Feb 17th, 2012, 01:34 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/iqbrep.jpg

BepaMaria
Feb 17th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Monica tried very hard, but Sam was too good for her:worship:

GoofyDuck
Feb 17th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Great match

Didn't like Monica's ascent on the rankings last year.

Now I'm under her spell aswell :awww:
like her game alot and her BH really is a weapon, she needs to use it more!

Stosur's framing was peak as always and her blowing in the hands + backhand annoying as always.

aguy9797
Feb 17th, 2012, 01:35 PM
good fight, Monica. Veray streaky but entertaining to watch.

Sam is regaining her lost confidence after the horror in Australia

deliverance.
Feb 17th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Monica :sad:

plokploky
Feb 17th, 2012, 01:37 PM
:woohoo:so happy for sam. But some brilliant tennis from monica. Overall it was a good match, but there were spells which were awful. If sam can keep her forehand the whole match, I think she can rise up the rankings even more.

Curcubeu
Monica seemed to have the momentum in the middle of the third, but Stosur was very clutch from there on and got herself back in an impressive manner!

Still, a good week, another well deserved QF and so many chances to get her ranking even higher on the upcoming big HC events. With her current game she is able to beat more than half of the current Top 20 player, taking into account that most of them are in poor form anyway.

Already looking forward and I hope she can maintain her level! :)

Mistress of Evil
Too bad the psychotic wannabe bitch didn't go at full force in this one :sad: I wish she was way more vocal and expressive.

The Kaz
Feb 17th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Up and down match from both, but good quality overall.

Sam was GOAT until 5-0 in the 1st set, then Niculescu become a factor.

Monica played I think about 5 game plan during the match, she threw absolutely everything at Sam including aggressive ball-bashing :eek:

Sam won 12 of the last 13 points :drool:

Six Feet Under
Feb 17th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Nice match :)

Curcubeu
Feb 17th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Too bad the psychotic wannabe bitch didn't go at full force in this one :sad: I wish she was way more vocal and expressive.

:yawn:

You used to be better.

Huntress55
Thank goodness Sam got through that. Glad she picked up her level again at the end there :)

Miracle Worker
I put a spell on you
and now you're mine.
You can't stop the things I do.
I ain't lyyyyyin'.

:oh:

Gilas.
Feb 17th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Didn't expect this to go 3 sets so Monica did very well. She was very aggressive in the second set and used the backhand DTL to great effect. As expected, Sam was able to neutralize most of Monica's versatility with her heavy topspin shots so Niculescu had no choice but to rally from the baseline with Stosur - always a losing battle if you don't have enough power to exploit her poor footwork. Overall a good match with a worthy winner.

madmax
Feb 17th, 2012, 01:45 PM
good to see another recent slam champion somehow mustering a winning streak in Premier event instead of flaming out in lame fashion:cheer:

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Monica seemed to have the momentum in the middle of the third, but Stosur was very clutch from there on and got herself back in an impressive manner!

Still, a good week, another well deserved QF and so many chances to get her ranking even higher on the upcoming big HC events. With her current game she is able to beat more than half of the current Top 20 player, taking into account that most of them are in poor form anyway.

Already looking forward and I hope she can maintain her level! :)

Yeah. Very pleased with Monica's performance today. In the end Sam was just too solid and I think Monica got down a bit after letting go of the 3 all 0-30 opportunity on her serve. Even so it was a damn good match with some outstanding returning from both players.

I totally agree with Curcubeu. Right now Monica is playing like a top 16 player and if she keeps her current level up a ranking to match is only a matter of time. Seeing Monica play so competitively against players as tough as Stosur and Kerber, two players who in the past have beaten Monica pretty easily, show just how well Monica is progressing and settling into her position as a top 30 player. She does belong there and I have every reason to believe Monica can stick around the top 30 for a substantial length of time. Indeed at the moment the top 20 is starting to beckon.

There are two things that most pleased me today about Monica's performance. Firstly at times during the match her serve actually looked pretty decent, perhaps not a major weapon but not a liability either. There were still some shaky service games too but at other times one wouldn't even guess it was a weakness. At the very least Monica's serve is better now than I've ever seen it before and if she can continue to improve that aspect of her game it would of course be huge for her.

The other thing that pleased me is that watching Monica now one can see she has so many tactical options to choose from. Few players on the tour can play in more different styles than Monica. She can go for finesse with her great racket skills or she can play a more conventional aggressive game as she often did today with great effect or she can grind it out at the baseline using her great court coverage. The challenge is simply choosing the right game style to suit the opponent and the surface and Monica and coach seem to be getting pretty good at working this out. :)

donellcarey
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Nice one Mon:eek:

dsanders06
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Still not convinced by Stosur's form at all, but atleast it looks like mentally she's made a full recovery from Australia, on the evidence of the very impressive way she steeled herself and knuckled down in the last few games.

I don't think she's going to win her semifinal no matter who she plays, but really this part of the season was only ever going to be about doing decently enough that she's set up nicely to really do some damage on the clay.

The Kaz
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Still not convinced by Stosur's form at all, but atleast it looks like mentally she's made a full recovery from Australia, on the evidence of the very impressive way she steeled herself and knuckled down in the last few games.

I don't think she's going to win her semifinal no matter who she plays, but really this part of the season was only ever going to be about doing decently enough that she's set up nicely to really do some damage on the clay.

Did you watch today's match?

ElusiveChanteuse
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:19 PM
seems like a good match.:eek:

Sammo
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Well I'm not gonna say 'A win is a win' cause that expression is ridicolous in my opinion, I'm just gonna say 'At least she won' :lol:

duhcity
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:24 PM
It is ridiculous how being on a different continent can do much. She wasn't always useless in Australia..what's happened?

eDonkey
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:25 PM
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz4jf4VIPZ1r5idzso2_250.gif

Actually it was a good match. Loved that Monica's backhand.:hearts:

She has a weak serve, but unlike yesterday's Tsvetana, for example, it is so unreliable and different every time that it is unpredictable.:lol:
Sam was so perplexed at a time when Monica literally lost hold of the ball on her second serve, but it still went to the advantage court.Sam fired the ball back at Monica who was able to send it just past the net.After all Monica went to a passing shot and won the point.
She really a variety of shots today and played quite aggresively. And that was a please to the eye.

The Kaz
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:28 PM
It is ridiculous how being on a different continent can do much. She wasn't always useless in Australia..what's happened?

She was okay in Australia when she was the underdog and all the results were a "bonus" eg: 2005 runner-ups in both Gold Coast and Sydney. She had her breakthough in 2006 and since then she feels the pressure to do well at home because it is expected of her... damn media hype :mad:

I fear she'll always underperform in Australian ala Momo unless she soughts our the mental aspect of her game :sad:

faboozadoo15
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Nice match, ladies.

LCS
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Stosur is such a mess.

I actually think Niculescu must be a bad match-up for Stosur since all the slicing and dicing probably makes her frame like there's no tomorrow...

Sombrerero loco
Feb 17th, 2012, 07:08 PM
now please beat bartoli, sam

evana
Feb 17th, 2012, 07:17 PM
good effort from Niculescu, but all this slicing is annoying as hell. :weirdo: :rolleyes:

SilverPersian
Feb 17th, 2012, 11:55 PM
I'm a bit surprised this went to three sets, I thought Stosur's topspin would have made it difficult for Monica to get her bag of tricks working. But it's good to see that most of the comments in this thread have been positive about both women. Sounds like it was a good match.

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 17th, 2012, 11:59 PM
:woohoo: Keep going Sammy! :rocker2: