PDA

View Full Version : Doha R2: Stosur takes revenge on Cirstea, wins 6-4 7-6(5)

MarkNL
Feb 15th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Sammy :woohoo:

Great fightback down *5-6 0-30 and down 2-5* in the tiebreak :D

Trih
Feb 15th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Soriiiiiii :crying2:

SilverPersian
SamSam :cheer::banana::bounce:

TheBoiledEgg
Sori :rolleyes: that was a shocking choke in TB :(

Vikapower
Feb 15th, 2012, 06:44 PM
:lol: Sorana played a less strategical match than in Australia -- let Sam see too much FH's especially that one at 5-5.

Anyways I'm pretty satisfied, her game is in place again, she has great on-court positive attitude honestly the future looks good for Sorana in her future tournaments. :D Also she didn't collapse in crucial moments like she would in the past, stayed composed etc... and kept trying promising like I said.

Huntress55
Sam :yeah:

HuHu
http://i41.tinypic.com/16m81g5.jpg

RenaSlam.
Sori, WTH? You should have won this.

Jimmie48
Oh dear Sori...after being 5-3 up in the TB... :hug:

But good level of play overall, she's on track for a very solid year :)

tennis-insomniac
Sam :D I wish she could consistently play like this, that was a great match !

NeKo
Feb 15th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Fantastic match !! I feel sorry for Cirstea, she played probably her best game up to date. Maybe next time.

bbjpa
Feb 15th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Sori, this TB was yours :hysteric:

And 8 aces :eek:

Curcubeu
Feb 15th, 2012, 06:46 PM
2nd major choke this year after that Kerber catastrophe in Horbat and still she plays better than I have seen her for the past 2 years. Makes you thinking.

Please sort it out and do some damage in Monterrey now...

kaetchen
Feb 15th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Sori :hug: good match overall, did very well to break back when Sam was serving for the match.
the loss in the tiebreak after leading 5:2 was :tape:
still a promising start of the year nonetheless. keep that good play.

dsanders06
Feb 15th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Still not convinced by Sam's form...AT ALL, but she's lucky that Cirstea is one of the best match-ups possible for her (leaving aside the mental meltdown in Australia, she thrashed Cirstea in both their other matches).

She's going to have to step it up I think, because Cetkovska's flat-hitting is the type of game that actually can trouble her. Hopefully she can atleast get through that one to get some modicum of momentum going for this season.

Siderophyre
Feb 15th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Excellent match. Great win for Sam, but it shouldn't have ended that way. Both played well and I am impressed Sorana kept up that level. Why the hell is she ranked so low???

donellcarey
Feb 15th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Sori :hug:

gumoll
**5-2 in TB and finished the match with a DF

so what she played good? she lost...

Danars
Great win, Stosur plays much better than in January

eDonkey
Feb 15th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Sam needs a racket that gives her an electric shock when she hits a backhand unforced error. :hysteric:
Today - a good fh, another good fh, a bh in the net. :sobbing:
Still great she could take the tiebreak after trailing 2-5. :)

Sorana :hug:

flareon
Feb 15th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Thank god a seeded player one sam to make semis now...

madmax
Feb 15th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Cirstea had more winners than Stosur:eek: Never knew that her game is so aggressive these days...a bit more consistency wouldn't hurt though, but she surely is back on a right track

Vikapower
Feb 15th, 2012, 06:59 PM
(leaving aside the mental meltdown in Australia, she thrashed Cirstea in both their other matches).

Just saw the WWW where you replied the 2 defeats of Sorana to Stosur to me [...] and in at least in one match Sorana was completely exhausted coming from a marathon against Jelena -- and in the second one she was post-RG slump, these have no significance whatsoever.

Sorana is clearly a bad match up for Stosur -- today it showed in patches and Sorana didn't even play that good of match in terms of strategy and return of serve.

:lol: Well, well -- Sori played very good just not enough clutch when it counted the most -- positive loss. :worship: 8 aces and 6 more winner than UE's, she'd have beaten almost anybody with this. :worship:

Wintermute
Feb 15th, 2012, 07:02 PM
This was really good quality match from both players. I was enjoying it so sad to see Sori unable to capitalise on her lead in the tiebreak. This should have gone to three.

stromatolite
Feb 15th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Excellent match from both players. Over the moon for Sam :cheer:, but can't help feeling a bit sorry for Sori (sori for sori :lol:). But she is back, that's for sure, and her ranking is only going one way and that is up.

Trickle
Feb 15th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Not only did she hit more winners but she hit fewer errors. More aces and just three more DFs. How the hell did she lose the match? Sam won all the important points then.

Gilas.
Feb 15th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Good for the game.

Mr.Sharapova
Feb 15th, 2012, 07:23 PM
NID :yeah:.

Moo_21
Feb 15th, 2012, 07:46 PM
A very good match!

Cirstea's recent form has been very promising and the best I have seen her play in quite sometime. It was a shame she faltered at the ends of the both sets but Stosur did well to close it out in 2 sets.

Theodoropen
Feb 15th, 2012, 09:17 PM
I so wish I could have watched this match!! It sounds like there was some really solid tennis from both players.

Sam managing to win a tight match by getting the big points is exactly what the doctor ordered! Closing out the 2nd set after a bit of a wobble –a great sign for Sam IMO. Yay Sammy!!! :banana: :rocker2:

As for Sori, she’s clearly a player on her way up – it’s time for her ranking to start accurately reflecting her level of play. :hug:

Sammo
Feb 15th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Sori, WTH? You should have won this.

:lol::haha::hysteric::rolls:

Oh dear...

BikezAreForever!
Feb 15th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Well done, Sam!! :bounce: Now win the whole thing, its not Australia, remember!?

Mike81
Feb 15th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Sam fine outside of Australia :p

Tough luck Sori, you're still on your way up :cool:

Charlatan
Feb 15th, 2012, 11:24 PM
thank god, sam :yeah:

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 16th, 2012, 04:24 AM
Nice fight Sammy :bounce:

Brad[le]y.
Feb 16th, 2012, 04:39 AM
Sori, up 5-2 in the TB, you're so fragile :sobbing:

Well done to Sam though, hope she can win some matches here.

Beat
Feb 16th, 2012, 07:49 AM

sorana's stats are better :unsure: 8 aces to stosur's 3? :eek:

i think sam fought really hard to somehow pull this one out. it was an important win and hopefully kickstarts her season. finally.

stromatolite
Feb 16th, 2012, 08:00 AM
sorana's stats are better :unsure: 8 aces to stosur's 3? :eek:

i think sam fought really hard to somehow pull this one out. it was an important win and hopefully kickstarts her season. finally.

The stats don't tell the whole story. Sam was clearly better in the first set. Sori was probably the better player for most of the second set, but Sam was just a bit stronger mentally at the end. As for the stats, number of aces rarely says much about how well Sam is serving, she scores more points off balls that her opponent gets a racquet on but can't control. Same with her forehand, you really need to look at forced errors as well as winners to know how well Sam is hitting the ball. She was really thumping it out there last night. So was Sori, it was a terrific match to watch, and both deserved to go a round further IMO. The good thing is that both should have come off the court feeling good about their games. If Sori can get her ranking up where it belongs we might even get a few more rematches between them this year. That'd be good for the game I think :)

NeKo
Feb 16th, 2012, 08:29 AM
:lol::haha::hysteric::rolls:

Oh dear...

Well, this really could've been possible if Cirstea would've won the second set, she had 5-2 in TB. WTF. Stosur was only mentally stronger. That's what made the difference.

Sammo
Feb 16th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Well, this really could've been possible if Cirstea would've won the second set, she had 5-2 in TB. WTF. Stosur was only mentally stronger. That's what made the difference.

I don't think that Sam was mentally stronger. I mean when you have a game like Sam's and a game like Sorana's, and Sorana still has close matches with her, Sorana obviously believes more in her game than Sam... When Sorana was at her best back in 2009 Stosur used to rutine her easily.

Beat
Feb 16th, 2012, 02:03 PM
The stats don't tell the whole story.

i'm fully aware of that. they almost never do. nevertheless cirstea's stats are very good.

stromatolite
Feb 16th, 2012, 02:14 PM
i'm fully aware of that. they almost never do. nevertheless cirstea's stats are very good.

She played great, and served really really well at key moments (except, unfortunately for her, on MP). If she can keep it up I think she's top 10 material.