PDA

View Full Version : Random questions about Belgium

veryborednow
Nov 14th, 2002, 08:05 PM
So I'm back. Few things we didn't get/couldn't translate.

Te Koop = for sale?

Te Huur = ?

What's the white flage with the weird red shape on it?

What's the yellow flag with the black dragon on it?

What's the flag with I think yellow, blue and red which looked like a red sun with light blue and yellow rays coming off it?

Does Halloween go on for a week in Belgium, or is it held a week later, or do you guys use pumpkins with faces cut out of them as lamps and torches? Because they were everywhere. People carrying them around, they were in house windows and shop windows.

Are there any products with just french or just flemmish on them? Always tonnes of writing in 2 languages on all the products.

What's the brandname with the logo of a priest/bishop on it. We were given loads of chocolate and biscuits with it on, is ita welknown brand?

We were given chocolate every morning for breakfast - is that because we were tourists...?!

Are there any Belgians in Ypres? Or were they all indoors... ;)

Thanks.

per4ever
Nov 14th, 2002, 08:09 PM
te huur : for rent

white flag with the cock: the flag of wallonie
yellow flag with lion: the flemish flag

per4ever
Nov 14th, 2002, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by veryborednow
1.What's the flag with I think yellow, blue and red which looked like a red sun with light blue and yellow rays coming off it?

2.Does Halloween go on for a week in Belgium, or is it held a week later, or do you guys use pumpkins with faces cut out of them as lamps and torches? Because they were everywhere. People carrying them around, they were in house windows and shop windows.

3.Are there any products with just french or just flemmish on them? Always tonnes of writing in 2 languages on all the products.

4.What's the brandname with the logo of a priest/bishop on it. We were given loads of chocolate and biscuits with it on, is ita welknown brand?

5.We were given chocolate every morning for breakfast - is that because we were tourists...?!

6.Are there any Belgians in Ypres? Or were they all indoors... ;)

Thanks.

1. no idea :eek:
2. They try to make Halloween popular here, but not much succes yet
3. normally most is in french, dutch, english and german!!! Not many things are in just one language..may be handmade stuff
4. I have no idea :eek:
5. Yeah some people do, it's not a typical belgian breakfast, don't know if that even exists!
6. of course lol

fleemke≥
Nov 14th, 2002, 08:18 PM
So I'm back. Few things we didn't get/couldn't translate.

Te Koop = for sale?

Te Huur = ?

What's the yellow flag with the black dragon on it?

What's the flag with I think yellow, blue and red which looked like a red sun with light blue and yellow rays coming off it?

Does Halloween go on for a week in Belgium, or is it held a week later, or do you guys use pumpkins with faces cut out of them as lamps and torches? Because they were everywhere. People carrying them around, they were in house windows and shop windows.

Are there any products with just french or just flemmish on them? Always tonnes of writing in 2 languages on all the products.

What's the brandname with the logo of a priest/bishop on it. We were given loads of chocolate and biscuits with it on, is ita welknown brand?

We were given chocolate every morning for breakfast - is that because we were tourists...?!

lol :) i only get it when i'm good all week ;)

Thanks.

Te huur = for rent

What's the white flage with the weird red shape on it? :confused:
Is the recd thing a coq? Than it's the flage of the French part of Belgium => WalloniŽ

What's the yellow flag with the black dragon on it? Flage of the Flemisch part => Flanders

:confused: :confused:

Several shops have pumpkins all week long but i don't think that we cellebrate it really. It's getting more popular every year and yess soms people use pumpkins

Al the ingredients are most of the time in dutch and french (if that is what you ment??)

What's the brandname with the logo of a priest/bishop on it. We were given loads of chocolate and biscuits with it on, is ita welknown brand? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Yess :)

lol they were all to Bellewaerde (amusement park in Ypres ;))

veryborednow
Nov 14th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Thanks guys, although I'm upset they didn't take us to that amusement park.

Did I mean Dutch - I have absolutely no idea, but probably yes on second thoughts ;)

There were just a few different people walking at night with lit pumpkins, but this was about 12th November ... which was a little strange.

I'll try and find a picture of the flag. But the WalloniŽ coq was more a red line going downwards with two horizontal ...
http://www.cyber-flag.net/Drapeaux/Wallonie.gif
Is that the Walloon flag? Definately wasn't that. More like a weird back-to-front Swiss flag.

fleemke≥
Nov 14th, 2002, 08:28 PM

Did I mean Dutch - I have absolutely no idea, but probably yes on second thoughts ;)

There were just a few different people walking at night with lit pumpkins, but this was about 12th November ... which was a little strange.

I'll try and find a picture of the flag. But the WalloniŽ coq was more a red line going downwards with two horizontal ...
http://www.cyber-flag.net/Drapeaux/Wallonie.gif
Is that the Walloon flag? Definately wasn't that. More like a weird back-to-front Swiss flag.

This is the Walloon flage ... i think :)
and I really don't have a clue about the other flage :confused:

Josh
Nov 14th, 2002, 08:40 PM

It's the flag of West-Flanders province

http://users.belgacom.net/philatelic.belgium/Vlaggen-Gemeenten/WestVlaanderen.gif

Josh
Nov 14th, 2002, 08:41 PM
What's the white flag with the weird red shape on it?

It's the flag of the city of Ieper

http://users.belgacom.net/philatelic.belgium/Vlaggen-Gemeenten/WVl-Ieper.gif

Maajken
Nov 14th, 2002, 08:43 PM

If it was this one then its the flag of Ypres itself.
http://home.online.no/~vlaenen/vlaggen/be-ieper.gif

Maajken
Nov 14th, 2002, 08:43 PM
pfffft josh *slap* :p

Josh
Nov 14th, 2002, 08:50 PM
Sorry :p

veryborednow
Nov 14th, 2002, 09:28 PM
A-ha! Brilliant! They were the flags, yes :) Thank you everyone, I've been looking all day for those!

nasty nick#2
Nov 14th, 2002, 10:05 PM
There are too many belgians on this forum :p

DutchieGirl
Nov 15th, 2002, 12:12 AM
lol I noticed that too nick! ;)

Cersei
Nov 15th, 2002, 12:55 AM

hehehe the one with the lion?Bellewaerde?i used to work there :o

Maajken
Nov 15th, 2002, 10:31 AM

November 11th is also what we call "Sint Maarten". Its a day when we remember a saint who did some good stuff in the past, i dont think many people know the real story ;), but on that day kids get presents, toys and chocolate. The chocolates have the shape of this saint and you can find them everywhere so its not like a specific brand or anything.
Also if you would have visited belgium in july for example, i dont think they would have given you chocolate for breakfast.

If im completely off the mark here and youre referring to other chocolate, then i dont have the slightest idea what you mean :D

gentenaire
Nov 15th, 2002, 11:16 AM
ah yes, the saint must be St. Maarten. In those regions they celebrate St. Maarten instead of Sinterklaas. Santa is derived from our Sinterklaas.

By law, the writing on products must be understandable to the majority of people. Imported goods will have a sticker on them or something with a Dutch and French translation. It's a bilingual country, if you want to sell products you have to put both languages on the package.

Elske
Nov 15th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by kitty_fantastico

hehehe the one with the lion?Bellewaerde?i used to work there :o

lol my mum used to work there as well :o and now my cousin works there :bounce: