PDA

View Full Version : New tournament in Brazil - 2013

dizoo
Feb 13th, 2012, 05:54 PM
source...
http://tenisjn.zip.net/

it's almost certain that it will be after Bogota, in sao paulo with the male brazil open (indoor clay) or in riviera de sao lourenco, where they played a 25K ITF last week (hardcourt)

dizoo
Feb 13th, 2012, 05:56 PM
"Jorge Lacerda is very close to take another big hit. With cash and credibility with sponsors, the Brazilian Confederation has priority in the purchase of a WTA-level tournament, which belongs to a French promoter"

RR-87
Feb 13th, 2012, 06:00 PM
good to see some new events in south america :)

Tennis Observer
Feb 13th, 2012, 06:20 PM
I vaguely remember the announcement of an upgrade of 100K+ BCR Ladies Open Romania in Bucharest (to a Premier event), the creation of a warm up tournament for Wimbledon on Grass near Cairo and the introduction of a second WTA tournament in Germany. The only thing I know for sure that 220K Marbella was cancelled and Family Circle Cup remains the only WTA tournament in first week of April 2012.

However: As it is always refreshing to see diversification especially during these difficult economic times, good luck to the organizers!

dizoo
Feb 13th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Brazil is really investing in tennis, they are trying to buy/rent a date to start a new ATP 500 and keep the ATP 250.
a brazilian tennis news broadcasted on espn brasil stated that everything is already set, but they can't announce before next years calendar is released

Broseghini
Feb 13th, 2012, 06:44 PM
That would be amazing :inlove::drool:
But It's replacing Marbella in early April. I don't know if it's a good date :shrug:

Dugavljan
Feb 13th, 2012, 06:57 PM
always nice to see a new event. :)

Juarito
Feb 13th, 2012, 08:08 PM
It seems CBTenis has bought the vacant place Marbella's tournament left.
Of course it will be red clay cause it will be held the first week of April. :yeah: :hearts:
Don't know which city will host it yet.

sweetadri06
Feb 13th, 2012, 08:19 PM
I'm not surprised to see Brazil get a tournament. They are hosting the next olympics so of course they want to invest in more tourist attractions/events.

Gdsimmons
Feb 13th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Im surprised that we dont have many tennis tournaments in South America on either side

donellcarey
Feb 13th, 2012, 08:21 PM
There shud b one in Rio, around Carnaval :lol:

In The Zone
Feb 13th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Of course it will be red clay cause it will be held the first week of April. :yeah: :hearts:

You would think that when you "purchase" a tournament, you are purchasing a time slot also. Not in the WTA's case. They purchased Marbella's right most likely but can move the dates.

Now, if they can fix the Acapulco/Memphis/Monterrey mess and add Brazil in there, February is a good month of smaller events in North America :yeah:

iGOAT
Feb 13th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Too bad it can't start this year to replace Marbella… It would be better to be during this season of the year (maybe last week) so there is a South American swing but it would be fine in the Marbella slot too as Brazil is extremely accessible from Miami.

Speaking of Latin American events, what ever happened to the one year in Viña del Mar, Chile? Any chance that would come back :p?

leebeasy
Feb 13th, 2012, 08:35 PM
If it was on hard courts they could probably convince Serena to play, I've read more than once that she wants to go to Brazil.

killerqueen
Feb 13th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Sounds good, especially with the 2016 Olympics heading to Brazil. Hopefully they can use the next few years to prepare for a great event at the games! :)

*Jool*
Feb 13th, 2012, 08:45 PM
great news :yeah:

TTomek
Feb 13th, 2012, 09:25 PM
why the tournament disappeared from Bahia?

Linguae^
Feb 13th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Really?! What about Novi Sad, Belgrade?!

spiceboy
Feb 13th, 2012, 09:45 PM
This will be Barcelona last year in the WTA calendar, so another spot up for grabs :sad:

doujyr
Feb 13th, 2012, 09:47 PM
they could "adopt" some of the itf 100k challengers.

dizoo
Feb 13th, 2012, 10:31 PM
why the tournament disappeared from Bahia?

empty stands throughout the tournament and not a cheap place...one of the most expensive places to travel in Brazil.

dizoo
Feb 13th, 2012, 10:33 PM

it's already been reported that will be either sao paulo (at the same venue of the male tournament/indoor clay) or riviera de são lourenço (also in the state of sao paulo)

Nicolás89
Feb 13th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Too bad it can't start this year to replace Marbella… It would be better to be during this season of the year (maybe last week) so there is a South American swing but it would be fine in the Marbella slot too as Brazil is extremely accessible from Miami.

Speaking of Latin American events, what ever happened to the one year in Viña del Mar, Chile? Any chance that would come back :p?

I don't think so, the males event struggles to survive each year...chileans care only about their players. :sobbing:

Pvt. Kovalenko
Feb 14th, 2012, 02:20 AM
ATP has always had a few tournaments here in South America, but only one WTA tournament in here. I hope that this void, can be filled with this new tournament. :)

empty stands throughout the tournament and not a cheap place...one of the most expensive places to travel in Brazil.

Is now held em São Paulo. I don't saw if the public was good enough to justify this change, but must be better than play for no one in Bahia.. ;)

I also hope, this is not just the "Olympic Fever", that's catching around here. Something for several years, not just until 2016..

dizoo
Feb 14th, 2012, 10:44 AM
ATP has always had a few tournaments here in South America, but only one WTA tournament in here. I hope that this void, can be filled with this new tournament. :)

Is now held em São Paulo. I don't saw if the public was good enough to justify this change, but must be better than play for no one in Bahia.. ;)

I also hope, this is not just the "Olympic Fever", that's catching around here. Something for several years, not just until 2016..

the tickets for the SF and F are almost sold out, and during the week the tickets are really cheap n order to enable people to go, but unfortunately most people has to work and we don't have many big names this year, but the SF and F will be completely full (i'll be there for the SF, i won't be in sao paulo for the F :( )

melodynelson
Feb 14th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I wish Portugal was relevant enough to have more than just Estoril Open :yawn:. Brasil gets all the glory. Viva 1500's.

Anyway, glad to see some expansion in South America, in Brasil, and is a smart move in preparation for the Olympics.

Miracle Worker
Feb 14th, 2012, 11:28 AM
South America needs some bigger tournament than International. I hope Brazil will get Premier some day.

Mynarco
Feb 14th, 2012, 11:30 AM
There should be a clay premier tournament in South America

dizoo
Feb 14th, 2012, 12:55 PM
There should be a clay premier tournament in South America

CBT are trying, but there are no dates avaiable until 2017
:(

VIKA?
Feb 14th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Really nice news!

VIKA?
Feb 14th, 2012, 02:03 PM
This will be Barcelona last year in the WTA calendar, so another spot up for grabs :sad:

oh really? is it 100% sure?

spiceboy
Feb 14th, 2012, 06:16 PM
it's almost certain that it will be after Bogota, in sao paulo with the male brazil open (indoor clay) or in riviera de sao lourenco, where they played a 25K ITF last week (hardcourt)

Players are raving on facebook about that tournament and its location in front of the ocean, like best challenger ever

Even 90% humidity was not a problem in such a beautiful setting :oh:

rafaelkafka
Feb 14th, 2012, 06:40 PM
That would be amazing :inlove::drool:
But It's replacing Marbella in early April. I don't know if it's a good date :shrug:

It would be like the Brazil Open, Indoor clay in Ibirapuera with 11.000 seats!

Indoor clay is far better than outdoor clay, much more fast!

spiceboy
Feb 14th, 2012, 06:43 PM
I just hope they change dates. Who is going to play in South America for just one week? Especially when you have a bigger tournament in North America at the same time and tournaments in Europe the following week...

Juarito
Feb 14th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Changing dates is not something they can do so easily. They bought a vacant place in the calendar and they cannot move it. The week after Bogota there are already 3 tournaments, it's impossible they can put a fourth one on the same week. Marbella's left its place and of course if there's an empty place WTA will try to fill it.

Miracle Worker
Feb 14th, 2012, 09:27 PM
They can put one tournament in week when Fed Cup is scheduled. Marion and some other players would play for sure.

edificio
Feb 14th, 2012, 09:31 PM
This will be good prep for the Olympics. Who are the Brazilian prospects, though? They need to work on that.

dizoo
Feb 14th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Players are raving on facebook about that tournament and its location in front of the ocean, like best challenger ever

Even 90% humidity was not a problem in such a beautiful setting :oh:

really?

Uranium
Feb 17th, 2012, 11:45 AM
I am glad South America is getting more events. Vina del Mar was canceled immediately, but hopefully Brazil can last. They did have a hardcourt event after US Open that did fairly well, in terms of what players went there. Venus even entered it, but withdrew since she won USO.

More events in South America and Africa please. An event in South Africa, Johannesburg would be nice.

Milk_Shakespeare
Feb 17th, 2012, 12:44 PM
I attended the ATP Challenger Finals last year and I am attending Brazil Open this weekend.

The Finals were pretty cool and had a decent crowd in the arena.

Unfortunately the complex is very old and the despite the fact there were made some improvements last year, it is still not at the same quality level of other international competitions.

Tennis Observer
Feb 17th, 2012, 01:35 PM
oh really? is it 100% sure?
Spiceboy’s input is not up to date.

MatchMaker (http://www.matchmaker.at/de/home.html), the promoter of both 220K tournaments in Austria (Bad Gastein & Linz), bought 220K Barcelona license from Arantxa Sánchez Vicario, who decided last December to sell her permit. The multiple GS Champion and Spain’s Fed-Cup Captain will work as tournament adviser or ambassador in the future.

njnetswill
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:19 PM
I'm not getting my hopes up. There have been so many "false promises" the last two years about new tournaments, including the grass event in Egypt :lol:

spiceboy
Feb 17th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Spiceboy’s input is not up to date.

MatchMaker (http://www.matchmaker.at/de/home.html), the promoter of both 220K tournaments in Austria (Bad Gastein & Linz), bought 220K Barcelona license from Arantxa Sánchez Vicario, who decided last December to sell her permit. The multiple GS Champion and Spain’s Fed-Cup Captain will work as tournament adviser or ambassador in the future.

The new Austrian owners have decided to keep the tournament in Barcelona this year only until they find a new location (which could actually be Austria, Spain or any other country).

Chilenaitor
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:48 PM
good! chilean players can play a wta event in south america!

dizoo
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:29 PM
I attended the ATP Challenger Finals last year and I am attending Brazil Open this weekend.

The Finals were pretty cool and had a decent crowd in the arena.

Unfortunately the complex is very old and the despite the fact there were made some improvements last year, it is still not at the same quality level of other international competitions.

i'll be there on saturday!

Juju Nostalgique
Feb 17th, 2012, 05:39 PM
5th Slam? :scratch:

killerqueen
Feb 17th, 2012, 05:44 PM
I'm not getting my hopes up. There have been so many "false promises" the last two years about new tournaments, including the grass event in Egypt :lol:

There's grass in Egpyt? :eek::lol:

I just realised how insanesly ridiculous this is, but I'd never thought of there being anything but sand and manmade surfaces in Egypt! :lol:

Tennis Observer
Feb 19th, 2012, 01:32 AM
The new Austrian owners have decided to keep the tournament in Barcelona this year only until they find a new location (which could actually be Austria, Spain or any other country).
As your note opposes MatchMakers’ press release (http://www.tennisnet.com/oesterreich/welttennis/damen/Reichel-Business-Group-erwirbt-die-Lizenz-fuer-das-WTA-Event-in-Barcelona/3763002) (“Barcelona has a huge potential as a world capital for a fantastic WTA tournament”) please back your input up.

Tennis Observer
Feb 19th, 2012, 01:57 AM
There's grass in Egpyt? :eek::lol:

I just realised how insanesly ridiculous this is, but I'd never thought of there being anything but sand and manmade surfaces in Egypt! :lol:
NewGiza (http://www.newgiza.com/ngsc.aspx) is a huge real estate project under construction (http://www.realestateegypt.com/Project/ProjectDesc.aspx?ProId=NIjZhC/VrXo=) (north of Cairo near road to Alexandria) including a 18-holes championship golf course and some tennis grass courts.

Milk_Shakespeare
Feb 19th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Well, as I told you, I went to Brasil Open yesterday. It is an ATP 250.

1-There is no parking lot for the general public. No subway station nearby too.

2-Huge lines to get in before entering the arena.

3-No air conditioning. It was like 30-33ºC!

4-Few bathrooms.

There is a loooooooooong way to make something decent over here.

Wert.
Feb 19th, 2012, 11:25 AM
:bowdown: Good for the tour. :D

Milk_Shakespeare
Feb 19th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Anyway it'd good make it after or before Bogota, so player might travel less.

Linguae^
Feb 19th, 2012, 09:54 PM
What a concurrence for the 5th Slam.

dizoo
Apr 1st, 2012, 10:47 PM
it's confirmed!
http://tenisjn.zip.net/arch2012-03-16_2012-03-31.html#2012_03-31_20_39_46-2919530-0

WTA confirmado - Conforme antecipado neste Blog há dois meses, a CBT viajou para Miami e assinou contrato com a Associação feminina para fazer um WTA a partir de 2013, o que selará a volta dos torneios de primeira ponta depois de 11 anos (o último foi na Costa do Sauípe, em 2002). Existe uma dificuldade quanto à data. A ideia era fazer grudado ao de Bogotá, em fevereiro, mas já existem torneios antes (ITF de Cali) e depois (Acapulco e Monterrey).

macginity
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:16 AM
It's confirmed but we don't know the dates yet.
I already heard about the week after AO. This will be a bad date IMO. But they also said it could be the week after Miami. But only in July they'll give the official date and what will be the city to held it.

And about cities, there are big chances of being held in Rio de Janeiro, Brasília and São Paulo (São Paulo for what I've read is in the last place and Rio de Janeiro is trying to buy the Memphis tournament, so Brasília is a big name on this).

iGOAT
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:25 AM
I hope Memphis doesn't get bought :scared:.

Dexter
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:35 AM
I hope Memphis doesn't get bought :scared:.I hope it does. Too many tournaments in US and the field there was getting worse and worse now every year.

dizoo
Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:23 AM
It's confirmed but we don't know the dates yet.
I already heard about the week after AO. This will be a bad date IMO. But they also said it could be the week after Miami. But only in July they'll give the official date and what will be the city to held it.

And about cities, there are big chances of being held in Rio de Janeiro, Brasília and São Paulo (São Paulo for what I've read is in the last place and Rio de Janeiro is trying to buy the Memphis tournament, so Brasília is a big name on this).

it will end up being in sao paulo due to the facilities and due to the fact that they already have the courts,and also the Brazil Open (ATP) was very sucessful!

njnetswill
Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:34 AM
I hope it does. Too many tournaments in US and the field there was getting worse and worse now every year.

The US is as large as continental Europe. There are still plenty of Americans who don't live anywhere near a tennis tournament :shrug:

Dexter
Apr 2nd, 2012, 06:41 AM
The US is as large as continental Europe. There are still plenty of Americans who don't live anywhere near a tennis tournament :shrug:Russia is much bigger and has only one tournament. :shrug: India is huge too any doesnt have any at the moment. US has more than US tennis deserves atm.

Corswandt
Apr 2nd, 2012, 09:56 AM
I hope Memphis doesn't get bought :scared:.

ATP Memphis is moribund and hasn't warranted its 500 status in a while.

WTA Memphis is one of the few women's tournaments still played in old skool indoors, one of the last few remaining places where midranked fast court junkies like Paszek, Rybarikova or Martic can get their fix, so I wouldn't enjoy seeing it turned into yet another mudball event for the AMGs and Erranis of this world, but such is life.

SpanishSuenos
Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:36 AM

Another spanish torournament is OUT of the calendar ;(
Any suspects of this?

Tenis Srbija
Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:51 AM
Another spanish torournament is OUT of the calendar ;(
Any suspects of this?
Someone alredy wrote that it will remain in Barcelone... :wavey:

August
Apr 2nd, 2012, 12:57 PM
There are also rumours about Brazil purchasing Memphis tournament, to get an ATP 500. But would they buy only men's tournament, or also women's tournament?

dizoo
Apr 2nd, 2012, 01:02 PM
Well, as I told you, I went to Brasil Open yesterday. It is an ATP 250.

1-There is no parking lot for the general public. No subway station nearby too.

2-Huge lines to get in before entering the arena.

3-No air conditioning. It was like 30-33ºC!

4-Few bathrooms.

There is a loooooooooong way to make something decent over here.

where were these huge lines?
i went to the SF and it was pretty tranquil to get there :confused::confused::confused:

spiceboy
Apr 2nd, 2012, 01:10 PM
Someone alredy wrote that it will remain in Barcelone... :wavey:

Officially they say so. Unoficially there is 99% of chances the tournament won't be held in Barcelona anymore.

njnetswill
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:37 PM
Russia is much bigger and has only one tournament. :shrug: India is huge too any doesnt have any at the moment. US has more than US tennis deserves atm.

Neither of those are fair comparisons. There is not as much interest in tennis in India, and it is their own fault that tournaments in Hyderabad, Kolkata, etc. were not sustainable.

Russia's population is extremely skewed to the Western portion of the country. Geographically it is larger but there are fewer obvious locations for tour level events. Comparing it to the United States in terms of distribution of population centers is nonsense.

Tenis Srbija
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:44 PM
Neither of those are fair comparisons. There is not as much interest in tennis in India, and it is their own fault that tournaments in Hyderabad, Kolkata, etc. were not sustainable.

Russia's population is extremely skewed to the Western portion of the country. Geographically it is larger but there are fewer obvious locations for tour level events. Comparing it to the United States in terms of distribution of population centers is nonsense.

It's not 100 million of Russian live in Moscow ;) and it's not like every WTA tournament is held in a city that has multimillion population.

Moscow, St.Petersburg, Yekaterinburg, Novosibirsk, Omsk, Kazan...

macginity
Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:54 PM
About Memphis tournamet:
the owners of it want to sell it because it's not bringing profit to the club where it happens and to the owners. For what I've read they wanna sell both tournaments (ATP and WTA), but I'm not sure if they can sell the tournaments for different places.

@dizoo
Some people told me that if Rio really gets the Memphis spot, probably Brasília will get the WTA because São Paulo has the ATP and they wanna spread the tournaments around. About the facilities, it's not hard to do what they did in São Paulo most of the big cities can do the same.

Corswandt
Apr 2nd, 2012, 05:04 PM
Some people told me that if Rio really gets the Memphis spot, probably Brasília will get the WTA because São Paulo has the ATP and they wanna spread the tournaments around.

Brasília? Ouch. Send it to Rondônia since you're at it. :tape:

macginity
Apr 2nd, 2012, 05:09 PM
Brasília? Ouch. Send it to Rondônia since you're at it. :tape:

Excuse me, but what is the problem with Brasília? And what is the problem with the state of Rondônia?

Corswandt
Apr 2nd, 2012, 05:36 PM
Excuse me, but what is the problem with Brasília? And what is the problem with the state of Rondônia?

"Bring your own machete."

macginity
Apr 2nd, 2012, 05:38 PM
"Bring your own machete."

Ok, whatever.
Probably you have no idea of what you are talking about.

FORZA SARITA
Apr 2nd, 2012, 05:42 PM
nandinha :hearts:

Corswandt
Apr 2nd, 2012, 06:00 PM
Ok, whatever.
Probably you have no idea of what you are talking about.

:facepalm: Forcing me to explain myself. Who's clueless here?

Probably you have no idea of the problems with staging tournaments in cities/areas off the beaten track so to speak. Rio de Janeiro might act like a magnet to players. Brasília certainly won't.

macginity
Apr 2nd, 2012, 06:13 PM
:facepalm: Forcing me to explain myself. Who's clueless here?

Probably you have no idea of the problems with staging tournaments in cities/areas off the beaten track so to speak. Rio de Janeiro might act like a magnet to players. Brasília certainly won't.

Brasília isn't known outside Brasil as much as Rio de Janeiro, that is for sure. I am not talking about this.
But off the beaten track??? Really?
If the capital of the country and 4th biggest city in here (population of 2,5 million people) is not ok I might say that a lot of tournaments held in smaller cities are not ok too?

And I might say something really stupid here but I think that players don't care much if a tournament is held in city A or B if they get their prize money without problems and if the tournament has a good organization.

dizoo
Apr 2nd, 2012, 07:09 PM
Brasília isn't known outside Brasil as much as Rio de Janeiro, that is for sure. I am not talking about this.
But off the beaten track??? Really?
If the capital of the country and 4th biggest city in here (population of 2,5 million people) is not ok I might say that a lot of tournaments held in smaller cities are not ok too?

And I might say something really stupid here but I think that players don't care much if a tournament is held in city A or B if they get their prize money without problems and if the tournament has a good organization.

i can see you have a point, but i really think that won't be outside sao paulo or rio de janeiro, it will be hard to bring a good public outside these cities

macginity
Apr 2nd, 2012, 08:21 PM
i can see you have a point, but i really think that won't be outside sao paulo or rio de janeiro, it will be hard to bring a good public outside these cities

The biggest problem with Rio is the date. If the tournament happens near carnaval, forget about it. It'll be a mess in every way. And the public would be even less than in Tashkent and the others empty stands that we can see on the tour.

I think São Paulo is a better option than Rio, but they need to see when the tournament will be held first.
And in Brasília there are a lot of people that like tennis. And as the city is in the center of the country is not that hard to go there (actually to the people of north and northeast of Brasil it's easier to go to Brasília than Rio and São Paulo).

Anyway, I'm just happy that we gonna have a event here again, no matter where it'll be held.

chingching
Apr 2nd, 2012, 08:31 PM
You would think that when you "purchase" a tournament, you are purchasing a time slot also. Not in the WTA's case. They purchased Marbella's right most likely but can move the dates.

Now, if they can fix the Acapulco/Memphis/Monterrey mess and add Brazil in there, February is a good month of smaller events in North America :yeah:

If they made all of the tournaments hardocurt, then they would get a much better field

HOS
Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:47 PM
It will be intersteing to see where they put this tounament in the calender...Feb is pretty full, can't see them wanting to have 3 events in a week for 2 weeks (they shouldn't do it at all!!) Paris should move to fall (indoor season with Moscow, Linz, Lux and also move Copenhagen there too...needs a bit of manipulation but you could do it and not have more than 2 events per week), but this won't happen...therefore, do they play this event same week as Charlie (after Miami) or play it the week after Chalie (move Copenhagen again)? or radical idea...move Bogata Miami against Chalie and then the following week Brazil...so you have a central american seing (meixco x 2) before Indian Wells and then a S amercian after Miam (Brazil and Bogata??)

spiceboy
Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:58 PM
Paris should move to fall

In your dreams. Organizers would never place this tournament anywhere near Paris Bercy Master Series.

njnetswill
Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:51 AM
It's not 100 million of Russian live in Moscow ;) and it's not like every WTA tournament is held in a city that has multimillion population.

Moscow, St.Petersburg, Yekaterinburg, Novosibirsk, Omsk, Kazan...

Of course, not all Russians live in Moscow and St. Petersburg, but I just think it's going to be hard to find sponsors for a tournament held in Yekaterinburg or Omsk. :tape: I mean, if a tournament as popular and beautiful as Amelia Island can't stay on the calendar, I don't see many success stories in Russia either. :lol:

macginity
Apr 6th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Some news about the tournament:
- The president of the Brazilian Tennis Confederation said that they (WTA and Brazilian organizers) wanna make the tournament in February on hard courts. The tournament would be like a preparation for Indian Wells-Miami. He said that they're thinking about february 25th for next year.
- 4 states showed interest in hold the tournament: São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Santa Catarina and Distrito Federal (Brasília).

If somebody wants to read more about it I'll leave here the link to the article, but it's in portuguese.
http://tenisbrasil.uol.com.br/noticias/12327/WTA-brasileiro-deve-ser-em-fevereiro-no-piso-duro/

deboraski
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:16 PM
I agree being on HC, but the date is not very good because we may play the same time of Monterrey. And we still dont know about Memphis (if we, the City of Rio, are going to buy it or not their date).

So we got the week between the Middle-East and Indian Wells plus we will be sharing the date with Monterrey? :confused:

macginity
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:32 PM
I agree being on HC, but the date is not very good because we may play the same time of Monterrey. And we still dont know about Memphis (if we, the City of Rio, are going to buy it or not their date).

So we got the week between the Middle-East and Indian Wells plus we will be sharing the date with Monterrey? :confused:

It's not official yet. If Rio really gets the Memphis spot this date will probably change.
But I agree with you, this is not a good date. I would prefer the week after Miami on clay. But it's better than the week after AO.

dizoo
Apr 6th, 2012, 06:17 PM
i really hope they bring the tournament to São Paulo, it's the place that is most likely to have a good audience.

Trigo
Apr 7th, 2012, 06:21 AM
I know they're already talking about February 25th...
But I think something is quite not working.

Acapulco is a WTA+ATP tournament, so I don't see it moving from the calendar slot. Also, I really don't see WTA having THREE tournaments the week before IW.
So, what does it mean to Kuala Lumpur? Will it be moved?

I don't know about the Memphis situation. But let's be honest: It'd be the perfect slot for a tournament in Brazil (clay, of course)!
Let's dream: LATIN AMERICAN CLAY SWING!
Feb 4 - Cali (ITF 100K+H)
Feb 11 - Bogota
Feb 18 - Brazil
Feb 25 - Acapulco

This way Monterrey (HC) could stay at Feb 18. And the girls who choose geography over courts when deciding their schedules could still play two tournaments in Mexico.

macginity
Apr 7th, 2012, 08:47 PM

Acapulco is a WTA+ATP tournament, so I don't see it moving from the calendar slot. Also, I really don't see WTA having THREE tournaments the week before IW.

I don't know about the Memphis situation. But let's be honest: It'd be the perfect slot for a tournament in Brazil (clay, of course)!
Feb 11 - Bogota
Feb 18 - Brazil
Feb 25 - Acapulco

This way Monterrey (HC) could stay at Feb 18. And the girls who choose geography over courts when deciding their schedules could still play two tournaments in Mexico.

There's a lot of speculation going on about dates, places and courts.
IMO nothing can be decided before the Memphis-Rio issue. But if this issue isn't solved by july then probably the tournament will be in middle-end of february. Although I'm not really sure about the hard courts.

guichard
Apr 9th, 2012, 03:47 PM

Feb 11 - Bogota
Feb 18 - Brazil
Feb 25 - Acapulco

Yes, it is Memphis. According to Daniel Kaplan of Sports Bussiness journal

Also in SBJ, IMG has deal to buy Memphis ATP and WTA stops and move them to Rio to be part of Brazil sports venture. ATP approval pending
WTA has already approved conditioned on events remain combined. ATP bd meeting next week

https://twitter.com/#!/dkaplanSBJ

macginity
Apr 9th, 2012, 04:15 PM
^^
Well, so now I guess the february spot is for the Memphis-Rio tournament.
Let's see when will be the Marbella-Brasil one.

dizoo
Apr 10th, 2012, 01:28 PM
There are some news...WTA already agreed with the change from Memphis to Rio de Janeiro as long as the tournament is still "combined", what would mean 1 ATP 500, 1 ATP 250 and 2 WTA of 220 K....

let's wait and see.

dizoo
May 16th, 2012, 01:45 PM
It's approved the date of February 25, 2013 for the Brazilian WTA, will be played on synthetic surface. It will be played prior to Indian Wells and Miami. The site is still in dispute: Florianopolis, Sao Paulo, Brasilia and Salvador are interested.