PDA

View Full Version : WWW Doha 2R: [1] Vika Azarenka v Mona Barthel

SAISAI-GOAT
Feb 13th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Mona :devil:

Simugna Help
Feb 13th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Mona, take your revenge on the shrieking demon. :cheer: It wouldn't be a first slam without the post slam hiccup. :oh:

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 13th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I'd love Mona to win. But realistically, I'm sorry, but I'd say her chances are pretty low.

Tomic
Feb 13th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Well Match will be much Harder from the AO I Hope, My Guess Vika 6-4 7-5, or 3-6 6-4 6-2. I wont put nothing past Mona if she wins the girl got Game lol

joy division
Feb 13th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Mona is a really good player but she will not (yet) be able to beat Vika.

Gilas.
Feb 13th, 2012, 05:18 PM
REVENGE! :armed:

Edy.
Feb 13th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Vika 6:1 6:0

cowsonice
Feb 13th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Post-GS slump?

Galang
Feb 13th, 2012, 07:25 PM
lmao 40% voting mona

dsanders06
Feb 13th, 2012, 07:29 PM
8 votes for Barthel? What the fuck?

Azarenka should win something like 6-1 6-0.

Dugavljan
Feb 13th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Mona will take one set.

John.
Feb 13th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Vika in a similar score to their AO match

Owlboy79
Feb 13th, 2012, 08:40 PM
should be routine for vika

fede33
Feb 13th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Fight Mona !!!!! :armed::armed:

jameshazza
Feb 13th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Post slam slump pleeeeeeease :hysteric:

saul1333
Feb 13th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Please don't lose this match :scared:

goldenlox
Feb 13th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Is Vika's back okay? She was there for Fed Cup but didnt play at the last minute. Mona will test her and see if she's healthy

sweetadri06
Feb 13th, 2012, 09:23 PM
I think Mona can make a set competitive but i don't expect her to win. Atleast not yet.....

donellcarey
Feb 13th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Mona can take more games than she did in AO from Vika, even a set, but I don't see big chances of her winning.

It'd be nice if she could make the upset though.

Chaosm21
Feb 13th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Maybe post slump :)

Sweety Darling
Feb 13th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Take out the trash, Mona ;)

faboozadoo15
Feb 13th, 2012, 09:50 PM
I don't know what condition Azarenka is in, but I think she'll win a competitive match here.

The difference between Azarenka and Li, Kvitova, and Stosur is that he major win didn't come out of nowhere, and she's got a drinding type game that doesn't rely on taking a lot of risks.

mac47
Feb 13th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Vika pulled out of that Fed Cup tie because she didn't want her brand spanking new #1 ranking to be made ridiculous by the huge beatdown Serena would have laid on her.

Break My Rapture
Feb 13th, 2012, 10:24 PM
If Vika's back is 100% again, she wins this in straights.

LOL @ people hoping for a slump. Post-GS slump is more something for streaky winners like Ivanovic/Schiavone/Stosur, as they have a purple patch in their career and then return to mediocre levels. Azarenka plays at a fairly high level every other match, which is why she's so efficient in cleaning up scrubs in the first place. She's basically too consistent (if healthy) to go into a slump, even after a GS win.

Break My Rapture
Feb 13th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Vika pulled out of that Fed Cup tie because she didn't want her brand spanking new #1 ranking to be made ridiculous by the huge beatdown Serena would have laid on her.
Serena lost a set to Yakimova. :lol: I'm sure Vika would've elected to play if she was physically capable, after seeing how horrible Williams is playing.

Mynarco
Feb 14th, 2012, 02:03 AM
Barthel must be tired. Azarenka in 2

In The Zone
Feb 14th, 2012, 02:07 AM

LOL @ people hoping for a slump. Post-GS slump is more something for streaky winners like Ivanovic/Schiavone/Stosur, as they have a purple patch in their career and then return to mediocre levels. Azarenka plays at a fairly high level every other match, which is why she's so efficient in cleaning up scrubs in the first place. She's basically too consistent (if healthy) to go into a slump, even after a GS win.

And how do you know this? Based on what evidence after her other grand slam wins? :weirdo:

young_gunner913
Feb 14th, 2012, 02:10 AM

I'm pretty sure Kvitova was like 2-3 in her next three tournaments after winning Wimbledon including a R1 loss at the US Open.

CloudAtlas
Feb 14th, 2012, 03:02 AM
I don't think Azarenka will be affected by the post GS win slump curse , quite the opposite. Much like Djokovic I expect this to enhance her confidence and allow her to relax and play more freely.

Barthel is surely exhausted at this point so I expect Vika to win this in 2 sets. One easily the other with minor resistance from Mona, who I don't feel is quite ready to take on the big guns just yet.

Break My Rapture
Feb 14th, 2012, 03:53 PM
And how do you know this? Based on what evidence after her other grand slam wins? :weirdo:
It's just my opinion and a guess. It's not rocket science that Azarenka dispatches scrubs easily, winning a slam is not going to change that (if she's physically healthy for this tournament). Her confidence is filled to the brim now as well. She's not a streaky player like Ivanovic, Stosur and all the others I mentioned there. :shrug:
I'm pretty sure Kvitova was like 2-3 in her next three tournaments after winning Wimbledon including a R1 loss at the US Open.
Yes Kvitova too, I forgot to mention her in that list of examples.

dsanders06
Feb 14th, 2012, 04:37 PM

I don't think playing style has anything to do with it (especially as Stosur's game is actually pretty conservative), but I agree I don't expect Azarenka to slump at all either. It's more because Azarenka has been considered one of the WTA's marquee names and had a lot of attention from the mainstream tennis press for nearly 3 years now, so the elevation in attention after winning a Slam will be relatively easy for her to adjust to because she's already used to the attention ... whereas someone like Kvitova (and historically, Serena and Sharapova), who's first Slam came pretty much totally out of the blue, had to deal with a much bigger step up in the attention on her in a short space of time. Azarenka will probably be more like Justine and Kim, who also had been in the top tier for a few years before they won their first Slam and so didn't have to adjust much and so picked up with their best form immediately afterwards.

Vikapower
Feb 14th, 2012, 05:10 PM
I don't think Azarenka will be affected by the post GS win slump curse , quite the opposite. Much like Djokovic I expect this to enhance her confidence and allow her to relax and play more freely.

Yeah. I'm really impatient to see worry-less Vika. She doesn't have these questions anymore asking herself and also the Damocles spear of the medias, if she can, will etc... like the last 3 years, will be awesome free-spirited tennis. :D

Style of play, statistical data IDK what evidence you want -- Vika even when she's not feeling right in herself does have that % game on which she can rely which is good enough to defeat any player who'd probably be not a hot ball striker ; post slam slump my arse lol.

She's an extremely steady player in her game, level of play, against at least more than the majority of the field these are undeniable absolute facts the last 3 years and there's no reason why that's going to change all of a sudden unless if she secretly operated a drastic change in her mindset and game-style.

Vika (if totally fit) in 2 easy. Mona. :hug:

Break My Rapture
Feb 14th, 2012, 05:26 PM
I don't think playing style has anything to do with it (especially as Stosur's game is actually pretty conservative), but I agree I don't expect Azarenka to slump at all either. It's more because Azarenka has been considered one of the WTA's marquee names and had a lot of attention from the mainstream tennis press for nearly 3 years now, so the elevation in attention after winning a Slam will be relatively easy for her to adjust to because she's already used to the attention ... whereas someone like Kvitova (and historically, Serena and Sharapova), who's first Slam came pretty much totally out of the blue, had to deal with a much bigger step up in the attention on her in a short space of time. Azarenka will probably be more like Justine and Kim, who also had been in the top tier for a few years before they won their first Slam and so didn't have to adjust much and so picked up with their best form immediately afterwards.
Stosur's playing style makes her the ultimate match-up player, which makes her streaky IMO.

StoneRose
Feb 14th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Vika's probably healthy or she wouldn't have played. If so she'll win in straights.

InsideOut.
Feb 14th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Azarenka will be nervous playing as the no.1 player for the first time, so it'll be slightly more competitive, but she'll still win 6-4 6-2.

ReboundAce
Feb 14th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Vika will retire so that she has a reason not to play Dubai :)

matthias
Feb 14th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Mona seems to be tired, i donīt expect a close match
Vika in easy 2 sets