PDA

View Full Version : PETA Crashes Victoria's Secret Show

iluvtrent
Nov 15th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Activists for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals rushed the stage as Gisele Bundchen strutted down the runway in a beaded bra and panties, thigh-high black stockings and red strappy heels. The four female protesters, carrying signs that read "Gisele: Fur Scum," shouted at the supermodel as she calmly completed her runway turn.

The protesters were taken away, the lights went down and the segment of the show that was interrupted was redone. As Bundchen strode out for the second time in the outfit, the audience erupted into applause for the composed supermodel.

The dramatic confrontation was oddly fitting in a show that featured tried-and-true black lace numbers as well as everything from clear go-go boots with Day-Glo lingerie to fur caps paired with moccasin boots. And wings, lots of wings.

"This year we really worked much harder to develop a connection with hot-off-the-runway products," said Grace Nichols, president and CEO of Victoria's Secret Stores.

Longtime Victoria's Secret model Heidi Klum and Sugar Ray front man Mark McGrath (news) served as hosts, while R&B trio Destiny's Child sang "The Eight Days of Christmas" and salsa singer Marc Anthony performed "Tragedy."

"We do see it as entertainment, and we do put on a show," chief marketing officer Ed Razek said.

The show, in its seventh year, attracted a varied group of celebrities. Huddled up together were Donald Trump, girlfriend Melania Knauss and former Talk magazine publisher Tina Brown. Two seats away was sports broadcaster Ahmad Rashad, and rounding out the front row were soap queen Susan Lucci (news), "Sex and the City (news - Y! TV)" fashion designer Patricia Field and model Tyson Beckford (news).

"There isn't a model in the world today that wouldn't want to do this show," Razek said.

Sending women like Tyra Banks (news), Naomi Campbell and Klum down runways wearing lingerie has proven a successful formula for the retailer, which initially envisioned the fashion show as a way to publicize its Web site, Razek said. After attracting record traffic in two Internet broadcasts, ABC picked up the show in 2001 and broadcast it as a one-hour special. The 2002 show, titled "Christmas Dreams & Fantasies 2002," will air Nov. 20 on CBS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Nov 15th, 2002, 07:14 PM
lol.. i thought you meant Peta Wilson (nikita) :o....... ops!

Helen Lawson
Nov 15th, 2002, 07:19 PM
I believe in PETA, except for the not eating meat part and the no fur part. I think I have made my position in fur clear in the past. Animals should be ethically treated, I am all for that.

BritneySpearsIsHot
Nov 15th, 2002, 07:21 PM
I eat meat, but fur is out and i am totally against cruelty to any animal

Good on the protesters

Ted of Teds Tennis
Nov 16th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Britney:

There are cold places where fur is the best thing to wear for warmth. Try spending a winter in Russia. :D

Picol
Nov 16th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Good on them. I wish I could of been with them.

Sam L
Nov 16th, 2002, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Ted of Teds Tennis
Britney:

There are cold places where fur is the best thing to wear for warmth. Try spending a winter in Russia. :D

Somehow I don't think that's where the most fur export trade is going to. You know that it's all an unneccesary show :rolleyes:

King Satan
Nov 16th, 2002, 06:26 AM
This was good entertainment

i just saw this on tv, and those security guards would make damn good American Football players lol :D

Jordan.
Nov 16th, 2002, 07:11 AM
I saw this, pretty fun. Well done on Gisele for not slapping the dumb bitches.

caramel
Nov 16th, 2002, 07:18 AM
The protesters did an awesome job. :bounce:

I´m also against fur (I wear fake fur though ´cause it is so warm... :D ) and don´t eat meat.

I saw it on the news yesterday night. :p

Master Lu
Nov 16th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Stinger
lol.. i thought you meant Peta Wilson (nikita) :o....... ops!

lol Yeah, I thought the same thing! I was wondering wtf she was on. lol

Shane54
Nov 16th, 2002, 08:36 AM
I saw the clip on TV. I really enjoyed watching one of the protestors being bitch slapped off the stage. That was damn funny!

Sam L
Nov 16th, 2002, 09:20 AM
Anti-Fur Activists Arrested After Interrupting Gisele Bündchen’s Stroll Down Victoria’s Secret’s Catwalk

For Immediate Release:
November 14, 2002

David Perle 757-622-7382

New York — Model Gisele Bündchen—Blackglama’s (American Legend Mink) newest spokesmodel—learned exactly "what becomes a legend most" when four PETA activists holding signs reading, "Gisele: Fur Scum," jumped onto the runway and made a commotion during the taping of Victoria’s Secret’s fashion show at New York’s Lexington Avenue Armory. Three of the four women were arrested.

PETA wants to get Gisele, who reportedly accepted two fur coats valued at $250,000 from Blackglama to promote its pelts, to think about the fact that just one coat can require killing as many as 50 animals by anal and vaginal electrocution, gassing, and other unsavory methods.

Despite the fur trade’s attempts to revive the industry—by using models like Gisele in their ads—sales remain less than half of what they were in the ’80s. Calvin Klein, Todd Oldham, and Stella McCartney are just a few of the designers who won’t go near fur. Pop star P!nk, ER’s Goran Visnjic, and NYPD Blue’s Charlotte Ross, sickened by exposés of cruelty to animals caught in steel-jaw traps and driven mad in tiny fur farm cages, have all appeared recently pro bono in PETA anti-fur ads. Christy Turlington, Carré Otis, Nadja Auermann, Tatjana Patitz, and Marcus Schenkenberg adamantly refuse to wear fur.

"Gisele has blood on her hands and blood money in her pockets," says PETA President Ingrid Newkirk. "She may have long legs, but she’s pitifully short on compassion, given the pain and fear that animals suffer for her vanity."

------------------------------------------

I think I'll go get me some Calvin Kleins, Todd Oldhams and Stella McCartney clothes. The key to beat this evil is to support their competitors. Buy anti-fur clothing producers and drive fur out of business. It works you know, the sales are already less than half of what they were from the 80's. MUAHAHHA!

kes
Nov 16th, 2002, 09:54 AM
I support the protesters!!!
I saw the footage on tv - it was great!!!!
Good on you - Grrrls!!!!!!!! :)

King Aaron
Nov 16th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Poor Gisele but I support the protestors

BritneySpearsIsHot
Nov 16th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Ted of Teds Tennis
Britney:

It's okay, i'd rather not, looks too cold for me http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/ups/DeNiro/lemon.gif

There has to be an alternative option?

Barrie_Dude
Nov 22nd, 2002, 04:18 PM
Though I am against cruelty to animals, I think those PETA tatics are way extreme! They just want attention! Besides, wearing fur is not bad. It has been going on since man was here and is still going on. And those animals are trweated humanely! My experience is that 90% of people against wearing fur are people that cannot afford it. The very same people have no problem wearing leather!

Beat
Nov 22nd, 2002, 04:47 PM
of course they want attention, why not? "gisele fur scum", that was brilliant!

Barrie_Dude
Nov 22nd, 2002, 04:51 PM
Actually is was "Moronic"