PDA

View Full Version : Azarenka Golden Slam? Why isn't everybody all over this?

stromatolite
Feb 14th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Monday February 13, 2012 - 7:59 AM

After Aussie Open win, Azarenka already thinking about 'Golden Slam'

CBSSports.com wire reports

DOHA, Qatar -- With the No. 1 ranking and her first major title secured, Victoria Azarenka is already thinking about the "Golden Slam."

The 22-year-old Belarussian, who won the Australia Open last month, still has a long way to go, but the London Olympics is high on her wish list.

"That's everybody's dream to achieve, but, I mean, it's a very difficult task," said Azarenka, who will put her 12-0 record on the line this week at the Qatar Open. "But I definitely am going to have the mentality to try to do that."

Heading into this week's tournament, Azarenka is preparing to be the player everyone else wants to beat.

"There's going to be extra motivation (for others), but for me it's kind of exciting that every time I have to step on the court I have tougher task to handle," she said. "So I worked really hard to be at this position, so, you know, I have to deal with it now."

I don't get it. Why isn't everybody jumping all over this? For the record, I think this is non-news, just a reaction to predictable questions by journalists. But if Woz or Masha, or I suspect even Petra, had made comparable remarks the fanboys and haters would have been at each other's throats within minutes. As it is this article has been out for half a day or more and nobody is taking any notice. Is Vika that irrelevant?:confused:

Lord Choc Ice
Feb 14th, 2012, 10:10 AM
She said she's gonna try, like all slam winners do. I don't see why there's any need to be 'all over this'.

A Magicman
Feb 14th, 2012, 10:10 AM
That thinking will be over by the next GS.

stromatolite
Feb 14th, 2012, 10:19 AM
She said she's gonna try, like all slam winners do. I don't see why there's any need to be 'all over this'.

Even if it is just a response to a question by a journalist, taken at face value this is without a doubt the most outrageous claim I've seen any player make in years. Even Serena rarely says stuff like this anymore. You don't think it's strange that nobody has felt the need to respond to this?

tejmeglekvár
Feb 14th, 2012, 10:20 AM
good luck. I´ll bow down even if she wins 2nd. :kiss:
Didnt she say something like "I have to play as the #2" before FED cup? That was way more funny. :lol:

yeah, because people jumping on Woz throat whatever she said never happened. Hypocrite ponies everywhere. :spit:

Betten
Feb 14th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Even if it is just a response to a question by a journalist, taken at face value this is without a doubt the most outrageous claim I've seen any player make in years. Even Serena rarely says stuff like this anymore. You don't think it's strange that nobody has felt the need to respond to this?

Because they, unlike you, are mature enough to know that this quote is meaningless?

:rolleyes:

Gilas.
Feb 14th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Do it girl! :cheer:

stromatolite
Feb 14th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Because they, unlike you, are mature enough to know that this quote is meaningless?

You missed my point. I already said that I thought it was non-news. My point is that countless other players have been crucified here for making far more modest claims. Woz in particular cops it: every time she says anything at all the haters are clamoring to twist it around and make her look stupid. What do you think would have happened if she had said something like this (I know, she would have had to win the AO first, but you get the point I think)?

Coconut91
Feb 14th, 2012, 10:32 AM

What? :confused: She was asked and she merely said it was very difficult but nonetheless has to have the mentality to try it. How is it outrageous in any way? :lol: Of course she has to try and aspire to achieve the most possible, like everyone else. She didn't imply she was going to achieve it or even get near there :confused:

SilverPersian
Feb 14th, 2012, 10:35 AM
I seem to remember three or four topics created during the off-season that were all about posters scoffing at people having the gall to say something optimistic about Stosur's prospects for the upcoming year, so yeah it does seem a bit unfair. But that's pretty standard for GM, isn't it? :shrug:

stromatolite
Feb 14th, 2012, 10:36 AM
What? :confused: She was asked and she merely said it was very difficult but nonetheless has to have the mentality to try it. How is it outrageous in any way? :lol: Of course she has to try and aspire to achieve the most possible, like everyone else. She didn't imply she was going to achieve it or even get near there :confused:

Like I said above, I don't think she actually said anything outrageous. But what she was presented as saying (that she seriously aspires to winning the golden slam) is pretty outrageous. When journalists put words like that in (e.g.) Woz's mouth she is crucified. Why the double standard?

Siderophyre

Last time I checked this is GM. Has this forum ever been accused of being mature? Frankly I wondered the same thing as the OP. If Stosur had said that after winning the the US Open people in here would have been laughing their arses off and calling her deluded.

I have another explanation for the lack of reaction - maybe it's because people think there's an outside chance that she could actually pull it off.

Betten
Everyone knows this boards an irrational hatred against Wozniacki, and pointing these discrepancies out isn't going to change that (since the hate was irrational to begin with). As a Wozniacki fan, I wouldn't even care anymore. Tennis is played on a court, not on an internet forum.

stromatolite
Feb 14th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Last time I checked this is GM. Has this forum ever been accused of being mature? Frankly I wondered the same thing as the OP. If Stosur had said that after winning the the US Open people in here would have been laughing their arses off and calling her deluded.

I have another explanation for the lack of reaction - maybe it's because people think there's an outside chance that she could actually pull it off.

Why don't you start a "Vika will win the golden slam" thread and see how many people agree with you? (better you than me:lol:)

Siderophyre
Feb 14th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Why don't you start a "Vika will win the golden slam" thread and see how many people agree with you? (better you than me:lol:)

I was hoping to get a reaction from that! :devil:

Galang
Feb 14th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Because it's not going to happen

jrm
Feb 14th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Based on what?

Miracle Worker
Feb 14th, 2012, 11:45 AM
ok.

danieln1
Feb 14th, 2012, 11:45 AM
And then she'll be the first player since Graf, and the only other one, to achieve this???

The last person to win the 4 majors in a row was the greatest player of our time, Serena.

I think it's more reasonable to see Davenport or Hingis coming back from retirement and win Roland Garros then Azarenka winning the Golden Slam. Those stupid journalist questions :rolleyes:

Tennisation
Feb 14th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Seriously??? Stop trying to stir up shit. If you were the #1 player in the world who had just won the first slam of the year, and was asked about the prospect of winning the golden slam, what are you gonna say? "Oh, that's impossible, I can't do it"? It was an honest answer in my opinion.

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 14th, 2012, 12:33 PM
they have to ask Vika- all she said was she will try (who wouldnt ?)
its not like they can ask the Q to anyone else can they :rolleyes:

Israel
Feb 14th, 2012, 12:36 PM
It's okay grand slam winners usually become dellusional like Stosur did after the US Open. She actually thought she could so some damage in the AO :lol:

stromatolite
Feb 14th, 2012, 01:00 PM
they have to ask Vika- all she said was she will try (who wouldnt ?)
its not like they can ask the Q to anyone else can they :rolleyes:

It's okay grand slam winners usually become dellusional like Stosur did after the US Open. She actually thought she could so some damage in the AO :lol:

:lol: at all the shoulder shrugging going on around here. If you've got a spare day or so you can read through the thousands of posts from people LTFAO at Sam and her team suggesting she might have a shot at the AO, even though they were also "just answering journalists questions". Not to mention all the threads about Woz that weren't even based on what she said, but on some extremely forced interpretation by the OP about what somebody really meant when they made some obscure reference to her in an interview. And now suddenly everybody's going all :angel: and :rolleyes: because poor Vika's "just answering a question"? You people crack me up.:smash::silly:

Patrick345
Feb 14th, 2012, 02:09 PM
I know what he´s trying to say. He´s upset that Azarenka doesn´t have enough proper haters. :lol: Usually, on such a standard answer, you still get a few comments like: Bitch, you are lucky to have one.

It´s probably because Clijsters fans are at ease, Radwanska fans have to focus on Sharapova, and Sharapova fans have moved onto Kerber. :lol:

stromatolite
Feb 14th, 2012, 02:29 PM
^:lol: No I don't want people to hate Vika, really, in fact I'm happy for her that she's not being attacked for this. I just wonder what her secret is.

Sammo
Feb 14th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Because it's so not ****ing happening.

miffedmax
Feb 14th, 2012, 03:50 PM
People hate Vika for what she does oncourt, not offcourt.

Also, it takes time to build up a cadre of haters. Caro actually used to be fairly popular when she first came on the scene.

Give them time, and
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/053/897/THEPLAYERHATERS.jpg
shall emerge.*

*just to be clear, this is a tribute to the comedic genius of Dave Chapelle, not an implication of any sort about who the haters in GM are.

donellcarey
Feb 14th, 2012, 03:52 PM
:facepalm:

But well, there's no wrong of being ambitious.

stromatolite
Feb 14th, 2012, 04:01 PM
People hate Vika for what she does oncourt, not offcourt.

Also, it takes time to build up a cadre of haters. Caro actually used to be fairly popular when she first came on the scene.

Give them time, and
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/053/897/THEPLAYERHATERS.jpg
shall emerge.*

*just to be clear, this is a tribute to the comedic genius of Dave Chapelle, not an implication of any sort about who the haters in GM are.

I hope you're wrong, but you're probably not. Great pic btw :)

nfl46
Feb 14th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I'll take it more serious IF she wins the French, then we can talk about a Golden Slam. As of right now, she's no different than the rest of the 1-time Grand Slam winners in the previous few GS events that took placed.

Sha_ra_po_va
Feb 14th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Well, she's sure as hell the only female player who can do it this year!:lol:
Good luck to her...if she gets 3/5 of the way there, I might actually take an interest.

Capriati Rules
Feb 14th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Everyone knows this boards an irrational hatred against Wozniacki, and pointing these discrepancies out isn't going to change that (since the hate was irrational to begin with). As a Wozniacki fan, I wouldn't even care anymore. Tennis is played on a court, not on an internet forum.

There is nothing irrational about hating a player without a killer instinct that doesn't have enough backbone to hit a winner to the open court when she has the chance...even my mom watched her once and said "she's number 1? I could do what she's doing"...during one of her infamous lobfest rallies in brussels last year...good riddance sunshine

Azarenka goal for 2012 is clearly to be delusional...but hey it got her to #1 and won her a slam...guess it works for her?

mac47
Feb 14th, 2012, 04:31 PM
I know what he´s trying to say. He´s upset that Azarenka doesn´t have enough proper haters. :lol: Usually, on such a standard answer, you still get a few comments like: Bitch, you are lucky to have one.

It´s probably because Clijsters fans are at ease, Radwanska fans have to focus on Sharapova, and Sharapova fans have moved onto Kerber. :lol:

And Kvitova fans know it's a matter of time before Vika becomes Petra's punchbag, so they're not pressed at all.

pov
Feb 14th, 2012, 06:18 PM
First it wasn't a "claim" and second it wasn't outrageous. A standard answer IMO.

Hurley
Feb 14th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Even Serena rarely says stuff like this anymore.

Because Serena never could. :shrug:

The only people who could have said this during Serena's career are Davenport in 2000, Henin in 2004, and Sharapova in 2008, because they were the only people in that timeframe to win the Australian Open in an Olympic year.

And I'm POSITIVE at least the last two were definitely asked about the possibility before they screwed everything up at the French. And then The End.

Duh.

stromatolite
Feb 14th, 2012, 06:57 PM
First it wasn't a "claim" and second it wasn't outrageous. A standard answer IMO.

I'm not sure how many disclaimers I need to issue to make clear that I'm not criticizing Vika for this, but I'll give it another try.

Yes, it was a standard answer to a leading question by a journalist, I've said as much all along. Vika has done nothing wrong here, any more than it was any actual wrongdoing by Caroline Wozniacki, Sam Stosur and others that led to countless hatefilled threads that have been launched against them. All those girls did was to say something to the effect that they thought they deserved to be #1, had a decent chance of winning a slam, etc., like Vika in response to leading questions by journalists. Compared to those "claims", the "claim" that a player who has just won her first slam title could legitimately already be even thinking about attempting the golden slam is pretty outrageous IMO.

The fact that the "claims" in all cases were basically fabricated by the journalist in question has so far never been a barrier to a hate-filled troll starting a thread and countless other trolls jumping on the bandwagon. Now suddenly everybody is coming on all pious and saying that Vika's done nothing wrong. Of course she's done nothing wrong, but where were you all when the shit being hurled at Caro, Sam and others was caked three feet thick on the walls?

young_gunner913
Feb 14th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Because Queen Bethanie's Mixed Doubles Golden Slam shot is MUCH bigger news. :hearts:

backhandsmash
Feb 14th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Because she's the darling of the month in GM? Just you wait, this will come back to haunt her every results thread when she hits a bad patch. Plus the fact that she's the only possible Golden Slam winner of course.

Stonerpova
Feb 14th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Misleading article title. But I love how someone is finally stepping up with the confidence and the game to make comments like this and you guys give her shit. It's literally impossible to win here.

Tennisfan06
Feb 14th, 2012, 07:12 PM
She can do it :shrug:

Stevecw
Feb 14th, 2012, 07:27 PM
She hasn't a hope. Reckon the AO will be only one she wins. The "Golden Slam" dream will be ended in Paris :)

faboozadoo15
Feb 14th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Well, she's sure as hell the only female player who can do it this year!:lol:
Good luck to her...if she gets 3/5 of the way there, I might actually take an interest.

I agree.

Who wouldn't say they'd try their best? It's obviously nearly impossible, but she's the only player with even the most remote chance.

What do you expect her to say? "Well I obviously don't plan on winning Wimbledon or Roland Garros, but ask me again at the Olympics."

miffedmax
Feb 14th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Oh, I've been biting my tongue, but it's so damn obvious.

1. Vika is a member of the Legion of Blondes.

2. The Legion of Blondes is INVINCIBLE.

http://frogsmoke.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/paris%20burning.jpg

http://www.brooklynmachineworks.com/site/images/london.jpg

http://www.ezraysnet.co.uk/bhaa/LondonBurningBW.jpg

http://cdn1.spiegel.de/images/image-129458-panoV9-xbbm.jpg

All of your slams are belong to us!

young_gunner913
Feb 14th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Oh, I've been biting my tongue, but it's so damn obvious.

1. Vika is a member of the Legion of Blondes.

2. The Legion of Blondes is INVINCIBLE.

http://frogsmoke.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/paris%20burning.jpg

http://www.brooklynmachineworks.com/site/images/london.jpg

http://www.ezraysnet.co.uk/bhaa/LondonBurningBW.jpg

http://cdn1.spiegel.de/images/image-129458-panoV9-xbbm.jpg

All of your slams are belong to us!

This seems like terrorist threats. :eek:

miffedmax
Feb 14th, 2012, 08:45 PM
A full-scale frontal assault that pillages and plunders your feeble defenses is hardly terrorism.

You know the LOB is coming. Meekly surrender to the inevitable or accept the alternative-complete destruction.

(Plus Queen Beth's mixed doubles golden slam will be part of the trail of carnage).

young_gunner913
Feb 14th, 2012, 08:56 PM
A full-scale frontal assault that pillages and plunders your feeble defenses is hardly terrorism.

You know the LOB is coming. Meekly surrender to the inevitable or accept the alternative-complete destruction.

(Plus Queen Beth's mixed doubles golden slam will be part of the trail of carnage).

You had me at assauting, pillaging and plundering. :hearts:

Break My Rapture
Feb 14th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Misleading article title.
I was thinking the exact same thing. She's talking more about the Olympics than the Golden Slam in her answer.

Charlatan
Feb 15th, 2012, 12:29 AM
Great rhetorical question, exposing the hypocrisies of some of those fan boys/girls on TF

I can imagine all these same people jumping off to this thread and pointing their finger had this been said by Wozzy or Masha or Petra.

Charlatan
Feb 15th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Seriously??? Stop trying to stir up shit. If you were the #1 player in the world who had just won the first slam of the year, and was asked about the prospect of winning the golden slam, what are you gonna say? "Oh, that's impossible, I can't do it"? It was an honest answer in my opinion.

look who's talking

mac47
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:30 AM
I want to know why Kvitty is excluded from membership in the LOB. Is she not blonde enough? Too nice? What gives, miffed max?

miffedmax
Feb 15th, 2012, 03:35 AM
I don't know. It would just be such bandwagon jumping. I actually like Petra allright, but she keeps pounding on Vika.

Towanda
Feb 15th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Monday February 13, 2012 - 7:59 AM

After Aussie Open win, Azarenka already thinking about 'Golden Slam'

CBSSports.com wire reports

DOHA, Qatar -- With the No. 1 ranking and her first major title secured, Victoria Azarenka is already thinking about the "Golden Slam."

The 22-year-old Belarussian, who won the Australia Open last month, still has a long way to go, but the London Olympics is high on her wish list.

"That's everybody's dream to achieve, but, I mean, it's a very difficult task," said Azarenka, who will put her 12-0 record on the line this week at the Qatar Open. "But I definitely am going to have the mentality to try to do that."

Heading into this week's tournament, Azarenka is preparing to be the player everyone else wants to beat.

"There's going to be extra motivation (for others), but for me it's kind of exciting that every time I have to step on the court I have tougher task to handle," she said. "So I worked really hard to be at this position, so, you know, I have to deal with it now."

I don't get it. Why isn't everybody jumping all over this? For the record, I think this is non-news, just a reaction to predictable questions by journalists. But if Woz or Masha, or I suspect even Petra, had made comparable remarks the fanboys and haters would have been at each other's throats within minutes. As it is this article has been out for half a day or more and nobody is taking any notice. Is Vika that irrelevant?:confused:

I don't see any quote on that article where Vika states, or even implies, that she is thinking about the golden slam. She responds to a reporters question by saying it's difficult to achieve and she's going to try. The only thing mentioned specifically is that the Olympics are high on her list. It's hard to have a negative reaction to anything she said when we don't know what she really said. The only place the golden slam is mentioned is in the title of the article. Maybe people have good enough reading comprehension to not react to something that was never said apart from being in the article title.

Brad[le]y.
Feb 15th, 2012, 06:32 AM
sort of misleading, IMO. even if not she should be positive, I mean it's not like anyone else has a shot :shrug:

robpal
Feb 15th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Be realistic... She can somehow win RG, but no chances on Wimby.

Yoncé
Feb 15th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Because the last person to get talked up about winning the grand, not even golden, slam lost to Rus in the 2nd round of RG :rolleyes:

stromatolite
Feb 15th, 2012, 08:18 AM

You're starting to scare me now ;)

But seriously, how blonde is Vika really? I mean, even in that department she's no match for Lena surely? :lol:

Marlene
Feb 15th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Yes, it was a standard answer to a leading question by a journalist, I've said as much all along. Vika has done nothing wrong here, any more than it was any actual wrongdoing by Caroline Wozniacki, Sam Stosur and others that led to countless hatefilled threads that have been launched against them. All those girls did was to say something to the effect that they thought they deserved to be #1, had a decent chance of winning a slam, etc., like Vika in response to leading questions by journalists. Compared to those "claims", the "claim" that a player who has just won her first slam title could legitimately already be even thinking about attempting the golden slam is pretty outrageous IMO.

I think Azarenka get's away with saying she'll try to go for it because she's the new, slam-winning #1 and she hasn't screwed up yet... It's the novelty, her grace period, she hasn't even had a chance to stigmatise her #1 rank yet. Give the haterz a few months to gather the troops.

stromatolite
Feb 15th, 2012, 09:18 AM
I think Azarenka get's away with saying she'll try to go for it because she's the new, slam-winning #1 and she hasn't screwed up yet... It's the novelty, her grace period, she hasn't even had a chance to stigmatise her #1 rank yet. Give the haterz a few months to gather the troops.

Yes, you're probably right. It would be nice if for a change the haters stayed away, but sooner or later they'll smell blood.

Chrissie-fan
Feb 15th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Yes, you're probably right. It would be nice if for a change the haters stayed away, but sooner or later they'll smell blood.
Yep. On the other hand, once you're a hater you basically lose all credibility when you're talking about that player. When you know that someone hates, say, Azarenka (to avoid one much more obvious name ;)) there's really no point in reading that person's Azarenka related posts any longer because you know that any attempt at objectivity has gone out the window.

stromatolite
Feb 15th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Yep. On the other hand, once you're a hater you basically lose all credibility when you're talking about that player. When everyone knows that someone hates, say, Azarenka (to avoid one much more obvious name ;)) there's really no point in reading that person's Azarenka related posts any longer because you know that any attempt at objectivity has gone out the window.

You're absolutely right!:)

miffedmax
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:48 PM
You're starting to scare me now ;)

But seriously, how blonde is Vika really? I mean, even in that department she's no match for Lena surely? :lol:

No one is a match for *sigh* Lena.

But Vika is my favorite active player. (I can hardly count Vee as active. :sobbing:).

stromatolite
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:56 PM
No one is a match for *sigh* Lena.

But Vika is my favorite active player. (I can hardly count Vee as active. :sobbing:).

Nor blonde :lol:

miffedmax
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Yes, but there's the California rule for her and Vania. (Everyone from California is a default blonde).

stromatolite
Feb 15th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Yes, but there's the California rule for her and Vania. (Everyone from California is a default blonde).

:lol: touché :yeah:

escoesco
Feb 15th, 2012, 02:05 PM
How would someone know how the board would react if Wozniacki said something like this? Wouldn't she have to win a slam first?