PDA

View Full Version : Some questions for Amelie fans

disposablehero
Nov 16th, 2002, 03:28 AM
As I understand it, Amelie is wildly popular in France and does well for endorsements. So why is it that more players aren't "out"? Do you think maybe many other countries would be less tolerant than France? Or is it that many of the lower ranked players are openly gay but it is not considered newsworthy as most people haven't heard of them?

It must be the offseason if I have time for personal questions.

Sonja
Nov 18th, 2002, 05:12 PM
I can answer your question from an opinion standpoint only.

I think Amelie is wildly popular in France due to the fact that she's French born and their No. 1 player.

As for the other questions. I guess those players who aren't out are not as comfortable with airing their private life and becoming a focus, due to their sexuality, rather than their tennis game. I'm sure other countries are probably less tolerant than France.

As I'm not a lesbian it's harder for me to answer your questions, however, I'd sure like to hear others' opinions.

griffin
Nov 18th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Sonja actually hit my #1 suspect on the head - internalized homophobia. People tend not to come out to anyone until they've gotten to a certain level of comfort with being gay themselves. Going public? That's a whole other flight of stairs to climb.

A few things to remember or keep in mind about Amelie, too: first, she was wildly popular in France before she came out - France had pretty much already anointed her The Girl Child. She was dealing with a position of relative stength.

Second, she'd previously come out to her family and they'd already pretty much cut off contact with her (fences have since been mended, we're told), so she had less to lose in that sense.

Finally, from what I've heard, the experience was more traumatic than she ever let on in public - that not only was she deeply hurt by Hingis' comments, but that the ensuing poo-storm, and some of the less-charitable public commentary about her was painful. The general public might not have picked up on that, but you can bet your ass the other women on the tour did.

I imagine the exact reasons vary from person to person. Again agreeing with Sonja, I'm sure many of them don't think it's worth the potential distraction from their careers if nothing else.

(the "it's nobody's business" reasoning doesn't wash for me - of course it isn't, but how often do you see straight couples hide the fact that they're married/committed/etc. unless they're shagging someone their not supposed to?)

Momo won't be the last. It may take a while before someone makes a positive acknowledgement rather than just stops hiding, but it will happen. I'm just not willing to bet on when.

griffin
Nov 18th, 2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by disposablehero
Or is it that many of the lower ranked players are openly gay but it is not considered newsworthy as most people haven't heard of them?

They'd be newsworthy to the gay press, I think, and I haven't heard about them there, either.

disposablehero
Nov 19th, 2002, 04:20 AM
OK, thanks.

Underdog
Nov 21st, 2002, 03:45 AM
Can we really refer to Mauresmo as being "out" anymore? I think that's the real question.

griffin
Nov 21st, 2002, 02:39 PM
?

Unless you've heard her suddenly claiming she's fucking boys and it was all a big mistake?

She has stated she'd prefer to keep her relationships a little more private - that's a far cry from pretending they don't exisit.

Sonja
Nov 21st, 2002, 04:29 PM
lmao @ griff - Once you're out, can you go back in? <evil grin>

mauresmofan
Nov 21st, 2002, 07:40 PM
Awww what Amélie has gone back in? Now who will take over from Amélie as the top Lesbo on tour?:lick:

griffin
Nov 21st, 2002, 07:48 PM
Well I know some people I'd like to PUT back in - by force if need be ;)

Ye of little faith, mauresmo fan, for shame! j/k

Momo's queen of the scene and always will be!

Caoimhe
Nov 22nd, 2002, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by griffin

Momo's queen of the scene and always will be!

Here Here!

mauresmofan
Nov 22nd, 2002, 03:06 PM
Griffin,

I am filled to the brim with shame. I must go now to the sacrafical alter of Momosapia :wavey:

mauresmofan
Nov 25th, 2002, 03:38 PM
Well apparently I'm not *pure* so the sacrifice must wait

Sonja
Nov 25th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by mauresmofan
Well apparently I'm not *pure* so the sacrifice must wait

roflmao @ mauresmofan

griffin
Nov 25th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Maybe you already were sacrificed and that's why you're not pure anymore http://216.40.249.192/mysmilies/contrib/ed/spin.gif

Caoimhe
Nov 26th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Ace magazine still isn't in my newsagents!:mad:
You would think Eason's would keep up to date. They still have last months on the shelf!
I want to read the interview with Momo!

mauresmofan
Nov 26th, 2002, 02:30 PM
Caoimhe,

They don't have the magazine on the shelves down here either and I've visited the book centre so many times that the security guard has started following me around - *I think I've made a friend*

Caoimhe
Nov 27th, 2002, 11:44 AM
It is quite annoying isn't it!

Oh well I'm sure it will be in soon.
I just hope it's worth the wait.
In 3 years there have been about 3 interviews with her and most have been just little captions.

mauresmofan
Nov 27th, 2002, 05:02 PM
I'll go check it out tomorrow *wearing my disguise*