PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne, Australia

Grafiati
Feb 16th, 2012, 10:48 AM
To those who know Melbourne: What do you recommend as far as sights to see, things to do, things to eat, places to relax, etc. for someone who is from the States and only in Melbourne for a little while longer? Unfortunately, my budget is very limited, but I read on a website that Queen's Park in Moonee Ponds is worth a look and went there the other day, just to give an example of inexpensive ideas. I've hit most of the museums, seen the Australian Open, and so on, but am looking to maximize the remaining weeks I have. I would greatly appreciate your sharing your favorite places to walk, food I should try since it's local, quirky places to check out, ... whatever comes to mind.

Thanks in advance! :)

Kəv.
Feb 16th, 2012, 10:51 AM
I've been in the city for excursion for 3 days :oh: Walking by ourselves.

Maybe you should go to the Aquarium, Old Melbourne Gaol, The Shrine. (Thats for CBD) There are mini alley ways, they usually have good food/cafe there. Have fun :)

eck
Feb 16th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Lygon St - Il Dolce Freddo
Melbourne Central - Cupcake Central

Alleys of Melbourne CBD usually have some good food too.

And the weather. :oh:
4 seasons in a day.

Dani12
Feb 16th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Lygon St - Il Dolce Freddo
Melbourne Central - Cupcake Central

Alleys of Melbourne CBD usually have some good food too.

And the weather. :oh:
4 seasons in a day.

I hate cliche's...but anyway.

If you don't like the weather in Melbourne...wait 10 minutes.

:p

eck
Feb 16th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I hate cliche's...but anyway.

If you don't like the weather in Melbourne...wait 10 minutes.

:p

Tell me about it.
I walked out of house with a jumper because it was so cold, but in the afternoon it got so warm I had a nosebleed :o

hdfb
Feb 16th, 2012, 11:23 AM
le foooooood

Yoncé
Feb 16th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Eureka Skydeck and everything else mentioned. You'll find something to do! Great food on South Bank, the alley ways are amaze :hearts:

Yoncé
Feb 16th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Little Bourke St is China town and the Yum Cha is pretty good

hdfb
Feb 16th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Chin Chin's, 125 Flinders Lane.
So effing hard to get a table :sobbing: yet to try but everyone says its great

King Halep
Feb 16th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Go to the local pub and get a chicken parmiggiana and chips. Its $10 on Wed nights at Sentido 243-245 Gertrude Street Collingwood.

V-MAC
Feb 16th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Is Australia in general a good place to visit? I'm thinking of applying for the working visa that allows you to stay in Australia for a year. I am concerned about the extreme heat though as I have delicate Irish skin:o

Mateo Mathieu
Feb 16th, 2012, 02:46 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/264rp6b.jpg

4 seasons in a day :oh:

Kəv.
Feb 16th, 2012, 08:42 PM
^ :lol: Yesteday being so hot and then suddenly the randomly pouring down....

spiceboy
Feb 16th, 2012, 09:02 PM
St.Kilda was my favourite part of the city :hearts:

Walking down the Yarra was pretty nice too...and visiting the Australian Open facilities which are literally a 10 minutes walk from downtown :lol:

spiceboy
Feb 16th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Is Australia in general a good place to visit? I'm thinking of applying for the working visa that allows you to stay in Australia for a year. I am concerned about the extreme heat though as I have delicate Irish skin:o

It's not that bad. We have the image of the boiling heat during the Australian Open but that's the height of the summer (and not every summer) so you will be fine. Lots of Australian have a "delicate Irish skin" themselves. Just buy some sunscreen.

Cilla
Feb 16th, 2012, 10:37 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/264rp6b.jpg

4 seasons in a day :oh:

So true :sobbing:

Blazing sunshine one minute, then getting hailed on in extreme wind. The hailstones really hurt :hysteric:

St.Kilda was my favourite part of the city :hearts:

Mine too :inlove: The cake shops...:drool: