PDA

View Full Version : Lonely? Shy? Sad? Well now you're 'mentally ill', too

fifty-fifty
Feb 11th, 2012, 02:21 AM
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/lonely-shy-sad-well-now-youre-mentally-ill-too-6699884.html

Expanded psychiatric 'bible' will see more people needlessly medicated, experts warn

Mild eccentrics, oddball romantics and the lonely, shy and sad could find themselves diagnosed with a mental disorder if proposals to add new conditions to the world's most widely used psychiatric bible go ahead, experts have warned.

A major revision of the the 1994 Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, whose fifth edition is due for publication next year, threatens to extend psychiatric diagnoses to millions of people currently regarded as normal, they say. Among the diagnostic labels are "oppositional defiance disorder" for challenging adolescents, "gambling disorder" for those compelled to have a flutter, and "hypersexual disorder" for those who think about sex at least once every 20 minutes. People crippled by shyness or suffering from loneliness could be diagnosed with "dysthymia", defined as "feeling depressed for most of the day".

More worrying, according to some experts, are attempts to redefine crimes as illnesses, such as "paraphilic coercive disorder", applied to men engaged in sexual relationships involving the use of force. They are more commonly known as rapists.

The revised DSM 5, which is in draft form and subject to review, is produced and used in the US but its influence extends to Europe and beyond. Critics fear it could increase the numbers diagnosed with mental illness and treated with powerful drugs when their problems should be addressed by social, educational or political initiatives.

More than 11,000 mental health researchers and experts have called for the draft version of the manual to be abandoned and the review rethought.

Peter Kinderman, professor of clinical psychology at the University of Liverpool, said that in addition to pathologising behaviour that would otherwise be counted as a crime, such as rape, it also pathologised behaviour that did not cause harm to others even though it might be regarded as eccentric, such as dressing up in rubber. "Many people have huge concerns that if a person's sexual history involves repeated episodes of coercion and that is regarded as an illness it gives people an excuse for their disorder," he said.

But other behaviours, such as spending hours on the internet, could be regarded as "making life more interesting and fun". "Many people who are shy, bereaved, eccentric, or have unconventional romantic lives will suddenly find themselves labelled as 'mentally ill'," he said. "This isn't valid, isn't true, isn't humane. And it won't help decide what help a person needs."

Nick Craddock, professor of psychiatry at the University of Liverpool, said the expansionist tendencies of the manual were pulling in more aspects of behaviour and cognition. "That means medicalising normal human behaviour," he said. "It risks labelling people who are otherwise normal."

Psychiatric Bible: New disorders

Gambling disorder Preoccupied with gambling, needing increasing amounts of money for the same level of excitement.

Attenuated psychosis syndrome Delusions, hallucinations, mildly disorganised speech at least once a week.

Hypersexual disorder Recurrent and intense sexual fantasies and urges over at least six months which are unsuccessfully controlled.

Dysthymia A low, dark, or sad mood on most days for at least two years in adults or one year in children.

Paraphilic coercive disorder Recurrent and intense sexual arousal from sexual coercion, as manifested by fantasies, urges, or behaviours.

Barrie_Dude
Feb 11th, 2012, 03:10 PM
I work in the feild and see many people that are over medicated

pov
Feb 11th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Much maybe most of the field of psychology is a crock. Unfortunately some people continue to pay homage to those they deem experts.

Apoleb
Feb 11th, 2012, 03:22 PM
What a ridiculous article. First of all, there's nothing wrong at all in including those conditions in a list of disorders. Most of those people are suffering in one way or another, and their lives are hampered, and that's the most important criterion for medical diagnosis and treatment, really. Second of all, if some of those opposing this weren't so stigmatized themselves by mental illness and so taken by what constitutes "normal" or "abnormal behavior" (or "criminal" for that matter), they wouldn't be so uptight.

Dav.
Feb 11th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Much maybe most of the field of psychology is a crock. Unfortunately some people continue to pay homage to those they deem experts.

Um, no. There are some doctors that over-medicate, but that does not count for "much" of the field.

miffedmax
Feb 11th, 2012, 05:21 PM
All Dementieva fans should be on medication, even 1 year + after her retirement.

ico4498
Feb 11th, 2012, 06:44 PM
which of those will get me a prescription for weed?

Sally Struthers
Feb 11th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Having double majored in psychology and something else, I can safely say that much of psychology is a crock imo :o

lefty24
Feb 13th, 2012, 06:28 PM
I'm 17 now but when I was younger I was really shy and people thought I was mentally ill.

Dominic
Feb 13th, 2012, 07:49 PM
I'm 17 now but when I was younger I was really shy and people thought I was mentally ill.

Cause you weren't outgoing? :eek:

miffedmax
Feb 14th, 2012, 02:25 AM
"Dysthymia A low, dark, or sad mood on most days for at least two years in adults or one year in children."

I thought this was just good old fashioned depression.

Halardfan
Feb 14th, 2012, 03:11 AM
I think such things are over-diagnosed and over-medicated these days...people want to put feelings into a neat little box that explains everything and its more complicated than that.

Pvt. Kovalenko
Feb 14th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Many people who are shy, bereaved, eccentric, or have unconventional romantic lives will suddenly find themselves labelled as 'mentally ill'

I knew I had a problem.. :facepalm:

Well, talking serious now, looks like everything can be solved with some kind of drug. I don't know why, but this seems a new way of making easy money, for some pharmaceutical company..

Apoleb
Feb 14th, 2012, 04:21 AM
"Dysthymia A low, dark, or sad mood on most days for at least two years in adults or one year in children."

Major depression has more diagnostic criteria (sleep disturbances, weight loss/gain, more intense with a sort of defined onset..etc), so basically dysthymia is a mild form of depression and has nothing to do with being lonely and shy.

Dawn Marie
Feb 21st, 2012, 03:03 AM
This is dangerous. On another note a friend that i've known for over a year and a half just had another breakdown. I knew something was off and I just found out she Borderline. I knew she just wasnt just Bipolar with Ptsd! Then she had this obsession with me. I had to cut her off after she contacted my mom thru facebook last week! Told me that if she killed herself i should feel guilty?? Then wanted me to visted her at the mental health facility??? very unstable. Would get upset when I didnt call. Even thought I wanted her man who has 10 kids. WTF?? Yet it's intersting,

Sammo
Feb 21st, 2012, 12:34 PM
Farmaceutical companies trying to medicate people for nothing? How surprising... :rolleyes:

hdfb
Feb 21st, 2012, 12:40 PM

Dysthmia is hangs around for years, depression comes in episodes/phases, that is the difference.

AliceMariaRenka
Feb 21st, 2012, 12:41 PM
People are supposed to have different feelings including feeling sad.

No wonder society is such a mess. People go running to the doctor too much with all this overblown talk. When you think what people used to have to deal with without resorting to medication and drugs. There's a lot to be said for more old fashioned ideas, such as a good slap or a stiff upper lip!

AliceMariaRenka
Feb 21st, 2012, 12:44 PM
I also meant to say that when I went to West Africa I saw people smiling through hardship and conditions unknown in Britain. People need to get a grip and realise how fortunate they are! It's insulting all this self pity and moaning in Britain.

lefty24
Feb 21st, 2012, 05:03 PM
Cause you weren't outgoing? :eek:

yup, it was a bit ridiculous.
they thought something was wrong with me because I didn't want to talk to them and hid behind my mom. :o
I'm a lot more outgoing now but I can still get socially awkward which can also be perceived as a mental illness.

AliceMariaRenka
Feb 21st, 2012, 05:13 PM
:yup, it was a bit ridiculous.
they thought something was wrong with me because I didn't want to talk to them and hid behind my mom. :o
I'm a lot more outgoing now but I can still get socially awkward which can also be perceived as a mental illness.

You are not mentally I'll. There always have been and always will be people who can be shy. What is dreadful are those people who said what they said about you. They are the problem. Just be yourself and don't worry about it! There are people who will like and appreciate you for who you are :wavey: :hug:

edificio
Feb 21st, 2012, 09:30 PM

This term has been used to describe depression that is not deemed clinical depression (episodic) for years.

--

Maybe mood disorder is less inflammatory than mentally ill. I don't know. But I hope it doesn't make people avoid going to see a therapist in order to avoid the label of mentally ill. Also, all the buck up, you should be grateful, etc., kind of talk, is not helpful to people suffering with depression.