PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Petra's American Spring Hard Court Season

Pages : [1] 2

cosmoose
Feb 13th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Let this become the discussion thread for Petra's spring hard court tournaments.

Doha, Dubai, Indian Wells and Miami.

So post tournament draws, match reports, relevant pictures and much much more here! :D

Petronius
Feb 13th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Nice thread, cosmoose. My first contribution is this pic from Qatar. Petra's not playing, but ...

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt320/Janko_107/Nole%20the%20best/13022012459.jpg

bruce goose
Feb 14th, 2012, 02:27 AM
Yeah,thanks,Cosmoose:)---Petra's not playing yet but,then again,it's not even Spring,either,so who gives a f--k!!:p....The low-key thread title works okay,too

cosmoose
Feb 14th, 2012, 02:51 AM
Nice thread, cosmoose. My first contribution is this pic from Qatar. Petra's not playing, but ...

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt320/Janko_107/Nole%20the%20best/13022012459.jpg

That's what I call LOOMING! :eek:

Petra casts a giant shadow on women's tennis, even when she is not there physically :worship:

bruce goose
Feb 14th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Dang,Petronius!I would've missed the symbolism if you and Cosmoose hadn't declared it outright,but that IS an interesting touch that Petra:hearts:,even in her absence,looks down over the other players

AfroIYH
Feb 15th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Since Wozniacki had fallen back into her hole with her coach, things should be a bit easier.

Barktra
Feb 16th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Petra's intimidating when she is not even there :lol: :worship:

Tomic
Feb 16th, 2012, 02:05 AM
Is Petra still playing Dubai I know they said Li na out and King, And twitter saying JJ might not play, So she need to come we dont need nomore WD

cosmoose
Feb 16th, 2012, 03:49 AM
Petra's intimidating when she is not even there :lol: :worship:

Her wall mural is worthy of third world dictator! :lol:

Generalissimo Kvitova with Deputy Stosur surveying the proletarians at work!

bruce goose
Feb 16th, 2012, 06:13 AM

Generalissimo Kvitova with Deputy Stosur surveying the proletarians at work!Most generalissimos have been fascists,I think,but I can accept your premise somewhat....still,Petra needs to play one of our tourneys before she starts using our language to promote her new military ranking;)

Petronius
Feb 16th, 2012, 11:33 AM

Generalissimo Kvitova with Deputy Stosur surveying the proletarians at work!

Most generalissimos have been fascists,I think,but I can accept your premise somewhat....still,Petra needs to play one of our tourneys before she starts using our language to promote her new military ranking;)

Well, considering that Fulnek is situated just one-hour drive from Slavkov (Austerlitz), which saw the biggest military triumph of this guy, who once had the whole of Europe at his mercy

http://21stcenturywire.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/napoleon_bonapartes.jpg

I would not be surprised, if Petra had made a school trip to the battle site and got some inspiration :lol:

Martina CZ
Feb 16th, 2012, 12:45 PM
I would not be surprised, if Petra had made a school trip to the battle site and got some inspiration :lol:

Yup, it looks like this - favorite one when reenactors are in their best.
Our class (many years back) was and to my knowledge it is one of the more popular school trips.

Petronius
Feb 16th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Nice picture. I actually have a French cousin (HR manager at a French-owned Czech bank), who visits the site every year and takes part in the replay of this famous battle. Of course, he fights on the French side :lol:

BTW, that's a great picture of Martina you have as your avatar, I didn't know her legs were so toned :eek:

PetraReeMona
Feb 16th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Is she playing Copenhagen? :oh::p

j/k :devil:

OFF TOPIC: I know it's a long way ahead, but does anyone have any idea if Petra will play Eastbourne again this year? I wanna go and see her :bounce::bounce:

AfroIYH
Feb 16th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Is she playing Copenhagen? :oh::p

j/k :devil:

OFF TOPIC: I know it's a long way ahead, but does anyone have any idea if Petra will play Eastbourne again this year? I wanna go and see her :bounce::bounce:

Murray's confirmed he'll play Queen's Club, so I'd expect an answer within the next few weeks.

PetraReeMona
Feb 16th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Murray's confirmed he'll play Queen's Club, so I'd expect an answer within the next few weeks.

Great. Could you please let me know if you hear anything :)

DemiCrayanhan
Feb 17th, 2012, 07:08 PM
that picture is awesome. it's like she's overseeing the ceremonies and reminding the field they are winning cause she's not there. love it. dubai can't come soon enough.

anyone know if there's news on her achilles?

paulmara
Feb 17th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Petra: „ I´m looking forward to Dubai. I believe that everything that troubled me will be fine."

http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=20970180&postcount=897

Meelis
Feb 18th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Dubai draw

(1)Victoria Azarenka (BLR) v BYE
Julia Goerges (GER) v Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS)
Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) v Q
Shuai Peng (CHN) v (6)Marion Bartoli (FRA)

(3)Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) v BYE
Q v Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (RUS)
Maria Kirilenko (RUS) v Monica Niculescu (ROU)
Ana Ivanovic (SRB) v (7)Francesca Schiavone (ITA)

(8)Jelena Jankovic (SRB) v Petra Cetkovska (CZE)
Anabel Medina Garrigues (ESP) v Flavia Pennetta (ITA)
Lucie Safarova (CZE) v Q
(4)Samantha Stosur (AUS) v BYE

(5)Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) v Sabine Lisicki (GER)
(wc)Fatma Al Nabhani (OMA) v (wc)Shahar Peer (ISR)
Dominika Cibulkova (SVK) v Q
(2)Petra Kvitova (CZE) v BYE

paulmara
Feb 18th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Cibulkova lost to Pennetta (Doha), lost to Keothavong (Pattaya), beat Parmantier (Fed Cup), lost to Razzano (Fed cup), lost to Arn (Australian Open), beat Rybarikova (Australian Open), lost to Wozniacki (Sydney), beat Peng (Sydney) and lost to Hantuchova (Brisbane)

AfroIYH
Feb 18th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Cibulkova lost to Pennetta (Doha), lost to Keothavong (Pattaya), beat Parmantier (Fed Cup), lost to Razzano (Fed cup), lost to Arn (Australian Open), beat Rybarikova (Australian Open), lost to Wozniacki (Sydney), beat Peng (Sydney) and lost to Hantuchova (Brisbane)

Our Anne K has bloomed late on tour I'd hope it's not short term but don't diss :), besides Cibulkova has a great ass would be nice to see it getting thrashed on court by Kvitova.

Excelscior
Feb 18th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Though that's a good draw for Petra, I'm certainly not going to count my chickens before there hatched, especially when Petra hasn't played the past several weeks (whether it's against Cibulkova, or not). We'll see!? Good luck to her.

And just so you all know, I did pick Petra to win the tournament previously, but I'm not going to disrespect any of her possible competitors in the process.

Look what happened at the Australian with Masha (and yes I know she's a better player than Petra's Doha draw, but still)? We all thought (with a few exceptions) she was going to win that one, and should of.

Corswandt
Feb 18th, 2012, 08:15 PM
The draw is good - Petrikova has all her bitches lined up.

She's going to flop hard, though. But we shouldn't worry about it.

cosmoose
Feb 18th, 2012, 10:14 PM
I beg you Petra, win this thing and spank Vika for me!

PetraReeMona
Feb 19th, 2012, 01:08 AM
I beg you Petra, win this thing and spank Vika for me!

:haha: I was thinking EXACTLY the same :lol:

PetraReeMona
Feb 19th, 2012, 01:09 AM
The draw is good - Petrikova has all her bitches lined up.

She's going to flop hard, though. But we shouldn't worry about it.

You really think that?

bruce goose
Feb 19th, 2012, 06:36 AM
If anyone gets any practice-court reports on Petra,please share them;would LOVE to know how well she's moving and swinging the stick

paulmara
Feb 19th, 2012, 10:06 AM
In Saturday´s papers they mentioned she is flying to Dubai next week. So she is still training in Prostějov (near Newark).

Petronius
Feb 19th, 2012, 01:24 PM
:haha: I was thinking EXACTLY the same :lol:

Miss Azarenka should first prove that she's able to beat Caroline

10/28/2009 15:05 C. Wozniacki - V. Azarenka 2 : 1 (1 : 6) (6 : 4) (7 : 5)
10/01/2010 06:05 C. Wozniacki - V. Azarenka 2 : 1 (6 : 2) (6 : 7) (6 : 4)
03/17/2011 19:05 C. Wozniacki - V. Azarenka 1 : 0 (3 : 0)

If she does that, she can then take on Petra:

06/26/2010 13:05 P. Kvitova - V. Azarenka 2 : 0 (7 : 5) (6 : 0)
05/08/2011 15:35 V. Azarenka - P. Kvitova 0 : 2 (6 : 7) (4 : 6)
06/30/2011 14:05 V. Azarenka - P. Kvitova 1 : 2 (1 : 6) (6 : 3) (2 : 6)
10/30/2011 16:05 P. Kvitova - V. Azarenka 2 : 1 (7 : 5) (4 : 6) (6 : 3)

And if a miracle happens and she beats both Caro and Petra she can finally clash with Serena

06/30/2009 16:50 V. Azarenka - S. Williams 0 : 2 (2 : 6) (3 : 6)
01/27/2010 04:20 S. Williams - V. Azarenka 2 : 1 (4 : 6) (7 : 6) (6 : 2)
08/14/2011 00:35 V. Azarenka - S. Williams 0 : 2 (3 : 6) (3 : 6)
09/03/2011 22:10 V. Azarenka - S. Williams 0 : 2 (1 : 6) (6 : 7)

:angel:

Corswandt
Feb 19th, 2012, 03:25 PM
You really think that?

Temp. 30+ C., strong winds and sandstorms. She'd lose to absolutely anyone in these conditions even if she gave a shit, and I very much doubt she does.

bruce goose
Feb 19th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Corswandt is in neurotic panic mode again...which isn't totally bad b/c Petra won a big title last year during one of those panicked stretches

AfroIYH
Feb 19th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Miss Azarenka should first prove that she's able to beat Caroline

Petra needs to be able to face her before she 'has' to be able to beat Wozniacki, and as far as Serena goes the twilight of her career is over, would be surprised if she could make another final of a Slam.

Mynarco
Feb 19th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Cibulkova/Q should be easy. But you never know this woman. Good luck in Dubai, your draw is soft.

Mynarco
Feb 19th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Think about if Petra wasn't that useless against Sharapova (i.e. trusted her FHDTL more, had better movement etc), things might have had a different trajectory atm

I am a fan of both so I don't really care nonetheless.

Excelscior
Feb 19th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Corswandt is in neurotic panic mode again...which isn't totally bad b/c Petra won a big title last year during one of those panicked stretches

Let's be honest. Petra won several tournaments last year when he was in some of those panicked stretches/modes. :) :lol: :)

On another note. Is it just my computer, or do you guys notice that the background of the site is white now (and not maroon/the dark color)?

Weird.

plokploky
Feb 19th, 2012, 09:01 PM
I am pissed beyond belief and I think petra is the only one who can calm me now. She has an incredibly easy quarter if domi is still in the form she has had for most of the year and radwanska can't hit hard to save her life and lisicki is shit at the moment.

Anyway, I am pissed because vika just destroyed on of my faves, who better get to the semis(before losing to petra of course), and now the vika fans are throwing the 'our fave just won 3 tournies in a row' excuse just because sam played awfully and is one of her pigeons(:sobbing:). So now, I hope vika gets the final. I hope she gets there easily and no drama and totally healthy, so then petra can destroy her. Maybe even 2 bakery prducts, but vika is too consistent for that. This is the only way I will stop being pissed.[/rant]

Petronius
Feb 19th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Petra needs to be able to face her before she 'has' to be able to beat Wozniacki, and as far as Serena goes the twilight of her career is over, would be surprised if she could make another final of a Slam.

I'm not so sure about Serena. McEnroe recently said she still has a capacity to win 4-5 slams. Both Navratilova and Evert won slams after 30 years of age. Navratilova won her last Wimbledon at almost 34 years of age and was the runner-up four years later.

If Serena is healthy and motivated, she can easily bounce back and win Wimbledon and/or the Olympics.

Excelscior
Feb 19th, 2012, 09:27 PM
I am pissed beyond belief and I think petra is the only one who can calm me now. She has an incredibly easy quarter if domi is still in the form she has had for most of the year and radwanska can't hit hard to save her life and lisicki is shit at the moment.

Anyway, I am pissed because vika just destroyed on of my faves, who better get to the semis(before losing to petra of course), and now the vika fans are throwing the 'our fave just won 3 tournies in a row' excuse just because sam played awfully and is one of her pigeons(:sobbing:). So now, I hope vika gets the final. I hope she gets there easily and no drama and totally healthy, so then petra can destroy her. Maybe even 2 bakery prducts, but vika is too consistent for that. This is the only way I will stop being pissed.[/rant]

"Patience young Skywalker!"

Just/let's take it one match at a time.

Excelscior
Feb 19th, 2012, 09:30 PM
I'm not so sure about Serena. McEnroe recently said she still has a capacity to win 4-5 slams. Both Navratilova and Evert won slams after 30 years of age. Navratilova won her last Wimbledon at almost 34 years of age and was the runner-up four years later.

If Serena is healthy and motivated, she can easily bounce back and win Wimbledon and/or the Olympics.

With all due respect to the Great John McEnroe, Petronius. He's nuts!!

A lot of things would have to happen for Serena to win 4-5 more Major titles. I think she'd get frustrated and quit by then (than to hang around and wait till she could eek out those 4-5 major titles in her near geriatric, inconsistent playing/form, and injury prone body). Maybe one or two the most for old times sake. That's it!

Good Luck with that prediction/expectation. :confused: :help: :confused:

PS: Serena doesn't have the schedule (she doesn't play a lot), the body (she's big and heavy), the health or dedication that Navratilova showed/had in similar stages. Not sure you can make a direct comparison between the two in the first place.

mac47
Feb 19th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Also, the way tennis is played nowadays is far less conducive to long careers. The "chase down every ball" style popularized by Nadal and Djokovic would never result in anyone still being in slam contention in their late 30's. But the serve and volley game that Navrayilova played held her in good stead until she was almost 40, and she could still be in the top 5 and be a perennial slam contender in doubles if she wanted to do it.

I think Petra will have a nice, long career. She's not doing anything that looks like it would abuse her body on the court.

Excelscior
Feb 19th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Also, the way tennis is played nowadays is far less conducive to long careers. The "chase down every ball" style popularized by Nadal and Djokovic would never result in anyone still being in slam contention in their late 30's. But the serve and volley game that Navrayilova played held her in good stead until she was almost 40, and she could still be in the top 5 and be a perennial slam contender in doubles if she wanted to do it.

I think Petra will have a nice, long career. She's not doing anything that looks like it would abuse her body on the court.

I was thinking the same thing Mac. But I didn't bring it up, cause Serena doesn't play much (though you're right, the style of play today, is still more strenuous on the body, when she does). Hence I more focused on Serena being out of form/kilter by not playing as much (along with her health/injury concerns).

Knock on wood. I also agree with you, regarding Petra's career durability, relative to her peers, cause of her playing style. Let's hope so?

mac47
Feb 19th, 2012, 11:09 PM

I totally hear you. I didn't mind Caro (herself, her fans are another story), but Vika really needs to be dethroned and put in her place. She is everything I hate about women's tennis: the limited baseline game, the pretentions to glamor, the goddamned shrieking. The finger in the air after her wins is poor taste personified. It was poor taste when Serena did it, and it's even worse with Vika.

I like Aga and Stosur, and wish Vika had lost to one of them.

But mostly I just miss watching Petra. I am so sick and tired of hearing that she's not a threat on outdoor hardcourt. If she shows up in good form she can destroy anyone on any surface.

Corswandt
Feb 20th, 2012, 12:01 AM
Petra [...] abuse her body

I would.

mac47
Feb 20th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Now, now, abuse is not the same thing as what St. Paul calls "the natural use of the female" (Romans 1:27). At least, I hope you did not mean more than that.

Corswandt
Feb 20th, 2012, 12:36 AM
the natural use of the female

Ironing my shirts.

Yellow Moon
Feb 20th, 2012, 12:56 AM
Ironing my shirts.
that's all :confused:? You poor soul...:rolleyes:

AfroIYH
Feb 20th, 2012, 01:22 AM

Well the big talk around the Aussie Open was how Serena was hating tennis, and with the fact she missed a year due to multitude with the fact she pulled out of Monterrey with an ankle injury I'm not thinking based on her age.

Excelscior
Feb 20th, 2012, 01:36 AM
Well the big talk around the Aussie Open was how Serena was hating tennis, and with the fact she missed a year due to multitude with the fact she pulled out of Monterrey with an ankle injury I'm not thinking based on her age.

At this stage of her career, Serena is effectively a part time player, who only plays for Majors, Premier Mandatories and the warm up events for them. That's it!

We'll see if she can do it this way, and still win?

bruce goose
Feb 20th, 2012, 05:18 AM
Not trying to stain SW's HOF legacy at all,but she has lost decisively in her last two runs in her favorite Slams(2011 USO and 2012 AO),so I no longer feel as though Petra needs to definitely 'go through' her in order to prove herself the best in the WTA

paulmara
Feb 20th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Petra : I pulled out from Dubai - illness

flyingmachine
Feb 20th, 2012, 09:05 AM
:sad:

Petronius
Feb 20th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Very sad. During weekend she had high fevers and on Sunday she ended up at emergency. Has been taking antibiotics since. :eek:

Mynarco
Feb 20th, 2012, 10:00 AM
:o

Petronius
Feb 20th, 2012, 10:01 AM
I totally hear you. I didn't mind Caro (herself, her fans are another story), but Vika really needs to be dethroned and put in her place. She is everything I hate about women's tennis: the limited baseline game, the pretentions to glamor, the goddamned shrieking. The finger in the air after her wins is poor taste personified. It was poor taste when Serena did it, and it's even worse with Vika.

I like Aga and Stosur, and wish Vika had lost to one of them.

But mostly I just miss watching Petra. I am so sick and tired of hearing that she's not a threat on outdoor hardcourt. If she shows up in good form she can destroy anyone on any surface.

THIS THIS THIS :yeah:

PetraReeMona
Feb 20th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Damn :sad:

I was so looking forward to seeing her.

I wish her well and pray she gets better very, very soon. All that journey for nothing :sad:

mac47
Feb 20th, 2012, 12:45 PM
I'm just gutted by the fact that I'm going to have to wait even longer to see our lovely lioness on the court again.

HowardH
Feb 20th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Get better soon babe.

Although people have some valid arguments against Serena's chances, I'm inclined to agree with you. It doesn't feel to me like Serena is going to be out of the mix during the next few years. I don't particularly tend to agree with Johnny Mac on a lot of things, but I do think Serena is undoubtedly still very elite. And her game, while it has some physicality, doesn't require anywhere near the amount of running that Nadal's or Djokovic's games do (or for that matter Caro's or Vika's games). I've seen her play pretty good tennis even when unable to run. Not sure how many, but if things fall her way and she is able to play the slams healthy, she definitely is capable of more slam titles. Petra will hopefully not make that easy for her, but I don't think anyone should underestimate Serena. If she wants another slam and she's healthy she will not be easy to stop.

Petra definitely should have some longevity in her game. Except she made that statement that she didn't intend to play past 30, or something like that. A bit of a shame.

The finger in the air after her wins is poor taste personified. It was poor taste when Serena did it, and it's even worse with Vika.

I don't like the way she celebrates these days either. It seems to be more over the top than before. I guess she's more of a "rough around the edges" kind of gal than an elegant one. I don't mind the glamorous off court shots though. However she is definitely playing very good tennis. Low failure rates, reaching the vast majority of balls, consistent depth. Tennis is, after all, about who fails to get that ball over the net and in the court more often. Vika hardly fails at all of late.

Of the younger generation I find it hard to think that anyone except Petra can take her down, because she is one of the few who can force any opponent to fail. I'm curious about what would happen if Vika and Caro were to play now. Both have incredibly low failure rates. Both reach a large number of balls. Vika has extra confidence now but I don't know if she would be comfortable being forced into a more aggressive role. After all she is an aggressive power grinder at heart (Caro is a kind of neutral or defensive grinder), not truly a shotmaker like Petra. I still believe firmly that a fit Kim or Serena will beat even this new version of Vika.

Anyway, now that I think about it, this tournament isn't really important for Petra. But recovering is. How long does regaining full fitness take I wonder, for someone like Petra? Her game isn't exactly fitness-centred. Maybe it won't matter that much.

mac47
Feb 20th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Howard, there's no doubt that Vika is good. I and others may loathe her, may hate watching her, but there's no question she deserves to be at #1, and is the best player on the tour at the moment.

cosmoose
Feb 20th, 2012, 01:53 PM
just for clarification, was Petra in Dubai or at her home when she announced her withdrawal?

AfroIYH
Feb 20th, 2012, 01:58 PM
I hope this doesn't turn into a Djokovicesque run, Djokovic lost comfortably to Federer in London in 2010 right before his big run, Azarenka's already 17-0 and lost to Petra in Istanbul I think there are similarities that could be drawn.

paulmara
Feb 20th, 2012, 01:58 PM
My guess she didn´t leave.

Sunday: „ In Saturday´s papers they mentioned she is flying to Dubai next week“
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=20979142&postcount=28

Excelscior
Feb 20th, 2012, 02:59 PM
just for clarification, was Petra in Dubai or at her home when she announced her withdrawal?

You must be thinking what I'm thinking (that if she was home, it wasn't a real excuse/illness)? :lol: :) :lol:

We'll see/find out, and see how she handles Indian Wells and her time off, when she finally gets to America?

Excelscior
Feb 20th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I hope this doesn't turn into a Djokovicesque run, Djokovic lost comfortably to Federer in London in 2010 right before his big run, Azarenka's already 17-0 and lost to Petra in Istanbul I think there are similarities that could be drawn.

Relax Young Skywalker.

Princess Petra will come back one day to save the Tennis Galaxy.

Excelscior
Feb 20th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Now I see the real reason why Petra didn't want to go.

It's cold over there right now. And that court is basically a band shell. I'm sure the wind will be brutal.

Kader Nouni is sitting on his high chair, laughing and freezing right now, cause he's so cold. Lol.

But I wish Petra did play after all, for so many reasons.

I guess we got to all wait longer now?

Gosh Darnit! Lol

pov
Feb 20th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Vika really needs to be dethroned and put in her place. She is everything I hate about women's tennis: the limited baseline game, the pretentions to glamor, the goddamned shrieking. The finger in the air after her wins is poor taste personified. It was poor taste when Serena did it, and it's even worse with Vika.

:haha: You're funny. In that oh so ridiculous way.Talk about a spoilsport. BTW many athletes - ATP players and in many other sports - put their in the air after wins.

Also, this is a sub-forum for Kvitova not for inane bashing of other players.

pov
Feb 20th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Now I see the real reason why Petra didn't want to go.

It's cold over there right now. And that court is basically a band shell. I'm sure the wind will be brutal.

Kader Nouni is sitting on his high chair, laughing and freezing right now, cause he's so cold. Lol.

I hope you're wrong. That wouldn't be an approach I have much respect for.

mac47
Feb 20th, 2012, 03:49 PM
:haha: You're funny. In that oh so ridiculous way.Talk about a spoilsport. BTW many athletes - ATP players and in many other sports - put their in the air after wins.

Also, this is a sub-forum for Kvitova not for inane bashing of other players.

It's a forum for Kvitova fans. I have my doubts about whether you are one.

AfroIYH
Feb 20th, 2012, 03:52 PM
GM has insane bashing of players during the matches, I don't think this sub-forum is particularly guilty of doing something the other sub-forums constantly do.

Vikapower
Feb 20th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Djokovicesque [...] Djokovic [...] Azarenka's already 17-0

You know people should stop drawing comparisons between Djokovic and Vika -- Djokovic is Djokovic, Vika is Vika and there's no such things as Djokovicesque run or whatsoever. Neither of these 2 invented the winning streak.

These kinds of very childish forms of rhetoric's have a tendency to be hyperbolic and amplify things more than they are validating any kind of historical [...] achievements. I think it's completely disproportionate for now and none of her fans for that matter show the immodesty to talk about her in Djokovic's league. The media's them, play their roles [...] careless.

As for Petra I'm really gutted she's had to go like that. :( The surface would have really suited her game from the first couple of matches I saw though it's pretty breezy.

Excelscior
Feb 20th, 2012, 05:02 PM
You know people should stop drawing comparisons between Djokovic and Vika -- Djokovic is Djokovic, Vika is Vika and there's no such things as Djokovicesque run or whatsoever. Neither of these 2 invented the winning streak.

These kinds of very childish forms of rhetoric's have a tendency to be hyperbolic and amplify things more than they are validating any kind of historical [...] achievements. I think it's completely disproportionate for now and none of her fans for that matter show the immodesty to talk about her in Djokovic's league. The media's them, play their roles [...] careless.

As for Petra I'm really gutted she's had to go like that. :( The surface would have really suited her game from the first couple of matches I saw though it's pretty breezy.

Yes. The conditions in Doha were very still, and all the matches took place in the late afternoon/evening (no sun).

And in Dubai, it's a faster court, with an excellent draw for Petra.

Oh well.

I wonder if she's truly resting up, she really got a virus, or it's something else we don't know about/haven't heard?

But like you, I wish I could of watched her play tomorrow. What ever it is; I hope she comes back healthy, in form and soon.

Now we'll just have to wait longer, again.

We miss our Petra.

Excelscior
Feb 20th, 2012, 05:06 PM
I hope you're wrong. That wouldn't be an approach I have much respect for.

That was a joke/more about the near wintry type conditions in Dubai. lol

I wished Petra played.

AfroIYH
Feb 20th, 2012, 05:07 PM

I never made the claim that Djokovic invented the winning streak, but comparisons can be drawn with Djokovic always constantly being injured prior to 2011, and Azarenka is very similar in that aspect, they both have an extremely annoying trait Djokovic bouncing the ball and Azarenka with her shriek. I don't think its childish or inappropriate to draw these kinds of similarities and definitely doesn't blow it out of proportion as both could easily be on their way to becoming the greatest of their generation. I think whatever's changed in Azarenka's mindset coming off last year is different from Djokovic's diet or mind from the year before.

Excelscior
Feb 20th, 2012, 05:18 PM
I never made the claim that Djokovic invented the winning streak, but comparisons can be drawn with Djokovic always constantly being injured prior to 2011, and Azarenka is very similar in that aspect, they both have an extremely annoying trait Djokovic bouncing the ball and Azarenka with her shriek. I don't think its childish or inappropriate to draw these kinds of similarities and definitely doesn't blow it out of proportion as both could easily be on their way to becoming the greatest of their generation. I think whatever's changed in Azarenka's mindset coming off last year is different from Djokovic's diet or mind from the year before.

So let me get this right now?

Vika could easily be on her way as the greatest of her generation from the first 6+ weeks of a tennis season? And Djokovic (albeit is better than Vika, and played out the whole year to boot) can also "easily be the greatest of his generation", while he's still 5 majors, and numerous titles behind Nadal?

I respect what their both doing immensely and don't want to take away from it/them in the slightest.

But you're getting waaaaaaaay carried away here.

Your Vika/Djokovic comparison (though I don't exactly agree or see it the way you do) made more sense than that statement. :lol: :tape: :lol:

How long you been following tennis? What Azarenka is doing now is not unprecedented. Many players start off the year great, just to fade away several weeks or months later (or get caught by other hot players into the year). You're only making this comparison, cause Novak was one of the rare players, that actually made it last. But the overwhelming majority don't. They peter out, or fall back to the back.

And with all due respect to Vika Power, I don't see Vika playing extraordinary tennis. It's solid for sure; but not extraordinary or unbeatable to me, by any means. It's the same tennis she played last year. She's just not running into Petra now. Good for her! I can't hate!

Djokovic, at least proved himself to be playing "unbeatable" tennis against all comers.

Can we at least wait to the end of the year first, regarding Vika :eek: :confused: :eek:

AfroIYH
Feb 20th, 2012, 05:38 PM
I feel happy enough to make the jump that either Djokovic or Azarenka could become the greatest of their generation it's achievable with a good year in their belt, having said its also in the realm of possibility for Kvitova (to get back on topic), I'm sure she'll come light up the European Clay/Grass season.

Excelscior
Feb 20th, 2012, 05:52 PM
I feel happy enough to make the jump that either Djokovic or Azarenka could become the greatest of their generation it's achievable with a good year in their belt, having said its also in the realm of possibility for Kvitova (to get back on topic), I'm sure she'll come light up the European Clay/Grass season.

Were you saying this the last three years, when Vika went through disappointment after disappointment as a top ranked player?

Vika is a PID (Pusher in Disguise). Don't be fooled.

Read Laurie's comments from yesterday (if you can find them).

Just search her name, look for the post and find her article/comments on contrasting players through the years. It's very salient and prescient writing.

She wrote an article detailing, how over the years, the Wozniaki-Azarenka type player can sneak into # 1 for several months or 1-2 years, before the more talented player (who takes longer to develop), but ultimately the more talented player eventually takes over number one, and stays there a lot longer, winning more grand slams.

Vika falls into this realm against Petra as well (albeit she's better than Wozniaki). I agree with Laurie.

Don't be a front runner. A generation last a whole lot longer, than up until clay season this year.

pov
Feb 20th, 2012, 06:24 PM
I have my doubts about whether you are one.
Excellent! {rest deleted because why bother}

pov
Feb 20th, 2012, 06:31 PM
I wished Petra played.
Yeah. As well. I think we all were.

Corswandt
Feb 20th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Temp. 30+ C., strong winds and sandstorms. She'd lose to absolutely anyone in these conditions even if she gave a shit, and I very much doubt she does.

As expected. It wouldn't make any sense to skip one of the Gulf events and then play the other.

PetraReeMona
Feb 20th, 2012, 10:25 PM
It's a forum for Kvitova fans. I have my doubts about whether you are one.

:yeah:

More like the Internet Police :rolleyes:

If that poster doesn't like what we say in here, there's always an easy answer ...... Don't come in here. Simples ;)

Sharapovian
Feb 20th, 2012, 11:29 PM
As expected. It wouldn't make any sense to skip one of the Gulf events and then play the other.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Would have been pointless having to travel all the way there just to play one of those tournaments especially with 2 big tournaments coming up. At least now, she can practice for a week or so on the US hardcourts, get used to the conditions.

Who knows, maybe she really is ill, but either way wouldn't have made much sense to play here.

Mynarco
Feb 21st, 2012, 12:01 AM
The problem is she has NO warmup going to IW-Miami.

Excelscior
Feb 21st, 2012, 12:10 AM
The problem is she has NO warmup going to IW-Miami.

Agreed.

But I guess with the 96 person draw (even with a first round bye), she feels she can play her way back into form. :eek: :confused: :eek: That would be 5 matches.

We'll see/we hope.

PS:

I wish when Petra's off, she could practice her serve more, so when she starts off in a tournament at least she'll have that aspect clicking. It's certainly one thing that she can work on when she's not playing, that can actually help her when she IS playing, as she waits on her ground stroke and return game.

That's one of the things that Serena works on/practices when she's off (cause she knows she can keep that a relative constant).

Mynarco
Feb 21st, 2012, 12:21 AM
The thing is there are so many unseeded and looming in the draw. I hope she will get a good draw otherwise :unsure:

Sharapovian
Feb 21st, 2012, 12:31 AM
True, but I don't think matchplay matters much in this case. The conditions will be much different in Dubai compared to the US. Perhaps some matchplay would have been good, but in this case I think it's a wise decision. :shrug:

If she's playing well, she's playing well - matchplay or not. She said she wasn't feeling the ball well, or something along those lines, even practice alone can help with that. She obviously hasn't forgotten how to play a tennis match :lol: so the main concern isn't matchplay but in Petra's case it's more about the conditions, how she feels about her game. See what I mean?

Maybe I'm wrong and the lack of matchplay will have an effect, but her team are clearly trying a different approach. Now all that remains to be seen is how that will pan out.

bruce goose
Feb 21st, 2012, 01:25 AM
Thanks for changing the thread title,Cosmoose;I don't think that it would've jinxed Petra at all,but it's time to put thus disappointing stretch behind us as our Lioness takes charge in IW/Miami:cool:

Excelscior
Feb 21st, 2012, 03:52 PM
True, but I don't think matchplay matters much in this case. The conditions will be much different in Dubai compared to the US. Perhaps some matchplay would have been good, but in this case I think it's a wise decision. :shrug:

If she's playing well, she's playing well - matchplay or not. She said she wasn't feeling the ball well, or something along those lines, even practice alone can help with that. She obviously hasn't forgotten how to play a tennis match :lol: so the main concern isn't matchplay but in Petra's case it's more about the conditions, how she feels about her game. See what I mean?

Maybe I'm wrong and the lack of matchplay will have an effect, but her team are clearly trying a different approach. Now all that remains to be seen is how that will pan out.

The conditions in Doha should be similar to Indian Wells (minus the sun, since they will play in the day time), cause they're both in the desert.

Dubai is normally similar, but it was very windy and chilly there. None of this really matters though, cause Petra didn't play in either one.

But the conditions in Indian Wells, should suit her well. Hopefully, her game will be up to the task.

It's clear her team (right or wrong) would rather focus on Indian Wells, Miami, and the upcoming clay court season. A shame, considering Dubai looks like such easy pickings. But oh well. :lol: :eek: :lol:

Good Luck in the US Petra.

Excelscior
Feb 21st, 2012, 04:00 PM

Here's the article that Laurie wrote, I was telling you about. Take note:

Originally Posted by laurie

Well an interesting post. As I have watched tennis now more or less since the early 1990s, I can say that this has happened before, and hopefully it will happen again.

That is, the solid player usually will get to number 1 first, stay there for a while, then the more talented (even much more talented player) of the same age, will get to number 1 and stay there for much longer. Jim Courier got to number 1 for a year in 1992 after winning a couple of slams including the Aussie twice and French twice, but once Sampras got his act together, that was the end of Courier as number 1. In fact, Courier really fell down the rankings, every time he met Sampras in a quarter, semi or final of a slam, he lost despite putting up great fights, Sampras had more variety and in the end it got to Courier.

Ten years later, the same happened again, this time it was Hewitt who was number 1 in 2002, Federer got his act together in 2003 and that was the end of Hewitt, every time they met in slams Federer won and Hewitt went downhill. In fact, before Federer got his game together, Hewitt kept beating Federer in big matches.

Now, I wonder if Kvitova will do the same to Azarenka and Wozniacki eventually? Usually, it takes longer for the more talented player with major weapons to get to number 1. However, once they get it together and get to number 1, they stay there much longer than the solid player. Having read about the Evert / Navratilova rivalry, it took Martina much longer to get to number 1, but then had Evert's number in many of the big matches once she got her mind and fitness going. We will see what happens over the next 18 months, should be interesting.

She said it all right there. Not much else to say.

We'll see in the next 6 months to 1-3 yrs how this settles/shakes out?

bruce goose
Feb 22nd, 2012, 05:47 AM
Petra's been absent for long enough that it's led me to speculation like imagining her winning BOTH tourneys...partly just to see the reaction of shocked non-fans when they witness her dominance:p

Corswandt
Feb 22nd, 2012, 12:23 PM

IW and Miami are minefields due to the way the draw is structured - all the top 32 seeds, often rusty and lacking in match play, are given a 1R BYE, and on their very first match they'll be up against opponents who already have one match win (more if they fought their way in from qualies) under their belts, who are confident, in fairly good form and better used to the extreme conditions. Hence all the BOMBSHELL!111!! results we tend to get there, year after year.

SO this is a big risk, but I don't expect Petrikova to do a thing either at IW (gale force winds) or Miami (rainforest levels of humidity), and I'm not worried about it at all. Leave them for the vultures.

Mynarco
Feb 22nd, 2012, 05:31 PM
Am I missing something or -

Does her Doha's withdrawal mean that she has ANOTHER zero-pointer counted towards her ranking :o?

Excelscior
Feb 22nd, 2012, 05:40 PM
Am I missing something or -

Does her Doha's withdrawal mean that she has ANOTHER zero-pointer counted towards her ranking :o?

You mean Dubai?? :confused: :confused:

Mynarco
Feb 22nd, 2012, 05:46 PM
yeah. Dubai.

Meelis
Feb 22nd, 2012, 05:47 PM
Yes, both Doha and Dubai are zero pointers for her. Azarenka, Li and Petkovic are also getting a zero from Dubai. WTA´s carrot and stick policy :rolleyes:

Mynarco
Feb 22nd, 2012, 05:49 PM
This zero pointer idea is just retarded :sobbing:

Sharapovian
Feb 22nd, 2012, 06:36 PM
IW and Miami are minefields due to the way the draw is structured - all the top 32 seeds, often rusty and lacking in match play, are given a 1R BYE, and on their very first match they'll be up against opponents who already have one match win (more if they fought their way in from qualies) under their belts, who are confident, in fairly good form and better used to the extreme conditions. Hence all the BOMBSHELL!111!! results we tend to get there, year after year.

SO this is a big risk, but I don't expect Petrikova to do a thing either at IW (gale force winds) or Miami (rainforest levels of humidity), and I'm not worried about it at all. Leave them for the vultures.

I was just about to reply to Excelscior's post saying something similar, but you basically said what I didn't manage to earlier (the part in bold).

I'll elaborate more on what I was trying to hint at (was trying not to come across as negative). Basically, what I should have said is that: is there really much point in playing Dubai event before these two big events? She hasn't had the best of results in both IW and Miami - will playing Dubai really make much of a difference? In my opinion, not really. She would just be wasting energy by playing there, yes she could well have gained some points, but playing there was probably not the best option (as far as her team were concerned).

I know I kept going on about how different the conditions will be in Dubai and say for example IW, but mainly my point was that it's probably better to spend time practicing and get her rhythm back first of all (and she can get more used to the conditions at the same time). Remember someone said she was concerned that she's not feeling the ball that well, and feels like she is forced to rally a whole lot more? (and so expending more energy than is required). When she gets the rhythm back, she'll not feel like she is wasting as much time/energy on court.

Don't know about others, but personally, I would be pleased if she even manages to make one QF at either IW/Miami. Could do better/could do worse depending on the draw.

I'm not saying this isn't a risk, of course it is but when you think about what the reasoning behind this scheduling is, this decision doesn't seem like such a bad idea after all. It might take a couple of events till she starts feeling comfortable with her game again, and by the time the clay season comes round she should hopefully be back on track.

P.S. Another thing I'd like to clear up is, I wasn't saying playing either Doha/Dubai is useless. All I was meaning is it's usually better to play both or neither of them. Also, even if the conditions do seem similar in Dubai to IW - even small things can make a difference such as humidity. I expect it to be much more humid in Dubai than in IW.

Does my point make anymore sense now?

Mynarco
Feb 22nd, 2012, 06:39 PM
But at the end of the day, if she wants to be a no. 1 player winning slams, she cannot botch her IW-Miami run again. (The double zero-pointers are a bit unfortunate) I am not saying she needs to win them both, but at least QF for both is a must for a player of her calibre.

I hope she recovers well because her performance this year hasn't impressed me much

Sharapovian
Feb 22nd, 2012, 06:54 PM
But at the end of the day, if she wants to be a no. 1 player winning slams, she cannot botch her IW-Miami run again. (The double zero-pointers are a bit unfortunate) I am not saying she needs to win them both, but at least QF for both is a must for a player of her calibre.

I hope she recovers well because her performance this year hasn't impressed me much

You're right, but the feeling I get is that the number 1 ranking is not Petra's (or her team's) main concern. I'm sure she would love to get to the top spot, but that's not their main target.

She can gain a fair amount of points from IW-Miami if she does well, but getting to number one will be a tough task considering the current lead that Vika has. (And I am keeping in mind the points Vika has to defend).

Mynarco
Feb 22nd, 2012, 07:03 PM
True. The good thing is she only needs to defend R32 points for both IW and Miami. And not many to defend till Madrid. She should go up at this point.

But yeah you are right, I reckon the most imperative thing Kotyza and Kvitova are working on is how to make her play better on HC(so as not to make another AO SF nightmare happen).

bruce goose
Feb 23rd, 2012, 02:04 AM
Yes, both Doha and Dubai are zero pointers for her. Azarenka, Li and Petkovic are also getting a zero from Dubai. WTA´s carrot and stick policy :rolleyes:Saw the thread earlier,so a belated Happy Birthday to you,Meelis....

Tbh,though I never enjoy seeing Petra's ranking hurt by it,I'm not too hostile towards the WTA's(or ATP's...even though I rarely watch it:p) appearance incentive policy.I realize that the tour can be a grind sometimes but,as an NFL fan,it makes me lose respect for players who quit/withdraw at the very slightest injury...though I cut the women a lot more slack than the men.Whether it's Petra or any top player,there have to be at least SOME safeguards in place to keep the athletes from selling out the fans who make tennis viable as a spectator sport

Martina CZ
Feb 23rd, 2012, 02:18 PM
... but the feeling I get is that the number 1 ranking is not Petra's (or her team's) main concern. I'm sure she would love to get to the top spot, but that's not their main target.

She can gain a fair amount of points from IW-Miami if she does well, but getting to number one will be a tough task considering the current lead that Vika has. (And I am keeping in mind the points Vika has to defend).

This year is Olympics, something called "No.1" can wait till next time/year - no big deal.
The performance on Olympics is, what really matters this year (OK, maybe GS too).
And let´s not forget, it is impossible to peak all year long, so there will be always time to uderperform (even we may not like it) in order to peak when needed/planed. :)
And if all will go right, Petr will improve even further, so the lower performance will tak less and less time.

I am sure her team is aware of that and they have still time - maybe next 10 years to conquer the first rank. :)

But what I am not sure about is, that Wimbledon and Olympics are so close - I am not sure it is possible to perform on top level on both tournaments, it will wear the body out completely. Let´s see ;)

naranka
Mar 2nd, 2012, 07:47 AM
So Petra is probably just about now starting to feel 100% again after her infection/fever/flu -- not to mention the nagging Achilles and knee injuries. She's had no match play in weeks. Probably very little training and practice. On top of it she's probably physically weakened from the flu. So she flies into California in about 36 hours. She'll have, at best, 5 days before she's tested for the first time.

What do you think, realistically, she can accomplish at IW and then at Miami? What do you suppose her and her team's goals are for these two tournaments?

bruce goose
Mar 2nd, 2012, 01:21 PM
February sucked as a Petra fan,but there's an old expression,I think,that March roars in like a Lion-ess,so let's see how strongly Petra can bounce back given the long break

dsanders06
Mar 2nd, 2012, 09:58 PM
So Petra is probably just about now starting to feel 100% again after her infection/fever/flu -- not to mention the nagging Achilles and knee injuries. She's had no match play in weeks. Probably very little training and practice. On top of it she's probably physically weakened from the flu. So she flies into California in about 36 hours. She'll have, at best, 5 days before she's tested for the first time.

What do you think, realistically, she can accomplish at IW and then at Miami? What do you suppose her and her team's goals are for these two tournaments?

My bet is she crashes out in the 2nd or 3rd round in Indian Wells (cue GM posters cranking up their catchphrase that Petra "can't play on outdoor hardcourts" to new heights), before she wins the Miami title or atleast makes the final (cue Dsanders06 and assorted others acting smug towards said GM posters who'd been spreading the outdoor hardcourt myth).

I do think she's going to be hungry to make an impact over the next few weeks because I can bet, for all her laidback exterior, a part of her is irritated that Azarenka is now being treated as Generation Suck's leader by the tennis media, and she's determined to put a stop to it asap... and there's no doubt in my mind she has the ability to beat anyone on outdoor HCs. That being said, I think IW is too soon for her to be back at the top of her game after her illness (didn't she only start training again a couple of days ago?), and she typically needs a few matches after a hiatus to get back into the swing of things. And in any case, even if this illness/lay-off hadn't happened, Miami probably suits her better being a fair bit quicker than IW, and I'm not sure at this early stage in her career she has the stamina (certainly physically, possibly mentally too?) to go deep in two two-week tournaments back-to-back, so I certainly don't see her being successful in any more than one of them.

mac47
Mar 2nd, 2012, 10:33 PM
I don't care too much about any tournament wins other than the slams.

I want to see Petra lay beatdowns on Pova and Vika, just to remind everyone that whatever the rankings may say right now, she is better than they are.

Barktra
Mar 2nd, 2012, 10:34 PM
I want our lioness :sobbing:

I don't care too much about any tournament wins other than the slams.

I want to see Petra lay beatdowns on Pova and Vika, just to remind everyone that whatever the rankings may say right now, she is better than they are.

Hopefully she can give them beatdowns at the FO including Li

Simugna Help
Mar 2nd, 2012, 10:56 PM

Me too, but she needs to get to SF or F to have a chance to meet them. Which mean she needs to be at least runner ups in order to have defeated them.;)

Petronius
Mar 2nd, 2012, 11:59 PM
My bet is she crashes out in the 2nd or 3rd round in Indian Wells (cue GM posters cranking up their catchphrase that Petra "can't play on outdoor hardcourts" to new heights), before she wins the Miami title or atleast makes the final (cue Dsanders06 and assorted others acting smug towards said GM posters who'd been spreading the outdoor hardcourt myth).

I do think she's going to be hungry to make an impact over the next few weeks because I can bet, for all her laidback exterior, a part of her is irritated that Azarenka is now being treated as Generation Suck's leader by the tennis media, and she's determined to put a stop to it asap... and there's no doubt in my mind she has the ability to beat anyone on outdoor HCs. That being said, I think IW is too soon for her to be back at the top of her game after her illness (didn't she only start training again a couple of days ago?), and she typically needs a few matches after a hiatus to get back into the swing of things. And in any case, even if this illness/lay-off hadn't happened, Miami probably suits her better being a fair bit quicker than IW, and I'm not sure at this early stage in her career she has the stamina (certainly physically, possibly mentally too?) to go deep in two two-week tournaments back-to-back, so I certainly don't see her being successful in any more than one of them.

Voice of reason. Indian Wells comes too soon after her sickness/health issues, while Miami is said to be pretty humid, offering far from the optimal conditions for an asthmatic. Still, she's a better player than she was at the same time of the year 2011 so she should perform well in at least one of these events.

Excelscior
Mar 3rd, 2012, 02:27 AM
I think Last year, Petra would of crashed out at Indian Wells, after coming off of a one month layoff like this.

The Petra of earlier this year, would win a few matches, then lose to a quality opponent off of UE's at this stage.

But I think a returning true champion-ship minded, Conquering Lioness Petra should have an attitude like Serena, Sharapova and Clijsters. She's gotta tough it out early, no matter how ugly her game is, and will her way to a win.

She doesn't have to play perfect tennis early. She can work her way into shape and form as they do, by sheer intimation, luck, gamesmanship and good fortune.

She did this at Linz. The difference between her first match and third match, were night and day (mind you, she had went to the semi-final of Tokyo two weeks earlier, though she crashed out of China in the first rd, a week later).

If Petra goes/get's deep into Indian Wells and loses from Fatigue; so be it. But I at least hope she goes deep and doesn't crash out. She has to show the will to win, suceed and go deep, and not assume or play for next week and the future, cause she's coming off a layoff, and has an excuse. No!

As far as Miami. I don't see why she couldn't do well in either tournament, under normal circumstances. She's about due!! This asthma stuff is overblown. She made the 4th round of The US Open 3 years ago, agaisnt the #1 player, when she was considerably less skilled, heavier, slower and less confident. The following year, she lost to the eventual Champion, Clijsters in the third rd. No shame there. And we know what happened last year, after Wimbledon. Now we're here in March, 2012, under curious circumstances.

But we shouldn't be. Once again, I'm sorry guys. But what in the hell was Petra doing, trying to go all out against Lucie H, when she wasn't fully fit, and had 8 more days of training she lost out on?

Let Lucie have the win, and her day in the sun! Shoot! That will be the highlight and most exciting thing of her year (beating Petra). But Petra had bigger fish to fry. And it absolutely annoys me (if what you guys said was true about Petra's injury, lack of feel and training, coming out of the match), that Petra and her team couldn't see the bigger picture.

With all due respect to my Czech friends across the pond, it was a silly Czech Leauge prep match for the upcoming WTA season; not THE SEASON itself. Staying home in bad weather, and getting sick, just added to it. SMH. OK. Exhale. Lol. Now back to the present.

As far as Indian Wells; we'll see?

I'm not writing Petra off in the least bit. We have to see her play first, and see how she feels, responds and grows, in between games. But stranger things have happenned. Come on! This is Petra and the sport of tennis guys. Lol.

Keep your chin up, and your expectations level/wait and see.

bruce goose
Mar 3rd, 2012, 02:47 AM
At this point,Petra has met reasonable expectations with two Slam titles(W and YEC,2011)at the age of 21,so I'll cut her quite a bit of slack if Petra even takes a couple months to return to Lioness form

Excelscior
Mar 5th, 2012, 06:58 PM
"I have not a hundred percent, as they say, I will not fire in full, but that I must fight," said Wimbledon champion on her Facebook profile .

Petra Kvitova, regarding the upcoming Indian Wells Tennis Tournament in America, after 1 month off and her recent illness (Google translation).

That's the spirit, attitude Petra!!

I hope so? :confused: :eek: ::confused:

Meelis
Mar 6th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Indian Wells

Kvitova v Bye
Morita v Zahlavova Strycova
Qualifier v Vesnina
Bye v McHale
Kerber v Bye
Stephens v Qualifier
King v Errani
Bye v Pavlyuchenkova

Zvonareva v Bye
Date-Krumm v Parmentier
Pous-Tio v Zakopalova
Bye v Hantuchova
Zheng v Bye
U.Radwanska v Qualifier
Erakovic v Voskoboeva
Bye v Li

Meelis
Mar 6th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Possible R2 against Bara again.

Mynarco
Mar 6th, 2012, 12:24 AM
BZS/Morita 2r :lol:

Vikapower
Mar 6th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Decent draw :eek: Petra can take revenge for her loss to Barbora at the same stage I think -- last year. :spit: Should Kerber make the 4th round which is highly possible considering her actual form on that kind of surface could be a plague. Petra really has a cool draw to make at least the QF hopefully she does it.

Queen Petra Fan
Mar 6th, 2012, 06:49 AM
At this point,Petra has met reasonable expectations with two Slam titles(W and YEC,2011)at the age of 21,so I'll cut her quite a bit of slack if Petra even takes a couple months to return to Lioness form

I see it your way too BG. I'm not expecting any miracle comeback based on what we saw at the AO (although I'll be pleasantly surprised if it happens). From the beginning of the year you could see her game was off by quite a bit and I just don't think it will bounce back miraculously in the next two tournaments. As she gets healthier and fitter I think she'll be looking much better in a month or so. All of this now is just tuning and training for the big stuff coming down the road. It's pretty clear Petra and her team are much more focused on the big prizes this year. It would also appear Petra's not too obsessed with the being No.1 issue, which she had been trying to tell anybody who would listen all along. She knows it will come with winning. There's nothing else she can do about it.

:worship: Queen Petra will roar and devour all at the FO, Olympics and Wimbledon! :worship:

pov
Mar 6th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I It would also appear Petra's not too obsessed with the being No.1 issue, which she had been trying to tell anybody who would listen all along.
:yeah:

Meelis
Mar 6th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Petra plays doubles with Azarenka :eek:

Excelscior
Mar 6th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Petra plays doubles with Azarenka :eek:

Yuk.

I don't like that idea.

All Vika's going to do is steal Petra's moves and game (and be inspired), to her advantage. :lol: :lol:

But more importantly, unless Vika asked (cause we now Petra's a pleasant and cordial type), I'm not sure if that's what's needed.

Considering she's hasn't played in a month, Petra should be concentrating on getting better/fit, then beating the crap out of Vika. But I guess the recon aspect works both ways. Maybe Petra is trying to pick up on her moves to? :lol: :) :lol:

I still don't like it (Petra is still ultimately the one to beat)!!! :lol: :devil: :lol:

Maybe yes, if Petra was playing and clicking on all cylinders (and went on with her bad self)? But I don't know what to make of this (myself), outside the obvious.

theFutureisNow
Mar 6th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Indian Wells

Kvitova v Bye
Morita v Zahlavova Strycova
Qualifier v Vesnina
Bye v McHale
Kerber v Bye
Stephens v Qualifier
King v Errani
Bye v Pavlyuchenkova

Zvonareva v Bye
Date-Krumm v Parmentier
Pous-Tio v Zakopalova
Bye v Hantuchova
Zheng v Bye
U.Radwanska v Qualifier
Erakovic v Voskoboeva
Bye v Li

Other than Kerber that's about as easy a draw as you can get.

Let's hope Petra can play her way into shape.

cosmoose
Mar 6th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Yuk.

I don't like that idea.

All Vika's going to do is steal Petra's moves and game (and be inspired), to her advantage. :lol: :lol:

But more importantly, unless Vika asked (cause we now Petra's a pleasant and cordial type), I'm not sure if that's what's needed.

Considering she's hasn't played in a month, Petra should be concentrating on getting better/fit, then beating the crap out of Vika. But I guess the recon aspect works both ways. Maybe Petra is trying to pick up on her moves to :lol: :) :lol:

I still don't like it (Petra is still ultimately be the one to beat)!!! :lol: :devil: :lol:

Maybe yes, if Petra was playing and clicking on all cylinders (and went on with her bad self)? But I don't know what to make of this (myself), outside the obvious).

as much as we want her to dominate and put the fear of God into WTA pretenders, Petra is just too nice with everyone! :D

plokploky
Mar 6th, 2012, 10:17 PM
IMHO, this is good for petra. If she does bomb out early in this event (which I hope she doesn't) she has given herself a guarantee that she will play at least 2 matches (1 dubs, 1sin.) so I think its a blessing in disguise.

Also I love doubles:oh:

Excelscior
Mar 6th, 2012, 10:32 PM
plokploky;21061381]IMHO, this is good for petra. If she does bomb out early in this event (which I hope she doesn't) she has given herself a guarantee that she will play at least 2 matches (1 dubs, 1sin.) so I think its a blessing in disguise.Also I love doubles:oh:

That's part of the obvious.

But why with Vika?

They're also in the same half of the draw.

I know Petra is a no fuss Lady/Non Prima Donna type. But she should of teamed with someone else, till she got her game back together.

I like the doubles aspect to. I get it. But with Vika? We'll see?

plokploky
Mar 6th, 2012, 10:35 PM
]

But why with Vika?

cause vika has a good balance of net skills and consistent deep groundstrokes, as much as I don't like to admit it. plus, vika won't want to lose. She won't tank doubles IMO.

mac47
Mar 6th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Petra likes to win. She and Vika will dominate the doubles. More match play for her having been off for so long. Great way to work on touch shots, volleys, and get the serve cranking.

I like this move. Less practice, more doubles,

Simugna Help
Mar 6th, 2012, 11:18 PM
plokploky;21061381]
But why with Vika?

She wants to get used to competing in the noise before their SF encounter. :oh:

Interesting team-up, we rarely see top 5 players play doubles together if at all anymore.

Sharapovian
Mar 6th, 2012, 11:48 PM
The draw doesn't seem too bad. Kerber and a few others might be tricky, but will try not to jump too far ahead.

Personally, I think getting to the semis at least is do-able, especially if she can work her way into form. She will be rusty, so all depends on whether she can get through a couple of matches and then get some rhythm going.

Doubles once in a while is good too, no harm in extra match play sometimes. Not bad thinking in this case ;)

And of course, the conditions. I don't think I'll say much this time :lol: but IW does tend to be less humid compared to Miami, though the former tends to get stronger winds. Don't know how much an impact they will have.

But why with Vika?

Vika is actually quite a good doubles player and maybe they decided they would play doubles before hand? :shrug:

cause vika has a good balance of net skills and consistent deep groundstrokes, as much as I don't like to admit it. plus, vika won't want to lose. She won't tank doubles IMO.
Vika has pulled out of doubles matches a fair number of times, but part of that was due to how injury prone she was. Hopefully that won't be a problem this time round.

Meelis
Mar 6th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Nike and Wilson must be happy ;)

Both were filming Wilson ads today.

Also, if you bother playing doubles, then you might as well play with someone good.

Mynarco
Mar 7th, 2012, 12:07 AM
I am a bit worried about the 2r actually :eek: :sobbing:
she lost to both last year :sobbing:

Vikapower
Mar 7th, 2012, 03:36 AM

Yes and out of the players too in singles Vika certainly does have the best experience, I think she does have 2 or 3 GS F in that department...

So I guess if Petra wants good practice etc... she needs a player who can assuredly go deep with her in doubles. Kirilenko etc. are good but they're not the most reliable in the plan probably they have to rebuild momentum, rhythm etc.

It'll be interesting to see if she maintains that cap in the 5th. slam.

Interesting team-up, we rarely see top 5 players play doubles together if at all anymore.

Well I guess it's impossible to maintain -- I think it's last year to me Fred, Djocq, Muzray and Nad-all teamed up together in Miami. That was pretty cool.

everythingtaboo
Mar 7th, 2012, 04:02 AM
plokploky;21061381]

But why with Vika?

I know Petra is a no fuss Lady/Non Prima Donna type. But she should of teamed with someone else, till she got her game back together.

I like the doubles aspect to. I get it. But with Vika? We'll see?

I would've liked to have seen her pair up with Kveta Peschke since Katarina Srebotnik is out injured. That could've been pretty interesting.

Utterchaos
Mar 7th, 2012, 01:07 PM
I think Petra will do just fine in IW. Her gamestyle lends itself to quick matches and minimal time spent on court. Even alittle rusty she shoul reach at least SF. I wouldnt worry about Vika at this point. Her game is akward and physical. She is very injury prone. Already she withdrew twice this year with injuries. Petra' virus seems like an unfortunate fluke.

Petronius
Mar 7th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Even alittle rusty she shoul reach at least SF.

Let's not get carried away too much:

2009> third round
2010> second round
2011> second round

So even a QF would be a huge improvement over the past seasons, plus she's coming off injury and illness.

winnermax
Mar 8th, 2012, 04:53 AM
Petra,všechno nejlepší k narozeninám :lol:

Lufa
Mar 8th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Petra,všechno nejlepší k narozeninám :lol:

:cheer: všetko najlepšie Petra, happy birthday :smooch:

flyingmachine
Mar 8th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Happy Birthday Petra :bounce::bounce::bounce:
And have a great IW. :devil:

Petronius
Mar 8th, 2012, 11:49 AM
http://rlv.zcache.co.uk/happy_22nd_birthday_with_balloons_card-p137177008016202953z85cd_400.jpg

Coconut91
Mar 8th, 2012, 12:27 PM
"všetko najlepšie", Petra :lol:

:bdaycake: :aparty:

So goood to have her back on court. :D

Excelscior
Mar 8th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Indeed (on her happy birthday wish, and welcome back)!!!

Utterchaos
Mar 8th, 2012, 02:04 PM
I hope Petra doesn't party too hard and lose early in IW :scared:

Mynarco
Mar 8th, 2012, 02:06 PM
happy bday petra :D

everythingtaboo
Mar 8th, 2012, 02:07 PM
I hope Petra doesn't party too hard and lose early in IW :scared:

This is a girl who didn't even have a party after winning Wimbledon. I don't think we have too much to worry about. :lol:

That being said-- Happy birthday, Petra!

ElusiveChanteuse
Mar 8th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Happy Bday Petra!:cheer:
and all the best for the whole year.:cheer:

Holdsworth
Mar 8th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Happy BirthDay, queen Petra !!:cheer: :worship:

http://i63.servimg.com/u/f63/14/43/39/89/happy-10.gif

Simugna Help
Mar 8th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Happy bday :hatoff:

Petronius
Mar 8th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Thursday, 8 March 2012

Stadium 1 Start 11:00 am - Pacific Standard Time (i.e. 2 pm New York, 7 pm UK, 8 pm CZ)

Irina Falconi (USA)

v
Alexandra Dulgheru (ROU)

WTA

Paolo Lorenzi (ITA)

v
Robby Ginepri (USA)

ATP

Victoria Azarenka (BLR)

Petra Kvitova (CZE)
v
Natalie Grandin (RSA)

Vladimira Uhlirova (CZE)

WTA

Sharapovian
Mar 8th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Happy Birthday to Petra :D

and good luck to her in Indian Wells.

Vikapower
Mar 8th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Joyeux anniversaire votre altesse royale et reine mčre Kvitova :bdaycake: and please do well in IW. :D

Tennisvampire
Mar 8th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Happy B-day Petra :D :aparty: P.S. Good luck in dubs with Vika. I have to add, I'm loving the combination :hearts:

paulmara
Mar 8th, 2012, 08:46 PM
http://img.webme.com/pic/b/berliner-zuckerschnuten/peeeeetraaaaa.gif

PetraReeMona
Mar 8th, 2012, 10:18 PM
^ :eek: I can't top that, but

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PETRA

Petronius
Mar 8th, 2012, 10:48 PM
For diehard fans in better time zones: radiotennis.com has live coverage of the doubles match

RetroDonkey
Mar 8th, 2012, 11:40 PM
For diehard fans in better time zones: radiotennis.com has live coverage of the doubles match

Thanks! It's just started now...

I would absolutely LOVE to see the two of them playing right now together. The two best players in the women's game. Azarenka's achieved a bit more in doubles, but Kvitova isn't shabby at the net and can definitely hold her own. I know that the top singles players don't always equate to doubles success, but have to think that this pairing is just too damn good.

Early break, but Petra DF to start 2nd game and wild forehand down 0-30... get the rust out n back to GOAT ways :)

Sharapovian
Mar 8th, 2012, 11:40 PM

Also, Ben Rothenberg is at the match if you want to follow his tweets ;)

https://twitter.com/#!/BenRothenberg

Petra Kvitova breaks Grandin's serve on her first foray to net with backhand volley winner. Raymond/Huber are scouting from above.

PetraReeMona
Mar 8th, 2012, 11:49 PM
I so wanna see this :sobbing:

The commentator on Radio Tennis says it's fantastic and that he's never seen Petra play before, but says "she is the BOSS" :worship::worship:

Damn you IW for not showing this on TV :mad::mad::mad:

RetroDonkey
Mar 8th, 2012, 11:54 PM
The guy on the radio is absolutely horrible at pronouncing names though... Did you hear him pronounce Jankovic's name? hahahahahaha

mdx
Mar 8th, 2012, 11:56 PM
I don't know what I can possibly be doing wrong, but all I get from http://radiotennis.com/ is one minute clip concluding the broadcast. Anyway good to hear commentator likes it.

winnermax
Mar 8th, 2012, 11:57 PM
What a pity there is no livestream for her double match with Vika :o

PetraReeMona
Mar 8th, 2012, 11:57 PM
I know, that annoyed me so much yesterday.

He can't say Wimbledon - he says Wimbleton :mad:

I didn't hear what he called JJ. What did he say :confused:

PetraReeMona
Mar 8th, 2012, 11:59 PM
What a pity there is no livestream for her double match with Vika :o

Hopefully if they get far they might show it on TV eventually :rolleyes:

RetroDonkey
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:04 AM
I know, that annoyed me so much yesterday.

He can't say Wimbledon - he says Wimbleton :mad:

I didn't hear what he called JJ. What did he say :confused:

J (English hard J like John) ankovik (hard C like K sound)

If you've been around the game of tennis at all, you'd know how to pronounce Jankovic's name. Wonder if he calls Novak... Jokovik

Anyway, he's a dumbass, but it's still nice that theyve at least got radio feed of this. The US TV rights are freakin stupid. Every time the tour goes over to the US it gets damn near impossible to watch any matches. As if the times weren't already bad enough :P

PetraReeMona
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:05 AM
1st set to Les Team BNW (Blonde/Nike/Wilson) 6-2 :)

Sharapovian
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:05 AM
I don't know what I can possibly be doing wrong, but all I get from http://radiotennis.com/ is one minute clip concluding the broadcast. Anyway good to hear commentator likes it.

Same for me, but I can't get anything to play for some reason. The popup shows up, but then the broadcast won't play :confused:

But it's fine, I'm getting the updates from twitter anyway.

RetroDonkey
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:06 AM
Apparently he doesn't know his math, either hahahahahahaha

What an idiot!

PetraReeMona
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:08 AM
J (English hard J like John) ankovik (hard C like K sound)

If you've been around the game of tennis at all, you'd know how to pronounce Jankovic's name. Wonder if he calls Novak... Jokovik

Anyway, he's a dumbass, but it's still nice that theyve at least got radio feed of this. The US TV rights are freakin stupid. Every time the tour goes over to the US it gets damn near impossible to watch any matches. As if the times weren't already bad enough :P

Elena Vesninia :rolleyes:

PetraReeMona
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:09 AM
Same for me, but I can't get anything to play for some reason. The popup shows up, but then the broadcast won't play :confused:

You have to download it.

RetroDonkey
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:10 AM

Ya hahahahaha... like as if she was spanish!!! hahahahahahahaha this is comical!

Mynarco
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:11 AM
doing well. one set and a break up :D

mdx

I found out that different players play the file differently. VLC (videolan.org) plays live stream but Media Player Home Cinema plays the broadcast conclusion message.

Just download and install VLC, open the downloaded asx file in it and it works.

Simugna Help

Shouldn't it be Viesnina anyway? (and Zvonariova etc.)

It seems Petra and Vika are going to cruise through the first match.

RetroDonkey
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:12 AM
hahaha... I actually just hope he keeps naming other players, Raonic hahahaha... sorry, it's just too funny. The crazy thing is that he knows a few of them, too, so I can guarantee that he goes around calling them these names all the time!

PetraReeMona
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Ya hahahahaha... like as if she was spanish!!! hahahahahahahaha this is comical!

I know :spit:

Leanda Puz :eek: should be Leander Paes

Dopolov should be Dolgopolov :lol:

mdx
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:14 AM
Worst radio commentary ever. It's so bad its even funny :-)

RetroDonkey
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Shouldn't it be Viesnina anyway? (and Zvonariova etc.)

It seems Petra and Vika are going to cruise through the first match.

Ya, essentially yes... the soft letter sounds usually get lost in translation, but the guys on Eurosport at least give a bit of a go. This guy is hardly even trying...

Having said that, Eva Asderaki pronounced Safarova's name correctly once, and hmmmm I forgot who it was in the booth, but the woman was making fun of her for saying it the right way hehe. The R is with a hook above it. You can usually let these kinds of things go, like the soft L in Polish or the letters that nobody gets. But he's just waaaaaaay off on so many of these :P

mdx
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Is it possible I'm hearing only one of the commentators and there are two? That would explain the horrible commentary. He seems like he is sometimes talking with someone. How many voices do you guys get?

Petronius
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:22 AM
I'm listening without any problems through Windows Media Player.
I basically hear two soundtracks - the commentator and Vika's grunting :lol:
But the score looks good. Unless they choke, it's gonna be an easy straight-set win.

RetroDonkey
Just get the one guy... likely the same as you. Is this guy hired from radiotennis.com or is he like broadcasting for a major corporation in the US? Please say he's just an amature.

PetraReeMona
Is it possible I'm hearing only one of the commentators and there are two? That would explain the horrible commentary. He seems like he is sometimes talking with someone. How many voices do you guys get?

It's only one commentator. Definitely NOT two. I've been listening to him @ IW for a couple of years and it's always only him.

He's really such an idiot and completely useless at doing this, but "beggars can't be choosers" as the saying goes :(

mdx
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:29 AM
So it's just one. Pity :-(

Petronius
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:30 AM
6-2,5-2 serving for the match !!

Sharapovian
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:32 AM
You have to download it.

I found out that different players play the file differently. VLC (videolan.org) plays live stream but Media Player Home Cinema plays the broadcast conclusion message.

Just download and install VLC, open the downloaded asx file in it and it works.

I have VLC and that's what the popup was opening up with. Can't get it to play though...you just click on the 'Click here to listen free' image, right?

Maybe it's just something to do with the sound, I'll check again.

Meelis
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:33 AM
Just get the one guy... likely the same as you. Is this guy hired from radiotennis.com or is he like broadcasting for a major corporation in the US? Please say he's just an amature.

He does all radiotennis commentaries.

karub
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:33 AM
Happy Birthday Petra :aparty:

Petronius
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:38 AM
6-2, 6-2 :yippee:

PetraReeMona
I have VLC and that's what the popup was opening up with. Can't get it to play though...you just click on the 'Click here to listen free' image, right?

Maybe it's just something to do with the sound, I'll check again.

Yes

Any luck?

Do you have Firefox or IE?

RetroDonkey
Tim Smyczeck against Sam Querrery... haha that's going to be a horrible match! They both suck... American announcers are so disillusioned about the state of US tennis at the moment. The only thing ANY of them can do at the moment is serve big... Which is basically what most of them ever really did, except the odd ones like Sampras and Chang

Anyway, straight sets for the girls, didn't sound overly challenging really either, as half of the points they lost were DF's or whatever.

Martina CZ
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:39 AM
Just under 1 hour :bigclap:

There you go, stats:

PetraReeMona
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:40 AM
Ben Rothenberg

"Victoria Azarenka tells the crowd to sing happy birthday to Petra Kvitova. Crowd obliges. Azarenka not the best singer"

I hope this doesn't put Petra off of beating her ass when they come to play each other next time. Vika trying to be her friend now that Aga has dissed her :lol:

Excelscior
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:41 AM
Petra's last up on Centre Court tommorow, at about 8-9pm.

Novak (doubles)and Vika play earlier as well on Centre Court.

Petra follows Nadal (he's playing doubles), in the second evening match.

This should give her some more practice/rest, and she should have less sun and wind to deal with (we/she hopes). :oh: :oh:

Sharapovian
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:45 AM
Yes

Any luck?

Tried in both Firefox and Chrome but no luck.

I'll try IE next time, but if it still doesn't work then no biggie. There should be streams in a few days anyway and hopefully they will put their next doubles match on a televised court.

Meelis
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Petra will have a doubles ranking again ;)

Excelscior
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:48 AM
Just perused you guys conversation; so which should it be tommorow, Radiotennis.com, and what was the other site you were using (and the best media player)?

Thanks

Excelscior
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Oh, and forgot to mention Petra's playing Barbora ZAHLAVOVA STRYCOVA (CZE). So you know BZS will be trying her hardest to beat Petra, as all the Czech players she's recently passed in stature, do.

Good Luck Petra.

PetraReeMona
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Just perused you guys conversation; so which should it be tommorow, Radiotennis.com, and what was the other site you were using (and the best media player)?

Thanks

VLC is the best media player IMO

Excelscior
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:56 AM
VLC is the best media player IMO

For Radio Tennis.com, and does that mean I would have to choose VLC as my default? How would I find that link/stream off of VLC, Windows Media, etc..?

And is Radiotennis.com the site you guys were all trying to get to play, or there were others?

Thanks

Sharapovian
Mar 9th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Yes

Any luck?

I got it to work in IE just now :)

For Radio Tennis.com, and does that mean I would have to choose VLC as my default? How would I find that link/stream off of VLC, Windows Media, etc..?

And is Radiotennis.com the site you guys were all trying to get to play, or there were others?

Thanks
You can try opening the stream and see if it works, if not then maybe try setting your default player as VLC.

And I don't think there is any other sites apart from radiotennis with coverage like that (for now anyway).

Excelscior
Mar 9th, 2012, 01:07 AM
OK. Thanks Yazoo.

Didn't even know about the site. And If I did know, I don't remember or were paying attention, nor cared (cause you can usually find a Petra stream lately, and she was never playing with Azarenka, so you watched on Livescore). Lol

Excelscior
Mar 9th, 2012, 01:44 AM
OK.

I'm on Radiotennis.com right now, listening to the Querry doubles match. Yeah. The guy talking does sound funny, and maybe take himself a little seriously at times.

Now I'm getting blues music, instead of a commercial or corny promo during the break. Never had that happen before.

Windows Media player came up as my default with no problem (though I do have VLC and Media Home Theater, etc., if I needed to change).

I guess some of you may of had compatibilty issues due to your computers updates/drivers, your browsers or location in the world?

I was busy earlier anyway, and not usually that desperate for a doubles match, but thanks for hipping me to the site/location guys. Maybe I'll listen tommorow (lord help us :oh:)?

Do they cover/broadcast all events, all over the world, or is just some, or US events (I see they do in some matches)? And I'll be able to get the repeat of todays match tommorow. Kool.

Thanks Guys.

Excelscior
Mar 9th, 2012, 02:26 AM
Oh. They won't be broadcasting the night matches.

They only do the day matches on Radiotennis.com. and Petra's the last match tommorow. :( :eek: :(

HowardH
Mar 9th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Happy 22nd birthday Petra :bdaycake:.

Queen Petra Fan
Mar 9th, 2012, 08:06 AM
^ :eek: I can't top that, but

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PETRA

:lol: Hah hah hah! When I saw Paul's greeting I said exactly the same thing to myself! :lol:

Nice work PaulMaestro!

and

HAPPY BIRTHDAY QUEEN PETRA! :wavey:

paulmara
Mar 9th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Petra Kvitová

I thank all the fans and the team for birthday wishes, you are the best:)

paulmara
Mar 9th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Ben Rothenberg

Petra Kvitova is serving first for team Blonde/Nike/Wilson (BNW). Eva Asderaki is in the chair. Star power off the charts here.

Team BNW has Kvitova the lefty playing on the right, and Azarenka the righty playing on the left.

http://twitter.com/#!/BenRothenberg

Excelscior
Mar 9th, 2012, 01:58 PM
If anyone likes to listen to the replay of the radiocast, you can find it on this link of archive's on Radiotennis.com's site.

Scroll down to the bottom for March, 8th, 2nd day.

http://radiotennis.com/archives.html

And thanks for the Ben Rothenberg twitter feeds guys. That warmed me up for the radiocast.

Petronius
Mar 9th, 2012, 06:28 PM
OK, so at 7 pm local time there's a doubles match featuring Nadal and then Petra comes on court. So if the doubles take 1-2 hours, I presume that Petra should start at 8.30-9 pm local time, i.e. 11.30- midnight New York, 4.30-5 am UK and 5.30-6am CZ. Just my guess.

PetraReeMona
Mar 9th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Radio Tennis is not working for me..... there's no connection :mad:

This happened after the Petra/Victoria match and during the Sam Querry match - it just went off. I tried to connect and IE and Firefox said there was no connection :shrug:

Petronius
Mar 9th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Radio Tennis is not working for me..... there's no connection :mad:

This happened after the Petra/Victoria match and during the Sam Querry match - it just went off. I tried to connect and IE and Firefox said there was no connection :shrug:

The reason is simple, the matches start at 11 am local time so there's no coverage now. When I'm writing this post (7:54 PM Central European Time) it's just six minutes to go!

PetraReeMona
Mar 9th, 2012, 07:16 PM
The reason is simple, the matches start at 11 am local time so there's no coverage now. When I'm writing this post (7:54 PM Central European Time) it's just six minutes to go!

Duh.....

It's now 7.15pm in UK and it's still not working.

Is it working for you? Oops, I'm sure I've heard that said to me before ;):p

Petronius
Mar 9th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Duh.....

It's now 7.15pm in UK and it's still not working.

Is it working for you? Oops, I'm sure I've heard that said to me before ;):p

It's working for me without any problem. I just clicked on "Click here to listen free" in Internet Explorer and the audio automatically opened in Windows Media Player.

PetraReeMona
Mar 9th, 2012, 08:01 PM
It's working for me without any problem. I just clicked on "Click here to listen free" in Internet Explorer and the audio automatically opened in Windows Media Player.

Thanks for the info, but it must be something to do with my computer because I can't get on the website in either IE or FF.

Oh well, Petra's not playing, so no big deal.

Thanks again Petr. :)

Excelscior
Mar 9th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Radiotennis.com will not broadcast the night matches.

So Livescore, seems to be the only outlet tonight.

And yes Petronius, Petra should be on between 11-12pm, NY time tonight (or early 4-7am for you guys in Europe).

Sorry about your connection problems, but Radiotennis did go off the air, after the Sam Querry doubles match last night.

They are on now of course. Jankovic just lost to young American, Jamie Hampton.

Simugna Help
Mar 9th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the info, but it must be something to do with my computer because I can't get on the website in either IE or FF.

Oh well, Petra's not playing, so no big deal.

Thanks again Petr. :)

Try experimenting with different plugins. Presumably you're using WMP as the default plugin in both IE and FF, try something else.
Good luck Petra. :cheer: I'm going to bed, I'll find out the result after waking up.:zzz:

PetraReeMona
Mar 10th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Thanks guys for all your help re RadioTennis.

I had a virus, so I cleaned my machine and fixed it just in time to hear Novak losing the doubles :bounce::bounce:

Queen Petra Fan
Mar 10th, 2012, 05:27 AM
If anyone likes to listen to the replay of the radiocast, you can find it on this link of archive's on Radiotennis.com's site.

Scroll down to the bottom for March, 8th, 2nd day.

http://radiotennis.com/archives.html

And thanks for the Ben Rothenberg twitter feeds guys. That warmed me up for the radiocast.

Thanks for the tip Ex. RadioTennis.com is playing perfectly on my setup. :hatoff:

Sasja
Mar 10th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Petra def BZS 6-1 6-3 :yeah:

Nice start :)

Excelscior
Mar 10th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the tip Ex. RadioTennis.com is playing perfectly on my setup. :hatoff:

You are more than welcome QPF!!! :):angel: :)

winnermax
Mar 10th, 2012, 07:11 AM
An easy win for Petra :yeah:
It proves that my worry before the match is no need. :lol:

Petronius
Mar 10th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Great to see that Petra showed BZS who's the real boss of the Czech national team. A sweet revenge for the last year's loss too. :)

Queen Petra Fan
Mar 10th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Great to see that Petra showed BZS who's the real boss of the Czech national team. A sweet revenge for the last year's loss too. :)

Beating players she should beat and winning opening round matches. This is how it should be year in and year out for Petra at this point in her career.

It will be interesting to see how she does against the grinding baseliner McHale. Hopefully, she can stay patient during the rallies and go for her winners at the right times. If she gets impatient, the UEs might really start piling up. It should be a good training match for Petra. I predict a win because of her power and her ability to hit winners at all times. I just hope her conditioning is good enough, but it must be if she feels like she can play doubles too. :cool:

Crunchy Booboo
Mar 10th, 2012, 10:13 AM
:cheer:

Petronius
Mar 10th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Beating players she should beat and winning opening round matches. This is how it should be year in and year out for Petra at this point in her career.

It will be interesting to see how she does against the grinding baseliner McHale. Hopefully, she can stay patient during the rallies and go for her winners at the right times. If she gets impatient, the UEs might really start piling up. It should be a good training match for Petra. I predict a win because of her power and her ability to hit winners at all times. I just hope her conditioning is good enough, but it must be if she feels like she can play doubles too. :cool:

Let's hope that Larry Ellison will finally give instructions to turn on TV cameras so that we can actually see the match :rolleyes:

Mynarco
Mar 10th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Good win. GL against mchale

Petronius
Mar 10th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Can anybody please post the start time of Petra's next doubles and singles match, thanks.

paulmara
Mar 10th, 2012, 12:19 PM
She is not playing on Saturday.

Utterchaos
Mar 10th, 2012, 12:25 PM
It was a great win against a tricky opponent. Lets hope she beats McHale with similar scoreline. A pusher on these slow courts could be dangerous...

Mynarco
Mar 10th, 2012, 01:05 PM
McHale-Kerber are both really dangerous lurkers. Petra needs to be careful

Excelscior
Mar 10th, 2012, 01:13 PM

Yes.

McHale can cause concern, and I like her.

But I think Petra's serve, will make a big difference. I think her kick serve and serve out wide may give McHale trouble (along with Petra's returns). And that may be the difference in the match.

McHale is 5'7", and can be susceptible to this (along with the power defecit). But she's good, and can be aggressive, when given the opportunity. Don't be fooled. She's not Caro.

Hopefully (if her doubles and first round match are any indicator-mind you none of us saw it, lol), Petra will be serving and returning well enough in this match, to make the difference.

Mynarco
Mar 10th, 2012, 01:14 PM
I bet Kvitty's match will be televised and we will see how her form really is

Excelscior
Mar 10th, 2012, 01:22 PM
I bet Kvitty's match will be televised and we will see how her form really is

Yes.

Television starts today.

Kvitty was on Centre Court, yesterday. And I'm sure she will be tommorow.

And she's playing a rising American.

You Betcha!! :yeah: :yeah:

Excelscior
Mar 10th, 2012, 03:34 PM
A little insight into the Vika and Petra doubles team (and Petra, from her last line).

Grand Slam champs unite for powerful women's doubles team

Written by
Britten Gerrard
The Desert Sun

INDIAN WELLS — The women's doubles draw just got a lot more intimidating at the BNP Paribas Open.

No. 1 in the world Victoria Azarenka teamed up with Petra Kvitova, the No. 3 player in the WTA rankings, to form a powerful duo. The two Grand Slam champions started off their doubles career together on Thursday with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Natalie Grandin and Vladimira Uhlirova.

Azarenka won the Australian Open in January while Kvitova took the Wimbledon title in 2011.

Azarenka jokingly said the idea of the two playing together came from their coaches while they were chatting drinking a beer. Whatever the case, the two played like doubles veterans in the first round.

On paper, the pair seems to be a strong team, as Kvitova is known for her powerful left-handed strokes while Azarenka is right-handed.

The two showed why they are the top singles players in the world, jumping out to a 3-0 lead. After Grandin and Uhlirova fought back to win two games, Azarenka and Kvitova faced little resistance to win the final three games of the first set. The second was identical as the top WTA players breezed through for the triumph.

Azarenka was enthusiastic after the match, jumping at the opportunity to embarrass Kvitova. While the on-court stadium announcer was talking, Azarenka ran to the mic and told the crowd it was Kvitova's 22nd birthday, which led to Azarenka leading the crowd in a Happy Birthday sing-a-long.

Kvitova felt it was an easy decision to play with her friend.

“In the locker room, we are chatting, laughing together. She's a friend so at the beginning we (decided) to play some doubles in the season. This tournament is great for this. We are good friends so why not?” Kvitova said Wednesday.

The two will face either Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci or Nina Bratchikova and Kveta Peschke, who play the first match today on Court 5.

No matter how successful the two become in doubles, Kvitova didn't hide her competitiveness when it came to facing each other in the future.

“If we play singles, it's different and I would like to win,” Kvitova said.

Mmmhhh.

OK. I like that!!

Excelscior
Mar 10th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Here's one of the few near summaries of Petra's match yesterday.

Note: this publication wrote Petra had a 3-1 second set lead, instead of BZS.

Petra Kvitova thunders past Barbora Zahlavova Strycova to round three – BNP Paribas Open 2012

Posted By: Steve Goerges, Tennis News

Petra Kvitova thunders past Barbora Zahlavova Strycova to round three – BNP Paribas Open 2012

World number three, Petra Kvitova, makes a thunderous comeback to the tennis circuit after her illness. She crushed her compatriot, Barbora Zahlavova Strycova, in the second round of the BNP Paribas Open in straight sets 6-1, 6-3 to begin her title campaign in Indian Wells.

A match that hardly lasted an hour witnessed some breathtaking shot making from the Czech tennis star who was in no mood to spare her compatriot at any stage is the match. It seemed like she was out there to prove her worth and show it to the world that she is one of the strongest contenders for the world number one spot.

She kicked-off the proceedings with an ace and continued to dominate the proceedings; broke serve in succession to take a resounding lead of 4-0 before gifting a consolation breakthrough to her opponent. She won another breakpoint in the following game that took the scores to 5-1 and with a help of an impressive serve hold, she gobbled up the first set triumph in quick succession.

With a blink of an eye, Kvitova took a lead of 3-1 in second set. She had already broken her opponent’s serve and was looking great to end this match in a hurry. However, a cameo from the inferior ranked Czech brought the set back into the balance.

Strycova broke serve in the fourth game to diminish the trail of breakpoints and registered a comprehensive serve hold to tie the scores at 3-3. It seemed like Kvitova was to be tested in the second half of the match but the third ranked Czech had other plans.

She picked up the momentum of the match and broke serve in the seventh game courtesy to a couple of jaw-dropping winners. She smacked two aces on the trot in the following game to stamp her authority and keep her lead intact.

Strycova had to hold her serve to stay in the set but she was up against the pumped up compatriot who was not in a mood to prolong the match further. She will try to repeat a similar performance against the American participant, Christina McHale in the next round.

mac47
Mar 10th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Well, it's actually possible that the online scoreboard was wrong, and this article is right. But both you and I noted that the online scoreboard had Petra down a break in that second set.

PetraReeMona
Mar 11th, 2012, 03:09 AM
Yes.

Television starts today.

Kvitty was on Centre Court, yesterday. And I'm sure she will be tommorow.

And she's playing a rising American.

You Betcha!! :yeah: :yeah:

Nope - Stadium 2 not before 4.30 pm :sobbing:. Which means she's not going to be streamed :sad:

Mynarco
Mar 11th, 2012, 03:47 AM
Nope - Stadium 2 not before 4.30 pm :sobbing:. Which means she's not going to be streamed :sad:

:sobbing:

Excelscior
Mar 11th, 2012, 05:11 AM

She should be streamed.

They have more than one camera there.

Don't worry (though I got the stadium assignment wrong). Lol

Enjoy!

Simugna Help
Mar 11th, 2012, 10:42 AM
4.30pm Pacific time is also 2.30am CET - the worst possible time to watch matches :sobbing:

Queen Petra Fan
Mar 11th, 2012, 11:10 AM
4.30pm Pacific time is also 2.30am CET - the worst possible time to watch matches :sobbing:

It's like the Australian Open all over again. Surviving the work week after all those early starts was brutal! :crying2:

Utterchaos
Mar 11th, 2012, 01:36 PM
It really sucks that the courts in IW are so slow. They really need to speed them up, counterpunching should not be so dominant. Take the next match for example. Would McHale have achance on fast indoor surface or grass? No the only reason people consider her as potential threat is the court speed allowing her to push balls back into play. Attacking players and big servers are badly disadvantaged. I for one prefer matches like the one against Lisicki in fedcup. Pure attacking tennis on display and Petra was unbroken the entire match.

PetraReeMona
Mar 11th, 2012, 01:56 PM
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

http://www.lshunter.tv/tennis-live-streaming-video.html

10.30 pm GMT so 11.30 pm CET

YES, YES, YES!!! :bounce:

Petronius
Mar 11th, 2012, 02:09 PM
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

10.30 pm GMT so 11.30 pm CET

YES, YES, YES!!! :bounce:

It's great that the match is listed, but is the time correct? Today (second Sunday in March), Indian Wells has switched to Pacific Daylight Time so the difference vs. GMT should be now 7 hours. The tournament's website says that Petra's match won't start until 4.30 pm local time, i.e. 11.30 pm GMT (0.30 a.m. CET). Of course, if the previous three matches on Stadium 2 last longer, the match may even start at around midnight in the UK.

JMHO :shrug:

PetraReeMona
Mar 11th, 2012, 02:43 PM
It's great that the match is listed, but is the time correct? Today (second Sunday in March), Indian Wells has switched to Pacific Daylight Time so the difference vs. GMT should be now 7 hours. The tournament's website says that Petra's match won't start until 4.30 pm local time, i.e. 11.30 pm GMT (0.30 a.m. CET). Of course, if the previous three matches on Stadium 2 last longer, the match may even start at around midnight in the UK.

True to everything you say Peter, BUT I'm just happy it's being shown and I'll see me some Petra :hearts::bounce::bounce:

Coconut91
Mar 11th, 2012, 03:10 PM
True to everything you say Peter, BUT I'm just happy it's being shown and I'll see me some Petra :hearts::bounce::bounce:

Yeah, it's been a while! Can't wait to watch her play again :bounce:

Petronius
Mar 11th, 2012, 03:10 PM

This!

Excelscior
Mar 11th, 2012, 04:02 PM
It really sucks that the courts in IW are so slow. They really need to speed them up, counterpunching should not be so dominant. Take the next match for example. Would McHale have achance on fast indoor surface or grass? No the only reason people consider her as potential threat is the court speed allowing her to push balls back into play. Attacking players and big servers are badly disadvantaged. I for one prefer matches like the one against Lisicki in fedcup. Pure attacking tennis on display and Petra was unbroken the entire match.

No.

The reason why people think McHale has a chance is cause she's a good rising player, it's in America/McHale's American, and LARGELY cause Petra hasn't played in over a month, and we haven't seen her play yet.

I'm going to stop here, and not mention how/why Petra plays well on slow surfaces (and why Indian Wells may be good for her), to not embarrassingly/enthusiastically jinx our Empress before her match tonight.

As far as the surfaces, across Tennis today, cry me a river. :) :devil: :). They all, including Petra have to adapt.

We'll learn some more tonight.

Excelscior
Mar 11th, 2012, 04:09 PM

Just to help (if you guys haven't figured it out yet), the match would start 4:30 pm for me, here in NYC.

So yeah, you guys should/would be 5-7 hrs ahead of me, with Day light savings time.

We just SPRUNG foward/ahead 1 hr.

So 12:30am-2:30am starts (your time), would be about right for you guys. Lol

Sorry Guys. We all go through it, depending where the tournaments are. :sad: :devil: :sad:

Petronius
Mar 11th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Preview from a betting site:

This tennis betting tip comes from the WTA event at Indian Wells and the match between Petra Kvitova (#3) and Christina McHale (#35).
Betting against Kvitova hasn't worked out for me so far but I keen to try again today.
On this surface I think her attacking style of play makes her vulnerable against a player like McHale.
Kvitova is one of the most attacking players in the women's game and on fast surfaces she's almost unbeatable.
Here at Indian Wells though the courts are slow. The fact the ball travels through the air quickly will also make it tough for Kvitova to control her ground strokes.
In her three previous visits to Indian Wells Kvitova has failed to reach the last 16.
McHale is a far more deliberate player and will look to get the ball back in court and force unforced errors from Kvitova.
She's been in very good form having won 7 of her last 9 tennis matches including a run to the Quarter Finals in Doha.
McHale will have the home crowd on her side and it won't be easy when there will be cheers everytime she makes an error.
Most bookmakers have the young American at 4.5, so the 5.6 currently available at Boylesports looks very good value.

mac47
Mar 11th, 2012, 07:59 PM
I guess all's fair in love and gambling.

Betting against Petra is strategic, right? If she wins, then, hey, your fave won! And if she loses, at least you made some money.

mdx
Mar 11th, 2012, 08:39 PM
It seems Eurosport is going to broadcast Petra's match tomorrow at noon czech time. It's not live but still better than nothing.

Martina CZ
Mar 11th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Just to help (if you guys haven't figured it out yet), the match would start 4:30 pm for me, here in NYC.

So yeah, you guys should/would be 5-7 hrs ahead of me, with Day light savings time.

We just SPRUNG foward/ahead 1 hr.

So 12:30am-2:30am starts (your time), would be about right for you guys. Lol

Sorry Guys. We all go through it, depending where the tournaments are. :sad: :devil: :sad:

Is there any livestream to catch Petra live?
It seems Eurosport will show just Azarenka´s match tonight (thanks for that, but...), the broadcast ends at 12:15am :fiery:

Excelscior
Mar 11th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Is there any livestream to catch Petra live?
It seems Eurosport will show just Azarenka´s match tonight (thanks for that, but...), the broadcast ends at 12:15am :fiery:

Yes.

Here's the livestream link.

Scroll down.

iPatty
Mar 11th, 2012, 10:00 PM
^ Was just coming here to post about this.

Can't wait to see her play. Can't believe it's been nearly two months.