PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Australian Open - Dream is over.

Pages : [1] 2

cosmoose
Jan 13th, 2012, 01:17 PM
I think a grand slam deserves its own thread.
Sorry about the generic title but I don't want to jinx Petra by writing something like "Quest for the 2nd Slam" Nope. No jinxing from me.

Here is Petra's section of the draw.

Pavlyuchenkova [15] v. Zakopalova
K. Bondarenko v. King
Barrois v. Krajicek
Dominguez Lino v. Ivanovic [21]

Kirilenko [27] v. Gajdosova
Zhang v. Wozniak
Begu v. Suarez Navarro
Dushevina v. KVITOVA [2]

Excelscior
Jan 13th, 2012, 03:24 PM
I'm kool with no jinxing. Lol.

I read Petra's half plays on Tues (Melbourne time)?

I saw that picture of Petra near the Sydney Opera house.

I guess Koyzta wanted to relax her, by getting her away from Tennis a little.

mac47
Jan 13th, 2012, 05:11 PM
I really think she has a great draw. Most dangerous player through three rounds is probably Pavlyuchenkova, but she has been horrid so far this year. After that, the winner of Kirilenko/Gajdosova, but I really don't think Kvitty should have any trouble with either of them. Jarka is so error prone, and Kiri can't handle Petra's pace.

Petronius
Jan 13th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Eurosport's comments:

While Serena can never be ruled out, I make Kvitova the favourite because of her incredible strength and power around the court.

The Czech showed supreme ability to win the WTA Championships to end last season, and it was the guile and intelligence she demonstrated which most impressed me.

When Kvitova won Wimbledon it was mostly down to brute strength and her enormous firepower, but she has since shown that she can mix up her game to good effect.

Excelscior
Jan 13th, 2012, 09:15 PM
@Petronius

That was Simon Reeds interpretation.

Lol.

Petronius
Jan 13th, 2012, 09:19 PM
@Petronius

That was Simon Reeds interpretation.

Lol.

I like how they highlighted Petra's ability to modify and mix up her game. I hope that in London 2012 it will be again "brute strength and enormous firepower" :drool:

Petronius
Jan 13th, 2012, 11:01 PM
tennis.com

Fourth Quarter
When we were asked to do our editor’s picks earlier this week, the world seemed to belong to Petra Kvitova, so I took her in Melbourne. Now, after some sketchy play in Sydney, I’ve had second thoughts. As I said: Every week gives us a new WTA. It seems that Kvitova is still, and may forever be, prone to wide swings in consistency. She could win this whole thing easily, or go out in a blaze of unforced erros in the first round.

Still, Kvitova is the player to beat in a pretty interesting section. She opens with Dushevina and has Kirilenko as her closest seed. Ana Ivanovic and Anastasia Pavluchenkova are also in the vicinity, though neither is setting the world on fire in 2012. Bartoli and Jie Zheng are on the other side, along with sixth seed and home-court head case Sam Stosur.

If Stosur calms the nerves, she has the best shot of unseating Kvitova (and possibly winning the tournament). If not, look for Jie Zheng, winner in Auckland and former semifinalist here, to do damage. She opens with an intriguing match-up against American teenager Madison Keys.

First-round storyline match to watch: Dokic vs. Chakvetadze

Sleeper: Zheng

Semifinalist: Kvitova

Semifinals: Azarenka d. Li; Kvitova d. Williams

Final: Kvitova d. Azarenka

AfroIYH
Jan 13th, 2012, 11:04 PM
I think provided Kvitova is the only member of the top four in the SF's or better she'll be No. 1.

lupojohn
Jan 13th, 2012, 11:18 PM
I'm pretty pleased with Petra's draw. The two players that scare me in her section are Ivanovic and Keys. Pavlyuchenkova has not been good so far this year(as was illustrated above), and I can see Ivanovic making a run here. Keys might have the most talent of all the players in this section, other than Petra(obviously). I still think had she beaten Safarova at the U.S. Open last year, she'd have gotten to the semis rather than Kerber. Sam's been a nightmare since her U.S. Open victory, and Petra handled her on Laver at night last year, when she was in much better form. Errani and Petrova are dangerous for Sam. Don't discount Vinci either. Maria shouldn't have any problems until she runs into either Lisicki or Svetlana in the 4th Round. If she gets by that, she'll probably being staring at Serena in the Quarters. Serena has a great draw, with the exception of maybe facing Kanepi in the 4th Round. I'm glad that Maria and Serena are playing each other. Makes it easier for Petra, since she won't have to go through both of them to reach the final. My thoughts on the other half of the bracket to come, but this post is to primarily focus on Petra's half.

bruce goose
Jan 13th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Was a little surprised that ANYone thought Ivanovic could challenge Petra;she's out of shape--as usual--and looked like an insecure 14-year-old when she bolted from her presser duties while sobbing in Brisbane...again,no surprise there.My biggest concern with these first few rounds is overconfidence leading to lack of concentration and intensity on Petra's part...and then her falling behind in the match too far to come back all the way.Even a semifinal should be a big 2012 springboard for success for Petra...provided that she doesn't lose a match in demoralizing fashion.....which is reasonably unlikely:cool:

lupojohn
Jan 13th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Bruce, the women's game is so unpredictable, is it that unreasonable to see her give Petra a tough match? As I said, I think Keys could be the most dangerous besides Ana.

bruce goose
Jan 14th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Bruce, the women's game is so unpredictable, is it that unreasonable to see her give Petra a tough match? As I said, I think Keys could be the most dangerous besides Ana.First of all,let me apologize if my post came off as insulting...was not my intent

Second,to answer your question: Yes,despite the often unpredictable nature of the WTA,it would surprise and disappointment me if Petra lost to the still-overrated Serb who,as I mentioned,is weak and out of shape physically...and who suffered one of her classic chokes/mental meltdowns in Brisbane,followed by an only-slightly-competitive first round loss to Safarova in Sydney.

There's actually a personal link here for me as I wasted almost 5 years of fanship before finally waking up,in early 2011,to what a shallow,phony mannequin the Serb was/is.In contrast,my liking for Petra--which began with her impressive win over Venus in 2008--grew stronger in 2010(back when visitors here were scarce...when there was no sub-forum for Petra)...partly b/c so many posters treated her like an ugly duckling of sorts.So,by the time 2011 rolled around,it was so poetically fitting to replace someone who is nothing beyond skin-deep with a gal named Petra whose inner character is one of the main traits that make her a champion:cool:

cosmoose
Jan 14th, 2012, 12:57 AM
Ivanovic is no threat to Petra.
It would be a shankfest of epic proportion! :D

Stosur could challenge but you know she will crumble under the enormous expectation laid on her from the home crowd.

Which leaves Serena as the biggest hurdle imo.

But if "bad" Kvitty shows up, she could lose to Duschevina! :eek:

bruce goose
Jan 14th, 2012, 01:07 AM
Ivanovic is no threat to Petra.
It would be a shankfest of epic proportion! :D

Stosur could challenge but you know she will crumble under the enormous expectation laid on her from the home crowd.

Which leaves Serena as the biggest hurdle imo.

But if "bad" Kvitty shows up, she could lose to Duschevina! :eek:Good call on Stosur,Cosmoose;like Mauresmo at RG,Samantha has always managed to flame out in front of her home fans.Big Bepa:hearts: will be so demoralized by Petra's dominance that she'll need to run off to Mexico for a nerve-relaxing beach vacation where.....OOPS!....That's for a different thread:angel:.....VAMOS,Petra!!:bounce:

AfroIYH
Jan 14th, 2012, 02:16 AM
If Ana manages to get somewhere to her best and Petra tanks the match, Ivanovic may have a slight chance, but if Petra's playing mediocre she'll take Ivanovic right off her best form.

bruce goose
Jan 14th, 2012, 03:10 AM
Mona Barthel has gone all the way to the Hobart final from qualifying(wasn't that Petra's first-ever title?).I wonder if they've ever met in Juniors....can't recall any memorable encounters in the pro ranks.Her profile pic--possibly outdated--suggests that she suffers terribly from acne.Perhaps one day she'll blossom from the unknown,ugly duckling phase just as Petra:hearts: did....we've certainly seen Petra prove that one can fly under the radar of the media's Youth Hype Machine and still reach the top in women's tennis

AfroIYH
Jan 14th, 2012, 05:31 AM
She beat Benesova in 2009 for the Hobart crown, and they never met in Juniors according to ITF.

cosmoose
Jan 14th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Would it be a sign of disprect if Petra was assigned to Margaret Court Arena for her matches?

TimeyWimey
Jan 14th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Would it be a sign of disprect if Petra was assigned to Margaret Court Arena for her matches?

when will they put a roof on MCA? I heard they had a plan several years ago

anyway, i don't think it would be a sign of disrespect, with Serena, Maria and Sam in the same half, it is unlikely she will get RLA, and also in this half we have Jelena Dokic, Jarka Gajdosova and "Aussie's own" Ana Ivanovic

so I guess MCA is ok for the first round :)

Petronius
Jan 14th, 2012, 06:06 PM
HUGE jinx, but still an extremely interesting preview. Several claims contained in this preview would surely ignite a heated debate in the GM, e.g. "There is a potential tennis giant, capable of reaching Serena's heights" and especially "Petra Kvitova's best game equals or perhaps even surpasses Serena's."

WOMEN'S SINGLES

The women's singles are intriguing as always. Four different women won the Slams of 2011, and a fifth female star captured the year's #1 ranking. All four past Australian champions who remain active in the sport have been set back by injury problems of late. Meanwhile the strong array of young and rising stars seem ready for higher glory. Our indicators help in penetrating the disorder, and taken individually and in aggregate, they give unique perspectives.

Indicator 1. Weighed 13-month performance.

Our heaviest-weighted event for predicting the women's singles at Australian Open 2012 is U.S. Open 2011, followed in order by Wimbledon, Miami, and Canadian Open 2011.

1. Victoria Azarenka, score 15.2
2. Caroline Wozniacki, 13.3
3. Petra Kvitova, 12.3

The margins among the top three in this indicator are not large. Indeed the leader in our rank order changed just a day or two prior to the Melbourne draw owing to results at the Sydney tune-up.

The leader here, Belarus-born Victoria Azarenka, 24, shows a strong all-court game well suited to her athletic 6-0 and 145-pound physique. She scored well in several events highly-weighted here, winning Miami and reaching her only career Slam semi-final at Wimbledon, and she consistently scored well in earlier rounds of nearly all other important events. Victoria retired unusually often from tournaments for physical reasons, but she finished 2011 with a fine run at the Istanbul finale, where she lost to Petra Kvitova in a furious split-set championship match. She then started 2012 well, triumphing at Sydney by defeating Li Na in the final match on this very day.

As the top player in the official WTA rankings for both 2010 and 2011, Caroline Wozniacki, age 21 at height 5-10, is the #1 seed at Melbourne Park. As teenagers, she and Azarenka both moved upward rapidly in the rankings, but while Victoria acquired a reputation as a stormy competitor, Caroline developed a relentless consistency in avoiding error, a quality where she sometimes approached perfection as matches reached climax. Now, however, she often produces more-powerful and aggressive patterns of play, favored by her excellent size. Last year, she reached the final four at Australian and U.S. Opens and won the next-tier tournaments at Indian Wells and Dubai. As her comfort in attacking improves, so too should her results against the other superstars. Her break-through at a slam could come suddenly.

Also just 21 is rising superstar Petra Kvitova, at 6-0 and a trim 154 pounds. Having finished #34 in 2010 Petra rose to #2 one year later, having captured the 2011 crowns at Wimbledon, Paris Indoors, and Madrid clay. She was then dazzling in winning the finale in Istanbul, where she won all five of her matches behind a sliced, lefty serve that was devastating to the backhands of her right-handed opponents. Petra could be at the verge of dominating the sport.
Indicator 2. Aged results of last seven months.

1. Samantha Stosur, 14.1
2. Victoria Azarenka, 13.9
3. Agnieszka Radwanska, 13.9

Superstardom came late in Stosur's career, years after early fame from superior doubles results. Five months ago at U.S. Open, Sam became the first Australian woman in 31 years to capture a Slam singles crown. That triumph (which is aged to just 3/7 value in our calculation here) along with her runner-up finish at Osaka and her final-four effort at Istanbul, makes her our leader in this indicator. Sam, however, began 2012 with first-round losses at Brisbane and Sydney.

Agnieszka Radwanska, third here at just age 22 and height 5-8, displays a nicely balanced game featuring good power. Her results were poor at U.S. Open and at Istanbul, but in the interval between those two events she captured the Premier Mandatory/Premier Five tournaments in Beijing and Tokyo. Success resumed in January in reaching the final four at Sydney, beating Wozniacki but then losing to Azarenka, in both cases in split sets. The prospects are assuredly upward for Agnieszka, both in Melbourne and in the months to follow.

Indicator 3. Elite wins vs. total losses

Serena Williams, 30, commands attention here, where quality rather than quantity of results is foremost. Serena played only briefly during 2011, recovering from nearly a year's absence caused by injury and sickness. She lost only three matches during her late-spring and summer emergence, while in scoring 22 wins she defeated elites Wozniacki, Azarenka (twice), Sharapova, and Stosur. She made a powerful run to the final round at U.S. Open but was defeated in a stunning upset by Stosur.

1. Serena Williams, 23.9
2. Petra Kvitova, 20.0
3. Maria Sharapova, 9.2

Petra Kvitova joined Serena as the only players with more elite wins than total losses during the period. Five of Kvitova's 15 elite wins came in the year-end event at Istanbul.

Still a powerful server and stroker is Russian-born Maria Sharapova, age 24 at height 6-2, Australian champion in 2008 but plagued for several years with major shoulder trouble, Maria in 2011 recovered some of her former eminence. She can be counted on to plaster every shot in high-risk attack. An ankle injury forced her withdrawal from the January tune-up at Brisbane.

Fourth place here belongs to Kim Clijsters, who won Australian Open 2011 but played only briefly thereafter, scoring four elite wins against eight total losses for the year. Kim returned at Brisbane in January 2012, reaching the semis with three victories, but she then retired against Hantuchova with muscle spasms in the hip area.

Indicator 4. Recent pattern of improvement

In a semi-final appearance at U.S. Open 2011, unseeded German player Angelica Kerber, 23, forced eventual champion Stosur to three sets. Angelica's auspices continued to brighten thereafter, as she accumulated a 7-4 W-L record in the rest of 2011, where one of her losses was a split-setter to Radwanska. Continuing in 2012, she reached the semis against strong opponents in Auckland and again at Hobart.

Top-tenners Stosur and Radwanska claim the next two places here, consistent with their strong presence in our second indicator, which also depends partly on recent performance.

1. Angelica Kerber, 21.4
2. Samantha Stosur, 15.5
2. Agnieszka Radwanska, 15.5

Indicator 5. Past Australian Opens

Veteran former champions at Melboune Park scored well here. Serena has captured the crown five times, Clijsters and Sharapova each once.

1. Serena Williams, 21.0
2. Kim Clijsters, 12.5
3. Maria Sharapova, 11.1

Li Na in fourth place is the highest ranking player here not a past champion at Melbourne. Na's relentless ground stroking lifted her to the final last year, and her win over Kvitova to reach the final in Sydney this month reveals her readiness to repeat her strong January play.

Composite of five indicators

1. Serena Williams, 55.0
2. Petra Kvitova, 49.0
3. Agnieszka Radwanska, 45.0
4. Samantha Stosur, 43.2
5. Victoria Azarenka, 39.5

Our composite ranking differs considerably from the official seedings. Our second-place performer, Kvitova, is also second in the seeded order, but otherwise none of our four favorites are among the official top four. It looks as if a deliciously scrambled official draw is promising many early-round treats.

THE PREDICTIONS

Top Quarter

Our indicators make Caroline Wozniacki and Li Na the front-ruinners in this quarter of the draw, with Kim Clijsters returning from inactivity to cloud matters. Caroline has the safer path in her half of the quarter, facing a likely fourth-round face-off with Jelena Jankovic or Lucie Safarova. Either is unlikely to derail the relentless determination of the Danish princess.

In the lower half, Clijsters must face Daniela Hantuchova, whom she defeated nine straight times prior to the retirement in Brisbane. Kim will then meet Li Na, supernova of Australia 2011, whose firm ground game is likely to prevail against a Clijsters at less than her best. The two met in the final rounds last year at both Sydney and Melbourne. Li won in straight sets in the first case, Clijsters won at Melbourne Park in a three-set classic. It is hard to believe that Kim can find her superb form of one year ago, so the choice here Is Li.

The Li-Wozniacki quarter-final is intriguing. Na defeated Caroline at Australian Open in both 2010 and 2011, last year in a close three-setter. She also won when they met in Sydney 2010. Our other indicators point to Caroline, though not overwhelmingly. Caroline is the younger and larger player, but the evidence from the last two Januarys makes Na the choice here. Thus Li Na will again topple the tournament's top seed.

Second Quarter

Our indicators show that Azarenka and Radwanska are well ahead of the many fine, rising players in this quarter. Azarenka has a firm advantage over the Polish star in the first indicator, weighted results of the last year, but Agnieszka is close in all other indicators and has the definite edge in the fourth, pattern of improvement. Azarenka is well ahead in their head-to-head count, but Radwanska won their last meeting, last fall in Tokyo. I like Radwanska's calm on-court temperament, but Victoria's recent win over Li, who had just beaten Kvitova, turns the verdict here to Azarenka.

Third Quarter

Two risers require attention in this quarter -- Kaia Kanepi, 26, who won at Brisbane this month, and Angelique Kerber, 23, who leads in our fourth indicator. Probably neither will reach the final match of the quarter, however, even though their higher-ranked likely opponents all seem on downhill paths. Kerber must make her way against Sharapova with either Kuznetsova or rising Lisicki ahead. Sharapova is the choice in this mix. Meanwhile Kanepi seems about even with Zvonareva but the winner of these two must face Serena Williams.

A fully healthy Serena with a moderate record of recent activity would be the heavy favorite to sweep the quarter. Her withdrawal after two wins in Brisbane leaves unclear her readiness, not so much because of the ankle injury itself but rather because of her long absence previously. In similar circumstances in the past, Serena, now 30, has been able to find her top game. Guessing, that will happen once again, and the winner of the quarter will be Serena.

Bottom Quarter

There is a potential tennis giant, capable of reaching Serena's heights, in this quarter, whose rise in 2011 in my opinion was only prelude to higher glory just ahead. She is only 21 at height 6-0, seemingly at full physical health. Petra Kvitova is the player to beat in this tournament. Her only weakness, it has seemed to me, is a tendency to relax her strong game when she feels overly comfortable.

Improving Pavlyuchenkova could give Kvitova trouble in their half of the quarter. The same must be said of Stosur, or alternatively Bartoli, in the other half. But if Kvitova maintains the concentration needed to produce her superior forcefulness and precision, none of these players can stop her. Once ahead on the scoreboard, that wonderful left-handed sliced serve will close out matters. Kvitova to the final four.

FINAL FOUR

Petra Kvitova's best game equals or perhaps even surpasses Serena's.

That assertion has yet to be proven by the young Czech star, but her chance should come in the semis at Melbourne Park. Petra must bear down relentlessly and avoid those spells of lesser play that sometimes unexpectedly appear. But she is far more likely than Serena to be in top form. Nine years younger, three inches taller, and toughened by regular challenges throughout 2011, Kvitova should claim the victory.
As to the two players in the other semi, Azarenka, 22, is considerably younger and taller than Li Na, she won their last meeting comfortably (at Istanbul last fall), and she probably has the easier road to the semis. Our indicators, especially the first, point strongly to Victoria. There are marked differences in their temperaments, Na calm and less demonstrative on the court, Victoria sometimes showing irritation, risking loss of concentration. Having improved in this area with maturity, Azarenka should here reach her first slam final.

It should be a fascinating affair between two young power hitters. Kvitova and Azarenka met in the final match at the finale in Istanbul last fall. Kvitova won, but the verdict was not clear-cut until well into the third set, when Petra turned on the full heat. For me it would be a surprise if matters are equally close this time. Fortified by the realization that Petra has won their last four meetings, and that our composite indicator tally strongly favors her, I believe that the new champion at Melbourne Park will be Kvitova.

Best wishes to fellow watchers worldwide for yet another magical and magnificent Slam.

--Ray Bowers
Arlington, Virginia, U.S.A.

mac47
Jan 14th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Huge jinx is right.

A lot of pseudo-scientific faux objectivity to that article. Has he tested his indicators on past data to see if they really are predictive?

That said, I agree with all his judgment calls. I really do think that Petra's best is as good or better than Serena's, and I can visualize a semifinal in which she completely shreds her.

mac47
Jan 14th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Oh, and you know that Petra would be ahead of everyone else in this guy's composite of five indicators if she hadn't lost first round in USO.

Excelscior
Jan 14th, 2012, 08:06 PM

Interesting. Is that confirmed?

I don't see why she wouldn't have a good chance of playing on Rod Laver. Azarenka is playing there on Monday. Most importantly Fed, Nadal, Tomic, Woz and Clijsters are all playing on Monday with Nadal on Hisense.

Being the current, alleged "hottest thing", I think Petra has a good chance to play on RLA, and at worst Hisense. I wouldn't even worry about MCA.

Andy Murray, and maybe even Masha will play on Hisense on Tuesday.

They usually play 5 matches a day on RLA. On Monday they'll be 3 women (Clijsters, Woz, Azarenka) and two men's matches (local favorite Tomich and Fed). Remember Rafa was bumped to Hisense. Maybe on Tues, they'll have 4 women play (Petra, Serena, Sam, Masha) on RLA, along with Djokovich?

It appears at worst Petra or Masha would be bumped to Hisense if Aussie Hewitt was to play on RLA and not Hisense.

Remember Petra was scheduled for Ashe at the US Open, till she was bumped off to Armstrong due to rain. If Sydney was any indicator, she played all her matches on Centre Ct, while both Azarenka and Li Na played on Court 1, when Petra did. We'll see?

bruce goose
Jan 15th, 2012, 12:06 AM
it is unlikely she will get RLA, and also in this half we have Jelena Dokic, Jarka Gajdosova and "Aussie's own" Ana Ivanovic

so I guess MCA is ok for the first round :)Boy,Australia is getting pretty desperate with its weak,adopted daughters above after you count Stosur,huh?:lol:

Though I understand the disrespect issue when a champion gets moved to a lesser court,it won't bother ME as long as it doesn't affect Petra at all.Once she wins the AO,they'll probably try to adopt HER,too:lol:

AfroIYH
Jan 15th, 2012, 12:28 AM
when will they put a roof on MCA? I heard they had a plan several years ago

anyway, i don't think it would be a sign of disrespect, with Serena, Maria and Sam in the same half, it is unlikely she will get RLA, and also in this half we have Jelena Dokic, "Aussie's own" Jarka Gajdosova and Ana Ivanovic

so I guess MCA is ok for the first round :)

Fixed :P

bruce goose
Jan 15th, 2012, 01:48 AM
Huge jinx is right.That's just an excuse for fans to worry;as I recall,plenty of us picked a Petra victory in the Wimby and YEC finals...and that didn't seem to affect her too negatively;)

ArcticMoose
Jan 15th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Petra Kvitova 15.01.12 : Transcribed Interview - AO

Q. How are you feeling about your preparations for the tournament?

PETRA KVITOVA: Well, I mean, yeah, I played two weeks great matches before. I'm feeling very well. I'm healthy, what is important for me.

I'm feeling good.

Q. We saw you hitting with Li Na this morning. Is she a regular training partner for you?

PETRA KVITOVA: Actually, we organized the practice after our own match in Sydney. She's very nice, have a smile all the time on face. She's great. So it was good.

Q. It's pretty rare for two top women players to practice together. Is that something you want to do more of?

PETRA KVITOVA: Is it?

Q. I get the sense there's more of it in the men's game. Would you agree with that?

PETRA KVITOVA: No. For me it really doesn't matter. If the other girl wants play, why not? And we are in the opposite half, so it's not problem really.

Q. You do look at that when you're picking partner?

PETRA KVITOVA: Yeah. But, of course, we didn't know we will be in opposite half before, so doesn't matter.

Q. What do you think about Li, after what happened to you in Sydney? Do you think she's a threat here?

PETRA KVITOVA: Yeah, I think she's playing very well. She's very good on the legs, she's moving, playing really fast. I mean, she can go really far in this tournament.

Q. In the Hopman Cup you did pretty well against some top10 players. Do you see them as other threats as well?

PETRA KVITOVA: You mean Bartoli?

Q. Bartoli and Wozniacki.

PETRA KVITOVA: Yeah, they are really great players and they know how is it in the Grand Slams. I think that they are good prepared for the tournament.

Q. What are your thoughts for the year ahead? Do you think you can exceed what you did last year?

PETRA KVITOVA: Well, I mean, the last year was great for me. Of course, I had many results. It will be very tough to have similar results this year.

I know it will be very tough, but still I just want to be focused on my game and we will see.

Q. How has your life changed since you won Wimbledon? Did you become more famous in your own country? Do you feel more pressure, more attention?

PETRA KVITOVA: Yeah, I think so. I'm more famous in Czech. After Wimbledon was the first really big (indiscernible). Yeah, it's really strange for me.

I'm already get used to. So, yeah, I mean, it's the part of our life. We have to live with this.

Q. How about the prospect of maybe becoming No. 1? You already were very close in Sydney.

PETRA KVITOVA: Yeah, I mean, it's very close, but still it's really far away because, you know, many players can be really top, higher one. I mean, it's really open now, the women's tennis. Everybody from top can play really well.

I know it's just some points, but still it's really big step.

Q. What would it mean to you?

PETRA KVITOVA: Actually it's tough to answer now when I'm still No. 2. Ask me maybe later.

Q. Has that No. 1 ranking always been a goal of yours?

PETRA KVITOVA: No. Actually when I start play tennis, I didn't think I would be professional tennis player. So for me won the Wimbledon, Championships, Fed Cup, it wasn't my dream. But it's very nice.

Yeah, if I maybe can be No. 1, it will be very nice, too, of course.

Q. What happened that made you realize you would go on and be a professional player and when was that?

PETRA KVITOVA: When?

Q. Yes.

PETRA KVITOVA: Actually around 16 I moved to Prostejov where we have a very big tennis center, and there I practiced.

Q. The Czech girls are very strong at the moment. You have a lot of players in the top 50. Why do you think that is?

PETRA KVITOVA: It's just the same because actually I don't know. No, really. We wants to be better and better, and we practice a lot. Actually, I don't know.

Q. How much work have you done on your English? How much more comfortable do you feel now in press conferences?

PETRA KVITOVA: Actually after Wimbledon, I had a lot of press and a lot of media. I had to improve my English.

Yeah, I'm still little bit nervous, but it's much better.

Q. Did you work on it in the offseason especially?

PETRA KVITOVA: No.

bruce goose
Jan 15th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Yeah,Petra,the answer to that last question was obvious:lol:...that's okay,we love you anyway:):hug:

mac47
Jan 15th, 2012, 01:35 PM
LOL. "Top ten players? You mean Bartoli?" Implication: Woz is not really a top 10 player.

TimeyWimey
Jan 15th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Petra Kvitova 15.01.12 : Transcribed Interview - AO

Q. How much work have you done on your English? How much more comfortable do you feel now in press conferences?

PETRA KVITOVA: Actually after Wimbledon, I had a lot of press and a lot of media. I had to improve my English.

Yeah, I'm still little bit nervous, but it's much better.

Q. Did you work on it in the offseason especially?

PETRA KVITOVA: No.

I don't think she is nervous, just her indifference

AfroIYH
Jan 15th, 2012, 02:48 PM
LOL. "Top ten players? You mean Bartoli?" Implication: Woz is not really a top 10 player.

Maybe Bartoli's double bagel against the Slovak gave her something more the think about.

Coconut91
Jan 15th, 2012, 03:51 PM

:lol: But I think she asked if they meant Bartoli because she considers she didn't do too well against Wozniacki. She has said before that she played much better against Bartoli IIRC.

Excelscior
Jan 15th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Is that Racket Photo a promotional (or just an incidental) one? If so, they chose nice.

"Whose House?" Is it Petra's, Ivanko's, Nike's, Rod Laver's or Run's? Just beeing silly. Kool T shirt.

I also think Petra referenced Bartoli, cause she's in her quarter and respects her.

Parts of her Press Conference are also on You Tube, via The Australian Open.

Rod Laver looks nice. I hope Petra gets to play all her matches there. Funny, cause Li Na is actually playing on Hisense Monday. I guess they're perks to being Petra's hitting partner. Where in the world is Adam Pavlevek? Lol

Good Luck Petra.

bruce goose
Jan 15th, 2012, 05:11 PM
LOL. "Top ten players? You mean Bartoli?" Implication: Woz is not really a top 10 player.Well,Mac,all of us are free to opine on whether or not Caro is a worthy WTA player:lol:,but it's almost impossible for me to envision Petra's shooting out barbs like that...even subtle ones.Though she's the devastating Lioness ON court,she's our sweet small-town gal:angel: outside the lines

mac47
Jan 15th, 2012, 06:23 PM
No, I'm sure she didn't mean it the way I'm (jokingly) taking it.

bruce goose
Jan 15th, 2012, 06:37 PM
She and Petra sure make for an attractive pair of tall,athletic blondes when they're photographed together:)

bruce goose
Jan 15th, 2012, 11:40 PM
Even though Petra doesn't start 'til tomorrow,we're just 30 minutes from the action now...haven't been this enthused about a Slam at the get-go for a good long while:)

Queen Petra Fan
Jan 16th, 2012, 04:34 AM
Even though Petra doesn't start 'til tomorrow,we're just 30 minutes from the action now...haven't been this enthused about a Slam at the get-go for a good long while:)

Petra seems in good spirits and relaxed. She says she's ready to go. Let's hope she is! :)

BTW, Cetkovska just advanced. So far, so good for the Czech girls. :bounce:

:worship: Petra Kvitova's AO Grand Slam mojo cannot be stopped! :worship:

AfroIYH
Jan 16th, 2012, 06:28 AM
She and Petra sure make for an attractive pair of tall,athletic blondes when they're photographed together:)

Wouldn't mind sharing a bed with both of them.

Excelscior
Jan 16th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Petra first up on Centre Court/Rod Laver tomorrow at 11am Melbourne Time.

Petronius
Jan 16th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Petra first up on Centre Court/Rod Laver tomorrow at 11am Melbourne Time.

So, if I'm not wrong, it starts at 1 am in Czech Rep./Netherlands, at midnight in the UK and at 6 pm in New York (east coast)

Excelscior
Jan 16th, 2012, 10:04 AM
So, if I'm not wrong, it starts at 1 am in Czech Rep./Netherlands, at midnight in the UK and at 6 pm in New York (east coast)

7pm Est, US-NYC.

Ironically ESPN 2 came on the air today at 7pm and showed the Vika match to start, but tomorrow they're coming on the air at 9pm (after Petra's match is scheduled to start). I wonder if they're going to show it on tape delay (I doubt it), and once again I gotta watch Petra solely on a stream.

I wonder if they knew/planned this in advance? SMH No big screen TV for me. Lol

Petronius
Jan 16th, 2012, 11:19 AM
7pm Est, US-NYC.

Ironically ESPN 2 came on the air today at 7pm and showed the Vika match to start, but tomorrow they're coming on the air at 9pm (after Petra's match is scheduled to start). I wonder if they're going to show it on tape delay (I doubt it), and once again I gotta watch Petra solely on a stream.

I wonder if they knew/planned this in advance? SMH No big screen TV for me. Lol

Oh. You're right, 7 pm NYC.

Excelscior
Jan 16th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Oh. Apparently she'll probably be on Tennis Channel at 7pm, as they have live coverage at 7-9pm before ESPN2 comes on the air at 9pm. I forgot about that.

Unfortunately my carrier Verizon Fios and Tennis Channel are feuding, so I can't see it on TV.

Darn You ESPN2!! Arrgghh! Lol

mdx
Jan 16th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Oh. Apparently she'll probably be on Tennis Channel at 7pm, as they have live coverage at 7-9pm before ESPN2 comes on the air at 9pm. I forgot about that.

Unfortunately my carrier Verizon Fios and Tennis Channel are feuding, so I can't see it on TV.

Darn You ESPN2!! Arrgghh! Lol

On this page they say it will be on ESPN3 at 7:00 p.m. eastern time.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1025907-australian-open-2012-tv-schedule-top-womens-matches-to-watch-on-jan-17/page/5#/articles/1025907-australian-open-2012-tv-schedule-top-womens-matches-to-watch-on-jan-17/page/5

Excelscior
Jan 16th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Hey MDX

Thanks/I know (that last thread was a continuation of a previous one). Good looking though.

Yeah. That's the internet. I wanted to see Petra on both (cause you know ESPN 2 always cuts away). Tennis Channel, will stay the whole match, but like I said, their boycotting Verizon Fios.

Unfortunately I'll have to go the ESPN 3, Eurosport, Skysport route (I say "unfortunately", only cause of the picture size from no TV, cause the commentary is usually better than USA). Lol

tennisrules
Jan 16th, 2012, 05:49 PM
I love having DirecTV because during every Slam, for the first week they give live coverage of 6 courts. So even if ESPN2 doesn't show the Petra match at 7:00 PM (I'm Eastern Standard Time here in NY), I can watch it on one the extra channels. Although looking at the schedule, the only American playing at Petra's time is Vania King, and Ferrer being the only big men's name playing early.

Go Petra!

Excelscior
Jan 16th, 2012, 06:37 PM
I love having DirecTV because during every Slam, for the first week they give live coverage of 6 courts. So even if ESPN2 doesn't show the Petra match at 7:00 PM (I'm Eastern Standard Time here in NY), I can watch it on one the extra channels. Although looking at the schedule, the only American playing at Petra's time is Vania King, and Ferrer being the only big men's name playing early.

Go Petra!

And ESPN 2 still sold out on Petra (despite the dearth off good matches @ 11am Melbourne).

Sheesh, she's on center court, and ESPN 2 chooses to show Women's College Basketball. No offense to them, but how embarrassing is that? But Sharapova is on Hisense, and Serena will be on 6am US EST, but they're going to show and promote those matches, and not show Petra at 7pm US EST?

I'm sure they'll show her later on in the tournament, but they did the same thing last year at Wimbledon. They purposefully ignored Petra. You didn't see her till the semi-finals, then ESPN/The Press acted shocked when she won, though she was one of the top 5-7 odds to win from the get go.

As far as me tonight and Petra; I have both ESPN 3 and tennis channel. Unfortunately Tennis Channel & Verizon Fios are in dispute and I can't see it there.

I'll watch it on ESPN 3 and/or one of the European webstreams.

tennisrules
Jan 16th, 2012, 06:44 PM
And ESPN 2 still sold out on Petra (despite the dearth off good matches @ 11am Melbourne).

Sheesh, she's on center court, and ESPN 2 chooses to show Women's College Basketball. No offense to them, but how embarrassing is that? But Sharapova is on Hisense, and Serena will be on 6am US EST, but they're going to show and promote those matches, and not show Petra at 7pm US EST?

I'm sure they'll show her later on in the tournament, but they did the same thing last year at Wimbledon. They purposefully ignored Petra. You didn't see her till the semi-finals, then acted shocked when she won, though she was one of the top 5-7 odds to win from the get go.

As far as me tonight and Petra; I have both ESPN 3 and tennis channel. Unfortunately Tennis Channel & Verizon Fios are in dispute and I can't see it there.

I'll watch it on ESPN 3 and/or one of the European webstreams.

Petra gets no respect:( It's sad that the soon-to-be #1 gets so little press/attention from ESPN. I hope you can find a good stream.

I would love to get ESPN3 but they don't have a deal with DirecTV :(:no:

Excelscior
Jan 16th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Petra gets no respect:( It's sad that the soon-to-be #1 gets so little press/attention from ESPN. I hope you can find a good stream.

Yeah. ESPN treats Petra bad. There's no excuse for that if you're showing women's college basketball at 7pm when Petra plays, then come on the air at 9pm.

It's like an alternate universe, you read the European, Australian, and even other American press, and all they talk about is Petra Kvitova. And even if they love Clijsters and Serena, the other press still mentions Kvitova before or after them.

You can watch an entire 8 hr broadcast of ESPN 2 coverage, and only hear Kvitova's name brought up 2-3 times, and only in the briefest fashion when it does.

Funny. ESPN actually owns the rights to the Multi-Cameras for TV and sold them to Direct TV. I have the internet version (all cameras) via ESPN 3 on the computer. It's great! So you win and you lose, cause when I had Time Warner, I didn't have ESPN 3, but I'd still have the Tennis Channel now. Lol

Petronius
Jan 16th, 2012, 07:28 PM

Azarenka has also a great chance. She's in good shape and has a cakewalk draw to the semis. If Petra gets to the semis and loses to Serena, while Azarenka wins her semis... Not to mention that Petra will subsequently lose points for her 2011 Paris title.

tennisrules
Jan 16th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Azarenka has also a great chance. She's in good shape and has a cakewalk draw to the semis. If Petra gets to the semis and loses to Serena, while Azarenka wins her semis... Not to mention that Petra will subsequently lose points for her 2011 Paris title.

That's true - I keep forgetting about Azarenka. Every time people pick her to win a Slam, something happens to her or she gets a terrible draw (like last year's USO). She has had a lot of bad luck at Slams.

Barktra
Jan 16th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Dushevina has no game IMO, so this should be just target practice for Petra :cheer:

Excelscior
Jan 16th, 2012, 07:57 PM

Though I know what you mean Petronius, the point really was Petra's who everyone is talking about; Not Vika, and ESPN chooses to show and hype up Vika, etc. What has she done, but be a dissapointment most of her career?

Funny you bring up Petra losing to Serena in the semifinal (a big if). By that logic, Azarenka could easily lose to Li Na or Clijsters in her semifinal. So that's not a gimee for Vika either. Also, Serena's opening round match (and quarter) may not be a cake walk. It could be could be very tough.

Lastly, if Petra makes semifinals, she essentially covers for her Australian 1/4 points and Paris Indoors. That's 900 or a thousand points.

Barktra
Jan 16th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Though I know what you mean Petronius, the point really was Petra's who everyone is talking about; Not Vika, and ESPN chooses to show and hype up Vika, etc. What has she done, but be a dissapointment most of her career?

Funny you bring up Petra losing to Serena in the semifinal (a big if). By that logic, Azarenka could easily lose to Li Na or Clijsters in her semifinal. So that's not a gimee for Vika either. Also, Serena's opening round match (and quarter) may not be a cake walk. It could be could be very tough.

Lastly, if Petra makes semifinals, she essentially covers for her Australian 1/4 points and Paris Indoors. That's 900 or a thousand points.

Also to put in to fact if and this is a big if Caroline makes the semis. She leads Vika in the H2H 4-2, so that could play into fact if they meet in the semis.

Excelscior
Jan 16th, 2012, 08:12 PM

Also to put in to fact if and this is a big if Caroline makes the semis. She leads Vika in the H2H 4-2, so that could play into fact if they meet in the semis.

You're right! I was thinking the same thing, so that makes three (though nobody seems to take her seriously anymore, so I left her out). Lol

Petronius
Jan 16th, 2012, 09:41 PM
You're right! I was thinking the same thing, so that makes three (though nobody seems to take her seriously anymore, so I left her out). Lol

So one thing is sure, the safest way to get that #1 ranking is to win the title.

If Petra made it, she would be a fantastic and well-deserved #1, because she would be the winner of the three of the latest four most important events, including two grand slams.

But let's stop the jinxing, Dushevina coming up!

cosmoose
Jan 16th, 2012, 10:02 PM
For Espn3 viewers,
if you have a tv with HDMI port, you can easily connect your computer to your tv with HDMI cable.

Excelscior
Jan 16th, 2012, 10:35 PM
@Cosmoose

Thanks.

I'm not sure if the resolution/sharpness will transfer to a large television though? ESPN 3's feed can be very good (it usually varies in strength) but most times if you blow it up on the monitor, it doesn't look as sharp from the standard/smaller picture, mind you on a big ole TV.

Since Petra won't be on TV for me, I'll probably just watch a basketball game at 8pm on TV with Petra on the computer.

Thanks for the suggestion.

AfroIYH
Jan 16th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Just over 30 minutes till we see Petra take the stage.

mac47
Jan 16th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Anyone got a free stream? Livescorehunter.com seems to have failed me, offering only Bet365-registered streams.

Barktra
Jan 16th, 2012, 11:59 PM
If you have tennis channel they are broadcasting it

AfroIYH
Jan 17th, 2012, 12:05 AM
They are broadcasting it on Eurosport 2 (after this news link) for UK viewers.
Mac: http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-2/14/138/v-353958.html

RetroDonkey
Jan 17th, 2012, 12:50 AM
Petra is destroying Dushevina now... After going down 2-0 she has won 7 games on the spin and Dushevina isn't putting up any competition at all. Should be over quick as Petra isn't even playing anywhere near her best.

Rosol hasn't won a single game so far down 6-0,3-0... arrogant bastard, serves him right.

mac47
Jan 17th, 2012, 01:05 AM
LSH came through after all with other streams after the match started.

Petra is playing poorly IMO, but whenever she needs to win a point, she can, and so she is bageling Dushevina in the second so far.

AfroIYH
Jan 17th, 2012, 01:14 AM
Her serve is something to look at, but her groundstrokes more than compensated. It was a good match to start her Aussie Campaign.

RetroDonkey
Jan 17th, 2012, 01:16 AM
Dushevina just quit really... had zero confidence in any of her shots, which is fortunate for Petra, because she didn't look overly sharp. Still, you get the feeling that up against a better opponent, she would have lifted her game.

Hope she plays with a bit more fire next match as I would like to see her firing on all guns before she faces any of the better players.

tennisrules
Jan 17th, 2012, 02:00 AM
Yea Petra!:bounce::)

I admit I got a little worried there the way she started out, especially with the three double faults her opening service game. But that's probably just nerves - she quickly got over them and once she got in the groove she was unstoppable. Dushevina really had no weapons to hurt her with.

Good start for Petra:cool: Keep it up please.

bruce goose
Jan 17th, 2012, 05:35 AM
Yeah,a pretty decisive victory for Petra to get warmed up for her Slam run and,despite her next opponent's one-time deep run at the AO,an in-form Petra should handle her easily

bruce goose
Jan 17th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Have seen even legends coast against easier first-round opponents,so Petra's somewhat-lower intensity today is not any indictment of her commitment...in case anyone was concerned

claypova
Jan 17th, 2012, 07:23 AM
hm, I don't post often in this subforum :lol:

Her draw has ocmpletely opened up, it's hard to see her not making the semifinals as there is no one who can really hurt her :)

good luck Petra :D

Excelscior
Jan 17th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Hey! She got the first one, did it quickly, and ducked back into the locker room before the severe heat came out. That's a good start. Lol.

I liked the reintroduction of the offensive change of pace, slices, drop shots, angled top spin side line shot, volleys and stepping into the court the way she did (like the YEC) in lieu of the Ozzie Open. I smell tactical game plans brewing utilizing Petra's variety (also like the YEC)? She needs to keep doing that in her next matches for the heavy hitters (and weak ones) that don't like change of pace.

Her ground strokes and court coverage were decent to good. It was windy, so everyone had problems it seemed serving today, so I'll excuse her double faults to first day kinks. But she needs to straighten that out for the bigger fish down the line or her next opponent.

Speaking about that, onward to the next opponent!

paulmara
Jan 17th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Petra : Yesterday when I was traning in the wind I didn´t know what to expect from myself … Wind was not so bad, it is a bigger court with stands … Not to mention my start with 3 doublefalls it was good … I have no problems with breathing or hot weather. In Australia it is not so horrible like in America. …I was satisfied with my return, otherwise it is hard to say she didn´t play so fast.

http://www.rozhlas.cz/zpravy/tenis/_zprava/snad-si-ted-zacnu-vic-verit-doufa-po-uvodni-vyhre-kvitova--1004736

ElusiveChanteuse
Jan 17th, 2012, 12:16 PM
:cheer:

Petronius
Jan 17th, 2012, 12:51 PM
When is the next match? Thanks.

Petronius
Jan 17th, 2012, 01:51 PM
A harmless Dushevina was a great 1R opponent for a rusty Petra. Although Petra served like cr*p at the beginning, she then got angry with herself and played very good. She said she is satisified with her return game. Thank god Petra didn't draw Dulgheru again, who almost knocked out Zvonareva. Dushevina can't even hit a decent forehand.

flyingmachine
Jan 17th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Its round 2 now. ;)

Coconut91
Jan 17th, 2012, 04:21 PM
I don't want to get my hopes too high, but it's hard not to see Petra in the semis. I feel that even today's semieffort performance would be enough to beat Carla/Kiri/Ana. :shrug:

I don't think her serve was mediocre because of the wind, but she should have enough margin of time and matchplay to tune it. Playing in the night session could help greatly too.
Her groundstrokes and ROS looked good, which suggests she'll be safe for the next couple of rounds. :)

Petronius
Jan 17th, 2012, 04:52 PM
I don't want to get my hopes too high, but it's hard not to see Petra in the semis. I feel that even today's semieffort performance would be enough to beat Carla/Kiri/Ana. :shrug:

I don't think her serve was mediocre because of the wind, but she should have enough margin of time and matchplay to tune it. Playing in the night session could help greatly too.
Her groundstrokes and ROS looked good, which suggests she'll be safe for the next couple of rounds. :)

Don't forget about a possible QF with Bartoli. If the wind conditions are like at Eastbourne, then Lord have mercy. Marion will also want to get revenge for the Hopman Cup.

lupojohn
Jan 17th, 2012, 05:16 PM
I'm not scared of Bartoli. In fact, the only 2 players who I think can beat Petra are Kim and Serena. Based on their 1st Round performances, i'm not so sure anymore.

Petronius
Jan 17th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I'm not scared of Bartoli. In fact, the only 2 players who I think can beat Petra are Kim and Serena. Based on their 1st Round performances, i'm not so sure anymore.

and Li Na... Anyway, every match is different and anything may happen and that's what's beautiful about tennis.

lupojohn
Jan 17th, 2012, 05:41 PM
You're right. Na scares me, but I don't think she's getting to the final.

Sharapovian
Jan 17th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Unfortunately missed the match, but the scoreline indicates she won comfortably. Understandable that she's a bit rusty, and it does take time to get used to different conditions.

Don't want to look too far ahead as anything can happen, but with this draw Petra should reach the Semis :shrug:

18majors
Jan 18th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Hey! She got the first one, did it quickly, and ducked back into the locker room before the severe heat came out. That's a good start. Lol.

I liked the reintroduction of the offensive change of pace, slices, drop shots, angled top spin side line shot, volleys and stepping into the court the way she did (like the YEC) in lieu of the Ozzie Open. I smell tactical game plans brewing utilizing Petra's variety (also like the YEC)? She needs to keep doing that in her next matches for the heavy hitters (and weak ones) that don't like change of pace.

Her ground strokes and court coverage were decent to good. It was windy, so everyone had problems it seemed serving today, so I'll excuse her double faults to first day kinks. But she needs to straighten that out for the bigger fish down the line or her next opponent.

Speaking about that, onward to the next opponent!

BREAKING! @TennisChannel reaches agreement with Verizon FiOS TV in time 4 Aussie Open coverage. TC now available in FiOS TV markets in...
TX, FL, CA, NJ, PENN & upstate New York & will be available in all other FiOS markets by Wednesday (Jan 18). So if your shutout make switch

Excelscior
Jan 18th, 2012, 01:40 AM
BREAKING! @TennisChannel reaches agreement with Verizon FiOS TV in time 4 Aussie Open coverage. TC now available in FiOS TV markets in...
TX, FL, CA, NJ, PENN & upstate New York & will be available in all other FiOS markets by Wednesday (Jan 18). So if your shutout make switch

Thank You.

I have both, but been shut out with the Tennis Channel since the US Open, cause of their disputes.

Will they really be on that soon (tommorow/Weds)?

If so, this is great news. I look into it.

Thanks Again.

And good to hear from you again 18 Majors.

Excelscior
Jan 18th, 2012, 06:09 AM
Petra third up on Hisense tommorow , after the Tsonga, Mello match.

AfroIYH
Jan 18th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Be interesting to see Richard Krajicek's sister knock out Ivanovic tomorrow, before Petra dominates.

Petronius
Jan 18th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Be interesting to see Richard Krajicek's sister knock out Ivanovic tomorrow, before Petra dominates.

I am rooting for Krajicek (or "Krajíčková") Like her famous brother she's of Czech origin and practices in the Czech Republic like Petra (she lives in Prague).

BTW, it's interesting that when her brother beat Sampras in the 1996 Wimbledon QF (and then went on to win the title), it was the only match that Sampras lost at Wimbledon during the 1993-2000 period !

Excelscior
Jan 18th, 2012, 05:36 PM
@18Majors

Thanks again for the heads up on Verizon Fios and Tennis Channel.

When I left the house this morning The Tennis Channel was up and running, including HD.

Unfortunately/fortunately, Petra's on Hisense today, so I may have to watch her on a stream anyway (with Sharapova, Serena and Djoker playing similar times on RLA). We'll see?

Nonetheless, it's good to have the TC back on Verizon Fios, NYC.

18majors
Jan 18th, 2012, 06:24 PM
@18Majors

Thanks again for the heads up on Verizon Fios and Tennis Channel.

When I left the house this morning The Tennis Channel was up and running, including HD.

Unfortunately/fortunately, Petra's on Hisense today, so I may have to watch her on a stream anyway (with Sharapova, Serena and Djoker playing similar times on RLA). We'll see?

Nonetheless, it's good to have the TC back on Verizon Fios, NYC.

Excelscior, you're the most welcome.

Most likely, they will show Petra closing out the match.

Excelscior
Jan 18th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Excelscior, you're the most welcome.

Most likely, they will show Petra closing out the match.

Yeah.

Maybe Djoko, Serena and Sharapova's matches can end quickly before Petra's match, and they'll show most of hers (though I'll still have the stream going)? Somehow I doubt it, especially with Tsonga playing on Hisense before Petra. Lol

We'll see, and we'll be ready! Lol

Excelscior
Jan 18th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Ironically, ESPN claims Petra will be one of their 4 featured matches tonight when they come on the air tonight at 11pm. I hope tennis channel does the same, if she's on during their 7-11pm broadcast, as well.

Petronius
Jan 18th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Petra's match should be the third match in the Hisense Arena. Livescorehunter expects the match to start at 5:00 a.m. CET (i.e. 4:00 a.m. UK, 11:00 pm US-East), obviously unless any of the previous two matches lasts longer than expected - I hope both Tsonga and Misa Krajicek will win quickly :lol:

Other interesting matches today:

Serena - Barbora ZS
Zvonareva - Hradecka

AfroIYH
Jan 18th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Eurosport should hopefully be showing Petra's match but the matches they showed mid session yesterday weren't the best choices, especially Wozniacki's, I had hoped Tatishivilli would make it a match.

tennisrules
Jan 19th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Petra dodged a big bullet there. I had fleeting moments of Petra losing to Li Na at Sydney after winning the first set 6-2.

Sometimes the top stars have that one match during the first week where they barely hang on yet fight through - maybe this was Petra's match. Hopefully she can relax more her 3rd rounder.

claypova
Jan 19th, 2012, 05:57 AM
whats up with Petra? :sobbing: she gave me a heart attack after i saw her down 0-2 in 3rd set :facepalm:

play better please :tears:

cosmoose
Jan 19th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Petra dodged a big bullet there. I had fleeting moments of Petra losing to Li Na at Sydney after winning the first set 6-2.

Sometimes the top stars have that one match during the first week where they barely hang on yet fight through - maybe this was Petra's match. Hopefully she can relax more her 3rd rounder.

C'mon Petra! you're the chosen one!!! :D
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs1/1883898_o.gif

bruce goose
Jan 19th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Perhaps this shouldn't get mentioned here,but Petra truly is riding a seesaw,from one end of the beauty scale to the other,with her opponents.She started with Dushevina:hearts:...then plummeted to Suarez Navarro:eek:...now she might be going back up again with Makiri.........Anyway,I couldn't help noticing that:lol:,but I don't really care if Petra maintains this 'pattern' as long as she keeps advancing:cool:

Sasja
Jan 19th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Glad she pulled through :p

As tennisrules said, hopefully this is the bad match of the tournament for her. Just fighting hard for the win. Hope she can improve the next rounds.

ArcticMoose
Jan 19th, 2012, 06:42 AM
whats up with Petra? :sobbing: she gave me a heart attack after i saw her down 0-2 in 3rd set :facepalm:

play better please :tears:

:angel: If you are a card carrying Petra supporter :D then this is a de-rigueur requirement of membership :p portable CPR packs are available at the 'Petra Fan Store' :D ... also there is a warning printed in small letters at the back of the supporter card "you will age prematurely & quickly" ...;)

Excelscior
Jan 19th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Okay, so we got the Petra siesta.

Totally got over confident, cocky, casual and didn't respect her opponent. She stopped setting up/constructing her points after her easy first set (that she should of won 6-0), giving Navarro some confidence in the second set. Could of kept it to two sets if she didn't blow the easy pick up/netter/break point, then seemed to go in a funk.

Too much indecision and fooling around in that second set, leading to poor footwork, missed volleys, first serves and shots in general. Sloppy second set.

I'm going to take this as her one bad walk about match. Hopefully she's learned her lesson, and re-adjust a lot sooner when she gets careless. Maybe some bigger upcoming names coming up will keep her more focused? The good thing is, she had to fight back and maybe think about a upset, then came back. Most of the other top womens early round foes have totally laid down giving their faves a false sense of security (especially the previously injjured big stars).

Nobody will remember this when you win the title.

But no more siesta's. Now go get em Petra!

HowardH
Jan 19th, 2012, 07:58 AM
:angel: If you are a card carrying Petra supporter :D then this is a de-rigueur requirement of membership :p portable CPR packs are available at the 'Petra Fan Store' :D ... also there is a warning printed in small letters at the back of the supporter card "you will age prematurely & quickly" ...;)

Yep.

This is Petra's tennis.
This is normal.
She hits. Sometimes it goes in.
Sometimes it goes into outer space.

Her coach has probably had to learn to zone it all out. Otherwise it would be way too stressful.

AfroIYH
Jan 19th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Well, her Forehand worked great in the 1st set, thats the positive, but had Suarez Navarro not had the injury scare with her left leg, Petra would've been out of the Aussie Open.

HowardH
Jan 19th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Well, her Forehand worked great in the 1st set, thats the positive, but had Suarez Navarro not had the injury scare with her left leg, Petra would've been out of the Aussie Open.

I think that that was indeed a bit lucky. It came at just the right time- if Carla had played a bit better in that game and gotten a 3-0 lead it would have been very tough for Petra. And after that Carla was a bit unsure of her footwork which resulted in more mistimed shots, particularly on her bh, which had been very good till then.

I guess luck is also important when you try to win big tournaments. Luck favours the brave right? Either that or it's actually totally random.

Queen Petra Fan
Jan 19th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Wow that was bad today! :eek:

I really do feel like I aged watching that trainwreck of a performance. Ooof! :sad:

What in the hell is that girl thinking about out there sometimes? :confused:

She really does just drift off into space. It's bizarre. I've never seen anybody before whose game just disappears and reappears so easily. Thank god she won somehow.

I need to rest after witnessing that. :lol:

:worship: Queen Petra's GS mojo can only be stopped by Petra. :worship:

AfroIYH
Jan 19th, 2012, 09:18 AM
I think that that was indeed a bit lucky. It came at just the right time- if Carla had played a bit better in that game and gotten a 3-0 lead it would have been very tough for Petra. And after that Carla was a bit unsure of her footwork which resulted in more mistimed shots, particularly on her bh, which had been very good till then.

I guess luck is also important when you try to win big tournaments. Luck favours the brave right? Either that or it's actually totally random.
Fortune favours the brave, Luck is random. Glad Petra's on the right side of the equation though.

chirag
Jan 19th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Hi guys .She pulled it out today :D .I heard she was almost in tears after losing game 1 of set 3 .But she has won and is in R3 which is what matters

paulmara
Jan 19th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Petra : She played very well, especially in the second set, when she immediately broke me. It was hard to get back … I didn´t play very clever. It was mentally difficult.

http://www.rozhlas.cz/zpravy/tenis/_zprava/byl-to-tezky-zapas-hlavne-psychicky-rika-petra-kvitova-po-boji-se-suarezovou--1005911
http://sport.idnes.cz/kvitova-se-ocitla-v-uzkych-pripomnelo-mi-to-finale-fed-cupu-rikala-1c1-/tenis.aspx?c=A120119_085153_tenis_vis

Petronius
Jan 19th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Petra's comments:

Suarez is a very difficult opponent for the 2nd round. I remember that not long time ago she defeated Venus Williams here at AO.
I didn't play very smart, it was a tough match mentally.
I mainly struggled with her one-handed backhand, I never knew what to expect from that backhand - a winner, a huge shot or a chop stroke.
Last time I felt so bad was the FedCup final match against Kuznetsova, when I was down 0-3 in the third set. I also had some memories of my loss in the 1st round of the US Open.
It was definitely the most difficult match in the new season.

Excelscior
Jan 19th, 2012, 03:20 PM
I hear what Petra's saying about Suarez Navarro and all, but anyone who saw that match could tell (after the first set) Petra abandoned the game plan and just started trying to hit untimely winners, was late on net attempts and follow up shot preparation, acting as if she was not expecting any more good shots of hers to be returned after the NID 1st (which was deceiving, cause CSN was putting up a fight and you knew wasn't going to lay down).

Of course someone is going to get more confident when they know all they have to do is get the ball back over the net and wait for an error, while hitting the occasional winner to keep Petra guessing and off balance. Yeah! WTF!? Lol

That match was NID and Petra made it much harder on herself. It's good she acknowledged she played dumb and mentally checked out (no matter how scary that sounds).

Hopefully, she got that stinker out the way, and learned a valuable lesson.

Vikapower
Jan 20th, 2012, 04:18 AM
I saw a bit of Petra's match from the second but I'll just say Carla Suarez is really not that of an easy player to deal with... she has lots of spins, great angles... relative power [...] -- like noted out she defeated Venus here some years aback but it's nice to see that Petra didn't check out from to 0-2 down and really came back strong(er).

Sasja
Jan 20th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Tomorrow's OOP is out. Petra vs Kirilenko is the 1st match on RLA at 11.00 am local time.

:cheer:

Excelscior
Jan 20th, 2012, 05:58 AM
Petra first up on Rod Laver tomorrow vs Kirilenko, 11am Melbourne time (7pm US EST/NYC Time).

Good Luck Petra!!

bruce goose
Jan 20th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Looks like Petra might have back-to-back matches coming up with Cover Girls who are fairly mediocre from a tennis standpoint...so Petra will disappoint all the horny Australians by kicking the objects of their affection back to the fashion magazine pages where they belong:p(though,to be fair,Kirilenko is an excellent dubs player)...the backlash from that will,thankfully,ensure that she never gets branded the idiotic moniker 'Aussie Petra':silly:

flyingmachine
Jan 20th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Looks like Petra might have back-to-back matches coming up with Cover Girls who are fairly mediocre from a tennis standpoint...so Petra will disappoint all the horny Australians by kicking the objects of their affection back to the fashion magazine pages where they belong:p(though,to be fair,Kirilenko is an excellent dubs player)...the backlash from that will,thankfully,ensure that she never gets branded the idiotic moniker 'Aussie Petra':silly:

Unless she decided to dump Adam and get an Aussie steak there will be no Aussie Petra. :p
This match it looks like she got a problem with Carla and she's not playing too well she herself either. :o Anyway, the next match will be OK. I don't think Maria K will be a tricky customer like Carla does. However, I still worry about her lapse of concentration at times. :unsure:
I think the summaries of this match are:
1, She is not playing her best tennis. I do hope she will have a upper gear at the 2nd week. :rolleyes:
2, She pull it off like a true Champion. :) a sign of a Great Champion and as we know it she is far from a finished product. ;)

chirag
Jan 20th, 2012, 02:36 PM
worried about tomorrow

ArcticMoose
Jan 20th, 2012, 04:09 PM
worried about tomorrow
:) Couple of suggestions - Have a browse at Kirilenko's Orchestra - Kiri's fans will verbalise their fears in there & you will realise soon that your fears are not as bad as theirs:D

:p The article below from a psychotherapist who follows the WTA should help you bring perspective to the on-court kvitty drama routine :angel:
Thursday, January 19, 2012

Petra-fied

Carla Suarez Navarro, with her heavy topspin and her impressive one-handed backhand, has been known to confound more than one top player. Yesterday, the Spaniard went after Australian Open 2nd seed Petra Kvitova, who proceeded to obviously (Chris Evert, she isn't) unravel before spectators' eyes. Kvitova easily won the first set 6-2, but then Suarez Navarro became more aggressive, her shot-making became rhythically accurate, and Kvitova became a mess.

When people are under stress, they tend to regress to older, less desirable, behavior. Kvitova is a case study in this type of regression: When she is in panic mode, she returns to the wild-swinging, "hit a winner at all costs" type of play that used to be her downfall. Her forehand tends to break down. And her feet either freeze or appear to be tangled on the court. The thing is, Kvitova can put spin on the ball, she can move as deftly as she needs to--but she stops doing these things when her fear takes over.

After taking the second set 6-2, Suarez Navarro proceeded to break Kvitova and go up 2-0. And just when it appeared she was about to go up 3-0--when Kvitova's facial expression was that of a woman with no answers--the Czech player began to use good sense. She stopped the wild swinging, slowed down her game, and calmed down enough to find her serve. When that happened, her confidence returned, too, and she won the set 6-4.

After the match, Kvitova acknowledged that, though her high-risk game means that she makes a lot of errors, "I made many, many mistakes." She said, in so many words, that she realized she had to lower her margin of error.

It's to her credit that Petra Kvitova found a way to get herself out of a second round crash. Her comeback was, in fact, impressive. The 2011 Player of the Year said just recently that winning as an "outsider" was much easier than winning as the world number 2. Sounds like it's time to book a coffee date with Billie Jean King

lupojohn
Jan 20th, 2012, 04:55 PM
I want to see Petra take it to Maria early. Hit a lot of wide serves and keep her away from the net. No drop shots. Stand inside the baseline and rip those returns. Watching the match the other night was agony. Suarez Navarro is a crafty player, but there's no excuse to be down 2-0 in the 3rd set. No one's peerfect, and a match like that will help Petra here and in the future(learning experience), but I just want to see a comprehensive, straightforward win tonight.

Queen Petra Fan
Jan 20th, 2012, 05:12 PM
:) Couple of suggestions - Have a browse at Kirilenko's Orchestra - Kiri's fans will verbalise their fears in there & you will realise soon that your fears are not as bad as theirs:D

:p The article below from a psychotherapist who follows the WTA should help you bring perspective to the on-court kvitty drama routine :angel:
Thursday, January 19, 2012

Petra-fied

Carla Suarez Navarro, with her heavy topspin and her impressive one-handed backhand, has been known to confound more than one top player. Yesterday, the Spaniard went after Australian Open 2nd seed Petra Kvitova, who proceeded to obviously (Chris Evert, she isn't) unravel before spectators' eyes. Kvitova easily won the first set 6-2, but then Suarez Navarro became more aggressive, her shot-making became rhythically accurate, and Kvitova became a mess.

When people are under stress, they tend to regress to older, less desirable, behavior. Kvitova is a case study in this type of regression: When she is in panic mode, she returns to the wild-swinging, "hit a winner at all costs" type of play that used to be her downfall. Her forehand tends to break down. And her feet either freeze or appear to be tangled on the court. The thing is, Kvitova can put spin on the ball, she can move as deftly as she needs to--but she stops doing these things when her fear takes over.

After taking the second set 6-2, Suarez Navarro proceeded to break Kvitova and go up 2-0. And just when it appeared she was about to go up 3-0--when Kvitova's facial expression was that of a woman with no answers--the Czech player began to use good sense. She stopped the wild swinging, slowed down her game, and calmed down enough to find her serve. When that happened, her confidence returned, too, and she won the set 6-4.

After the match, Kvitova acknowledged that, though her high-risk game means that she makes a lot of errors, "I made many, many mistakes." She said, in so many words, that she realized she had to lower her margin of error.

It's to her credit that Petra Kvitova found a way to get herself out of a second round crash. Her comeback was, in fact, impressive. The 2011 Player of the Year said just recently that winning as an "outsider" was much easier than winning as the world number 2. Sounds like it's time to book a coffee date with Billie Jean King

Nice post Moose!

Based on their last match at the Fed Cup I expect Petra to get her act together tomorrow and finally play a strong match with more of her old form. I just think she's overdo for a really great match and she shouldn't really have any strong reasons to fear Maria. She just needs to stay calm but intense, and play her game. I think she's going to spank Kirilenko, and frankly, I'm a little jealous! :lol:

I'll be up nice and early to catch this one. Go Petra Go!!!! :bounce:

:worship: Queen Petra's GS mojo cannot be stopped by a sex toy for Russian jocks! :worship:

ElusiveChanteuse
Jan 20th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Come on Petra!!! Prove me wrong and show your fighting spirit!!! SHe'll need that in AO for sure.

AfroIYH
Jan 20th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Ok fellas, who's ready to have a heart attack today?

flyingmachine
Jan 20th, 2012, 11:54 PM
Ok fellas, who's ready to have a heart attack today?
God it reminds me of good old juju days. :bounce: When I and all these Justinetards watched Justine playing. :) :sad:

bruce goose
Jan 21st, 2012, 12:23 AM
Even though Makiri is a sweet,likable gal,it's time for Petra to go ballistic on her and show the world what Lioness Mode really means:cool:

AfroIYH
Jan 21st, 2012, 12:52 AM
Well Petra's opponents need to take note regardless of the injury.

Sasja
Jan 21st, 2012, 12:58 AM
Well Petra's opponents need to take note regardless of the injury.

Yeah, Petra really played well this match.

http://i41.tinypic.com/mtqhy.jpg

Petronius
Jan 21st, 2012, 01:04 AM
I loved it! Please, Petra get to the semis and show this against Serena. But let's not get carried away. One step at a time. Good luck in the fourth round!

Sharapovian
Jan 21st, 2012, 01:08 AM
Much better match (even though it only lasted a set), she came out focused from the first point and was completely zoning on her shots. Next round shouldn't be too much of a problem if she plays this way.

Excelscior
Jan 21st, 2012, 01:14 AM
[QUOTE=Sasja;20795763]Yeah, Petra really played well this match.

[IMG]

Don't think Kirilenko was really hurt. I didn't see it happen or noticed any grimace.

It's a shame, cause Petra was playing really well, and didn't get a full work out in match conditions. Maybe her coach should have her go out and hit?

Nonetheless she did exactly what I expected/hoped for, which was hitting/returning with depth-well within the court, serving well, moving forward much sooner/punishing short balls, and volleying, taking balls out the air, along with better foot work and movement. That's exactly how she played Kirilenko at Fed Cup on the alleged "Petra Proof, slow ass, high bounce hard courts. Dominance (regardles of Kiri was hurt or not; which I don't)!

Incredible 23 winners to 3 UE, winning 8/9 net points in a 6-0 set and 1 game in the second set.

OK.

On toward the next one!

RetroDonkey
Jan 21st, 2012, 01:15 AM
23 winners versus 3 UE... If she's ever around even in that category, usually she wins... with that much difference, nobody has a chance!!!

Neither Vania or Ana should be able to put up much opposition in the 4th, but I hope she get's to play Bartoli in QF as don't want her to come up against an in form Jie Zheng.

Also, very few surprises in the tournament so far... Stosur the only top 10 out, other than Petkovic, who had to withdraw beforehand due to an injury. Don't know why, but I smell the 2nd one dropping in this match... something says Kerber is going to send Sharapova packing.

RetroDonkey
Jan 21st, 2012, 01:21 AM
[QUOTE=Sasja;20795763]Yeah, Petra really played well this match.

[IMG]

Don't think Kirilenko was really hurt. I didn't see it happen or any grimace.

I'm not sold on the injury thing either. I think Kirilenko just realised that it was probably going to be a double bagel and wanted out as soon as possible. Either way, should be a real confidence booster for the next round...

Still, not the slightest bit surprised by the dominance... maybe a tad more surprised about only 3 UE through the 7 games they played. The first game lasted 10 minutes, too... and she had the time to hit 23 winners... so clearly the opportunity to make a fair share of UE was there, too.

Glad to see total focus... and encouraged for the road forward. Watching Azarenka yesterday, who typically breezes through the opening rounds and finds it a bit tougher later, made me think the the SF in the bottom half will definitely decide the winner of this tournament. Petra would beat Clijsters... might get a bit nervy against Li, as she has in other recent matchups, but she's still clearly the better of the two.

Serena-Kvitova

That's where it's at! Just hope both get to the SF because that's the match I wanted to see from the beginning of the tourney.

flyingmachine
Jan 21st, 2012, 01:26 AM
[QUOTE=Excelscior;20795872]

I'm not sold on the injury thing either. I think Kirilenko just realised that it was probably going to be a double bagel and wanted out as soon as possible. Either way, should be a real confidence booster for the next round...

Still, not the slightest bit surprised by the dominance... maybe a tad more surprised about only 3 UE through the 7 games they played. The first game lasted 10 minutes, too... and she had the time to hit 23 winners... so clearly the opportunity to make a fair share of UE was there, too.

Glad to see total focus... and encouraged for the road forward. Watching Azarenka yesterday, who typically breezes through the opening rounds and finds it a bit tougher later, made me think the the SF in the bottom half will definitely decide the winner of this tournament. Petra would beat Clijsters... might get a bit nervy against Li, as she has in other recent matchups, but she's still clearly the better of the two.

Serena-Kvitova

That's where it's at! Just hope both get to the SF because that's the match I wanted to see from the beginning of the tourney.

What Petra was doing today are very encouraging. I do hope she will able maintain it till the end. What a shame that it ended like this. Anyway, NEXT!

RetroDonkey
Jan 21st, 2012, 02:02 AM
So much for my Kerber prediction :P Sharapova is destroying her

bruce goose
Jan 21st, 2012, 02:10 AM
We'll see if Makiri withdraws from dubs or not;if she doesn't,then that lends credence to the theory that she only had some soreness and decided to spare herself another inevitable Petra beating like the one we saw at Fed Cup....Don't really care what the motive was,just glad to see the Lioness in form.....VAMOS,Petra:bounce:!!

AfroIYH
Jan 21st, 2012, 02:29 AM
23 winners versus 3 UE... If she's ever around even in that category, usually she wins... with that much difference, nobody has a chance!!!

Neither Vania or Ana should be able to put up much opposition in the 4th, but I hope she get's to play Bartoli in QF as don't want her to come up against an in form Jie Zheng.

Also, very few surprises in the tournament so far... Stosur the only top 10 out, other than Petkovic, who had to withdraw beforehand due to an injury. Don't know why, but I smell the 2nd one dropping in this match... something says Kerber is going to send Sharapova packing.

Schiavone's also Top 10 but thats only if you count by Seeds. I thought Pavly(long name) would have gone deeper though.

RetroDonkey
Jan 21st, 2012, 02:36 AM
Schiavone's also Top 10 but thats only if you count by Seeds. I thought Pavly(long name) would have gone deeper though.

Ya that's true... Schiavone is only ranked #11 in the world though. Plus she's pretty much horrible on hard surfaces. I like the way she battles and her attitude, but you kind of get the sense that her day in the sun has come and gone at Roland Garros. Still, I thought that after she won it in 2010 and what did she do last year? Only followed it up by reaching the final again... Nothing but guts in that woman. Smart player with lots of tricky shots. Her stature makes the feat about as special as when Michael Chang won the French.

RetroDonkey
Jan 21st, 2012, 02:38 AM
Also... Kerber is making a match of this again :)

AfroIYH
Jan 21st, 2012, 02:39 AM
The last gasp of her career has been over for a few months now but Quarters last year, it still is shocking I'd of expected her to at least make the Third round.

RetroDonkey
Jan 21st, 2012, 02:43 AM

Everyone rates Pavlyuchenkova really highly... but I don't see it. She has a decent game, but chokes so often. Also, she doesn't really strike me as the brightest girl. Seen quite a few matches where she would dominate the first set, only to lose all but a few games after that point. Maybe a bit like Petra with the concentration, but she never seems to recover.

Jankovic is another one that almost never wins 3-setters. If she gets taken to 3 these days, odds are that she will lose it. Her game is nothing but an inconsistent version of Caroline Wozniacki lately, though. I think I've only seen her play one really impressive match in the last year or so... and that was against Petra in Linz. Petra still beat her, though :)

RetroDonkey
Jan 21st, 2012, 02:49 AM
The last gasp of her career has been over for a few months now but Quarters last year, it still is shocking I'd of expected her to at least make the Third round.

Italy have got another little one through to the 4th round though in Errani. Good for her... she works her ass off and deserves it.

Also, Roberta Vinci had a great year last year, too... So even if Schiavone decides to call it quits, still a few bright spots for their women. Much more than can be said for their men. For all the positiveness of the Italian women, their men are exactly the opposite. Seppi might be the only exception, but guys like Fognini are just a waste of talent.

Jason A.
Jan 21st, 2012, 03:34 AM
Well, as a fan of both girls maybe I can add a bit of perspective here. I've loved Makiri ever since watching her push Serena to the brink at the French back in 2004. I've got a history with Maria, and I would have loved it if she could have pulled the upset here. Yes, it's not nice to be rooting for one favorite player over another, but I always tend to back the underdog in these types of situations. That said, I'll be the first to admit that Maria had almost no hope of winning this match; this was the best tennis that I've ever seen Petra play. Maria looked as if she was ready to play a really good match of her own, but I still think that she would have struggled to even win a game or two. Petra was just too good.

I'm sure that Makiri would have congratulated Petra on how good she played when they shook hands, because that's just how Maria is. She is a class act, and not just a pretty face. Any suggestion that she faked or exaggerated the extent of her injury in order to avoid getting a double-bagel is just nonsense. Maria is a veteran, and she certainly isn't stupid. She would have known that it would have been tough for Petra to keep up that standard of tennis for the entire match without having a letdown at some point. If there was any hope of Petra maybe letting Maria back into this match, I'm sure that Maria would have wanted to play on in order to take advantage of it.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jan 21st, 2012, 03:48 AM
:drool:

Barktra
Jan 21st, 2012, 04:08 AM
Petra's drawing opening up. If she beats Ivanovic she will have to face Zheng or Errani in QF :drool:

bruce goose
Jan 21st, 2012, 04:12 AM
Well,Petra's 4th Round opponent is set and,quite frankly,this would be an embarrassing defeat of Flash over Substance if our gal blew this easy shot at a QF.If she just comes out strongly and dominates early in the 1st set,then Petra will break her foe's weak will and make her quit as she does so often when things go badly.All the same,it's the kind of marquee win that would draw more attention to Petra's AO title campaign

Queen Petra Fan
Jan 21st, 2012, 07:40 AM
Petra's drawing opening up. If she beats Ivanovic she will have to face Zheng or Errani in QF :drool:

Errani looked great against Cirstea but her serve is no threat to Petra, especially her 2nd serve. Petra will blast it all day long if they meet. Errani does do a great job of keeping the ball between the lines though. Petra would be wise to avoid long rallies with her. If Petra brings her good net game to the match (Petra has better hands) and plays aggressive, she'll be fine if they should meet. :cool:

:worship: Queen Petra's Aussie GS mojo cannot be stopped by a talent deficient former computer No.1! :worship:

Queen Petra Fan
Jan 21st, 2012, 07:50 AM
Based on their last match at the Fed Cup I expect Petra to get her act together tomorrow and finally play a strong match with more of her old form. I just think she's overdo for a really great match and she shouldn't really have any strong reasons to fear Maria. She just needs to stay calm but intense, and play her game. I think she's going to spank Kirilenko, and frankly, I'm a little jealous! :lol:

:worship: Queen Petra's AO GS mojo cannot be stopped by a bimbo Barbie doll! :worship:

This match was too easy to call. I expect more of the same Petra dominance in her next match. Go Petra Go!!!!! :bounce:

AfroIYH
Jan 21st, 2012, 11:34 AM
I think RetroDonkey jinxed it, we had Zvonareva and Bartoli go today. Ivanovic vs. Petra should be good, hopefully Petra should destroy Ivanovic.

Petronius
Jan 21st, 2012, 01:24 PM
Ivanovic a threat to Kvitova Darren Walton
January 22, 2012

Going strong: Ana Ivanovic takes on Petra Kvitova in the fourth round tomorrow. Photo: AP
ADOPTED Aussie Ana Ivanovic has emerged as a deadly threat to Petra Kvitova's world No. 1 aspirations after booking a heavyweight Australian Open showdown with the explosive Czech.

Ivanovic is one of the few players boasting an unbeaten record against Kvitova and takes on the Wimbledon champion tomorrow with no plans of leaving her beloved Melbourne any time soon. The resurgent Serb is eyeing her first grand slam quarter-final berth since winning the 2008 French Open, after seeing off unseeded American Vania King 6-3, 6-4 in the third round yesterday.

Kvitova barely raised a sweat in advancing to the last 16 when Russian Maria Kirilenko retired with a thigh injury while trailing 6-0, 1-0 at Rod Laver Arena.

Advertisement: Story continues below Kvitova, though, will doubtless be more anxious about facing Ivanovic, the former world No. 1 and 2008 Open runner-up who leads their career series 3-0.

Ivanovic played down her dominant record over the heir apparent to Caroline Wozniacki's top ranking, but admitted a coveted spot in the last eight was a driving motivation.

''Oh, it would be great. That's definitely my goal,'' the Serb said. ''I always want to take it one match at a time. Next match will get me there.

''It's going to be a very tough one. Petra is definitely playing some great tennis. She's one of the hottest players at the moment. It's going to be a great challenge for me.

''But I'm really happy to go out there and throw my best at her. The better player will win.''

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/sport/tennis/ivanovic-a-threat-to-kvitova-20120121-1qbis.html#ixzz1k6BbaZ7g

bruce goose
Jan 21st, 2012, 03:08 PM
Ivanovic a threat to Kvitova Darren Walton
January 22, 2012

Going strong: Ana Ivanovic takes on Petra Kvitova in the fourth round tomorrow. Photo: AP
ADOPTED Aussie Ana Ivanovic has emerged as a deadly threat to Petra Kvitova's world No. 1 aspirations after booking a heavyweight Australian Open showdown with the explosive Czech.

Ivanovic is one of the few players boasting an unbeaten record against Kvitova and takes on the Wimbledon champion tomorrow with no plans of leaving her beloved Melbourne any time soon. The resurgent Serb is eyeing her first grand slam quarter-final berth since winning the 2008 French Open, after seeing off unseeded American Vania King 6-3, 6-4 in the third round yesterday.

Kvitova barely raised a sweat in advancing to the last 16 when Russian Maria Kirilenko retired with a thigh injury while trailing 6-0, 1-0 at Rod Laver Arena.

Advertisement: Story continues below Kvitova, though, will doubtless be more anxious about facing Ivanovic, the former world No. 1 and 2008 Open runner-up who leads their career series 3-0.

Ivanovic played down her dominant record over the heir apparent to Caroline Wozniacki's top ranking, but admitted a coveted spot in the last eight was a driving motivation.

''Oh, it would be great. That's definitely my goal,'' the Serb said. ''I always want to take it one match at a time. Next match will get me there.

''It's going to be a very tough one. Petra is definitely playing some great tennis. She's one of the hottest players at the moment. It's going to be a great challenge for me.

''But I'm really happy to go out there and throw my best at her. The better player will win.''

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/sport/tennis/ivanovic-a-threat-to-kvitova-20120121-1qbis.html#ixzz1k6BbaZ7gThe only 'threat' Ana could pose to Petra would be if Petra foolishly decided to strike up a friendship with the dizzy,shallow girl and began taking advice from her on how to handle her tennis career:rolleyes:....

....UNLESS Petra had,as a goal,sleeping with the top two ATP players simultaneously....THEN she'd be talking to an expert:lol:..Rafa's and Nole's gfs would then add Petra-face dartboards to the ones they already have for the Serb:p

paulmara
Jan 21st, 2012, 03:42 PM
Health update: Achilles tendon injury not 100% yet
Petra is 2 weeks behind her condition schedule. Should be ready for Doha.

http://www.rozhlas.cz/zpravy/tenis/_zprava/zkratovych-momentu-ma-petra-stale-min-rika-kondicni-trener-ivanko--1007224
http://www.rozhlas.cz/zpravy/tenis/_zprava/opravdu-jsem-vedela-co-hrat-vypozorovala-herni-zlepseni-kvitova--1007178

(Note JAS from Anapolis: „Anyhoo, hoping that Ana can make Petra her bitch tomorrow.“)

bruce goose
Jan 22nd, 2012, 03:06 AM
Petra is 2 weeks behind her condition schedule. Should be ready for Doha.

http://www.rozhlas.cz/zpravy/tenis/_zprava/zkratovych-momentu-ma-petra-stale-min-rika-kondicni-trener-ivanko--1007224
http://www.rozhlas.cz/zpravy/tenis/_zprava/opravdu-jsem-vedela-co-hrat-vypozorovala-herni-zlepseni-kvitova--1007178

(Note JAS from Anapolis: „Anyhoo, hoping that Ana can make Petra her bitch tomorrow.“)JAS is fairly intelligent and you'll notice that he uses the word 'hoping' b/c he's a realist.Ana is the prototype of the Dizzy Mindless Bitch Armpiece as she's filled that role for Verdasco,Rafa,Nole and Adam Scott.Petra has a refreshingly simpler approach as she seeks to excel as a tennis player while pursuing relationships in her freetime AFTER taking care of business.If Adidas somehow found a loophole to free themselves from that embarrassing,waste-of-money,lifetime services contract,the Serb would retire from the WTA and aimlessly attend Eurotrash coke parties with her sleazy bf and those who succeed him.In contrast,Petra is gonna have some ups and downs as even the legends have had,yet she'll reach down and find the strength within to get herself back on track.Strong people don't become weak barring highly unusual,traumatic circumstances,and Petra has proven to the informed tennis world that her success has been no fluke whatsoever:)

Queen Petra Fan
Jan 22nd, 2012, 03:26 AM
(Note JAS from Anapolis: „Anyhoo, hoping that Ana can make Petra her bitch tomorrow.“)

Ana fans are funny! :haha:
And delusional. :cuckoo:

I wonder if Petra is watching Adam play today in the Junior Boys' Singles tournament? He's locked in a battle against Chih-Jen Ho from Chinese Taipei at the moment. Lost the 1st set 6-4, won the 2nd 6-4. It's up for grabs. Good luck Adamek! :yeah:

With over 1.3 billion people there must be a lot of Hos running around in China I suppose. :lol:

TimeyWimey
Jan 22nd, 2012, 03:36 AM
[/B]

I wonder if Petra is watching Adam play today in the Junior Boys' Singles tournament? He's locked in a battle against Chih-Jen Ho from Chinese Taipei at the moment. Lost the 1st set 6-4, won the 2nd 6-4. It's up for grabs. Good luck Adamek! :yeah:

With over 1.3 billion people there must be a lot of Hos running around in China I suppose. :lol:

adam is break up 4-2 in 3rd :)

bruce goose
Jan 22nd, 2012, 03:50 AM
[/B]

With over 1.3 billion people there must be a lot of Hos running around in China I suppose. :lol:Won't reveal the contents of the correspondence,but I've chatted directly with JAS and,trust me,he's a smart fellow who's WELL aware of what a Clown College that operation is.He's only clinging to the same desperate hope that Chicago Cubs fans do on those rare occasions when the team is remotely competitive.Think about it,how often does that dizzy fraud ever win even 3 matches in a row?Once or twice a year,maybe?This is as close as she ever gets to the top of the tennis world w/o taking her clothes off in Rafa's or Nole's hotel room;)

As for your stab at humor,it was so asinine that one can't help but laugh at how corny it is:p.My guess is that Adam is relatively low-key as the average man would feel somewhat embarrassed that his gf's achievements had dwarfed his own....Don't mean that to put Adam down AT ALL;perhaps he's a great match for Petra thanks to his temperament

Queen Petra Fan
Jan 22nd, 2012, 04:40 AM
Won't reveal the contents of the correspondence,but I've chatted directly with JAS and,trust me,he's a smart fellow who's WELL aware of what a Clown College that operation is.He's only clinging to the same desperate hope that Chicago Cubs fans do on those rare occasions when the team is remotely competitive.Think about it,how often does that dizzy fraud ever win even 3 matches in a row?Once or twice a year,maybe?This is as close as she ever gets to the top of the tennis world w/o taking her clothes off in Rafa's or Nole's hotel room;)

As for your stab at humor,it was so asinine that one can't help but laugh at how corny it is:p.My guess is that Adam is relatively low-key as the average man would feel somewhat embarrassed that his gf's achievements had dwarfed his own....Don't mean that to put Adam down AT ALL;perhaps he's a great match for Petra thanks to his temperament

Like you said Bruce they're entitled to their dreams. And, at least they have plenty of practice at handling disappointment so we don't have to worry about any of them going for a swandive after their heroine gets pummeled tomorrow. :lol:

Yeah, I know my little joke was corny. I have fun laughing at many of the funny surnames floating around. For example, one of my Czech friends married a Scottish guy and now her last name is Woodcock. :lol:
My last name also has a funny second meaning so at least I have to be able to take a joke too. It's all good! :cool:

Sometimes I'm surprised at how vitriolic you are at poor helpless, hopeless Ana. You'll never forgive her for letting you down will you? I wonder how I would handle it if Petra did an Ana and fell on her ass so lamely.

BTW: Since Petra is a non-boozing, girl-next-door, goody-two-shoes, calm, easy going Adamek is probably a good match for her. I see tons of Czech girls over here running around with these mousy, sweet boy types. Go figure! At least he won't try to get in her way on her path to WTA domination. ;)

:worship: Queen Petra's AO GS mojo cannot be stopped! :worship:

bruce goose
Jan 22nd, 2012, 05:57 AM
Like you said Bruce they're entitled to their dreams. And, at least they have plenty of practice at handling disappointment so we don't have to worry about any of them going for a swandive after their heroine gets pummeled tomorrow. :lol:

Yeah, I know my little joke was corny. I have fun laughing at many of the funny surnames floating around. For example, one of my Czech friends married a Scottish guy and now her last name is Woodcock. :lol:
My last name also has a funny second meaning so at least I have to be able to take a joke too. It's all good! :cool:

Sometimes I'm surprised at how vitriolic you are at poor helpless, hopeless Ana. You'll never forgive her for letting you down will you? I wonder how I would handle it if Petra did an Ana and fell on her ass so lamely.

BTW: Since Petra is a non-boozing, girl-next-door, goody-two-shoes, calm, easy going Adamek is probably a good match for her. I see tons of Czech girls over here running around with these mousy, sweet boy types. Go figure! At least he won't try to get in her way on her path to WTA domination. ;)

:worship: Queen Petra's AO GS mojo cannot be stopped! :worship:Have you heard how people who liberate themselves from a religious cult often commit to warning others what a sleazy,dishonest operation it is?Well,that's sorta how it is with me in re my ex-fave:lol:.I'd like the world to know that not only was she a fringe top 20 player who had one fluke 12-month period that she'll never come remotely CLOSE to duplicating again(e.g.: Roger Maris' 61-homer season),but she's also a colossal phony with her heavily-contrived,Serbian-Virgin-Mary,glossy P.R. image.Say what you will in running down Kournikova,yet at least she was HONEST about being a tramp:p

Petra is the Anti-Fraud for me because I took a liking to her when she was only an afterthought on the WTA media scene.I never let her captivate me with any superficial package--nor has Petra ever tried to foist one on the public--therefore my fanship was more clear-minded from the start,based almost entirely on Petra's exploits on the tennis courts.It would shock me if Petra's career went down the tubes quickly,but my support wouldn't waver one iota as long as she didn't do something disgraceful such as becoming the trophy gf of some wealthy Czech war criminal from the Iron Curtain era.I'm a Washington Wizards fan and,in case you weren't aware,they're the biggest assclown operation in the NBA.As a result,there's no degree of pathetic losing that I couldn't adjust to;Petra would have to,literally,go on the court and play blindfolded if she were striving to suck as much as my NBA team does.....I don't picture Petra's stooping to those depths:lol:

AfroIYH
Jan 22nd, 2012, 07:10 AM
So since Kim is most likely facing Wozniacki next (Who Wozniacki has never beaten), a New Number 1 is undoubtedly going to be crowned. Provided Clijster's ankle injury doesn't force her to pull out of course.

As it currently stands if Kim were to defeat Wozniacki, she'd lose 400 points, Petra just needs to finish better than Azarenka or Sharapova if that were to happen.

paulmara
Jan 22nd, 2012, 09:27 AM
"Ivanovic match" Rod Laver Arena 11:00 AM Start Time

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/schedule/p_schedule13.pdf

flyingmachine
Jan 22nd, 2012, 10:12 AM
"Ivanovic match" Rod Laver Arena 11:00 AM Start Time

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/schedule/p_schedule13.pdf

Another early start for Petra. Oh well as long as she keeps her focus like the match against Kiri she will be fine. ;)

mac47
Jan 22nd, 2012, 01:50 PM
So since Kim is most likely facing Wozniacki next (Who Wozniacki has never beaten), a New Number 1 is undoubtedly going to be crowned. Provided Clijster's ankle injury doesn't force her to pull out of course.

As it currently stands if Kim were to defeat Wozniacki, she'd lose 400 points, Petra just needs to finish better than Azarenka or Sharapova if that were to happen.

This is all good news, but frankly, the way Petra's draw is opening up, I'll be a bit disappointed if she doesn't win the title, never mind becoming #1 as an accident arising from the weakness of others.

I also think that unless Kim's injury is trivially insignificant, the finalist from her half of the draw is going to be fresh meat for either Petra or the ravening Renasaurus.

bruce goose
Jan 22nd, 2012, 05:11 PM
My suspicion is that Petra will have to go through the 5-time AO champ but,even if she doesn't(for whatever reason),she's done well enough vs. top players on previous occasions that no intelligent fan could attribute Petra's AO success solely to the easier draw.If Ree DID lose to Makarova or Masha/Lisicki,then it'd be no less than equally plausible that Petra would've beaten her,too

ArcticMoose
Jan 22nd, 2012, 05:12 PM
Won't reveal the contents of the correspondence,but I've chatted directly with JAS and,trust me,he's a smart fellow who's WELL aware of what a Clown College that operation is.He's only clinging to the same desperate hope that Chicago Cubs fans do on those rare occasions when the team is remotely competitive.Think about it,how often does that dizzy fraud ever win even 3 matches in a row?Once or twice a year,maybe?This is as close as she ever gets to the top of the tennis world w/o taking her clothes off in Rafa's or Nole's hotel room;)

Have you heard how people who liberate themselves from a religious cult often commit to warning others what a sleazy,dishonest operation it is?Well,that's sorta how it is with me in re my ex-fave:lol:.I'd like the world to know that not only was she a fringe top 20 player who had one fluke 12-month period that she'll never come remotely CLOSE to duplicating again(e.g.: Roger Maris' 61-homer season),but she's also a colossal phony with her heavily-contrived,Serbian-Virgin-Mary,glossy P.R. image.Say what you will in running down Kournikova,yet at least she was HONEST about being a tramp:p
:lol:Just thought I 'd let you know that all hell has broken lose in 'Anapolis' over these posts by you :D You are definetely now on numerous dartboards! :) (someone from Anapolis was snooping in Kvitty's forum and spotted your posts & posted them there);)

Barktra
Jan 22nd, 2012, 05:16 PM
She will really be a desvering #1 if she beats Serena :cheer:

bruce goose
Jan 22nd, 2012, 05:22 PM
:lol:Just thought I 'd let you know that all hell has broken lose in 'Anapolis' over these posts by you :D You are definetely now on numerous dartboards! :) (someone from Anapolis was snooping in Kvitty's forum and spotted your posts & posted them there);)Well,I play by the rules:angel:: I don't post in their forum or even in GM where any Serb fans would be unfairly subjected to my criticisms.If there are any current Petra/Ana fans here who are offended,then I'll do my best to limit the harshness in the future yet we're in Open Season now that the two are facing each other...with a few moronic tennis writers suggesting that the two gals are near equals:lol:.IMO,Petra will silence that absurd talk by inflicting a decisive ass-whupping today but,if she somehow,miraculously,fails then I'll give due credit to her opponent.

I could tell you some old aphorism about the consequences that come with snooping around in the wrong places,but you've already heard most of them;)
EDIT: It was never my intent to incite that other forum;if I wanted to do THAT,I'd go to GM and fight with them over there...but you'll never catch me doing that.Their ire is solely the result of their opening the wrong door while snooping around...that's their own tough luck!

Petronius
Jan 22nd, 2012, 06:24 PM
Hey guys, please stop this title/No. 1 talk.:rolleyes: You seem to have forgotten very quickly about the tough 2nd round match. Look at what happened to the poor Li Na.

One step at a time, Ivanovic up next.

mac47
Jan 22nd, 2012, 07:38 PM
Yes, yes, one step at a time. But you and I both know that Petra would never have lost if she had been in Na's shoes. Her problem is going mentally AWOL in the middle of matches, not failure to close them out. Petra is a great closer, and she would have won that match with Kim.

cosmoose
Jan 22nd, 2012, 07:38 PM
[/B]

Petra was at the outer court watching Adam play.
According to various tweets, she was not recognized.
So much for "knowledgable" Aussie fans. But I'm sure she enjoyed the privacy.

Just bit of useless bit, both Petra and Ana have boyfriend named Adam. :)

cosmoose
Jan 22nd, 2012, 08:11 PM
Lets breakdown Petra vs. Ana.

SERVE
What can Ana do against Petra's can opener serve to her backhand? nothing. Mix in few missiles down the T and we have Petra domination. Ana's first serve can be big too. But her second serve is cream puff begging to get spanked by Petra. Then there is always Ana's wayward toss. ADVANTAGE PETRA

FOREHAND
Ana has a big forehand. But it has faulty radar and often has trouble finding the court. Same can be said for Petra so we might have a tie in this category. But what tips the scale in favor of Petra is that when its on, Petra's forehands can blow Ana out of the water. Vice versa? doubtful. ADVANTAGE PETRA

BACKHAND
Ana has much more consistent backhand but it has very little pace. If Petra goes to Ana's backhand, she'll get progressively shorter replies. Petra's backhand is just as powerful as her forehand. As always, there are times when she struggles to put them in the court. But overall, her backhand is more of a weapon than Ana's. ADVANTAGE PETRA

MOVEMENT
Neither girls will be thought of as gazelles. The key will be who will better execute their footwork to setup their powerful forehands. I see this category as EVEN.

NETPLAY
Ana is quite allergic to the net and will do all she can do avoid it. So even when she gains an avantage during rallies, she will choose to sit back on the baseline. With slower pace of the court, this will allow Petra to recover and reset the rally instead of having to hit a passing shot. We know Petra is not scared to be at the net and will come in on a short ball. Even though her volleys are not always crisp and prone to breakdown, her mere presence will add pressure for Ana to execute passing shots. Also since Ana stays back so much, drop shot might be a very effective weapon. ADVANTAGE PETRA

MOMENTUM
I am surprised by how easily Ana has advanced so far in this tournament. She really hasn't been tested at all. In her post match interviews, she seems eager to gauge her play against Petra. She seems very confident. Petra had a major scare in R2 which could have dented her confidence. But her utter destruction of Kirilenko probably did much to ease that concern. Ana really has nothing to lose and may play freely in comparison to Petra, who has so much at stake. ADVANTAGE ANA

Ana's winning strategy
She must stay with Petra for long as possible. Wait for Petra's expected drop in play. She should have the crowd's support, being "Aussie Ana", so don't waste it. Give them something to cheer and they will back her loudly.

Petra's winning strategy.
Employ "blitzkrieg" offense and establish early lead. Petrify Ana with winners after winners. First serves are key to having easy holds and putting the pressure on Ana's wonky serve. Hopefully this will take away Ana's will to fight and establish big enough lead that Petra's usual drop in play will not prove fatal.

Prediction - I expect an easy victory in straight set for Petra.

TimeyWimey
Jan 22nd, 2012, 08:24 PM
Ana looks so fragile in her previous match, Vania really should have done better

TimeyWimey
Jan 22nd, 2012, 08:26 PM

:lol: didn't realize that

TimeyWimey
Jan 22nd, 2012, 08:30 PM
Hey guys, please stop this title/No. 1 talk.:rolleyes: You seem to have forgotten very quickly about the tough 2nd round match. Look at what happened to the poor Li Na.

One step at a time, Ivanovic up next.

yeh, should Petra lose her match tonight, she's out in the no 1 race

bruce goose
Jan 22nd, 2012, 08:42 PM
:lol: didn't realize thatThe name is the only similarity;one is a sleazy coke-snorting(very likely) playboy who brown-noses the Hollywood crowd and bad-mouths his gf's team in persuading her to fire them and replace them with his own ignorant hand-picked stooges that allow him to control her career more...the other has been with his gal since before she was a star player,he strongly supports her behind the scenes while rejoicing in her successes,and he comes from a similar cultural background and identifies well with his sweetie,complementing her well with his temperament

....You can take a guess at which of the above two is with Petra;):lol:

vendulkabendulka
Jan 22nd, 2012, 09:06 PM
....You can take a guess at which of the above two is with Petra;):lol:
It's pretty tough riddle, any hints please? ;)

plokploky
Jan 23rd, 2012, 12:01 AM
Lets breakdown Petra vs. Ana.

SERVE
What can Ana do against Petra's can opener serve to her backhand? nothing. Mix in few missiles down the T and we have Petra domination. Ana's first serve can be big too. But her second serve is cream puff begging to get spanked by Petra. Then there is always Ana's wayward toss. ADVANTAGE PETRA

FOREHAND
Ana has a big forehand. But it has faulty radar and often has trouble finding the court. Same can be said for Petra so we might have a tie in this category. But what tips the scale in favor of Petra is that when its on, Petra's forehands can blow Ana out of the water. Vice versa? doubtful. ADVANTAGE PETRA

BACKHAND
Ana has much more consistent backhand but it has very little pace. If Petra goes to Ana's backhand, she'll get progressively shorter replies. Petra's backhand is just as powerful as her forehand. As always, there are times when she struggles to put them in the court. But overall, her backhand is more of a weapon than Ana's. ADVANTAGE PETRA

MOVEMENT
Neither girls will be thought of as gazelles. The key will be who will better execute their footwork to setup their powerful forehands. I see this category as EVEN.

NETPLAY
Ana is quite allergic to the net and will do all she can do avoid it. So even when she gains an avantage during rallies, she will choose to sit back on the baseline. With slower pace of the court, this will allow Petra to recover and reset the rally instead of having to hit a passing shot. We know Petra is not scared to be at the net and will come in on a short ball. Even though her volleys are not always crisp and prone to breakdown, her mere presence will add pressure for Ana to execute passing shots. Also since Ana stays back so much, drop shot might be a very effective weapon. ADVANTAGE PETRA

MOMENTUM
I am surprised by how easily Ana has advanced so far in this tournament. She really hasn't been tested at all. In her post match interviews, she seems eager to gauge her play against Petra. She seems very confident. Petra had a major scare in R2 which could have dented her confidence. But her utter destruction of Kirilenko probably did much to ease that concern. Ana really has nothing to lose and may play freely in comparison to Petra, who has so much at stake. ADVANTAGE ANA

Ana's winning strategy
She must stay with Petra for long as possible. Wait for Petra's expected drop in play. She should have the crowd's support, being "Aussie Ana", so don't waste it. Give them something to cheer and they will back her loudly.

Petra's winning strategy.
Employ "blitzkrieg" offense and establish early lead. Petrify Ana with winners after winners. First serves are key to having easy holds and putting the pressure on Ana's wonky serve. Hopefully this will take away Ana's will to fight and establish big enough lead that Petra's usual drop in play will not prove fatal.

Prediction - I expect an easy victory in straight set for Petra.

Brilliant prediction. I couldn't agree with this more, apart from the easy straight sets victory for petra cause i never assume that. She should be able to easily dispatch ana, but we never know.

Also, how have i missed this thread for 10 days now:o

bruce goose
Jan 23rd, 2012, 01:42 AM
Didn't Queen Petra Fan say that Petra's grandfather was a garbage disposal regional co-ordinator during the Eastern Bloc days?If that's true,then grampa will be mighty proud of his sweet Petra as he looks down from the heavens:)...of course,if he's still alive,then he was watching from his living room instead;)

AfroIYH
Jan 23rd, 2012, 01:44 AM
Petra's at the point now where ever match is an extra as she's defended her points successfully so she doesn't need to have the woes of falling down the rankings.

On the match, Petra seemed to get into Ivanovic's head right off the bat so it made it easier when she took a dip late in the second set. Thank god Ana's serve fell off the bat in the tie break otherwise we might be in the third now. Something which concerns me is that Petra seems to be having some trouble closing out her matches, she was up a break against Hantuchova and had a lot of trouble doing the same against Li in Sydney, hopefully this wont trouble her for too long, but that does concern me.

Vikapower
Jan 23rd, 2012, 01:56 AM
Annoying match from Petra, could have been much much more clinical to send Ivanovic packing -- I even thought she was about to lose the second set after that air-shot and 8 consecutive points or so lost anyways well done. :yeah: Should make the SF comfortably I think facing whichever of Jie or Errani and take the #1 spot virtually. We'll see.

TimeyWimey
Jan 23rd, 2012, 01:57 AM
she better show a more focused match in the quarters otherwise Zheng Jie will be in the semis

Nalby fan
Jan 23rd, 2012, 02:04 AM
Hello everyone. Been a fan of Petra ever since her Wimbledon run in 2010,and it's time to stop lurking. ;)

Petra obviously wasn't anywhere near her best today(you can expect to see her whiffed overhead repeated endlessly),but as always enjoyed her clutch serving when it really mattered at *5-6 30-30. Her second serve is definitely rivalling Serena's now as the best in the world.

bruce goose
Jan 23rd, 2012, 02:27 AM
Annoying match from Petra, could have been much much more clinical to send Ivanovic packing -- I even thought she was about to lose the second set after that air-shot and 8 consecutive points or so lost anyways well done. :yeah: Should make the SF comfortably I think facing whichever of Jie or Errani and take the #1 spot virtually. We'll see.To translate: Petra wasn't nearly her best and STILL won fairly easily in two sets:)...she was probably overconfident due to the feeble level of competition:p

Langers
Jan 23rd, 2012, 02:34 AM

The majority aren’t knowledgeable. Mostly bogans, and most probably don't know what half the top 10 would look like if they walked past them. :o

Petra. :) Solid win today.

I was at her 2nd round match and that point where she was down 2-0, 30-40* was unbelievable. It was such such a huge rally, and if she had lost it, I think he might have been gone. Thankfully she survived!!!

bruce goose
Jan 23rd, 2012, 03:19 AM
I'd say that Petra did okay given the circumstances b/c it was sort of a no-win situation;today's foe is a circus act who generates lots of media attention,but NOT due to anything done on court.A top player is understandably expected to dominate her and a defeat to her would be humiliating,yet you don't get much credit for the win cuz it's what you SHOULD do.A lot of female players get rattled by that sort of unfair scales,yet Petra handled her business today:cool:

TimeyWimey
Jan 23rd, 2012, 03:56 AM
she better show a more focused match in the quarters otherwise Zheng Jie will be in the semis

my apology to Sara, well done, congrats for the first GS quarterfinal :)

AfroIYH
Jan 23rd, 2012, 04:10 AM
I too was expecting Jie to be in the Quarters just based on previous performance, but congrats to Errani on making her first ever Quarter. Errani is likely to be tricky for Kvitova hopefully the Italians style of play doesn't effect Petra too much.

Barktra
Jan 23rd, 2012, 04:56 AM
Petra's draw even more opening up. Serena is out.

Sasja
Jan 23rd, 2012, 05:27 AM
Petra :yeah:

Jie & Serena out :eek:

bruce goose
Jan 23rd, 2012, 05:28 AM
Though I could be a wise-ass and suggest that Serena checked out because she was scared to face Petra:p,the truth is that I think Petra could've risen to the occasion

HowardH
Jan 23rd, 2012, 05:37 AM
This is becoming a ridiculously easy draw.

There's no way Errani can do anything against Petra. The woman has nothing to hurt Petra at all, she would have to hope that Petra self-destructed.

I predict there will be no difficulties for her until at least the semis now. Quite probably few difficulties until the final. Sharapova is not playing as well as in her earlier career, Lisicki is not reliable enough, Makarova won't play that well in a semi.

Realistically Kim is the only one still posing a decent threat to Petra (apart from the threat Petra sometimes poses to herself).

Well, I suppose I shouldn't underestimate Masha. But I don't think anyone else left on this side has a chance against her.

flyingmachine
Jan 23rd, 2012, 10:46 AM
It might sound cocky but her biggest problem is still herself. :o

cosmoose
Jan 23rd, 2012, 02:05 PM
Errani scares me more than Ivanovic.
Petra sometimes has her troubles against junkballers and fast ball retrievers.
I can see a scenario where Errani throws at Petra all kinds of weird spins and slices and Petra lose all timing on her groundstokes and sprays them everywhere.

There is a reason why Errani's nickname is Miss Annoying.

I don't feel good about this...someone please tell me I'm wrong!

flyingmachine
Jan 23rd, 2012, 03:43 PM
Errani scares me more than Ivanovic.
Petra sometimes has her troubles against junkballers and fast ball retrievers.
I can see a scenario where Errani throws at Petra all kinds of weird spins and slices and Petra lose all timing on her groundstokes and sprays them everywhere.

There is a reason why Errani's nickname is Miss Annoying.

I don't feel good about this...someone please tell me I'm wrong!

To honest with you. I'm more concerning about her "lapse" than anything else. :scared:

lupojohn
Jan 23rd, 2012, 04:50 PM
Though I could be a wise-ass and suggest that Serena checked out because she was scared to face Petra:p,the truth is that I think Petra could've risen to the occasion

Based on Serena's last performance, if she had somehow snuck through, she'd have been lucky to win 2 games against Petra.

lupojohn
Jan 23rd, 2012, 04:50 PM
I feel really good about where Petra is.

Excelscior
Jan 23rd, 2012, 05:02 PM
Was never worried about Serena. I saw her matches, and I didn't think she was playing particularly well. She just needed a worthy player that wasn't afraid of the task. And Makarova successfully took the assignment. I'm not surprised at all she lost.

I can't even think about Masha or Makarova (yes Masha can lose to Makarova) at this point, when Petra still has to play Errani.

When you look at Errani's match record this year at Oz and how far she's gotten, you have to show her mad respect on general principle. I don't take anyone at this stage lightly (especially someone neither I or Petra's has seen play). Lol

Petra's just gotta play her game (serve, return well, step into the court/net on short balls and floaters to finish pts off early. She's already beaten similar type players in recently, mainly Cibulkova, but even Vinci, Pironkava, and to a lesser degree, Woz and Radwanka. But Errani's more like an annoying, fidgety Cibulkova with top spin. Maybe it will take a few games to adjust, being they've never faced each other before. We'll see?

But if Petra plays her game (and maintains, and/or increases her current form), she should be fine.

18majors
Jan 23rd, 2012, 07:04 PM
This is becoming a ridiculously easy draw.

There's no way Errani can do anything against Petra. The woman has nothing to hurt Petra at all, she would have to hope that Petra self-destructed.

I predict there will be no difficulties for her until at least the semis now. Quite probably few difficulties until the final. Sharapova is not playing as well as in her earlier career, Lisicki is not reliable enough, Makarova won't play that well in a semi.

Realistically Kim is the only one still posing a decent threat to Petra (apart from the threat Petra sometimes poses to herself).

Well, I suppose I shouldn't underestimate Masha. But I don't think anyone else left on this side has a chance against her.

This isn't the same Maria that lost to Petra in 2011 Wimbledon Final; she has games.

Excelscior
Jan 23rd, 2012, 07:51 PM
Was never worried about Serena. I saw her matches, and I didn't think she was playing particularly well. She just needed a worthy player that wasn't afraid of the task. And Makarova successfully took the assignment. I'm not surprised at all she lost.

I can't even think about Masha or Makarova (yes Masha can lose to Makarova) at this point, when Petra still has to play Errani.

When you look at Errani's match record this year at Oz and how far she's gotten, you have to show her mad respect on general principle. I don't take anyone at this stage lightly (especially someone neither I or Petra's has seen play). Lol

Petra's just gotta play her game (serve, return well, step into the court/net on short balls and floaters to finish pts off early. She's already beaten similar type players in recently, mainly Cibulkova, but even Vinci, Pironkava, and to a lesser degree, Woz and Radwanka. But Errani's more like an annoying, fidgety Cibulkova with top spin. Maybe it will take a few games to adjust, being they've never faced each other before. We'll see?

But if Petra plays her game (and maintains, and/or increases her current form), she should be fine.

This isn't the same Maria that lost to Petra in 2011 Wimbledon Final; she has games.

Maria is the same boatload of unforced errors, unreliable serve, double fault, just hit the ball harder machine, that relies on guts, guile, intimidation, and her opponents to fold to win here at OZ player, as she did at Wimby. No offense to her fans.

I'm not too worried about her.

I would focus on the next match, Errani.

bruce goose
Jan 24th, 2012, 03:56 AM
Based on Serena's last performance, if she had somehow snuck through, she'd have been lucky to win 2 games against Petra.I would've backed down if any SW fans had gotten bent out of shape:lol:...and there are more defensive types than there ought to be when you consider their fave's success...but I tend to agree with you that Petra would've been too tough for her given their current levels of play

BikezAreForever!
Jan 24th, 2012, 04:00 AM
Petra is scheduled to appear in first match on RLA, 11AM of local time.

Weather-wise: cool change expected, 29 C maximum, moderate winds (15-18 kn).

I think it would be better for her to play at hot conditions: the ball skids, fly faster and takes strange bounce. I think Errani is happier to play in cooler, windier conditions.

AfroIYH
Jan 24th, 2012, 04:23 AM
Clijsters leads Wozniacki 6-3 1-0 atm, if it keeps going the way it's going, there will be a new No. 1 regardless of who wins the tournament.

bruce goose
Jan 24th, 2012, 04:36 AM
Well,I imagine that Petra will find a good excuse for skipping Paris Indoor if she makes it all the way at the AO....More importantly for you Czechs,though,I can't picture Petra's arriving in time for the Fed Cup QFs at this rate...and,without the Lioness,the CR will have difficulty beating the German squad

AfroIYH
Jan 24th, 2012, 04:38 AM
Well,I imagine that Petra will find a good excuse for skipping Paris Indoor if she makes it all the way at the AO

Got the Fed Cup before then.

bruce goose
Jan 24th, 2012, 05:13 AM
Must read more carefully,Afro;the part you didn't quote explained that FC was ALSO un-doable if Petra advanced far enough at the AO...it begins on Sat. the 4th which is the same day as the women's AO Final

Not trying to promote his writing at all,but I was pleased with how Tignor strongly suggested that Petra had overpowered and outclassed her last opponent...even beating her at her own strength.The WTA needs more Petras and less slutty mannequins...perhaps Adidas could find a loophole to escape from their albatross,lifetime contract with the Serb.If they managed to do that,she'd likely retire from tennis and become a full-time tramp:lol:...and that would be addition-by-subtraction for the WTA

AfroIYH
Jan 24th, 2012, 05:39 AM
lol sorry got a bit ahead of myself there, anyway as it stands now Petra is No. 1 with the unresolved QFs but if Sharapova and Kvitova fail to make it or Kvitova doesn't reach the Semis Azarenka is No. 1.

flyingmachine
Jan 24th, 2012, 11:15 AM
I think one match at a time for Petra.

BikezAreForever!
Jan 24th, 2012, 01:07 PM
I am just wondering which Petra turns up tomorrow. She usually struggles in QF. Also her AO form was rather patchy and unconvincing, apart from one set with little Masha. Hopefully she can overcome any lows in her play and somehow get over the line.

cosmoose
Jan 24th, 2012, 02:15 PM
I thought Petra already said she was skipping Paris.
Last year she found the travel from Aus to Paris to Mideast too exhausting.
So I doubt she will play Fed Cup either.

And I hope Czech Fed won't pressure her to play.
She has done more than enough to help the Czech Fed Cup team and she shouldn't be made to feel like she would be letting them down if she skip this tie.

Digressing for a moment, Czech Rep vs. Germany will be interesting in that both country's top player (Petra and Petko) will be out of action.
Lot of worthy players from both country to choose from.

cosmoose
Jan 24th, 2012, 02:41 PM
^ disregard above post.

I've learned from my Czech friend that the fed cup team will be Petra, Iveta, Bara and Lucie H. :)

BikezAreForever!
Jan 24th, 2012, 02:47 PM
^ disregard above post.

I've learned from my Czech friend that the fed cup team will be Petra, Iveta, Bara and Lucie H. :)

Petra loves playing FedCup. Also I think it will break her tournament routine a bit too. She does have enough time to prepare for Middle Eastern Slam.

vendulkabendulka
Jan 24th, 2012, 03:04 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Petra's schedule is: AO, Fed Cup (next weekend), Doha, Dubai. She skips Paris.
I assume she must play mandatory Indian Wells and Miami right after that.
But she will definitely be able to make first round of Fed Cup next weekend and most likely the FC SF too (if they beat German girls, of course :)

cosmoose
Jan 24th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Germany venue is indoor hardcourt.
I think that suits certain blonde, tall, lefty Czech player! ;)

BikezAreForever!
Jan 24th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Germany venue is indoor hardcourt.
I think that suits certain blonde, tall, lefty Czech player! ;)

It will be interesting to see her playing Lisicki and Goerges, who are possibly not a comfortable match-ups for her.

lupojohn
Jan 24th, 2012, 04:43 PM
It will be interesting to see her playing Lisicki and Goerges, who are possibly not a comfortable match-ups for her.

Since i'm a fan of both Petra and Julia, that won't be a comfortable match for me as far as who to root for.

Petronius
Jan 24th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Petra's bf thru to the R16 in the juniors competition.
Petra's Hopman Cup partner Tomas played a great QF match with Nadal, even though he lost.

Good job both, IMO.

Excelscior
Jan 24th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Petra can lose on indoor hardcourt at Fed Cup, just as she lost on outdoor hard courts in early 2011 after being tired and/or successful in events leading up to them. It's a matter of proper schedule management. I'm not looking at the schedule at the moment, but even if she is successful in her Fed Cup matches, they may make her tired in Doha, Dubai and Indian Wells (as she said Paris did to her last year regarding those events, so she took it off her schedule as a result). But oh well. I guess everybody has to do the same this year to qualify for the Olympics. Lol. We'll see?

As far as Lisicki and Georges vs Petra; I don't see neither one of them possessing anything that can reliably hurt Petra, unless they play out of their mind (or Petra's tired or unfocused coming in).

Sure Georges has beat Petra in the past, and Lisicki can have a fast first serve occasionally, but neither player is really that consistent or reliably complete as tennis players. But then again this Fed Cup. I'm sure they'll be pumped playing at home in Germany. I guess we'll see about that to?

Don't make yourself too tired Petra. Please mind your schedule. And Kudos for removing Paris Indoors, to focus on Dubai, Doha and Indian Wells.

I guess you have to play Fed Cup to qualify for the Olympics, or just the thrill/challenge of playing all the great players that will be competing in it this year to qualify themselves?

lupojohn
Jan 24th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Well,I imagine that Petra will find a good excuse for skipping Paris Indoor if she makes it all the way at the AO....More importantly for you Czechs,though,I can't picture Petra's arriving in time for the Fed Cup QFs at this rate...and,without the Lioness,the CR will have difficulty beating the German squad

I don't think Petra will skip out on Fed Cup. I think it means too much to her.

lupojohn
Jan 24th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Petra's bf thru to the R16 in the juniors competition.
Petra's Hopman Cup partner Tomas played a great QF match with Nadal, even though he lost.

Good job both, IMO.

Tomas should have been up 2 sets to 0. Great effort, but he could have won the match.

plokploky
Jan 24th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Does anyone else, like me, get more worried the further she gets in a tournament that is going to fall to pieces, a la zvoni in tokyo. I realise that she probably eon't fail against errani, never make certainties with petra as much as I love her, but I have a strong feeling makarova is going to beat sharapove, and then beat petra:sobbing: Anyone else think this? I really hope this doesn't happen.

Excelscior
Jan 24th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Calm down/Relax/have some confidence in Petra please (or just watch the matches and see what happens). Lol

But logic, facts and history would prove you wrong (knock on wood). Petra is 7/9 in WTA finals; 6/7 last year. I'm sure her semifinal record is not too far behind as well.

The future is now. Don't dwell on the past (or root too hard/worry too much before the match even starts). And remember, Sydney was a warm up. This is the real enchilada for Petra to feast on. Enjoy it.

And why you worried about Sharapova and Makarova? Lol. There's still Errani. Just take it day by day, and enjoy the ride (knowing that your rooting for a player, who if she plays her game; knock on wood, she can beat anyone).

Excelscior
Jan 24th, 2012, 05:49 PM
I don't think Petra will skip out on Fed Cup. I think it means too much to her.

I'm not sure if she could skip Fed Cup to qualify for the Olympics? And if she could (from playing last year), I would sit out myself; though it probably wouldn't look good back home, especially if she played in the Olympics later in June, July.

plokploky
Jan 24th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Calm down/Relax/have some confidence in Petra please (or just watch the matches and see what happens). Lol

But logic, facts and history would prove you wrong (knock on wood). Petra is 7/9 in WTA finals; 6/7 last year. I'm sure her semifinal record is not too far behind as well.

The future is now. Don't dwell on the past (or root too hard/worry too much before the match even starts). And remember, Sydney was a warm up. This is the real enchilada for Petra to feast on.

And why you worried about Sharapova and Makarova? Lol. Just take it day by day, and enjoy the ride (knowing that your rooting for a player, who if she plays her game; knock on wood, she can beat anyone).

I know that she has a brilliant record in the late stages of a tournament, but look at my 5 other main faves. You can't deny that if I expected them to win I would be disappointed a lot. So I've started not expecting them to win and actually a lot of the losses have been a lot less soul destroying. But when they win, well :drool: sums it up.

Petronius
Jan 24th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Tomas should have been up 2 sets to 0. Great effort, but he could have won the match.

I agree. If he converted the setpoint in the second tiebreaker, Nadal would find it extremely hard to turn the match around. I don't like how Tomas runs around his backhand to hit forehand, leaving the entire court open. Nadal punished him several times for this. But we are happy to have him, what would Russia, Australia or the US give to have such a player right now.

Excelscior
Jan 24th, 2012, 06:16 PM
I know that she has a brilliant record in the late stages of a tournament, but look at my 5 other main faves. You can't deny that if I expected them to win I would be disappointed a lot. So I've started not expecting them to win and actually a lot of the losses have been a lot less soul destroying. But when they win, well :drool: sums it up.

Oh. OK. I know the reverse psychology routine. Lol

Good Luck with your faves in the future and Petra tonight.

vendulkabendulka
Jan 24th, 2012, 06:47 PM
..what would Russia, Australia or the US give to have such a player right now.
ehm.. oil?!
No, seriously. Tomas is quite good and he might even get little better. And the match against Rafa was excellent from both of guys, I think he was able to force Rafa to play 120%. A real pleasure to watch.

TimeyWimey
Jan 24th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Does anyone else, like me, get more worried the further she gets in a tournament that is going to fall to pieces, a la zvoni in tokyo. I realise that she probably eon't fail against errani, never make certainties with petra as much as I love her, but I have a strong feeling makarova is going to beat sharapove, and then beat petra:sobbing: Anyone else think this? I really hope this doesn't happen.

don't see any correlation (or even causation) between the round she's in and the probability of a meltdown

when she was mentally checked out around that ridiculous overhead against Ana Ivanovic, you know anything is possible for her, it doesn't matter who is standing on the other side, Errani is a very good player, especially the spin from her racquet and her court coverage

it is a grand slam quarterfinal, snowball effect could happen at anytime to Petra

don't forget what happened in the same round here last year

TimeyWimey
Jan 24th, 2012, 07:52 PM

i was looking forward to a rematch with Petkovic to see how Petra can handle her this time

unfortunately she is injured recently

Petronius
Jan 24th, 2012, 07:55 PM
If you want to have a good laugh, read this:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1036660-australian-open-2012-semi-finals-kvitova-wouldnt-have-a-chance-vs-sharapova

plokploky
Jan 24th, 2012, 07:56 PM
don't see any correlation (or even causation) between the round she's in and the probability of a meltdown

when she was mentally checked out around that ridiculous overhead against Ana Ivanovic, you know anything is possible for her, it doesn't matter who is standing on the other side, Errani is a very good player, especially the spin from her racquet and her court coverage

it is a grand slam quarterfinal, snowball effect could happen at anytime to Petra

:sobbing:don't say things like this.

TimeyWimey
Jan 24th, 2012, 08:00 PM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1036660-australian-open-2012-semi-finals-kvitova-wouldnt-have-a-chance-vs-sharapova

but she will not have the trouble with Petra Kvitova

:eek:

TimeyWimey
Jan 24th, 2012, 08:37 PM
:sobbing:don't say things like this.

i'm not projecting an upset by Errani, but i can definitely see the possible lapse during the match

maybe just in one or two games (aka. the fourth round), one set (the second round), or something disastrous (the semifinal in Sydney)

Excelscior
Jan 24th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Wow!

I see some of you guys are a bunch of Nervous Nellies. Lol

cosmoose
Jan 24th, 2012, 09:15 PM

i'm sorry that i clicked on that article and added a view count to that hack.

AfroIYH
Jan 24th, 2012, 10:33 PM

I am upset its not a Top 5 list.

Wow!

Well Petra's game doesn't exactly inspire confidence because its so easy for her to become mentally unfocused.

BikezAreForever!
Jan 24th, 2012, 10:37 PM

Yea, I agree. With Petra I never know whats gonna happen. It can go from scarily GOAT Petra up to total scrub who cant hit a ball inside the court. I think it can even change during one set few times. :help:

RetroDonkey
Jan 25th, 2012, 12:04 AM
In the words of Public Enemy... I do believe it's time to "bring the noise"!!!

RetroDonkey
Jan 25th, 2012, 12:06 AM
I completely admire Errani and the way she plays... she always leaves it all out on the court... but she's got ZERO chance today!

Barktra
Jan 25th, 2012, 12:15 AM
I have to agree with Tracy Austin, it is scary to think how much Petra can improve

bruce goose
Jan 25th, 2012, 01:52 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Petra's schedule is: AO, Fed Cup (next weekend), Doha, Dubai. She skips Paris.
I assume she must play mandatory Indian Wells and Miami right after that.
But she will definitely be able to make first round of Fed Cup next weekend and most likely the FC SF too (if they beat German girls, of course :)How will she 'definitely' be able to make the first round of Fed Cup when it starts on the 4th and the AO final is the same day?Even if Petra rode aboard the fastest supersonic jet,she'd barely make it to Germany before nightfall,I'd say

AfroIYH
Jan 25th, 2012, 01:57 AM
How will she 'definitely' be able to make the first round of Fed Cup when it starts on the 4th and the AO final is the same day?Even if Petra rode aboard the fastest supersonic jet,she'd barely make it to Germany before nightfall,I'd say

You must have your days mixed up, the AO Final is on the 28th January, she has a good week to make it to Stuttgart.

TimeyWimey
Jan 25th, 2012, 02:08 AM
i'm not projecting an upset by Errani, but i can definitely see the possible lapse during the match

maybe just in one or two games (aka. the fourth round), one set (the second round), or something disastrous (the semifinal in Sydney)

four games for today, not that bad

congrats to Australian Open semifinalist Petra Kvitova :bounce:

flyingmachine
Jan 25th, 2012, 02:25 AM
Bloody hell this match is truly Petracoaster. :o
I hope she will playing better than this at the semi otherwise she's going to be toasted.

cosmoose
Jan 25th, 2012, 02:26 AM
Wow!

We have a good reason to be so nervous! :lol:

#Petracoaster

flyingmachine
Jan 25th, 2012, 02:29 AM

#Petracoaster

Indeed for me this is Justine version 2.0 ;)

AfroIYH
Jan 25th, 2012, 02:30 AM

#Petracoaster

Should be our goal to get that trending during all her matches.

bruce goose
Jan 25th, 2012, 02:32 AM
You must have your days mixed up, the AO Final is on the 28th January, she has a good week to make it to Stuttgart.Oops!!Sorry for the screw-up,fellow Petra fans:lol:...and I'm glad there's no conflict:)....VAMOS,Petra:bounce:!!

cosmoose
Jan 25th, 2012, 02:33 AM
Watching Sharpie match right now.
I get the feeling that Petra might prefer playing against someone like Maria.
She hits harder but its very predictable. There is no variety from Maria.

Today against Errani, Petra was just trying to put the ball in play, making tons of errors.
I think Maria's ballbashing will elevate Petra's groundstroke intensity.

flyingmachine
Jan 25th, 2012, 02:34 AM
Oops!!Sorry for the screw-up,fellow Petra fans:lol:...and I'm glad there's no conflict:)....VAMOS,Petra:bounce:!!
No worries, we Petra fans are all good.;)

cosmoose
Jan 25th, 2012, 02:38 AM
Should be our goal to get that trending during all her matches.

good idea! :lol:

#petracoaster

vendulkabendulka
Jan 25th, 2012, 02:57 AM
Do we know anything about that taped leg? She doesn't seem to be injured and I can't remember reading that she would have some problems with her thigh.

AfroIYH
Jan 25th, 2012, 03:21 AM
Do we know anything about that taped leg? She doesn't seem to be injured and I can't remember reading that she would have some problems with her thigh.

It's probably just a minor thigh strain, she's been playing the best part of a month now.

AfroIYH
Jan 25th, 2012, 03:57 AM
So no surprise Sharapova is Kvitova's opponent. Safe to say if Petra plays like she did today she wont make it to the final, but if she can get into Sharapova's head early that Sharapova's serve wont work against her, the Double faults from Sharapova will hopefully compensate if Petra has a bad match.

Meelis
Jan 25th, 2012, 04:07 AM
Ok. Now it gets serious ;)