PDA

View Full Version : Nav: Azarenka & Kvitova to be great rivals, Sharapova may not be able to keep up

Petronius
Feb 13th, 2012, 12:07 AM
http://www.supersport.com/tennis/more/news/120212/Azarenka_Kvitova_to_be_great_rivals

Tennis legend Martina Navratilova expects a compelling rivalry to develop between Australian Open champion Victoria Azarenka and Wimbledon winner Petra Kvitova.

Speaking ahead of an exhibition match at the Open GDF tournament in Paris on Sunday, Navratilova said Azarenka and Kvitova have all the right attributes.

"I think we definitely have the possibility of a great rivalry between Azarenka and Kvitova," Navratilova said. "They are very talented players. They have really intense personalities. They're very professional about how they go about it. If they stay healthy, that's the rivalry to come."

Navratilova was at the heart of the greatest rivalry in women's tennis when she and Chris Evert split Grand Slam titles in the 1970s and 80s.

The 18-time Grand Slam champion cast doubts on Maria Sharapova's capacity to keep up with Azarenka and Kvitova. Azarenka beat Sharapova in the Australian Open final last month to become the top-ranked player.

"I don't know if she can be fit to compete with those two, because they're stronger physically," Navratilova said.

Five different players have won the last five Grand Slam tournaments in an unpredictable period for the women's game. That has drawn criticism from some quarters, but nine-time Grand Slam winner Monica Seles says the game doesn't necessarily need a great rivalry to thrive.

"It's great also not to maybe have a rivalry," Seles said. "Now that we really don't know when the tournament starts (who's going to be in the final), I think it's really exciting for the fans.

"Right now, everybody's fighting to be that No 1 or to win the most Grand Slams. But the competition is pretty even. I think it's pretty exciting for fans to watch."

Thoughts ? What do you think, especially Maria fans ?

jameshazza
Feb 13th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Navratilova jumped off the Masha bandwagon since the money started rolling in.
And to say they're physically stronger isn't really correct. Also, Vika vs Kvitova isn't a rivalry, but Masha vs Kvitova can be a great one. Especially at Wimbledon.

miffedmax
Feb 13th, 2012, 12:45 AM
We need to see a few Vika/Petra matches and some more results from both before we say anything.

I can also see Martha coming out on top on the right surface if she got to take on the winner of a Petra/Vika shootout. (Yes, I know that happened at Wimby, but that wasn't the right surface--I'm thinking either the AO or the FO).

Craig.
Feb 13th, 2012, 12:48 AM
The reason being cuz they're stronger physically? :spit: BS.

miffedmax
Feb 13th, 2012, 12:52 AM
The reason being cuz they're stronger physically? :spit: BS.

Those Snickers are packed with peanuty energy!

hablo
Feb 13th, 2012, 01:03 AM
How long will Sharpie remained engaged for?

She's going to be 25 soon and her maternity instincts might kick in... Must be taken into consideration, I'm afraid. :devil::p

I don't know. I don't really see Sharpie in the mix for a slam victory but she can always proove me wrong. Hope she doesn't though. She doesn't have the fire, the fight she had when she first came on the scene. Plus she's still a brainless ballbasher and others are coming into their own and can now do it better (ie Kvitova, Azarenka).

doomsday
Feb 13th, 2012, 01:21 AM
:lol:

JRena
Feb 13th, 2012, 01:30 AM
Now all we need is a Mary Carillo rebuttal. :rolleyes:

KBdoubleu
Feb 13th, 2012, 01:32 AM
Her not being able to keep up with them wouldn't be because she's not as strong as them physically. It's her (lack of) consistency that holds her back against Azarenka and she's really at Kvitova's mercy when they're playing (as most players are) - she'll win if Kvitova is off and lose if Kvitova plays well.

tonybotz
Feb 13th, 2012, 01:34 AM
they are stronger physically. and azarenka is a much better mover. maria is damaged goods.

JCTennisFan
Feb 13th, 2012, 02:03 AM
She is presuming that both are a good deal ahead of the rest of the pack... which they havent totally proved themselves of being (especially Azarenka). For all we know they may not meet up again in a slam for years.... or it could be the next three slams in a row... there is no way for Nav to know these things. I doubt it will be much of a rivalry.

justineheninfan
Feb 13th, 2012, 02:19 AM
I dont think it will be an amazing rivalry. Kvitova will continue to win the vast majority of their head to head meetings. Azarenka though will probably be more consistent, and thus there will likely be a rankings battle, but that could involve numerous others. I expect both to be key players and win more slams, Kvitova will definitely win more career slams than Azarenka though IMO. I dont see them playing in that many slam finals though, most often when one makes it the other wont. I dont see them dominating womens tennis, even if they end up as the top 2, atleast not dominating yet. When they do play Kvitova will be the heavy favorite based on their H2H history up to now, and I dont see that aspect changing either.

JadeFox
Feb 13th, 2012, 02:32 AM
Well four years ago many people thought Sharapova and Ivanovic would be the next great, glamourous rivarly in women's tennis. Look how that turned out.

Now I would like it if Vika can swagger up a few more Slams but no one knows how the future will play out.

CloudAtlas
Feb 13th, 2012, 02:38 AM
Maria will more often that not come up short against both players, particularly Azarenka due to it being nightmare match up for her, owing to her stark inconsistency, further exacerbated by Azarenka's consistent grinding + her ability to be aggressive where absolutely neccessary. Simply put , both are better than her at this stage.

However to count out Sharapova on fitness is quite ridiculous and quite frankly shows ignorance on Martina's part. Azarenka is still the least fit of the three. She has already withdrawn once this year and there's no conclusive evidence that she'll cut out her retirements now that she's #1 and a Slam champion whereas Maria returned from a (from what I've read) serious ankle injury and was still able to get to a Slam final, playing rather well in the early stages and defeating one of the players in question en-route. So yes , in short , Martina's conclusion may be correct but her reasoning not so.

A Kvitova + Azarenka rivalry would be uplifting for the game and create some tension and excitement once more. However, Vika needs to start beating Petra a couple of times first.

RenaSlam.
Feb 13th, 2012, 03:14 AM
Maria will more often that not come up short against both players, particularly Azarenka due to it being nightmare match up for her, owing to her stark inconsistency, further exacerbated by Azarenka's consistent grinding + her ability to be aggressive where absolutely neccessary. Simply put , both are better than her at this stage.

However to count out Sharapova on fitness is quite ridiculous and quite frankly shows ignorance on Martina's part. Azarenka is still the least fit of the three. She has already withdrawn once this year and there's no conclusive evidence that she'll cut out her retirements now that she's #1 and a Slam champion whereas Maria returned from a (from what I've read) serious ankle injury and was still able to get to a Slam final, playing rather well in the early stages and defeating one of the players in question en-route. So yes , in short , Martina's conclusion may be correct but her reasoning not so.

A Kvitova + Azarenka rivalry would be uplifting for the game and create some tension and excitement once more. However, Vika needs to start beating Petra a couple of times first.

Delusional. Vika was the fittest player in Melbourne.

gc-spurs
Feb 13th, 2012, 03:33 AM
Vika snaps like a twig and Maria's not fit enough? I guess her 3 set record last year means nothing then. And being up there with points despite less tournaments. Yup good call Nav.

Shivank17
Feb 13th, 2012, 03:37 AM
Seems like Sharapova beating Kvitova was too hard on Grand-Ma-Rtina. :awww: :hug:

madmax
Feb 13th, 2012, 04:02 AM
Seems like Sharapova beating Kvitova was too hard on Grand-Ma-Rtina. :awww: :hug:

touche...her "saviour" was turned into brainless basher by non other than Maria in that SF and Martina is already firing up excuses. NID

Stonerpova
Feb 13th, 2012, 04:27 AM

:worship:

edificio
Feb 13th, 2012, 04:40 AM
Can they keep up with themselves?

thegreendestiny
Feb 13th, 2012, 04:40 AM
Bandwagontilova :o

How many times exactly did the Williams make her eat her words? :oh:

Brad[le]y.
Feb 13th, 2012, 04:54 AM
huh? didn't Pot Belly lose to Martha in the SF? :confused:

sweetadri06
Feb 13th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Martina annoys me alot. Maria just beat Kvitova and she's only 25. I think she will be in the mix with them in the coming years. Vika is not going to dominate with her grinder game and Kvitova is too inconsistent.

bandabou
Feb 13th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Hmmmm...what can you say. The more time goes by withou Maria winning that other major, the less likely she becomes to win it...so, I guess that could Martina's tought process.

stromatolite
Feb 13th, 2012, 09:00 AM
I'm kind of inclined to agree with Martina, but the key word is "may". TBH if someone had told me a year ago that by now Maria would have reached 2 slam finals and be #2 in the world I wouldn't have believed them. The tennis hasn't always been pretty, but even though I don't much like her I have to admit she's a tough cookie. I'm not writing her off just yet.

Marlene
Feb 13th, 2012, 09:39 AM
"I don't know if she can be fit to compete with those two, because they're stronger physically," Navratilova said.

If Martina meant to say "I don't know if she can stay healthy..." then I'd agree with her. I don't see Sharapova lasting another 10 years - not with her size, her shoulder issues etc.

Mistress of Evil
Feb 13th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Pova is in the best shape in her whole career! Its Martha's inconsistent game is her problem : a wild forehand, non-existent BH DTL, the serve (though, it seemed better), etc. :shrug:

vozas
Feb 13th, 2012, 10:24 AM
I've been predicting this "rivalry" to happen since the clay season last year.

But I have to quote Legend here... "What rivalry?" Kvitova always wins...

Petronius
Feb 13th, 2012, 10:48 AM

Laughing at the words of a 59-time grandslam champion ? :confused:
She didn't say that Maria is doomed, she said that Maria may have problems to keep up with these two.

Chrissie-fan
Feb 13th, 2012, 11:09 AM
From saint to sinner in the space of a couple of days. A few days ago when Martina gave her opinion on Wozniacki she was in the opinion of most here the legend of the game who was just telling it like it is. I don't sense the same degree of almost unanimous enthusiasm for her this time. Now she's all of a sudden Grand-Ma Rtina and Bandwagontilova. Hers must be the quickest transtition from icon to demented old fool I've ever seen. :lol:

doomsday
Feb 13th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Laughing at the words of a 59-time grandslam champion ? :confused:
She didn't say that Maria is doomed, she said that Maria may have problems to keep up with these two.

This is her opinion but I don't care about it, she says sth different after every major :rolleyes:

bandabou
Feb 13th, 2012, 11:30 AM
From saint to sinner in the space of a couple of days. A few days ago when Martina gave her opinion on Wozniacki she was in the opinion of most here the legend of the game who was just telling it like it is. I don't sense the same degree of almost unanimous enthusiasm for her this time. Now she's all of a sudden Grand-Ma Rtina and Bandwagontilova. Hers must be the quickest transtition from icon to demented old fool I've ever seen. :lol:

:lol: What can one say?! :lol:

TheHangover
Feb 13th, 2012, 11:37 AM
it's not about kvitova and azarenka, it's about sharapova, 2006 sharapova would eat both this girls for breakfast

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 13th, 2012, 12:27 PM

gee i wonder what caused it :lol:

Maria rocks
Feb 13th, 2012, 12:55 PM
http://www.livetennisguide.com/2012/02/13/martina-navratilova-doubts-on-maria-sharapova-and-hails-kvitova-azarenka/

COME ON MARIA PROVE HER WRONG YOU CAN GET THAT NUMBER ONE SPOT. :bounce:

Maria rocks
Feb 13th, 2012, 12:56 PM
http://www.supersport.com/tennis/more/news/120212/Azarenka_Kvitova_to_be_great_rivals

Tennis legend Martina Navratilova expects a compelling rivalry to develop between Australian Open champion Victoria Azarenka and Wimbledon winner Petra Kvitova.

Speaking ahead of an exhibition match at the Open GDF tournament in Paris on Sunday, Navratilova said Azarenka and Kvitova have all the right attributes.

"I think we definitely have the possibility of a great rivalry between Azarenka and Kvitova," Navratilova said. "They are very talented players. They have really intense personalities. They're very professional about how they go about it. If they stay healthy, that's the rivalry to come."

Navratilova was at the heart of the greatest rivalry in women's tennis when she and Chris Evert split Grand Slam titles in the 1970s and 80s.

The 18-time Grand Slam champion cast doubts on Maria Sharapova's capacity to keep up with Azarenka and Kvitova. Azarenka beat Sharapova in the Australian Open final last month to become the top-ranked player.

Five different players have won the last five Grand Slam tournaments in an unpredictable period for the women's game. That has drawn criticism from some quarters, but nine-time Grand Slam winner Monica Seles says the game doesn't necessarily need a great rivalry to thrive.

"It's great also not to maybe have a rivalry," Seles said. "Now that we really don't know when the tournament starts (who's going to be in the final), I think it's really exciting for the fans.

"Right now, everybody's fighting to be that No 1 or to win the most Grand Slams. But the competition is pretty even. I think it's pretty exciting for fans to watch."

Maria is gonna prove her wrong.

WowWow
Feb 13th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Nav is clearly biased. That much is obvious. :shrug:

marineblue
Feb 13th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Sharapova not being able to keep up? She has just beaten one of them in AO.

marineblue
Feb 13th, 2012, 01:14 PM

:oh:

Petronius
Feb 13th, 2012, 01:21 PM
http://www.livetennisguide.com/2012/02/13/martina-navratilova-doubts-on-maria-sharapova-and-hails-kvitova-azarenka/

COME ON MARIA PROVE HER WRONG YOU CAN GET THAT NUMBER ONE SPOT. :bounce:

There's already a thread for this discussion. Your input is welcome.

Vee Williams
Feb 13th, 2012, 01:34 PM

surprising, isn't it? how dare she express such an opinion!

lefty24
Feb 13th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Her Kvitova bias is ridiculous.
Maria less fit than Kvitova? Does she not see the muffin tops Kvitova has?

LightWarrior
Feb 13th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Nav should have said instead that Sharapova might not be able to keep up because she seems to choke in GS finals these days. Twice in a row. Against...Kvitova, then...Azarenka.

CloudAtlas
Feb 13th, 2012, 03:56 PM

:yeah::worship:

At least now we know the people on here who's opinions not to take seriously anymore.

Break My Rapture
Feb 13th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Well as long as Kvitty and Vika keep playing each other on Barktra's lawn and ice-rink, there won't be much of a rivalry.

Tomic
Feb 13th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Martina annoys me alot. Maria just beat Kvitova and she's only 25. I think she will be in the mix with them in the coming years. Vika is not going to dominate with her grinder game and Kvitova is too inconsistent.

I agree The Wta Is So WIde Open for anyone female to win and gain. & yes Kvitova have her day lol
Bandwagontilova :o

How many times exactly did the Williams make her eat her words? :oh:

All the Time. lol

Tomic
Feb 13th, 2012, 05:04 PM
I guess since Kuznetsova not in the top ten and not winning as much she have to jump side too Kvitova

MM_1257
Feb 13th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Don't worry folks, Ana, Vera and Sam are gonna eat them all. :lol:;):devil::lol::lol::lol: WTA will remain open IMO, but yes, I agree there could be Petra vs. Vika "dominance" with her dear Petra winning them all.

homogenius
Feb 13th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Well they're are younger and have a more complete game than maria, so she's right, they have a better chance to dominate in the next few years :shrug:

dsanders06
Feb 13th, 2012, 07:27 PM
gee i wonder what caused it :lol:

A Willytard trying to accuse others of double-standards :happy: :happy: Too much.

:facepalm: Terrible argument. The comments from Navratilova in the OP are a PREDICTION, while her comments on Wozniacki (stating the ranking system should be changed because Woz had brought it into disrepute) are an ANALYSIS of things that had actually happened - both are totally different things, and it's entirely legitimate for people to trust her analysis of what's best for the sport while not necessarily putting much stock in her predictions.

I for one think she's entitled to her opinion, although in this case I happen to disagree with her.

terjw
Feb 13th, 2012, 10:07 PM
A Willytard trying to accuse others of double-standards :happy: :happy: Too much.

:facepalm: Terrible argument. The comments from Navratilova in the OP are a PREDICTION, while her comments on Wozniacki (stating the ranking system should be changed because Woz had brought it into disrepute) are an ANALYSIS of things that had actually happened - both are totally different things, and it's entirely legitimate for people to trust her analysis of what's best for the sport while not necessarily putting much stock in her predictions.

I for one think she's entitled to her opinion, although in this case I happen to disagree with her.

When Nav says something you agree with - it's a fact. When you disagree with her - it's only an opinion. You crack me up dsanders. :lol:

Matt01
Feb 14th, 2012, 12:27 AM
I agree with Navratilova on this. :)

VeeJJ
Feb 14th, 2012, 01:25 AM
Let's all calm down. There is still way to many variables to make this assumption. We need to see more consistency with these girls first before we start saying they are gonna be leading the pack.

Smitten
Feb 14th, 2012, 02:59 AM
We already know Maria is local now. Azarenka bageling her in a slam F with her generic game was the final straw.

Shivank17
Feb 14th, 2012, 03:16 AM

Its different when Martina + Hingis + all the legends have the same opinion abt the Woz and when Martina gives a very bias opinion when Sharapova just beat Kvitova.
Chill Woz is not irrelevant already that u need to come up with these 'Woz fans the saints Pova fans the lame' posts , I am pretty Sure she is winning New Haven and Copenhagen this year. :yeah:

Brad[le]y.
Feb 14th, 2012, 03:21 AM
We already know Maria is local now. Azarenka bageling her in a slam F with her generic game was the final straw.

Legend was also bageled by her in a slam; the difference though is that it was an obvious tank job to give some local a remote amount of confidence.

Tennisation
Feb 14th, 2012, 03:23 AM
Nav should have said instead that Sharapova might not be able to keep up because she seems to choke in GS finals these days. Twice in a row. Against...Kvitova, then...Azarenka.Choking is when you're leading and should have won the match. The only thing Sharapova was choking on in these 2 matches was the 3 bananas Hogstedt instructed her to eat during changeover.

Volcana
Feb 14th, 2012, 03:38 AM
Nav knows what it's like to be in an intense rivalry.

And she knows what it's like to somebody bigger, stronger and younger when you're an aging champion. Sharapova isn't Nav, and Kvitova/Azarenka sure ain't Graf, but it's the same deal writ small.

In sports, somebody better ALWAYS comes along.

stromatolite
Feb 14th, 2012, 07:07 AM

Sorry, but the distinction eludes me. Would you mind putting your facepalm smilie on hold for a minute and explaining what her PREDICTION is based on if not ANALYSIS? When it comes down to it, both statements she made are "just" her (informed) opinion, based on observing what has happened in recent WTA history.

madmax
Feb 14th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Well they're are younger and have a more complete game than maria, so she's right, they have a better chance to dominate in the next few years :shrug:

is that why Kvitty was made to look like a brainless basher in that AO SF by non other but Maria herself?:lol:

homogenius
Feb 14th, 2012, 08:06 AM
is that why Kvitty was made to look like a brainless basher in that AO SF by non other but Maria herself?:lol:

No that's why she won a major (kicking Maria's ass in the process)and the YEC in the last 12 months.

C. Drone
Feb 14th, 2012, 10:30 AM
I would give credit to her following things better than some journo and other legendary dinosaur, but her head really stuck in Kvitty´s ass, hard to take her seriously.

StoneRose
Feb 14th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Martina says a lot of things :rolleyes:.

Tennis Observer
Apr 29th, 2012, 07:47 PM
From Navratilova: Azarenka, Kvitova to be great rivals (http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/news.aspx?articleid=16406&zoneid=4) (February 12th 2012):
The 18-time Grand Slam champion [Martina Navratilova] cast doubts on Maria Sharapova’s capacity to keep up with Azarenka and Kvitova. Azarenka beat Sharapova in the Australian Open final last month to become the top-ranked player.

“I don’t know if she can be fit to compete with those two because they’re stronger physically,” Navratilova said.

2012 Credentials:

4,940 points: Victoria Azarenka (Four Championships: GS Australian Open, PM Indian Wells, P5 Doha, P Sydney; Runner Up: P700 Stuttgart)
3,390 points Maria Sharapova (Championship: P700 Stuttgart; Three Runner Ups: GS Australian Open, PM Indian Wells & PM Miami)
1,385 points Petra Kvitova (Three Seminfinals: GS Australian Open, P700 Stuttgart & P Sydney)

Steven.
Apr 29th, 2012, 07:49 PM
I love all of these bumps :haha:

Shivank17
Apr 29th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Nice Bump. :oh:

Grand Martina must be bummed. :oh:

pov
Apr 29th, 2012, 07:55 PM
:haha: Another example of how reactionary sports people (fans, media and former players) often are.

Slampova
Apr 29th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Navs and her mouth :lol:

Charlatan
Jun 9th, 2012, 04:23 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m55qc2ssY71r0bb78o1_500.gif

Sgt.Timmykinz
Jun 9th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Oh Martina!

Joelina
Jun 9th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Martina :tape: your predictions fail

JJ all the way
Jun 9th, 2012, 04:35 PM
We need to see a few Vika/Petra matches and some more results from both before we say anything.

I can also see Martha coming out on top on the right surface if she got to take on the winner of a Petra/Vika shootout. (Yes, I know that happened at Wimby, but that wasn't the right surface--I'm thinking either the AO or the FO).

Good Call ! ;)

Oh Martina!

I am so glad Martina was watching this match live

GrandMartha
Jun 9th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Navs and her mouth :lol:

my thoughts exactly.

serendipitynow
Jun 9th, 2012, 04:47 PM
blooper :oh:

jrm
Jun 9th, 2012, 04:49 PM
i always look at the best what i can expect from players and in these terms Kvitova and Azarenka are superior to Sharapova; what can be shown on certain period of time, that's a different story!

Mynarco
Jun 9th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Oh dear Martina :tape:

FoxyliciousKhat
Jun 9th, 2012, 04:58 PM
I thought about this when Pova beat Kvitova two days ago.

Martina is such a witch!

Foxy

Gilas.
Jun 9th, 2012, 05:00 PM
She is right :shrug: Vika is the future of tennis, and her main rival is Kvitova on fast surfaces.

madmax
Jun 9th, 2012, 05:06 PM
i always look at the best what i can expect from players and in these terms Kvitova and Azarenka are superior to Sharapova; what can be shown on certain period of time, that's a different story!

:confused:

Temperenka
Jun 9th, 2012, 05:10 PM
The true rivalry is Sharapova and Azarenka. Kvitty is really only relevant on grass and indoor surfaces.

But Maria/Vika has all of the makings of a great rivalry. Lots of big matches, drama... I want more of them in the finals.

"fucking bitch" :inlove:

Vincey!
Jun 9th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Navratilova is in love with Kvitova. :shrug:

MrJovani2293
Jun 9th, 2012, 05:15 PM
I really like Martina but she is way to bias towards Kvitova. Plus I really don't think Azarenka will be able to keep the mental strength up for too long. She is going to start losing a few more matches and then the anger will start to come out.

I think that Maria vs Kvitova on grass and when Kvitova feels like playing a good match will be a great rivalry.

Shivank17
Jun 9th, 2012, 05:21 PM
The true rivalry is Sharapova and Azarenka. Kvitty is really only relevant on grass and indoor surfaces.

But Maria/Vika has all of the makings of a great rivalry. Lots of big matches, drama... I want more of them in the finals.

"Extremely Injured." :inlove:

AcesHigh
Jun 9th, 2012, 05:23 PM

Please tell me how it has the makings of a great rivalry. They haven't had a 3 set match in 3 years.. they haven't even had a tiebreaker or 7-5 set in years.

And 4 of the last 5 completed matches have had Vika trash Maria.

It's not a rivalry until Sharapova can show she can hang with Vika.

serenafann
Jun 9th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Don't trust sourpuss Martina to tell you the time of day!

RyanGuy
Jun 9th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Navs is not good at sex

claypova
Jun 9th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Fucking Bitch vs Extremely Injured, love it :sobbing:

doomsday
Jun 9th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Please tell me how it has the makings of a great rivalry. They haven't had a 3 set match in 3 years.. they haven't even had a tiebreaker or 7-5 set in years.

And 4 of the last 5 completed matches have had Vika trash Maria.

It's not a rivalry until Sharapova can show she can hang with Vika.

On clay its clearly the other way around though.:lol:

AcesHigh
Jun 9th, 2012, 05:54 PM
On clay its clearly the other way around though.:lol:

I'd like to see them play more.. I do like Maria more

doomsday
Jun 9th, 2012, 05:58 PM
I'd like to see them play more.. I do like Maria more

And I really think that they will play each other a lil more, not on grass obviously. But I think on HC it should be interesting, Vika clearly has the edge on slow HC though I give the edge to Maria on fast HC and clay but yeah bring the rivalry that's all we asking for IMO.
It's good to see them both at the top. Women's tennis is really making sense atm and I love this.

marineblue
Jun 9th, 2012, 05:59 PM
All the over the top ramblings from grandma Navratilova have put a curse over Kvitty:lol:

Fuzzylogic
Jun 9th, 2012, 06:01 PM
I don't get it, how can people be bumping the thread proclaiming she is wrong already? She just made the prediction four months ago, why doesn't everyone at least wait to see how the next four slams pan out, then we can laugh at how wrong she was.

Raiden
Jun 9th, 2012, 06:15 PM
As of now:

HC:
Vika >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Masha
Masha > Petra
Petra > Vika

Clay:
Masha >>>>> Vika
Masha >> Petra
Petra >>> Vika

Grass:
Masha ? Vika (yet to play)
Petra >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Masha
Petra >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Vika

bulava
Jun 9th, 2012, 06:18 PM
I've nothing against Petra or Maria. In my wishlist, I would place them to be great rivals at least until the end of 2013 season:

Victoria vs Serena :yeah:

Many said similar things about Rafael Nadal when Federer was ruling the roost. Look where is he now :)

The Witch-king
Jun 9th, 2012, 06:19 PM
I'll never forgive Nav for that comment about a non-Williams final being better for fans

Joelina
Jun 9th, 2012, 06:20 PM
As of now:

HC:
Masha > Petra
Petra > Vika

Clay:
Masha >>>>> Vika
Masha >> Petra
Petra >>> Vika

Grass:

no

doomsday
Jun 9th, 2012, 06:20 PM
HC:
Masha > Petra
Petra > Vika

Clay:
Masha >>>>> Vika
Masha >> Petra
Petra >>> Vika

Grass:

There are fast HC and slow HC, Vika has the edge over both of them on slow HC but not on fast IMO or indoors too. And I don't believe for a second that Petra is good enough to beat Vika on slow HC, she was just lucky to lose against Mc fail or sth during the beginning of the year :lol:
Then Petra is not that superior at Maria on grass they've played just once.:help:

doujyr
Jun 9th, 2012, 06:21 PM
azarenka :lol::lol::lol:

busted flush

Shivank17
Jun 9th, 2012, 06:37 PM
One meeting and Petra is so much better than Maria on grass? :rolleyes: Maria has achieved much more than Petra on grass so far.

Vikapower
Jun 9th, 2012, 08:59 PM
There are fast HC and slow HC, Vika has the edge over both of them on slow HC but not on fast IMO or indoors too.

There are not many fast HCs out there again, Dubai, Cincinnati and Stanford. Stanford is plexipave, true hard and Maria lost the F. They played in Moscou in 2007, indoor RukortHard, one of the slowest out there, they played on Miami's Laykold and Indian Wells super-slow plexipave and the results were always the same. Also in Australian Open's plexipave --

Maria's only win comes in Beijing, which uses Decoturf a medium paced hard and actually Victoria was even serving for the match at 5-2 third set, 5 or 6 times she was 2 points away from the match before Maria made a come back -- Victoria has the clear edge on hard-courts over Maria whichever the type.

It's true though that Victoria is a very good and better slow HC player (I forgot also she made the F in Istanbul on a slow indoor hard too) -- she always gave Serena troubles on Plexicushion who stole at least 1 AO from her and beat her on LayKold.

jameshazza
Jun 9th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Yes, I actually wanted to bump this a few days ago. But didn't wanna' jinx :lol:
It is hilarious that it was actually Maria's superior physical strength that these girls failed to keep up with.

Cloon76
Jun 9th, 2012, 09:11 PM
As of now:

HC:
Masha > Petra
Petra > Vika

Clay:
Masha >>>>> Vika
Masha >> Petra
Petra >>> Vika

Grass:

Very well put :)

Petronius
Jun 9th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Great bump and good for the tour that Martina has been wrong so far. But let's be fair, she said "MAY NOT".

jameshazza
Jun 9th, 2012, 09:15 PM
With the rivalries, personally the tennis rivalry is still Petra vs. Masha. Yeah Petra's been a bit shitty this year, but that's mainly because she didn't improve over the off-season. I'm sure they'll have a lot of great matches.

With Vika vs Masha, I always felt it was on her racket. If Maria plays shit she humiliates herself against her, if Maria plays great she just has too much game. But their bitching/shade needs to keep happening.

missvarsha
Jun 9th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Well everyone is basing Azarenka and Ludmilla's greatness on the basis of one tournament win each.
This is not to say they don't have game, but as tennis history is littered with a bazillion players with game who are one or none slam wonders, I'd wait 8 years, if not at least two to see if either of those ladies will ever make good again.

bandabou
Jun 9th, 2012, 09:52 PM
:lol: Nice...although clay has been Masha's best surface the last few years and isn't the best for Kvitova and Azarenka. Now let's see how Maria does on the non-clay surfaces.

Linguae^
Jun 9th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Fortunately - this did not happen.

Mr.Sharapova
Jun 9th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Navratilova flop :oh:.

I want as many matches between these three players as possible this year. Sharapova and Kvitova have already faced three times this year with Maria leading 3-0 with Azarenka it's 1-2. So I guess Maria is a worthy 1# among the competition.

MadisonK
Jan 25th, 2014, 03:25 PM
They never played after 2011 :oh:

Hazelwood
Jan 25th, 2014, 03:28 PM

Navratilova never was the brightest bulb ...:lol:

JCTennisFan
Jan 28th, 2014, 01:17 AM
Navratilova never was the brightest bulb ...:lol:

...... or it is just really hard to predict the future?

Watching Kvitova in 2011 and 2012 it looked as though she was going to be a dominant force.

Turns out she is basically Mary Pierce but at the time it was difficult to predict that she'd be so streaky.

Panther24
Jan 28th, 2014, 01:24 AM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Qn_jja1cFmw/UUuij0ZwFxI/AAAAAAAABEY/L4YOIvrN1l4/s245/pressednova2.gif

serena_the_queen
Jan 28th, 2014, 01:42 AM

No way, Maria is easily the fittest of these three and probably the strongest too.

Volcana
Jan 28th, 2014, 04:29 AM
No way, Maria is easily the fittest of these three and probably the strongest too.Do you actually think you're a better judge of that than Navratilova?

Print out your tennis resume and her tennis resume. Take the names off and post them on the wall. Which resume do you believe is a better judge of tennis players and their abilities.

Queen Vika
Jan 28th, 2014, 04:36 AM
Both fat :oh:

madmax
Jan 28th, 2014, 04:37 AM
Both fat :oh:

and getting fatter by the day it seems...:devil:

stromatolite
Jan 28th, 2014, 07:13 AM
If all those calling Martina an idiot for this faulty prediction would be so kind as to return the compliment to themselves on her behalf every time they made a prediction that turned out to be even more spectacularly wrong, we might actually get somewhere around here.

The only possible problem is that the sudden outburst of soul-searching confessions may well overload TF's systems.

bandabou
Jan 28th, 2014, 07:20 AM
Hmmmm....Vika did her part, Petra otoh...:help:

chingching
Jan 28th, 2014, 07:26 AM
I still remember Petra's #1 Ranking Choke... And I am not sure if she will ever get back there... Hopefully as at her best she can beat Azarenka :)