PDA

View Full Version : Doha Rnd 2: The 'Magician' Niculescu d. Zvonareva 7-5 3-2 Ret!

flareon
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Another retirement for vera Why play if injured?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyyhx237jf1qbwgwg.gif

She defending champ I understand and I understand the 0 but shes kind of been humiliated being dumped out in round 2 and retiring!

:lol: at that thread how many games will niculescu win :p

SAISAI-GOAT
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:30 PM
the reason Vera played Doha = she did not want a 0 on her ranking :rolleyes:

donellcarey
:facepalm: Vera

GoofyDuck
:sobbing: dammit

Just get better

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Bepa still hurt from last week :( :sad:

plokploky
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:31 PM
:woohoo:so happy for monica. TBH though, she only won 10 games:oh:

Svetlana)))
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:32 PM
When her Doha points come off next week, where will she be ranked?

Bronx19
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Get a spine woman.

Patrick345
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:34 PM

Lower.

Sombrerero loco
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:34 PM
wow junkulescu :worship: unexpected

madmax
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:35 PM
poor Vera...you gotta feel sorry for her

Sombrerero loco
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Lower.

:hysteric:

Curcubeu
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:36 PM
So happy! A great victory for Monica, but gutted for Vera who seems to be far away from her best and injured. Tough weeks for her! :hug:

2 Romanians already in R3 and Sorana still to come, great week for the sport here. :yeah:

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Well quite a few people did predict it. Obviously Vera wasn't 100% and I'm sure that must have contributed to the result. As the match sadly, and quite wrongly I'm my opinion, was not on centre court, despite Vera being the defending champion playing her 1st match and up against a very tough inform opponent, I can't say how much Vera's injury was a factor in the score, and I've no idea how the two played.

I would say, when you are not 100% the last thing in the world you want is to lose your 1st set in 75 minutes of very taxing difficult tennis. And when your opponent is Monica Niculescu who is all too happy to go 3+ hours I can imagine why Vera felt there was a lot of reason to go on.

I hope Vera gets better quickly, she's a nice girl and an attractive player when she is on top of her game.

As for Monica, pleased to see Moni did what she needed to do today and I'm looking forward to her next match, possibly against Flavia who has given Monica nightmares in the past. Given the form of both players, if Monica was ever going to have a competitive match against Flavia now would be the time.

Melange
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Oh wait, the title was not suggesting her to retire?

flareon
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Left hip injury.

Miracle Worker
Monica sliced Vera to the death.

Monica :yeah:

Melange
Get a spine woman.

No its a left hip injury :)

vma
Old Vera again :sad:
Sergey, please come back ASAP
I was never a big fan of Vera but I was amazed by how she enjoyed playing tennis when he coached her, not nice to see her cry :sad:

Mashabator
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Vera probably wouldve won if she wasn't injured :shrug:

Marlene
Left hip injury - new injury or old thing?

Vikapower

4340 or 4345 = #9 rank. Aside Dubaï is not counted in her best of 16. Should stay in the top ten though considering 'dreas situation, Serena part-time + Schiavone who knows what have become of her.

>> It seems like there's going to be a huge gap between the top 4-5 and the rest, mark.

Patrick345
Hip injury. Right up there with back and shoulder to f*** up your career. Zvonareva better take a break already. Her form is shit anyway. I know it probably means missing the Olympics on the strong Russian squad, but so be it.

Melange
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:45 PM
So happy! A great victory for Monica, but gutted for Vera who seems to be far away from her best and injured. Tough weeks for her! :hug:

2 Romanians already in R3 and Sorana still to come, great week for the sport here. :yeah:

Having two coaches at same time was a great idea :lol:

Tomic
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Get well soon Bepa :hug:

Jane Lane
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Bepa :sobbing:

theFutureisNow
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Having two coaches at same time was a great idea :lol:

Especially if one of them was Sergey. :devil:

StoneRose
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Vera should take a break to get rid of any injuries at least, maybe needs to recharge mental batteries as well. This is pointless.

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:55 PM
hip injury when you rely on speed is just a killer blow to a tennis player

C. Drone
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:56 PM
"Magician"? :vomit:

Battiv
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:58 PM
"Magician"? :vomit:

Rivalry between Hungarians and Romanians?? :)

C. Drone
Feb 15th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Rivalry between Hungarians and Romanians?? :)

obviously. :silly:

RenaSlam.
Feb 15th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Bye, Vera. Ugh, Monica wins though.

Six Feet Under
Feb 15th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Kinda expected given their forms. Still not a nice way for monica to win, Vera :hug:

Pvt. Kovalenko
Feb 15th, 2012, 02:31 PM
She needed to stay out of Doha and Dubai. Forget the Ranking, and focus in her health. Physically and Mentally.

BepaMaria's thread :facepalm: That was unnecessary...

scandic78
Feb 15th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Fuck this shit :fiery:

Shadowcat
Feb 15th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Wow, just wow. I don't know what to say.

Mistress of Evil
Feb 15th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Vera is paying the consequences of dumping Sergey, she should have listened to Fransexual and went on get her portion of shagging. :hug: She will be out of TOP 20 within 6 months.

evana
Feb 15th, 2012, 03:52 PM
:facepalm:

dsanders06
Feb 15th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Wow. I knew Zvonareva sucked, but I didn't realise she'd sunk THIS low :tape:

Alwaysfan
Feb 15th, 2012, 05:35 PM
The Demon continues her fatal race...
Please Kateryna, hold the Sacred Sword and kill her!!!
:)

fede33
Feb 15th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Vera :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

young_gunner913
Feb 15th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Zvonareva needs to retire. It's a fucking joke she's supposed to be an "elite" player. :facepalm:

pav
Feb 15th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Wow. I knew Zvonareva sucked, but I didn't realise she'd sunk THIS low :tape:
It is a bit low to injure your hip, but could have been an ankle again that would be lower,better than certain poster, could be a high injury, head:confused:

ivanban
Feb 15th, 2012, 06:46 PM
I knew something like this would happen as soon as I saw thread "how many games will Niculescu win vs. Vera" :sobbing:

eDonkey
Feb 15th, 2012, 07:01 PM
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lynyrmxsxe1qfggsro6_250.gif

A-Bond
Feb 16th, 2012, 04:53 AM
Aww Vera, I hope she'll get better soon. She's really in a strange form right now. I'd love to see the 2008 Vera again, playing very offensive Tennis and being more motivated.

It's even more of a shame that this retirement win comes to the hands of Niculescu, who definitely had enough luck in the past six month. Her ranking is extremely inflated if you consider that she's absolute useless against the top players unless she faces extremely-slump-Na. And with all my love to Kateryna I can't see her beating Monica right now, which means another big QF for this joke of a player.

I was very critical towards Dulgheru when she was successful, but please Tennis gods, give us back Dulgheru and we'll send you Niculescu.

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 16th, 2012, 05:04 AM
Aww Vera, I hope she'll get better soon. She's really in a strange form right now. I'd love to see the 2008 Vera again, playing very offensive Tennis and being more motivated.

It's even more of a shame that this retirement win comes to the hands of Niculescu, who definitely had enough luck in the past six month. Her ranking is extremely inflated if you consider that she's absolute useless against the top players unless she faces extremely-slump-Na. And with all my love to Kateryna I can't see her beating Monica right now, which means another big QF for this joke of a player.I was very critical towards Dulgheru when she was successful, but please Tennis gods, give us back Dulgheru and we'll send you Niculescu.

If Monica Niculescu is a joke of a player where does that leave your favourites Vesnina and Gajdosova? :haha:

For the record, in the last six months, Monica Niculescu has lost exactly 2 matches to players who as of next week are not ranked in the top 20.

A-Bond
Feb 16th, 2012, 05:11 AM
If Monica Niculescu is a joke of a player where does that leave your favourites Vesnina and Gajdosova? :haha:

Well I prefer Vesnina's and Gajdosova's shitfests over a match of Niculescu anytime. At least they lose 1R when playing bad unlike Niculescu who junk- and moonballs into the QFs.

Anyway, I like you in general Shvedbarilescu so let me give you an advice: Enjoy that pusher's success as long as she has it, because as soon as the dumb rest of the WTA has figured out her game she can go back to the 25K-Stage where she belongs to show her club tennis.

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 16th, 2012, 05:16 AM
Well I prefer Vesnina's and Gajdosova's shitfests over a match of Niculescu anytime. At least they lose 1R when playing bad unlike Niculescu who junk- and moonballs into the QFs.

Monica loses 1R when she is playing bad too. Thing is....she is not playing bad right now. If you don't understand that there isn't much I can do to help you.

A-Bond
Feb 16th, 2012, 05:19 AM

For the record, in the last six months, Monica Niculescu has lost exactly 2 matches to players who as of next week are not ranked in the top 20.

Yeah that's basically the key for her success. Beating all lower ranked players and taking advantage of slumping players. That's a good effort, however it doesn't do anything for her if she gets humilitated everytime she faces a decent player like Petkovic or Azarenka. And yeah being bagelled by Chakvetadze and Zheng doesn't help either.

A-Bond
Feb 16th, 2012, 05:24 AM
Monica loses 1R when she is playing bad too. Thing is....she is not playing bad right now. If you don't understand that there isn't much I can do to help you.

She isn't playing bad, you're right. But she isn't playing great either. It takes more than wins over Hampton, Cornet, Parmentier, Gajdosova and Vesnina in order to be a good player. And that's simply what I don't like. Seeing those players taking advantage. The same reason I don't like Wozniacki. I'm also pissed off to see Goerges losing to Zakopalova but when I see her match against Peer, that's just much more exciting for me to watch than Niculescu slicing through scrubs.

But yeah let's agree to disagree, because this is truly leading into nowhere.

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 16th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Yeah that's basically the key for her success. Beating all lower ranked players and taking advantage of slumping players. That's a good effort, however it doesn't do anything for her if she gets humilitated everytime she faces a decent player like Petkovic or Azarenka. And yeah being bagelled by Chakvetadze and Zheng doesn't help either.

Hey. Monica loses matches. Who doesn't.

And yeah she really struggles against Azarenka. Oh? What is Azarenka ranked? Number 1? Damn. How embarrassing. She shouldn't be ranked so high if she can't beat the number 1. Look at any player ranked between 20 and 50 and they all have bad losses sometimes. Using this as a reason a player is no good is ridiculous. Against players ranked 20 to 50 Monica has a pretty good record. Against players ranked in the top 20 she has a less good record. You will find the same holds true of virtually every player ranked in the same region she is. Actually at the moment Monica is playing better, not worse, than most of those ranked around her and I think you know as well as I that she is going to continue to move up because she is continuing to improve.

Shame the same can't be said about any of the players on your fave list.

A-Bond
Feb 16th, 2012, 05:47 AM
Hey. Monica loses matches. Who doesn't.

And yeah she really struggles against Azarenka. Oh? What is Azarenka ranked? Number 1? Damn. How embarrassing. She shouldn't be ranked so high if she can't beat the number 1. Look at any player ranked between 20 and 50 and they all have bad losses sometimes. Using this as a reason a player is no good is ridiculous. Against players ranked 20 to 50 Monica has a pretty good record. Against players ranked in the top 20 she has a less good record. You will find the same holds true of virtually every player ranked in the same region she is. Actually at the moment Monica is playing better, not worse, than most of those ranked around her and I think you know as well as I that she is going to continue to move up because she is continuing to improve.

Shame the same can't be said about any of the players on your fave list.

Yes my faves might me hitting the rock bottom righ now (at least a few of them) but I don't agree about Niculescu improving. I don't see any improvement in her game, it's more that she has a very unique style of play which is difficult for certain players to deal with. But in my opinion, it's the same as it is with Wozniacki, there will come a time where players will figure her out. And in all hate towards Caro, you really can't compare her to Monica. I don't insult her of being humilitated by Azarenka, she's just yet to give a good performance against the Top players. But it's the same reason I don't like players like Medina Garrigues. She might have a nice bunch of titles but she's totally irrelevant as soon as it comes to play the best players in the world.

And the "Shame the same can't be said about any of the players on your fave list": There were also times when Gajdosova and Vesnina were improving and having nice results. However, they have too many lapses in their game to go further, which is why they dropped. And believe me, Niculescu will drop as well. If you really believe that she'll continue to improve then you'll get disappointed. She'll fall down as well. I'm pretty sure she's on her peak right now and it won't get much further from here. But hey, I'm willing to get surprised by her.

And yeah my faves list might be lacking success right now, but yeah call me when Dulgheru wins a match in Bogota.

Beat
Feb 16th, 2012, 07:45 AM

and that is some kind of achievement? :haha:

as a non-fan, i must say: this degrading mockery of niculescu has become rather boring. sure, her pouting and bad moods can be off-putting, but her tennis can be rather entertaining on a good day. and no amount of throwing around tired, old, clichéd words like "junkball" and "moonball" and "pusher" (do people on here even know what they mean?) will change that.

Curcubeu
Feb 16th, 2012, 09:33 AM
It's even more of a shame that this retirement win comes to the hands of Niculescu, who definitely had enough luck in the past six month.

Her ranking is extremely inflated if you consider that she's absolute useless against the top players unless she faces extremely-slump-Na. And with all my love to Kateryna I can't see her beating Monica right now, which means another big QF for this joke of a player.

She was actually very unlucky last year with injuries where she had to withdraw from a lot of tournaments in late spring/early summer, even hurt herself at the AO and still trashed Safarova and made it competitive against Kerber afterwards.

You can't blame her for the other players losing earlier than her, opening up the draw. She most of the time beats the players she has to and has surprisingly a worse record against the top, but on the other hand who hasn't? Not to mention that she played a great match against Kerber in Paris who is virtually a Top 15 player at the moment.
If she is such a joke why can't pumped up K Bond beat her? :lol:

Anyway, I like you in general Shvedbarilescu so let me give you an advice: Enjoy that pusher's success as long as she has it, because as soon as the dumb rest of the WTA has figured out her game she can go back to the 25K-Stage where she belongs to show her club tennis.

Monica also loses R1 when she plays bad like anybody else on the tour surprisingly... :spit:
And for example Niculescu even outwinnered Vesnina, so it's a bit more than 'slicing her way through'

Monica is a defensive player, but she definitely is more than a pusher just keeping the ball in play. Her game is very hard to figure out, that's mainly her success. :lol:

Yeah, those drop- and passing shots from the baseline and lob combinations are so challenger level like, everyone can do that. If it would be that easy you would see more players on the tour with that effective game.

At least she can take advantages from draw that fall apart unlike most other players. And victories against slumping players are for most players their first big scalps of their career, that's how you get on top step by step, only a very few really star rocketed her way to the top.

She had shoulder problems at the beginning of the year. You can read that in her blog and yeah she played very bad there and the wind gave her the rest.

Yes my faves might me hitting the rock bottom righ now (at least a few of them) but I don't agree about Niculescu improving. I don't see any improvement in her game, it's more that she has a very unique style of play which is difficult for certain players to deal with. But in my opinion, it's the same as it is with Wozniacki, there will come a time where players will figure her out.

And in all hate towards Caro, you really can't compare her to Monica. I don't insult her of being humilitated by Azarenka, she's just yet to give a good performance against the Top players. But it's the same reason I don't like players like Medina Garrigues. She might have a nice bunch of titles but she's totally irrelevant as soon as it comes to play the best players in the world.

And the "Shame the same can't be said about any of the players on your fave list": There were also times when Gajdosova and Vesnina were improving and having nice results. However, they have too many lapses in their game to go further, which is why they dropped. And believe me, Niculescu will drop as well. If you really believe that she'll continue to improve then you'll get disappointed. She'll fall down as well. I'm pretty sure she's on her peak right now and it won't get much further from here. But hey, I'm willing to get surprised by her.

And yeah my faves list might be lacking success right now, but yeah call me when Dulgheru wins a match in Bogota.

Wozniacki's game isn't figured out because there is nothing you really have to figure out there. She tries to defend well on the baseline making her opponent hit one more shot, everyone knew it and the main reason for her slump is that she simply hits more UEs herself than in her prime and she isn't able to equalize them with winners. Just have a looks at the stats against Safarova.

But they are big hitters whose games are of course much more instable and prone to slumps than a consistent baseline game like Medina or Vinci who are holding her ranking positions consistently for a while.

No you really can't compare them because Monica has other strengths and weknesses. I guess she already has a better record against Top 20 players than Medina, at least for the last year. As soon as it starts clicking again, they will come back. I know from Sorana how long a way that is to go, but she also seems to regain her form after being completely useless for 2 years.

I agree. Monica didn't improve her game that much. She possessed all her capabilities and variation also at a younger age, but she often chose the wrong shot at the wrong time or was only able to play one good set before vanishing. Now she is able to lift her game when it really matters and play good matches on a consistent base. And when she will fall a bit again, I have no problem with that because it can't get only to the top and one injury break and your ranking is heading downwards again.

She will come back as well. Be sure of that. I'll call you. :lol:

Juju Nostalgique
Feb 16th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Congrats Nics!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Vera :hug:

ElusiveChanteuse
Feb 16th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Bepa :facepalm: