 2009-2010, which are two seasons before his wonderful run of 2011. Was it that impressive? The answer is hell no.

And again, nobody is comparing Vika's run to what Nole did last year. In February 2011, nobody could have thought Djokovic could go that long without losing. We are just having fun speculating how far she can take this winning streak. It can be over today or could go on for a while. :)

That's right :lol: I don't know but what has Djokovic's head to head been now against Fedal and top tenners since 2011 :confused:

Djokovic was owned 13-7 or 8 by Federer a moment and it was even worst against Nadal. People need to stop talking crap and just wait and see. Victoria will have all the time in the world to face the legitimate so called top players, overturn or amplify H2h's. :lol:

aguy9797
Feb 19th, 2012, 04:05 PM
That's right :lol: I don't know but what has Djokovic's head to head been now against Fedal and top tenners since 2011 :confused:

Djokovic was owned 13-7 or 8 by Federer a moment and it was even worst against Nadal. People need to stop talking crap and just wait and see. Victoria will have all the time in the world to face the legitimate so called top players, overturn or amplify H2h's. :lol:

now, I am hoping the "injury" should be a valid enough reason to withdraw from Dubai, go to California and get ready to take on Kvitova in IW/Miami

Setsuna.
Feb 19th, 2012, 05:01 PM

What's your point here?? I said Vika is no Djokovic and will never be as great as him. I thought that was clear enough. Come back to me when Vika wins 3 GSs in one season. LOL.

Setsuna.
Feb 19th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Vika = Djokovic. :eek:

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt320/Janko_107/Backpacks_thrown.gif

hobahobaspirit
Feb 19th, 2012, 05:16 PM
The hype is unbearable :facepalm:

aguy9797
Feb 19th, 2012, 05:46 PM
What's your point here?? I said Vika is no Djokovic and will never be as great as him. I thought that was clear enough. Come back to me when Vika wins 3 GSs in one season. LOL.

My point is that you should not call other people idiots because it is rude

My other point is that in 2010 there were strong voices saying that Djokovic is on his way out of Top 10 because he played mediocre tennis at that time, and then 2011 came and Nole had his incredible run.

Now good luck to you, this discussion is over indeed

CloudAtlas
Feb 19th, 2012, 05:57 PM
This forum had Kanepi noted down as the next Kvitova so this current hype is entirely unsurprising and characteristically predictable of TF.

I don't see any notable improvements in Vika's game since last year , she simply has been more consistent this year and has not withdrawn in the three events she has played, and no doubt the match win streak is doing wonders for her confidence, therefore the same players who beat her last year should be able to beat her again. Kvitova can almost certainly do it but unlikely that it happens on a hard court , not sure how many times I can be bothered having the same argument with Kvitova stans but the girl clearly isn't a huge threat on NA hard courts , and most likely Dubai too.

mac47
Feb 19th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Hi Nidal, a Kvitova fan here to ask you what sort of outdoor hardcourt results would Kvitty have to produce before you would bow down and admit that she's good on that surface.

Excelscior
Feb 19th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Hi Nidal, a Kvitova fan here to ask you what sort of outdoor hardcourt results would Kvitty have to produce before you would bow down and admit that she's good on that surface.

I always love how people talk so much stuff (especially of the dubious variety), right before an event, instead of letting it play itself out.

It's simultaneously premature, hasty and comical. :shrug: :shrug:

But I'll let you get into dialogue with him.

I'll just continue to watch the matches.

Holdsworth
Feb 19th, 2012, 09:21 PM
They have such a similar game -)

C. Drone
Feb 19th, 2012, 09:26 PM
I always love how people talk so much stuff (especially of the dubious variety), right before an event, instead of letting it play itself out.

It's simultaneously premature, hasty and comical. :shrug: :shrug:

But I'll let you get into dialogue with him.

I'll just continue to watch the matches.

didnt you said you expect 3 titles from Kvitty before clay season? :confused: :bounce: :confused:

Break My Rapture
Feb 19th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I think most people are simply implying that Kvitova is not as good on outdoor hardcourt as on the other surfaces, but not saying that she's bad on it. Even though Kvitty has had her fair share of WTF losses on this surface, one of which being a loss in straights to Morita in Dubai just last year. She's just more vulnerable on this surface, probably.

Break My Rapture
Feb 19th, 2012, 09:30 PM
I seriously just got a threat in a PM from a Radwanska fan.

saul1333
Feb 19th, 2012, 09:32 PM

:tape:

Some are on the verge of imploding.

Break My Rapture
Feb 19th, 2012, 09:34 PM
I'm taking that shit to the mods/admins. :lol: Some people are taking this WAY too personally.

Brad[le]y.
Feb 19th, 2012, 09:40 PM

who?

stop making Aga fans look bad, people :sobbing:

Ferg
The Radwanska fans have turned it up a notch since she grabbed those two tournaments last year like a vulture.

Break My Rapture
who?

stop making Aga fans look bad, people :sobbing:
asmad77 :lol:

C. Drone
Feb 19th, 2012, 09:41 PM

must be as serious as her slam threats.

Brad[le]y.
Feb 19th, 2012, 09:43 PM
asmad77 :lol:

what a creep :tape:

in response to the thread, I don't think so. If she cares about it though, I would withdraw from Dubai and rest for a while. She's simply not the athlete that Djokovic is.

Excelscior
Feb 19th, 2012, 09:56 PM
I think most people are simply implying that Kvitova is not as good on outdoor hardcourt as on the other surfaces, but not saying that she's bad on it. Even though Kvitty has had her fair share of WTF losses on this surface, one of which being a loss in straights to Morita in Dubai just last year. She's just more vulnerable on this surface, probably.

Petra lost to Morita last year cause she was tapped out/tired, and learning to deal with winning and playing a lot of matches. She said so. That's why she took Paris Indoors and Doha off this year. Even Clijsters said she was knocked out after Sydney, The Aussie Open and Paris Indoors, for the first half of the season. She did. So was Petra.

Petra, arguably played even more than Kim last year, by winning Brisbane, 1/4 finals of Oz, winning Paris indoors, and winning two matches at the Fed Cup, then going straight to Doha. Plus, she wasn't use to it (playing/winning that much, like most younger, inexperienced players). So she bombed. She and her team have discussed this extensively, and wanted to correct it this year.

That's what many of you guys don't realize. Discussing Petra's late 2011 Indoor Hardcourt results, translating to 2012 Outdoor Hardcourts, has nothing to do with stanning or wishful thinking for your fave.

Because we follow the players career (Petra wasn't daily TF fodder at that point), we know exactly why certain things happen (with in reason of course). We know others don't follow, or couldn't care less. That's fair, fine and understandable. I get that.

That's like someone saying, before Wimby last year, Azarenka was doomed to never win any major (cake walk 2011 Wimby draw be damned), cause she never made it past a major quarterfinal. She was Quarter-Renka. Correct? Lol. And the irony is, she's been a top player several more years longer than Kvitova to boot. But look what's happened to Azarenka, since last years Wimby semifinal? And look how quick Petra won one, whence she became a top 10 player (1+ month after she became a top tenner). So I find these proclamations woefully reckless, duplicitous and premature.

Keep in mind, Kvitova made it to the US Open 4th round three years ago. Then lost to the eventual Champion Clisjters the following year, and bombed out during her post Wimby funk last year. So I'm not writing her off for that event as so many others here would. That would be like me writing off Azarenka for the US Open, since she hasn't done well there either, with out looking further into it (like her draws). Correct? Cause someone can say that.

As I've said many times, Petra is a young, rapidly developing player, who's new to winning, playing a lot of matches with growing confidence, etc. Outdoor Hard Courts were her first two tournament wins in her career. Clay, Indoors, and Grass actually came as a surprise, relatively speaking, when you read her comments about them and look at her prior record. So I'm confused (not counting the extremely slow, high bouncing indoor hard courts she's won comfortably on recently). It's not like we're talking a Clay/slow hard court specialist, trying to play their game on grass or a fast, low bouncing hard court. Petra has won on the exact same indoor surfaces, that she plays on outdoor. So it's not nearly the same stretch/adaptation (while she wins on those natural, outdoor surfaces as well), as the prior example or player. Of course they're subtle differences between indoor and outdoor courts of the same surface; but not nearly the extremes the different surfaces are. The reasons have been just as much her scheduling, health, injury, preparation and development.

So it's you guys (not you Desuetude) that have it backwards, by making premature, definitive wild assumptions and expectations on Petra's rapidly developing, unpredictable career (based off the evidence, logic, matches and her development).

Just let the matches and her year unfold. She may surprise you; but not me.

Break My Rapture
Feb 19th, 2012, 10:01 PM
She lost to Morita last year cause she was tapped out/tired, and learning to deal with winning and playing a lot of matches. Even Clijsters said she was knocked out after Sydney, The Aussie Open and Paris Indoors, for the first half of the season. So was Petra.

Petra, arguably played even more than Kim, by winning Brisbane, 1/4 finals of Oz, winning Paris indoors, and winning two matches at the Fed Cup, then going straight to Doha. Plus, she wasn't use to it (playing/winning that much).

That's what many of you guys don't realize. It has nothing to do with stanning or wishful thinking for your fave.

Because we follow the players career, we know exactly why certain things happen, while others don't or couldn't care less. That's fair and understandable. I get that.

That's like us saying, before Wimby last year, Azarenka was doomed to never win any major (cake walk 2011 Wimby draw and all), cause she never made it past a major quarterfinal. She was quarter-renka. Correct? And the irony is, she's been a top player several more years longer than Kvitova to boot. But look what's happened to her? And look how quick Petra won one, when she became a top 10 player.

Kvitova made it to the US Open 4th round three years ago. Then lost to the eventual Champion Clisjters, and bombed out during her post Wimby funk. So I'm not writing her off for that event as so many others here would. That would be like me writing off Azarenka for the US Open, since she hasn't done well there either, with out looking further into it (like her draws). Correct? Cause someone can say that.

As I've said many times, Petra is a young, rapidly developing player, who's new to winning, playing a lot of matches with growing confidence, etc. Outdoor Hard Courts were her first two tournament wins in her career. Clay, Indoors, and Grass actually came as a surprise, relatively speaking, when you read her comments about them and look at her prior record. So I'm confused (not counting the extremely slow, high bouncing indoor hard courts she's won comfortably on).

It's you guys (not you Desuetude) that have it backwards, by making premature, definitive wild assumptions and expectations on Petra's rapidly developing, unpredictable career.

Just let the matches and her year unfold. She may surprise you.
She's not bad on outdoor HCs or anything, just more vulnerable like I said earlier. Good example are her matches vs Sharapova. In Wimbledon she blasted her off the court and won in straights, in AO she lost in 3 sets and was missing a lot of shots. I think, in general, that Kvitova's timing comes so much more fluid on natural surfaces like grass and clay.

cn ireland
Feb 19th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Eventhough I think Vika will be a dominant force throughout the year, I think she will lose in March.

Players like Kvitova, Sharapova, Clijsters & Lisicki are all capable of beating her.

Excelscior
Feb 19th, 2012, 10:23 PM
She's not bad on outdoor HCs or anything, just more vulnerable like I said earlier. Good example are her matches vs Sharapova. In Wimbledon she blasted her off the court and won in straights, in AO she lost in 3 sets and was missing a lot of shots. I think, in general, that Kvitova's timing comes so much more fluid on natural surfaces like grass and clay.

I will certainly agree with you, that she didn't look very fluid against Sharapova. Can't argue about that. But I also think she employed the same strategy at Wimbledon at the Aussie Open, expecting the same results.

Petra and her team even discussed/confirmed this Wimbledon game plan before hand. So you're right. But that doesn't mean she couldn't of employed a similar strategy that she used against Azarenka (more variety, moving in and out of the court more, changing the pace), like she did through out the YEC and Fed Cup, and won that Aussie semifinal. I felt she stayed on the baseline too much, with out giving Sharapova enough different looks, which she was capable of doing.

But for perspective, I'm also sure you can say Azarenka didn't look fluid/her best in many majors the past 3 years during and before 2011 Wimby semifinal? Correct? So it's all relative I say. You never look your best, most times when you lose anyway.

But I do agree with you that recently, Petra has been better on Grass, Clay and Indoor hardcourt. Duh! But like you, I don't think it's as bad as some people wanna make it seem (like she can't win any outdoor hardcourt tournament she enters, which is ridiculous).

I think it's a fluid situation; while people are extrapolating trends based off of skewed/incorrect, incomplete, old, wishful thinking data and examples.

That's all past tense/water under the bridge now anyway (The Aussie Open semifinal). We'll see what happens the next few weeks? I like the matches to do the talking, when they're so soon (Dubai). Lol

Thanks.

CloudAtlas
Feb 19th, 2012, 10:39 PM

She's not terrible on it , I'll, give you that. But it isn't about the surface , it's about the conditions and Petra has historically struggled with this particularly in the US and similar outdoor hard court events. Yes she reached the semis at the AO but she was having great results in Oceania and on indoor hard courts even when she was ranked outside the top 50. Yet even as a top 10 player she has not done anything of note in the US Open series events/Indian Wells/Miami/Middle East hard court swing and by her own admittance struggles there.

If she's able to overcome these more power to her as a rivalry between her and Azarenka would be great for the game, but I certainly don't expect an overnight success story with regards to her troubles in the aforementioned tournaments. She's just that kind of player :shrug:

Charlatan
Feb 20th, 2012, 03:32 AM

:eek: why are some aga fans being bitter just like their fav? :scared:

Inger67
Feb 20th, 2012, 04:43 AM
I don't think she will but her run is definitely impressive and something women's tennis has needed for quite some time. I hope her, Petra, Wozniacki, and Sharapova all develop into the big four and going far into tournaments. Too bad Caro is digressing :sobbing:

Petronius
Feb 20th, 2012, 11:21 AM
I don't think she will but her run is definitely impressive and something women's tennis has needed for quite some time. I hope her, Petra, Wozniacki, and Sharapova all develop into the big four and going far into tournaments. Too bad Caro is digressing :sobbing:

When Petra lost to Li-Na at Sydney, she was also on a 18-match winning streak, including two victories over the reigning #1 Caro and obviously a victory vs. Miss Azarenka :D

DemiCrayanhan
Feb 20th, 2012, 11:48 AM
When Petra lost to Li-Na at Sydney, she was also on a 18-match winning streak, including two victories over the reigning #1 Caro and obviously a victory vs. Miss Azarenka :D

i'm just as petrafied as the next guy, but vika's streak includes a slam, 5 straight finals, 3 back-to-back trophies, and a rise to No.1 - just a tad bit more impressive, don't you think? not many would argue with how good both girls are for the game.

Excelscior
Feb 20th, 2012, 11:51 AM
The Radwanska fans have turned it up a notch since she grabbed those two tournaments last year like a vulture.

Funny, all this vulturism. Lol

hERi
Feb 20th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Eventhough I think Vika will be a dominant force throughout the year, I think she will lose in March.

Players like Kvitova, Sharapova, Clijsters & Lisicki are all capable of beating her.

Hello..Lisicki? are you serious? no way :worship:

cecilija
Feb 20th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Can definitely see her going unbeaten till the clay court season at least :lol:

Petronius
Feb 20th, 2012, 04:31 PM
i'm just as petrafied as the next guy, but vika's streak includes a slam, 5 straight finals, 3 back-to-back trophies, and a rise to No.1 - just a tad bit more impressive, don't you think? not many would argue with how good both girls are for the game.

Both streaks are very impressive so that's why I was reminding that poster that we just had a similar streak a very short time ago, which included FOUR back-to-back trophies, including WTA Championships, which Petra herself considered as a more difficult win than Wimbledon, because there were five matches in a row against Top10 opponents. And BTW, if you are 6-0 in your Fed Cup ties and thus make a huge contribution towards the title, then winning Fed Cup is IMO a bigger achievement than winning e.g. Sydney.

So yeah, both streaks are great.

SAISAI-GOAT
Feb 21st, 2012, 03:44 AM
she'll win Dubai easily :yawn:

in Indian Wells she may lose to Petra / Na and in Miami she may lose to Petra / Na / Serena / Kim

I don't see Maria beating her :shrug:

jameshazza
Feb 21st, 2012, 03:46 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if she runs out of steam against Goerges, I'm sure Julia will actually turn up given she's playing the #1. But really, Vika shouldn't be playing Dubai and I doubt she'll manage the IW/Miami double.