PDA

View Full Version : Cycling or Jogging?

Shadowcat
Feb 10th, 2012, 07:33 AM
I'm torn between this two but I found that jogging/running causes me too sweat more compared to cycling. Which one do you prefer? In terms of burning calories, fats and better for your body, less strain.

ranfurly
Feb 10th, 2012, 07:36 AM
I enjoy Cycling.

Just not the sweaty bum crack from it though!

I can cycle for 3-4 hours, running, give me 15 minutes and I get sharp pains in my achillies.

Utautai
Feb 10th, 2012, 07:52 AM
A little bit of both?
Or even try Long Distance Walking and Swimming?
Change it up every now and then to make it less boring plus it gives yourself more options so you will stick to it. :)

Sam L
Feb 10th, 2012, 08:26 AM
To be honest, I think cycling can be dangerous. Depends where you cycle and whether there are safe roads.

I also don't like how uncomfortable the seats get but that could just be me.

I like jogging so much better.

Pops Maellard
Feb 10th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Jogging is harder but you feel like you're getting better exercise :yeah:.

Reptilia
Feb 10th, 2012, 08:45 AM
pies

nevetssllim
Feb 10th, 2012, 08:45 AM
I used to really enjoy running but my Achilles just can't really take it.

Sam L
Feb 10th, 2012, 09:56 AM
I used to really enjoy running but my Achilles just can't really take it.

Have you tried these?

http://www.vibramfivefingers.it/images/sprint/img1-large.jpg

I used to have all sorts of problems before I wore these.

ElusiveChanteuse
Feb 10th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Prefer cycling for sure but jogging is more effective.:oh:

Super Dave
Feb 10th, 2012, 01:30 PM
I hate riding a bike; no matter where I put the seat it hurts my prostate. #tmi #oldman

I prefer a brisk walk or walk/jog combo. If anything. http://www.realchristiansingles.com/images/smiles/old_man_SMILEY.gif

Mynarco
Feb 10th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Jogging >>>>>>>> Cycling. I am not a good cyclist

WowWow
Feb 10th, 2012, 01:50 PM
It's a different set of muscles for each, so both.

bulava
Feb 10th, 2012, 02:01 PM
I used to jog, now I'm cycling. IMO, former suits for everyone but latter is mostly advised for young/middle age folks. Anyway, my vote for cycling because of the 'thrill' factor :)

@Jogging >>>>>>>> Cycling: Not necessarily true. I mean, it depends on case to case basis. Also, working out on a treadmill isn't real jogging.

Dominic
Feb 10th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Jogging by a mile :lol:

Calvin M.
Feb 10th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Definitely running. It's my thing. And it keeps my weight in check.

Have you tried these?

I've seen them. How are they on non-flat surfaces/rough terrain? Do they contain shock absorbers?

Ferg
Feb 10th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Used to be a cyclist than actually tried jogging and I love it. I just feel like I've gotten a better workout afterwards, I love feeling tired, and after just a few weeks of doing two 10km runs a week my fitness has improved amazingly, it takes a lot to get me to tire during tennis matches these days, something I didnt find with the cycling.

The Witch-king
Feb 10th, 2012, 05:04 PM
I don't like stationary bikes, I'd say I prefer running on a treadmill to that, but I prefer cycling outside to jogging because it's more fun and you can rest.

Also I think cycling is better on the joints.

nevetssllim
Feb 20th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Have you tried these?

What are they? I can't see the photo for some reason.

Shadowcat
Feb 20th, 2012, 09:36 AM

If I remember correctly, it's something like this

http://www.everymantri.com/.a/6a00d83451b18a69e20120a5964928970b-500wi

Sam L
Feb 20th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Definitely running. It's my thing. And it keeps my weight in check.

I've seen them. How are they on non-flat surfaces/rough terrain? Do they contain shock absorbers?

They're bad on rough terrain in a sense that you feel everything under your feet. Sure you can run a bit on it but not all the way. I run around my suburbs on the footpath which is flat but hilly - some non-flat surfaces - which are ok. Or in a field on grass. Of course they don't have shock absorbers. It's literally like running barefoot.

Sam L
Feb 20th, 2012, 09:40 AM

If I remember correctly, it's something like this

http://www.everymantri.com/.a/6a00d83451b18a69e20120a5964928970b-500wi

Yes Vibram Five fingers. But the above more newer versions. I got mine years ago and they're very minimal. Like this:

http://www.trendspotting.com.au/uploads/Image/vibram1.jpeg

Running barefoot is very different to running with sneakers. I can't run with sneakers anymore they hurt my knees and feet. The way you strike the ground is so different running with these.

nevetssllim
Feb 20th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Never seen them before so thanks for the recommendation. :yeah: But yeah - a good running shoe is a necessity, even if it's just for a 20-minute plod around the park. I had a pair of Adidas shoes (Adidas supernova, I think) and they completely chopped up my feet.

Sam L
Feb 20th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Never seen them before so thanks for the recommendation. :yeah: But yeah - a good running shoe is a necessity, even if it's just for a 20-minute plod around the park. I had a pair of Adidas shoes (Adidas supernova, I think) and they completely chopped up my feet.

I would try these before buying any new pair of shoes. I don't know how much they are now but I bought mine a couple of years ago and it was cheaper than an average pair of running shoes. You can wash them and they last a long time. They've lasted me longer than any pair of running shoes. Of course, I don't wear them when I'm going out and they're strictly for running but still it's pretty good.

Yoncé
Feb 20th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Professional eating.

But seriously, jogging. I truly despise cyclist. Especially the old overweight ones that think they're Lance Armstrong and persist in wearing Lycra and riding bikes more expensive than their cars :help:

Jogging will improve your fitness better as well and its a more overall work out. Rather than getting slightly fit cycling but also getting the thunder thighs that come with it.

Shadowcat
Feb 20th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Yes Vibram Five fingers. But the above more newer versions. I got mine years ago and they're very minimal. Like this:

http://www.trendspotting.com.au/uploads/Image/vibram1.jpeg

Running barefoot is very different to running with sneakers. I can't run with sneakers anymore they hurt my knees and feet. The way you strike the ground is so different running with these.

Does your feet get any protection from wearing these? And does your feet hurt?

Sam L
Feb 20th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Does your feet get any protection from wearing these? And does your feet hurt?
No protection. Protection from what? I used to wear soles that were almost like 2 inches thick. That made me hurt.

You have to, of course, get used to it like any other footwear but after that it doesn't hurt at all!

Shadowcat
Feb 20th, 2012, 10:51 AM
No protection. Protection from what? I used to wear soles that were almost like 2 inches thick. That made me hurt.

You have to, of course, get used to it like any other footwear but after that it doesn't hurt at all!

It just looks really thin and you could step on rocks or sharp stones.

Calvin M.
Feb 27th, 2012, 05:09 AM
They're bad on rough terrain in a sense that you feel everything under your feet. Sure you can run a bit on it but not all the way. I run around my suburbs on the footpath which is flat but hilly - some non-flat surfaces - which are ok. Or in a field on grass. Of course they don't have shock absorbers. It's literally like running barefoot.

Thanks. Just curious: if they don't have shock absorbers what's the benefit? I'm asking because if that is the case, shouldn't I just run barefoot? It would save me at least $100.

Sam L
Feb 27th, 2012, 08:19 AM
It just looks really thin and you could step on rocks or sharp stones.

Unless you're running in the bush, this shouldn't be a problem. I run in the suburbs and it's fine.

Thanks. Just curious: if they don't have shock absorbers what's the benefit? I'm asking because if that is the case, shouldn't I just run barefoot? It would save me at least $100.

Well if you're running barefoot and you step on glass or stones you will get cut. This protects you from it. I think that's worth the money. But it is running barefoot. It's meant to be that way.

pov
Feb 27th, 2012, 03:15 PM
I cycle for fun. I run for exercise.