PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Be Remembered as the Biggest LEGEND?

Galang
Feb 14th, 2012, 12:00 AM
In terms of both WTA fans and the general public. Think of not just results but also general appeal to the whole world.

Who out of these goddesses of the last 15 years?

NOTE: I've only included the 9 players who have been number one and won at least one slam :)

Galang
Feb 14th, 2012, 12:09 AM
LMAO I FORGOT HENIN! Oh well, no one will remember that ho anyway

killerqueen
Feb 14th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Obviously it depends on where you are based, but I'd say that very few players will go on to become genuine household names, so in terms of the general public, I'd say Serena, Venus, and Sharapova will be remembered long after their time has gone, and maybe Li Na too. I don't think the average person would get much further than those four. Some will know of Clijsters, Kuznetsova etc but I don't think the majority would now, let alone in the future.

danieln1
Feb 14th, 2012, 12:14 AM

:happy:

killerqueen
Feb 14th, 2012, 12:15 AM

You forgot our current number one too! :oh::help:

Galang
Feb 14th, 2012, 12:18 AM
You forgot our current number one too! :oh::help:

OH DEAR.

I stand by my Henin comment for her as well.

dynamoRockstarr
Feb 14th, 2012, 12:21 AM
They will be remembered by someone.

They are all great simply by their accomplishments, some remembered more than others.

...if to be measured in some way I think the least remembered will be Ana and Amelie.

PetraReeMona
Feb 14th, 2012, 12:29 AM

You seem to have forgotten Seles too, so I presume she won't be remembered too.

Seems like there's obviously something wrong with your memory or you are just not really into tennis, because if you really think tennis fans will not remember Seles and Henin then you do need a lot of :help:

Seems like you are a bigger troll than you try to be.:worship::worship:

Simugna Help
Feb 14th, 2012, 12:38 AM
Martina obviously, her gamestyle was a sight to behold even if it only gave her 5 slams.

thrust
Feb 14th, 2012, 12:48 AM
Martina obviously, her gamestyle was a sight to behold even if it only gave her 5 slams.

Nonsense! Serena has 13 Slams and would have dominated peak Hingis on any surface, 2002-on. The same is nearly as true of peak Henin, Venus, or Kim. Obviously I would have to pick Serena, then Henin, Venus, then Hingis.

Galang
Feb 14th, 2012, 12:52 AM
You seem to have forgotten Seles too, so I presume she won't be remembered too.

Seems like there's obviously something wrong with your memory or you are just not really into tennis, because if you really think tennis fans will not remember Seles and Henin then you do need a lot of :help:

What part of winning a slam and being number one during the last 15 years do you not understand? Seles didn't do either of these, let alone both. So Gtfo and stop trying so hard to catch me out.

thrust
Feb 14th, 2012, 12:52 AM
Justine is not a whore, YOu though, are an evil, stupid sleaze.

Galang
Feb 14th, 2012, 12:57 AM
Justine is not a whore, YOu though, are an evil, stupid sleaze.

So what if I am?

VeeJJ
Feb 14th, 2012, 01:14 AM
Seles should be on this list. She was a great champion but in all honesty I think most people remember her because she got stabbed. My mom is clueless about tennis and if I talked to her about it she is always like "who's that one taht got stabbed, etc." Or she Martina Navratilova because of her public scandal with her outing and leaving of Czechoslovakia.

Galang
Feb 14th, 2012, 01:19 AM
Why are people saying Seles should be in the list?

Was she number one in the past 15 years? No
Did she win a slam in the past 15 years? No

Get a grip, please.

Helen Lawson
Feb 14th, 2012, 01:45 AM
This might be more interesting if you took Serena out, it's not really a contest with her in it. Pit Serena against Seles in their own poll, now that would be good.

I think Jen v. Venus v. HIngis v. Justine v. Sharapova v. Lindsay, you'd have a good and debatable poll where many good points could be raised.

VeeJJ
Feb 14th, 2012, 01:49 AM
Why are people saying Seles should be in the list?

Was she number one in the past 15 years? No
Did she win a slam in the past 15 years? No

Get a grip, please.

She was stabbed on court.

Fucking get with it. That is news that people outside tennis all heard about and remember. A public scandal is gonna be more memorable than how you played everyday of the week.

Barktra
Feb 14th, 2012, 01:54 AM
Serena

Tomic
Feb 14th, 2012, 01:55 AM
They will be remembered by someone.

They are all great simply by their accomplishments, some remembered more than others.

...if to be measured in some way I think the least remembered will be Ana and Amelie.

This

Galang
Feb 14th, 2012, 01:58 AM
She was stabbed on court.

Fucking get with it. That is news that people outside tennis all heard about and remember. A public scandal is gonna be more memorable than how you played everyday of the week.

You're missing the point entirely. This isn't a thread about the legends of all time, it's a thread about the legends from slam winners of the past 15 years.

I'm not saying Monica won't be remembered, of course she will. It's just this thread has nothing to do with her. But please, maybe you should 'fucking get with it' and start a thread of your own including people like Graf, Navratilova, Seles, Evert, etc. Nothing is stopping you.

Ralph214
Feb 14th, 2012, 02:25 AM
Seles.

Macomere
Feb 14th, 2012, 02:48 AM
Another one :o

Smitten
Feb 14th, 2012, 02:57 AM
Legend.

Capriati and Bagelie are the most forgettable. Jennifer is mentioned and referenced here and there, but Bagelie is never even thought of since retirement.

She has no game to reference, left no mark on the game, and had no niche. It doesn't help that she only won two slams.

Mary Cherry.
Feb 14th, 2012, 03:28 AM
The excessive use of caps lock will make me remember them all.

Vee Williams
Feb 14th, 2012, 04:10 AM
Maria Sharapova. She wins all polls here. Resistance is futile!

Maria rocks
Feb 14th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Serena Williams. Best female tennis player EVER by a long stretch.

Siderophyre
Feb 14th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Ana Ivanovic? WTF? Why is she even on that list?

Maria rocks
Feb 14th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Ana Ivanovic? WTF? Why is she even on that list?

People have voted for her:lol:lol:

Lord Choc Ice
Feb 14th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Serena from this poll, but I think Graf is still a bigger legend.

Michael*
Feb 14th, 2012, 10:57 AM
who the hell is that Ivanoic woman?

Bismarck.
Feb 14th, 2012, 11:13 AM
The excessive use of caps lock will make me remember them all.

Reminds me of the guy who does the X Factor introductions. :lol:

Miracle Worker
Feb 14th, 2012, 11:27 AM
From this list, only both Williams have a chance.

everythingtaboo
Feb 14th, 2012, 11:45 AM
In terms of achievements and some of her memorable oncourt controversies, it'll be Serena-- no doubt. But I also think Kim stands a chance. Not necessarily for her career in it's entirety but for her comeback in 2009. It's one of the great stories in sport--, nearly 3 years later it's still being talked about by both fans, & journalists, and I think will be talked about for many more years to come. And yes, I realise how biased this sounds coming from me. :lol:

Chrissie-fan
Feb 14th, 2012, 12:02 PM
I think most players on this list will be/are legends to varying degrees among tennis fans. As for whoever will be a legend in the minds of those who are not really interested in tennis, who cares? Most of them wouldn't even recognize the names of Suzanne Lenglen, Helen Wills, Maureen Connolly or even the more recent Margaret Court.

petkoan
Feb 14th, 2012, 12:10 PM
To me, the post Graf-Seles era has been marked by 3 players: the sisters and Hingis. Henin who has surpassed Martina in singles slam wins, was supposed to be the other one in the equation, with her brilliant game, but is more than forgettable for some reason. She just doesn't appeal to people. And lets not forget Kournikova, who even without a tittle to her name, caused a big stir in the modern game

Sam L
Feb 14th, 2012, 12:35 PM
http://www.dnjournal.com/cover/2007/images/lelandhardy/williams-sisters.jpg

Sam L
Feb 14th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Seles should be on this list. She was a great champion but in all honesty I think most people remember her because she got stabbed. My mom is clueless about tennis and if I talked to her about it she is always like "who's that one taht got stabbed, etc." Or she Martina Navratilova because of her public scandal with her outing and leaving of Czechoslovakia.

Seles and Graf will always be remembered together for better or worse like Chris and Martina. It's just that some will like one more than the other.

I thought this poll was more a post Seles-Graf era.

Alejandrawrrr
Feb 14th, 2012, 12:49 PM
I don't know about Europe, but in America the only female tennis players basically EVERYONE knows are Serena Williams, Venus Williams, Maria Sharapova, Chris Evert, Billie Jean King, Anna Kournikova. Most also know Martina Navratilova. I've met a shocking number of people who don't know Graf or Seles despite being old enough to remember. Also Lindsay, Justine, Kim, Hingis aren't well known here outside of the actual tennis community, despite their achievements trumping some others on the list *cough*kournikova*cough*

Also, to answer the poll it's Serena. That's a fact. Still, at least I can SOMEWHAT understand someone letting favoritism or perhaps nationalism get in the way and voting for Venus/Henin/Maria/etc. But Ana? Really? :rolls:

Galang
Feb 14th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Seles and Graf will always be remembered together for better or worse like Chris and Martina. It's just that some will like one more than the other.

I thought this poll was more a post Seles-Graf era.

Exactly. I don't get why some people aren't getting that and screaming at me for not including Seles.

J4m3ka
Feb 14th, 2012, 01:19 PM
WS > Hingis = Davenport = Capriati > Mauresmo = Sharapova = Clijsters > Ivanovic

Galang
Feb 14th, 2012, 04:33 PM
I don't know any non-tennis fan who knows Capriati or Mauresmo

Monzanator
Feb 14th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Nonsense! Serena has 13 Slams and would have dominated peak Hingis on any surface, 2002-on. The same is nearly as true of peak Henin, Venus, or Kim. Obviously I would have to pick Serena, then Henin, Venus, then Hingis.

Would have, could have, should have :facepalm: It's the same crap with Graf without the Seles stabbing. We will never know what would have happened, so lay it off, man. Hingis was the biggest talent in women's tennis in the last two decades IMO, but because of circumstances, her accomplishments are inferior to some other players. That's a fact and no one can do anything about it :shrug:

GAGAlady
Feb 14th, 2012, 06:45 PM
I don't know any non-tennis fan who knows Capriati or Mauresmo

I can't speak for Amelie but Capriati is well known in north America and people love her story and her comeback was one of the biggest stories of the decade. As far as sport is concerned anyways. Jennifer is a legend for sure.

Moveyourfeet
Feb 14th, 2012, 06:48 PM

I like Henin but this made me :spit:

Sammo
Feb 14th, 2012, 06:55 PM

:hysteric:

-Sonic-
Feb 14th, 2012, 07:30 PM
I <3 this thread. Frickin amazing.

nfl46
Feb 14th, 2012, 07:51 PM
People will always remember Venus and Serena.

I think most people get so used to saying, "VENUS AND SERENA WILLIAMS."

If you bring up one, you will bring up the other because its just sounds right together.

edificio
Feb 14th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Ana is a VIP, not a LEGEND, thus far.

Linguae^
Feb 14th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Serena Williams with an ease.

Wimbledon9
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:14 AM
So only in the recent periode what a shame the real legends are from earlier times. You should consider who are known in the whole world and not only in the USA or their birth country.
Some players are known not only for their tennis but for more. Some of us are old enough to have seen more players then the recent fans.

StoneRose
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:47 AM
Pointless random list.

Hurley
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:50 AM
I state again: why does this thing get to start crap threads incessantly? :shrug:

ranfurly
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:55 AM
You may as well said "Who is the greatest player", because theoretically you'll get the same result.

Typical Trolling.

tennisvideos
Feb 15th, 2012, 07:05 AM
I think the Williams sisters will be remembered the most due to their incredible records AND being sisters. There have never been such incredible siblings on the tour. :worship:

Sombrerero loco
Feb 15th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Martina Hingis, by far. she is a legend :bowdown:

Miss Amor
Feb 15th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Even Mandlikova and Sabatini will be remembered more than the sisters, it has already been predicted.

Sam L
Feb 15th, 2012, 10:20 AM
You may as well said "Who is the greatest player", because theoretically you'll get the same result.

Typical Trolling.
Not really. Serena is greater than Venus but people will always remember them as Williams sisters even if Serena goes on to win many more slams.

Mightymirza
Feb 15th, 2012, 11:06 AM
For tennis fans Serena of course... But for others, its probably Sharapova who is better known??

Galang
Feb 15th, 2012, 08:12 PM
For tennis fans Serena of course... But for others, its probably Sharapova who is better known??

Agreed. Whenever I talk about the WTA to non tennis fans, they sort of seem to think Serena is some sort of hate figure and 90% think Venus has achieved more.

chloe-l
Feb 15th, 2012, 11:59 PM
:bigclap::yeah:You seem to have forgotten Seles too, so I presume she won't be remembered too.

:angel:

hingis-seles
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Venus, Serena, Hingis and Kournikova are remembered because they were the new generation that arrived and took over the Tour in the eyes of the public in the late 90s when the WTA was enjoying its golden era. They were the young blood and the new stars that took the game away from the veterans and were briefly responsible for women's tennis becoming more popular than men's tennis.

Since then, the only memorable one who's shown up who people know of is Maria Sharapova.

tracytracy22
Feb 18th, 2012, 12:59 AM
A couple of people have mentioned that serena will always be remembered along with her sister. Venus is nothing compared to serena and to be honest, I dont really consider her to be a legend. I dont hate her or anything, but its probably because I'm comparing her to her sister serena. Anyways...for me its either gonna be serena or hingis.

Serena is gonna be remembered for her achievments, bringing the athleticism and power to the sport (along with venus) and she's an inspiration to many, especially the african american community.

Hingis will be remembered for her talent (I think she's probably one of the most talented, if not the most talented player every), her attractive game and for her whole "I'm a player not a worker" attitude. She's also a bitch and the stuff she has said in the past always make for a good read. I've always wanted to see her locker room fight with kournikova - "Do you think your the queen? Because I'm the real queen!".

I love both of them. They also had a great rivalry. And I hate how everyone thinks hingis was racist - the only thing she ever said was that they play the race card, which was kinda true, especially for richard. I mean he was the one who kind of started the whole hiingis/WS rivalry.

spencercarlos
Feb 18th, 2012, 04:56 AM
In terms of both WTA fans and the general public. Think of not just results but also general appeal to the whole world.

Who out of these goddesses of the last 15 years?

NOTE: I've only included the 9 players who have been number one and won at least one slam :)
Ivanovic great option for the poll :facepalm:

ElusiveChanteuse
Feb 18th, 2012, 05:33 AM
I'm surprised Masha didn't get as much votes as I expected. She's pretty much well known around the world.:shrug: though Serena just is a league above her. Venus is probably as well known as Sharapova, if Serena is mentioned along.:oh:

starin
Feb 18th, 2012, 05:48 AM
If you're including the general public the only answer is the William Sisters. No one will remember Serena without remembering Venus. They are one of the greatest sports story ever. They will be sports legends for the rest of their lives and after.

And :facepalm: at the delusional Hingis fans. She was a transitional champion and 30 years from now no one but hard core tennis fans will ever remember her.

Mistress of Evil
Feb 18th, 2012, 09:04 AM
There is one Legend among the other legends who stands out - the one and only Wingis. :worship:

I'm surprised Masha didn't get as much votes as I expected. She's pretty much well known around the world.:shrug: though Serena just is a league above her. Venus is probably as well known as Sharapova, if Serena is mentioned along.:oh:

Martha is considerably more famous than any other tennis player worldwide; has she been a man( and no the broad shoulders & the moustache does not make her one, unfortunately ) she would have Federer or Nadal.

Galang
Feb 18th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Is Seles really that well known by the general public? I don't think so.

Steadyniacki
Feb 18th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Henin is more legendary than all that list, bar Serena.

I'd venture Hingis, Kournikova, Serena (and Venus) and Henin are the most remembered players of the past generation.

Sammo
Feb 18th, 2012, 04:51 PM

Both my parents knew her, my father knows a bit of women's tennis but if you asked my mother about it she could only name you : Steffi Graf, Monica Seles, Martina Hingis, Martina Navratilova, and the Williams sisters :lol:

Steadyniacki
Feb 18th, 2012, 04:52 PM

:sobbing:

Galang
Feb 18th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Well she's nowhere near as famous as Serena, Venus, Maria, Anna K, Steffi, Martina x2 and Billie Jean.

No non-tennis fan I've spoken to has ever heard of her. Some may have known that a player was once stabbed on court, but couldn't tell you her name.