PDA

View Full Version : Teens accused of hate crime against Brother Rice student

JN
Jan 27th, 2012, 07:21 PM
January 26, 2012 11:42AM

Teens accused of hate crime against Brother Rice student

BY CASEY TONER

The noose tightened around Joshua Merritt’s neck. He slipped two fingers under the rope to breathe.

His three alleged white tormentors, ages 16, 17, and 18, surrounded him and called him the N-word in the living room of a Beverly home. The 16-year-old who lived at the house, Merritt says, flashed his butterfly knife at the black Morgan Park resident.

“You’re under my control, now,” Merritt recalled him saying.

Now, 18-year-old Matthew Herrmann is facing felony hate crime charges for his role in the Dec. 23 attack on Merritt, 17, which allegedly took place at the home of a Cook County state’s attorney’s employee. The employee, whose home is in the 1600 block of West 100th Place, works in an administrative role and is the parent of one of the accused teens, state’s attorney’s spokesman Andy Conklin said Thursday.

To avoid any conflict of interest, the Illinois attorney general’s office has been asked to handle the 16-year-old’s prosecution, Conklin said.

Herrmann was charged as an adult with battery, unlawful restraint and hate crime earlier this month and had his bail set at $50,000. The two younger accused boys had yet to be charged.

The Attorney General’s office is reviewing the case against the 16-year-old, spokeswoman Robyn Ziegler said. The state’s attorney’s office is reviewing the case against the 17-year-old. Both would be tried in juvenile court, if charged.

Merritt, a senior at Brother Rice High School, said he was friends with Herrmann since his freshman year at Brother Rice. Herrmann was one class year older, but they were both in the anime and video game clubs and had a “trust with each other.”

Merritt said he knew the 17-year-old attended Brother Rice, but he didn’t know him well. The 16-year-old is a Morgan Park High School student, Merritt said.

He declined to disclose their names.

Brother Rice principal Jim Antos said the accused student from his school was “removed” Thursday following media reports and will not be returning.

The alleged hate crime occurred after Merritt was invited to hang out with Herrmann and his friends at the house in Beverly. He had been at the home last spring and knew the boy who lived there as well as his cousin, a white girl to whom Merritt had sent text and Facebook messages.

After being at the house about 10 minutes, Merritt says, Herrmann told the 16-year-old boy to “go get it,” and he returned with the noose. All three of the attackers helped slip the rope around his neck.

“I’m completely bewildered,” Merritt said. “I’m so confused and scared at this point.”

Merritt claimed he took the noose off and tried to flee through the kitchen door. The teens blocked his path and moved him back in the living room and put the rope back around his neck.

All four teens, including Merritt, left the house after the mother of the 16-year-old called, needing to meet up with him. When Merritt was walking to the bus stop, he said the boy ran up to him with his knife, threatened him, and told him to stop talking to his cousin.

“We are grateful that it didn’t escalate further, and that he made it home,” said William Merritt, Joshua’s father. “We were really upset and afraid for him.”

William Merritt said he was baffled by the attack because of his son’s friendship with Herrmann.

“You never know what’s going on in their minds and the hatred you may not see up front,” he said. “Everyone should have a good gentlemanly love for people instead of this hatred.”

Antos said Brother Rice had not taken action previously because none of the facts had been substantiated.

“The complete story of what happened did not unfold until (Wednesday) night,” Antos said.

Antos said a faculty meeting was held Thursday, and students were told during announcements that “what happened is a challenge to all of us. It was beyond the campus and it happened over the holiday. Some people will try to paint you with a broad brush.”

Antos said a dean was in contact with both the suspect’s family and the Merritts, although he was unsure whether the dean had contacted police directly. He said the school also was still trying to get a copy of the police report.

“We’re certainly shocked,” Antos said. “This doesn’t represent the character of our kids. Behavior like this is not tolerated. It never was. It never will be.”

Merritt, who is thinking about attending the University of Illinois at Chicago next year, said he felt safer now that one of his alleged attackers was kicked out of school. He was worried the boy might retaliate.

Wearing his Brother Rice crusaders jacket, Merritt defended the school and called it his “second home.”

“The people there are so supportive,” he said. “Even with this, it’s just one bad egg in the bunch.”

(Source (http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/10249232-522/teens-accused-of-hate-crime-against-brother-rice-student.html))
____

Pov?

*JR*
Jan 28th, 2012, 10:37 PM
January 26, 2012 11:42AM

Teens accused of hate crime against Brother Rice student...

The 3rd charge should be menacing (or even making a terroristic threat) but not a hate crime, as that's having the criminal justice system act as thought police (and doesn't work, even makes the accused a martyr to those with similar bias). Throw the book @ him and the other 2 assailants, but for what they did, not why they did it. The hate speech [Edit: expression of hate and bias] used IMO should be admissible only as evidence of motive, not as a separate charge.

================================================== ============================

Helen Lawson
Jan 28th, 2012, 10:50 PM
What about the Florida A&M students who beat the band guy to death?

mykarma
Jan 29th, 2012, 01:34 AM
What about the Florida A&M students who beat the band guy to death?
Helen you continue to bring up the FAMU student but you never created a thread about it. Why not? Do you really not care about the student or is it your excuse for any crimes that white kids do against minorities? Please explain your reasoning, I'd honestly like to know?

Helen Lawson
Jan 29th, 2012, 01:43 AM
It's more that the first thread I read when I come in is a hate-crime thread, for like the 100th time from JN. It's just getting old, it's the same stuff over and over with the same comments over and over. The FAMU hazing murder is really bad, this kid was basically beaten to death in a long hazing ritual and basically dies on a bus hiding his injuries. Now his parents are saying he was gay and it was a hate-crime based on that, though I found it shocking before that came out. Now the "haters" are pointing out that the kid was 26 years old and implying he was some kind of predator attending college to go after 18 year olds. I don't think the story merits a thread, but it's in my view a lot more worthy of a thread than this one.

mykarma
Jan 29th, 2012, 01:56 AM
It's more that the first thread I read when I come in is a hate-crime thread, for like the 100th time from JN. It's just getting old, it's the same stuff over and over with the same comments over and over. The FAMU hazing murder is really bad, this kid was basically beaten to death in a long hazing ritual and basically dies on a bus hiding his injuries. Now his parents are saying he was gay and it was a hate-crime based on that, though I found it shocking before that came out. Now the "haters" are pointing out that the kid was 26 years old and implying he was some kind of predator attending college to go after 18 year olds. I don't think the story merits a thread, but it's in my view a lot more worthy of a thread than this one.

If you really thought it was that important seems as though you'd create a thread about it instead of trying to control what others deem important to post. You running around trolling him really makes you look bad and I really thought you were better than that. Guess I was wrong. I'm sure you've noticed that JN disregards all of your post so what's the point. If his post annoy you you do have the option of not reading them which wouldn't cause you all the stress his post seem to cause you. It's quite simple actually.

In addition, the kids death was tragic but certainly not premeditated. It was an accident so no malice intended. Even if it was premeditated what does it have to do with anything else? Bringing the same old shit from the political thread to here. Please give it up, it's what's getting old.

JN
Jan 29th, 2012, 02:26 PM
The 3rd charge should be menacing (or even making a terroristic threat) but not a hate crime, as that's having the criminal justice system act as thought police (and doesn't work, even makes the accused a martyr to those with similar bias). Throw the book @ him and the other 2 assailants, but for what they did, not why they did it. The hate speech used IMO should be admissible only as evidence of motive, not as a separate charge.

It wasn't just hate speech, *JR*, there was a noose involved. What are you gonna say now, they were all Boy Scouts simply practicing their knots? :rolleyes:

*JR*
Jan 29th, 2012, 03:06 PM
It wasn't just hate speech, *JR*, there was a noose involved. What are you gonna say now, they were all Boy Scouts simply practicing their knots? :rolleyes:

Of course I wasn't :shout: in any way absolving them by using the common term "hate speech". But just to satisfy your fixation on precise descriptives, I'll be painstakingly didactic; I thus amend the phrase from "hate speech" to "expression of hate and bias". BTW, I essentially said this already in the post you quoted, by saying that the 3rd charge should either be menacing, or even making a terroristic threat. Is my post now tough enough 4U? :scratch:

Helen Lawson
Jan 29th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Of course I wasn't :shout: in any way absolving them by using the common term "hate speech". But just to satisfy your fixation on precise descriptives, I'll be painstakingly didactic; I thus amend the phrase from "hate speech" to "expression of hate and bias". BTW, I essentially said this already in the post you quoted, by saying that the 3rd charge should either be menacing, or even making a terroristic threat. Is my post now tough enough 4U? :scratch:

Of course you were. Black is good, white is bad, blacks don't commit crimes, they are framed and victimized by whites. Any facts to the contrary are not important. All crime against black is racially motivated.

JN
Jan 29th, 2012, 04:05 PM

Say what you wanna say, doesn't matter to me. Pointing out your glaring omissions doesn't equate to me telling you how to speak or think. They've all been charged with hate crimes, anyway, so the subject is moot.

mykarma
Jan 30th, 2012, 04:19 AM
Of course you were. Black is good, white is bad, blacks don't commit crimes, they are framed and victimized by whites. Any facts to the contrary are not important. All crime against black is racially motivated.
Did you bother even reading the article before posting that nonsense? :rolleyes:

tennisbum79
Jan 30th, 2012, 05:38 AM
I don't understand why any hate crime or act of racism against a black person has always to be justified by the person who posted the article even if the article stated that fact.

What does this have to do with other crimes?
Are you going to tell the mother of this kid that because black students committed a crime against another black at FAMU, her son attack is not a hate crime when the perpetrators were directing racist remarks at the victim?

This knee jerk reaction is really not helping an honest discussion, unless the intent is really to derail such discussion and stop it in its track.

Let's step back a little.

Italians used to be seen as being outside of the mainstream at one point in time in the USA.
Let say a racially motivated crime was committed by angles-saxon white against a darker italian sking (from Sicilly) while hurling stereotypical epithets against the victims, would it be OK to make the case because "those Italians kill each other all the time in Mafia gangs wars or extorsion, there is no merit in asserting that an Italian was victim of hate crime ??

Helen Lawson
Jan 30th, 2012, 09:44 AM
It's the same articles over and over that are getting posted. There's a new article posted after every hate crime. Why? What is there to say about it? There are plenty of crimes going on, against blacks and otherwise, why are these the ones that get posted ad nauseum? "Inspired" by these threads, I did find a cite that lists news stories about black on white crime and many of those stories are hate crimes as well, why don't I just start posting all of those every few days?

JN
Jan 30th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Had to flee or 'I might be dead,' victim says of racial attack

Cops: 3 white teens put noose around black teen's neck

By Ryan Haggerty, Jeremy Gorner and Kate Thayer Tribune reporters 4:00 a.m. CST, January 27, 2012

Joshua Merritt said he had no reason to be suspicious when one of his friends texted him, asking him to hang out with two other teenagers they both knew.

But after Merritt, 17, arrived at the home of one of the boys in Chicago’s East Beverly neighborhood Dec. 23, he realized his friends weren’t simply looking to have a good time.

The three teens, who are white, allegedly put a noose around the neck of Merritt, who is black, and hurled racial epithets at him before one of the boys held a knife to his throat and threatened to kill him, police and Merritt said Thursday.

The teens were apparently upset about Merritt’s relationship with one of the boys’ female cousins, police said.

“I feel they were being serious, and that if I didn’t get out of the house when I did, I might not even be here,” Merritt said Thursday, sitting on a couch in his family’s living room in the city’s Morgan Park neighborhood. “I might be dead.”

Two of the alleged attackers, ages 17 and 18, were charged Jan. 10 with committing a hate crime, unlawful restraint and battery, police said.

One of those teens, Matthew Herrmann, 18, of the 4200 block of West 126th Street in Alsip, was charged as an adult, police said. He is free on bond, according to court records. The 17-year-old was charged as a juvenile.

The third alleged attacker, 16, was charged as a juvenile with committing a hate crime, unlawful restraint, aggravated battery and aggravated assault for allegedly pulling a knife in the incident, police said.

The attack occurred at the 16-year-old’s home in the 1600 block of West 100th Place, police said.

His mother holds an administrative position in the Cook County state’s attorney’s office, prompting Cook County (http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/us/illinois/cook-county-PLGEO100100501000000.topic) prosecutors to request that the case against the boy be handled by the Illinois attorney general’s office to avoid a conflict of interest, said Tandra Simonton, spokeswoman for Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez (http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/crime-law-justice/anita-alvarez-PEPLT0000017554.topic).

A spokeswoman for Attorney General Lisa Madigan (http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/politics/government/lisa-madigan-PEPLT007452.topic) said that request is still under review.

Merritt said he and the 16-year-old’s cousin were friends but were not dating. He said he went to the 16-year-old boy’s house after one of the teens invited him over.

Merritt, a senior at Brother Rice High School, said everything seemed normal when he first arrived.

He said he and the others were talking about music before the others started using racist terms, including the N-word, against him.

Then one of the teens approached from behind and slipped a rope fashioned into a noose around his neck, he said.

After getting out of the noose, Merritt and police said he tried to escape, but the others blocked the doors.

“I couldn’t believe that they were doing this,” said Merritt, wearing a maroon Brother Rice jacket over his white shirt and black tie. “I just (felt) trapped inside there.”

The situation seemed to calm down a bit, Merritt said. He said he told the others, “Guys, stop. Please. This isn’t funny.”

That’s when one of the teens put the noose around his neck a second time, he said.

(Source (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-3-teens-charged-in-alleged-racial-christmas-eve-attack-20120126,0,1748759.story)) for video.

JN
Jan 30th, 2012, 03:10 PM
http://gravatar.com/avatar/5efe00ae17116c31b72ed25eeb19ba14?s=40&d=identicon http://s.intensedebate.com/images/wordpress-favicon.ico (http://intensedebate.com/profiles/bsmuv) bsmuv (http://intensedebate.com/profiles/bsmuv) 68p · 2 days ago (http://ohellnawlblog.com/newohnblog/2012/01/27/does-an-altercation-between-people-of-different-races-always-have-to-be-considered-a-hate-crime/#IDComment276159584)

Wow this is so messed up but I can't say that I am surprised. I attended and graduated from Brother Rice High School in May of 1990. And let me tell you the racism was just as bad if not worst because it was openly tolerated by the administration. Granted the black student population was less then 2% there was still no excuse. My graduating class of 482 seniors, I was one of 24 black students to graduate that year.

Just a little bit of factual information for you when Chicago had it's first black mayor Harold Washington pass away in office of a heart attack, they announced it over the pa system in school. The response was all the white boys laughing and checking and high fiveing each other and singing *Ding Dong the ******'s Dead, The ******'s Dead The ******'s Dead, Ding Dong The Black Ass ******'s Dead* like the song from the Wizard of Oz.

Will you can guess what happened after that, all the black students walked out of class and met up in the lunch room. From Freshman to Seniors. We was like fugg sitting in class we protecting the fact ya'll being jerks and we not going to class.

Next point was we as Seniors wanted to have a separate prom from the rest of the student body. Having no say on the arrangments in Junior Prom and the music selection being the worst, we set in motion to have our own thing. Administration stopped it and told our parents we would be not allowed to graduate if we went through with it. Of course we caved into the pressure from our parents. But that didn't stop us from helping the Junior's get it organized for their Senior prom the following year. Guess what, they not only got it done, but it ended up breaking as national news and Oprah ended up picking up the story. Keep in mind this is 1991 not 1891 or even 1791. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1991-05-01/new... (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1991-05-01/news/9102080575_1_separate-proms-alternative-prom-school-sponsored-prom)

See the thing is, the boys that are sent to this school are the sons, and nephews of the power circle of Chicago and state of Illinois elite. I doubt that has changed at all. I went to school with and had classes with Senator's, Alderman's, Police Commander's, Councilman's sons and nephews. And I learned very early on that Chicago is the most racists city in the country. That behavior is learned and reinforced at home. And if these boys are acting like this, the parents have got to be much much worst. Am I shocked that this is still going on, not really. It saddens me to thing that we as a people still have come no further along then a few baby steps from under Jim Crow.

And to all the Clear Folks that say racism doesn't exist anymore and slavery was 400 years ago and we need to get over it and stop playing the race card, I say fugg you and eat a fat dack with fries.

(Source (http://ohellnawlblog.com/newohnblog/2012/01/27/does-an-altercation-between-people-of-different-races-always-have-to-be-considered-a-hate-crime/#idc-container))

allhailwilliams
Jan 30th, 2012, 10:18 PM

everyone knows helen lawson to be a racist. as far as the black kid goes, he knew better. his father should of taught him that whitey is always big and bad in groups. most blacks know to not be alone with too may whites. they are mostly evil.

tennisbum79
Jan 31st, 2012, 12:10 AM
It's the same articles over and over that are getting posted. There's a new article posted after every hate crime. Why? What is there to say about it? There are plenty of crimes going on, against blacks and otherwise, why are these the ones that get posted ad nauseum? "Inspired" by these threads, I did find a cite that lists news stories about black on white crime and many of those stories are hate crimes as well, why don't I just start posting all of those every few days?
I don't think people here go to sites where exclusively white on black stories are posted.
These stories happen to be in the news.

Nobody is claiming there isn't black on white crimes, nor do people only post white on black thread. Of course there are, but not to the level you claim.
But If there were as much crime of blacks-on-whites, as you seem to suggest, we would not miss it, for FAUXNews would be up in arms about it, Rush Limbaugh would declare it was open season on whites in Obama's America.

Wasn't there a story of black on inter-racial couple few weeks ago and you were not happy about the (low) level or intensity of outrage expressed by some selected posters you targeted?

Feel free to post any crime story you wish.

If you don't like threads about these stories, please keep expressing your objections or displeasure, but don't expect them to stop.
In fact, I predict the incidence will rise as we get near the general elections.
What will also rise are the racially motivated politically attacks, verbal or otherwise. And those will be posted here as well when they are reported on.

JN
Feb 1st, 2012, 04:31 PM
If young whites are still shaking nooses, we have a long ways to go

http://www.suntimes.com/csp/cms/sites/STM/assets/img/columnists/bw/mitchell.jpg
By MARY MITCHELL mmitchell@suntimes.com January 27, 2012 8:24PM

When I look at my 11-year-old grandson, I see the young man he will become.

Already an exceptional scholar and gifted athlete (he is an inch and a half from towering over his 5-foot-4 mother), and he rocks the same playful dimples that make his father’s serious face handsome.

I take in all of this whenever I watch this grandson at play with teammates who don’t look like him. For as long as he has been in school, he has been the only dark face in the crowd.

If he’s ever been concerned about being the “only one” in the group, he hasn’t shared it with me.

Right now, his life is just like the lives of his friends. They play soccer and basketball. They sing in the choir. They huddle over science projects. He’s slept over at a classmate’s house. The classmate has slept over at his.

Once, in the heat of a close soccer game a white kid on the opposing team called him the N-word. But the soccer moms demanded a reckoning from the team’s coach. The matter was handled with an apology and forgotten by season’s end.

Still, I worry about him being in an environment lacking in diversity. His mom is convinced I worry too much. But she went to diverse schools. She was never the only one.

What will happen, I ask her, when he discovers girls?
In response, she rolls her eyes as if I’ve gotten into a time machine and sent it back to the 1950s.

I wish I had.

I wish the accusations against Matthew Herrmann, an 18-year-old at Brother Rice High School, and two other white teens were something my grandson read about in a history book rather than in a newspaper.

The trio is accused of putting a noose around Joshua Merritt’s neck because the black teen was sending texts and Facebook messages to the female cousin of one of the attackers.

Herrmann has been charged as an adult with battery, unlawful restraint and a hate crime. The two other teens are being charged as juveniles.

According to Merritt, he was invited to meet up with Herrmann and his friends at the Beverly home of a Cook County state’s attorney’s employee where the attack allegedly took place.

Apparently, once Merritt got comfortable, his attackers pulled out the noose and put it around his neck. When Merritt tried to flee, his attackers allegedly blocked his way. After Merritt managed to get away, a 16-year-old accused in this incident followed him to the bus stop and threatened him with a knife. Merritt said he was told to “stop talking” to the boy’s cousin.

Because Merritt was not beaten, the tendency will be to dismiss this despicable incident as a tasteless prank.

But black people do not play with nooses.

The noose is a symbol of racial hatred and intimidation and hearkens back to a time when black men were hanged from trees just for looking at a white woman.

Merritt may not have been physically harmed, but if white teens put a noose around his neck, he was horribly humiliated.

Worst yet, Merritt was apparently lured to the Beverly home under the guise of friendship. Merritt obviously didn’t think Herrmann and his alleged co-conspirators meant him harm.

The African-American teen told reporters he had been friends with Herrmann since his freshman year at Brother Rice.

Merritt thought the teens had a “trust with each other,” which is how he put it when he spoke to reporters.

So much for trust.

You can never know what is in someone’s heart. But if the facts are true as presented by Merritt, this attack appears to be rooted in racial intolerance.

That is what worries me most about my grandson’s situation. Right now he is innocent, and I don’t want him to think racism is behind every social slight.

Yet I also don’t want him to be naive. Racism still exists. I had hoped the next generation would be a lot more tolerant when it came to race than my generation.

But if young white teens are shaking nooses, we still have a long ways to go.

(Source (http://www.suntimes.com/news/mitchell/10274591-452/if-young-whites-are-still-shaking-nooses-we-have-a-long-ways-to-go.html))

mykarma
Feb 1st, 2012, 05:15 PM
If young whites are still shaking nooses, we have a long ways to go

http://www.suntimes.com/csp/cms/sites/STM/assets/img/columnists/bw/mitchell.jpg
By MARY MITCHELL mmitchell@suntimes.com January 27, 2012 8:24PM

When I look at my 11-year-old grandson, I see the young man he will become.

Already an exceptional scholar and gifted athlete (he is an inch and a half from towering over his 5-foot-4 mother), and he rocks the same playful dimples that make his father’s serious face handsome.

I take in all of this whenever I watch this grandson at play with teammates who don’t look like him. For as long as he has been in school, he has been the only dark face in the crowd.

If he’s ever been concerned about being the “only one” in the group, he hasn’t shared it with me.

Right now, his life is just like the lives of his friends. They play soccer and basketball. They sing in the choir. They huddle over science projects. He’s slept over at a classmate’s house. The classmate has slept over at his.

Once, in the heat of a close soccer game a white kid on the opposing team called him the N-word. But the soccer moms demanded a reckoning from the team’s coach. The matter was handled with an apology and forgotten by season’s end.

Still, I worry about him being in an environment lacking in diversity. His mom is convinced I worry too much. But she went to diverse schools. She was never the only one.

What will happen, I ask her, when he discovers girls?
In response, she rolls her eyes as if I’ve gotten into a time machine and sent it back to the 1950s.

I wish I had.

I wish the accusations against Matthew Herrmann, an 18-year-old at Brother Rice High School, and two other white teens were something my grandson read about in a history book rather than in a newspaper.

The trio is accused of putting a noose around Joshua Merritt’s neck because the black teen was sending texts and Facebook messages to the female cousin of one of the attackers.

Herrmann has been charged as an adult with battery, unlawful restraint and a hate crime. The two other teens are being charged as juveniles.

According to Merritt, he was invited to meet up with Herrmann and his friends at the Beverly home of a Cook County state’s attorney’s employee where the attack allegedly took place.

Apparently, once Merritt got comfortable, his attackers pulled out the noose and put it around his neck. When Merritt tried to flee, his attackers allegedly blocked his way. After Merritt managed to get away, a 16-year-old accused in this incident followed him to the bus stop and threatened him with a knife. Merritt said he was told to “stop talking” to the boy’s cousin.

Because Merritt was not beaten, the tendency will be to dismiss this despicable incident as a tasteless prank.

But black people do not play with nooses.

The noose is a symbol of racial hatred and intimidation and hearkens back to a time when black men were hanged from trees just for looking at a white woman.

Merritt may not have been physically harmed, but if white teens put a noose around his neck, he was horribly humiliated.

Worst yet, Merritt was apparently lured to the Beverly home under the guise of friendship. Merritt obviously didn’t think Herrmann and his alleged co-conspirators meant him harm.

The African-American teen told reporters he had been friends with Herrmann since his freshman year at Brother Rice.

Merritt thought the teens had a “trust with each other,” which is how he put it when he spoke to reporters.

So much for trust.

You can never know what is in someone’s heart. But if the facts are true as presented by Merritt, this attack appears to be rooted in racial intolerance.

That is what worries me most about my grandson’s situation. Right now he is innocent, and I don’t want him to think racism is behind every social slight.

Yet I also don’t want him to be naive. Racism still exists. I had hoped the next generation would be a lot more tolerant when it came to race than my generation.

But if young white teens are shaking nooses, we still have a long ways to go.

(Source (http://www.suntimes.com/news/mitchell/10274591-452/if-young-whites-are-still-shaking-nooses-we-have-a-long-ways-to-go.html))

I know exactly what she's saying as I've been the only one many times in my life and it certainly has it's challenges on occasion. I do think it's a lot easier now a days but we know it's still out there as we can tell by some of the post on this board.

Ryan
Feb 1st, 2012, 10:41 PM

Feel free to Helen, as long as it doesn't get derailed by people commenting on the need to post it - there was clearly a lot of discussion here, I don't have a problem with these threads being posted. I do, however, have a problem with people not getting along. Try to play nicer in the next one, thanks guys.