I would say Maria Sharapova.

hBence
Feb 12th, 2012, 08:45 PM
definitely Serena

Pump-it-UP
Feb 12th, 2012, 08:46 PM
This will NOT end well :o
Nope. :lol:

But I'd vote for Serena's. Her backhand was garbage in Australia, but she was hitting it fairly well during the US hardcourt season last summer, so I'm hoping that it's just been poor so far in 2012 because of her ankle/footwork. :unsure:

Maria's BH leaks too many errors nowadays. It's inexplicable how that shot has lost its stability over the past 1.5 years. In most of her losses lately, her backhand is actually more to blame than her serve.

Oh, the poll's asking about peak vs peak. :o:o

Craig.
Feb 12th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Anur Ivanovic.

Miracle Worker
Feb 12th, 2012, 08:55 PM
* subscribe *

:lick:

Sammo
Feb 12th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Sharona.

madmax
Feb 12th, 2012, 08:58 PM
TF of course will deny it, but Maria at her peak has the best BH on tour.

Berlin_Calling
Feb 12th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Serena's, although both have been extremely volatile lately.

Sammo
Feb 12th, 2012, 09:01 PM

And still gets massacred by Hingis :lol:

Vee Williams
Feb 12th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Serena and it's not even close.

Brad[le]y.
Feb 12th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Justine Henin :rolls: :p

Mistress of Evil
Feb 12th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Herpes :bowdown:

EDIT: some bitch beat me to it :o

madmax
Feb 12th, 2012, 09:15 PM
And still gets massacred by Hingis :lol:

who?:lol:
Masha has a winning record over this blast from the past..

Sammo
Feb 12th, 2012, 09:20 PM
who?:lol:
Masha has a winning record over this blast from the past..

Wasn't Shutupova near her peak in Tokyo 2006? :oh: Cause I would say so.

doomsday
Feb 12th, 2012, 09:30 PM

Mauresmo's words that's exactly what she said and she added that's noone come close. Maria has the best BH on Tour at her peak, period.
Serena has the serve for her but not the BH.

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 12th, 2012, 09:33 PM

TF apparently has always denied that Peak Martha has the best everything

Vikapower
Feb 12th, 2012, 09:34 PM
8-14 : poll ? Serena's BH is like watching Madonna dance at 53 [...] eventually the mediocrity of both value one another but from the ratings, one got back to her #1 spot dismantling Gaga on her route while the other sinks and keeps sinking to mediocrity while watching her blond prodigy furtherance her legacy towards hers. Maria has always done everything better than Serena, even bedroom sexy dancing aka Youtube.

pierce85
Feb 12th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Justine, by far. Not only a major offensive weapon but a major defensive one as well (backhand slice)

Break My Rapture
Feb 12th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Sharapova's CC BH is the only reliable shot left in her game, and it's a pretty darn good one. If not for this shot, she would not have scraped through that Cincy final vs Junkovic. Williamsova's BH in general has been harshly unimpressive for a while now. But both BH are very good at their peak.

I think they're equal, can't figure out which one's better.

jameshazza
Feb 12th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Peak vs Peak
Masha, just slightly though.
Serena does almost everything else better. :bigcry:

vixter
Feb 12th, 2012, 09:57 PM
They both have great backhands. :shrug:

vixter
Feb 12th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Mauresmo's words that's exactly what she said and she added that's noone come close. Maria has the best BH on Tour at her peak, period.
Serena has the serve for her but not the BH.

Just because Mauresmo said that doesn't make it an ultimate truth. The notion that noone would even come close is just ridiculous. Both Maria and Serena have pretty flawless backhands, just like Justine and Venus has too.

doomsday
Feb 12th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Just because Mauresmo said that doesn't make it an ultimate truth. The notion that noone would even come close is just ridiculous. Both Maria and Serena have pretty flawless backhands, just like Justine and Venus has too.

Ridiculous for you maybe. Mauresmo knows what she is talking about, she played both players at their peak she is certainly a more reliable source than you so deal with it.

Sombrerero loco
Feb 12th, 2012, 11:56 PM
please :o
serena...

Shivank17
Feb 13th, 2012, 03:31 AM
Sharapova.Its the only shot Maria has better than Rena.

Leo St
Feb 13th, 2012, 03:41 AM
crosscourt sharapova and no one does come close.

serena's has more diversity and can create angles

dtl i like venus and jankovic

SwingVolley93
Feb 13th, 2012, 04:42 AM
:rolleyes:

madmax
Feb 13th, 2012, 04:45 AM
crosscourt sharapova and no one does come close.

serena's has more diversity and can create angles

dtl i like venus and jankovic

and Maria can't?:lol:
Please, it's logical to conclude that 6'2 player with long arms is better equipped to create angles than any contemporary 5'9-er

InsideOut.
Feb 13th, 2012, 05:20 AM
Serena has a better DTL BH, Maria has a better CC BH.

justineheninfan
Feb 13th, 2012, 05:25 AM
Please, it's logical to conclude that 6'2 player with long arms is better equipped to create angles than any contemporary 5'9-er

Pre stabbing Seles was 5'9 or shorter and created better angles than anyone in the history of the game.

Leo St
Feb 13th, 2012, 05:27 AM

i just think maria unleashes her power with this shot so it can go either side of the baseline at the corners of course, but serenas can be more of a control shot going in the side areas of the t

madmax
Feb 13th, 2012, 05:37 AM
i just think maria unleashes her power with this shot so it can go either side of the baseline at the corners of course, but serenas can be more of a control shot going in the side areas of the t

creative BH angled shots is what won Maria her maiden slam in 2004 - she still wasn't as strong physically as more matured veterans, but that shot really caused havoc that summer on grass. So when it comes to CC, Maria is the queen here. Now Jankovic and Venus probably have better DTL shots, but it's a risky stroke anyway and going CC is a proven tactic in WTA tennis at least.
p.s. as for Serena, everything in her game apart from serve gets constantly overrated, but that's a common trait with successful players, so let's just agree to disagree here

bandabou
Feb 13th, 2012, 08:01 AM
This might be the only area where Sharapova is semi competitive with Serena and might even be slightly better. So let's give it to her.
Serena thrumps her in every other department, that it still won't be competitive.

gc-spurs
Feb 13th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Sharapova.Its the only shot Maria has better than Rena.

This might be the only area where Sharapova is semi competitive with Serena and might even be slightly better. So let's give it to her.
Serena thrumps her in every other department, that it still won't be competitive.

These.
Can we please just give Pova something :sobbing:
Her ambidextrous[ity] (lol) makes the backhand punishing. Mutant.

SymphonyX
Feb 13th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Meh. Practically the same if you measure it against the rest of the tour.

Galang
Feb 14th, 2012, 12:14 AM
Rena stans deluding themselves as usual

SwingVolley93
Feb 14th, 2012, 12:27 AM

Giving you a vacation :rolleyes:

Anyway, Ma$ha consistently hits with more pace on the BH than Sarin. That being said Serena uses angle MUCH more often (and for MS stans to say other wise is complete delusion.) All in all it's really a hard decision. BECAUSE

For Maria her BH is BY FAR her best shot which is why it stands out and many would think its one of the best, where as Serena's other shots are equal or greater weapons.
In my opinion Serena's is marginally better than Maria's because of her versatility, where as Maria's only extreme good shot is the CC.
:wavey:

thrust
Feb 14th, 2012, 01:05 AM
Serena is superior to Maria in every aspect of the game. !3 Slams for Serena, 3 for Maria. Accept the reality!

Steven.
Feb 14th, 2012, 01:16 AM
Serena is superior to Maria in every aspect of the game. !3 Slams for Serena, 3 for Maria. Accept the reality!

using slam count as an argument. NID :worship:

danieln1
Feb 14th, 2012, 01:21 AM
Serena delivered 2 backhand winners to win 2 of the most devastating losses of Sharapova's career: AO 05 SF and AO 07 F

Go figure who has the better backhand

Also that backhand won the US Open in 08 and Melbourne in 10

Craig.
Feb 14th, 2012, 01:35 AM
Serena delivered 2 backhand winners to win 2 of the most devastating losses of Sharapova's career: AO 05 SF and AO 07 F

Go figure who has the better backhand

Also that backhand won the US Open in 08 and Melbourne in 10

What the hell does this have to do with anything? :lol:

Macomere
Feb 14th, 2012, 01:38 AM

Stfu. When your ass isn't creating pathetic threads, ur posting nonesense like this..you have some nerve as a Pova fan, to be calling Serena fans deluded :rolleyes: :hysteric: this shouldnt even be a contest...

VeeJJ
Feb 14th, 2012, 01:43 AM
Oh girl :lol: The new ones always give us so much life :lol:

Orbis
Feb 14th, 2012, 04:21 AM
I think Sharapova's backhand at her peak is the best backhand around. She can blast winners from anywhere, hit good angles, absorb pace, and consistently keep the ball deep...on the other hand, it's hard to judge Serena's shots at her peak because they're all so explosive :lol: tough call I guess

In The Zone
Feb 14th, 2012, 04:24 AM
^^ Exactly. On an overall basis, Sharapova's backhand. (Notice how we are discussing the backhand, you know why? Serena beats Sharapova in every other category). In terms of peakness, I'd take every single one of Serena's shots. See OZ 07 F.

Fighterpova
Feb 14th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Omg I sense peak drama coming up :hysteric:

Alejandrawrrr
Feb 14th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Not really, I'm pretty sure this exact topic was discussed before. Peak v Peak is played out, the trolls cannot take :sad:

Michael*
Feb 14th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Maria's BH is too one dimensional. Her defensive backhand is a left handed forehand. because Serena can actually do everything with her BH it has to be her.

Galang
Feb 14th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Not really, I'm pretty sure this exact topic was discussed before. Peak v Peak is played out, the trolls cannot take :sad:

Girl, you need to get over yourself.

I open a simple thread and get called a troll. LMAO.

Alejandrawrrr
Feb 14th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Girl, you need to get over yourself.

I open a simple thread and get called a troll. LMAO.

Who called you a troll? I said "the trolls cannot take" as in, Miss Vikapower, Madmax et al can't even be bothered to start some shit in these threads anymore :help:

MrSerenaWilliams
Feb 14th, 2012, 03:29 PM
It's been said a bunch, but Maria's BH CC could be considered better than Serena's (especially on the ROS). It's the one shot of hers that I see consistently winning her a bunch of points/setting her up for easy winners.

That being said, Serena's DTL BH is probably second best to Venus' (of all active players) in terms of it's explosiveness (if we're discussing "peaks" anyway). Azarenka's BH DTL is pretty good too (obviously).

Serena is also better at creating angles (using much more acute angles than Maria) and hitting it on the run.

In the end, Serena's > Maria's, but it's much closer than comparing the other aspects of their games.

Let's not forget this gem:
Em9uuA03hi8

donellcarey
Feb 14th, 2012, 03:40 PM
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x201/donell_carey/129132509531147.gif

Ooooh absolutely Serena's. But it's a close call, I think.

matty
Feb 14th, 2012, 05:31 PM
8-14 : poll ? Serena's BH is like watching Madonna dance at 53 [...] eventually the mediocrity of both value one another but from the ratings, one got back to her #1 spot dismantling Gaga on her route while the other sinks and keeps sinking to mediocrity while watching her blond prodigy furtherance her legacy towards hers. Maria has always done everything better than Serena, even bedroom sexy dancing aka Youtube.

Delusion at it's finest :spit: :cuckoo: :smoke: :happy:

faboozadoo15
Feb 14th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Maria's BH is too one dimensional. Her defensive backhand is a left handed forehand. because Serena can actually do everything with her BH it has to be her.

Oh please, her slices and dropshots are some of the worst on tour, and that's off her better wing.