PDA

View Full Version : Who would you rather see make decisions on the issues important to you?

pov
Feb 9th, 2012, 12:24 AM
Given the choice would you choose the courts or the voting public?

delicatecutter
Feb 9th, 2012, 01:08 AM
The public voters have no business voting on minorities' civil rights.

Helen Lawson
Feb 9th, 2012, 01:15 AM
Civil rights should not be on the ballot. If you put slavery on the ballot, it would not pass, but it would get a lot of votes, same with women voting.

pov
Feb 9th, 2012, 06:11 PM
boimp.

So . . to the 2 posters responding so far . .are you okay with it when a court's decision isn't the one you'd like?

Helen Lawson
Feb 10th, 2012, 01:08 AM
I don't like it, but I trust courts more than the public, at least on civil rights. What other issues are there you're interested in?

Talula
Feb 10th, 2012, 05:44 AM
I loathe lawyers, judges and courts. You do not get justice but a legal decision under law regardless of how unfair it appears.

However, unfortunately, Helen is right, voters are even less trustworthy. Relying on voters can lead to extremities (Nazi party anyone?) and voters change opinion constantly.

Truth is there is no justice and it's an unfair world. Sorry to be so gloomy!

ranfurly
Feb 10th, 2012, 05:54 AM
The Courts and Judiciary system.

Realistically, that's why they are put in place; to seek the best interests of the people, and to implement these laws, regulations across the realm of society.

Unfortunately, I can't say it works everywhere.

We have a democracy in NZ, It's the fairest of them all. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't, most times, I suck it up.

Giving too much power to people, they abuse it, and the system.

Having referendums are a great tool, but the more a government uses one, the less confident people become in the government.

The Witch-king
Feb 10th, 2012, 07:07 AM
this poll makes no sense.
voted for it varies