PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on Where to Travel in the US?

King Aaron
Feb 7th, 2012, 10:16 PM
:wavey:

I'll be going on a Work and Travel program to the US at the end of the month and will be traveling around the mid of June to early July, for about 3 weeks. I was wondering if any of you can suggest interesting or must-go places to travel to? :) :confused:

I'm definitely going to New York. I'm thinking of going to Orlando for Disneyworld, and maybe the other parks there. Since it's summer, I think Miami would be a nice place to go to as well. Are there any other places I should go to?

I've heard that San Francisco and Boston are good places to go to. What is there to see there? :) I'm also thinking of going to the Grand Canyon. Is that worth going?

Any suggestions or tips are more than welcome. :) Thanks in advance people. :D

Oh, and I'll be working in Destin, Florida.

njnetswill
Feb 7th, 2012, 11:23 PM
The island of Kauai in Hawaii is the most beautiful part of the US I've been to, but it's kind of out of the way.

I also recommend Bryce Canyon National Park in Utah for some stunning scenery.

As for cities, nothing beats NYC. New Yorkers are friendlier than their reputation as well.

Helen Lawson
Feb 7th, 2012, 11:27 PM
What do you like to do, shopping and entertainment, or outdoor stuff, etc.? There's a lot to do, but a lot of different places depending on your interests. Destin is a shithole.

ptkten
Feb 7th, 2012, 11:33 PM
The easiest and best trip, in my opinion, is to do the Northeastern swing through Boston, New York, Philadelphia, and Washington, DC. It's cheap and easy to travel between the cities and there's more history, downtown vibrancy, and culture in these cities anywhere other than Chicago and San Francisco in the U.S and it's such a compact region.

If you have time after that, I would do the west coast swing. San Francisco is absolutely beautiful then you can choose whether you want to do L.A., Disneyland, the beaches, Las Vegas or the Grand Canyon. The trips between everywhere are much longer out west though.

Miami, New Orleans, and Chicago are great cities as well but in my opinion they're sort of out of the way of other interesting places.

I guess it depends on what you want to do though: relax on the beach, hang out in cities, visit national parks?

King Aaron
Feb 8th, 2012, 09:45 PM
The island of Kauai in Hawaii is the most beautiful part of the US I've been to, but it's kind of out of the way.

I also recommend Bryce Canyon National Park in Utah for some stunning scenery.

As for cities, nothing beats NYC. New Yorkers are friendlier than their reputation as well.
I did think of Hawaii but I think it would be too pricey and yes, a bit out of the way. Thanks. :)

I definitely will go to NYC. :D

What do you like to do, shopping and entertainment, or outdoor stuff, etc.? There's a lot to do, but a lot of different places depending on your interests. Destin is a shithole.
A little of everything? Too be honest I don't really have any particular interest. I wouldn't mind a little of anything and everything.

:lol: Destin...oh well, the traveling is more important than the working.

The easiest and best trip, in my opinion, is to do the Northeastern swing through Boston, New York, Philadelphia, and Washington, DC. It's cheap and easy to travel between the cities and there's more history, downtown vibrancy, and culture in these cities anywhere other than Chicago and San Francisco in the U.S and it's such a compact region.

If you have time after that, I would do the west coast swing. San Francisco is absolutely beautiful then you can choose whether you want to do L.A., Disneyland, the beaches, Las Vegas or the Grand Canyon. The trips between everywhere are much longer out west though.

Miami, New Orleans, and Chicago are great cities as well but in my opinion they're sort of out of the way of other interesting places.

I guess it depends on what you want to do though: relax on the beach, hang out in cities, visit national parks?
Yeah, I think it's better to just visit one coast throughout than to fly across and below but there's just so many places that seem interesting.

For now, I think I might go to Miami and Orlando, then head up to New York (and maybe Boston but I don't think I'll have enough time, I only have 3 weeks to travel) and fly to maybe Pheonix for the Grand Canyon. After it will be San Francisco and I'll try to get a couple of days in LA before flying back home at LAX. I know it'll be costly with the flights and all but I think it's a good mixture of shopping, relaxing, and parks or something, right? :confused:

Are there any must visit attractions in those cities? :confused:

njnetswill
Feb 8th, 2012, 10:34 PM
I would recommend flying to Las Vegas rather than Phoenix. It's closer to the Grand Canyon, if I remember correctly.

Helen Lawson
Feb 9th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Yes, Las Vegas is much closer to the Grand Canyon. Orlando has the parks, Miami is nice and sort of affordable. Miami has cool clubs and beaches and shopping and great food.
NYC and Boston are a blast, but they are pretty expensive, just beware of that. Miami is more reasonable. Fun historic stuff in Boston. Florida has great beaches, even in the Panhandle. Chicago is a very cool city with everything, the people are nice, it's affordable, I would recommend that. I personally thought the Grand Canyon was dull, but you can go to the bottom and camp if that's your thing. Las Vegas is fun and affordable. San Francisco is wonderful, but it's astronomically expensive, LA is not much better. Seattle and Atlanta are fun cities.

bulava
Feb 9th, 2012, 02:16 PM
:wavey:
Are there any other places I should go to?

Is that worth going?

Based on my 15+ years of living experience in the United States, there are so many places to see, enjoy and experience; not even an year and a million dollars would be enough for sure if I take your questions literally. Point is, hand pick on a few states within 3 week time stipulation right from your port of entry (landing). Prepare a good travel plan to make use of your little time in best, also to control your expenses. Note that your mode of travel could impact a lot. I mean, you intend to fly or go by car or train and so on. So it depends. Plus, your mindset matter too. I mean, are you an artist or sportsperson or housewife or doctor and so on to decide on the places. Remember: Every state has its beauty and there are 50 of them spreading across thousands of miles :) So, where are you planning to touchdown?

Calvin M.
Feb 10th, 2012, 02:19 PM
I'd go with quality over quantity. 3 weeks isn't a long time and if you're going to be flying to different cities that means you'll have to continuously endure the airport screenings which will take its toll on the enjoyment of your travels. You know yourself so go to places you like i.e. if you're more urban, then pick the major cities; if you like beaches, stay in FL or go out to Calif. I'd recommend the Grand Canyon (and getting there via Vegas) BUT if you've done the Outback or something similar, it may not be worth the trip. Just don't force yourself to go somewhere just because it's a popular tourist destination. All depends on your sensibilities as a tourist. That being said, I'm glad NYC is on your itinerary! Of course, I'm biased since I live there but it is different from the rest of the country, in more ways than one.

melodynelson
Feb 10th, 2012, 02:33 PM
I've heard Nulle Part is pretty fantastic. Nirgendwo perhaps even better so.

delicatecutter
Feb 10th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Nebraska is lovely this time of year. :hearts:

edificio
Feb 11th, 2012, 12:10 AM
Pacific Northwest. July is a good month for that. Seattle is beautiful, and you can visit the Cascades, the Olympics, and the Olympic Rainforest (Forks, if you are a Twilight fan; there is nothing in Forks, though, except it serves as a way to some lonely beaches:)).

Also, if you are going to be in California, Yosemite is a must, but those months will be crowded with people. :(

Grand Teton National Park is also spectacular, but getting up to Wyoming is a bit out of the way. Great hikes, climbs, etc.

NYC, SF, and maybe Maine are other places I would try to visit if I was coming from elsewhere and had lots of time and money. SF is a beautiful city, and it is a great place for eating. Any kind of food you want, you can find. You could also visit the wine country and sample around. I think LA might have more young, fun things to do though.

ToopsTame
Feb 11th, 2012, 12:28 AM
To agree with what everyone's saying, pick one or two parts of the country, you'll enjoy that more. The country is huge and diverse and you can easily fill up three weeks in a single region. Do you want a mainly urban (shopping, shows, architecture) trip or a mainly outdoors (hiking, camping, biking) trip? For cities, if you like a lot of history and urban culture, do the Northeast swing through New England, NYC, Philly, Baltimore and DC. You can also go through some scenic parts of the North East. Or try the cosmopolitan West coast through Norcal, Yosemite, bay area, LA and San Diego. Great weather (if you don't mind some heat) and good food. The Pacific North West is great for a mix of outdoors stuff and city stuff. Do Portland and Seattle and the forests and mountains nearby. The Grand Canyon is a bit out of the way, the day trips they offer from Las Vegas aren't that good. I recommend spending a few days there at least if you want to get something out of it. The middle of the country is great for outdoors things. Wyoming, Yellowstone, Utah and Colorado are great for that kind of stuff.

My suggestion would be, if you know you want to go to New York for sure, either spend the whole time in the North East or spend half the trip on the West Coast. Multiple cross-country flights won't be worth it.

King Aaron
Feb 12th, 2012, 06:51 PM
I will be traveling with a friend, so I'll need to check with him what he's comfortable with or like to do.

Thanks for the suggestions. :) When I have a sort of clearer picture, I'll come back and ask more questions. But thanks for everything so far. :yeah:

Barrie_Dude
Feb 12th, 2012, 07:55 PM
I used to live in Panama City Beach, about 45 minutes east of Destin. You are within a 5hr drive of New Orleans and need to get there. See the French Quarter, the Garden District. Preservation Hall. Great music and Food there. If you are that close, it is a must see and the drive along the Gulf Coast is pleasent

King Aaron
Feb 14th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Just an update, I might not be working in Destin after all. There is a lot of drama right now regarding my workplace. :tape: :o

Srodgers
Feb 15th, 2012, 01:42 AM
South Padre Island in Texas in beautiful if your looking to go to the beach :hearts: