Adal
Jan 19th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Very touching indeed.

kwilliams
Jan 20th, 2012, 02:57 PM
:) Great video.

Dominic
Jan 20th, 2012, 09:24 PM
The last minute especially was so cute and touching.

Monica_Rules
Jan 20th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Great Video

Dave.
Jan 20th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Everyone should see this at least once.

Papillon.
Jan 22nd, 2012, 12:59 PM
I lost it when Ellen nearly did. :sad:

Amazing video.

Fighterpova
Jan 22nd, 2012, 01:47 PM
Beautiful video :awww:
Really, really beautiful :hugs:

Things are getting a lot better by every decade that goes by, but the truth is, we'll never be looked or treated the same way as straight people(at least not in our lifetime), because other people will always make that "barrier" on purpose.

We are judged because we were born like this, which is completely wrong, because in the end we are all people and sexual orientation shouldn't be that big of a deal in my opinion!!! It's just the same if someone judged you because you were a vegetarian or because you wear glasses :lol:

I hope people realize that some day...

Mikey.
Jan 22nd, 2012, 02:30 PM
That segment by Ellen always gets me. :tears: Nice vid.

The Dawntreader
Jan 22nd, 2012, 02:34 PM
Charlize Theron said it all, so eloquently. A worthy contribution. I have no idea what the Martin Luther King reference was all about though.

Fighterpova
Jan 22nd, 2012, 02:44 PM
Life for any gay out there isn't always the easiest, but it's very special. It's a different experience, we can see the world in different eyes, see things in another light and love someone on a different level. Somehow I now feel blessed to be born this way(even though I'm still in the process of getting fully used to it), so I hope it's an interesting ride.

When I came to TF I never dreamed that people here are so awesome and supportive and even though we have silly fights, it's moments like these that we are truly united!

Territory
Jan 22nd, 2012, 02:44 PM
Charlize Theron said it all, so eloquently. A worthy contribution. I have no idea what the Martin Luther King reference was all about though.

I think because the video was released on Martin Luther King Day.

The guy who made this video also made these classics:

kelUCEcdO8M
4dlYqPmK7uU

And runs the "Gays of the Week (http://www.youtube.com/gaysoftheweek)" channel featuring Miles Jai (http://www.youtube.com/redirect?q=http%3A%2F%2Fyoutube.com%2Fmilesjaiprod uctions&session_token=7AwtWH9QGnhTqtExSTN7Q1tIayN8MTMyNzMz MzQwN0AxMzI3MjQ3MDA3) who I think is awesome.

:hearts:

ToopsTame
Jan 22nd, 2012, 05:48 PM
I love Ryan James Yezak's videos but I'm going to be "that guy" and call him out for this documentary promo. It's too media/celebrity focused, and it's not very representative of women, trans and queers of color. It's still good, just not that inclusive.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jan 22nd, 2012, 06:14 PM
I love Ryan James Yezak's videos but I'm going to be "that guy" and call him out for this documentary promo. It's too media/celebrity focused, and it's not very representative of women, trans and queers of color. It's still good, just not that inclusive.

I agree, its not representative of the lesbian/trans/queer agenda at all. But he is a gay male and therefore showcasing the gay male point of view.

ampers&
Jan 22nd, 2012, 09:03 PM
It's too media/celebrity focused, and it's not very representative of women, trans and queers of color. It's still good, just not that inclusive.
This is the gay rights movement as a whole. I can't fully get on board when there is so much racial discrimination within the community itself. And then a lot of gays have the nerve to compare the movement to the civil rights movement when there are FAR more differences between the two than similarities. As evidenced by the divisions and prejudices within the community itself. So hypocritical and short-sighted.

With that said, I'm for equal rights across the board: racially, socially, gender, and sexual orientation. But I just can't with limited scope.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jan 22nd, 2012, 09:08 PM
I can't fully get on board when there is so much racial discrimination within the community itself. As evidenced by the divisions and prejudices within the community itself.

Can you elaborate please? All the communities have vile people who are for discrimination and inequality, gay communities have racist people, black communities have homophobic people so on and so forth. Its not right, but that doesn't mean you should judge everyone with the same glasses.

ToopsTame
Jan 22nd, 2012, 09:18 PM
This is the gay rights movement as a whole. I can't fully get on board when there is so much racial discrimination within the community itself. And then a lot of gays have the nerve to compare the movement to the civil rights movement when there are FAR more differences between the two than similarities. As evidenced by the divisions and prejudices within the community itself. So hypocritical and short-sighted.

With that said, I'm for equal rights across the board: racially, socially, gender, and sexual orientation. But I just can't with limited scope.

I agree but I don't think we should give up the whole movement to one group of people just because they have a lot of power now. There are parts of the community that are more inclusive and open minded and they/we need to work hard to be heard. We can't let those stereotyped Chelsea boiz who put "no spice, rice or chocolate, no fats, no femmes" on their grindr profiles define us.

Novichok
Jan 22nd, 2012, 09:33 PM
I agree but I don't think we should give up the whole movement to one group of people just because they have a lot of power now. There are parts of the community that are more inclusive and open minded and they/we need to work hard to be heard. We can't let those stereotyped Chelsea boiz who put "no spice, rice or chocolate, no fats, no femmes" on their grindr profiles define us.

It's more than just sexual exclusion. That doesn't bother me at all. I was really taken aback by the attacks on the black community after Proposition 8 passed. Although I was 17 at the time and was really naive about racial issues within the gay community.

But I think this is a good documentary.

ampers&
Jan 22nd, 2012, 09:50 PM
Can you elaborate please? All the communities have vile people who are for discrimination and inequality, gay communities have racist people, black communities have homophobic people so on and so forth. Its not right, but that doesn't mean you should judge everyone with the same glasses.
This isn't a judgment or opinion about the gay community in America. It's a FACT. And yes, I'm fully aware of prejudices across the board and how there are hateful people in any group (homophobia in the black community is terrible is some places), but that doesn't excuse or lesson the enormous faults in the gay rights movement. In my experience, gay white males are some of the most privileged and prejudiced people I've ever met and aren't even inclusive within the gay community. But then they turn around to the masses and preach love, respect, and understanding for their push for equality. It's a fallacy. There is a major division between white gays and minority gays and it's mainly because there are latent prejudices that go beyond the connection of a similar sexual orientation.
I agree but I don't think we should give up the whole movement to one group of people just because they have a lot of power now. There are parts of the community that are more inclusive and open minded and they/we need to work hard to be heard. We can't let those stereotyped Chelsea boiz who put "no spice, rice or chocolate, no fats, no femmes" on their grindr profiles define us.Like Novichok said, it's not only about sexual preferences. You can be attracted to a certain kind of person; specific physical characteristics...who cares. But when you EXCLUDE and STEREOTYPE people based those characteristics, then turn around and preach love, you have a major problem. But you're right, I'm definitely not giving up. It's just difficult for me to respect the movement currently. Hopefully things change sooner rather than later.

Territory
Jan 22nd, 2012, 09:59 PM
Re: this video, it's worth keeping in mind that,

(a) it's not a documentary per se, but it's just something Ryan put together to get support and funds for the *actual* documentary he wants to make. (And because he did such a great job, he's actually received like twice as much as he needed in donations)
(b) he's a completely independent filmmaker and raises all his own funds. His work are just home-made videos essentially - they just happen to be very good ones with high production values. I think that should be recognised and cut him some slack. He's just an enterprising guy who is passionate about equality for gay people.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jan 22nd, 2012, 10:45 PM
1) This isn't a judgment or opinion about the gay community in America. It's a FACT. 2) And yes, I'm fully aware of prejudices across the board and how there are hateful people in any group (homophobia in the black community is terrible is some places), but that doesn't excuse or lesson the enormous faults in the gay rights movement. In my experience, gay white males are some of the most privileged and prejudiced people I've ever met and aren't even inclusive within the gay community. But then they turn around to the masses and preach love, respect, and understanding for their push for equality. It's a fallacy. 3) There is a major division between white gays and minority gays and it's mainly because there are latent prejudices that go beyond the connection of a similar sexual orientation.

Thanks for explaining.

1) I am not debating about the fact that there is prejudice amongst some gay guys, what I called judgement was your statement that the gay community is short sighted and hypocritical for trying to relate to the civil right movement.

2) Exactly, it doesn't lessen the faults but what I want to understand a bit more is what warrants for the gays to being singled out like this. I am not going to single out any particular race or sexuality since I have suffered discrimination at the hands of many of them (being a mixed race gay guy).

3) I've had slightly mixed experience with that (as I pointed out earlier). I have suffered discrimination more at the hands of the people who belong to the one of the ethnicities I belong to accusing me of 'pretending' to be more of the other race. Most of the white gays I have come across have been either way too afraid to show their views on race or too immature and young for me to even be considered representative of that community. But then again, I am just trying to look at it through my personal experience and they don't necessarily paint an unbiased and correct picture, which is the reason I was asking you the questions.

Territory
Jan 22nd, 2012, 10:58 PM
This isn't a judgment or opinion about the gay community in America. It's a FACT.

...In my experience, gay white males are some of the most privileged and prejudiced people I've ever met and aren't even inclusive within the gay community. But then they turn around to the masses and preach love, respect, and understanding for their push for equality.

...when you EXCLUDE and STEREOTYPE people based those characteristics, then turn around and preach love, you have a major problem.

:lol: so I'm guessing you're not into preaching love, respect and understanding yourself? Wouldn't want that to contradict the stereotyping and hate going on here :sobbing:

Looking at the gay white males in this thread, no-one's been anything like what you describe. You hanging with the wrong homos, sister.

ampers&
Jan 23rd, 2012, 12:11 AM
2) Exactly, it doesn't lessen the faults but what I want to understand a bit more is what warrants for the gays to being singled out like this. I am not going to single out any particular race or sexuality since I have suffered discrimination at the hands of many of them (being a mixed race gay guy).This thread is about a documentary about gay rights which predominately focuses on the gay, white male struggle. If it focused on issues with homophobia in the black community, then I would have had opinions about that. If it focused more on lesbian gay culture, I would have had opinions about that as well. It's all about the context. I didn't mean to single out one group (white males) but wanted to to support my argument about discrimination based on my personal experiences.
3) I've had slightly mixed experience with that (as I pointed out earlier). I have suffered discrimination more at the hands of the gay people who belong to the one of the ethnicities I belong to accusing me of 'pretending' to be more of the other race. Most of the white gays I have come across have been either way too afraid to show their views on race or too immature and young for me to even be considered representative of that community. But then again, I am just trying to look at tho through my personal experience and they don't necessarily paint an unbiased and correct picture, which is the reason I was asking you the questions.
No, that's fine, I understand. Everyone's personal experiences aren't the same. I'm not basing the point of my arguments about the gay rights movement in America ("There is a major division between white gays and minority gays and it's mainly because there are latent prejudices that go beyond the connection of a similar sexual orientation...I can't fully get on board [the gay rights movement] when there is so much racial discrimination within the community itself.") on my experiences alone. Let me make that clear. This is based on studies, research, and the experiences of scores of others I know personally and through others. There are MAJOR problems with discrimination within the gay community and the lack of any representation there is for minority gays in the movement as evidenced by this video.
:lol: so I'm guessing you're not into preaching love, respect and understanding yourself? Wouldn't want that to contradict the stereotyping and hate going on here :sobbing:

Looking at the gay white males in this thread, no-one's been anything like what you describe. You hanging with the wrong homos, sister.

Are you American? Are you a member of the gay community? Do you have close, personal relationships with minorities who live within the gay community in America? Have you studied any of the current issues involved in gathering support for the gay community and equal rights in America?

If you can answer yes to any of the above and still think that I'm "stereotyping" and "hating" (shows limited comprehension skills on your part if that's what you gathered from my posts), then there are more problems in this movement than I realized. :o

Territory
Jan 23rd, 2012, 01:06 AM
@Miching~Mallecho

Sorry, I was a bit harsh in my comment. But I was reacting to your stereotyping of gay white males, which is a group I am a part of. It's not nice to be stereotyped, so I reacted poorly. (I wonder if your posts reflect a similar reaction against being stereotyped, so maybe we actually understand each other a little more than we realise?)

I also realise that the American context is different to the Australian one. And I actually share with you the frustrations of how so many white people don't understand that they have a priveledged place in society and that it's even more frustrating when you see gay people being discriminatory when they are part of a discriminated-against minority themselves! :weirdo:

But as a gay white male who does understand his privelege, and does his part to avoid excluding and stereotyping others, I'd like to put my hand up and say "we're not all like that" so please don't assume that we are.

I don't think Ryan's like that at heart either. He's a bit naive and idealistic, but his hearts in the right place.

Also, I'd like to reiterate: the video under discussion *isn't* Ryan's documentary. It's just a montage he put together in order to garner support for a documentary he wants to make. Perhaps we should reserve judgement until we see the *actual* documentary.

Lastly, I'm surprised that some of you are accepting of the sexual "exclusion" you see all over the place. I think it's ghastly. I really feel for my Asian friends in Australia who whenever they go on a gay dating website would encounter "No Asians" far too regularly. So rude! How hard is it to just say "my type is X" and leave at that. I wouldn't touch anyone who says "No type-X or type-Y" on their profile and have been known to call guys out for doing so...

ampers&
Jan 23rd, 2012, 01:56 AM
@Miching~Mallecho

Sorry, I was a bit harsh in my comment. But I was reacting to your stereotyping of gay white males, which is a group I am a part of. It's not nice to be stereotyped, so I reacted poorly. (I wonder if your posts reflect a similar reaction against being stereotyped, so maybe we actually understand each other a little more than we realise?)

I also realise that the American context is different to the Australian one. And I actually share with you the frustrations of how so many white people don't understand that they have a priveledged place in society and that it's even more frustrating when you see gay people being discriminatory when they are part of a discriminated-against minority themselves! :weirdo:

But as a gay white male who does understand his privelege, and does his part to avoid excluding and stereotyping others, I'd like to put my hand up and say "we're not all like that" so please don't assume that we are.

I don't think Ryan's like that at heart either. He's a bit naive and idealistic, but his hearts in the right place.

Also, I'd like to reiterate: the video under discussion *isn't* Ryan's documentary. It's just a montage he put together in order to garner support for a documentary he wants to make. Perhaps we should reserve judgement until we see the *actual* documentary.

Lastly, I'm surprised that some of you are accepting of the sexual "exclusion" you see all over the place. I think it's ghastly. I really feel for my Asian friends in Australia who whenever they go on a gay dating website would encounter "No Asians" far too regularly. So rude! How hard is it to just say "my type is X" and leave at that. I wouldn't touch anyone who says "No type-X or type-Y" on their profile and have been known to call guys out for doing so...
Yeah I definitely didn't mean to stereotype all white gay males. Some of my closest friends are white gay men (surprise!) and they are incredibly kind, thoughtful human beings for the most part, though they have been known to show preference inter-mixed with prejudices towards minorities. So yeah, I'm not saying all white gay men = prejudiced, but there are certainly enough within the gay community to take notice.

And yeah, I definitely think we have more in common than differences.

Expat
Jan 23rd, 2012, 05:06 PM
I think its not so much prejudice as it is differences in priorities. White gay men more or less are focused on gay marriage because for most of them daily existence isn't as much as a struggle if they are out whereas the minority gay finds it much more difficult to both come out and live a safe secure life within their community/jobs. For a minority gay marriage doesn't matter so much as for someone whose ideal version of life is a gay version of the white picket fence suburban family home. For gay minorities gay marriage while important probably comes below jobs (ENDA) or racial discrimination. That's not so much the issue with white gays. I may be wrong though. I am a minority gay but born into privilege so I kind of straddle the fine line here.

Dodoboy.
Jan 23rd, 2012, 10:21 PM
America has such a hatefilled history.

Justin
Jan 24th, 2012, 12:23 AM
Beautiful video :awww:
Really, really beautiful :hugs:

Things are getting a lot better by every decade that goes by, but the truth is, we'll never be looked or treated the same way as straight people(at least not in our lifetime), because other people will always make that "barrier" on purpose.

We are judged because we were born like this, which is completely wrong, because in the end we are all people and sexual orientation shouldn't be that big of a deal in my opinion!!! It's just the same if someone judged you because you were a vegetarian or because you wear glasses :lol:

I hope people realize that some day...

:confused:

Inger67
Jan 24th, 2012, 05:52 AM
That's a great video. Saw it awhile ago. Really touched me, and really well made.

That's one thing I haven't understood either, why can't we donate blood? Is it bad that I always lie about that question just to donate? It's absurd and in my opinion very discriminatory.

Is he trying to make an entire documentary movie about this? I would absolutely love to see it.

ToopsTame
Jan 24th, 2012, 08:33 AM
That's one thing I haven't understood either, why can't we donate blood? Is it bad that I always lie about that question just to donate? It's absurd and in my opinion very discriminatory.

Is he trying to make an entire documentary movie about this? I would absolutely love to see it.

I've thought about lying on the blood donation form too but I've never gone that far. If they think I am full of HIV and a high risk individual just because I sleep with the same sex then I don't see why I should go out of my way to help them.