PDA

View Full Version : AFRICAN CUP OF NATIONS, Cote D'Ivoire Prohibitive Favorite - (UPDATE) Zambia Wins

tennisbum79
Jan 21st, 2012, 04:58 PM
The competition starts today.

This is a version of a "dream team" in an African football competition

All signs point to Ivory Coast triumph

Ivory Coast is the top-ranked team in Africa, it’s anchored by the continent’s best player and boosted by a perfect run in qualifying, and it’s also the favorite to win the African Cup of Nations

AP, Thursday 19 Jan 2012

http://english.ahram.org.eg/Media/News/2012/1/19/2012-634625761541479909-147.jpg

Ivory Coast's striker Didier Drogba and midfielder Yaya Toure (Photo: AFP)

The star-studded squad, which has underperformed in the past, now has to prove its No. 1 ranking.
Without an African title for 20 years and following disappointing performances at the last two Cup of Nations and the 2010 World Cup, Ivory Coast is approaching a last-chance scenario for some its leading players—especially Chelsea striker Didier Drogba.

The 33-year-old forward who has so often led the Elephants’ charge at the African Cup won’t have a better chance to claim a continental title with former winners Egypt, Cameroon, Nigeria and South Africa all absent.
Drogba leads an impressive forward line for Ivory Coast, alongside Chelsea teammate Salomon Kalou and Arsenal winger Gervinho. Fellow veteran Kolo Toure forms the heart of the defense.
Yet Ivory Coast’s success may depend on whether Kolo’s younger brother, midfielder Yaya Toure, can take his dominant form for English Premier League team Manchester City onto the fields in Gabon and Equatorial Guinea.
Yaya Toure was voted Africa’s 2011 player of the year and there’s little argument that he is currently the continent’s outstanding player. He anchors the impressive lineup, which includes players from the top leagues in England, France and Germany.

But as Ivory Coast has discovered before with its recent failures, culminating in a surprising quarterfinal exit at the 2010 tournament, Africa’s championship doesn’t always suit the Europe-based stars.
“We hope this year will be our year,” Yaya Toure said. “It’s always difficult. We fell three times. It is so difficult. We have all the players playing in Europe. We know Africa is different, the weather, the fields.

“We have to fire. Quality is not enough to win the African Cup of Nations. If you speak about quality, the Ivory Coast has fantastic quality. We need the fighting spirit because you know Africa is so difficult, so hard.”
Kolo Toure conceded Ivory Coast had undoubtedly “struggled” at the Cup of Nations, despite its talented group of players.
After the failure at the African Cup in Angola and a first-round exit at the 2010 World Cup, Ivory Coast turned to former international Francois Zahoui to coach the squad after a string of foreign managers.
That appeared to be the right decision as under Zahoui the Ivorians produced a perfect qualifying campaign for the African Cup, winning six out of six games to head to the tournament as the form team—as well as the top-ranked team—in Africa.

Warmup wins over Tunisia and Libya in the final run-in to the African Cup underlined Ivory Coast’s status as obvious favorite for a first continental title since its only previous success in 1992. The expectation is great.
“The pressure is normal,” Kolo Toure said, denying the favorites tag would weigh down the Ivorians. “Every time Ivory Coast plays a tournament everybody expects us to be the winning the team. For us, the pressure is normal. We are relaxed. We have prepared for the tournament well. We are ready to go there and make a show.”

Drogba may not have many more African Cups left, while Kolo Toure is also heading toward the end of his career. They are part of a strong generation for Ivory Coast that has not lived up to its promise yet in international football— another heavy load for the squad to carry.
“I’m 30 years old and most of the team are 30. For us, we just need to now win this tournament,” Kolo Toure said. “That is the only thing missing in our record. We have been in the World Cup twice. We know winning World Cup is difficult. If we don’t win (the African Cup) it will bad thing for us.”

Ivory Coast will be boosted by their tournament group, which appears easier than that of main title rival Ghana.
The Elephants would expect to beat Angola, Burkina Faso and Sudan in Group B, while Ghana has to deal with a dangerous Mali team in Group D alongside Botswana and Guinea, another tricky customer which beat out Nigeria in qualifying.

But as the top-ranked team and the favorite—and without big guns Egypt, Cameroon and Nigeria—Ivory Coast also knows that it is the main target for the other teams. Everyone will be going all out to beat Ivory Coast.
“We have to respect everyone and play our best and that is the only way we can win the competition,” Kalou said. “We are working. That is reason why we are here. We want to win the competition. We have to be ready to sacrifice all our energy, our time to go to the end.
“The only way of putting ourselves in trouble is not paying attention to a team.”

Ivory Coast opens against Sudan, then faces Burkina Faso and Angola, and will surprise many if it doesn’t ultimately make the trip to Libreville for the final on Feb. 12. Another failure would almost certainly be a bigger shock than the previous ones.
(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online sports on Twitter: @AO_Sports (http://twitter.com/#%21/AO_Sports))

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/6/54/32133/Sports/Africa/All-signs-point-to-Ivory-Coast-triumph.aspx

Quarter Finals – ¼ de finale
25. ZAMBIA vs. SUDAN 04/02/201 17H:00 Bata
26. COTE D'IVOIRE vs. GUINEA EQ. 04/02/2012 20H:00 Malabo
27. GABON vs. MALI 05/02/2012 17H:00 Libreville
28. GHANA vs. TUNISIA 05/02/2012 20H:00 Franceville

Semi-Finals - ½ Finale
29. Win. 25 vs. Win. 28 08/02/2012 17H:00 Bata
30. Win. 27 vs. Win. 26 08/02/2012 20H:00 Libreville

3rd Place match – Match de classement
31. Loser 29 vs. loser 30 11/02/2012 20H:00 Malabo

Final/Finale
32. Win. 29 v Win. 30 12/02/2012 20H:00 Libreville

tennisbum79
Jan 21st, 2012, 05:07 PM
Didier Drogba magic

iYASj4tcFeQ&feature=related

The Witch-king
Jan 21st, 2012, 06:36 PM
what do you mean by prohibited favourite

was watching libya vs equitorial (sp??) guinea. EQG were robbed of a goal :armed::mad:

azdaja
Jan 21st, 2012, 07:07 PM
was watching libya vs equitorial (sp??) guinea. EQG were robbed of a goal :armed::mad:
i saw only 5 minutes of the game and that was when this happened. horrible decision by the ref :o horrible goal keeping as well, though :help:

i would like ghana to win this tournament.

tennisbum79
Jan 21st, 2012, 07:11 PM
what do you mean by prohibited favourite

A prohibitive favorite is one so likely to win as to discourage others from competing.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_the_phrase_prohibitive_favorite_winners_ mean#ixzz1k7pzpnTt

where are you watching from?
In the US or Europe?

PS
You screen name Mensah sounds like a name from Ghana, Togo or Benin

tennisbum79
Jan 21st, 2012, 07:13 PM
i saw only 5 minutes of the game and that was when this happened. horrible decision by the ref :o horrible goal keeping as well, though :help:

i would like ghana to win this tournament.
Where are you watching from?

azdaja
Jan 21st, 2012, 07:26 PM
Where are you watching from?
austria.

normally i would support nigeria because of a friend of mine, but since they are not there i'm going with the african team i think deserve it most.

tennisbum79
Jan 21st, 2012, 07:30 PM
austria.

normally i would support nigeria because of a friend of mine, but since they are not there i'm going with the african team i think deserve it most.
Cote d'Ivoire deserves it the most, they have come short the last 6 years.

Well, I am biased because I am originally from there.

I can't find a livestream to watch the games.

azdaja
Jan 21st, 2012, 08:30 PM
equatorial guinea got their goal and the win in the end.

Cote d'Ivoire deserves it the most, they have come short the last 6 years.

Well, I am biased because I am originally from there.
the ivorians don't deserve it since they are still making the same mistake that africans teams love to make - use a cheap trainer in the qualifying and get an expensive one for the main tournament. to be fair, at the world cup they failed because they were in the group of death, but still. this loser policy needs to be punished, sorry.

I can't find a livestream to watch the games.
http://www.sportlemon.tv, for example ;)

tennisbum79
Jan 21st, 2012, 08:47 PM
the ivorians don't deserve it since they are still making the same mistake that africans teams love to make - use a cheap trainer in the qualifying and get an expensive one for the main tournament. to be fair, at the world cup they failed because they were in the group of death, but still. this loser policy needs to be punished, sorry.

http://www.sportlemon.tv, for example ;)

Sadly, that has been true for a long time, even when African national teams had majority players from local club.
As an African, it very disturbing to me that they would pay way more money for an European coach who spent only a couple of months with the team and has really no interest in getting a good result for he'll leave as soon as the competition is over.

As an African, it is disturbing and embarrassing and the same time. We have some of the players in Europe now, and yet our national team has underachieved for 6 years now.
In my opinion, local coach do as good a job if not better than European coaches who are like mercenaries, going from an African country to another, regardless of their record.

However, this time around, Cote d'Ivoire has decided to keep the our local coach. He had a perfect record in qualifying rounds, so why not?

azdaja
Jan 21st, 2012, 09:08 PM
Sadly, that has been true for a long time, even when African national teams had majority players from local club.
As an African, it very disturbing to me that they would pay way more money for an European coach who spent only a couple of months with the team and has really no interest in getting a good result for he'll leave as soon as the competition is over.

As an African, it is disturbing and embarrassing and the same time. We have some of the players in Europe now, and yet our national team has underachieved for 6 years now.
In my opinion, local coach do as good a job if not better than European coaches who are like mercenaries, going from an African country to another, regardless of their record.

However, this time around, Cote d'Ivoire has decided to keep the our local coach. He had a perfect record in qualifying round, so why not?
there is nothing wrong with using foreign coaches. european tams do it all the time. it's more about using them for the entire campaign, for years.

senagal losing to zambia :oh:

tennisbum79
Jan 21st, 2012, 09:26 PM
there is nothing wrong with using foreign coaches. european tams do it all the time. it's more about using them for the entire campaign, for years.

You don't understand, it has reached a point where fans ( in Cote D'Ivoire) get concerned if the coach of the national team is not European, but they will gladly accept the local coach during the preliminaries.

senagal losing to zambia :oh:

Yes, I am surprised.

Zambia wearing Cote D'Ivoire jerseys:)

tennisbum79
Jan 21st, 2012, 09:32 PM
Minute 74 : Zambia 2 - Senegal 1

tennisbum79
Jan 21st, 2012, 09:52 PM
Final score: Zambia 2 - Senegal 1

Halardfan
Jan 22nd, 2012, 12:03 AM
Hope the Toure brothers have a good tournament, stay healthy and come back to Man City in good form. Yaya Toure has been immense for us this season so far.

tennisbum79
Jan 22nd, 2012, 12:32 AM
Hope the Toure brothers have a good tournament, stay healthy and come back to Man City in good form. Yaya Toure has been immense for us this season so far.
We, their countrymen are losing patience with the team.
It is full of great individual talents who shine for their club in Europe, but they have underperformed as a group for their country.

The criticism is muted, but it is there. If they don't bring the cup this time, especially with no Nigeria, No Cameroon, no Egypt, the criticism will get louder.

*Nefertiti*
Jan 22nd, 2012, 01:28 PM
I am so glad Egypt isn't playing. I just dislike our team and the players for many reasons, and I am so happy to see their arrogant stupid asses outside the competition.
I hope Cote D'Ivoire or Morocco wins.

tennisbum79
Jan 22nd, 2012, 06:12 PM
Cote d'Ivoire had a lackluster performance.

In fact, Sudan had a better performance.

azdaja
Jan 22nd, 2012, 08:01 PM
angola get their first win ugly.

miffedmax
Jan 22nd, 2012, 09:41 PM
Pitiful lack of coverage in the US, of course. We do get decent coverage of Europe and South America, but nothing on Africa or Asia.

tennisbum79
Jan 22nd, 2012, 09:49 PM
Pitiful lack of coverage in the US, of course. We do get decent coverage of Europe and South America, but nothing on Africa or Asia.
I have not even seen a mention of it on ESPN.
I have not checked the Spanish channels, they use to provide some coverage.
Al Jazeera US is providing coverage but their link does not work all the time.

tennisbum79
Jan 26th, 2012, 11:24 PM
Cote D'Ivoire 2 - Burkina Faso 0

African Cup of Nations wrap: Ivory Coast into last eight

26 January 2012

Ivory Coast maintained their 100 percent record at the 2012 African Cup of Nations with a 2-0 win over Burkina Faso on Thursday.
The win guarantees Ivory Coast a berth in the quarter-finals in Equatorial Guinea and Gabon, while Burkina Faso have been eliminated from the tournament after failing to secure a point from their opening two Group B matches.

Salomon Kalou scored the first goal for the Ivorians with a left-footed shot after a cross from Didier Drogba that was tipped forward by Yaya Toure on 16 minutes.
Chelsea striker Drogba beat his man on the right flanks and sent a dangerous ball into the area, which was touched on by Toure before Kalou rifled it home on the volley.
Burkina Faso had their chances to equalise, including striking the crossbar in the second half, but their good work amounted to nought when Bakary Kone's attempted clearance in the 82nd minute went horribly wrong and ended up in the back of his own net.

Earlier, Angola maintained their unbeaten record in Group B after playing out a 2-2 draw with Sudan in Malabo.
Manucho twice gave Angola the lead, only for Mohamed Bashir to equalise on both occasions to keep Sudan's slim knockout stage hopes alive.
The match was just starting to settle when Sudan defender Najm Eldin Abdullah took a heavy touch at the back and allowed Manucho to snatch the ball and drive forward before lashing a well-placed strike into the bottom left corner after five minutes.

Sudan recovered from the setback well, however, and were rewarded through a goal in the 32nd minute.
Mudathir El Tahir took advantage of acres of space down the right wing to drive forward and whip an excellent cross into the box, where Bashir shrugged off the challenge of two defenders to glance a header into the far corner.

The second half started in the same vein as the first period, with Angola grabbing another early goal.
Porto striker Djalma Campos showed impressive trickery to cut inside from the left, only to be fouled by the trailing leg of Hamad Nizar, and Manucho stepped up to dispatch the resulting penalty.

Sudan were not to be denied though, and a error from Angola defender Jose Vunguidica gifted possession to Bashir, who lashed home a half-volley from 10 yards out.
Ivory Coast lead Group B with six points, ahead of Angola (4), Sudan (1) and Burkina Faso (0).

Source: http://www.soccerway.com/news/2012/January/26/african-cup-of-nations-wrap-ivory-coast-into-last-eight/

tennisbum79
Feb 3rd, 2012, 10:24 PM
Knocked out pahse to start this weekend.

Ivory Coast perfoming under expectattion so far is to meet one of the co-host, Equatorial Guinea.

Anxiety on both sides, Cote d'Ivoire and the host would have preferred to meet in the final, but here were are, someone has to win

tennisbum79
Feb 4th, 2012, 04:05 AM
Surprising resilient Zambia and Sudan have their change advance.

Crucial quarter finals for African Cup of Nations, CAN 2012

The 2012 Africa Cup of Nations has reached its most grueling and exciting knockout stage with all remaining eight nations eyeing the prestigious trophy.

Zambia vs Sudan:
Zambian coach, Herve Renard whose side takes on Sudan during the quarter finals of Africa Cup of Nation says people should not be surprised by his charges advancing to the last eight.
Southern Africa's remaining representatives, The Zambian Chipolopolos, ended their group stage battle with seven points, one more than their Group A hosts Equatorial Guinea.

"Well done for Zambia. Maybe it was a surprise for some people but not for us...It was a difficult target; now we have to concentrate and go to the semifinal" Renard told the Zambia media.
Victory over Sudan on Saturday will take Zambia into Afcon/CAN 2012 semi-finals for the first time in 16 years.

Zambia desperately want to win the Cup of Nations for the first time in Gabon, in honour of their 1993 national squad - which perished when a plane carrying them crashed into the Atlantic soon after refueling in Libreville, killing all 30 on passengers on board.

Sudan coach Mohamed Abdalla recognised the danger his team face when he told journalists that "Zambia are very fast - they're well organised, but we have time to prepare tactically and physically for this game,"
This is the first time in 42 years that the horn of Africa country is reaching the quarterfinal stage.

Sudan won the seventh Africa Cup of Nations in 1970 as host, qualified in 1976, then suffered through a 32-year exile before its next trip, a disastrous affair in Ghana in which the Desert Hawks lost all three games and failed to register a single goal.

Equatorial Guinea vs Ivory Coast:
Equatorial Guinea, by their standards have done really well to emerge from a competitive looking Group A as runners up to Zambia at the expense of Senegal and Libya.
They sealed a quarter final place by winning their first two matches, 1-0 against Libya and 2-1 against Senegal with the winners coming in the dying moments of both games.
However, on Saturday they face a star studded Ivory Coast (Côte d'Ivoire) who have not conceded a goal so far. Equatorial Guinea's run in the tournament could come to a screeching halt.

miffedmax
Feb 4th, 2012, 04:20 AM
Surprised to Senegal out. Sounds like Group A was the Group of Death, though.

tennisbum79
Feb 4th, 2012, 04:22 AM
As originally from Ivory Coast, I can tell you there tremedous pressure to win from the fan at home.

Because the teams hs been so good for long time, and has not won the cup since 1992, local comedians have developed a way to cope with the disappointment over years by telling jokes how tean gives away victotiries to "better" deserving teams.
The other back story is the country has been going some political turmoil the last 6 years, a win here will go a long way to lift the country's spirits.

Equatorial Guinea face favourite Ivory Coast in African Cup of Nations quarters

MALABO:

Equatorial Guinea (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Equatorial-Guinea) is gearing up for the biggest match in the nation's footballing history against tournament favourite Ivory Coast (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Ivory-Coast) in the African Cup of Nations (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Africa-Cup-of-Nations) quarterfinal on Saturday.

Ivory Coast, Africa's top-ranked national side, boasts some of the world's top players in Didier Drogba, Yaya Toure and Gervinho.

In contrast, Equatorial Guinea has a squad of journeymen drawn from the lower leagues in Spain, the Brazilian regional league (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Brazilian-regional-league), Turkey (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Turkey) and Oman (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Oman).

Known as Nzalang Nacional, or "National Lightning", Equatorial Guinea is the lowest ranked team in the tournament, has never played in a major tournament before and only qualified this time round by virtue of hosting the cup with neighbour Gabon (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Gabon).

Considering the mismatch on paper, a win for the tiny co-host would rate among the biggest shocks in African football (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Football) history.

Nonetheless, the team has taken full advantage of playing in front of packed home crowds so far to earn its berth in the quarterfinals at the expense of heavily fancied Senegal (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Senegal) and Libya (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Libya) from Group A.

The team sealed its place in the last eight with a stoppage-time winner against Senegal from fullback David Alvarez -- a stunning strike from long distance that flew into the top corner to snatch a 2-1 win.

That goal led fans to think anything was possible, though the players themselves are still pinching themselves.

"I couldn't believe it," Alvarez said. "When the ball came to me I was just thinking about controlling it well and getting a shot in. I didn't even see the ball hit the net, I just turned round to celebrate because I knew it was going in. You're just filled with all this rage and joy."

Equatorial Guinea's build-up to the quarterfinals has focused on an organized defensive unit forming the springboard for quick counterattacks.

The co-host has had nothing to lose so far, but the tension finally broke to the surface as the team trained Wednesday when captain Juvenal Edjogo-Owono and midfielder Ben Konate had to be pulled apart by teammates after a heated argument about a mislaid pass.

On Friday, a handful of young fans climbed on an abandoned car to catch a glimpse of the team's closed-door training session at a small stadium in the center of Malabo. Some of the youngsters climbed over a wall to help retrieve wayward shots. Nobody seemed to mind the security breach and players posed for photographs after training finished, apparently delighted by the uncustomary attention.

Tellingly, Equatorial Guinea spent much the session practicing set pieces and penalties.

The atmosphere changed when Ivory Coast arrived at the same venue for its final practice just as the Equatorial Guinea players were leaving.

Drogba took a few minutes to shake hands and pose for pictures, but the home fans were soon ushered out of the ground as the Ivory Coast players started training by forming a ring round the center circle and joining hands in prayer.

Equatorial Guinea defender Rui Da Gracia, who plays in the Spanish third tier, said the difference in expectations and the desire of the home players to make the most of the limelight could work in the team's favour.

"It's the biggest match we've ever played. Appearing in the African Cup of Nations is spectacular and we've got nothing to lose," he said. "We might be the host, but Ivory Coast are the favourites and everybody expects them to win."

"They're a very famous team, but we can just enjoy ourselves," said Iban Iyanga, who plays his football in the Canary Islands with Las Palmas, a club in the Spanish second tier. "We have already beaten some big names in this tournament," he added.

Ominously, Ivory Coast has failed to find top form so far, despite claiming three straight wins without conceding a goal in the group stage.

Equatorial Guinea coach Gilson Paulo is hoping his detailed preparation will help bridge the gap.

"We are up against a team with a lot of quality but we will be trying to win," he said. "Otherwise what is the point of being here?"

source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/football/top-stories/Equatorial-Guinea-face-favourite-Ivory-Coast-in-African-Cup-of-Nations-quarters/articleshow/11748291.cms

tennisbum79
Feb 4th, 2012, 04:32 AM
Ivory Coast = Cote d'Ivoire (French, the country first language is French)

The name Ivory Coast was the name generally used by Englisgh speackers, but about 15 years ago, the government let it known to the international community that it prefers to be called by its French name.
The translation in English, Spanish (Costa de Marfil) and other languages makes it difficult to reognize the country.

tennisbum79
Feb 4th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Today's 1/4 Final Matches
11:00AM EST Zambia vs Sudan
02:00PM EST Cote d'Ivoire vs Equatorial Guinea

See my signature for live stream

For today's matches only: http://www.livesoccertv.com/competitions/international/africa-cup-of-nations/

tennisbum79
Feb 4th, 2012, 04:37 PM
2nd half, Zambia leads Sudan 2-0 ( 1-0 1st half)
Sundan paly at 10-man after getting a red card in halfway 2nd half

Zambia now dominating the game

tennisbum79
Feb 4th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Zambia - Sudan leads 3-0

tennisbum79
Feb 4th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Final
Zambia - Sudan 3-0

Zmabia advances to semi-final

tennisbum79
Feb 4th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Quarter Finals – ¼ de finale
25. ZAMBIA vs. SUDAN 04/02/201 17H:00 Bata
26. COTE D'IVOIRE vs. GUINEA EQ. 04/02/2012 20H:00 Malabo
27. GABON vs. MALI 05/02/2012 17H:00 Libreville
28. GHANA vs. TUNISIA 05/02/2012 20H:00 Franceville

Semi-Finals - ½ Finale
29. Win. 25 vs. Win. 28 08/02/2012 17H:00 Bata
30. Win. 27 vs. Win. 26 08/02/2012 20H:00 Libreville

31. Loser 29 vs. loser 30 11/02/2012 20H:00 Malabo

Final/Finale
32. Win. 29 v Win. 30 12/02/2012 20H:00 Libreville

tennisbum79
Feb 4th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Cote d'Ivoire leads 1-0, Drogba scores
Drodgba missed a penalty kick earlier

tennisbum79
Feb 4th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Final
Cote d'Ivoire - Equatorial Guinea 3- 0
Drogba: 2 goals
Yaya Toure: 1 goal

Ivory Coast Vs. Equatorial Guinea, 2012 Africa Cup Of Nations: Elephants Cruise Into Semifinals (http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2012/2/4/2771422/ivory-coast-vs-equatorial-guinea-2012-africa-cup-of-nations-final-score-report/in/2534808)

Nobody really expected Equatorial Guinea to do well against the Ivory Coast (http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/fifa/teams/ivory-coast) in their Africa Cup of Nations quarterfinal, but then again, nobody really expected the co-hosts to make it this far anyway. The Elephants might have won all three of their group stage matches, but they've yet to really fire on all three cylinders and show the world just what makes them a class above most teams at the tournament.

That was the story of the first half as well, where star striker Didier Drogba (http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/fifa/players/110411/didier-drogba) missed a penalty as Eq. Guinea gave just as good as they got, regularly threatening Boubacar Barry's net. Drogba made up for his miss by blowing up Lauren Doe and Rui and finishing inside Danilo's near post ten minutes before halftime, but the goal didn't seem to deflate Eq. Guinea, who were still fighting hard well into the second half.

Drogba's second, however, was a killer. The big man sent in an absolutely brilliant header from a harmless looking free kick with 70 minutes gone, and from that point on the Ivory Coast ran rampant. Yaya Toure (http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/epl/players/112176/yaya-toure) managed to make it 3-0 with a wonderful free kick that swerved its way off the upright and in to put a gloss on the scoreline, and the Elephants ultimately cruised into the semifinal against Zambia in style. That's four wins in a row to start this tournament for the Ivory Coast, and you'd have to put them as favourites to win it all at this point. Eq. Guinea can be very proud of themselves for fighting so hard, but ultimately it was nowhere near enough to trouble Drogba, Toure and company

The Witch-king
Feb 4th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Haven't really watched any games recently. Nice to see Zambia in the semis, I remember when they were the powerhouse in African football. Definitely rooting for them.

tennisbum79
Feb 5th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Today 1/4 Final

Mali-Gabon 0-0, 1st half

tennisbum79
Feb 5th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Very exciting match between Gabon and Mali.
No score yet, but very fast paced actions filled match

tennisbum79
Feb 5th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Co-host team Gabon scores.
Gabon- Mali 1 -0

Very exciting match

tennisbum79
Feb 5th, 2012, 04:44 PM
82 minute, Mali's Maiga scores. We are all tied up

Gabon Panthers 1 - Mali Eagles 1

tennisbum79
Feb 5th, 2012, 04:56 PM
End of 90 minutes regulation

Panthers - Eagles 1-1

We are going to overtime
2 halves of 15 minutes each.
If still tied, we go to penalty kicks, stating with 5 for each team
If still tied, we go sudden death penalty kicks

What exciting match this has been.

Actions filled, fast paced match between 2 aggressive and offense minded teams

tennisbum79
Feb 5th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Still tie at end of overtime.
Now penalty kicks

tennisbum79
Feb 5th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Panthers missed 4th kick

tennisbum79
Feb 5th, 2012, 05:46 PM
It is over for he Panthers of Gabon
Eagles of Mali wins penalty kick 5-4

They will meet The Elephants of Cote d'Ivoire in semi-final

tennisbum79
Feb 5th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Next quarter final

Ghana Black Stars vs Tunisia

Both teams may wears black arm bands today.
Ghana to pay tribute to one of their teammate's mother, who dies this week; but the player decided to continue playing.
Tunisia, to honor those who died in football violence in Egypt earlier this week

tennisbum79
Feb 5th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Ghana 1 - Tunisia 0

tennisbum79
Feb 5th, 2012, 06:43 PM
All tied up.
Ghana - Tunisia 1-1

miffedmax
Feb 5th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Two blowouts and two nailbiters.

tennisbum79
Feb 5th, 2012, 07:40 PM
For the matches I have seen, Gabon - Mali has been the best so far.
Too someone had to lose.

Although Cote d'Ivoire has winning head-to-head against Mali, this will be a very contested affair in the semi.

tennisbum79
Feb 5th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Hey, waht is going on?

Replacing Lena by someone else in your avatar?

You are not miffedmax w/o a pictorial of Lena in your house

azdaja
Feb 5th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Surprised to Senegal out. Sounds like Group A was the Group of Death, though.
senegal are so overrated. you don't live from history and african football is moving on.

tennisbum79
Feb 5th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Ghana - Tunisia tied 1-1 after 90 minutes
On to overtime

tennisbum79
Feb 5th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Ghana scores on a blunder from Tunisia goalkeeper

2-1 Ghana

tennisbum79
Feb 5th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Start of 2nd half of overtime, Black Stars still lead 2-1

miffedmax
Feb 5th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Hey, waht is going on?

Replacing Lena by someone else in your avatar?

You are not miffedmax w/o a pictorial of Lena in your house

I have a Lena banner, though. So I'm giving Lo-La a chance.

tennisbum79
Feb 5th, 2012, 08:38 PM
It is all over, Ghana wins it 2-1 after 120 minutes
The face Zambia in the 2nd semi final.

3 teams from West Africa in the final 4

Ghana, Mali and Cote d'Ivoire, all neighbors to each other

Cassius
Feb 5th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Glad Zambia have made it to the semi-finals, a pity Gabon went out though.

Hoping for a Mali-Zambia final! :D

tennisbum79
Feb 5th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Glad Zambia have made it to the semi-finals, a pity Gabon went out though.

Hoping for a Mali-Zambia final! :D

You should know Mali has not fared well against Cote d'Ivoire the last couple of years.

tennisbum79
Feb 5th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Portrait of Gervihno with testimony from his teammates and officials

u5JfQiD6_p0

The Witch-king
Feb 6th, 2012, 04:25 AM
Who do you think will win between Ghana and Zambia?

hablo
Feb 6th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Allez les Éléphants!!! :bounce:

tennisbum79
Feb 6th, 2012, 07:51 PM
I give the edge to Ghana, but Zambia is on an emotional high in this tournament.

The entire Gambian national team, the best the country has ever fielded, perished in 1993 in a plane crash, near Libreville, the same area where the semi-final will take place.
This generation has a lot riding its shoulder, the entire country's hope to win the cup for that team in 1993.

On of the other hand, Ghana will be playing with a heavy heart. One player lost his mother a couple of days ago, but elected to continue to play and see to it that Ghana goes as far as possible.

As for Cote d'Ivoire, which will meet the winner of Ghana-Zambia if advances, the pressure from the high expectations couldn't heavier.
The country, the fans, government officials, the players themselves , all consider anything short of final victory as a major disappointment.

Most football experts from Africa and Europe have all picked Les Elephants to finally win it this year, after having come so close several times their last few participations.
They also have the best team on paper in Chelsea's Drogba and Kalou, Manchester City's Yaya Toure and his brother Kolo, Arsenal's Gervihno and a host of others playing in European top leagues and Russia.

Very interesting semi-final

tennisbum79
Feb 6th, 2012, 07:59 PM
The tragic story of the 1993 Zambian National team which perished in a plane crash , near Libreville Gabon.

The 1993 Zambia national football team air disaster occurred in the late evening of 27 April 1993 when a Zambian Air Force (http://www.tennisforum.com/wiki/Zambian_Air_Force) Buffalo DHC-5D (http://www.tennisforum.com/wiki/De_Havilland_Canada_DHC-5_Buffalo) (reg: AF-319) ditched into the Atlantic Ocean (http://www.tennisforum.com/wiki/Atlantic_Ocean) about 500 metres (547 yards) offshore from near Libreville (http://www.tennisforum.com/wiki/Libreville), Gabon (http://www.tennisforum.com/wiki/Gabon). The flight was carrying most of the Zambian national football team (http://www.tennisforum.com/wiki/Zambia_national_football_team) to a FIFA World Cup Qualifier (http://www.tennisforum.com/wiki/1994_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_%28CAF%29) against Senegal (http://www.tennisforum.com/wiki/Senegal_national_football_team) in Dakar (http://www.tennisforum.com/wiki/Dakar). All 25 passengers and five crew members were killed. A Gabonese official investigation into the accident concluded that the pilot had shut down the wrong engine after a fire. The investigation found that pilot fatigue and an instrument error had contributed to the accident.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Zambia_national_football_team_air_disaster

azdaja
Feb 6th, 2012, 08:20 PM
any other result other than ghana going through would be a huge surprise.

tennisbum79
Feb 6th, 2012, 08:50 PM
I agree, Ghana has the experience, but Zambia the emotional high (because of what happened in 1993) going into this semi.

On paper, Ghana should win, but no cup has ever been won on paper, and that is why they have to play the matches on the field.
And once in the pitch, anything can happen.

There will be 2 very exciting semi-finals.

tennisbum79
Feb 6th, 2012, 10:56 PM
One more analyst picks Cote d'Ivoire to win the cup.

More pressure

Ghanaian sports analyst tips Ivory Coast to win AFCON 2012

http://photos.myjoyonline.com/photos/news/201109/142059311_650601.jpg

La Cote d’Ivoire has been strongly tipped to win this year’s African Cup of Nations tournament currently underway in Equatorial Guinea and Gabon.

According to Thomas Moreaux, a Sports Analyst, the caliber of players the Ivorians have and their playing skills attest to the fact that the Elephants can win the cup.

Giving post quarter-finals analysis of the ongoing tournament on Adom FM’s Dwaso Nsem on Monday, Thomas Moreaux insisted that La Cote d’Ivoire has proved beyond reasonable doubts that they will the AFCON.

The last time the Ivoirians won the AFCCON Cup was in 1992 when they defeated Ghana in a record 11-10 penalty shootout.

On the performance of the Black Stars, Thomas Moreaux commended the Ayew brothers for their fighting spirit which largely helped Ghana to reach the semi finals.

He noted that the two brothers did well by ensuring that the Black Stars got the needed victory against the Carthage Eagles of Tunisia.

He however cautioned that Ghana’s goalie, Adams Kwarasay, needs to be psyched up more in order to build his confidence and deliver well.

Looking forward, Thomas Moreaux warned that the head coach of Ghana’s semifinal opponents, Zambia, is a Physical Trainer who has trained the players on the physical level and the Black Stars players should expect a physically tasking match.

The ‘Chipolopolo Boys’ head coach Renard Herve worked previously with the Black Stars as Assistant to Serbian Duykovic.

Meanwhile, Kofi Appiah who is also a Sports Analyst however said Ghana reached the Semi-final stage by dint of hard work and was optimistic the Stars will bring the cup home.

He however urged Goran Stevanovic to be more tactical with the Zambian encounter because it will not be easy to walk over the Chipolopolo Boys.

Source: http://sports.myjoyonline.com/pages/news/201202/81087.php

miffedmax
Feb 7th, 2012, 02:11 AM
The tragic story of the 1993 Zambian National team which perished in a plane crash , near Libreville Gabon.

I remember that all too well.

The Witch-king
Feb 7th, 2012, 06:12 AM
You screen name Mensah sounds like a name from Ghana, Togo or Benin

It's Ghanaian in this case ;)

I give the edge to Ghana, but Zambia is on an emotional high in this tournament.

Awww. I hope Zed wins anyway. When are the semifinals anyway?:confused:

tennisbum79
Feb 7th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Awww. I hope Zed wins anyway. When are the semifinals anyway?:confused:

Tomorrow, here is the full program

Semi-Finals - ½ Finale
29. Ghana vs Zambia 08/02/2012 at 17H:00 Bata, Guinee Equatoriale
30. Cote d'Ivoire vs. Mali 08/02/2012 at 20H:00 Libreville, Gabon

31. Loser 29 vs. loser 30 11/02/2012 at 20H:00 Malabo , Guinee Equatoriale

Final/Finale
32. Win. 29 v Win. 30 12/02/2012 at 20H:00 Libreville, Gabon

Times are GMT + 5

Invisible Fan
Feb 8th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Good luck Yaya, Kolo and Cote D'Ivoire. Cote D'Ivoire vs Ghana in the final please :)

azdaja
Feb 8th, 2012, 04:55 PM
and the huge surprise happens.

FT Zambia 1 - 0 Ghana

tennisbum79
Feb 8th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Zambia upsets Ghana to advance to the final 1-0.

Zambia to meet winner of the other semi final, Code d'Ivoire - Mali

tennisbum79
Feb 8th, 2012, 04:59 PM
and the huge surprise happens.

FT Zambia 1 - 0 Ghana
Yeah, the ultimate result that count is on the field, not paper.

Cote d'Ivoire better watch out

currie84
Feb 8th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Wasnt Gyan Asamoah the one who missed the last minute paenalty against Uruaguay?He missed one again.fail!

Ramos
Feb 8th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Zambia really are a pleasant surprise this tournament. Nice goal by Mayuka.

It's kind of a shame they were drawn in such a tough qualifying group for the next WC (facing Ghana again).

pov
Feb 8th, 2012, 05:07 PM
The competition starts today.

I take it you mean "Prohibitive Favorite"?

tennisbum79
Feb 8th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Wasnt Gyan Asamoah the one who missed the last minute paenalty against Uruaguay?He missed one again.fail!
I only saw some of the last 45 minutes, but he looked resigned when he was taken out in the 2nd half

tennisbum79
Feb 8th, 2012, 05:10 PM
I take it you mean "Prohibitive Favorite"?
yes, thanks.

You like football? I mean, the game where you actually use your feet on the ball.

hablo
Feb 8th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Any livestreams for the Ivory Coast match? :help:

tennisbum79
Feb 8th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Any livestreams for the Ivory Coast match? :help:
Regarde dans ma signature, la derniere ligne

It ya plusieurs links, en differentes langues, le premier link est en Englais, je pense

tennisbum79
Feb 8th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Cote d'Ivoire wins, beating Mali 1-0.

Good match form both teams. I was nervous as hell.

The Elephants had some many chances throughout the match, but fail to score.

Mali put up a valiant effort.

edificio
Feb 8th, 2012, 08:19 PM
So Cote d'Ivoire is still the favorite to win now, even more prohibitive favorite. I wouldn't have picked Zambia for the final, but I didn't really follow carefully.

tennisbum79
Feb 8th, 2012, 08:30 PM
So Cote d'Ivoire is still the favorite to win now, even more prohibitive favorite. I wouldn't have picked Zambia for the final, but I didn't really follow carefully.
Yes, but as I said in earlier posts, you've got to win it in the pitch, not on paper.

Zambia is playing with lot of emotions, determination and resolve because they are dedicating this tournament to 1993 national team, which perished in plane crash off the shore of Libreville, the city where the final will take place.

The players are also young and not hung up or intimidated by the reputation of of stars filled Cote d'Ivoire.

The Witch-king
Feb 9th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Wow! That was a great result for Zambia yesterday. I was holding on to a pillow towards the end. The last few minutes felt like they ages! :lol:

I hope the favourites are "prohibited" from winning on Sunday (?) :devil:

miffedmax
Feb 9th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Yes, as a matter of fact there is a small, petty part of me that takes pleasure in Ghana losing.

tennisbum79
Feb 9th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Wow! That was a great result for Zambia yesterday. I was holding on to a pillow towards the end. The last few minutes felt like they ages! :lol:

I hope the favourites are "prohibited" from winning on Sunday (?) :devil:
It was corrected, the Prohibitive favorite will now WIN:)

Even though Cote d'Ivoire has had the best of Ghana the last few years, The Black Stars have always been a very tough match up for The Elephants.

What happened to your regional pride!! West Africa

tennisbum79
Feb 10th, 2012, 02:18 AM
Africa's National football team names dominated by names of powerful and clever regional animals names

Here is a sample, in a random order

Senegal = Teranga Lions
Cameroon =Indomitable Lions
Nigeria = Super Eagles
Mali = Eagles
Tunisia = Eagles of Carthage
Cote d'Ivoire = Elephants
Gabon = Panthers
Congo = Leopards
Benin = Squirrels
Bostwana = Zebras
Burkina Faso = The Stallions
Sudan = Falcons of Jediane
Morocco = Lions of the Atlas
Algeria = Desert Foxes
Angola = Black Antelopes
Egypt = The Pharaohs
Togo= The Sparrowhawks

Halardfan
Feb 10th, 2012, 03:05 AM
Africa's National football teams name dominated by names of powerful and clever regional animal names

Here is a sample, in a random order

Some great names there. Benin really drew the short straw when picking their name though! ;)

Got everything crossed that the Toure brothers come unscathed through the final. We've missed them at City. Yaya in particular is irreplacable.

The Witch-king
Feb 10th, 2012, 06:59 AM

Even though Cote d'Ivoire has had the best of Ghana the last few years, The Black Stars have always been a very tough match up for The Elephants.

:lol: I never thought of it that way...

No but seriously it would be nice to see the underdogs win

Some great names there. Benin really drew the short straw when picking their name though! ;)

Got everything crossed that the Toure brothers come unscathed through the final. We've missed them at City. Yaya in particular is irreplacable.
:spit::rolls::haha:

Indomitable Lions is my favourite name:worship:. It's would be good for my next username too

tennisbum79
Feb 10th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Most popular name
Lions (3) - Senegal, Cameroon and Morocco
Eagles (3) - Nigeria, Mali, Tunisia

I am surprised Panther was used only once.

For Cote D' Ivoire, the name Elephants was inevitable.
It is implied in the country's name by, it is everywhere on official documents, stationary, passports, momuments

miffedmax
Feb 10th, 2012, 04:37 PM
CONCACAAF names are lame.

USA-The Yanks (what else?)
Mexico-El Tri
Costa Rica--Ticos (which is more or less like "Yanks")
Jamaica--Reggae Boyz
Trinidad & Tobago: Socca Warriors
Honduras: Los Catrachos or El Bicolores
El Salvador: La Selecta
Canada: The Canucks/Les Rouges

The Witch-king
Feb 10th, 2012, 04:40 PM
^ I like those

azdaja
Feb 10th, 2012, 05:26 PM
i like the nickname soca warriors and i liked having them at the world cup in germany in 2006 :worship: soca is great music too :dance:

european nicknames are usually based on national symbols or kit colours. to me the best name is that of the finish national team - huuhkajat (eagle owls). it comes from an eagle owl which interrupted a game in helsinki which finland eventually won.

ZMKGuoLGvo8

tennisbum79
Feb 10th, 2012, 07:08 PM

Mexico-El Tri
Jamaica--Reggae Boyz
I agree, not much thought behind it those names
Much like South Africa's Bafana Bafana ( boys boys) for mean team; Banyana Banyana (girls girls) for women team

Zambia nick name would never have made in the US, given the sensitivity of people with guns and bullets.
Chipolopolo or The Copper Bullets, was taken because Zambia is a major of producer of Copper.

tennisbum79
Feb 10th, 2012, 08:47 PM
i like the nickname soca warriors and i liked having them at the world cup in germany in 2006 :worship: soca is great music too :dance:

european nicknames are usually based on national symbols or kit colours. to me the best name is that of the finish national team - huuhkajat (eagle owls). it comes from an eagle owl which interrupted a game in helsinki which finland eventually won.

ZMKGuoLGvo8

That us cute.
it must have a good 5 minutes.

tennisbum79
Feb 10th, 2012, 09:03 PM
An american view of the final.. and they think it is a compelling one.

I just wished they had provided a coverage for these stories could inspire some american youngsters. ( I read Klinsman is looking for gifted young American players and he intends to focus his effort in Spanish neighborhood. He has his work cut out for him, amid the immigration debate and parents keeping their kids home for fear of being humiliate at school it won't be easy)

The Zambian story is well known and the most compelling; but Cote d'Ivoire also has its own story.
The country has been going through lot of political turmoil for the last 6-7 years.
Through all that, the Elephants results have remained excellent and the team has been a rallying amid all the trouble among politicians.

Yes all the payers are based abroad, but the FIF ( Federation Ivorienne de Football), the governing of football in the country is still charge of running team.
And not once during these years of troubles and instability, has the team forfeited a tournament or a match.

Either Way, a Compelling End to African Cup

By ROB HUGHES (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/h/rob_hughes/index.html?inline=nyt-per)

Published: February 10, 2012
Share (http://www.tennisforum.com/#)Cose (http://www.tennisforum.com/#)
Digg (http://www.tennisforum.com/#)
Reddit (http://www.tennisforum.com/#)
Tumblr (http://www.tennisforum.com/#)
Per (http://www.tennisforum.com/#)LONDON — Whichever country captures the African Cup of Nations in Libreville, Gabon, this weekend, the human story will be remarkable, even by African stan LONDON — Whichever country captures the African Cup of Nations in Libreville, Gabon, this weekend, the human story will be remarkable, even by African standards.

If Zambia, the complete outsider for this tournament, were to win the final Sunday, it would feel like something supernatural, something that was meant to be. For it was the very coastline where, 19 years ago, Zambia lost almost its entire national team when the military plane in which they were traveling went down in the sea.

There were no survivors. Only Kalusha Bwalya, a Zambian employed in the Netherlands and thus making his own way to that intended match, was left of the Zambian stars of that day. Yet somehow, the country found replacements to go all the way to the next African Cup in 1994, though it lost 2-1 to Nigeria on the big night.

Taking the current players to Libreville, joining them on a pilgrimage to honor the memory of the team that died, the Zambia coach, the Frenchman Hervé Renard, told them: “The 12 million people of Zambia are waiting for us to go back to Libreville. We just have to think of them and to play for them. And if a team of substitutes was able to reach the final in 1994, why not us?”

And why not go that extra distance and win it?
One big reason is the team that waits for them Sunday in the Stade de l’Amitié. Ivory Coast is no ordinary team. Its captain, Didier Drogba, now of Chelsea, is among a handful of strikers whose profile would be recognizable anywhere in the world.

Drogba, nearing 34 years of age, wants this trophy so much you can see it in his effort, and sense it in his joy when he scores.
He is long in the tooth. He has enough of a fortune to build a hospital in the country he left behind. But his time to be a champion of Africa might come Sunday, or never.

Yet Drogba’s personal story, a child of Abidjan who at age 5 followed an uncle who was a professional soccer player in France, is not the normal route out of Africa for this Ivory Coast group.
The nucleus of the team — 6 of the starting 11 — came through an academy set up in Abidjan nearly 20 years ago by Jean-Marc Guillou. Now age 66, and still coaching in Africa, still searching for talents by offering trials for 5,000 youngsters a year, Guillou was a midfielder for France in the 1978 World Cup.

His influence as a coach helped inspire Arsène Wenger, the manager of Arsenal. And one of the players shining for Ivory Coast at this Nations Cup happens to be Gervinho, the winger who plays for Wenger in London.
It was Gervinho who scored the goal that put the Elephants, as the Ivory Coast team is called, through to the final.
Drogba had hit a post, Yaya Touré had hit a post, but the ball would not go in against Mali in the semifinal until Gervinho struck. It came moments before halftime, and it came out of nothing.

Gervinho was sharper to the ball near the halfway line than his Malian opponent. Then, more of a whippet than an elephant, Gervinho ran with the ball faster than any man could catch him.
“I wanted to pass the ball,” he later said, “but I couldn’t. Anyway I got my chance, and I was O.K..”
O.K. is possibly African for brilliant. Gervinho ran out of options, saw the goalie coming off his line, and curved the ball around him.

Once Ivory Coast had scored in any of its five games at this tournament, it won the contest. In other matches it had been Drogba or Touré, the giant midfielder from Manchester City, who notched the goals.

But after that, the Ivorian defense, drilled by coach François Zahoui after previous attempts to win the trophy have foundered on carelessness, has so far not conceded a single goal in 2012.
The burden of a team of household names, seven of them playing for English clubs, is telling on Ivory Coast. “There were signs of stress,” coach Zahoui admitted. “And I showed signs of stress because, with the failures we’ve had in the past, we understand that we haven’t won it yet.”

Indeed, they have not. Had the Ivorians watched Zambia, a 40-1 underdog when this tournament started last month, they would have seen a team of comparative unknowns work their way to the final, sometimes on sheer spirit of togtherness.
“We came through beneath the radar,” said Renard, the Zambia coach.

People may have known about the country’s tragic loss 19 years ago, but the kind of knowledge that is easy to compile by video of the Ivory Coast stars is not so available of Zambians.
Emmanuel Mayuka — the 21-year-old who came off the substitute’s bench to score the only goal of the semifinal Wednesday in Bata, Equatorial Guinea — is in fact the only Zambia player employed by a European team, the Swiss club Young Boys of Bern.

His was a bolt from the blue. He received the ball with his back to the goal 18 yards out. A Ghanaian defender, though close enough to touch Mayuka, was outwitted when the Zambian suddenly turned and hit the ball with a low right foot shot around the startled goalkeeper.

Mayuka celebrated like a boy. He launched into joyous somersaults, and when he finally came down to earth he seemed surprised by what he had done. Zambia, on the backfoot for most of the semifinal, doggedly resisting Ghanaian attacks, might have won through fate — or it might have been hunger.

Not only does this team, with all of its players still domiciled in Africa except for Mayuka and two others who play in the Chinese league, run for themselves. They are told by their coach and mentor to run for the team of 1993, the team that died over Gabon, where the final is to be held Sunday.

The school of Ivory Coast is better known. But maybe Zambians believe their name is already on the Cup.

source: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/11/sports/soccer/11iht-soccer11.html

tennisbum79
Feb 11th, 2012, 08:06 PM
3rd place match in Malabo.
Mali Eagles beat Ghana Black Stars 2-0.

Well deserved victory for Mali

tennisbum79
Feb 11th, 2012, 08:23 PM
A view of the final by a Zambia news outlet, Times of Zambia

Zambia/Cote d'Ivoire: Battle Royal - Chipolopolo v the Elephants

http://allafrica.com/download/pic/main/main/csiid/00190559:fc10694bc33ba613083ff2b25ab49de2:arc360x2 00:w360:us1.jpg African Footballer of the Year and Manchester City midfielder Yaya Touré (19) is one of Cote d'Ivoire's up-and-coming players. (Photo Courtesy Barry Aldworth/BackpagePix (http://www.backpagepix.co.za/))

THE air is pregnant with expectation; the excitement is palpable.
There is an acute sense of anxiety and even veritable apprehension in some quarters about the impending clash between the two giants pitied against meach other--Zambia's 'Chipolopolo' (copper bullets) and 'The Elephants' of Ivory Coast.

The Orange Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) final slated for this Sunday has all the ingredients of a battle royal.
Both sides have highly gifted and experienced players who should serve out an exciting game of football.
In the semi-final triumph over four-time champions Ghana on Wednesday, the Zambia National Soccer Team proved beyond doubt that they had the tenacity, resilience and ingenuity to overcome all odds.

The Zambian defence showed true grit and character in the game against the Ghanaians and managed to fend off incessant attacks in the first half, including a fantastic penalty save by the Zambian goalkeeper, Kennedy Mweene.

The change in tactical approach in the second half by Zambia's coach, Herve Renard, raised the tempo of the match --a switch which proved invaluable as the Zambians tenaciously fought back and eventually outwitted the Ghanaians via a superb strike by substitute Emmanuel Mayuka.

Zambia will be playing in the Nations Cup final for the third time.
The country has lost two finals before, against Zaire (now Congo DR) Leopards in Cairo, Egypt, in 1974 and against Nigeria in Tunisia in 1994. The two defeats were bitter pills to swallow, but there are many lessons to be learnt from the two failures.

Zambians are not weighed down by adversity; in fact it tends to spur them to do even better.
The final of 1994 against Nigeria was an improbable feat, coming against a backdrop of a national disaster of April 28, 1993 when the country lost its entire national soccer team, officials and one journalist in a plane crash off the coast of Libreville, Gabon.

Following the demise of that team, nobody expected Zambia to rise, literally, from the ashes and overcome all odds to reach the final.
But that is exactly what Zambia did--the new team and a handful of old players--played with passion and gave the country renewed hope after a disaster of grotesque proportions had dampened the nation's mood.

Finals are not won by the faint-hearted, nor are they won by over-confident and complacent players who are more prone to err because they will have underrated their opponents.

Finals are won by real warriors, and Zambians have proved that at this year's tournament.
Finals are won by hard work, resilience, tenacity and the ability to think beyond the coach's tactics.
Again, this was best exemplified in the tactics employed in the game against the Libyans, played on a treacherous, water-logged pitch which summoned all the ingenuity in the players to keep the ball moving -- the vagaries of the weather notwithstanding.

The excitement which has gripped the nation is palpable.
The reason is simple: Zambia has never won the nation's cup despite its indisputable prowess at the game.
Two finals ended in failure in the past, but there should be no excuse this time around.

As the hours tick away, and the third final featuring Zambia beckons, the sad memories of the Gabon disaster are rekindled, for it was on that country's soil where the remains of the national team were strewn on the shores of the Atlantic coast in Libreville.
Zambia needs a win on Sunday to banish the sad memories of the Gabon disaster and honour the heroes who perished in that country enroute to Senegal for the joint Africa Cup and World Cup qualifier.

All considered, Sunday's game should be a memorable final which will leave indelible memories on the minds of all Zambians. The boys and coach Renard have acquitted themselves well thus far and deserve commendation and support from the Government, the corporate world and the public.

FAZ president Kalusha Bwalya and his team also deserve a pat on the back for building a formidable team.

source:http://allafrica.com/stories/201202100721.html

hablo
Feb 11th, 2012, 09:54 PM

Mexico-El Tri
Jamaica--Reggae Boyz

I've never heard of les rouges in re: Canada. :scratch:

edit: just googled it... you're right :tape:
(but honestly I don't think it's used much...)

hablo
Feb 11th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Indomitable Lions is my favourite name:worship:. It's would be good for my next username too

I like that one too ;)

tennisbum79
Feb 11th, 2012, 10:36 PM
I've never heard of les rouges in re: Canada. :scratch:
edit: just googled it... you're right :tape:
(but honestly I don't think it's used much...)
The Americas tend to favor colors of their flag or uniforms

Argentina =The White and Sky-Blue
Bolivia =The Green
Brazil = The Green/Gold and Green; but also Litte Cananries and Selection(Seleção) . Seleção is most used
Chile = The Red
Ecuador = Yellows or Tricolour
Guatemala = The Bueand White
Haiti = Red and Blue
Honduras = Bi-color
Mexico = Tricolor
Nicaragua = Whites and Blues
Paraguay - Red-White ( I guess the did not want to sound like Peru)
Peru = Red & White
Puerto Rico = Blue Hurricane
Uruguay = Sky Blue
Venezuela = The Burgundy

hablo
Feb 11th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Interesting but I've never heard les Rouges for Canada; the Canucks yes.

Maybe other Canadians can unlighten us. ;)

France also uses colours: les bleus. :p

tennisbum79
Feb 11th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Interesting but I've never heard les Rouges for Canada; the Canucks yes.

Maybe other Canadians can unlighten us. ;)
How popular is football in Canada?
What do they call their hockey team? Same name?

Interesting France also uses colours: les bleus. :p
Also, Tricolor, which used to be more popular than Les Beus.
In fact, I think few of the South American countries that user tricolor model it after the French National team.

Another observation regarding the Americas.
The Caribbean nations, unsurprisingly, have adopted a decidedly irreverent attitude toward the whole thing of national team names

Jamaica = Reggae Boyz for men, Reggae Girlz for men
Saint Kitts and Nevis = Sugar Boys
Saint Vincent and the Grenadine = Vincy Heat
Trnidad & Tobaggo = Soca Warriors
Guadeloupe = Guys of Guadeloupe ( Les Gars De Guadeloupe )
Bahamas = Rake 'n Scrape Boys
British Virgin Islands = Nature Boyz

Among the African nations, only South African has gone the Caesarian way, by calling their team Bafana Bafana (Boys Boys) form mean ; and Banyana Banyana (Girls Girls) for women .

hablo
Feb 12th, 2012, 04:26 AM
How popular is football in Canada?
What do they call their hockey team? Same name?

Also, Tricolor, which used to be more popular than Les Beus.
Infact, I think few of the South american countrie that user tricolor model it after the French National team.

Another observation regarding the Americas.
The Carribean nations, unsurprisingly, have adopted a decidedly irreverent attitude toward the whole thing of national team names

Among the African nations, only South African has gone the Caribean way, by calling their team Bafana Bafana (Boys Boys) form mean ; and Banyana Banyana (Girls Girls) for women .
Football isn't popular in Canada.
I can't recall how we call our Canadian national hockey team. Can't think of a nickname of any kind. :scratch: I'll have to get back to you on that. :tape:
That's true about tricolore. We also use it for the Habs (aka Montreal Canadiens) sometimes

tennisbum79
Feb 12th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Cote d'Ivoire golden generation, last chance

Golden generation ready to deliver on potential

IVORY COAST’S golden generation are one game away from their consecration as African football’s best team after progressing efficiently to tomorrow’s African Nations Cup final, but they must still get past dangerous Zambia.

After several successive tournaments in which they failed to live up to predictions of glory, the Ivorians start as huge favourites to win the Nations Cup in Libreville.

Underdogs Zambia themselves exceeded expectations in reaching the final with a largely unknown squad, only one of whom plays at a European club.

Their semi-final win over Ghana marked the second major scalp Zambia had taken at the tournament after an opening-day win over Senegal, another of the pre-tournament favourites.

Ivory Coast’s cautious, sometimes uninspiring, approach has attracted criticism but the insistence on putting a priority on defence has paid dividends for coach Francois Zahoui.
The Ivorians have yet to concede a goal in the tournament, co-hosted by Equatorial Guinea and Gabon, and have won all five matches en route to the final.

The performance contrasts with the disastrous defensive lapses that cost the country dearly in the last two tournaments which they had also been expected to win.They also possess a potent line-up of individual attacking talent, as striker Solomon Kalou emphasised after their semi-final win.
“We are better organised than before and we have players who can score at any moment – Gervinho, Didier Drogba, myself. We can all make a difference,” said the Chelsea striker.
“It’s been a long wait to get back to the final,” added Kolo Toure, one of eight players from the team that lost on penalties to Egypt in the final six years ago.

“We now need to use this experience to win. It will mean so much to our country.”
Zambia had emerged “from under the radar”, said coach Herve Renard, who has demonstrated clever tactical planning at key moments in the tournament.

“We have to take this cup, this is an opportunity,” added captain Chris Katongo.
“This is the greatest moment ever a player can have to play in the final. It doesn’t come every day.”

Source:http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0211/1224311623325.html

http://u.goal.com/113000/113040hp2.jpg

hablo
Feb 12th, 2012, 05:49 PM
I hope that link works, tennisbum79... So nervous! :scared:

tennisbum79
Feb 12th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I hope that link works, tennisbum79... So nervous! :scared:
Did the link work?

hablo
Feb 12th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Yes, it's working. :kiss:

It's a little bit more choppy now but better than nothing.

Zambia is playing better! :hysteric:

tennisbum79
Feb 12th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Yes, it's working. :kiss:

It's a little bit more choppy now but better than nothing.

Zambia is playing better! :hysteric:
Yes, Zambia came out very relaxed and they are taking it to Cote D'Ivoire.
I still hope The Elephnats experience will win out

hablo
Feb 12th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Disappointing for Côte d'Ivoire. :o

Cilla
Feb 12th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Zambia win in the most unreal penalty shoot out! :eek: Congrats to them! Hard to take again for the Ivorians.

Never in doubt that Gervinho would miss. I, nor a single Arsenal fan on my twitter timeline believed he would score :facepalm: There's a reason why he was so far down the list :hysteric:

tennisbum79
Feb 12th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Congratulations to Zambia an well fought battle.
They deserve to win. They lost one of their best defenders, but brsuh it off and kept pushing.

As for Cote d'Iivoire, you have to win it on the pitch; it does not count to be superior on paper.
Thye had numrous chances (including a penalty) but did not capitalize on any of them.
I feel for the entire country.

azdaja
Feb 12th, 2012, 09:50 PM
zambia :worship:

Chris 84
Feb 12th, 2012, 09:58 PM
zambia :worship:

indeed :worship:

winning it in Libreville makes it even more special. very pleased for them :worship:

Ramos
Feb 12th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Wow. The script looks to come straight out of a movie for Zambia. 19 years after the crash they win the Africa Cup for the very first time in the city close to the location of the accident.

A bit disappointed for Ivory Coast though, still not able to capitalize on their golden generation. Their keeper went unbeaten for the entire tournament, must be frustrating.

miffedmax
Feb 13th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Amazing day for Zambia.

edificio
Feb 13th, 2012, 03:36 AM
I forgot to watch!

Well done, Zambia.

Diesel
Feb 13th, 2012, 04:22 AM
indeed :worship:

winning it in Libreville makes it even more special. very pleased for them :worship:

So emotional. I felt for Cote D'Ivoire but I am especially pleased with Zambia winning. It was very good final. From the first two minutes to the stressful penalty shootout - what a way to finish.

Halardfan
Feb 13th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Penalty shoot outs, when one's team is involved, are one of the most excruciating moments in sport, this towering anxiety and superstition overwhelms me at such times.

Mynarco
Feb 13th, 2012, 10:42 AM
oh no Drogba + Gervinho :facepalm:

Cassius
Feb 13th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Didn't see this thread until now lol

Anyway, a good tournament, with a massive feelgood ending, so happy Zambia won! :D

The Witch-king
Feb 13th, 2012, 05:21 PM

http://i51.tinypic.com/snl849.jpg

Unfortunately I missed the match. Sounds like it was a very exciting. I would have absolutely died during the penalties though!

The Witch-king
Feb 6th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Football isn't popular in Canada.
I can't recall how we call our Canadian national hockey team. Can't think of a nickname of any kind. :scratch: I'll have to get back to you on that. :tape:
That's true about tricolore. We also use it for the Habs (aka Montreal Canadiens) sometimes

no thread this year?