PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think Bartoli's game is one-dimensional?

Aaron.
Feb 14th, 2012, 02:47 AM
:tape: After watching the Paris final, I think Marion has a very ugly and one-dimensional game. First off she has no variety, no drop shots, no change of pace shots and no volleys (that 2 handed forehand volley killed me :help:). As soon as you find a rhythm against her it's game over for her. She moves decently, and her 1st serve is okay, but her 2nd serve has no spin whatsoever, like come on now...You are a professional tennis player, you train everyday why the heck can you not hit a spin serve? :help: that being said it was a great final..but still you've got to wonder who the hell is coaching some of these girls?

homogenius
Feb 14th, 2012, 03:00 AM
Marion was not at her best this week and reached the final mostly on her great fighting abilities.She can play much better than that (and when she's on, she actually has some decent/good volleys and nice touch).

Ryan
Feb 14th, 2012, 03:08 AM
Umm...watch any of her matches from IW last year, or RG/Wimbledon. When Marion plays well, she can definitely employ dropshots, great angles and some smart tactics.

Aryman3
Feb 14th, 2012, 03:12 AM
very predictable

Chakvenus
Feb 14th, 2012, 03:15 AM
When Marion's at her best, she uses angles incredibly often and effectively. She takes the ball so early, and that coupled with her two-handedness off both sides allows her to create some real doozies.

Petkorazzi
Feb 14th, 2012, 09:31 AM
She doesn't use dropshots that often, but she always chooses the right moment whenever she does.

Maria rocks
Feb 14th, 2012, 09:35 AM
I would say the way she plays isn't everyone's cup of tea but hey it works for her, and come on you gotta love that serve? Ive never ever seen a serve like it its so funny. :lol:

Pops Maellard
Feb 14th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Is the pope catholic?

Tennisfan06
Feb 14th, 2012, 09:36 AM
No

jrm
Feb 14th, 2012, 10:28 AM
that can be said about 80% of players

Elwin.
Feb 14th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Funny thread :lol:

ElusiveChanteuse
Feb 14th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Not sure if it's one dimensional. But her stamina remains her main issue. You won't expect her to always win 3 set tight matches against decent opponents.:shrug:
and I'm not sure if anyone realizes she likes to pick her underpants in front at times as if her undergarments made her uncomfortable (like Nadal picking his ass).:oh:

WowWow
Feb 14th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Very one dimensional. No plan B, and no variations.

Siderophyre
Feb 14th, 2012, 02:18 PM
No.

I'd call it weird, insane, annoying and ugly, yet strangely interesting to watch.

timafi
Feb 14th, 2012, 03:33 PM
you are late Aaron

Lighter
Feb 14th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Just one advice : watch her on court before final impression.

Speed of the ball is really impressive....And she has many options. But what she likes before all is to be agressive on return and end point with a volley. The problem is that she's returning 90% of times straight along the line. If the opponent can absorb this power like Kerber, match will be more difficult for her. But even you know where she will put the ball, it's extremely difficult to return. You have to be very strong like Kerber on sunday.
Her first drop shot was really beautiful and efficient. She agreed with that, she didn't use dropshots as she would do.

GAGAlady
Feb 14th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Women's tennis is one dimensional when compared to men's tennis. The woman hit hard yet move like shit, even I could outrun Caroline wozniacki and Im not even competing in ITF events... It's also not fair to the women to judge them so harshly they try but there coaches have a lot to do with there development and clearly she I ly cares about hitting hard

edificio
Feb 14th, 2012, 07:12 PM
No. When she's on she's on. I always think of her using killer angles. She's been a bit subpar lately, but she's still got a multidimensional game.

Women's tennis is one dimensional when compared to men's tennis. The woman hit hard yet move like shit, even I could outrun Caroline wozniacki and Im not even competing in ITF events... It's also not fair to the women to judge them so harshly they try but there coaches have a lot to do with there development and clearly she I ly cares about hitting hard

First you find women lesser than men. Then you elevate your own skills. Then you admonish us not to judge women too harshly as it is the fault of their coaches, because guidance is so important to women's development. Most coaches are men. :confused: So...women are just second rate to you, I guess. :shrug: Can't take you seriously. Sorry.

Ferg
Feb 14th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Someones clearly never watched her play before in their life :rolls:

Ferg
Feb 14th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Umm...watch any of her matches from IW last year, or RG/Wimbledon. When Marion plays well, she can definitely employ dropshots, great angles and some smart tactics.

Second set against Woz in the final of IWs :inlove: Never seen her be so inventive before, pity she ran out of steam.

Aaron.
Feb 14th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Someones clearly never watched her play before in their life :rolls: I saw her play against Serena at Wimbledon and it wasn't much different :tape:

Talula
Feb 14th, 2012, 08:54 PM
very predictable

Unfortunately for Marion, she is just that. She simply hasn't developed her game.

Richie's
Feb 14th, 2012, 08:54 PM
One, two or 3D, it gaves her the results ;) She's in Top 10 for quite long now + winning matches easily.

Talula
Feb 14th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Second set against Woz in the final of IWs :inlove: Never seen her be so inventive before, pity she ran out of steam.

And the sad truth is she always runs out of steam, or better players douse it out.

I would love Marion to step it up and win a biggie - but only if she raises her level and game. Otherwise she will reire rich, but as an also ran.

GAGAlady
Feb 14th, 2012, 10:46 PM
No. When she's on she's on. I always think of her using killer angles. She's been a bit subpar lately, but she's still got a multidimensional game.

First you find women lesser than men. Then you elevate your own skills. Then you admonish us not to judge women too harshly as it is the fault of their coaches, because guidance is so important to women's development. Most coaches are men. :confused: So...women are just second rate to you, I guess. :shrug: Can't take you seriously. Sorry.

I'm completely right in my remarks. Women's tennis is fundamentally flawed when u look at the overall movement of the players the vast majority of them are terrible
On the run, they can't consistently play shots when on the defense as opposed to there male
Counterparts and you see that clearly
In the unforced errors produced by that. The facts are there sweetheart. LOOK IT UP. It's not
Sexist bitch, it's facts. And yes, I can play tennis. Deal with it.

GAGAlady
Feb 14th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Also I've played with a lot of decent female players. So I would know how they play... Ur an idiot. I know what imtalking about. They hit very hard as hard as men but lack the veriety and most importantly u get them running and they make way more errors than men plus they don't adjust nearly as well. All facts.

Andy.
Feb 14th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Even if it is its a pretty good one dimention. Variety is overated.

Six Feet Under
Feb 15th, 2012, 12:05 AM
It can be, as of late she has sacrificed some of her angles and stunning returns to play a very high % game (which has been working.) Opponents can catch onto this and she can become predictable.

The 'variation' in her game is her mental strength, let's take paris for example, being totally outplayed she had a plan B time and time again (which generally means play more agressive or more HP or move to the net more/focs on 1st serves), leading her out of ridiculously big holes. She is also quite inventive when being to hit a defensive or passing shot.

You could say her shots look 1D (identical FH and BH, limited slice/drop) but overall I don't think she is a 1D player.

Rest Maria!
Feb 15th, 2012, 12:24 AM
Even if it is its a pretty good one dimention. Variety is overated.

I wonder why a Sharapova fan would think that. :oh:

It can be, as of late she has sacrificed some of her angles and stunning returns to play a very high % game (which has been working.)
Has it? She reach Paris final and won Osaka and uh... that's it, can't recall anything else noteworthy.:scratch:

JRena
Feb 15th, 2012, 12:42 AM
Most of the WTA is one-dimensional. :confused:

Six Feet Under
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:17 AM
I wonder why a Sharapova fan would think that. :oh:

Has it? She reach Paris final and won Osaka and uh... that's it, can't recall anything else noteworthy.:scratch:

Last year:

Eastbourne W
Osaka W
Strasbourg F
Stanford F
Indian Wells F
Roland Garros SF
Wimbledon QF (beat serena)
1-0 WTA Champs

5F, 10 SF, 14 QF Best year by far at 27 :shrug:

Oh and 7-1 for the Mashabators, why don't you go back to Poland :oh:

Rest Maria!
Feb 15th, 2012, 10:50 AM
^the above only confirms she's in a huge post Wimbledon slump. I wonder what we'll be her ranking when the Olympic Games begins.