PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft smart phone app...“Avoid The Ghetto”

plantman
Jan 19th, 2012, 02:21 AM
An in-development Microsoft smart phone app designed to help drivers and pedestrians avoid unsafe neighborhoods is proving controversial among some minority rights groups that find the software potentially discriminatory.

The as-of-yet unnamed product is being referred to as the “Avoid The Ghetto” app by those who are concerned with where it will guide users.

“I’m going to be up in arms about it if it happens,” said Dallas NAACP President Juanita Wallace.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/01/17/app-that-would-guide-users-away-from-high-crime-areas-proves-controversial/

Discriminatory...:lol: Leave it to the NAACP to make such a claim!

What's the big eff'n deal? Foreign business travelers & vacationers are going to welcome this app. Frankly I'm surprised it hasn't been developed before now.

Ellen Dawson
Jan 19th, 2012, 02:29 AM
:rolleyes: They totally missed the ep of RHOA where Sheree and Lawrence, who are both black, are driving through the "hood" and looking a little anxious only to arrrive at the lounge they were going to announcing that it was...wait for it..."in the ghetto". Whoops. :tape:

Stamp Paid
Jan 19th, 2012, 04:02 AM
Any foreign business traveler and vacationer driving through the ghetto is looking for drugs, lets be honest here. There are no services or amenities in these poor, minority neighborhoods that would attract tourists. And nobody is getting pulled out of their cars at red lights just for being in the wrong neighborhood. This is the United States, not Brazil. This program is being called discriminatory because it factors race and income level of residents into its determination of 'ghetto' neighborhoods, not just total number of crimes.

All this will do is point gentrifiers and Asian merchants to cheapest real estate. :lol:

Sally Struthers
Jan 19th, 2012, 04:19 AM
I think most people know where not to go anyway just from the looks of the surroundings :lol:

plantman
Jan 19th, 2012, 04:20 AM
Any foreign business traveler and vacationer driving through the ghetto is looking for drugs, lets be honest here. There are no services or amenities in these poor, minority neighborhoods that would attract tourists. And nobody is getting pulled out of their cars at red lights just for being in the wrong neighborhood. This is the United States, not Brazil. This program is being called discriminatory because it factors race and income level of residents into its determination of 'ghetto' neighborhoods, not just total number of crimes.

All this will do is point gentrifiers and Asian merchants to cheapest real estate. :lol:

It's my understanding that it's designed to help the person/persons avoid those neighborhoods, not guide them through it.

plantman
Jan 19th, 2012, 04:26 AM
I think most people know where not to go anyway just from the looks of the surroundings :lol:

Looks can be deceiving :shrug:

One can never be to careful these days!

Stamp Paid
Jan 19th, 2012, 04:26 AM
It's my understanding that it's designed to help the person/persons avoid those neighborhoods, not guide them through it.To/through, whatever. The point is that foreign tourists and vacationers don't happen upon unsafe neighborhoods by accident, they usually are there looking for drugs or prostitutes.

plantman
Jan 19th, 2012, 04:37 AM
To/through, whatever. The point is that foreign tourists and vacationers don't happen upon unsafe neighborhoods by accident, they usually are there looking for drugs or prostitutes.

Ok...If you say so...:lol:

Those dumbass tourist deserve what they get then. The other law abiding tourist/vacationers will have another tool in which to avoid those areas that are deemed unsafe.

NyCPsU
Jan 19th, 2012, 01:36 PM
To/through, whatever. The point is that foreign tourists and vacationers don't happen upon unsafe neighborhoods by accident, they usually are there looking for drugs or prostitutes.

Tell that to my friend who was driving in Atlantic City looking for a Bank of America ATM in an effort to avoid ATM fees (yes so lame I know) when he got lost and then the car he was a passenger in got shot at for no apparent reason and he took a bullet in the leg. I mean this is just one story but an app like this could be beneficial to people who don't know the area. I would however like to see the criteria being used. It should be soley dependent on crime rate, if it is really using other factors then I have a problem with it.

JN
Jan 19th, 2012, 02:28 PM

:lol:

This and that.

Ellery
Jan 19th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Tell that to my friend who was driving in Atlantic City looking for a Bank of America ATM in an effort to avoid ATM fees (yes so lame I know) when he got lost and then the car he was a passenger in got shot at for no apparent reason and he took a bullet in the leg. I mean this is just one story but an app like this could be beneficial to people who don't know the area. I would however like to see the criteria being used. It should be soley dependent on crime rate, if it is really using other factors then I have a problem with it.

yeah. My friend also had a mishap when she was travelling in Chicago I believe when she was younger. She was with her family, and her dad was driving through the city, trying to find a motel, but it was apparently really hard to find one. It was getting late and they finally found one, and the dad went in to ask how much for the night. Apparently the man just said, uh, we don't take families here. It took them a while to figure out he meant that "motel" was just for prostitutes. They quickly left the neighborhood :lol:

That said though, it's really up to travellers themselves to plan ahead better for travelling :shrug: Common sense.

pov
Jan 19th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Discriminatory...:lol: Leave it to the NAACP to make such a claim!

What's the big eff'n deal? Foreign business travelers & vacationers are going to welcome this app. Frankly I'm surprised it hasn't been developed before now.

Not that I agree with your perspective either but I'm still surprised how often AA activist groups reinforce the very stereotypes that they huff and puff about. A "ghetto" or an unsafe neighborhood in fact could be composed of people of any ethnicity.

plantman
Jan 19th, 2012, 03:02 PM
yeah. My friend also had a mishap when she was travelling in Chicago I believe when she was younger. She was with her family, and her dad was driving through the city, trying to find a motel, but it was apparently really hard to find one. It was getting late and they finally found one, and the dad went in to ask how much for the night. Apparently the man just said, uh, we don't take families here. It took them a while to figure out he meant that "motel" was just for prostitutes. They quickly left the neighborhood :lol:

That said though, it's really up to travellers themselves to plan ahead better for travelling :shrug: Common sense.

Planning is a good thing. Now folks will have another tool to use, to avoid an unguided tour through crime ridden neighborhoods.

pov
Jan 19th, 2012, 03:17 PM
:hearts:Ah. Good program! I hope it can be used in more things.
:facepalm:It's not exactly Particle Physics to get crime data and overlay it on a map.

plantman
Jan 19th, 2012, 03:21 PM
:facepalm:It's not exactly Particle Physics to get crime data and overlay it on a map.

With this new app that won't be necessary.

JN
Jan 19th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Not that I agree with your perspective either but I'm still surprised how often AA activist groups reinforce the very stereotypes that they huff and puff about. A "ghetto" or an unsafe neighborhood in fact could be composed of people of any ethnicity.

Who ever stated to the contrary? Discrimination towards anyone is discrimination towards everyone, regardless of race.

Stamp Paid
Jan 19th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Tell that to my friend who was driving in Atlantic City looking for a Bank of America ATM in an effort to avoid ATM fees (yes so lame I know) when he got lost and then the car he was a passenger in got shot at for no apparent reason and he took a bullet in the leg. I mean this is just one story but an app like this could be beneficial to people who don't know the area. I would however like to see the criteria being used. It should be soley dependent on crime rate, if it is really using other factors then I have a problem with it.Your friend is not a foreign traveller though, right? :lol: My point was solely about the safety of foreign tourists and vacationers, not American citizens. I live in Florida, the tourist capital of the country. Two European tourists recently just got shot in my part of the state while they were running on foot through a housing project at 2AM. They were looking for drugs obviously, because they weren't kidnapped and had no business in such an area so late at night. You hear more stories hear about violent crimes happening to tourists (at least in Florida) because they were up to no good, not because they got lost in the wrong neighborhood.

This app is problematic because crimes like domestic violence, theft, fraud, burglary, drug possession, and rape happen in most American neighborhoods, ghetto or not. This app will have to tabulate either racial composition or socioeconomic status into its determination of 'unsafe', which is pretty sad and very discriminatory.:tape:

miffedmax
Jan 19th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Oh noes! Now the rich tourists won't come to my neighborhood any more!

The problem with these is it's likely to be about as accurate as the "targeted marketing" that's determined I live in an inner-city, Hispanic, low-income neighborhood, even though I in fact live in a neighborhood that's about 50% white, 40% Hispanic, and 10% black, and most of the Hispanics who are may neighbors are 2nd or 3rd generation and speak about as much Spanish as I do. Yet we're all flooded with autocalls and direct mail and even e-mails aimed at lower income Hispanics.

Now, you walk about three blocks south, and most of the people there are lower income Hispanics. But the fact is in many mature American cities you can't just map out big chunks of city and label them "ghetto" the way you could in the '70s at the peak of urban blight, white flight, forced concentration of people in disasterous projects like Cabrini Green, etc.

I'm fairly certain-if the marketing stuff is any indication-you won't be able to drive into Dallas' CBD from the south, east or west without going through a "ghetto."

AjdeNate!
Jan 19th, 2012, 06:50 PM
I'd be offended if anyone actually had/used a Windows phone.

ico4498
Jan 19th, 2012, 06:54 PM
wonder if it would've kept James Byrd out of Jasper, Tx?

JN
Jan 20th, 2012, 07:44 PM
wonder if it would've kept James Byrd out of Jasper, Tx?

:worship:

JN
Jan 21st, 2012, 01:42 PM
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/9236/snoopnmartha.jpg

darrinbaker00
Jan 21st, 2012, 04:13 PM
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/9236/snoopnmartha.jpg

Baking brownies, coaching youth football.....what a horrible role model that Snoop Dogg is! :fiery:

miffedmax
Jan 22nd, 2012, 02:20 AM
Baking brownies, coaching youth football.....what a horrible role model that Snoop Dogg is! :fiery:

A fellow Lendl fan.

Ellen Dawson
Jan 24th, 2012, 10:20 PM
But some tourists WANT to visit the ghetto. :shrug:

the jamierbelyea
Jan 24th, 2012, 11:03 PM

The whole walking bong thing would be my biggest apprehension with the fellow.

This app is pretty ridiculous , but in some of the wealthiest cities the drop off is astounding. I remember feeling a bit uncomfortable when our tennis team got lost en route to the Yale campus, and wound up lost in the outskirts of New Haven.

Halardfan
Jan 25th, 2012, 09:18 AM
An app which maps out the high crime areas of a given city, is of some use, as long as it uses factual crime data.

If it just tells people to avoid area A just because of its racial make up then of course that would be wrong.

Calvin M.
Jan 26th, 2012, 12:51 AM
Oh noes! Now the rich tourists won't come to my neighborhood any more!

The problem with these is it's likely to be about as accurate as the "targeted marketing" that's determined I live in an inner-city, Hispanic, low-income neighborhood, even though I in fact live in a neighborhood that's about 50% white, 40% Hispanic, and 10% black, and most of the Hispanics who are may neighbors are 2nd or 3rd generation and speak about as much Spanish as I do. Yet we're all flooded with autocalls and direct mail and even e-mails aimed at lower income Hispanics.

Now, you walk about three blocks south, and most of the people there are lower income Hispanics. But the fact is in many mature American cities you can't just map out big chunks of city and label them "ghetto" the way you could in the '70s at the peak of urban blight, white flight, forced concentration of people in disasterous projects like Cabrini Green, etc.

I'm fairly certain-if the marketing stuff is any indication-you won't be able to drive into Dallas' CBD from the south, east or west without going through a "ghetto."

My immediate area is similar in population to where you live. And like you, 3 blocks in certain directions can land you in right in the middle of "urban blight". That being said, my lady and I spend a lot of time outdoors (even in the winter) and we're always amazed to see the European tourists (on foot) in the "hood". No fear, no backpacks worn backwards. All you see are fascinated faces and they stop to have lunch, snap pix of brownstones or take in a religious service. The American tourists, on the other hand, will go through Harlem...on those double decker tour buses. haha

duhcity
Jan 26th, 2012, 01:13 AM
Great example of what Max said: New Orleans. One block is ten million dollars homes, 2 blocks later are decidedly less quality housing units.

Stamp Paid
Jan 26th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Great example of what Max said: New Orleans. One block is ten million dollars homes, 2 blocks later are decidedly less quality housing units.
What major American city isn't like that though? :lol:

kris719
Jan 26th, 2012, 01:48 AM
this is hilarious