PDA

View Full Version : 1Evicted 101-year-old Detroit woman can't go home

mykarma
Jan 22nd, 2012, 11:01 PM
Associated Press – 18 mins ago
http://news.yahoo.com/101-old-detroit-woman-evicted-foreclosure-191726499.html

In this Oct. 3, 3011, photo, Texana Hollis, 101, reacts after discussing her eviction in Detroit. Hollis, was evicted from her home in September because her son, Warren, failed to keep up with mortgage payments. After the eviction, Hollis collapsed and went to the hospital. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development said she could stay in the home as long as she wanted, but she has yet to move back in because the home is not in a livable condition. (AP Photo/Detroit News, John T. Greilick) DETROIT FREE PRESS OUT
Texana Hollis, 101, talks to her friend Pollian Cheeks granddaughter Jahzara after discussing her eviction in Detroit. Hollis, was evicted from her home in September because her son, Warren, failed to keep up with mortgage payments. After the eviction, Hollis collapsed and went to the hospital. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development said she could stay in the home as long as she wanted, but she has yet to move back in because the home is not in a livable condition. (AP Photo/Detroit News, John T. Greilick) DETROIT FREE PRESS OUT

In this Oct. 3, 3011, photo, Texana Hollis, 101, talks to her friend Pollian Cheeks …

DETROIT (AP) — The federal government now says a 101-year-old Detroit woman it promised could move back into her foreclosed home four months ago can't return because the building's unsanitary and unsafe.

Texana Hollis was evicted Sept. 12 and her belongings placed outside after her 65-year-old son failed to pay property taxes linked to a reverse mortgage and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development foreclosed on the home.

Two days later, the department said she could return. But now, HUD said it won't let Hollis move back in because of the house's condition. She had lived there about 60 years.

"Here I am, 100 years old, and don't have a home," Hollis said, rounding off her age. "Oh Lord, help me."

Department spokesman Brian Sullivan told The Detroit News (http://bit.ly/yoTW9X ) that an inspection determined the house "was completely unsuitable for a person to live in."

"We can't allow someone to live in that (atmosphere) now that we are essentially the owners of the property," Sullivan said. "The home isn't safe; it's not sanitary. It's certainly not suitable for anyone to live in, especially not a 101-year-old mother."

HUD doesn't want to pay to fix up the house, but Sullivan said the department's seeking other agencies that might help with the work and get Hollis back into her home.

"We're not giving up," Sullivan said. "We're talking with anybody and everybody about solutions to this situation, but the condition of the property is a challenge."

After hearing about her longtime friend's eviction, Pollian Cheeks, 68, offered Hollis a room at her home within a mile of Hollis' house. Hollis, who once taught Cheeks in Sunday school at St. Philip's Lutheran Church, agreed to the invitation and has been staying at Cheeks' house in the meantime.

"Polly's just as nice to me as anybody could be. She goes out of her way to help me," Hollis said, holding back tears. "It's just like living at home, but it's not my home."

Hollis's son took out the reverse mortgage for the $32,000 assessed value of the property, an option that HUD permits for the elderly. HUD took control of the mortgage after the amount paid to the family exceeded the value of the house in 2006.

plantman
Jan 23rd, 2012, 06:29 AM
Oct 3, 3011...Not only once but twice :facepalm:

Why would she want to go home? Sounds like she was livin' in squallor.

Halardfan
Jan 23rd, 2012, 08:25 AM

She had lived there 60 years it says, it was her home. Neither of us know the true extent of the problems but hopefully action can be taken to make the place liveable and get her home ASAP.

it-girl
Jan 23rd, 2012, 08:33 AM
What has the world come to when a 101 year old gets evicted? After a certain age this kind of thing just should not happen.

Vartan
Jan 23rd, 2012, 10:01 AM
:sobbing: I hate how elderly are treated.

Mistress of Evil
Jan 23rd, 2012, 10:57 AM
:sobbing: I hate how elderly are treated.

Yet you walk right through begging grannies as if they ain't there. :D

Vartan
Jan 23rd, 2012, 11:05 AM
I did not just walk by :hysteric:

gulzhan
Jan 23rd, 2012, 11:27 AM
How can anyone make a decision on eviction of a 101 years old?! This is so abnormal I can't even find words. Who cares if there were legal grounds for that eviction?! Even lawyers and judges and bankers should stay human.

Infiniti2001
Jan 23rd, 2012, 12:49 PM

Only you :rolleyes: Meanwhile, she's lived there for 60 years for fucks sake. The bastards in charge have no hearts:help:

plantman
Jan 23rd, 2012, 05:37 PM
Only you :rolleyes: Meanwhile, she's lived there for 60 years for fucks sake. The bastards in charge have no hearts:help:

Not a word about the deadbeat son, just put the blame on everyone else! Go figure

Infiniti2001
Jan 23rd, 2012, 06:08 PM
Not a word about the deadbeat son, just put the blame on everyone else! Go figure

You're such a judgemental prig :rolleyes: :help:

antonella
Jan 23rd, 2012, 06:47 PM
So they lived in a home for 65 years and it wasn’t paid for? Sounds like the son con his Mom into a loan or something. And mortgages don't go beyond 30 years.

plantman
Jan 23rd, 2012, 07:42 PM
You're such a judgemental prig :rolleyes: :help:

Warren Hollis, said he didn't pay the bill for several years and disregarded eviction notices.

"I kept it from her because I didn't want to worry her," Warren Hollis told WXYZ-TV for a report that aired Monday night. "I was just so sure it wasn't going to happen."

Perhaps he was awaiting Barry's help. :tape:

mykarma
Jan 23rd, 2012, 11:02 PM
Warren Hollis, said he didn't pay the bill for several years and disregarded eviction notices.

"I kept it from her because I didn't want to worry her," Warren Hollis told WXYZ-TV for a report that aired Monday night. "I was just so sure it wasn't going to happen."

Perhaps he was awaiting Barry's help. :tape:
Whether you believe it or not, karma is a bitch.

~CANUCK~
Jan 23rd, 2012, 11:31 PM
You guys are getting mad at the wrong person here. It clearly states that her son took out a reverse mortgage on the house and then didn't keep up with the payments. If you want to roast someone it should be her son, for taking out a new loan on the house and not paying for it.

plantman
Jan 23rd, 2012, 11:52 PM
You guys are getting mad at the wrong person here. It clearly states that her son took out a reverse mortgage on the house and then didn't keep up with the payments. If you want to roast someone it should be her son, for taking out a new loan on the house and not paying for it.

Exactly!

Helen Lawson
Jan 24th, 2012, 12:46 AM
I have seen in my business old people taken advantage of by children or others on reverse mortgages. You don't have to make mortgage payments and can live there forever, but you have to pay stuff like taxes and other things and maintain the house. These old people have paid off houses and get conned by family and this happens. It sounds like she might be better off with her friend if the place is that unlivable.

mykarma
Jan 24th, 2012, 03:06 AM
I have seen in my business old people taken advantage of by children or others on reverse mortgages. You don't have to make mortgage payments and can live there forever, but you have to pay stuff like taxes and other things and maintain the house. These old people have paid off houses and get conned by family and this happens. It sounds like she might be better off with her friend if the place is that unlivable.
You're correct but I'm afraid that if she can't move into her home that she's had for so long it'll kill her. She doesn't have that long anyway so I hope some good Samaritans get together and fix the house for her. It's just to sad.