PDA

View Full Version : Need help with choosing a school! HELP!

Shadowcat
Jan 31st, 2012, 03:01 AM
Hey guys I appreciate it if you could give your opinions and thought on this. So there is 2 schools available for me. One that is far from my house and one which is near to my house. I get accepted to the further school but I can appeal to the other one until tomorrow. They both offer the same course (nursing) but I'm in a dilemma right now to which one to choose.

First school - Further school (Traveling time is about 1 and 1/2 hour - 2 hours):
Disadvantage - Newer course (opened in 2005 so less experience)
Advantages - More and new facilities/buildings, offers a lot more activities/sports and overall a more bigger school.

Second school - Nearer school (Traveling time about 20-30 minutes) :
Advantage - Older course (opened in 1992, so more experience and more prestigious). A lot of students went there.
Disadvantages - Rundown school, very little activities/sports and also facilities and overall a smaller school.

The first school is one of the top schools in my country overall but the second school is more famous for it's nursing. So which one?!?! :sobbing:

My mum keep insisting for me to choose the nearer school so that it's more convenient for me. I have until tomorrow to decide. :sobbing:

melodynelson
Jan 31st, 2012, 03:05 AM
I'd pick first one. Farther from home, newer facilities, more sports and a top school in the country.

Keegan
Jan 31st, 2012, 03:09 AM
I'd probably also pick the first one. The first one may become renowned for nursing, so you never know what will happen. In terms of the distance that's really up to you, not anyone else.

Inger67
Jan 31st, 2012, 03:27 AM
1.5-2 hours really isn't that much of a distance at all. That's how far away I am from school and some of my friends that live in the same city and go to the same school as I do now go home quite frequently. I don't just because I like being at school better, not because of the distance.

gulzhan
Jan 31st, 2012, 03:35 AM
I'd pick the second one if it's truly top in nursing. It may be just me but I'd concentrate on the main course :o not on the overall activities and sports. But it's just me. I might be totally wrong :)

Shadowcat
Jan 31st, 2012, 03:37 AM
I'd pick the second one if it's truly top in nursing. It may be just me but I'd concentrate on the main course :o not on the overall activities and sports. But it's just me. I might be totally wrong :)

That's exactly what my mum says. :hug:

And no, you're not wrong, it's just your opinion. ;)

Shivank17
Jan 31st, 2012, 04:11 AM
I don't think asking on TF will help Juliana cuz everyone will have different views based upon their comfort.
It depends on what you find comfortable.
If you are interested in sports/activities and don't mind travelling then the further school is good.
But if you are not too much into sports/activities, nearer school is better, will save you a lot of time as well. :)

ranfurly
Jan 31st, 2012, 04:12 AM
Flip a coin.

Problem solved.

Shadowcat
Jan 31st, 2012, 04:17 AM
Flip a coin.

Problem solved.

:crying2:

Kəv.
Jan 31st, 2012, 05:01 AM
I would pick the second one..

Shadowcat
Jan 31st, 2012, 05:08 AM
I don't think asking on TF will help Juliana cuz everyone will have different views based upon their comfort.
It depends on what you find comfortable.
If you are interested in sports/activities and don't mind travelling then the further school is good.
But if you are not too much into sports/activities, nearer school is better, will save you a lot of time as well. :)

The further school offers tennis that's why I wanted to go but the course there is not that good compared to the nearer one.

cowsonice
Jan 31st, 2012, 05:19 AM
Choose whichever one provides better nursing opportunities/jobs/internships/connections.

Sally Struthers
Jan 31st, 2012, 05:48 AM
Pick the cheapest. At the end of the day you'll still be a nurse.

Shivank17
Jan 31st, 2012, 06:55 AM
The further school offers tennis that's why I wanted to go but the course there is not that good compared to the nearer one.

:oh: tbqh, even I would have chosen the further school for tennis. :oh:
But I think you should ask someone who have been to these schools before and look which has a better job placement rate.

duhcity
Jan 31st, 2012, 06:57 AM
2 Hours is not far at all - I say go for it.

Fantasy Hero
Jan 31st, 2012, 07:00 AM
if i were you i'd pick the first. I know that the prestige of an older school is probably a plus for the 2nd choice, but from your words the 1st school is growing and is really likely to pass the 2nd in term of quality in the next years. If you graduate there you might get the more chances in work life. Also, a bigger facility with more alternative courses and probably quite more people would help you feel in a more relaxed place, which also might help for the motivation in the days you want to give it up (and as a uni student i know that feeling is going to happen some day).
what else? oh yeah...2 hours isn't really far from home, but IMO it's a good distance to feel more indipendent. I've been studying away from home since i was 14 and it really helped being more indipendent that 90% of the kids of my age.

Shadowcat
Jan 31st, 2012, 07:04 AM
But the second one offers more job opportunities and the certificate is more recognised. :sobbing: It's just that the first school is better overall but in terms of the course itself, it's not the best.

cowsonice
Jan 31st, 2012, 07:44 AM
In this economy, prestige works wonders when it comes to employment. Prestige => connections => more job opportunities

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jan 31st, 2012, 09:04 AM
But the second one offers more job opportunities and the certificate is more recognised. :sobbing: It's just that the first school is better overall but in terms of the course itself, it's not the best.

Then choose the second one. After all, you should be focused on the course, especially that if you want to be a nurse, you actually have to be qualified and you have to study. And job opportunities should be one of the most important criteria for you.
And 2 hours is a lot. Imagine if you have classes starting at 8, you'd have to get up before 6. Not very pleasant, right?
Definitely the second one.

DragonFlame
Jan 31st, 2012, 10:22 AM
Pick the school further away, the easier it will be for your mum to let you go when you want to stop travelling so long and live closer to the school on your own. :rolls:

Blu€
Jan 31st, 2012, 11:00 AM
I'd go with the second option. But that's because I'm lazy and I could never be bothered to go to school if I had to get ready like 3/4 hours before time. I'd skip so many classes. Hell I lived like 15 minutes away from my university and I used to get in late most of the days.

Shadowcat
Jan 31st, 2012, 11:04 AM
I'd go with the second option. But that's because I'm lazy and I could never be bothered to go to school if I had to get ready like 3/4 hours before time. I'd skip so many classes. Hell I lived like 15 minutes away from my university and I used to get in late most of the days.

Even if the school near you is not as good?

Blu€
Jan 31st, 2012, 11:27 AM
Even if the school near you is not as good?

In my case I didn't have much of an option, but in yours it's closer and the course is better.

matthias
Jan 31st, 2012, 11:28 AM
2nd one, i would never waste so much time each day to go to school and back
there is better stuff in your life to spend your time with

Shadowcat
Jan 31st, 2012, 11:30 AM
In my case I didn't have much of an option, but in yours it's closer and the course is better.

But what about the gangsters bullies? :crying2:

Shadowcat
Jan 31st, 2012, 03:36 PM
If any of you is curious this is the map

Further school: http://www.streetdirectory.com/asia_travel/travel/travel_id_1810/travel_site_10313/#journey:103.84872136332,1.3694715817347%20to%2010 3.77518130527,1.3321637243014/bus
Near school: http://www.streetdirectory.com/#journey:103.84872136332,1.3694715817347%20to%2010 3.8510500204,1.37801811613/all

The differece in distance is pretty obvious.

Melange
Jan 31st, 2012, 03:39 PM
If thats the course you want to do, go for the better one, looks like that is the second option. I guess if you really hate it you could transfer. A lot of the best schools are not new or in great condition. Travel and facilities should not make much difference unless it is very very important to you. After looking at the map, it seems like you take just one bus to get to Ngee Ann, thats really not too bad and you can read on the bus, so I dont think travel is much of an issue.

JustPetko
Jan 31st, 2012, 04:08 PM
I would pick the first one. Distance is not a big problem IMHO.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jan 31st, 2012, 04:11 PM
If I were you I'd take the first one (due to the family issues you have.:oh:)
But if I were to choose, 2nd one for sure.:oh:

Shadowcat
Jan 31st, 2012, 04:12 PM
If thats the course you want to do, go for the better one, looks like that is the second option. I guess if you really hate it you could transfer. A lot of the best schools are not new or in great condition. Travel and facilities should not make much difference unless it is very very important to you. After looking at the map, it seems like you take just one bus to get to Ngee Ann, thats really not too bad and you can read on the bus, so I dont think travel is much of an issue.

Yes it's true you can take one straight bus to go there but usually it is extremely packed in the morning and don't forget of traffic jams. :sobbing:

Shadowcat
Jan 31st, 2012, 04:12 PM
If I were you I'd take the first one (due to the family issues you have.:oh:)
But if I were to choose, 2nd one for sure.:oh:

What family issues? :rolleyes: :p

ElusiveChanteuse
Jan 31st, 2012, 05:06 PM
You know I know.:oh: Good luck.:wavey:

Daruma.
Jan 31st, 2012, 06:58 PM
I'd choose the first one.

LoLex
Jan 31st, 2012, 08:29 PM
Definitely second one. Benefits of the first school are relatively of a lower importance for education.

Shadowcat
Feb 1st, 2012, 12:34 AM
You know I know.:oh: Good luck.:wavey:

:unsure:

Thanks for the good luck. :sobbing:

ArturoAce.
Feb 1st, 2012, 02:54 AM
1st one. Your time there needs to be enjoyable. For a nursing program, I don't think prestige really matters, the instruction won't differ that much, honestly.

Shadowcat
Feb 1st, 2012, 02:58 AM
Thanks everyone for your help. :kiss: But I decided to choose the nearer one because you are going to spend 3-4 years of your life there so you don't want to waste any time travelling. I really hope I make the right decision. :crying2: Have to sacrifice tennis and badminton. :bigcry: Now I will just have to wait for the results.