PDA

View Full Version : What is your favourite American accent?

ToopsTame
Feb 9th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Which form of English in America do you like best?

Mary Cherry.
Feb 9th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Hillbilly.

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxk3nr8DBc1r0ddo9o1_250.gif

delicatecutter
Feb 9th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Mine. Which is no accent. Pure American English. :hearts:

Super Dave
Feb 9th, 2012, 04:50 PM

Same here.

ToopsTame
Feb 9th, 2012, 04:57 PM

Same here.

There is no such thing as no accent. ;) Every variety of English is spoken in some accent. You might be thinking of a news-anchor style Midwestern accent.

Novichok
Feb 9th, 2012, 04:57 PM

There is no such thing.

Novichok
Feb 9th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Anyway Southern accents>>>>>>

Especially Louisiana. :hearts:

Mary Cherry.
I'm guessing they just mean the American version of RP.

Novichok
I'm guessing they just mean the American version of RP.

We don't have that. :lol:

Mary Cherry.
Feb 9th, 2012, 05:03 PM
We don't have that. :lol:

But Wikipedia says you do :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_American

Novichok
Feb 9th, 2012, 05:04 PM
But Wikipedia says you do :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_American

I thought RP is a prestige dialect. General American carries little, if any, prestige.

Mary Cherry.
Feb 9th, 2012, 05:07 PM
From what I understand (meaning what they taught us in school), RP is just the standard English accent that's you mostly hear in the south, not the overly posh one. Newsreaders speak RP, for example.

Super Dave
There is no such thing as no accent. ;) Every variety of English is spoken in some accent. You might be thinking of a news-anchor style Midwestern accent.

Basically, yes. :)

NyCPsU
Love my New York accent. :hearts:

ToopsTame
Feb 9th, 2012, 05:14 PM
I thought RP is a prestige dialect. General American carries little, if any, prestige.

I agree. Wikipedia compares it to RP but I don't think it's a good comparison. Barely anyone speaks RP outside a very narrow group of people, it's more an academic standard than anything else, a vestige of the idea of Queen's English. The Midwestern accent is actually the natural accent of a large number of Americans and it's become the standard by popular choice (probably because it's relatively neutral and easiest to understand by speakers of other accents). RP is more of a top-down standard, Midwestern a bottom up one.

njnetswill
Feb 9th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Apparently in some places marry, merry, and Mary are all pronounced the same way. :unsure:

I grew up pronouncing them three different ways, but people in California definitely pronounce Mary and marry the same way.

WozLolz
Feb 9th, 2012, 05:43 PM
New England, hands down. I love it. :hearts: Whenever I hear someone with a big one, I always think, "Are you being serious;)?" It's fantastic. :worship:

I also enjoy the Brooklyn accent.:hearts: Not all New York accents are the same. Long Island, for instance...is a little annoying when really done up. But Brooklyn is hot. A little Jersey accent never hurt anyone either. :hearts: Love it.

I despise Southern accents, mainly because of the people speaking them and their likely conservative idiocy. (Yes, I prejudge). The upper midwest accents are abhorrent, as well (except in the movie "Fargo." That was great!) The Philadelphia accents where they mangle their O's anger me. Like seriously, have you ever heard them say "home" or "phone"? Or "phone home." :fiery:

NyCPsU
Feb 9th, 2012, 05:51 PM
New England, hands down. I love it. :hearts: Whenever I hear someone with a big one, I always think, "Are you being serious;)?" It's fantastic. :worship:

I also enjoy the Brooklyn accent.:hearts: Not all New York accents are the same. Long Island, for instance...is a little annoying when really done up. But Brooklyn is hot. A little Jersey accent never hurt anyone either. :hearts: Love it.

I despise Southern accents, mainly because of the people speaking them and their likely conservative idiocy. (Yes, I prejudge). The upper midwest accents are abhorrent, as well (except in the movie "Fargo." That was great!) The Philadelphia accents where they mangle their O's anger me. Like seriously, have you ever heard them say "home" or "phone"? Or "phone home." :fiery:

Truth about differences in NY accents. I have a Brooklyn/Staten Island one.

Philly accents are so odd. The way they say home and "done homework" instead of "done with my homework" kills me. :lol:

pov
Feb 9th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Which form of English in America do you like best?
The first example you give is not of a New England accent. It is of an accent from certain regions in Massachusetts.

There is no such thing as a "New England accent". New England is made up of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut. And the accent of a typical Vermonter is helluva different to the accent of someone from Maine, Connecticut, etc,

Vartan
Feb 9th, 2012, 06:26 PM
New York, just because I live here,

but I make fun of people with the accent all the time.

WATAH :hysteric:

debopero
Feb 9th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Apparently in some places marry, merry, and Mary are all pronounced the same way. :unsure:

I grew up pronouncing them three different ways, but people in California definitely pronounce Mary and marry the same way.

I pronounce them all the same too :lol: .

Vartan
Feb 9th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Marry and Mary are pronounced the same way... except for y in the end a little bit.

NyCPsU
Feb 9th, 2012, 06:31 PM
I say them differently for sure. Marry is more like "mah-ry" Mary sounds like "mare-y". If that makes sense. :lol:

delicatecutter
Feb 9th, 2012, 06:38 PM
I pronounce them all the same too :lol: .

Me too. :lol:

njnetswill
Feb 9th, 2012, 06:48 PM
I say them differently for sure. Marry is more like "mah-ry" Mary sounds like "mare-y". If that makes sense. :lol:

Exactly. I grew up in NJ and that's how I learned to say those words. Live in CA now and people here say both with the more nasal "mare-y".

Novichok
Feb 9th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Marry and Mary are pronounced the same way... except for y in the end a little bit.

I have a noticeable vowel difference between "marry" and "Mary." I pronounce "Mary" and "merry" the same though.

dsanders06
Feb 9th, 2012, 07:07 PM
I love the North/South Carolina accent :hearts: Don't know what category that fits into.

On this topic, why the hell do you guys pronounce "Craig" and "Greg" the same way? :lol: Or atleast it sounds like you pronounce it the same to my ears.

Novichok
Feb 9th, 2012, 07:09 PM
On this topic, why the hell do you guys pronounce "Craig" and "Greg" the same way? :lol: Or atleast it sounds like you pronounce it the same to my ears.

I've never heard anyone do that. :lol:

Super Dave
Feb 9th, 2012, 07:13 PM

I've never heard anyone do that. :lol:

Neither have I, but here's one to confuse you more:

http://mlblogspinstripebirthdays.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/yanks-craig_-nettles-2_.jpg

Stamp Paid
Feb 9th, 2012, 07:31 PM
A black man from New Orleans :drool:

Mynarco
Feb 9th, 2012, 07:31 PM
What is Tina Fey's accent? Hers.

Mary Cherry.
Feb 9th, 2012, 07:34 PM

THIS. I've never understood it. Although I always thought they pronounced it "Creg" :lol:

Novichok
Feb 9th, 2012, 07:46 PM
THIS. I've never understood it. Although I always thought they pronounced it "Creg" :lol:

No they are definitely not pronounced the same. They place of articulation in the mouth is the same. But one is voiced (vocal folds vibrating) and the other is voiceless.

ToopsTame
Feb 9th, 2012, 08:10 PM
I think they mean that Craig and Greg rhyme in American accents, whereas in Brit accents they sound like Crayg and Greg. Same with caught and cot. They sound the same in most American accents but sound different in many Brit accents.

Novichok
Feb 9th, 2012, 08:20 PM
I think they mean that Craig and Greg rhyme in American accents, whereas in Brit accents they sound like Crayg and Greg. Same with caught and cot. They sound the same in most American accents but sound different in many Brit accents.

Oh. I misinterpreted that badly. :tape:

I guess it's just a case of spelling not matching up with pronunciation. American English has at least 15 distinct vowel sounds (I think British English has more) but there are only 5 letters in the alphabet that refer to vowels.

dsanders06
Feb 9th, 2012, 08:24 PM

Yup. It took me and my brother years to work out whether the guy in Malcolm in the Middle was called Craig, Greg or Creg :sobbing:

V-MAC
Feb 9th, 2012, 08:40 PM
"a may-jor motion pick-cha" :hearts:

Rafito.
Feb 9th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Well from what I have heard personally the people from Louisiana so the deep south :inlove:

njnetswill
Feb 9th, 2012, 09:52 PM
c8blqMALnA8

A sampler :p

ToopsTame
Feb 9th, 2012, 10:34 PM
and this is how American accents can sound to foreigners :p
q-cAnFbEXY0

Stamp Paid
Feb 9th, 2012, 10:39 PM
q-cAnFbEXY0:lol::lol: thats cute.

ToopsTame
Feb 9th, 2012, 10:43 PM
The first example you give is not of a New England accent. It is of an accent from certain regions in Massachusetts.

There is no such thing as a "New England accent". New England is made up of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut. And the accent of a typical Vermonter is helluva different to the accent of someone from Maine, Connecticut, etc,

I know that's a particular type of Boston accent. There are only 10 poll choices though. I maybe should've written North Eastern New England (Coastal Maine, Mass and NH) to be more precise. The other groupings are broad too. There definitely more than just two types of Southern accents.

Lord Choc Ice
Feb 9th, 2012, 10:46 PM
New York is amazing :lol:.

Fran Drescher :hearts:.

Inger67
Feb 9th, 2012, 10:59 PM
q-cAnFbEXY0

Whaaaaat? :lol: Because we don't annunciate words? That's so funny. I'm from Michigan and I'm not sure what kind of accent I would fall under. I'm not from the Upper Peninsula so I don't have the Canadian Northern Accent that some people from Michigan have.

ToopsTame
Feb 9th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Whaaaaat? :lol: Because we don't annunciate words? That's so funny. I'm from Michigan and I'm not sure what kind of accent I would fall under. I'm not from the Upper Peninsula so I don't have the Canadian Northern Accent that some people from Michigan have.

Try this handy quiz :p http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have

I've met people from the Detroit area and I thought they had an upper North type accent similar to Chicagoans. Are you part of the Northern Cities Vowel Shift?
9UoJ1-ZGb1w

ElusiveChanteuse
Feb 10th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Same as the other thread, based oon the name, Deep South perhaps.:cheer:

McPie
Feb 10th, 2012, 02:45 PM
UKznVsNsAG0

delicatecutter
Feb 10th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Kristen Bell? :p

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 10th, 2012, 03:26 PM
How about Boston accents. They are very unique :lol:

delicatecutter
Feb 10th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Boston Rahb. :hearts:

ToopsTame
Feb 11th, 2012, 12:08 AM
This woman has a Midwest accent, in English at least ;)
xKR3AOyJrYU

Lord Choc Ice
Feb 11th, 2012, 12:14 AM
OMG :haha:

82SmSgCv-Js

edificio
Feb 11th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Brian Williams is from New Jersey.

Anyway, this list does not cover the range, nor is it correct.

I don't love a Midwestern accent, especially since it seems to revolve around talking through your nose.

Some Louisiana accents (the softer ones) are nice, comforting.

edificio
Feb 11th, 2012, 12:20 AM
This woman has a Midwest accent, in English at least ;)
xKR3AOyJrYU

No. I don't know what her accent is with all the playing around she's doing. :eek:

ToopsTame
Feb 11th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Brian Williams is from New Jersey.

But he reads the news in a standard Midwestern accent.

Anyway, this list does not cover the range, nor is it correct.
There are only 10 options in the poll, of course it doesn't cover every accent in the US. I'm not a native English speaker so I might've got something wrong. Let me know which accents are different from the way posted.

ToopsTame
Feb 11th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Some more accents from the Boroughs
1hrA9-6o4tI

edificio
Feb 11th, 2012, 12:37 AM
But he reads the news in a standard Midwestern accent.

There are only 10 options in the poll, of course it doesn't cover every accent in the US. Explain which ones are incorrect :)

For example, not all of New England does the "pahk the cah" thing. Not even all of Mass. speaks like that, nevermind, RI, Maine, NH, and VT.

ToopsTame
Feb 11th, 2012, 12:43 AM
For example, not all of New England does the "pahk the cah" thing. Not even all of Mass. speaks like that, nevermind, RI, Maine, NH, and VT.

I know ;)

I know that's a particular type of Boston accent. There are only 10 poll choices though. I maybe should've written North Eastern New England (Coastal Maine, Mass and NH) to be more precise. The other groupings are broad too. There definitely more than just two types of Southern accents.

McPie
Feb 11th, 2012, 03:39 AM
Kristen Bell? :p

well, Penn is Okay :p but if I use Ed as prototype, then I have to do Londoner :lol:

Barrie_Dude
Feb 11th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Southern and Texican

WowWow
Feb 11th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Bwooklyn

Barrie_Dude
Feb 11th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Nice thread, but there are ather differences including Boston and NYC who each have a distinct accent. Then there are the hispanic influences in NYC. Hispanic influences in Chicago (Chicanos) Cuban/hispanic in South Florida as well as Carribean. Hispanic in the Southwest (TX, Arizona, SoCal, NM, Et All). There are still Creole and Cajun (mixture of French, Spanish) in New Orleans.

Pump-it-UP
Feb 12th, 2012, 11:45 AM
The Southie Boston accent = :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: It's annoying though when people assume that we ALL talk like that, because 80% of us actually don't. :lol:

How they speak:
XtR68AvwrCw

What they say:
FEm0t5Wc11U

McPie
Feb 12th, 2012, 11:56 AM
I wanna do something like these :lol:

Y5mai6z1CYE

zmEkWsgEN_E

but today I try to do this :p
pq0dcEUOZw8

jrm
Feb 12th, 2012, 12:46 PM
southern :hearts:

kwilliams
Feb 12th, 2012, 02:24 PM
That whole Dakota thing from Bobby's World and Fargo (I know. Bobby's World and Fargo are two very different examples) "Oh, gee, Bobby, dontchyanno".

I also love the saccharine lilts of southern belles and the more dated southern accents that you hear in movies...the kind of accents that make me want to say "Chaarrleston"

I hate the way American news anchors/reporters sound. It's either robotic or horribly deep and booming. I also hate that jarring, deep and booming voice that many politicians adopt to sound authoritarian.

Mary Carillo's accent is also horrible.

Valley girl accents are amazing but only because they're so easy to make fun of.

the jamierbelyea
Feb 12th, 2012, 06:11 PM
The Southie Boston accent = :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: It's annoying though when people assume that we ALL talk like that, because 80% of us actually don't. :lol:

How they speak:
XtR68AvwrCw

What they say:
FEm0t5Wc11U

Nothing makes me cringe more than a Southie townie coming to my bar ordering , haha HATE IT, BUT I am a Bostonian haha.

I have a Southern Georgian accent as that's where my cousins live and I was obsessed with them growing up and tried to talk like them, and it stuck and it goes in and out, but I still have that little twang haha

hablo
Feb 12th, 2012, 06:17 PM
None. Just the Canadian kind (except the Newfies' one). :p

Barrie_Dude
Feb 12th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Nothing makes me cringe more than a Southie townie coming to my bar ordering , haha HATE IT, BUT I am a Bostonian haha.

I have a Southern Georgian accent as that's where my cousins live and I was obsessed with them growing up and tried to talk like them, and it stuck and it goes in and out, but I still have that little twang haha
Boston babes! :worship:

WowWow
Feb 12th, 2012, 07:29 PM
That whole Dakota thing from Bobby's World and Fargo (I know. Bobby's World and Fargo are two very different examples) "Oh, gee, Bobby, dontchyanno".

I also love the saccharine lilts of southern belles and the more dated southern accents that you hear in movies...the kind of accents that make me want to say "Chaarrleston"

I hate the way American news anchors/reporters sound. It's either robotic or horribly deep and booming. I also hate that jarring, deep and booming voice that many politicians adopt to sound authoritarian.

Mary Carillo's accent is also horrible.

Valley girl accents are amazing but only because they're so easy to make fun of.

Take that back lol

dAddkfpFNBs
:hearts:

kwilliams
Feb 14th, 2012, 01:47 PM
^ I did think of how he was an exception to the rule while I was writing that but I knew that it goes without saying that he's the exception! I'll always be fine listening to (or looking at) him and Don Lemon.

young_gunner913
Feb 16th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Southern accents are great, very charming but no matter who has it, they'll always be treated like they're retarded. East Coast accents are somewhat sickening. It goes with my theory that the east coast is not fully civilized yet and they are all cave people. Mid-Western accents are just annoying.

In the western states, we don't really have accents. We just use different slang words. :shrug: