PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else on the job hunt?

Sgt.Timmykinz
Jan 23rd, 2012, 01:06 PM
Gosh this is depressing! Just got another load of Monday morning rejection emails.

Just wondering what others are doing to keep morale up. It always hits hardest when a job you really like the sound of rejects you.

I better get on write up another version of the CV and carry on looking.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jan 23rd, 2012, 01:37 PM
Jobs are really hard to come by in this economy, I have been trying to find internships as a part of my college assignment and its incredibly hard as most of them are taken by over qualified people. I normally freelance so I haven't had that much trouble.

What type of jobs/sectors are you looking into?

Sgt.Timmykinz
Jan 23rd, 2012, 04:03 PM
Last year I did an internship in fashion pr/marketing and then took a temporary job in newspaper publishing,specifically the logistic side, it was meant to be a 3 month job but turned into a 9 month one. I'm trying to combine my experiance and get into fashion marketing or merchandising.

I'm finding it hard to stay motivated.

The thing that pisses me off the most though, is when you've spent time to rewrite your CV and then write a cover letter and they can't even send you a response to say you've been unsuccesful, even an automated one would do.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jan 23rd, 2012, 04:29 PM
Last year I did an internship in fashion pr/marketing and then took a temporary job in newspaper publishing,specifically the logistic side, it was meant to be a 3 month job but turned into a 9 month one. I'm trying to combine my experiance and get into fashion marketing or merchandising.

The thing that pisses me off the most though, is when you've spent time to rewrite your CV and then write a cover letter and they can't even send you a response to say you've been unsuccesful, even an automated one would do.

Oh thats really interesting, the uni I go to is one of the best for offering courses in fashion/fashion pr etc and most of my friends are doing fashion journalism / womenswear. There used to be a jobs section on our website for that sort of jobs too, but its been down recently. Have you been to any open days in fashion studios / service design or branding studios? Sometimes if you have met them before hand (even if its for an open day trip) they seem to give you a second glance.

I completely agree, I spent ages designing my CV pdf and my portfolio website (I am still in year, but I have already started doing internships and applying for jobs in design and media) and I just hate it when they dont even send a proper reply.

The Witch-king
Jan 23rd, 2012, 05:07 PM

That's hilarious because I absolutely hate rejection letters, I'd prefer if they didn't send them lol

What I will say is everyone goes through it and it sucks I know but you have to keep trying. I suggest allowing a few days to feel sorry for yourself, then get back into the grind. Look at the job search as your 'employment' i.e. something that inevitably comes with its highs and its lows and which needs your dedication and determination not to give up.

I wish both of you guys luck and please keep your heads high.

Alternatively, you could work towards self-employment...

Tripp
Jan 23rd, 2012, 09:41 PM
I'm a 25yo lawyer, have been working in the legal area since I was 18 and I recently moved to a new city. I can't find any job and I've been working as a waiter for the past two months because I ran out of money, so I'm pretty much like you. Waiting may be fun and relaxed, but it's by no means a career, so I'm kind of desperate to find something in my area. I haven't even been getting reject e-mails, simply no responses at all, and I've pretty much sent my resumé to every law firm in the city.

The ridiculous part is that there are so many lawyers in the city that I've only seen three or four ads on the newspaper from law firms that are hiring, and I earn twice as much as they offer by working as a waiter.

Malkmus_
Jan 24th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Yep :sobbing:

Keep trying, but everyone's going for the same jobs, so annoying. So bored that I'm not working or anything. Feel like I wasted three years at Uni.

ranfurly
Jan 25th, 2012, 05:02 AM
Gosh this is depressing! Just got another load of Monday morning rejection emails.

Just wondering what others are doing to keep morale up. It always hits hardest when a job you really like the sound of rejects you.

I better get on write up another version of the CV and carry on looking.

Perseverance.

I finished University with a bit of cash behind me, so I could afford to bide my tongue and keep hunting for the right job I was after.

Rejection letters are all part and parcel of recruiting and selecting.

Just think that the job you got rejected from, probably another 50 applicants also didn't make the cut.

Continue refining the CV, Cover letters and let it known to potential employees that you have been searching for work, because that shows motivation that you're determined to seek employment. People like that trait.

We were told when we went to career seminars that on average you are rejected from 25-30 jobs before you land one, so the odds are stacked initially.

Good Luck.