Tsvetana Pironkova BUL
Sania Mirza IND

Qualifier
Simona Halep ROU

Bethanie Mattek-Sands USA
Agnieszka Radwanska POL (8)

---------------
---------------

Looks good until the third round -- at least Julia has a shot at defending her points from last year, that's all I wanted... :cheer: then probably with luck she'll be able to get further we'll see...

Michael!
Jan 13th, 2012, 12:02 AM
meh, Hercog is up and down player, u never know what you get, Julia lost to her before but on clay, which is best surface from Hercog!
I don´t know what to think, I wouldn´t be surprised if she would lose first round here but also could happen that she reaches 3rd round again :shrug:

Vikapower
Jan 13th, 2012, 12:12 AM
meh, Hercog is up and down player, u never know what you get, Julia lost to her before but on clay, which is best surface from Hercog!
I don´t know what to think, I wouldn´t be surprised if she would lose first round here but also could happen that she reaches 3rd round again :shrug:

I had a mirage of Bethanie and Julia playing first round... :spit:

Anyways, it could have been worst... I think Julia will be motivated and hopefully she can get a few wins... but it's true we don't really know so we can only just wait and see.

CillyUltra
Jan 13th, 2012, 12:14 AM
Julia's quarter:

(3) Victoria Azarenka v Heather Watson
Casey Dellacqua v Bojana Jovanovski
Anne Keothavong v Mona Barthel
Ayumi Morita v (32) Petra Cetkovska

(19) Flavia Pennetta v Qualifier
Alberta Brianti v Irina Falconi
Iveta Benesova v Mathilde Johansson
Aravane Rezai v (16) Shuai Peng

(10) Francesca Schiavone v Laura Pous-Tio
Anastasiya Yakimova v Romina Oprandi
Kimiko Date-Krumm v Eleni Daniilidou
Polona Hercog v (22) Julia Goerges

(28) Yanina Wickmayer v Galina Voskoboeva
Tsvetana Pironkova v Sania Mirza
Qualifier v Simona Halep
Bethanie Mattek-Sands v (8) Agnieszka Radwanska

18majors
Jan 13th, 2012, 01:53 AM
Good luck, Julia.

joy division
Jan 13th, 2012, 08:11 AM
juliagoerges: friend of mine.Polona Hercog.Doubles not out yet.was supposed to play with @andreapetkovic and now playing with kanepi....
------------------------
juliagoerges: had a good practice day,dried the courts and we had a great practice session+some fitness.massage+relaxing now.draw came out playing a good
------------------------
juliagoerges: had my first hit today on margaret court arena.was great feeling better.hope i can keep improving everyday.doing some media today+massage;)

Her twitter comments make me confident that she will not withdraw. :yeah:
Digged out another famous double partner with Kanepi.:)

Dispeker
Jan 13th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Polona is a tricky opponent. However, she doesn't seem to be in good shape so far this year. If Julia's recovery continues to progress well then she's the favourite, no doubt about it. The question is how she will deal with her fatigue. Let's just hope she wins this match in straight sets.

Nina.
Jan 13th, 2012, 10:10 AM
I think a lot comes down to how fit Julia really is. It is a decent draw and as long as she's feeling better I see her making the third round again

Vikapower
Jan 13th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Her twitter comments make me confident that she will not withdraw. :yeah:
Digged out another famous double partner with Kanepi.:)

:lol: I'm not worried about Julia's health, she'll be alright :yeah: -- I'm more worried about her level of play, her preparation for the AO wasn't really what I'd call the most efficient out there, only 2 1/2 singles match in which only 1 (against Greta) could be considered positive or worth-full...

As for the doubles I would have loved a partnership with Flavia again but Kaia should be fun. :yeah:

CillyUltra
Jan 13th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Julia in a German TV report: "I won't be at 100% perhaps, but you have to simply accept it. It's a Grand Slam where you give everything and try your best."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCSVmiIxCX4&hd=1&feature=player_detailpage#t=83s

Skoo
Jan 13th, 2012, 02:51 PM
:lol: I'm not worried about Julia's health

Why? :)

18majors
Jan 13th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Play your best, Julia.

Rovegun
Jan 13th, 2012, 04:24 PM

absolutely agree, Hercog is a player you don´t know what to expect from and as you said Julia lost to her on clay in Maribor last year in Fed Cup if I remember well but as we know clay is Polona´s best surface... I am really looking forward to that match and wondering how Julia will deal with her form, health, opponent etc. hopefully she won´t lose in first round because I feel she can reach third round at least and defend all the points and try her best to beat Schiavone... we´ll see but I would love to enjoy this year´s Australian Open with this way...

#kArLoS#
Jan 13th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Well,she couldn´t ask for a better draw until r3 IMO,her matches are so winnable as long as she stays healthy and focused...but since we can´t know what´s going to happen,I´m going to say I´m positive she can reach r3,but once again,there you have that there´s a risk she may lose earlier...Either way,GL,and we´ll see what happens...But better stay positive,of course

hajoundco
Jan 14th, 2012, 08:01 AM
By taking a view on the first two weeks of the year I´m afraid I should put a bet on Hercog (coz I need some money...) - in spite of that: good luck Julia,3rd round is possible

Ziva
Jan 14th, 2012, 08:27 AM
By taking a view on the first two weeks of the year I´m afraid I should put a bet on Hercog (coz I need some money...) - in spite of that: good luck Julia,3rd round is possible

you should never bet against your fav, no matter what ;)

hajoundco
Jan 14th, 2012, 09:30 AM
you should never bet against your fav, no matter what ;)

I agree (in fact I never would put a bet on her opponent), but being a Goerges-fan is a little bit like sitting in a roller-coaster...

Rovegun
Jan 14th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Julia playing on court 7 on Monday and there is no coverage! what a shame! :fiery: so I doubt German Eurosport will get any coverage for this match :(

Dispeker
Jan 14th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Julia playing on court 7 on Monday and there is no coverage! what a shame! :fiery: so I doubt German Eurosport will get any coverage for this match :(

:facepalm: Court 7 is not streamed? Already looking forward to staring at the live scoreboard in the middle of the night..

Nena_xxx
Jan 14th, 2012, 01:25 PM
:facepalm: Court 7 is not streamed? Already looking forward to staring at the live scoreboard in the middle of the night..

Me too... :D

Rovegun
Jan 14th, 2012, 01:30 PM

expecting the same:( I don´t get why others deserve to be streamed and Julia not :D

#kArLoS#
Jan 14th, 2012, 02:05 PM
no livestream,are u guys sure? what a joke :mad:

Vikapower
Jan 14th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Julia in a German TV report: "I won't be at 100% perhaps, but you have to simply accept it. It's a Grand Slam where you give everything and try your best."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCSVmiIxCX4&hd=1&feature=player_detailpage#t=83s

Thanks Cilly, the first unknown lady, Sabine and Julia are all triple awesome, hopefully Australia will be for both. :worship:

What's that stadium they show at the end of the video ? That doesn't look like a soccer field or something ? :lol:

Why? :)

:wavey: Julia will be alright, as long as her worries are "simple illness" and things like that -- see Andrea she doesn't even have chance sadly :sad: ( so hopefully Julia stays 100% able even if yes she might have small troubles here and there.

Vikapower
Jan 14th, 2012, 02:14 PM
no livestream,are u guys sure? what a joke :mad:

How many courts a streamed in the AO in general, do you know ?

#kArLoS#
Jan 14th, 2012, 02:16 PM

um well,in Livescore Hunter there are streams for the big 3(RL,Hisense,Margaret),Show C2,Show C3,C6 y C8,so I guess that´s it :(

Vikapower
Jan 14th, 2012, 02:33 PM
um well,in Livescore Hunter there are streams for the big 3(RL,Hisense,Margaret),Show C2,Show C3,C6 y C8,so I guess that´s it :(

:shrug: Maybe it can change, no ? Well yeah that's annoying... :rolleyes: Julia is not too late so I'll stay up... I do not want to burn my sleep this early in the tournament esp. if it's for Live-score otherwise by the 2nd. I'll be a zombie. :lol:

#kArLoS#
Jan 14th, 2012, 02:41 PM
:shrug: Maybe it can change, no ? Well yeah that's annoying... :rolleyes: Julia is not too late so I'll stay up... I do not want to burn my sleep this early in the tournament esp. if it's for Live-score otherwise by the 2nd. I'll be a zombie. :lol:

umm IDK,I hope so,but we have to wait and see...And I agree with you,I´m not too fond of staying about 4AM for her livescores only against Hercog,knowing I have to get up at 9AM on Monday...pfff :o

Rovegun
Jan 14th, 2012, 02:46 PM

#kArLoS# just said it and I found the same courts on Eurosport Player as well so it looks like that unfortunately... so many shown courts and no Julia hard to understand :(:D

Lisickifan84
Jan 14th, 2012, 04:49 PM
No TV? Oh No :(

Someone has to fly to Melbourne and put a webcam at Court 7 ;) (Julia will give you a kiss^^)

Skoo
Jan 14th, 2012, 07:36 PM
:wavey: Julia will be alright, as long as her worries are "simple illness" and things like that -- see Andrea she doesn't even have chance sadly :sad: ( so hopefully Julia stays 100% able even if yes she might have small troubles here and there.

Well, it never was a complicated illness last year or in the first tournaments this year and it didn't matter much. Even if it's gone, it will be back until the third round, perhaps in the form of back pain (which is actually always there, you can see her touching the lower back all the time). But, of course, it is normal to hope. Who knows, maybe her opponents will be sick, too :)

18majors
Jan 14th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Well, it never was a complicated illness last year or in the first tournaments this year and it didn't matter much. Even if it's gone, it will be back until the third round, perhaps in the form of back pain (which is actually always there, you can see her touching the lower back all the time). But, of course, it is normal to hope. Who knows, maybe her opponents will be sick, too :)

God bless Julia, she deserves a break.

CillyUltra
Jan 14th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Hercog is a player you don´t know what to expect from and as you said Julia lost to her on clay in Maribor last year in Fed Cup if I remember well but as we know clay is Polona´s best surface...
And it was quite a different situation: must-win tie for Germany, just the third match in Fed Cup, with no win yet, a big challenge for Julia in terms of handling pressure.

Thanks Cilly, the first unknown lady, Sabine and Julia are all triple awesome, hopefully Australia will be for both.

What's that stadium they show at the end of the video ? That doesn't look like a soccer field or something ?

It's the famous Cricket Ground (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_Cricket_Ground), next to Melbourne Park. ;)

BTW she jokes around with Sascha, always funny to see the difference of their off and on court relation. :D

Vikapower
Jan 15th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Someone has to fly to Melbourne and put a webcam at Court 7 ;) (Julia will give you a kiss^^)

You know there are always fans who film certain extract of her matches and put on Youtube... :lol: probably someone will do it and we'll be able to perceive her... :cool: anyways way too much Julia addicts here :lol: one round will not do us bad, I'm sure she'll go far in the event and we'll have time to see her live TV or something. :cool:

#kArLoS# just said it and I found the same courts on Eurosport Player as well so it looks like that unfortunately... so many shown courts and no Julia hard to understand :(:D

Ah, well will have to do with the Live-score :o -- anyways Monday's program isn't too heavy, for me it'll be evidently Victoria and I'll stay up for Julia, thankfully there aren't any ATP like Djokovic, Federer during etc... so I'll be able to virtually kind of see her.

It's the famous Cricket Ground (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_Cricket_Ground), next to Melbourne Park. ;)

:lol: Aah, silly me I thought this was a stadium in Germany in fact, I was like these kinds do not exist in Europe :lol: -- and was asking myself also why they showed a stadium there while it does not corroborate with what they're speaking about, Melbourne. :silly:

BTW she jokes around with Sascha, always funny to see the difference of their off and on court relation. :D

Julia is pretty nice, probably her coach too IDK -- :lol: You know even on court they don't seem to have a relationship based on conflict (like Safina/Zelkook for example)... even when things go bad for Jule, she rants etc... he's pretty much the same... :lol:

Though in Auckland was the first time I thought he was kind of exhausted with her rants and so, in the match against Greta there was a moment when Julia was expressing her frustration towards him and he completely turned his head to ignore her... Julia called him the next change over. :lol:

Dispeker
Jan 15th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Just noticed she plays the 2nd match after 11am. That's too late for me. :fiery: Have to get up early..

Rovegun
Jan 15th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Ah, well will have to do with the Live-score :o -- anyways Monday's program isn't too heavy, for me it'll be evidently Victoria and I'll stay up for Julia, thankfully there aren't any ATP like Djokovic, Federer during etc... so I'll be able to virtually kind of see her.

Just noticed she plays the 2nd match after 11am. That's too late for me. :fiery: Have to get up early..

guys, I am going to get up around 3am which is 1pm in Melbourne so I hope I will get to see Berdych vs Ramos, Verdasco vs Tomic, Kohli, Dolgo and our lovely Jule on the livescore at least :D it´s going to be an exciting night I guess

18majors
Jan 15th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Good luck and win the match, Julia.

Dispeker
Jan 15th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Mach et, Jule!

Skoo
Jan 15th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Mach et, Jule!

Yeah, what he said! :)

Dispeker
Jan 15th, 2012, 04:58 PM
:lol: "Mach et" literally means "make it, do it" - meaning: Win the f*** match. ;)

Skoo
Jan 15th, 2012, 05:05 PM
:lol: "Mach et" literally means "make it, do it" - meaning: Win the f*** match. ;)

Of course. Where did you get the idea that I didn't know? :lol:

Dispeker
Jan 15th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Of course. Where did you get the idea that I didn't know? :lol:

Silly me :facepalm: Sorry, Skoo. :lol:

Rovegun
Jan 15th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Mach et, Jule!

is it a German phrase? cause I would say "mach es" which seems to be completely wrong:D

crazillo
Jan 15th, 2012, 08:55 PM
It's just a little bit of slang. Just like "ya" instead of "you".

Dispeker
Jan 15th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Yeah, it's actually a western german/ rhenish dialect. But you are right, "mach es" is correct and works too. ;)

Vikapower
Jan 16th, 2012, 03:59 AM
:lol: Hard to tell how Julia played but only the win has taste in mouth so I don't really care... 6-3 7-6(3) looks like a good score-line for Julia the way she entered the event... :D

I knew she'd find form, it's a major after all and hopefully it carries on to the next round. Eleni is pretty much playable, though I was surprised she got the better of KDK I probably more expected in the 2nd. than the latter. Anyways great win Julia. :cheer:

Potapovushina
Jan 16th, 2012, 04:20 AM
Julia :bounce: :yeah: Good win against a tricky opponent! :hearts:

Rovegun
Jan 16th, 2012, 04:24 AM
Yeah, it's actually a western german/ rhenish dialect. But you are right, "mach es" is correct and works too. ;)

ok, thanks for explanation:) it looks my German is not as bad as I thought:D

:lol: Hard to tell how Julia played but only the win has taste in mouth so I don't really care... 6-3 7-6(3) looks like a good score-line for Julia the way she entered the event... :D

I knew she'd find form, it's a major after all and hopefully it carries on to the next round. Eleni is pretty much playable, though I was surprised she got the better of KDK I probably more expected in the 2nd. than the latter. Anyways great win Julia. :cheer:

with Julia´s illness we might wait a 3 set match but Julia managed to win it in 2 so I am happy she won and wasn´t too long on the court...

agree Eleni is playable but she could surprise Julia but I hope she won´t... hopefully the match will be on a show court...:)

Johnbert
Jan 16th, 2012, 06:17 AM
nice begin from our lovely jules at the oz open :D and she has won a tiebreak :eek: :lol:

CillyUltra
Jan 16th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Julia :dance: Awesome after her illness.

Nice stats: :)

1st serves in: 69%

Winning on 1st serve: 72%

Lisickifan84
Jan 16th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Julia :dance: Awesome after her illness.

Nice stats: :)

1st serves in: 69%

Winning on 1st serve: 72%

Yes, --> Unforced Errors: 2

A long time there were 0 on the board.

Great win Julia :bounce:

Dispeker
Jan 16th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Yes, --> Unforced Errors: 2

A long time there were 0 on the board.

Great win Julia :bounce:

Only 2 UEs? Can't hardly believe this, are you sure?

God, how relieved I am. My hand was shaking a bit when I scrolled down the AO page to find the result. :) Anyway, Julia: :worship:

Now against Eleni. H2H is 2-0. An absolutely winnable match.

CillyUltra
Jan 16th, 2012, 07:38 AM
The reporter of Germany's national public radio called it a really good performance. Against a good playing Hercog she showed a very strong match and won richly deserved. Unlike the days before she appeared to be fresher and fit and seemed to have finally overcome her viral infection, he said.

RobM88
Jan 16th, 2012, 07:54 AM
The Unforced Errors of "2" = the number of double faults. On this court they didn't show the winners and errors count like on the other ones. So the Aces and Double Faults are the same as winners and errors on the stats page.

CillyUltra
Jan 16th, 2012, 07:56 AM
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/6082/hjhjdshj.png

Lisickifan84
Jan 16th, 2012, 08:34 AM
The Unforced Errors of "2" = the number of double faults. On this court they didn't show the winners and errors count like on the other ones. So the Aces and Double Faults are the same as winners and errors on the stats page.

Ahh ok thank you. I was wondering why Julia didn't make any error :lol::lol:

mk27
Jan 16th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Solid win :yeah:

HowardH
Jan 16th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Congrats on the win.

The winner/UE stats are often wrong at slams for some reason. They seem to only count serves.
So I ignore that.

CillyUltra brought up her serving stats before. I would like to go into a little more depth:

Julia today:
1st Serves in: 69 %
Winning % on 1st Serve: 72 %
Winning % on 2nd Serve: 47 %
Overall winning % on serve: 65%
Result: broken 3 times, faced 5 BPs

Good stats but not quite up to my aims for her. However she's not 100% healthy so I'll forgive her.

I generally feel that one should aim at
1st serves in: around 60%
Winning on 1st serve: around 80%
Winning on 2nd serve: 50% or a little over
Overall winning on serve: 70%
Broken no more than once per set.

If you achieve these marks or more you will be very tough to play against.
When your overall winning % on serve drops to around 60% you will probably lose quite a few serve games.
When it drops to below 55% you will lose a lot of serve games.

Compare two girls who pretty much achieved these marks today, Kim and Vika.

Kim today:
1st Serves in: 59 %
Winning % on 1st Serve: 81 %
Winning % on 2nd Serve: 56 %
Overall winning on serve: 70%
Result: never broken, faced 1 BP

Vika today
1st serves in: 59 %
Winning % on 1st Serve: 83 %
Winning % on 2nd Serve: 50 %
Overall winning on serve: 69%
Result: never broken, faced 1 BP

It's important to note that your overall winning % on serve will almost always be less than your winning % on 1st serve. Therefore, to have an overall winning percentage when serving of 70% or better, you need to be winning around 80% behind the first serve.

Generally speaking this is quite difficult for the girls, who do not serve all that well as a group. But Julia has one of the better serves on tour, so she should aim to be a player who cannot be broken more than once in any set. On her good days she can achieve this, but she needs to be able to do it regularly.

Naturally, if you return exceptionally well you can get away with lesser stats.

Nina.
Jan 16th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Looks like a solid win :yeah: I'm happy that she could win in two, that should be good for her after being ill

18majors
Jan 16th, 2012, 11:46 AM
I'm so happy for Julia; she absolutely won the match!

Skoo
Jan 16th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Textbook quality post, Howard. Thank you :)

Nena_xxx
Jan 16th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Go Julia! :cheer:

Omega1
Jan 16th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Good win Julia :)

Michael!
Jan 16th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Good start for Julia!
First set was really solid, great 1st serve % and good serve in general!
In 2nd set she should have won it easier , lost concentration there a bit but well, Hercog wasn´t a weak opponent and Julia can´t be in great shape yet, so it was good that she could win it in two sets at least!
Positive that she was able to hold serve at 45,56 and that she won an important TB here!

Daniilidou is not better than Hercog, she probably won´t make many UEs but she doesnt have big weapons in her game and Julia played her before and won, she knows how to handle the slice!
She actually has to win against Eleni (as long as she stays healthy) and reach 3rd round here again, which would be totally satisfying, good luck! :)

Dispeker
Jan 16th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Good start for Julia!
First set was really solid, great 1st serve % and good serve in general!
In 2nd set she should have won it easier , lost concentration there a bit but well, Hercog wasn´t a weak opponent and Julia can´t be in great shape yet, so it was good that she could win it in two sets at least!
Positive that she was able to hold serve at 45,56 and that she won an important TB here!

Daniilidou is not better than Hercog, she probably won´t make many UEs but she doesnt have big weapons in her game and Julia played her before and won, she knows how to handle the slice!

At Seoul she had some problems dealing with the slice, if I remember correctly. But I think the windy conditions played a part at that day too.

She actually has to win against Eleni (as long as she stays healthy) and reach 3rd round here again, which would be totally satisfying, good luck! :)

It's actually a must-win for (almost healthy) Julia. And I agree, 3rd would be totally ok.

Johnbert
Jan 16th, 2012, 06:05 PM
It's actually a must-win for (almost healthy) Julia. And I agree, 3rd would be totally ok.

yeah, with r3 i would be satisfied. but on the other hand, its time for "the next level", which means r4 :smoke:

probably against schiavone in r3. not easy, but we aren't on clay here :devil:

18majors
Jan 16th, 2012, 06:12 PM
It's very satisfying that Julia won and that she was in total control. Hope this is the breakout gram slam tournament for Julia, nobody desrves it more than her.

Dispeker
Jan 16th, 2012, 06:20 PM
yeah, with r3 i would be satisfied. but on the other hand, its time for "the next level", which means r4 :smoke:

probably against schiavone in r3. not easy, but we aren't on clay here :devil:

You're right Johnbert. Let's be optimistic. She'll go through to the quarters and will qualify for London! That would be :hearts:

Rovegun
Jan 16th, 2012, 07:51 PM
You're right Johnbert. Let's be optimistic. She'll go through to the quarters and will qualify for London! That would be :hearts:

be careful! we don´t want to be sad soon if she loses next round :sad: but I also think if Julia goes through R2 she could beat Schiavone ;)

Dorien.
Jan 16th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Good start :)

hankmoody
Jan 16th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Sauber, Jule!:cheer:

Michael!
Jan 16th, 2012, 08:27 PM
At Seoul she had some problems dealing with the slice, if I remember correctly. But I think the windy conditions played a part at that day too.

I only remember that even Julia herself said that it was a bad match (that means a lot :spit:) and she still could win it somehow in two sets, so I hope that she can do the same here in Melbourne!

#kArLoS#
Jan 16th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Julia ;).I don´t want to dismiss her win,of course,but Hercog on hard is awful,she has even been doublebagelled once by Anastasia Rodionova of all people.What I mean is,it´s good she won,but had she lost,this would have been worrying,as well as one of the worst losses ever. Daniilidou...well,I think she doesn´t have too many weapons,Julia should win,probably with a pretty similar scoreline :)

HowardH
Jan 16th, 2012, 11:01 PM

She should have had a lot of practice dealing with the slice from the match with Polona. Also, slice doesn't skid that well on this stuff.

It is also true that losing to Polona would have been pretty bad.

I think Julia should beat Daniilidou quite easily. Daniilidou doesn't win anything these days. But you never know. My prediction, about 6-2 6-3. But we'll see.

Dispeker
Jan 17th, 2012, 07:40 AM
be careful! we don´t want to be sad soon if she loses next round :sad: but I also think if Julia goes through R2 she could beat Schiavone ;)

Yes, she can! ;)

I only remember that even Julia herself said that it was a bad match (that means a lot :spit:) and she still could win it somehow in two sets, so I hope that she can do the same here in Melbourne!

She should have had a lot of practice dealing with the slice from the match with Polona. Also, slice doesn't skid that well on this stuff.

It is also true that losing to Polona would have been pretty bad.

I think Julia should beat Daniilidou quite easily. Daniilidou doesn't win anything these days. But you never know. My prediction, about 6-2 6-3. But we'll see.

A two set win would be nice indeed. :)

She plays 2nd after 11am on Court 3. So we will finally able to see her play. :bounce:

18majors
Jan 17th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Yes, she can! ;)

A two set win would be nice indeed. :)

She plays 2nd after 11am on Court 3. So we will finally able to see her play. :bounce:

Court 3, that's great news!

Omega1
Jan 17th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Court 3, that's great news! Yes :bounce:

Banditoo
Jan 17th, 2012, 02:46 PM
I hope that Fish will win easily his seconfd round match because I want to have chance to watch whole Jul's match. :bounce:

Rovegun
Jan 17th, 2012, 03:18 PM
can´t wait that match hopefully Julia makes us happy once again... it´s goint to be such a pleasure to see her play again:D

Johnbert
Jan 17th, 2012, 03:26 PM
can´t wait that match hopefully Julia makes us happy once again... it´s goint to be such a pleasure to see her play again:D

hm, maybe we see her another 6 times playing at this oz open, who knows?! :angel: :clap2: :lol:

Skoo
Jan 17th, 2012, 07:03 PM
I hope that Fish will win easily his seconfd round match because I want to have chance to watch whole Jul's match. :bounce:

I don't think so. Falla doesn't go down without a fight, unfortunately for us :)

Rovegun
Jan 17th, 2012, 07:07 PM
hm, maybe we see her another 6 times playing at this oz open, who knows?! :angel: :clap2: :lol:

I don´t believe it but it would be fantastic! :devil: :D

18majors
Jan 17th, 2012, 10:51 PM

It's legal to dream!

Skoo
Jan 18th, 2012, 03:14 AM
I don't think so. Falla doesn't go down without a fight, unfortunately for us :)

The bastard didn't go down at all :lol: Excuse the offtopic :)

Dispeker
Jan 18th, 2012, 03:17 AM
Morning Skoo ;) I already prepared myself for a 4th set.. God, I'm tired.

Banditoo
Jan 18th, 2012, 03:20 AM
Guten Morgen to eveyone! :lol:

Skoo
Jan 18th, 2012, 03:20 AM
Morning Skoo ;) I already prepared myself for a 4th set.. God, I'm tired.

Mornin'! I was, too, but Falla woke me up a bit. I saw him a few times and he always came close to winning against big players, but this time he really did it! :lol: Of course, I don't care about what he does, I stayed up to see Julia :)

Rovegun
Jan 18th, 2012, 03:24 AM
good morning, guys! you haven´t slept yet? I woke up at 3 am :D

Dispeker
Jan 18th, 2012, 03:24 AM
Mornin'! I was, too, but Falla woke me up a bit. I saw him a few times and he always came close to winning against big players, but this time he really did it! :lol: Of course, I don't care about what he does, I stayed up to see Julia :)

hehe, I went to bed at around 11 pm and woke up at 3.30 - at least 3,5 hours of sleep for me ;)

hang on, that's 4,5 hours, right? :D

Skoo
Jan 18th, 2012, 03:27 AM
hehe, I went to bed at around 11 pm and woke up at 3.30 - at least 3,5 hours of sleep for me ;)

hang on, that's 4,5 hours, right? :D

Yes, my calculator says it's 4,5 :lol: I don't have anything to do tomorrow, so I can afford no sleep :) But Julia looks pregnant again, nevertheless :lol:

Banditoo
Jan 18th, 2012, 03:28 AM

I woke up at 4 am.. I must go to scholl at 7:30 am. And I can watch few part of Jul's match... :sad:

Skoo
Jan 18th, 2012, 03:30 AM

I woke up at 4 am.. I must go to scholl at 7:30 am. And I can watch few part of Jul's match... :sad:

The sacrifices people do to see a talented player in action! With big boobs, too :lol:

Dispeker
Jan 18th, 2012, 03:35 AM
Morning Banditoo - ah just skip school tomorrow ;)

joy division
Jan 18th, 2012, 03:36 AM
Cuckoo !:wavey:

Banditoo
Jan 18th, 2012, 03:37 AM
Morning Banditoo - ah just skip school tomorrow ;)

Maybe julia will win her match quickly an i will have a chance to fo to school. :lol:

Rovegun
Jan 18th, 2012, 03:40 AM
The sacrifices people do to see a talented player in action! With big boobs, too :lol:

oh my god Skoo! your comments always get me:D

Dispeker
Jan 18th, 2012, 03:41 AM
Morning, Rovegun and JD ;)

Skoo
Jan 18th, 2012, 03:43 AM
oh my god Skoo! your comments always get me:D

Well, they are big :lol:

They even made Eleni twist her neck :lol:

Rovegun
Jan 18th, 2012, 03:53 AM
Well, they are big :lol:

They even made Eleni twist her neck :lol:

shut utp! I can´t catch my breath by laughing :D but to be honest they look bigger than usual which still surprises me :D I guess she´s got a very good bra

Skoo
Jan 18th, 2012, 03:54 AM
shut utp! I can´t catch my breath by laughing :D but to be honest they look bigger than usual which still surprises me :D I guess she´s got a very good bra

No, just gotta feed the baby :shrug: :lol:

CillyUltra
Jan 18th, 2012, 04:14 AM
Julia beats Eleni Daniilidou 62 20 ret.

:cheer: and makes it the 5th consecutive time into a GS 3rd round :cheer:

Rovegun
Jan 18th, 2012, 04:23 AM
and now we can look forward to the match against Oprandi... I don´t want to underrate her but there´s a much bigger chance to get into 4th round now anyway

HowardH
Jan 18th, 2012, 04:33 AM
It's a nice draw.

Although Oprandi can be frustrating to play, she is probably not used to going deep in a slam and will probably be a bit tired whereas Julia will be well rested.

Dispeker
Jan 18th, 2012, 04:34 AM
My dog! This could be her first fourth round! In the most unlikely context! :)

and now we can look forward to the match against Oprandi... I don´t want to underrate her but there´s a much bigger chance to get into 4th round now anyway

Yeah, the door is wide open now.

joy division
Jan 18th, 2012, 04:36 AM

The draw was very decent anyway, but now...
We never know with Julia, but she should take this golden opportunity.

joy division
Jan 18th, 2012, 04:43 AM
It's a nice draw.

Although Oprandi can be frustrating to play, she is probably not used to going deep in a slam and will probably be a bit tired whereas Julia will be well rested.

Oprandi lost to Mona last week at Hobart 1-6,4-6.

Rovegun
Jan 18th, 2012, 04:50 AM
The draw was very decent anyway, but now...
We never know with Julia, but she should take this golden opportunity.

yeah, definitely agree... even 4th round opponet could be Aga so I mean with Julia´s style of play she has a very nice opportunity to reach QF of the Oz Open but I guess we shouldn´t look so much forward into the future let´s go round by round match by match and we´ll see what happens... Oprandi first...

joy division
Jan 18th, 2012, 05:07 AM
yeah, definitely agree... even 4th round opponet could be Aga so I mean with Julia´s style of play she has a very nice opportunity to reach QF of the Oz Open but I guess we shouldn´t look so much forward into the future let´s go round by round match by match and we´ll see what happens... Oprandi first...

As you said, Oprandi first.
I see Aga playing in another division, but style wise Julia has a chance to overrun her.

She as to be at 100 % to do so, but as she said herself you are never at 100 % at a Grand Slam:lol:, so I don`t know.

Johnbert
Jan 18th, 2012, 06:12 AM
well done jules :worship:

and oprandi beats schiavone! this is a great opportunity for r4! take it jules! :armed:

mk27
Jan 18th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Julia :yeah:

And now a good chance for her to reach the 4th round

Chip
Jan 18th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO JULIA!!!!!!!!

My favourite player ever since she hugged me in Auckland ♥

Johnbert
Jan 18th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO JULIA!!!!!!!!

My favourite player ever since she hugged me in Auckland ♥

lucky dude :mad::D

Chip
Jan 18th, 2012, 08:53 AM
lucky dude :mad::D

best hug ever. After her match I was like JULIA JULIA JULIA. Can you please sign my magazine pleaaaaaaaaaase. Then she said yes, then I said I clapped for you the whole game and she started laughing. Then I said can I have a hug and she hugged me :D

maturedgirl
Jan 18th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Julia :yeah:

And now a good chance for her to reach the 4th round

What a lucky girl. The draw is loving her :lol:
but she really deserved it...

18majors
Jan 18th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Congratulations Julia, you have been playing beautifully.

#kArLoS#
Jan 18th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Julia :yeah:.Too bad she won on a ret,but what can you do? :p

I was scared of Schiavone,but I see she´s lost to Oprandi :eek:.That sounds better BUT you can never get a win for granted,especially if your name is Julia Görges :p.Let´s just say she´s got a golden chance to reach her best result at a GS ever :angel:

Nina.
Jan 18th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Very nice to see Julia in round 3 again :yeah: with a decent chance to make round 4! Good luck

Johnbert
Jan 18th, 2012, 03:07 PM
julia bloggt auf t-online.de

http://sport.t-online.de/julia-goerges-blog-sehe-sieg-mit-lachendem-und-weinendem-auge-/id_53284596/index?news

Von Julia Görges

"Be happy !“ ist sozusagen die zweite Maxime der Australier neben "Don't worry". Sei glücklich! Ich bin es total, nachdem ich die Griechin Eleni Danilidou bezwingen konnte und nun - wie im letzten Jahr - in die Runde der letzten 32 eingezogen bin.

Im ersten Satz war ich sehr zufrieden mit der Umsetzung meines Matchplans. Leider zog sich Eleni eine Verletzung zu, die ihr ein Weiterspielen unmöglich machte. Den Sieg sehe ich mit einem lachenden und einem weinenden Auge.

Natürlich befriedigt eine Aufgabe der Gegnerin nicht vollends. Ich hätte gerne weiter den Ernstfall betrieben und versucht, mein Spiel auch im zweiten Satz durchzuziehen, um auch weitere Spielpraxis zu bekommen. Andererseits ist das Spielen auf den Courts bei der Wärme immer sehr anstrengend und ich habe den Verschleiß an Seele und Körper während eines Grand-Slam-Turniers durch dieses Vorkommnis im Rahmen gehalten und "Körner gespart". Die kann ich im Verlauf des Turniers sicherlich gut gebrauchen.

Mein Minimalziel habe ich also erreicht – den Einzug in die Runde der letzten 32 Spielerinnen. Damit habe ich auch im Hinblick auf die WTA-Rangliste mit ihrem doch etwas komplizierten Punktesystem meine Punkte im Vergleich zum letzten Jahr verteidigt, was zu einer Stabilisierung des Ranglistenplatzes führt. Soweit, so gut!

Ein Grand Slam hat seine eigenen Gesetze

Nun geht es gegen die Italienerin Romina Oprandi. Von der Papierform sicherlich eine lösbare Aufgabe, doch ein Grand Slam hat seine eigenen Gesetze und auch meine Gegnerin ist mental gestärkt durch zwei Siege im Hauptfeld. Konzentration und Achtsamkeit sind auch hier gefragt.

Ich grüße herzlich aus Melbourne und be happy !

Eure Julia

HowardH
Jan 18th, 2012, 03:20 PM
By the way Oprandi had her thighs all strapped up against Francesca. Surely Julia can make her run and tire her out, the girl looks totally injured and exhausted. Fran lost because for some reason she couldn't keep the ball in play. At all. Her bh was totally off.

If Julia plays smart (tall order I know) she can probably force this girl to retire from the match as well.

Michael!
Jan 18th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Nice to see Julia in 3rd round of a slam again, I think she played a a decent match against Eleni! :)
A shame that Daniilidou was forced to retire but I think that Julia would have won anyway!

I never expected Julia to reach 4th round here but now when u see that she faces Oprandi u just have to say that she has to take such chances and reach the 4th round of a GS for the first time.
Good that she was able to save some energy today, tomorrow in doubles she can practice a bit and then get better again for her singles match but she has to be careful, Oprandi is in really good shape, had great challenger results in the end of 2010 already and is getting better and better but of course, her game is limited!

It is an advantage here that Julia already played Hercog and Daniilidou, who also have a quite unusual game and Julia beat Oprandi before, she knows what to do!
Julia´s biggest advantage is her 1st serve and her power, that should be normally too much for Oprandi but Julia has to stay patient, has to play smart and wait for her chances.

18majors
Jan 18th, 2012, 04:02 PM
By the way Oprandi had her thighs all strapped up against Francesca. Surely Julia can make her run and tire her out, the girl looks totally injured and exhausted. Fran lost because for some reason she couldn't keep the ball in play. At all. Her bh was totally off.

If Julia plays smart (tall order I know) she can probably force this girl to retire from the match as well.

Great that Julia plays well for a change; she hasn't been herself since 2011 French Open.

Chances are good that she continues to advance. It's good that nice girl finishes first.

lupojohn
Jan 18th, 2012, 08:44 PM
No excuses. If Julia doesn't make the QF, it's a major disappointment. Give Oprandi credit. Good she took Schiavone out(I usually root for the upset unless it's Petra, Vika, Julia or any American player), but Julia should overpower her. No guarantee Aggie(I don't like calling her Aga) beats Voskoboeva, but even if she does, Julia needs to play with controlled aggression. Again, no excuses not to get to the QF.

Michael!
Jan 18th, 2012, 10:58 PM
^^ I think no one (who is realistic) expects her to beat Radwanska these days :unsure:

HowardH
Jan 19th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Julia Goerges(GER) /Kaia Kanepi(EST) def. Raquel Kops-Jones(USA)[15] /Abigail Spears(USA)[15] 6-1 4-6 6-3

18majors
Jan 19th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Julia is scheduled to play 2nd match on Court 3.

Qalahari
Jan 19th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Super Sieg :eek: :bounce:

rucolo
Jan 19th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Well done for reaching R3, Julia! :hearts::):yeah:

Now Julia meets the third lesbian player in a row (Hercog, Daniilidou, Oprandi) :lol:

Skoo
Jan 19th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Well done for reaching R3, Julia! :hearts::):yeah:

Now Julia meets the third lesbian player in a row (Hercog, Daniilidou, Oprandi) :lol:

Let's hope Oprandi wants a hug, too :lol: No, I'm mean now. It is a big event for her and it would not be nice to retire. Better said, let's hope Julia plays well and destroys her :)

rucolo
Jan 19th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Let's hope Oprandi wants a hug, too :lol: No, I'm mean now. It is a big event for her and it would not be nice to retire. Better said, let's hope Julia plays well and destroys her :)

Yeah, let`s hope Julia is on fire today. Oprandi scares me :tape:

Skoo
Jan 20th, 2012, 12:41 AM
Men's doubles match might be very short :bounce:

Dispeker
Jan 20th, 2012, 01:07 AM
Noo, I'm still watching Mona...

Skoo
Jan 20th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Noo, I'm still watching Mona...

Blasphemer! :lol: Hey, it seems like we're lucky until now.

Dispeker
Jan 20th, 2012, 01:18 AM
Blasphemer! :lol: Hey, it seems like we're lucky until now.

:) Yes, we are. God, I'm a bit nervous now... such a big chance for her.

Skoo
Jan 20th, 2012, 01:21 AM
:) Yes, we are. God, I'm a bit nervous now... such a big chance for her.

Indeed. Somehow, I'm not nervous. Got disconnected in the off-season :) Anyway, I saw a strapping on her lower back and I had a USO deja-vu :[ Well, she will win Wimbledon anyway :lol:

CillyUltra
Jan 20th, 2012, 03:26 AM
Julia beats Romani Oprandi 36 63 61

and makes it the first time into the fourth round of a Grand Slam

:)

Vikapower
Jan 20th, 2012, 03:31 AM
:spit: This is turning to be a dream tournament for Jule... :drool: Who would have thought :eek: I knew she would have found form -- things a looking good for a QF. :worship:

crazillo
Jan 20th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Great to see that Julia delivers at the GS level while she hasn't done much outside of it since May. :)

Potapovushina
Jan 20th, 2012, 03:33 AM
Woot Gools! :bounce: :drool:

HowardH
Jan 20th, 2012, 03:33 AM
Well done. She won in the end, and that's what counts.

hankmoody
Jan 20th, 2012, 03:37 AM
:cheer::bounce:Jule!!:bounce::cheer:

Skoo
Jan 20th, 2012, 03:40 AM
:spit: This is turning to be a dream tournament for Jule... :drool: Who would have thought :eek: I knew she would have found form -- things a looking good for a QF. :worship:

Indeed. I was so pessimistic and you were so optimistic :worship: But I will be pessimistic again. Aga is going to thrash her :shrug:

joy division
Jan 20th, 2012, 03:46 AM
Indeed. I was so pessimistic and you were so optimistic :worship: But I will be pessimistic again. Aga is going to thrash her :shrug:

Blasphemy :no:

Skoo
Jan 20th, 2012, 03:49 AM
Blasphemy :no:

No, man, superstition. I didn't even think she will get past the second round. Now I will be pessimistic again so maybe she'll beat Aga :lol: But putting superstition aside, like Michael said, her chances are minimal :)

Dispeker
Jan 20th, 2012, 03:50 AM
Julia can play without any pressure - now the third round course is finally broken. Aga is of course the favourite, but Julia has definitely a chance here, imo.

joy division
Jan 20th, 2012, 03:52 AM
No, man, superstition. I didn't even think she will get past the second round. Now I will be pessimistic again so maybe she'll beat Aga :lol: But putting superstition aside, like Michael said, her chances are minimal :)

That`s what we call Zweckspessimismus.:lol:

Vikapower
Jan 20th, 2012, 03:54 AM

Well we're like in an army on the battlefield, yeah ? :D We don't leave companions go astray or abandon them like that... :lol:

Anyways whether she gets trashed or not by Aga, Julia succeeded her tournament... :worship: Just like in US Open last year, she shows that she can bring up the goods when it counts... I just hope that these are the signs of a promising season especially in regular tour events (Mandatories, P5's etc...).

Aga is a top player so I guess she's supposed to win that battle, hopefully Julia gives her very best. :yeah:

joy division
Jan 20th, 2012, 03:54 AM

I agree, she has no chance but she should use it.:lol:

Vikapower
Jan 20th, 2012, 03:56 AM
Julia can play without any pressure - now the third round course is finally broken. Aga is of course the favourite, but Julia has definitely a chance here, imo.

If Julia gives her best she'll give herself chances to win -- she's pressure-less so I hope she'll play her role of underdog plainly and go for her shots and game... the final result then will do the speaking, hope it'll be positive.

CillyUltra
Jan 20th, 2012, 03:57 AM
Well we're like in an army on the battlefield, yeah ? :D We don't leave companions go astray or abandon them like that... :lol:

Anyways whether she gets trashed or not by Aga, Julia succeeded her tournament... :worship: Just like in US Open last year, she shows that she can bring up the goods when it counts... I just hope that these are the signs of a promising season especially in regular tour events (Mandatories, P5's etc...).

Aga is a top player so I guess she's supposed to win that battle, hopefully Julia gives her very best. :yeah:

:clap2:

Skoo
Jan 20th, 2012, 04:01 AM

Aye, the goddess hath given us promising signs, namely, she can win despite her poor condition. But her opponents were not the strongest ones. Fortuna was on her side. So still methinks needs to get better does she :lol: After that, we will have our full reward, because our goddess possesses great skills.

I agree, she has no chance but she should use it.:lol:

Word :lol:

Skoo
Jan 20th, 2012, 04:04 AM
If it has any relevance, she is the most talked player on GM :)

joy division
Jan 20th, 2012, 04:22 AM
A After that, we will have our full reward, because our goddess possesses great skills.

Therefore we should be optimistic.
No pressure here, good physical shape.
When she finally manages to stay calm on this stage, she actually has a chance.
Another great opportunity to raise her level of play and mature.

Vikapower
Jan 20th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Therefore we should be optimistic.
No pressure here, good physical shape.
When she finally manages to stay calm on this stage, she actually has a chance.
Another great opportunity to raise her level of play and mature.

Radwanska leaves margins for her opponents to play their games, at least this will give Julia a chance to compete in the exchanges and match overall at this level of the competition -- contrary if she'd have played a Serena, Maria or Victoria for example also Clijsters.

In theory Julia should/can/might/will decide of the outcome, she has the better serve, the bigger weapons etc... but a pessimistic sign is that BMS hit 60+ winners or so against Aga and she still lost. Julia hit 50 winners or so against Marion in RG and had lost so I hope Julia will be consistent first and foremost.

As you said it's a great opportunity for Julia to gain experience again on the bigger stages...

Johnbert
Jan 20th, 2012, 05:27 AM
julia, i can't... :facepalm:

why always so complicated?! :fiery: that first set... :help: however, first r4 in her carrer :drool: :worship: :angel:

Rovegun
Jan 20th, 2012, 05:58 AM
maybe we could believe in her a bit because I feel an upset in the air:D no, I feel Julia could make it tough for Aga and I believe with Julia´s style of play she can win the match even though Aga is a tough playert to beat...

Aga hasn´t got any big strokes but she plays consistently well and her drop shots work well so today Julia had a good practice in running for the balls :D looking forward so much to the match hopefully Eurosport will give us a chance to watch our Jule

mk27
Jan 20th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Julia :)

She hasn't lost against an unseeded player at a Grand Slam since US Open 2008. :angel:

joy division
Jan 20th, 2012, 07:05 AM
In her recent interview, posted by Dispeker from December 2011, she mentioned some thoughts that I never heard of her before.

"Manche Aspekte, wie das Mentale und die Fitness, haben dann einen großen Wert. Wenn man müde ist, muss man über diesen Punkt hinweggehen und trotzdem mit voller Konzentration Tennis spielen. Und irgendwann ist man über diesen Punkt hinweg und merkt die Müdigkeit nicht mehr. Und genau das muss man beim Training lernen, indem man immer wieder über die eigenen Grenzen hinausgeht."

"Some aspect like mental strength and a good fitness are of major importance.
When you are tired you have to go further and still play tennis with full concentration.
And at some point you cross the line and don`t feel the fatigue anymore.
That`s exactly what I have to learn in my practice time, by exceeding my own limits again and again."

Imo she moves her experiences of the last season in her mind in a very good way.
To perform well and succeed at this stage against a smart and well defending player like Aga is still something very different.
But it could definitely help her to get a better attitude overall on the court.

Dorien.
Jan 20th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Well done Julia :) Romina isn't an easy player to handle.

CillyUltra
Jan 20th, 2012, 09:22 AM
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/5233/112304755normal.jpg juliagoerges Julia Goerges
busy day at the office today.won my singles and through to my first grand slam second week,very excited.was great put there+amazing support! thanks so much for that!unfortunately we lost our doubs to 2great players.but we had a lot of fun out there.tmrw just practice+now chillin;)

CillyUltra
Jan 20th, 2012, 01:12 PM
First of all I heard it from a German Eurosport Commentator and it's confirmed in the article I've posted. She needs contacts of 6 diopters. :unsure:

Vikapower
Jan 20th, 2012, 01:24 PM
First of all I heard it from a German Eurosport Commentator and it's confirmed in the article I've posted. She needs contacts with 6 diopters. :unsure:

That's a lot, I'm at 7, it's just glasses but Julia is completely blind, eventually not playing with words there :lol: but what's the problem with 6 diopter contact lenses ?

"Some aspect like mental strength and a good fitness are of major importance.
When you are tired you have to go further and still play tennis with full concentration.
And at some point you cross the line and don`t feel the fatigue anymore.
That`s exactly what I have to learn in my practice time, by exceeding my own limits again and again."

Imo she moves her experiences of the last season in her mind in a very good way.
To perform well and succeed at this stage against a smart and well defending player like Aga is still something very different.
But it could definitely help her to get a better attitude overall on the court.

She also forgot when she's sick/ill -- Julia has these in her, against Arn in the 3rd set in Auckland for example, it's just a question of doing it when not only sick, tired etc... but every time (to push herself I mean like the top players do week in-out) so I hope this is a good step forward.

Michael!
Jan 20th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Great fight from Julia after that horrible start :yeah:
I didn´t really expect her to come back after being down 36 23 but she never gave up, great to see that she was able to turn around the match!
Start was really bad, she was too tight, problems with her eyes, no rhythm , just horrible!
But it was getting better than in 2nd set, serve was stronger and it was quite predictable that Oprandi, who is never really fit, would have no chance in 3rd set.

Great to see her in the 4th round of a slam, but she really had to achieve that with a draw like that! :D
I don´t expect her to win against Radwanska now, I mean, 3rd set against Oprandi was great but Julia can´t play on such a good level for long usually. Often plays one great game followed by 3 terrible games afterwards, that won´t be enough against someone like Radwanska!

But Julia obviously has all weapons u need to beat Rad but she just won´t be consistent enough, I fear!
Well, still good luck, maybe she can surprise somehow, u never know!
I hope that she stays healthy now and that this 4th round here in Melbourne gives her some confidence back for the following weeks. :)

Rovegun
Jan 20th, 2012, 03:05 PM
First of all I heard it from a German Eurosport Commentator and it's confirmed in the article I've posted. She needs contacts of 6 diopters. :unsure:

That's a lot, I'm at 7, it's just glasses but Julia is completely blind, eventually not playing with words there :lol: but what's the problem with 6 diopter contact lenses ?

I use contact lenses 4 diopters at one and 3,5 at another eye but Julia has got 6 diopters? wow who did knew that? I have seen her with glasses only once and it was a pic from her twitter... always good getting to know more about Jule

Michael!
Jan 20th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Julia, our sexy mole :drool:

Rovegun
Jan 20th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Julia, our sexy mole :drool:

Do you really think Julia is our Czech national kids hero called the Little Mole? :D

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/9027/krtek.jpg

18majors
Jan 20th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Congratulations Julia on reaching R4.

lupojohn
Jan 20th, 2012, 04:19 PM
I disagree with Vikapower. I don't think it's a successful tournament for Julia unless she beats Aggie.

Michael!
Jan 20th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Do you really think Julia is our Czech national kids hero called the Little Mole? :D

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/9027/krtek.jpg

the Czech hero was on German TV as well :hearts: :lol:

Rovegun
Jan 20th, 2012, 05:29 PM
the Czech hero was on German TV as well :hearts: :lol:

:D even the Mole has visited universe with an American astronaut so our sexy mole called Julia has been there as well :D :lol:

Skoo
Jan 20th, 2012, 07:27 PM
I disagree with Vikapower. I don't think it's a successful tournament for Julia unless she beats Aggie.

So she reaches the fourth round for the first time in a pretty bad condition but it's not a successful tournament if one of the best players of the moment beats her? :) Does she have to beat Vika and Petra as well? :)

Johnbert
Jan 20th, 2012, 08:00 PM
So she reaches the fourth round for the first time in a pretty bad condition but it's not a successful tournament if one of the best players of the moment beats her? :) Does she have to beat Vika and Petra as well? :)

it's only a successful tournament if she finishes her job here

http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/sp/empics/20100117/12/1960037909-tennis-australian-open-2010-practice-day-melbourne-park.jpg

:kiss:

18majors
Jan 20th, 2012, 11:53 PM
Go Julia, win your next 2 matches.

#kArLoS#
Jan 21st, 2012, 01:58 AM
Julia for first time in a r4 at a major :bounce: :hearts:.About fucking time! ;)

match was weird tho,as is Oprandi´s style...Julia too up and down,as usual,but I believe that won´t be enough to get past Radwanska...she needs to be steady,so let´s pray she gets to play in one of her good days :awww:

18majors
Jan 21st, 2012, 08:34 AM
You can do it Julia, beat Radwanska.

Ian Aberdon
Jan 21st, 2012, 11:18 AM
Good luck Jule! :D

Nena_xxx
Jan 21st, 2012, 12:16 PM
Julia can beat Radwanska. Aga didn't play well during whole tournament, so there is massive chance for Julia. Go girl! :cheer:

joy division
Jan 21st, 2012, 01:53 PM
Saw Aga`s match against Mattek-Sands. Aga`s weaknesses became very obvious in this match.
Aga`s (second !) serve is extremely attackable.
Over all Bethanie was playing very aggressive and dictated the pace. That made her feel very uncomfortable. For the most of the time Aga was looking like the looser in this match, but somehow she managed to survive this.

Mattek-Sands had it in her hands, but failed in the end, because of her overexcited way of play and by being exhausted in the end.
Her winner/unforced errors ratio was incredible, about 60/80 when I remember right.:help::hatoff:
Even against Wozniacki at Copenhagen Julia did not reach such astronomic numbers.:D

But it was at the very early stage of the tournament.
Aga as a good and experienced competitor can raise her level of play and will be on guard.
Nevertheless the tactical direction in this match should be clear for Julia.
Aggressive play with pace is her game. It actually is a good match-up for her.
Combined with some patience and mental ease she definitely has a chance here.
Mach et Julia ! :bounce:

Vikapower
Jan 21st, 2012, 01:53 PM

:D Well you set your standards and I can understand your position because Aga is very beatable and certainly with Marion and Zvonareva the most doable top 10's out there... realistically though I don't believe Julia is going to lose sleep because she would have lost to a top 10 in the second week of a major.

Before the AO, probably Julia just thought of giving her best and see what happens, she's in the second week, I'm sure she does want to go further and it's all up to her now to rise up to the occasion and make the QF [...]

[...] but to the latter, seriously in this state unless Julia catches huge fire her trip "should" end in QF... :lol: we're talking in conditional here but if that happens should be huge and very good prospect for RG [...] Julia's natural surface is clay and if (1) she maintain's form until there I'm sure you're seeing what I am seeing. ;)

Is it convenient to say that now Julia has passed the 1st week once she'll pass it in the next 3 majors and especially RG ? I hope so, she showed regularity in making all 3rd. rounds in all 4, now it was her 5th. consecutive 3rd. round in AO... so we'll see.

(1) In the certainty she doesn't make the same mistake like last year to skip Dubaï and Doha disrupting her positive and HC dynamic.

_inocencia_
Jan 21st, 2012, 02:01 PM
comeee on julee, pull the upset
cut down fh UE to have any chance
consistent, go!
there's slight chance, but we can hope, no

Vikapower
Jan 21st, 2012, 02:17 PM
Saw Aga`s match against Mattek-Sands. Aga`s weaknesses became very obvious in this match.
Over all Bethanie was playing very aggressive and dictated the pace. That made her feel very uncomfortable. For the most of the time Aga was looking like the looser in this match, but somehow she managed to survive this.

Mattek-Sands had it in her hands, but failed in the end, because of her overexcited way of play and by being exhausted in the end.
Her winner/unforced errors ratio was incredible, about 60/80 when I remember right.:help::hatoff:
Even against Wozniacki at Copenhagen Julia did not reach such astronomic numbers.:D

But it was at the very early stage of the tournament.
Aga as a good and experienced competitor can raise her level of play and will be on guard.
Nevertheless the tactical direction in this match should be clear for Julia.
Aggressive play with pace is her game. It actually is a good match-up for her.
Combined with some patience and mental ease she definitely has a chance here.
Mach et Julia ! :bounce:

That match is particular I think, Beth was going for broke or close on almost each of her shot... the issues with such a strategy is that it needs IMO that you be extremely precise in the hot moments of a match (BPs, SPs...) because of the amount of risk you take and this is what Bethanie wasn't able to do all the time... she often confounded phases where she simply just needed to play controlled aggressiveness without taking enormous risks with her super-risky one in the big moments...

Julia will not go for broke or perhaps she will but I doubt... players like Agatha it's not really a good strategy to make them expense themselves physically on court, that's what they're looking for left-right, left-right automatic tennis... I think you have to pin them or fixate them at one side of the court and work them from there, Julia has the ability to do that with her forehand side... so I hope she'll impose a lot of forehand to forehand rallies.

Another strategy like Beth used very well -- is being ingenious, so she very often came at the net sometimes in sneaky manners (like when she felt Agatha was going for a slice) and used a lot of drop-shots though a big component of her winners were flat shot strikes... but there's that element of uncertainty you create and this even against a player like Radwanska who reads the game pretty well.

Personally I hope Julia will make a mix of her beautiful angles combined with phases where she'll come up at the net -- also her serve REALLY will need to be working in such a match (1-2 points per game will be necessary) especially that there'll be relatively long exchanges if never Julia does not put her power shots in court early to gain confidence in that style for the rest of it if not, she'll probably take off and find herself rallying unnecessarily [...] she'll see that and try to correct the strategy by going more for her shots and many misses too. Julia is very good in 2-3 strike tennis so the serve needs to work well.

Agatha's defenses are very good, Julia must expect her best shots to come back into court and we all know how Julia can crack when the ball keeps coming back with quality like this....

One last, Agatha's serves is very mediocre especially the 2nd. serve -- Julia should amuse herself but not anyhow hopefully.

Julia played Caroline x2, Peng and also Cibulkova in majors so I hope by now she'd have found the trick -- relatively all these players play a kind of similar style with different degrees in terms of power etc... :lol:

Skoo
Jan 21st, 2012, 02:24 PM
Aga`s weaknesses became very obvious in this match.

Yes, and Julia will probably attack it and lose most of the points by hitting out or into the net. If she doesn't attack it, she will probably lose the rallies, it is very difficult to win a rally against Aga these days. The best thing for Julia would be for her to serve well and shorten the points. But when was the last time she served well? :scratch:

Is it convenient to say that now Julia has passed the 1st week once she'll pass it in the next 3 majors and especially RG ? I hope so, she showed regularity in making all 3rd. rounds in all 4, now it was her 5th. consecutive 3rd. round in AO... so we'll see.

(1) In the certainty she doesn't make the same mistake like last year to skip Dubaï and Doha disrupting her positive and HC dynamic.

Well, it all depends on how is she going to feel. She was pretty lucky with the draw this time. If she somehow beats Aga in this condition, better watch out! :D

Dispeker
Jan 21st, 2012, 02:37 PM
In an interview with NDR after her 3rd round win (which I can't find anymore) she said that she doesn't feel any pressure at all for her match against Aga. I think this is a big advantage for Julia. If she stays calm and sticks to her game plan, this could turn out to be a much closer match than most people think.

Skoo
Jan 21st, 2012, 02:40 PM
In an interview with NDR after her 3rd round win (which I can't find anymore) she said that she doesn't feel any pressure at all for her match against Aga. I think this is a big advantage for Julia. If she stays calm and sticks to her game plan, this could turn out to be a much closer match than most people think.

Calm always helps, but the problem here is that she's blind :lol:

Dispeker
Jan 21st, 2012, 02:59 PM
Calm always helps, but the problem here is that she's blind :lol:

Pff, the sexy mole will trash the pole.

Skoo
Jan 21st, 2012, 03:02 PM
Pff, the sexy mole will trash the pole.

I hope is right, what's coming out of your pie hole :lol:

Dispeker
Jan 21st, 2012, 03:09 PM
I hope is right, what's coming out of your pie hole :lol:

:lol:

When does the match start actually?

Skoo
Jan 21st, 2012, 03:18 PM

NB your 1:30.

Dispeker
Jan 21st, 2012, 03:31 PM

Great, that's quite early.

rucolo
Jan 21st, 2012, 04:11 PM
Julia for the first time in R4 of a Grand Slam! :hearts: :cheer:

No lesbian players left in Top half. I guess Julia will lose to Aga :sobbing:

joy division
Jan 21st, 2012, 04:22 PM
That match is particular I think, Beth was going for broke or close on almost each of her shot... the issues with such a strategy is that it needs IMO that you be extremely precise in the hot moments of a match (BPs, SPs...) because of the amount of risk you take and this is what Bethanie wasn't able to do all the time... she often confounded phases where she simply just needed to play controlled aggressiveness without taking enormous risks with her super-risky one in the big moments...

Julia will not go for broke or perhaps she will but I doubt... players like Agatha it's not really a good strategy to make them expense themselves physically on court, that's what they're looking for left-right, left-right automatic tennis... I think you have to pin them or fixate them at one side of the court and work them from there, Julia has the ability to do that with her forehand side... so I hope she'll impose a lot of forehand to forehand rallies.

Another strategy like Beth used very well -- is being ingenious, so she very often came at the net sometimes in sneaky manners (like when she felt Agatha was going for a slice) and used a lot of drop-shots though a big component of her winners were flat shot strikes... but there's that element of uncertainty you create and this even against a player like Radwanska who reads the game pretty well.

Personally I hope Julia will make a mix of her beautiful angles combined with phases where she'll come up at the net -- also her serve REALLY will need to be working in such a match (1-2 points per game will be necessary) especially that there'll be relatively long exchanges if never Julia does not put her power shots in court early to gain confidence in that style for the rest of it if not, she'll probably take off and find herself rallying unnecessarily [...] she'll see that and try to correct the strategy by going more for her shots and many misses too. Julia is very good in 2-3 strike tennis so the serve needs to work well.

Agatha's defenses are very good, Julia must expect her best shots to come back into court and we all know how Julia can crack when the ball keeps coming back with quality like this....

One last, Agatha's serves is very mediocre especially the 2nd. serve -- Julia should amuse herself but not anyhow hopefully.

Julia played Caroline x2, Peng and also Cibulkova in majors so I hope by now she'd have found the trick -- relatively all these players play a kind of similar style with different degrees in terms of power etc... :lol:

Very good post.
We don`t have to talk about her serve, it has to work in such a game.
I agree in the point that Julia has to avoid to get to often involved in longer rallies with mediocre pace. That`s the kind of play that Aga is looking for and she at her best when she`s in the rhythm and can attack or counter-punch out of this position. Julia might mostly come of the second best.
I can mainly see succeeding Julia with aggressive and pressure play, on serve and return.
Being in command at the line she should approach to the net or/and play these beautiful angles that you mentioned. Even Aga will have trouble to bring back these shots.
Her stop and even more her net play is not the best. Therefore I`d recommend against the drop-shot strategy as an effective weapon . When players loose this kind of points it always hurts a little bit more.

However, what really counts is on the court and we`ll see, I`m really looking forward to this.:bounce:

Rovegun
Jan 21st, 2012, 06:22 PM

Skoo is wrong in my opinion cause the match starts not before 12:30 pm which is 10 hours more than we have in our time zone... so the match starts at 2:30 am I guess...

Eurosport 2 is showing the match!

18majors
Jan 21st, 2012, 06:35 PM
Julia, show Radwanska that you're the boss.

Dispeker
Jan 21st, 2012, 06:47 PM
Skoo is wrong in my opinion cause the match starts not before 12:30 pm which is 10 hours more than we have in our time zone... so the match starts at 2:30 am I guess...

Eurosport 2 is showing the match!

Thanks for the hint, Rovegun.

Rovegun
Jan 21st, 2012, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the hint, Rovegun.

you´re welcome! I gave you one more hour to sleep at least :D

Dispeker
Jan 21st, 2012, 07:13 PM
you´re welcome! I gave you one more hour to sleep at least :D

I think I'll stay awake. I'm probably too excited anyway :)

Skoo
Jan 21st, 2012, 07:20 PM
Yes, I was wrong, NB 2:30 :)

joy division
Jan 21st, 2012, 07:31 PM
Yes, I was wrong, NB 2:30 :)

Men`s double match before, so we don`t know exactly.

lupojohn
Jan 21st, 2012, 07:31 PM

2nd on Hisense after the Bryan Brothers' 3rd Round doubles match. Not before 8:30 Eastern Standard Time.

Skoo
Jan 21st, 2012, 07:32 PM
Men`s double match before, so we don`t know exactly.

Aye, that's what NB (not before) stands for, lad :)

lupojohn
Jan 21st, 2012, 07:34 PM
I have a great feeling about the match tonight. I think Julia takes it in 3 sets.

Rovegun
Jan 21st, 2012, 07:56 PM
good luck, Jule! looking forward so much to the match! I guess we´ll see a three setter :D

Vikapower
Jan 21st, 2012, 09:30 PM
Very good post.
We don`t have to talk about her serve, it has to work in such a game.
(1) I agree in the point that Julia has to avoid to get to often involved in longer rallies with mediocre pace. That`s the kind of play that Aga is looking for and she at her best when she`s in the rhythm and can attack or counter-punch out of this position. Julia might mostly come of the second best.
I can mainly see succeeding Julia with aggressive and pressure play, on serve and return.
Being in command at the line she should approach to the net or/and play these beautiful angles that you mentioned. Even Aga will have trouble to bring back these shots.
(2) Her stop and even more her net play is not the best. Therefore I`d recommend against the drop-shot strategy as an effective weapon . When players loose this kind of points it always hurts a little bit more.

However, what really counts is on the court and we`ll see, I`m really looking forward to this.:bounce:

(1) Yes :yeah: but you know I believe that Julia can stay in medium-pace rallies with Agatha but it'd really depend of Julia's mood -- Julia can rally ad libitum with the polish because there's something she has that Agatha doesn't it her capacity to end points and if she's is precise in that department then there's no problem.

Agatha rallies so much is because she technically can not do better, so she's obliged to wait and work the point so that to find a better opening -- Julia has the choice, she can rally like Agatha knowing that she has the decision to end the points at her will or basically expose Agatha since the start with quick sequences in 2-3 shots etc...

The main aspect to watch IMO when Julia plays counter-punchers is how good she is at handling the pressure of exchanges (rally ball (length, spin...) etc...) especially off the back-hand (e.g., Linz 2011 versus Rodina wasn't good) let's say 5-7 shots and then how good she will be a terminating them with a winning play/shot, generally a forehand etc... that's always something she hasn't totally mastered yet against these styles of players.

Agatha and probably like all counter-punchers are quite good at annihilating the 1-2 first aggressive strikes to extend the exchange in their favor, it's almost inevitable with them unless if the ball comes really fast in average (e.g., Petra in Istanbul) -- but I think most of Julia's first offensive shots to take control over the exchange will be defended correctly and that's where she needs to be composed.

(2) :lol: I've always thought Julia has good net play, remember Luxembourg 2010 versus Angélique Kerber she was very good up there I found -- eventually her doubles match versus Pennetta in Auckland indicated a different tendency and confirms you. ;)

I agree that she could use the drop-shot but that'd be playing in Agatha's strength -- cat and mouse stuff... plus Agatha is that quick so I wouldn't use it too often unless in well precise situations -- :eek: but if you have a sickening success with that shot like Beth had then go ahead.

The most obvious solution would be for Julia to really drag Agatha in her department of play quick exchanges and pure brutality off the back court :worship: but it'll really not be easy with Agatha's athletic skills. GL Julia. :bounce:

Nina.
Jan 21st, 2012, 09:33 PM
looking forward to this one, good luck Jule :cheer:

hankmoody
Jan 22nd, 2012, 12:15 AM
Yep, ESP just confirmed 2.30.
I hope the Bryans will make it fast, not sure if I will make it till then!:yawn:

GL Jule!:)

18majors
Jan 22nd, 2012, 01:34 AM
Another 30 minutes may be?

Skoo
Jan 22nd, 2012, 01:37 AM
Another 30 minutes may be?

I think so.

joy division
Jan 22nd, 2012, 02:02 AM
Good morning boys and girls, here they come !:)
Hope Julia is not too nervous (like me). :unsure:

Skoo
Jan 22nd, 2012, 02:03 AM
Good morning JD! We'll see :)

hankmoody
Jan 22nd, 2012, 02:08 AM
Good morning guys and gals! (Or good night;) )
Prepared with Dr Pepper and NicNacs, time for some tennis!:)
Go Jule!:bounce:

18majors
Jan 22nd, 2012, 02:17 AM
Not a good start, down 0-3.

Rovegun
Jan 22nd, 2012, 02:25 AM
good morning, guys! what a bad start from our Jule :sad:

#kArLoS#
Jan 22nd, 2012, 03:02 AM
I won´t be harsh on her because she sure is down ATM but that was embarrasing :help: :tape: :weirdo: etc

let´s think about Fed Cup then.They have a very tough tie against the Czechs

Lisickifan84
Jan 22nd, 2012, 03:07 AM
From 10 Backhands there were 9 into the net.

Lisicki could change something in her game during the match, why Julia can't?. I'm so dissapointed. She can loose against a good Aga but not like the way she did it today!

Vikapower
Jan 22nd, 2012, 03:11 AM
(1) Yes :yeah: but you know I believe that Julia can stay in medium-pace rallies with Agatha but it'd really depend of Julia's mood -- Julia can rally ad libitum with the polish because there's something she has that Agatha doesn't it her capacity to end points and if she's is precise in that department then there's no problem.

Check = 0. And I sure did saw how the points were ended. :weirdo:

The main aspect to watch IMO when Julia plays counter-punchers is how good she is at handling the pressure of exchanges (rally ball (length, spin...) etc...) especially off the back-hand (e.g., Linz 2011 versus Rodina wasn't good) let's say 5-7 shots and then how good she will be a terminating them with a winning play/shot, generally a forehand etc... that's always something she hasn't totally mastered yet against these styles of players.

:weirdo: Check Julia handled it that well = 0. Rodina must have thrown a spell or something. :help:

Agatha and probably like all counter-punchers are quite good at annihilating the 1-2 first aggressive strikes to extend the exchange in their favor, it's almost inevitable with them unless if the ball comes really fast in average (e.g., Petra in Istanbul) -- but I think most of Julia's first offensive shots to take control over the exchange will be defended correctly and that's where she needs to be composed.

Check -- oh wait half, more than half weren't even in the court = 0 :help: and when they were inside 0 composure, 0 patience... and the smatches ? :weirdo:

Deceiving Julia, extremely deceiving. :banghead:

Michael!
Jan 22nd, 2012, 03:13 AM
that was so bad, it is almost funny again :lol:

Well, It was quite clear tht she won´t have a real chance here anyway but we can expect at least a bit more than that, that was embarrassing for her, won´t say much more ..250 pts she has in her bag, that is really great and she was really luck to get them.
She beat the player she had to beat but that´s it, not more! In general we have to say that Julia is pretty overranked right now anyway. She will have to improve much if she wants to be seeded further at the slams...

hankmoody
Jan 22nd, 2012, 03:43 AM
That was really an embarrasing performance from Julia!
Can`t really believe what I just saw!
Normally I would say 4th round is a really satisfying performance from her, but getting slaughtered like that is just embarrassing!
I think, I have never seen her worse... I better stop and go to bed now...:mad:

Vikapower
Jan 22nd, 2012, 03:58 AM
That was really an embarrasing performance from Julia!
Can`t really believe what I just saw!
Normally I would say 4th round is a really satisfying performance from her, but getting slaughtered like that is just embarrassing!
I think, I have never seen her worse... I better stop and go to bed now...:mad:

:lol: Later on I'll download the match... this ought to be a reference for the future and deserves further analyses... though there aren't any to make. :lol:

Anyways I'm happy Julia made the 4th. round and deceived it ended like that -- there are certainly other good moments to come in the season we'll see. :hug:

18majors
Jan 22nd, 2012, 04:45 AM
Hope we've just witnessed the worst match of Julia's career, everything will go up from now on.

crazillo
Jan 22nd, 2012, 06:39 AM
That was just bad and embarissing. Hope she just had a really bad day at the office because sometimes I start to think she just overachieved last spring. :sad:

marts30
Jan 22nd, 2012, 06:57 AM
Jules has spoken: "Julia Goerges
tough day at the office today:(unfortunately i was not able to show some good tennis today.one of those days,shit it happens in the fourth round of a grand slam.but i can still take a lot of positive things out of it and will learn from it.it was again great here,like every year!"

She's just inconsistent guys, and can put in matches like this, that's tennis - and what seperates the best from the rest. The best turn up a lot more often.

mk27
Jan 22nd, 2012, 10:41 AM
I won´t be harsh on her because she sure is down ATM but that was embarrasing :help: :tape: :weirdo: etc

let´s think about Fed Cup then.They have a very tough tie against the Czechs

I don't think Julia will play singles.

joy division
Jan 22nd, 2012, 11:06 AM
Jules has spoken: "Julia Goerges
tough day at the office today:(unfortunately i was not able to show some good tennis today.one of those days,shit it happens in the fourth round of a grand slam.but i can still take a lot of positive things out of it and will learn from it.it was again great here,like every year!"

She's just inconsistent guys, and can put in matches like this, that's tennis - and what seperates the best from the rest. The best turn up a lot more often.

There`s not much left for her to say in the public, so we can`t blame her.
But I don`t know what she is thinking in the back of her mind about her performance, I guess she must be very disappointed.

Not just the fact that she lost to a superior player, but the way she actually played was just abysmal.
Julia was completely frozen, no clue what to do there, no fighting spirit, no nothing.
I think we don`t have to look at details in her game, she just was not ready for this match.

Ahead of the AO she was affected by a flue, but she seemed to be pretty healthy again.
The draw was very comfortable, her first appearance in the fourth round of a Grand Slam - so we could have expected a little bit more of her.
Despite she has the skills to play better it seemed to be once again in over her head to play at that stage.
Aga is for sure a great player, but compared to her third round performances at last year`s Grand Slams her attitude in this match was even worse.
Everything she was talking about, her ambition, the improvement, the hard work for the new season and so on, is somehow reduced to absurdity by this kind of performance.
From this point of view this could be seen as a step back.
It will be even harder to get these bad experiences out of her mind she may assure as much as she wants "to learn of these matches".
Imo when fundamental things don`t change we will never see her getting close to the Top Ten in her career.
It`s a pity, but well, to be realistic - being a Top 50 player for a while already is a great achievement,

joy division
Jan 22nd, 2012, 11:33 AM

They definitely should save her from eventually getting battered by Petra or even Lucy.

mk27
Jan 22nd, 2012, 11:40 AM
They definitely should save her from eventually getting battered by Petra or even Lucy.

Safarova won't be there.
Kvitova, Benesova, Hradecka and Zahlavova-Strycova will play for the Czech Republic.

Dispeker
Jan 22nd, 2012, 01:13 PM
Judging from your comments here, it wasn't just a bad dream. I had this small glimpse of hope..

Everything she was talking about, her ambition, the improvement, the hard work for the new season and so on, is somehow reduced to absurdity by this kind of performance.

Exactly this. Surely this match will have an impact on her future career – whether positive or negative remains to be seen.

lupojohn
Jan 23rd, 2012, 04:43 PM

Yes, she will. Petko's out. We know Sabine will be one of the singles players. You think Barthel or Kerber will be chosen ahead of her?

lupojohn
Jan 23rd, 2012, 04:45 PM
I have to say: I love Julia. I love everything about her, but that performance was disgraceful. I know she tried her hardest, but you CANNOT have a no-show like that. Not under any circumstances. I tried to find ways to say something positive, but I couldn't.
That being said, I won't stop being a fan of hers.

Malkmus_
Jan 24th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Her performance against Aga was so :sobbing: :sobbing: :hysteric: :facepalm:
However, at least you can take positives from it - she will climb up the rankings and went the furthest in a slam so far. She has a while to get it out of her system too and put it behind her.

Ravanloon
Feb 4th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Julia Goerges training at Australian open 2012 - slow motion video
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ravanloon/6816521099/in/set-72157629168633737

Ravanloon
Feb 4th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Julia Goerges practicing her forehand and backhand at Australian open 2012 - slow motion video
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ravanloon/6816839449/in/set-72157629168633737/