PDA

View Full Version : Russell Crowe's racist insult lead to punch-up

CHOCO
Nov 16th, 2002, 03:35 PM
Crowe's racist insult lead to punch-up
By Christine Sams, Eddie Fitzmaurice and Jim O'Rourke
November 17 2002
The Sun-Herald

http://www.smh.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1017206289231_2002/04/07/ent_russcrowe8.jpg
Fellow diners at a London restaurant say Russell Crowe's behaviour was "despicable".

Actor Russell Crowe's altercation in a London restaurant started after he made racist remarks about the New Zealand Warriors rugby league team, it was claimed yesterday.

And the Sydney-based Oscar winner faced more trouble last night after allegations from a fellow guest at the Japanese eatery that his behaviour had been "despicable".

Georgie Calder, 21, claimed the star had been acting "like a total and utter pig" moments before violence erupted at the trendy Zuma Japanese restaurant last week.

Crowe, an ardent supporter of South Sydney rugby league club, described the Warriors as "a bunch of coconuts" or "darkies", according to The New Zealand Herald.

"It was about the skin tone, he was calling them coconuts or darkies," an insider told the Auckland-based newspaper.

Crowe's comments reportedly angered Eric Watson, the millionaire owner of the grand finalist Warriors, and led to the punch-up between the two.

The insider said one of the women at Crowe's table began to cry after his comments, and Watson asked Crowe why he was behaving so irrationally.

"[Watson] left the table to go to the bathroom and while he was there, Crowe confronted him," the insider said.

"From what I can figure out, Eric defended himself well, but the fight was broken up by one of Russell's minders."

After the men were separated, Crowe was confronted by a distressed woman, who clutched at his cheeks.

She has been revealed as Francesca Guise, a New Zealand-born actress who has been in Britain for several months searching for her 15 minutes of fame.

Crowe, 38, was questioned by police after trading blows with Watson on Tuesday night, but will not face charges.

Meanwhile Miss Calder, daughter of British record producer Tony Calder and former model Karen Richardson, yesterday told London's Daily Mail the brawl followed a night of appalling behaviour from Crowe.

She told the newspaper how the actor had approached her table after their eyes met across the crowded restaurant in a crude attempt to seduce her.

After introducing himself, Miss Calder claimed, Crowe suddenly kissed her and licked her face.

She claimed she tried to push him away, but the Gladiator star asked if she would like to go back to his hotel room. "He was utterly revolting," she said. "He was acting like he owned the place and everyone in it - including me."

Describing Crowe's dishevelled appearance, Miss Calder said: "He was wearing this crusty old shirt and trousers that he hadn't appeared to have changed for several days - and he smelt."

It has emerged that Watson, and companions including Guise, were invited on to Crowe's table by the actor, and exchanged pleasantries before the arguments began.

What was said between Crowe and Watson inside the men's toilets at Zuma is anybody's guess, but the actor came off the worse for wear.

The Warriors' owner regularly trains with Kevin Barry, the coach of New Zealand's heavyweight boxing star David Tua.

Crowe has just completed filming Peter Weir's Master And Commander in Mexico.

Mercury Rising
Nov 16th, 2002, 04:13 PM
http://www.jamezbrown.com/mysmilies/contrib/ed/smileeek.gif

Crazy Canuck
Nov 16th, 2002, 05:14 PM
So did he actually say any of this, or is this all heresay from a tabloid? I'm not sure what is considered a reputable newspaper down there or not.

I'm not defending him in the least - as he's done obnoxious things before lol - but I don't want to jump all over him and throw out labels, that he might not deserve.

CHOCO
Nov 16th, 2002, 05:37 PM
Crowe, an ardent supporter of South Sydney rugby league club, described the Warriors as "a bunch of coconuts" or "darkies", according to The New Zealand Herald.

"It was about the skin tone, he was calling them coconuts or darkies," an insider told the Auckland-based newspaper.

I would think the Herald is a very reputable paper in New Zealand.

CHOCO
Nov 17th, 2002, 02:11 AM
:)

CHOCO
Nov 17th, 2002, 02:19 AM
http://www.thesundaymail.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,219883,00.jpg
NOT AGAIN: Russell Crowe has let drink drag him into another public fight

A jerk called Crowe
BRUCE WILSON
17nov02

RUSSELL Crowe's reputation as a fully paid up jerk was underlined yesterday when it became clear he seriously lost the fight he picked in a London Japanese bar and restaurant last week.

The encounter with Kiwi businessman Eric Watson left Crowe with a bruised forehead and a silly look. All witnesses at Zuma, a mock-flash place that is this week's eatery that charges $A120 for an average meal, told investigating police Crowe had started the fight.

Mr Watson apparently finished it after Crowe once again made a nuisance of himself. The fight was short and sharp, witnesses said. Mr Watson could not be found to give his account of how the fight started.

However, eye-witnesses said Crowe had made improper suggestions at the bar to a woman with Mr Watson. The fight is said to have occurred in the small corridor outside the restaurant's lavatories.

When it first broke out at the bar, TV soap actor Ross Kemp intervened.

Zuma, close to Harrods department store, has become a hang-out of celebrities.

Police questioned those involved in the fight but made no charges.

Crowe, wearing a bouffant-style pony-tail and chain-smoking, has been drinking heavily around London, according to gossip columns. This latest escapade has again had him listed with confirmed hell-raisers (or trouble-makers) Peter O'Toole, Richard Harris and Oliver Reed.

However, in a devastating profile of Crowe, the Guardian newspaper recalled an on-site episode in which Reed roared at Crowe to come out and fight while Crowe hid in his caravan. Columnist Julie Burchill, writing of Crowe's most famous role in Gladiator, said: "All he's got in common with Maximus, frankly, is that they both look good in a skirt."

She quoted Richard Burton as saying: "All actors are gay. What real man would want to spend all day in makeup, dressing up? That's why we drink."

Crowe's history as a jerk was lovingly listed by The Sun, the nation's largest-selling daily, when it recalled brawl after brawl he had been involved in over the years. It detected no victories.

The jury, though, remains out on him. Many see him as a wild inheritor of a wild tradition Errol Flynn, Marlon Brando, Robert Mitchum . . . it is a long list. Critics of his personal life also noted there was evidence he could act, although that reputation is also dropping in movie circles.

These say he does not have real acting credentials yet and, besides, a jerk is a jerk is a jerk.

Jordan.
Nov 17th, 2002, 02:33 AM
:o

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 17th, 2002, 02:47 AM
Of course, he can act. He's an excellent actor.

He may well be a jerk, but that is an entirely separate issue. Why run the two issues together?

kazzmazz
Nov 17th, 2002, 02:54 AM
Crowe, wearing a bouffant-style pony-tail
:o

Ross Kemp...isn't that Grant Mitchell from Eastenders?? :D

DiZZiA
Nov 17th, 2002, 12:57 PM
He is a complete MORON!!!

He really thinks he rules the world after winning some acting awards.... I was so glad the Acadmey Awards committee remain conscious to rip his chances off to take the Best Actor Award twice in a row!!!! To honour that kind of guy with an award, you gotta be joking!!

I would like him to keep behaving in this way so that more people will dislike him!!!

JonBcn
Nov 17th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Crowe, wearing a bouffant-style pony-tail

I'm sorry, but any way you look at it, thats a mullet.

Iconoclast
Nov 17th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Too much Romper Stomper, too little Gladiator.

Sam L
Nov 18th, 2002, 07:56 AM
To think he used to be favourite actor.. pfft! :rolleyes:

Crazy Canuck
Nov 18th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Critics of his personal life also noted there was evidence he could act, although that reputation is also dropping in movie circles.

These say he does not have real acting credentials yet and, besides, a jerk is a jerk is a jerk.

He doesn't have an REAL acting credentials? I suppose I will have to forgive them for somehow forgetting his performances in the Insider, Gladiator, and a Beautiful Mind.

Being a bigot, if that the case, doesn't take that away from him.

And choco - I DID read that part of the article, but hearing that from an "insider" is still heresay.