PDA

View Full Version : Olympics - biggest tournament of 2012?

StephenUK
Feb 16th, 2012, 09:44 AM
It seems to be that tennis is totally gripped by Olympic fever, at least on the women's tour.

I already commented earlier about its effect - doubles teams forged with Olympic intent (eg Kuznetsova, Zvonareva); changes of nationality (Oprandi), new love for Fed Cup (Williams sisters).

You can see players jockeying for Olympic places already, it's giving a lot a new impetus this year.

The other day Svetlana Kuznetsova won the latest battle in her attempt to save a place in singles by beating arch-rival Maria Kirilenko, who looked to be stealing a march on her.

Angelique Kerber has just transformed and is now in Olympic contention, looks to be pushing someone like Goerges out of the German team.

The results this week at Doha indicate that there are some players around the 50-100 rank who are desperate to push their rankings up and seal an Olympic place eg Halep, K Bondarenko.

It's like 6 months of Olympic qualification action!!! Let's see what happens....

Talula
Feb 16th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Well, it does seem to be getting bigger each time it comes around. Which is good and the aim I suppose.

It'll be quite special this year as I think it will be the last time we see many players at the Olympics, men and women: Roger, the Williams, Kim, Francesca, Svetlana, Marion, even probably Raffa and many others.

Mikey.
Feb 16th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Well, it does seem to be getting bigger each time it comes around. Which is good and the aim I suppose.

It'll be quite special this year as I think it will be the last time we see many players at the Olympics, men and women: Roger, the Williams, Kim, Francesca, Svetlana, Marion, even probably Raffa and many others.

This. It's obviously a pretty significant event for many players (and their fans :p). Even more so considering all the players who will be retiring after it has finished and the fact that it will be held at Wimbledon.

thegreendestiny
Feb 16th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Olympic gold > Rosewater dish :shrug:

Even Dementieva knew it.

Miracle Worker
Feb 16th, 2012, 11:47 AM

:oh:

But it's true that from women we will finally see almost all best players - almost, cause we won't see Marion :sobbing:

FedererBulgaria
Feb 16th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Second Wimbledon...its gonna be great

DemiCrayanhan
Feb 16th, 2012, 11:51 AM
no. ask rafa if he'd rather have his 7th RG or the gold, he'd say RG. same with Fed and Wimby. i imagine kim, venus, serena...practically all of them would prefer to end on a grand slam victory than an olympic gold.

Halepsova
Feb 16th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Not really. Everyone is just dying to participate for once in a lifetime. I don't think gold medal means anything especially if you play for USA, China or Russia.

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 16th, 2012, 01:28 PM
no. ask rafa if he'd rather have his 7th RG or the gold, he'd say RG. same with Fed and Wimby. i imagine kim, venus, serena...practically all of them would prefer to end on a grand slam victory than an olympic gold.

Do you know what? I think you are wrong.

DemiCrayanhan
Feb 16th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Do you know what? I think you are wrong.

it is possible :) after all, i've been wrong before. here's hoping someone flat out asks these guys/girls so know the pecking order for sure.

Mary Cherry.
Feb 16th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Marion :sobbing:

Sammo
Feb 16th, 2012, 02:38 PM
If it wasn't in London, probably :rolleyes:

melodynelson
Feb 16th, 2012, 02:44 PM
For me it's the most exciting. But the biggest tournament is for me always going to be Wimbledon, regardless the year. But the back to back combo of it makes this year even more special, really. RG to Olympics will hopefully produce lots of great matches, especially in such a short span of time.

miffedmax
Feb 16th, 2012, 03:02 PM
http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/elena-dementieva-beijing08.jpg

She has spoken. Therefore, it is so.

SAISAI-GOAT
Feb 16th, 2012, 03:18 PM
for China and Russia for sure it is bigger than a slam :shrug:

dsanders06
Feb 16th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I'm more excited about it than ANY of the Slams for sure, though I'm not going to pretend that's not because it's held in London.

Wiggly
Feb 16th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Nothing beats winning a Gold Medal at Wimbledon.

Chris 84
Feb 16th, 2012, 03:36 PM
im baffled by the voting so far.

the olympics is faaaar from being as important as any grand slam. sure, it might vary from country to country, but slams are what defines you as a tennis player, to a large extent. olympics are nice and everything, but not on the same level.

tbh, the whole olympic lustre is lost on me. drugs cheats prosper in this sport and that sport, the football competition is a mickey mouse one and i have never regarded the tennis competition as anything more than a glorified tier1/2 event.

miffedmax
Feb 16th, 2012, 03:48 PM
im baffled by the voting so far.

the olympics is faaaar from being as important as any grand slam. sure, it might vary from country to country, but slams are what defines you as a tennis player, to a large extent. olympics are nice and everything, but not on the same level.

tbh, the whole olympic lustre is lost on me. drugs cheats prosper in this sport and that sport, the football competition is a mickey mouse one and i have never regarded the tennis competition as anything more than a glorified tier1/2 event.

In her infinite genius, Elena has managed to create 22 fake accounts (so far) without getting caught.

And of course I voted the party line.

jameshazza
Feb 16th, 2012, 03:59 PM
It is 'cus all the big names want it. Masha missed the last one, and she mightn't be quite at the top by the next one comes around. Its obviously the Williams' last OG, and Serena hasn't won it - so he'll want to change that. Also Clijsters has said a few times the the OG will be her last tourney. Though, I'm sure she'll play USO.

Also, it'll be a very unique experience - Wimbledon with colours and sponsorship advertising - when are we ever gonna see that again? Plus, most players and fans favourite slam is Wimbledon so it'll be very nice to have a long grass court season this year.

duhcity
Feb 16th, 2012, 04:01 PM

Let's talk about the best mens player as well, shall we :rolleyes:
Rafa..loves clay..hates Roland Garros. Maybe hate is a strong word, but he is very much aware and hurt by his less than fervent reception there. I'd say he'd take a Wimbledon over the medal, since he already has one.

And Federer? He wants it. wants it BAD. Especially in 08, maybe less now since he has the doubles gold.

Even Venus and Serena probably look to it less because they have gold medals.

At this point, it's not about it being the Olympics. It's about being the Olympics AT the All England Club AT Centre Court. It is on the level of Wimbledon this year - that's what's making this years Olympics so huge.

FedererBulgaria
Feb 16th, 2012, 04:03 PM
It is 'cus all the big names want it. Masha missed the last one, and she mightn't be quite at the top by the next one comes around. Its obviously the Williams' last OG, and Serena hasn't won it - so he'll want to change that. Also Clijsters has said a few times the the OG will be her last tourney. Though, I'm sure she'll play USO.

Also, it'll be a very unique experience - Wimbledon with colours and sponsorship advertising - when are we ever gonna see that again? Plus, most players and fans favourite slam is Wimbledon so it'll be very nice to have a long grass court season this year.

Hell yes....from Pironkova and Grigor fan :lol:

Fighterpova
Feb 16th, 2012, 04:21 PM
It's not the biggest tournament of 2012- Copenhagen is :p

bbjpa
Feb 16th, 2012, 05:05 PM
There was a time Olympics=Amateurish :lol:

$uricate
Feb 16th, 2012, 05:27 PM
The Lena D fans have poisoned the whole board with their nonsense :rolleyes:

miffedmax
Feb 16th, 2012, 05:33 PM
The Lena D fans have poisoned enlightened the whole board with her nonsense holy and ineffable truth. :bowdown:

FIFY.

Setsuna.
Feb 16th, 2012, 05:51 PM
No.

bobito
Feb 16th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Not even close.

faboozadoo15
Feb 16th, 2012, 06:29 PM
It's a tough call. The OG come with all sorts of extra pomp and circumstance that really adds to the prestige. I really believe that many players would rather with Olympic Gold than a major. The OG also seem to get MUCH bigger each time around.

wally1
Feb 16th, 2012, 07:10 PM
At this point, it's not about it being the Olympics. It's about being the Olympics AT the All England Club AT Centre Court. It is on the level of Wimbledon this year - that's what's making this years Olympics so huge.This is certainly a big factor. If the Olympic tennis was being held on a hard court in Stratford (by the Olympic stadium) I don't think people would be as excited.

pov
Feb 16th, 2012, 08:34 PM

That could be true. The thing is that they have 4 chances each year to win a major but only one chance every 4 years to win an Olympic medal.

And another thing is: for example Clijsters - if she wanted to - could play the majors in 2013 but, even if it was her aim, the likelihood of her playing the Olympics in 2016 is very slim.

Betten
Feb 16th, 2012, 08:47 PM
I do think this year's Olympics is something special. The setting, the surface, the players. It'll probably be Serena's last chance to win a singles medal, Clijsters will make her first and last appearance, Venus will say goodbye to the games and even Maria Sharapova will feel some pressure, considering it'll be her debut (and she'll already be 29 when the next Olympics come round).

Lulu.
Feb 16th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Yes.

DemiCrayanhan
Feb 16th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Let's talk about the best mens player as well, shall we :rolleyes:

i only mention the best because i think they could be the only ones possibly weighing olympics heavier. do you really think murray/tsonga/berdych, or hell anyone not named fed/rafa/nole would rather take a gold medal over their first major trophy? same goes for the women i think.

unless fed comes out and says no thanks no17, i'll take the gold (substitute serena and no14), i'm sticking with majors > olympics at any ground.

Gdsimmons
Feb 16th, 2012, 10:25 PM
I think for a lot of the older players its super important. Its Kims first and probably only chance to get a medal. People like Schiavone, Li na and maybe Stosur probably wont be playing once 2016 rolls around. It'll probably be Venus' last major go before calling it quits

SwingVolley93
Feb 16th, 2012, 10:45 PM
When did Kim play Fed Cup? :confused:

Shonami Slam
Feb 16th, 2012, 11:42 PM
the answer will unveal itself only when the tournament is actually held, and we all see if we have a complete list of capable, healthy and fit players

or we have more of the same utter crap going on in all MM events, most Premiers, part of the Mandatories and even the slams at times.

The Kaz
Feb 17th, 2012, 01:36 AM
The Lena D fans have poisoned the whole board with their nonsense :rolleyes:

Coming from someone who an avatar of Hantuchova which a turkey on her head :o

cowsonice
Feb 17th, 2012, 01:54 AM
Yes. Because of the prestige and once-every-4-years occurrence. It's definitely a special and nice thing to win as with any Olympic event.

(it also makes up for the Slam-lessness :sobbing::p)

thegreendestiny
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:28 AM
Last 6 Olympic gold medalists:

Steffi Graf - 1988
Jennifer Capriati - 1992
Lindsay Davenport - 1996
Venus Williams - 2000
Justine Henin - 2004
Elena Dementieva - 2008*

As much as I love Elena:sobbing:, she is the least accomplished of the 6. Besides her, all of them were multiple slam winners and former No.1s

It's funny how posters here forget who the former champs were as if they were some random players who got lucky peaking in a week.

Wiggly
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:30 AM

Steffi Graf - 1988
Jennifer Capriati - 1992
Lindsay Davenport - 1996
Venus Williams - 2000
Justine Henin - 2004
Elena Dementieva - 2008*

As much as I love Elena:sobbing:, she is the least accomplished of the 6. Besides her, all of them were multiple slam winners and former No.1s

It's funny how posters here forget who the former champs were as if they were some random players who got lucky peaking in a week.

Massu and Gonzalez peaked at THE right time and they're both national heroes.

UncleZeke
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:35 AM
Olympic Gold. It will be the biggest tourney, for the winners.

dsanders06
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:41 AM
When did Kim play Fed Cup? :confused:

April 2010 and February 2011.

Steffi Graf - 1988
Jennifer Capriati - 1992
Lindsay Davenport - 1996
Venus Williams - 2000
Justine Henin - 2004
Elena Dementieva - 2008*

For all the people saying the Olympics is a "glorified Tier 2", I challenge them to find ANY non-Slam tournament that has a such a stellar roll of honour as this one.

Buitenzorg
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:11 AM
GS title is WAY BETTER than a gold medal :lol:

Setsuna.
Feb 17th, 2012, 05:40 AM
:lol: @ the poll results. I would take a GS title over a gold medal anyday without even thinking twice. GS >>>>> OG.

Pops Maellard
Feb 17th, 2012, 05:43 AM
I reckon the Olympics will be a mess this year :sobbing:, I predict very random medalists :tears:.

PLP
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:55 AM
I surprised myself and voted yes. :lol:
They are at Wimbledon and everyone wants it, I think it could be the most competitive event of the year.

Maria rocks
Feb 17th, 2012, 10:05 AM
I tried to get tickets for it. But all i got offered was football tickets grrrrr. Anyone got lucky and got tics for the olympic tennis at Wimbledon?

Mary Cherry.
Feb 17th, 2012, 10:23 AM
I tried to get tickets for it. But all i got offered was football tickets grrrrr. Anyone got lucky and got tics for the olympic tennis at Wimbledon?

I think we'll be fighting over them for the resale :lol:

Maria rocks
Feb 17th, 2012, 10:32 AM
I think we'll be fighting over them for the resale :lol:

:lol: Nah im just going to spend the money on an extra day at Wimbledon Grand Slam. Will watch olympics on tv now i think.

Escape
Feb 17th, 2012, 10:43 AM

I've got tickets for court 1 on the first Sunday :)
Also got tickets for the Volleyball as well.

Mary Cherry.
Feb 17th, 2012, 10:56 AM
:lol: Nah im just going to spend the money on an extra day at Wimbledon Grand Slam. Will watch olympics on tv now i think.

I think you might have the right idea there :lol: Accommodation will be impossible to get now anyway.

FleetSeb
Feb 17th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Why would Kerber be pushing Goerges out of the team? I thought all countries got 4 players if they were ranked high enough?

Patrick345
Feb 17th, 2012, 11:36 AM
:lol: Nah im just going to spend the money on an extra day at Wimbledon Grand Slam and hide in a toilet for four weeks afterwards.

:eek::eek:;)

Mistress of Evil
Feb 17th, 2012, 11:43 AM
It is actually, the very last chance for a handful of players to get a medal on their necks. The fact that it is gonna be played at Wimbledon, just enhances its relevance. I pray that this time there will be coverage coz I didn't see a single ball during Beijing, and of course, it was Lenochka's best run ever, got robbed of witnessing it :crying2:

danieln1
Feb 17th, 2012, 11:45 AM
No, the slams are way more important than the Olympics

Olympics might be a little less or equal to the YEC.

Talula
Feb 17th, 2012, 11:53 AM
I think this year is very special, and I agree with others who say that the medals are growing stature with each event. Tennis is still relatively a new sport at the Olympics and I think they mean a lot these days. By having tennis in the Olympics has raised the profile of the sport.

If I were a player who already had a slam title I would rather add an Olympic Gold than another slam.

It was extremely hard to get tickets for the tennis Olympics - easier to get RG ones! Many of the players are saying how much it means to them, Kim came back for the Olympics and Roger was very keen to play with Hingis. I think the players are the best judge as to how important the Olympics are and they see it as very important.

Patrick345
Feb 17th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Obviously it is the most important tournament of the year. Itīs the first and last opportunity for many of the older players to win a singles medal. It is played at freakin Wimbledon, the hallowed ground. Itīs the biggest sporting competition in the world played at the most important venue in tennis. Until the Olympics come to New York, Paris or Melbourne there wonīt even be anything close in comparison.

Itīs unlikely anybody will ever repeat the Golden Slam, but the possibility of winning Wimbledon and the Olympics in a span of four weeks; that has to drive players like Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Serena, Kvitova, Sharapova, Azarenka and anybody else. That is tennis immortality right there.

doktor
Feb 17th, 2012, 12:20 PM
I think the Olympics is becoming more and more coveted in the tennis community, and with both the pending retirements of some of the games greats and the location at Wimbledon this year it could be the most competitive and sought after tournament.

I'm also praying to god that the freshly laid grass plays super fast :oh:

Maria rocks
Feb 17th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I think you might have the right idea there :lol: Accommodation will be impossible to get now anyway.

Well ive already got accomodation booked for first 3 days of Wimbledon and the final weekend. Also got a ladies semi final ticket. So i will prob try and get either a ladies quarters tic or a tic on the first Saturday something like that. :) So to be honest i don't really mind watch the olympics on TV:)

Maria rocks
Feb 17th, 2012, 01:15 PM
:eek::eek:;)

Ha ha

TheHangover
Feb 17th, 2012, 01:41 PM
queen elena gave new shine to og, she refused to win a useless gs