PDA

View Full Version : New Sponsor of USO Series = Emirates Airlines

NA-GOAT
Feb 16th, 2012, 04:32 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news?slug=ap-usopenseries-sponsor

Emirates replaces Olympus :tape:

somehow this does not seem very American :spit:

at least it is not Turkish Airlines :lol:

did Turikish Airlines redo their Caro commercial after she is not SEWTA #1 :drool:

Gilas.
Feb 16th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Dubai going global :rocker2: and no one cares if it's unamerican as long as its paid in American $$$$$$

moviemac
Feb 16th, 2012, 04:51 PM
somehow this does not seem very American :spit:

It's not like Olympus was any more American. :rolleyes:

Kipling
Feb 16th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I'm sure Indian Wells has a deep connection with BNP Paribas too....

pov
Feb 16th, 2012, 06:31 PM
That was my initial thought as well. But culturally, Olympus is integrated into the USA mainstream.

doujyr
Feb 16th, 2012, 06:44 PM
it's kindof weird given the hostility of the people of the usa towards arabs/muslims

Mightymirza
Feb 16th, 2012, 06:57 PM

I know.. :lol: And Emirates was the main sponsor of the football world cup in Germany right? Or do they sponsor the german team?

Wintermute
Feb 16th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Olympus is currently involved in a massive accounting scandal in Japan. Probably a good idea that they got rid of them.

Sammo
Feb 16th, 2012, 07:13 PM

It sounded better.

wildemu
Feb 16th, 2012, 07:15 PM
always wondered why the arab states are so enthralled with tennis to begin with.

cosmoose
Feb 16th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Wouldn't it be kind of odd to have Emirates Airline sponsorship in cities they don't serve?
For example, I don't think Emirates Airline fly to Cincinnati?

C. Drone
Feb 16th, 2012, 08:08 PM
always wondered why the arab states are so enthralled with tennis to begin with.

they are interested in almost everything. :lol: Tennis only stands out because some players has bigger exposure than athletes from other sports.

Miracle Worker
Feb 16th, 2012, 08:24 PM

They have a lot of money, so they can buy even FIFA World Cup if they want.

Nicolás89
Feb 16th, 2012, 08:29 PM
They have a lot of money, so they can buy even FIFA World Cup if they want.

They already did. :oh:

Helen Lawson
Feb 16th, 2012, 08:34 PM
American companies are too broke, we're being taken over!

Miracle Worker
Feb 16th, 2012, 08:37 PM
American companies are too broke, we're being taken over!

I'm not sure. A lot of them have more money that a lot of small countries. And still the biggest companies are from USA.

Sammo
Feb 16th, 2012, 08:42 PM
I guess this is the reason of Olympus not being the sponsor of the USO series anymore

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/17/business/global/7-arrested-in-olympus-accounting-cover-up.html?ref=technology#

Tennis Observer
Feb 17th, 2012, 01:16 AM
Wouldn't it be kind of odd to have Emirates Airline sponsorship in cities they don't serve?
For example, I don't think Emirates Airline fly to Cincinnati?
You are spot on that Emirates doesn’t serve CVG, but teamed up with USTA (http://www.usta.com/Pro-Tennis/emirates_airline_usta_unveil_landmark_partnership_ for_us_open_us_open_series/):

In partnership with the United States Tennis Association (USTA), Emirates Airline announced a global, integrated sponsorship of the US Open and US Open Series. As part of the agreement, Emirates becomes the "Official Airline of the US Open" and the title sponsor of the "Emirates Airline US Open Series," whose 10 events combine to form the summer hardcourt professional tennis season and lead into the US Open.

Independently, Emirates sponsors a lot of events they don’t serve city (eg. Montreal and Rogers Cup; Golf: Ballantine’s Championship in Pinx Golf Club, Jeju Island, South Korea; Horse Races: Breeders' Cup World Championships different venues every year)
Sponsorships of Emirates (http://www.emirates.com/de/english/about/sponsorships/sponsorships.aspx)
I know.. :lol: And Emirates was the main sponsor of the football world cup in Germany right? Or do they sponsor the german team?

:topic: Emirates was official partner of the FIFA Women’s World Cup Germany last year but not during 2006 World Cup.
Emirates is not a partner of German Football Association (DFB). However, Emirates is the main sponsor of the soccer club “Hamburger Sportverein" (HSV).