PDA

View Full Version : Evert explains how to stop the grunting

mac47
Feb 14th, 2012, 11:58 PM
From tennis.com (http://m.tennis.com/19298/show/6851f939b348d7a53440ced066fbf4c9&t=af16132ec8426c78d85e1938a8a289ee):

Chris Evert tells the London Times that she is no fan of grunting. "I'd like not to hear it," the 18-time Grand Slam champion said. "If a player shows up, plays one point and says, 'Can I have the referee because it is a hindrance,' it would stop. I had a habit where, if my first serve went in, I would drop the second ball back along the ground and Billie Jean [King] said if I did it again, she'd stop play because it was rolling in her line of sight. I did it, she stopped play and complained and that started the ball tucked in the pants. Someone's got to put the heat on."

This is precisely right, and it is what I have always said. The opponents of shrieking players need to step up and make it stop. The current #1 and #2 have also both made it clear that they have no intention of stopping the noise unless someone forces them, with Sharapova snidely remarking that "No one important enough has asked me to stop" and Azarenka saying outright that she won't stop.

I want to see some journeywoman bite the bullet and demand that the chair do something after the first point. Then we can all look forward to a bitchy post-match interview from the shrieker who loses a bunch of points from hindrance calls.

Sadly, I fear the current tour players are mostly either current or former shriekers themselves or else too nice to complain. We need someone who doesn't care about what Pova and Toria think of her.

danieln1
Feb 15th, 2012, 12:24 AM
Aravene complained to.the umpire and he said nothing could be done to.stop De Brito screaming

mac47
Feb 15th, 2012, 12:26 AM
True. Maybe it's hopeless, then. Or perhaps it depends on the umpire.

Jeff
Feb 15th, 2012, 12:50 AM
Grunting is quite often considered a hindrance in juniors and at the college level, but not in the pros. I doubt this will change.

moby
Feb 15th, 2012, 12:55 AM
Only if we can also stop KvittyGOAT's bark.

Morning Morgan
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:13 AM

The bark is never during play. Fail.

Wiggly
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:44 AM
Azarenka complained about the crowd making too much noise in Australia. Le ridicule ne tue pas.

All the players are too busy finding a new BFF and to be successful off-court, you have to be as beige as possible.

Azarenka and Sharapova are bad but not as bad as some player who randomly screams on some shots.
Quiet, quiet, quiet, ahhhhh, ahhhh, quiet, quiet, dumps it in the net. That should be illegal.

The girls who say they're too focused to hear it aren't fooling anyone. If you can hear the "OUT" call, you can hear Sharapova.

mauresmofan
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:48 AM
Interesting reading that Billie Jean changed that aspect of the game and it desperately needs to be done it's absolutely ridiculous and it's out and out gamesmanship nothing else. Martinez Sanchez and Kuzzy making noises when they felt like it during their match yesterday.

miffedmax
Feb 15th, 2012, 02:33 AM
Grunting is quite often considered a hindrance in juniors and at the college level, but not in the pros. I doubt this will change.

This.

marineblue
Feb 15th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Azarenka complained about the crowd making too much noise in Australia. Le ridicule ne tue pas.

All the players are too busy finding a new BFF and to be successful off-court, you have to be as beige as possible.

Azarenka and Sharapova are bad but not as bad as some player who randomly screams on some shots.
Quiet, quiet, quiet, ahhhhh, ahhhh, quiet, quiet, dumps it in the net. That should be illegal.

The girls who say they're too focused to hear it aren't fooling anyone. If you can hear the "OUT" call, you can hear Sharapova.

The girl has no shame :tape:

Yoncé
Feb 15th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Or maybe people complaining about it get it over and focus their time and energy on something worth while.

Marlene
Feb 15th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Azarenka complained about the crowd making too much noise in Australia.

No, she didn't.

Michael*
Feb 15th, 2012, 07:29 AM
http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbview_approve/10374675/2/stock-photo-10374675-mouth-gag.jpg

stromatolite
Feb 15th, 2012, 08:33 AM
It's a nice idea in theory, but in practice I can't see it happening. The first player to try this in a match against a well-known grunter will be crucified.

doujyr
Feb 15th, 2012, 09:10 AM
very interesting story about bjk and how that changed the practice.

Andy.
Feb 15th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Or maybe people complaining about it get it over it and focus their time and energy on something worth while.
Thank you!

Sam L
Feb 15th, 2012, 09:34 AM
No one has won a match because of grunting. But players have lost matches because they weren't grunting like they normally do.

You can't tell a grown up to stop doing something they've been naturally doing all their life and still be able to compete.

Those who are complaining about grunting are the real cheaters who are envious that their favourites cannot beat others so they must complain and detract until the others lose their concentration and will to be competitive in a match.

That's cheating and that's what needs to stop.

young_gunner913
Feb 15th, 2012, 09:36 AM

This times a million.

Maria rocks
Feb 15th, 2012, 10:35 AM
I have no problem with grunting.

Papillon.
Feb 15th, 2012, 10:40 AM
No, she didn't.

Yes she did.

TennisFan66
Feb 15th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Those who are complaining about grunting are the real cheaters

I cannot decipher if you're trying be humerous or serious .. #gruntingischeating

Miracle Worker
Feb 15th, 2012, 10:55 AM

It's not bark. She just screams something like come on! in her language. But she does it using falsetto, so you think it's bark.

And she just shouts come on! like most of players do.

Juju Nostalgique
Feb 15th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Sure?

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/mobile-phone-texting-autocorrect-autocowrecks-we-need-an-app-for-that.jpg

MM_1257
Feb 15th, 2012, 11:10 AM
It is interesting how people (media, ex players, audience) always have to speak about Azarenka and Sharapova, like they are the only ones who grunt. They are not; Kirilenko grunts, Kuznetsova, Ana, Andrea Petkovic, Bojana Jovanovski, both of the Williams sisters, Schiavone, Penetta, Zvonareva, Safina did and so on and on and on... And I find some of these grunts, for example Andrea's and Bojana's way more annoying than Sharapova's or Azarenka's.
And yes, I find Kvitova's POJD (come on) very annoying too, because it does sound like a bark, I burst into laughter every time she says it... So to each his own I guess. :shrug:

Rest Maria!
Feb 15th, 2012, 11:10 AM
It's not bark. She just screams something like come on! in her language. But she does it using falsetto, so you think it's bark.

And she just shouts come on! like most of players do.

I've yet to hear Petra screaming "pojd" after her opponent's UE, which is not unfrequent in Wozniacki's or Sharapova's case.:angel: (replace pojd with kaman or c'mon)

And I agree with Evert, if players started complaining about ridiculously loud shrieking en masse then I'm sure umpires and WTA would give in eventually.

Break My Rapture
Feb 15th, 2012, 11:12 AM
People should put themselves in an umpire's place for a second. What if a player starts to complain about the grunting, what on earth is the umpire supposed to do but wave it off? He can't start giving point penalties everywhere because of the noise.

I actually think that if this lame discussion escalates and excessive rules are made, women's tennis could become even more of a mess. Mess as in chaos.

Sam L
Feb 15th, 2012, 11:23 AM
I cannot decipher if you're trying be humerous or serious .. #gruntingischeating
For something to be "cheating" it must be an action that offers some kind of advantage.

For example, if Caroline Wozniacki started grunting, she's still not going to win any slams with that weak ass forehand and overall game of hers.

If it were a real game changer, players would've been complaining years ago. Men and women grunt. This isn't an amateur sport, it's a multi million dollar prizemoney sport. People will not let such an advantage happen.

It's only when hags like Tauziat who couldn't hack it that they weren't good enough start to complain (not about grunting but about the fact that they were losing), it ever becomes an issue.

And the oh so sensitive public who wants to create headlines. Why is this never an issue for the men? The Djokovic-Nadal match was so loud!

Chrissie-fan
Feb 15th, 2012, 11:27 AM
I'm not a big fan of grunting, but when I'm watching a match on the telly and the commentators keep going on about it I find them more annoying than the grunters themselves. Before the AO final the commentators on Eurosport said, "much has been said about the grunting. I hope we can let the tennis do the talking for a change.".....Guess who couldn't resist bringing up the grunting every couple of minutes or so all through the match.:rolleyes:

I don't like grunting, but once the match gets going I try not to pay too much attention to it. But many commentators make that impossible and it seems as though they are programmed to condition viewers into disliking it even more than they already do, or try to make those who couldn't care less hate it at any cost.

MM_1257
Feb 15th, 2012, 11:36 AM
oh, someone mentioned Caro, she does produce some sound, too, maybe not as loud as Maria or Vika, but... :oh: And YESSS! MEN! I find Ferrer's grunt so annyoing sometimes, and I like the guy. Then I cannot stand Djokovic's. And Rafael grunts, Verdasco, Tipsarevic, Delpotro... C'mon, men's tennis is full of it! And yet they find it annoying on the WTA? :rolleyes: Give me a break. I assume most of those who complain are people who think of bed activities all the time? :angel: :oh: I find it more annoying all this writing and complaining about it than the people who grunt on court. I am used to it. I can watch tennis without even noticing it if the match is interesting.

Chrissie-fan
Feb 15th, 2012, 11:40 AM
For something to be "cheating" it must be an action that offers some kind of advantage.

For example, if Caroline Wozniacki started grunting, she's still not going to win any slams with that weak ass forehand and overall game of hers.

The issue is not whether someone plays better or worse while grunting but whether it's a hindrance to her/his opponent. I'm undecided one way or the other, but that's what this topic is supposed to be about - not Wozniacki's forehand.

stromatolite
Feb 15th, 2012, 11:44 AM
"I personally don't mind grunting, therefore it's not a problem" is an argument we've heard before (many times). "I personally don't mind grunting, therefore people who complain about grunting are the real cheats" is a new one. I suppose that's progress of a sort.:shrug:

doujyr
Feb 15th, 2012, 11:47 AM
It is interesting how people (media, ex players, audience) always have to speak about Azarenka and Sharapova, like they are the only ones who grunt. They are not; Kirilenko grunts, Kuznetsova, Ana, Andrea Petkovic, Bojana Jovanovski, both of the Williams sisters, Schiavone, Penetta, Zvonareva, Safina did and so on and on and on... And I find some of these grunts, for example Andrea's and Bojana's way more annoying than Sharapova's or Azarenka's.
And yes, I find Kvitova's POJD (come on) very annoying too, because it does sound like a bark, I burst into laughter every time she says it... So to each his own I guess. :shrug:

the complication is that there's grunts and there's grunts! :lol:

i don't think anyone minds a short grunt/shriek on hitting the ball.
different matter for a long wail that continues so long that it's still going when the opponent is hitting her shot!

also there's the matter of the pitch of the noise and the decibels. it's simple physics that a higher pitched shriek requires less energy to prodcue more decibels, so it's much more irritating than the same energy but lower decibels of a grunt.

Patrick345
Feb 15th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Yeah and if Jarko Nieminen complained about Nadal grunting and taking 45 seconds between points the ATP would disqualify him after two games....oh look....

http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/32500/Flying-Elephant-Traffic-Sign-32627.jpg

Steven.
Feb 15th, 2012, 12:20 PM
No, she didn't.

Actually, she did during one of the day matches. The crowd started booing the fuck out of her :o

Talula
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Wimbledon actually did stop Monica in 1991, but they have done nothing since.

When the top 2 players are screamers I can't see the WTA doing anything.

Then again, how many players actually shriek and howl like Maria and Vika? How big a problem is it actually?

Talula
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:33 PM

I forgot about Schiavone. I find hers the most offensive - it's like a bricklayer having a really big painful sh&t!!

Bronx19
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:37 PM
No, she didn't.

Yes she did. She spoke to the umpire who then told the crowd to be quiet.

pwayne
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Aravene complained to.the umpire and he said nothing could be done to.stop De Brito screaming

Was that the famous Larcher De Brito quote about Sharapova when Rezai complained?

Mashabator
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:45 PM
People need to get over the grunting :facepalm: i like the grunting and it doesnt bother me at all.

pattyclijsters
Feb 15th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Difficult topic this noise stuff. I personally like it, as it adds (at least for me) to the excitement of a match.

Well. Screaming/grunting/etc shouldn't be done, if it is used to distract your opponent. I think we all agree on it. A player who only screams to win, is tennis wise inferior.

BUT we can not differ between purposed and unpurposed screaming. We have to believe what the players tell us. Out of fairness they shouldn't do it to distract. If we lived in a perfect world, screaming would be accepted, as nobody suspected anybody of trying to cheat, and just accepts grunting/screaming/whistling/singing/tap dancing while playing as part of the others game. I am not taking the side of the screamers here, because some grunting (namely Golovin vs Smashnova http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOdiE5k0Qk4#t=1m55s ) to me clearly was to distract.

Appeal to the players hono(u)r. But we are not living in a perfect world.

Kipling
Feb 15th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Was that the famous Larcher De Brito quote about Sharapova when Rezai complained?

De Brito: Would you tell Sharapova to shut up?

Rezai: I did tell Sharapova to shut up.

Pova's composed enough that she can handle complaints about it--she'd just turn around and do her meditation business with the wall. De Brito stuck her tongue out at Aravane--really mature.

tonybotz
Feb 15th, 2012, 02:52 PM
doesn't she have a man to steal? and then lose? :oh:

Lucemferre
Feb 15th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Umpires can't even apply existing rules regarding time violation. One warning and then nothing. If it's easy to give a warning for coaching and even fine the player afterwards why can't they be more strict and slap time wasters with a point penalty or even game? There is a rule but nobody cares and then we call a match greatest of all time!!!111! for being long because the players can't start a point. You can literally go make a coffee between points and not miss a thing these days. What I mean is that if it's up to the umpires, forget it.

Sammo
Feb 15th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Just go to hell Chris.

VeeJJ
Feb 15th, 2012, 04:25 PM
I think that stopping grunting would bring more fans to tennis.

Trickle
Feb 15th, 2012, 04:25 PM
I forgot about Schiavone. I find hers the most offensive - it's like a bricklayer having a really big painful sh&t!!

:happy:

Lulu.
Feb 15th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Or maybe people complaining about it get it over and focus their time and energy on something worth while.

This.

Dominic
Feb 15th, 2012, 04:33 PM

:worship::worship::worship:

faboozadoo15
Feb 15th, 2012, 05:18 PM
This is such a tired topic. People used it to try to take Monica down, and now it's a huge issue because Vika and Maria are 1 and 2.

Just offhand, Seles had grunting contemporaries in Sabatini and Capriati.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j6dC7ZYVG8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZZttK-zWd4

Everyone focused on Monica because she was winning everything in sight.

Nowadays many of the players grunt, and some are never criticized-- Schiavone, BoJJ, Dementieva, Safina, Venus, Serena just to name very few.

The men aren't immune to this either...

Break My Rapture
Feb 15th, 2012, 05:30 PM
:crying2:

Kairi
Feb 15th, 2012, 05:38 PM
how about she buy some fucking earplugs and shut up about it..ok?..ok...honestly :rolleyes: shouldn't she be stealing another man or something? :rolleyes:

Apoleb
Feb 15th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Can people stop complaining about people complaining about grunting?

If you don't like it, just shut up and find something useful in your lives. :yawn:

JamieOwen3
Feb 15th, 2012, 05:56 PM
well Maria HAS ALWAYS done it so fuck all the haterz straight to hell :fiery:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3H4QH3lD5A
so pissed off with this topic

ivanban
Feb 15th, 2012, 06:43 PM
No one has won a match because of grunting. But players have lost matches because they weren't grunting like they normally do.

You can't tell a grown up to stop doing something they've been naturally doing all their life and still be able to compete.

Those who are complaining about grunting are the real cheaters who are envious that their favourites cannot beat others so they must complain and detract until the others lose their concentration and will to be competitive in a match.

That's cheating and that's what needs to stop.

So, how do you explain the fact that, for example, Azarenka didn't scream/grunt while she was competing as junior or that so many girls don't scream/grunt during practice?!!!

mac47
Feb 15th, 2012, 09:24 PM
No, there's nothing unfair about requiring the screamers (it is not grunting) to stop. The fact that they have done it for a long time is their fault, and they can change. And the game will be better for it.

The only people who get pissed at anti-grunting threads are fans of the screamers, who think they can do no wrong.

Wimbledon9
Feb 15th, 2012, 10:43 PM
There have been players complaining to the umpire years ago and you know what happened the player who complained was the bad ass with the spectators and the press.
This is not at all something knew from Chris she is years behind. By the way Petra Kvitova barked less during her Australian tournaments did not you notice it.

Passierschlag
Mar 11th, 2012, 12:47 PM
The grunting doesn't bother me, with certain players I would positively miss it.