PDA

View Full Version : Several suggestions for Petra Kvitova

ChagoDoni
Jan 28th, 2012, 02:00 AM
It's painful to watch Petra losing to Sharapova in a match which Petra could have won.

I think Petra lost that match to Sharapova because of some reasons out of the tennis court.

In general,her whole training system needs to be updated.

1. She needs a hitting partner.

She's the most powerful player in WTA now. How to improve her ground strokes and reduce her UE?

I think she should hire a retied ATP player as the hitting partner, who can be more powerful and has more consistency than she has.

Sharapova does this. Petra also needs one.

2. She maybe need a full time mental coach

I heard that she worked with a mental coach before. Obviously, it didn't work very well. She lost her focus during a match all the time.
Now she is rich enough to hire a full-time mental coach who can really solve her problem, which is lack of concentration.

3. More effective fitness training.

To be honest, I think she has too much body fat, which damages her footwork. As a professional athlete, it's unbelievable that one can not be able to reduce the body fat.

How do you guys think?

ChagoDoni
Jan 28th, 2012, 02:33 AM
It was a big disappointment to me, not because of her loss, but the way she lost.

Petra is a better player than her opponent. But she didn't prepared her match very well, even mentally. It seemed that she didn't expect that Sharapova could play well in the fist set. She kind of lost her temper in the 3rd game of the first set. The third game of the match!

I don't know if lack of mental preparation is her coach' fault or hers. It felt like she only expected an easy win in a semi-final of a grad slam.

But maybe the reason of loss is beyond the battlefield,like the things I mentioned above.

Excelscior
Jan 28th, 2012, 02:35 AM
Hey Chagadoni.

Thanks for your thoughts and interest.

As much as I was dissapointed with Petra's loss to Sharapova (and believes she should of won), I think we have to take a wait and see attitude on your suggestions. They may be a bit premature and reactionary.

1) Petra's hitting partner is suppossedly Adam, her boyfriend. I don't know who is when Adam can't make it. But I'm sure she has one.

Petra's UE errors go up and down, and are not always as bad or frequent as we think.

Sharapova has a male hitting partner, you mentioned, but hits a boatload of unforced errors many times, as well.

2) As far as the mental coach, we know she used to have one. And I guess you feel she needs another apppintment? Lol.

I think that remains to be seen as well. Petra played a lot of high pressure matches, successfully the past several months. We just can't forget like those tournament wins didn't happen. The AO semifinal is a whole nother kettle of fish, that I don't even wanna deal with (how much can she really be criticized for mentally checking out at the end)? And did she think she was going to win it easy from the 1st set service game? And what happened after/the rest of the set and the break points, etc.)?

3) I think this is the most understood aspect of Petra. She may not look it to some, but Petra has excellent fitness. How often do you see her get tired during deep tournament runs, retire or lose 3 set matches.

Petra's lost a lot of weight, and increased her foot speed significantly the past several years. Petra also has excellent foot work and anticipation..

Now keep in mind when a player loses/has poor play, we can usually find fault with their footwork, foot speed and anticipation. So Petra's no different than anyone in that aspect. Did anyone say that when she was winning 19 out of her last 20 matches? Lol.

So all in all, I think you have some interesting proposals, but I think they're premature. Petra's AO loss, seemed more tactical/on court. Why? Cause Petra won all those tournaments last year with the same hitting partner, body and brain.

But that doesn't mean those things can't use some further fine tuning or observations, IMHO. Lol

I hope that helps?

ChagoDoni
Jan 28th, 2012, 04:18 AM
Hey Chagadoni.

Thanks for your thoughts and interest.

As much as I was dissapointed with Petra's loss to Sharapova (and believes she should of won), I think we have to take a wait and see attitude on your suggestions. They may be a bit premature and reactionary.

1) Petra's hitting partner is suppossedly Adam, her boyfriend. I don't know who is when Adam can't make it. But I'm sure she has one.

Petra's UE errors go up and down, and are not always as bad or frequent as we think.

Sharapova has a male hitting partner, you mentioned, but hits a boatload of unforced errors many times, as well.

2) As far as the mental coach, we know she used to have one. And I guess you feel she needs another apppintment? Lol.

I think that remains to be seen as well. Petra played a lot of high pressure matches, successfully the past several months. We just can't forget like those tournament wins didn't happen. The AO semifinal is a whole nother kettle of fish, that I don't even wanna deal with (how much can she really be criticized for mentally checking out at the end)? And did she think she was going to win it easy from the 1st set service game? And what happened after/the rest of the set and the break points, etc.)?

3) I think this is the most understood aspect of Petra. She may not look it to some, but Petra has excellent fitness. How often do you see her get tired during deep tournament runs, retire or lose 3 set matches.

Petra's lost a lot of weight, and increased her foot speed significantly the past several years. Petra also has excellent foot work and anticipation..

Now keep in mind when a player loses/has poor play, we can usually find fault with their footwork, foot speed and anticipation. So Petra's no different than anyone in that aspect. Did anyone say that when she was winning 19 out of her last 20 matches? Lol.

So all in all, I think you have some interesting proposals, but I think they're premature. Petra's AO loss, seemed more tactical/on court. Why? Cause Petra won all those tournaments last year with the same hitting partner, body and brain.

But that doesn't mean those things can't use some further fine tuning or observations, IMHO. Lol

I hope that helps?

1. hitting partner
I don't think a young boy is good enough,especially when he has his own career to pursuit. Hire a professional guy and such a guy can accompany her all the time. Don't mix your job with persons like your boyfriend, because it's too complicated. And I think a retired ATP tennis player is on a better level than her boyfriend.

About Sharapova's case,yeah,she has many UE. But you don't know without her hitting partner,how bad she would have been. My point is, for a female tennis player, it's an effective way to work with a male hitting partner to improve your techniques.

2. body fat issue
I always think she is kind of overweight, more or less. I just seldom say things in this forum. When I saw the handle on her belly, I can not say she is perfectly fit. Personally I think such obvious body fat is the proof of unprofessional fitness training for a tennis athlete. You focus on what she has done with her body, but I focus on what she hasn't.

It's like Djokovic's case. Before his big change, we couldn't say he was not fit.But he just became fitter, leaner and faster. And his footwork improved a lot because of the better fitness.

3.mental coach issue.

I personally think she makes too many UE because she loses her focus easily in a period of time during the matches. And it almost happened every 2nd set of most of her matches.And when she loses her concentration, she cann't hit the ball on the sweet spot of her raquet.

She needs a full time mental coach on her tournaments until she gets rid of this problem.

Now her team includes a coach and a trainer. I just hope the team can have two more persons: a professional hitting partner and a mental coach(When she gets better on the concentration issue, the mental coach can leave.)

The above is my two cents. Hope it can help

ChagoDoni
Jan 28th, 2012, 04:45 AM
Excelscior,

I think your point is Petra is fine, and don't over-interpret her loss to Sharapova.

My point is somehow she is not fine. I had this feeling even when she won the YEC. I just usually don't say anything on this forum. I had this feeling because I think she was not consistent during the YEC and this kind of inconsistency happened again and again later even though she won most of the matches. If she wants to win more Grand Slams, this inconsistency simply can not repeat.

Petra is much more talented than Sharapova. And I don't interpret this loss as a random one. And simple hard working won't help her much, in my opinion. It's like she needs to reorganize her team to a higher level. Of course, this is just my personal opinion. Hope I didn't say anything impolite or irritating.

Excelscior
Jan 28th, 2012, 04:49 AM
1. hitting partner
I don't think a young boy is good enough,especially when he has his own career to pursuit. Hire a professional guy and such a guy can accompany her all the time. Don't mix your job with persons like your boyfriend, because it's too complicated. And I think a retired ATP tennis player is on a better level than her boyfriend.

About Sharapova's case,yeah,she has many UE. But you don't without her hitting partner,how bad she would be. My point is, for a female tennis player, it's an effective way to work with a male hitting partner to improve your techniques.

2. body fat issue
I always think she is kind of overweight, more or less. I just seldom say things in this forum. When I saw the handle on her belly, I can not say she is perfectly fit. Personally I think such obvious body fat is the proof of unprofessional fitness training for a tennis athlete. You focus on what she has done with her body, but I focus on what she hasn't.

It's like Djokovic's case. Before his big change, we couldn't say he was not fit.But he just became fitter, leaner and faster. And his footwork improved a lot because of the better fitness.

3.mental coach issue.

I personally think she makes too many UE because she loses her focus easily in a period of time during the matches. And it almost happened every 2nd set of most of her matches.And when she loses her concentration, she cann't hit the ball on the sweet spot of her raquet.

She needs a full time mental coach on her tournaments until she gets rid of this problem.

Now her team includes a coach and a trainer. I just hope the team can have two more persons: a professional hitting partner and a mental coach(When she gets better on the concentration issue, the mental coach can leave.)

The above is my two cents. Hope it can help

Though I'm not sure if I agree with 100% of what you suggested right now (except, maybe the full time hitting parter, if she doesn't already have one). But I must say, you presented your arguments very well.

Thanks for your imput, and don't be so silent in the future.

mac47
Jan 28th, 2012, 06:08 AM
I agree that there is no excuse for having any excess body fat when you're a pro athlete with a full-time fitness trainer. I think it would be scary to see her drop the weight and blitz the WTA. But then again, she has come a long way already, and we don't know just how much pain she has already gone through to change her body to what it is now.

I also think she needs to stop the mental walkabout stuff. Not sure how to eliminate that. She rationalizes the errors ("they're part of my game"), and perhaps she is right to do so. It's hard to argue with her record in the last 8 months.

I feel sure that Petra really wants to keep improving, so I'm sure she'll do what she needs to.

Petronius
Jan 28th, 2012, 08:08 PM
I agree that there is no excuse for having any excess body fat when you're a pro athlete with a full-time fitness trainer. I think it would be scary to see her drop the weight and blitz the WTA. But then again, she has come a long way already, and we don't know just how much pain she has already gone through to change her body to what it is now.

I also think she needs to stop the mental walkabout stuff. Not sure how to eliminate that. She rationalizes the errors ("they're part of my game"), and perhaps she is right to do so. It's hard to argue with her record in the last 8 months.

I feel sure that Petra really wants to keep improving, so I'm sure she'll do what she needs to.

Absolutely. She keeps telling this every time and everywhere. She's well aware of her weaknesses and is working on them. And yes, she did cooperate with a psychologist.